Video: Tough night for Santorum

posted at 10:23 pm on February 22, 2012 by Allahpundit

Three clips for you of RS on the defensive at the debate in lieu of a Quote of the Day. First, the obligatory earmark colloquy with Romney, then the attack on his support for Arlen Specter (via BuzzFeed), and finally his cringeworthy admission that he took one for the team in voting for No Child Left Behind (via Breitbart TV). Reaction on Twitter and on righty blogs that I read was that he lost some traction tonight from having to explain himself so often. Per Nate Silver, InTrade apparently agrees: Santorum started the day with 13 percent odds of winning the nomination, but as I write this, he’s down to just 6.2 percent — a 53.7 percent drop. The consensus is that Newt had a good night too, albeit without any spectacular moments, which magnifies Santorum’s problem by threatening to pull away some of the conservative votes he desperately needs to inch past Romney in Michigan.

Second look at SMOD?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 10

Hang in there Newt…!!!

Seven Percent Solution on February 22, 2012 at 10:26 PM

No sweet meteor of death, please.

Philly on February 22, 2012 at 10:26 PM

When you’re number one, you are always the target and when you have the liberal press leading the discussion, you are always a loser.
If I get one more Romney Robocall here in Michigan, I swear, I’m going to vote for Ron Paul!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He disgusts me and he and his brainwashed father are not all that respected here.

flytier on February 22, 2012 at 10:27 PM

He’s a light-weight. Goodnight, Rick. Say some prayers so Satan doesn’t get you.

John the Libertarian on February 22, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Newt may get some of Rick’s support, but barring a miracle, I don’t see Newt getting another lifeline. Romney over SMOD.

Philly on February 22, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Santorum is too naive. Rule number 1, never admit to anything! Don’t call attention to your weaknesses.

residentblue on February 22, 2012 at 10:28 PM

I have to say that there were moments for each of the candidates tonight where my husband and I literally high-fived each other. Even Ron Paul. It’s like now that I’m used to him, he’s kind of cute.

cynccook on February 22, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Lot of booing tonight…

RAXTSFK on February 22, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Paul killed it, he makes too much sense.

rndmusrnm on February 22, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Yeah, but did they all have ash on their heads?

catmman on February 22, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Rick is on Greta now. He was looking a bit sheepish at first.

Philly on February 22, 2012 at 10:29 PM

I forgot who said it in the Open Thread…

… but Angry Bird Mitt had me laughing out loud!

Well done…!

Seven Percent Solution on February 22, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Welcome to frontrunner status, Rick.

KingGold on February 22, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Not sad that he stumbled. I don’t want him to be our nominee.

gophergirl on February 22, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Romney has jumped up to 78% on InTrade which means that the Santorum surge is evaporating.

Newt the 50 pound pigeon will never fly again. Newt was all about the applause lines. Add to this the fact that he has lost women voters and that is fatal for any candidate.

NickDeringer on February 22, 2012 at 10:30 PM

I may be in the minority here, but I thought the earmark discussion was refreshing. I thought Santorum made some good points about how the political process works. I know Ron Paul would like to slap deadbolts on the monuments and send everyone home, but that ain’t how it works.

cynccook on February 22, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Why did he vote to fund Planet Parenthood? Against right-to-work? For the Medicare bribe? Energy bill?

It was all Bush’s fault too? Or Satan’s?

Heck of a leader.

joana on February 22, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Tough night for Santorum. He played defense too much and pivoted a few times to offense but not enough. He hasn’t mastered the pithy soundbite a la Gingrich (or Palin). It seemed that during this debate, the candidates have narrowed to Santorum or Romney.

Frankly, I thought they all stunk. Nothing to get excited about, yet I’ll take ANY of them over Obama. Yeah, that includes the crazy Uncle.

conservative pilgrim on February 22, 2012 at 10:31 PM

When he said he “took one for the team” and that politics is a “team sport”, I wanted to harm my television. Santorum IS the problem with Washington DC. He disgusts me.

thphilli on February 22, 2012 at 10:32 PM

They were all awful tonight.

JPeterman on February 22, 2012 at 10:32 PM

I can never tell if Santorum is doing good or bad. It is like that teacher I had in European history class. I just cannot tune in to the man.

astonerii on February 22, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Paul killed it, he makes too much sense.

rndmusrnm on February 22, 2012 at 10:29 PM

o_O

You’re joking, right?

conservative pilgrim on February 22, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Santorum is like Romney. He tries to be something he’s not.

SouthernGent on February 22, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Paul killed it, he makes too much sense.

rndmusrnm on February 22, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Fixed it for ya’…

Seven Percent Solution on February 22, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Santorum to Nowhere..

Electrongod on February 22, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Sarah Palin will run as a third party candidate, and even if she doesn’t win, Willard will spend the rest of his days staring at the dumba$$ Pacific Ocena at his estate in La Jolla, muttering about how “they” took it all away from him.

Emperor Norton on February 22, 2012 at 10:35 PM

They were all awful tonight.

JPeterman on February 22, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Unfortunately, that’s as good as it gets. To the convention!

Fallon on February 22, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Sadly on SMOD can save us conservatives now.

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 22, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Santorum has this irritating way of projecting rightous arrogance in answering even the most vanilla of questions. He’s got a chip on his shoulder that’s very unappealling. I really think he’d be a far happier man if he actually followed his religous convictions and became a televangelist.

BettyRuth on February 22, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Romney and Santorum both blew it on earmarks. In fact, everyone sounded hackneyed, cynical, or just banal on the topic.

Santorum appears to me to be pulling a “Perry,” in terms of trying to go after Romney on the thin stuff instead of the important things. There really is no way to put a good smelly gob of indignation behind the “Dammit, you asked for federal funds for the Olympics!” theme. Better to just leave that one alone.

I didn’t think Santorum did as badly as AP seems to. He was getting audience props for hanging in there and not letting the Romney surges rock him in their exchanges.

It was a pretty good night for both Romney and Gingrich, however, so Santorum would have had to hit it out of the park to pull away from the pack, and he didn’t.

J.E. Dyer on February 22, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Romney is the nominee. Time to start fighting for him

Zetterson on February 22, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Rick is on Greta now. He was looking a bit sheepish at first.

Philly on February 22, 2012 at 10:29 PM

He’s out of his depth, not ready for the lime light, not ready for prime time. Even he can’t believe he’s a so called front runner. You can tell it in his face, he looks as though he’s expecting to wake up, like he stole something and fearing to be beaten up for it.

residentblue on February 22, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Rick Santorum is an example of everything that is wrong with our government and he proved that what Ron Paul said about him was true. I couldn’t believe it; Santorum admits he voted for Planned Parenthood because it was part of one of those huge package bills that also included some things he supported. Ok, so he votes for Planned Parenthood. Then, in order to balance it all out, he writes and/or sponsors another bill that will pay for abstinance teaching in the schools. This is exactly why we are going bankrupt..he is having the taxpayer pay for both sides of an issue, then he has the nerve to claim he is conservative..you know, a conservative team player. Is he really stupid or really corrupt?

Puma for Life on February 22, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Allah, have you been banned from Twitter or something? Lent just started today, so I don’t think you’ve given it up for that.

cynccook on February 22, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Romney is the nominee. Time to start fighting for him

Willard can go to H-e-double-hockey sticks.

We don’t need any steenking plutocrats!

Emperor Norton on February 22, 2012 at 10:38 PM

I disagree, I didn’t think it was a “tough night” for Santorum at all.

disagree with the Spin. MITT is the “angry bird” of the night.

PappyD61 on February 22, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Romney is the nominee. Time to start fighting for him and plan to vote Obama

Zetterson on February 22, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Yeah, that is so right on!

astonerii on February 22, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Romney is the nominee. Time to start fighting for him

Zetterson on February 22, 2012 at 10:36 PM

I’m afraid so…

Electrongod on February 22, 2012 at 10:38 PM

One other thing I can’t get over is once again the lack of questions about Fast and Furious, Solyndra, FourSquared.

So sick of the Stupid party continuing to do debates moderated by liberals on LSM.

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 22, 2012 at 10:38 PM

SMOD supports contraception. Permanently.
SMOD will prevent Iran from getting a nuke. Ever.
SMOD will cut spending to zero.
SMOD will institute a flat tax. And a flat planet.

SMOD 2012: Conservative. Decisive. 25,000 mph.

Hollowpoint on February 22, 2012 at 10:38 PM

This is pretty much how I thought tonight would go. Santorum just sucks.

Roymunson on February 22, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Rick S as the new big cheese on the block (as expected) got the mice nibbling at his rear end ! Newt came across as the wise old dog in the room. Mitt Romney, just too slick and just don’t believe his conservative credentials but he does have nice hair. Ron P, still has his tin foil hat on at times when it comes to his foreign policy. CNN not kind to all four.

Sandybourne on February 22, 2012 at 10:39 PM

I think after tonight, Newt can get back into this thing ..

Shain1611 on February 22, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Santorum to Nowhere..

Electrongod on February 22, 2012 at 10:35 PM

LOOOOOOOOOOOOL That’s it, bed time now.

residentblue on February 22, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Emperor Norton on February 22, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Ummm yeah. That’s an “interesting” imagination you have there.

Zetterson on February 22, 2012 at 10:40 PM

There’s always Pittsburgh, Rick.

Philly on February 22, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Sarah Palin will run as a third party candidate, and even if she doesn’t win, Willard will spend the rest of his days staring at the dumba$$ Pacific Ocean at his estate in La Jolla, muttering about how “they” took it all away from him.

Emperor Norton on February 22, 2012 at 10:35 PM

…With long fingernails and long unkempt gray hair? Awesome.

Fallon on February 22, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Agitprop.

We’re no better than they are.

SD Tom on February 22, 2012 at 10:41 PM

R

Romney is the nominee. Time to start fighting for him

Willard can go to Hell.

What? A filthy rich preppie more arrogant than Trump? Really?

No, to Hell with Willard.

And to Hell with National Review Online.

Emperor Norton on February 22, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Romney is the nominee. Time to start fighting for him

Zetterson on February 22, 2012 at 10:36 PM

“The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.”

sharrukin on February 22, 2012 at 10:41 PM

MITT is the “angry bird” of the night.

PappyD61 on February 22, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Hah. I missed that description on the Open Thread. He does look “odd” when he’s severely feisty–contrived and trying too hard.

conservative pilgrim on February 22, 2012 at 10:41 PM

I really didn’t think anyone was all that bad tonight. I agree with cynccook, everyone had some good moments. Maybe I’m missing something but I didn’t see any disasters.

I’ll be honest. I see my choice as between Romney and Santorum. And I really will be comfortable with either choice. They are both preferable to Obama.

azkag on February 22, 2012 at 10:42 PM

A Solid B.

But Obama is a Solid B+.

profitsbeard on February 22, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Unfortunately, that’s as good as it gets. To the convention!

Fallon on February 22, 2012 at 10:35 PM

And Obama is laughing his arse off.

JPeterman on February 22, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Actually, from those two clips provided I really don’t think Santorum did that bad to be honest. I didn’t get to watch any of it though beyond that. I’ve come to accept that he’s kinda like Paul, really not that bad when he’s not going “full retard”.(<—–Movie reference, not intended to cause offense. Apologies in advance. :))

Boomer_Sooner on February 22, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Basilsbest on February 22, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Bigots? Really? Are you moonlighting as bluegill?

conservative pilgrim on February 22, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Well, realistically, I don’t think anyone would be willing to attribute Santorum’s rise to any debate performance. Likewise, even when Romney’s had good debates he doesn’t seem able to move past 25%. It seems hard to believe that the Republicans of the nation are going to turn their lonely eyes to Ron Paul or back to Newt, so I doubt things will change much after tonight.

cynccook on February 22, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Newt won, hands down. I don’t give two hoots about the rest of them.

Connie on February 22, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Check drudge….

He is going full steam with the Romney worship

liberal4life on February 22, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Sandybourne on February 22, 2012 at 10:39 PM

How can you not believe them? His record is what it is, not a matter of opinion.

Go RBNY on February 22, 2012 at 10:44 PM

SMOD supports contraception. Permanently.
SMOD will prevent Iran from getting a nuke. Ever.
SMOD will cut spending to zero.
SMOD will institute a flat tax. And a flat planet.

SMOD 2012: Conservative. Decisive. 25,000 mph.

Hollowpoint on February 22, 2012 at 10:38 PM

I don’t know if I can support SMOD, he seems to be on both sides of every issue.

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 22, 2012 at 10:44 PM

I disagree, I didn’t think it was a “tough night” for Santorum at all.

disagree with the Spin. MITT is the “angry bird” of the night.

PappyD61 on February 22, 2012 at 10:38 PM

If you don’t think Santorum had a tough night, you either didn’t watch the debate or live in an alternate universe in which Rick didn’t screw the pooch tonight like he did here.

Hollowpoint on February 22, 2012 at 10:45 PM

AT least Santorum changed the narative. He went from a women hating religious nut to a big government spending Bush shill. The real Rick Santorum, and the one I dislike.

rubberneck on February 22, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Check drudge….

He is going full steam with the Romney worship

liberal4life on February 22, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Cry harder.

Go RBNY on February 22, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 22, 2012 at 10:38 PM

That’s what happens when you have a candidate getting the narrative out of tracks with his rants about contraception and Satan. If you’re going to give the media this kind of opening, they’ll going to take it. Why do you think Kos is organizing the voting for Santorum and Obama’s PACs are running ads against Romney?

joana on February 22, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Let’s keep this going until the severe conservative throws us a bone.

Valiant on February 22, 2012 at 10:46 PM

SMOD wears red stilletos.

renalin on February 22, 2012 at 10:46 PM

They were all awful tonight.

JPeterman on February 22, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Roemer is running as an independent. First look?

rubberneck on February 22, 2012 at 10:46 PM

joana on February 22, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Oh, I didn’t realize that Santorum was writing the debate questions, too. That was clever of him. You’d think he would have gone easier on himself.

cynccook on February 22, 2012 at 10:47 PM

I like all these guys and marvel at their ability to tae incoming fire face to face and deflect as well as they do.

That said, I find myself moving into the Romney camp. He is, at the essence, a true conservative.

MaxMBJ on February 22, 2012 at 10:48 PM

SMOD wears red stilletos.

renalin on February 22, 2012 at 10:46 PM

But he’s not fooling anyone with that huge adam’s apple.

cynccook on February 22, 2012 at 10:48 PM

And Mitt Romney’s unintended lucky chance of fate has turned out to be that, through the search for some one, ANYONE not Romney, that he’s for the most part not been subjected to one of these clearly aimed at one candidate debates. It’s always at his opponents. They went after Gingrich exclusively, perry, now Rick.

Mitt’s time will come against Obama… Nervous.

Boomer_Sooner on February 22, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Check drudge….

He is going full steam with the Romney worship

liberal4life on February 22, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Oh, for crying out loud. That picture is ridiculous.

conservative pilgrim on February 22, 2012 at 10:49 PM

SMOD has more momentum than all the candidates combined.

Hollowpoint on February 22, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Roemer is running as an independent. First look?

rubberneck on February 22, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Hmmmm…………….No.

JPeterman on February 22, 2012 at 10:49 PM

SMOD wears red stilletos.

renalin on February 22, 2012 at 10:46 PM

You betcha.

davidk on February 22, 2012 at 10:49 PM

And Mitt Romney’s unintended lucky chance of fate

Willard will never be President. He has made too many enemies, and most of them are Republicans. Screw Willard!

Emperor Norton on February 22, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Sarah will be the nominee, you heard it here first.

celticdefender on February 22, 2012 at 10:50 PM

MaxMBJ on February 22, 2012 at 10:48 PM

And what ‘severely conservative’ things did he do in political office?

sharrukin on February 22, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Romney won. He was so good that he melted the stage he was on. He is the best candidate who ever walked the earth. Whenever he made a point, it was like a bullseye x 1000. How all of you can’t. See this explains what hating bigotty mcbiggots you all are!!!

portlandon on February 22, 2012 at 10:50 PM

cynccook on February 22, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Contraception questions were never asked at GOP primary debates at least since 1980.

Why do you think that suddenly they’re being asked this year? Not about the mandate, but the merits of contraception and of its legality.

Do you think we would be hearing about that or the influence of Satan in America’s political institutions if Santorum wasn’t running?

joana on February 22, 2012 at 10:51 PM

They were all awful tonight. JPeterman on February 22, 2012 at 10:32 PM

All of them were infinitely better than you. Especially Mitt.

Basilsbest on February 22, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Paul killed it, he makes too much sense.

rndmusrnm on February 22, 2012 at 10:29 PM

thirtyandseven on February 22, 2012 at 10:52 PM

What this guy was able to call Santorum Santorum and not Sweater Vest?

I don’t know anybody watches that debate and thinks Romney did that well, and Santorum was effective in turning around most of ROmney’s attacks.

Dr. Tesla on February 22, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Newt won. Gooooo Newt!

tinkerthinker on February 22, 2012 at 10:53 PM

And what ‘severely conservative’ things did he do in political office?

sharrukin on February 22, 2012 at 10:50 PM

He actually cut spending. Including the kosher meals for Holocaust survivors, remember? And he got his vetoes overriden by a liberal legislature hundreds of times. What was he supposed to do with a super-majority to deal with?

I don’t think his record is particularly inspiring, but at least it’s not as bad as Santorum’s.

joana on February 22, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Newt: Seemed tired, as if resigned to falling behind, but offered many good ideas and salient points, ‘outside the box’, in typical Newt fashion. Actually complimented Mitt on one of Mitt’s better responses: “Good one,” said Newt.

Rick: A reasonable performance, but reduced to brief stammers a few times; defended his endorsement of Spector well as necessary to keep him on the Judiciary Committee and get conservative Supreme Court justices through. But got booed by the audience. Congressional jockeying, as also for pork-laden budget bills, is hard to defend.

Ron: His usual schtick, good on the Constitution, idiotic on Iran.

Mitt: By far his strongest night: determined, articulate, well-prepared. Biggest disappoint was his continued failure to condemn Obamacare on principled, rather than technical, grounds, but otherwise strong.

I like Newt’s ideas, Santorum’s values, and Mitt’s determination—and Ron’s defense of freedom. Wish we could combine them in one candidate.

Prediction for August: a Romney-Santorum ticket, which would probably make Rick happy.

MrLynn on February 22, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Screw Willard!

Emperor Norton on February 22, 2012 at 10:54 PM

THIS. All along Santorum’s big government Bush compassionate conservatism has been my problem w/ him has well.

I’m hoping Newt has one more bit of umph left for Super Tuesday.

If not, Brokered Convention/Palin/SMOD 2012!!

davek70 on February 22, 2012 at 10:54 PM

That said, I find myself moving into the Romney camp. He is, at the essence, a true conservative™.

MaxMBJ on February 22, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Ann Coulter wholeheartedly agrees with you. BTW-You will be happy to know that Mitt Romney is the True Conservative™ and Sarah Palin is the Establishment.

Thank you Ann for setting me straight. /

conservative pilgrim on February 22, 2012 at 10:54 PM

I thought they were all decent tonight and I don’t include Paul as he’s not serious, but Santorum won the last half of the debate. Unless you like Romneycare.

Dr. Tesla on February 22, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Including the kosher meals for Holocaust survivors, remember?

joana on February 22, 2012 at 10:53 PM

You rarely make sense but this is a new level even for you.

sharrukin on February 22, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I will lose what remaining respect I have left for Rush Limbaugh if he doesn’t admit tomorrow that Santorum was BAD tonite; He has been so over the top in defense of, and praise of, Santorum for the past two weeks.

BettyRuth on February 22, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Dr. Tesla on February 22, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Well the Mitt worshipers disagree. They are barking at the moon in celebration.

SparkPlug on February 22, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Romney is the nominee. Time to start fighting for him

Zetterson on February 22, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Yep. It’s time for the Santorbots to admit he is nowhere near ready for primetime and untie behind Romney.

Roymunson on February 22, 2012 at 10:56 PM

All of them were infinitely better than you. Especially Mitt.

Basilsbest on February 22, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Mitt was awful too. Now don’t forget to call me a bigot, it’s all you Mittbots have left.

JPeterman on February 22, 2012 at 10:56 PM

azkag on February 22, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Thanks for typing for me! Except, I’m adding Newt too!

KOOLAID2 on February 22, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Sarah will be the nominee, you heard it here first.

celticdefender on February 22, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Let us know when you land back on planet Earth.

rubberneck on February 22, 2012 at 10:57 PM

MaxMBJ on February 22, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Please.

Romney is no true conservative.

INC on February 22, 2012 at 10:57 PM