Video: Tough night for Santorum

posted at 10:23 pm on February 22, 2012 by Allahpundit

Three clips for you of RS on the defensive at the debate in lieu of a Quote of the Day. First, the obligatory earmark colloquy with Romney, then the attack on his support for Arlen Specter (via BuzzFeed), and finally his cringeworthy admission that he took one for the team in voting for No Child Left Behind (via Breitbart TV). Reaction on Twitter and on righty blogs that I read was that he lost some traction tonight from having to explain himself so often. Per Nate Silver, InTrade apparently agrees: Santorum started the day with 13 percent odds of winning the nomination, but as I write this, he’s down to just 6.2 percent — a 53.7 percent drop. The consensus is that Newt had a good night too, albeit without any spectacular moments, which magnifies Santorum’s problem by threatening to pull away some of the conservative votes he desperately needs to inch past Romney in Michigan.

Second look at SMOD?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 8 9 10

Paul wasn’t comparing Republicans to Nazis. Can you try to be honest just once?

Dante on February 23, 2012 at 12:25 PM

All you do is call people liars. Don’t call me a liar when it’s, supposedly, someone else’s lie:

He was making a point that the German government used fabricated rhetoric in order to blame all their problems – both social and economic – on the Jews. There’s a certain sect of Republicans who do the same thing with the illegal aliens.

angelat0763 on February 23, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Will you apologize as freely as you call people liars?

MadisonConservative on February 23, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Israel is a tiny country. Three atom bombs would pretty much destroy it. While Israel has, reportedly, c. 200 bombs, there is no way they could deploy them if the country was leveled by a surprise attack. That’s why Iran, with her desire to eliminate “the Zionist entity” is an existential threat to Israel. And that’s why Israel’s only option may a preemptive strike.

MrLynn on February 23, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Weird, because Israeli intelligence says that Iran is not an existential threat. But anyway…if Israel thinks it’s in her sovereign interest to launch a preemptive strike if she’s threatened, she can. And Paul agrees that she has that right.

Dante on February 23, 2012 at 12:49 PM

MadisonConservative on February 23, 2012 at 12:42 PM

If a person is lying or being dishonest, then I’ll say so, especially when the truth has been pointed out to them. Unfortunately, you engage in lies and dishonesty a lot.

Dante on February 23, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Dante on February 23, 2012 at 12:50 PM

So the answer is no. Someone else made an assertion, I addressed it, you blamed me for the assertion, and refuse to admit you were wrong. Seems you’re the one with the dishonesty, hoping to hide behind projection.

Also not uncommon with diehard RP supporters.

MadisonConservative on February 23, 2012 at 12:53 PM

MadisonConservative on February 23, 2012 at 12:53 PM

YOU, have been a lot of things over the years posting here. A liar is not one of them. You’re one of the most honest pain in the ass I know.

hawkdriver on February 23, 2012 at 1:06 PM

MadisonConservative on February 23, 2012 at 12:53 PM

No, YOU made the assertion that a politician was comparing Republicans to Nazis.

why would anyone be insulted by a politician comparing Republicans and illegal aliens to Nazis and Jews

The poster just said that some Republicans blame illegal immigrants for our problems; he didn’t say that Paul was saying that.

There’s a certain sect of Republicans who do the same thing with the illegal aliens. (Don’t get me wrong – I blame the unfettered immigration from Mexico for driving wages down when certain sections of economy, like housing prices, were heating up. But it just showed me that the government can’t be trusted to manage the economy for the benefit of the middle class – not that the Mexicans are to be blamed for all our woes.)

Dante on February 23, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I’ve already explained that the establishment thing is a red herring created by hysterical and paranoid know-nothings. There’s no establishment behind Romney or anyone else.

joana on February 23, 2012 at 2:16 AM

There is no establishment – The Establishment

SparkPlug on February 23, 2012 at 1:09 PM

MadCon, sometimes I feel like with the new crowd, we ought to just let them have it. This will never be the same site it was a couple years back.

hawkdriver on February 23, 2012 at 1:10 PM

hawkdriver on February 23, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Sucks to be challenged, huh?

Dante on February 23, 2012 at 1:14 PM

hawkdriver on February 23, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Sucks to be challenged, huh?

Dante on February 23, 2012 at 1:14 PM

No. You’re a walking, talking point parrot. That’s not being challenged. It’s your tone that’s an irritant. Your arrogant, “I’ve stated it so they must believe me attitude”. I don’t think you’re accurate on but about 3-5 percent of the things you post about.

That and you’re a media thief. Copying is stealing. I just feel like I’m hanging out with a lower class crowd here these days. You know? Thieves and all.

hawkdriver on February 23, 2012 at 1:21 PM

hawkdriver on February 23, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I’m at the brink. Just don’t know where to go from here. I’ve even considered starting up a new venue myself that would cater to the crowd the original site attracted…but I don’t think I have the time.

But yeah…I swear, every new batch that comes in with open registration just seems to have more rotten apples than good ones.

MadisonConservative on February 23, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Dante on February 23, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Wow. How you have the gall to call anyone dishonest as you dodge left and right, defending anyone who agrees with you regardless of your own admission of their error, would normally be astonishing.

Instead, given that you’re nothing but a mindless cultist, no different than the Obamabots of a few years ago…it’s really only mildly baffling.

MadisonConservative on February 23, 2012 at 1:39 PM

hawkdriver on February 23, 2012 at 1:06 PM

You know you love that pain, snookums.

MadisonConservative on February 23, 2012 at 1:39 PM

MadisonConservative on February 23, 2012 at 1:37 PM

You’re right. Now, the lunatic is attacking me and trying to use my grandson in its argument. Is he/she/it a relative of Ed or AP? That Troll should have been banned a long time ago.

kingsjester on February 23, 2012 at 1:41 PM

kingsjester on February 23, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Should have been banned in the last election when it constantly talked about how ugly it thought Jeri Thompson was, to the point that even The Boss told it to knock off the crap. I honestly don’t know.

MadisonConservative on February 23, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Will you apologize as freely as you call people liars?

MadisonConservative on February 23, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Hahahahaha!!! Stop! Please! My sides cannot take much more of it! Hahahahahaha!!!! Madcon has his feelings hurt over lying?! I’ll say this for you madcon, you certainly are precious!

csdeven on February 23, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Back in 2008 I sent Gov. Romney a letter detailing the argument against the CAGW movement, suggesting he take the lead in opposing Crap-and-Tax. I never received a response, not even from a lowly staffer.

The only current candidate who has declared CAGW to be a hoax is Rick Santorum (the other Rick did, too, but he’s no longer a candidate). This is a vitally important matter, if we are to get the Luddites and Marxists out of the White House and the ‘science’ agencies, like the EPA, and that is essential if we are going to get back on the path of growth and progress. ‘Progress’ is a dirty word to the Left.

So far, Mitt has done nothing but waffle on the issue. It’s a serious disqualification for me, along with his general inability to, as Charles Krauthammer said, “speak conservative.”

MrLynn on February 23, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Great point. This is overlooked far too often for some reason!

This is one of the core conservative issues that Mittens is dead wrong on.

I thought conservatives were supposed to stand for something!

Mittbots: do you believe in global warming?

LevinFan on February 23, 2012 at 3:42 PM

MadisonConservative on February 23, 2012 at 1:39 PM

That’s right, do everything you can to evade.

Dante on February 23, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Dante on February 23, 2012 at 1:14 PM

There was a day here at Hot Air when a person could be confident that they could share limited information about their family without fear of someone stalking them. Then we had this group of trolls start with their nonsense and they ran HA into the toilet. My advice to you is this: DO NOT SHARE ANY PERSONAL INFORMATION WITH THE GROUP WHO ARE ATTACKING YOU IN THIS DISCUSSION. They are bitter and hold grudges for YEARS. They collect and collate hundreds of comments for use at a later time.

csdeven on February 23, 2012 at 3:46 PM

kingsjester on February 23, 2012 at 1:41 PM

MadisonConservative on February 23, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Could you two be any more whiny and 8itchy?! You obsess on every person that gets the better of you. Here’s a clue…..no one wins every argument (as if that is what we do here, but whatever). There is no reason for you two to carry grudges for years and years. Seriously, don’t you have something more important to expend your efforts on than obsessing on anonymous people on the interwebs? Nothing that happens at Hot Air is worth the emotionally capital you spend here. I have watched you two (and your ilk) go on for hours about someone that hasn’t logged on to HA in days. Clearly, they inhabit your heads 24/7/365.

Get a life guys!

lol

csdeven on February 23, 2012 at 3:52 PM

MadisonConservative on February 23, 2012 at 1:37 PM</blockquote

Start a blog. I'm there.

hawkdriver on February 23, 2012 at 4:35 PM

csdeven on February 23, 2012 at 3:46 PM

You stated varying information at different times, and I remember it. Sorry if that hurts your feelings, but whining won’t help.

MadisonConservative on February 23, 2012 at 4:53 PM

hawkdriver on February 23, 2012 at 4:35 PM

I’m thinking about it.

MadisonConservative on February 23, 2012 at 4:54 PM

csdeven on February 23, 2012 at 3:46 PM

MadisonConservative, the thing I don’t understand is why it would tell someone to watch what info they give out after things it does. This was a thread in Jan where it actually linked to pictures of it’s supposed kid. Not real bright if you ask me. Is it just nuts? I’d also be honored to comment on a blog if you put one up.

smoothsailing on February 23, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Does it make any sense that Santorum criticized Olympic earmarks he voted for? Oh, I get it, he was just being a Team Player again.

MadJayhawk on February 23, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Anyone who supported the despicable Arlen Specter for reelection for whatever reason shouldn’t be the Republican nominee.

Specter, for what is it worth, said that he did not make a deal with Santorum to support Roberts and Alito as Santorum alleged in the debate. Specter said he supported Roberts and Alito because he thought that they were qualified for the job. Who is lying, Specter or Santorum? Flip a coin.

MadJayhawk on February 23, 2012 at 6:10 PM

This is good advice.

A few years ago I have posted on liberal websites as a conservative and was tracked down. Nothing bad happened but it was extremely scary. Some of these people hate conservatives with a burning passion and I absolutely believe it is within the realm of possibility that they could physically or financially harm someone. Do not make it easy for them by giving them person information about yourself or your family.

Obama and probably other politicians run sophisticated web operations that can, more than likely, track down supporters as well as those who oppose them. If Google and Facebook can do it they can too. What they do with all this information is anyone’s guess.

It is getting downright scary if you like to comment on pages like this as a hobby. I hate to think that it could become or is hazardous to your health.

MadJayhawk on February 23, 2012 at 6:26 PM

So this post doesn’t get promoted to “Hot Picks” but these do?

I thought HA promotes posts based on the amount of comments, with the occasional exception for a non-political post or QotD. What makes a post a “Hot Pick”?

This is an honest question, I’m not seeking to reignite the Mitt sucks/Rick sucks debate.

The Hort on February 23, 2012 at 11:31 PM