Open thread: The last debate

posted at 7:47 pm on February 22, 2012 by Allahpundit

8 p.m. ET on CNN. There’s another debate tentatively scheduled for March 19 on PBS, but if Romney holds on in Michigan and then does well on Super Tuesday, he’ll have no incentive to participate and PBS will have no incentive to air it without him. So this is, in all likelihood, it: The last chance for Santorum to make the case against RomneyCare, the last chance for Romney to convince Republican voters that they’re better off with him for whatever reason, and the last chance for Gingrich to manufacture a poll bounce by grandstanding with the moderators. John King, his old nemesis, is back tonight, but a Gingrich campaign source says they’re eyeing this as an opportunity for him to seem “statesmanlike” while Romney and Santorum maul each other. Other Gingrich advisors tell the NYT that he needs to attack. Who’ll show, Good Newt or Bad Newt? Either way, Gingrich will have to focus on Santorum to try to reposition himself as the conservative alternative to Romney. You know who that benefits?

Two subplots tonight. One: Are Romney and Ron Paul quietly coordinating against Santorum and Gingrich? And if so, what’s Paul getting from Romney to do that? Go read Matt Lewis for an unlikely but irresistible theory on that. Two: How much time will be spent picking through Santorum’s rhetoric on contraception and other cultural hot buttons? His campaign team gently reminded the media today that most Americans share his belief in Satan, but it’s not the theological material that’s most problematic for him. The NYT notices a trend I’ve mentioned before:

The latest poll, conducted in Arizona by NBC News/Marist and released Wednesday, showed that women support Mr. Romney over Mr. Santourm 46 percent to 23 percent. In addition, Mr. Romney has an eight percentage point lead among men.

Some Democrats and others have criticized recent remarks by Mr. Santorum about barring women from combat roles in the military, and his personal disapproval of birth control. The latest polls may be showing the first signs that Mr. Santorum is alienating women — including Republicans — with some of his views.

A separate poll in Michigan by NBC News/Marist showed far less of a gender gap between the front-runners, but there was still a slight divide. Men were evenly split between the two top candidates, but 39 percent of women went for Mr. Romney to 33 percent for Mr. Santorum, a former Pennsylvania senator.

Nationally, Santorum’s numbers with women have vastly improved so I don’t know how to explain the gender gap in Michigan and, especially, Arizona. Can’t wait to see whether Romney tries to exploit it, though. Does he dare challenge Sweater Vest from the left on cultural issues given how skeptical the base already is about Mitt’s conservative bona fides?

Here’s the Hot Air/Townhall widget for livetweeting during the debate. Exit quotation from Haley Barbour: “It is not accurate to say that a hotly contested convention is necessarily bad. I am not saying it is necessarily good, but I don’t think it is accurate to say it is necessarily bad. Let’s just see.”

Update: Here’s CNN.com’s livefeed in case you’re stuck without a TV.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 19 20 21 22

All their songs sound the same

Night Owl on February 22, 2012 at 10:42 PM
I’d say that about Nickelback or Creed. NOT Floyd.

Myron Falwell on February 22, 2012 at 10:59 PM

OK. I was mainly saying that to irritate the troll. I never liked Pink Floyd very much and know almost nothing about them. My favorites back then were Jethro Tull and Led Zepplin. I only started liking The Who in the past few years.

Night Owl on February 22, 2012 at 11:09 PM

St Gaudens on February 22, 2012 at 11:02 PM

So legend has it. ; )

Bmore on February 22, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Thank you for playing, but you aren’t Jailbait. Lucky for you. ; )

Bmore on February 22, 2012 at 11:04 PM

LOL…I know. I’m a Pink Floyd idiot-savant, and I couldn’t help myself from jumping into the discussion.

St Gaudens on February 22, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Jailbreak

A work release program, where you get two weeks on and two weeks off?

KOOLAID2 on February 22, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Who the heck would want to live in that loser septic tank of a state?

Full of stupid Texans with a stupid governor.

cozmo on February 22, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Gee and I love you too.

Greetings from Dallas.

JPeterman on February 22, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Where did Bluegill go?

JPeterman on February 22, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Child labor laws.

katy the mean old lady on February 22, 2012 at 11:10 PM

And the stink from Texas pollutes the surrounding states.

cozmo on February 22, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Don’t you DARE take the name of Texas in vain.

Myron Falwell on February 22, 2012 at 11:11 PM

St Gaudens

As in the sculptor? He did a bust of my g.f. (whose name will remain a mystery in order to maintain my super secret identity).

Buy Danish on February 22, 2012 at 11:11 PM

So legend has it. ; )

Bmore on February 22, 2012 at 11:09 PM

If you want to play Pink Floyd trivia, ridle me this: give three names the band used prior to using “Pink Floyd” or “The Pink Floyd Sound.”

St Gaudens on February 22, 2012 at 11:12 PM

St Gaudens on February 22, 2012 at 11:09 PM

You I would venture to guess are also honest. Jailbait, not honest, and not to pinchy smart. Second time he has fallen prey to a trap.

Bmore on February 22, 2012 at 11:12 PM

it’s all about the power,shady, shady, shady…

golembythehudson on February 22, 2012 at 11:13 PM

CNN Post debate: Republicans are so extreme, they want to take women back to the dark ages.

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 22, 2012 at 10:09 PM

which is perfectly accurate, if you listen to Sanitarium discourse..fortunately there are saner ones in the GOP..

jimver on February 22, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Gee and I love you too.

Greetings from Dallas.

JPeterman on February 22, 2012 at 11:10 PM

The worst place in the worst state in the history of the universe.

Greetings from Lakewood/Munger Place.

Myron Falwell on February 22, 2012 at 11:11 PM

All links relating to Texas must include this one

cozmo on February 22, 2012 at 11:15 PM

I gotta go get this CNN smell off me…

d1carter on February 22, 2012 at 10:06 PM
I know…

… I feel violated.

More drinky…

… then a long hot shower!

Seven Percent Solution on February 22, 2012 at 10:22 PM

(I had to douche my body!)

KOOLAID2 on February 22, 2012 at 11:15 PM

jimver on February 22, 2012 at 11:14 PM

I think they’re in the minority, jimver. I don’t believe most of us hold those views. At least that’s what I’d like to believe.

Slainte on February 22, 2012 at 11:17 PM

St Gaudens on February 22, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Careful with that axe …

gh on February 22, 2012 at 11:17 PM

fortunately there are saner ones in the GOP..

jimver on February 22, 2012 at 11:14 PM

…that want to lose in November. Brilliant.

Myron Falwell on February 22, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Buy Danish on February 22, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Yes, Augustus St Gaudens the sculptor. He did a bust of your g.f.? Is your g.f. over 100 years old??? Gaudens died in 1907.

St Gaudens on February 22, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Santorum stumbled through tonights debate by desperately trying to defend his big-government spending, pro-earmarks record. Particularly damning was his support of Specter over the conservative Toomey. His justification for doing so was that Specter promised him he would vote for conservaative Supreme Court judges. Did he think conservative Toomey would refuse to support conservative judges? He is and has always been a third, or at best, second tier politician. His supporters would gladly abandon him if there were just anyone else left to turn to in protest of Romney…

Oracleforhire on February 22, 2012 at 10:43 PM

No, ricks supporters won’t abandon him and Toomey, if he won the seat and that would have been a big IF in 2004, would not have chaired the judicial committee. God, will you people take a civics course!

fight like a girl on February 22, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Slainte on February 22, 2012 at 11:17 PM

With all the attacks on Rick, they are attacking him personally. I expected a slimeball like Mitt to do it, but it solidifies my red-hot hatred for him.

Rick’s personal views echo my own. Mitt’s attacks, by proxy, are attacks on me.

If Mitt gets the nomination, he will NEVER get my vote.

Myron Falwell on February 22, 2012 at 11:22 PM

What an experience

The Paul fans were the rudest folks in the crowd

Lots of romney fans

cmsinaz on February 22, 2012 at 11:23 PM

St Gaudens on February 22, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Yep. That’s the year my father was born.

Buy Danish on February 22, 2012 at 11:24 PM

The worst place in the worst state in the history of the universe.

Greetings from Lakewood/Munger Place.

cozmo on February 22, 2012 at 11:15 PM

I’ll be leaving for Montana soon and you shall be rid of me. I don’t stay in one place long.

JPeterman on February 22, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Slainte on February 22, 2012 at 11:17 PM

I really hope so…people in my circle who are cons are of the moderate persuasion, so instinctively I’d be inclined to agree with you… but then I know that there are a lot of crazies out there who find creatures like Santorum appealing…to me this is most incomprehensible…

jimver on February 22, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Rick’s personal views echo my own. Mitt’s attacks, by proxy, are attacks on me.

If Mitt gets the nomination, he will NEVER get my vote.

Myron Falwell on February 22, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Mitt has led an exemplary life. Anyone who calls him a slimeball is deranged. For everyone of you deranged fanatics who will vote for Obama 10 Independents will vote for Mitt.

Basilsbest on February 22, 2012 at 11:30 PM

jimver on February 22, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Santorum isn’t a “creature”. He’s actually a good guy and he was a darned good Senator, he’s just a less than ideal presidential candidate.

Buy Danish on February 22, 2012 at 11:31 PM

JPeterman on February 22, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Is it because you are wanted for a murder you didn’t commit and you are believed to be dead and you must let the world think that you are dead until you can find a way to control the raging spirit that dwells within you? Is that why you must keep moving?

cynccook on February 22, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Yep. That’s the year my father was born.

Buy Danish on February 22, 2012 at 11:24 PM

ahhh….makes sense to me now. I thought you were using g.f. as short for girl friend, not grandfather.

St Gaudens on February 22, 2012 at 11:32 PM

If Mitt gets the nomination, he will NEVER get my vote.

Myron Falwell on February 22, 2012 at 11:22 PM

I feel the same about Santorum for whom I won’t vte either, so at a certain level I can empathize with you…

jimver on February 22, 2012 at 11:34 PM

St Gaudens on February 22, 2012 at 11:32 PM

I picked up on grandfather. But still.

gh on February 22, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Newt won the debate tonight in MHO. John King was a good moderator. I was hoping to see more from Romney and Santorum to make them stand out… No way will I vote for Romney after his answer to what is the one thing that you think people misconstrue about you (or whatever), with no mention at all of Romeycare. Santorum I like but don’t think he’s quite ready yet, but we’ll see…

wubu on February 22, 2012 at 11:35 PM

So what does everyone think of a Romney/Rand Paul 2012 ticket?

Cause that is what we are getting.

ModerateMan on February 22, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Correction- I will vote for Romney if he is my only choice

wubu on February 22, 2012 at 11:37 PM

and you are pining for Palin — who quit in the middle of a term against the will of the people that elected her? Get your sh+t together, PLEASE!
kmalkows on February 22, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Look I am tired of this crap as any Palinista is or any person that has an inkling on what happened. I guess there must’ve been a referendum in the whole state asking if they were willing to pony up the money for the governor in order for her to stay in office; kill the bill so she could stay in office which for all practical purposes was not possible; Alaskans gleefully watch their own Governor go into financial ruin because she does NOT want to use Alaska’s surpluses to battle wet diapers like you who keep repeating the dang meme.

Hey her life’s been for all of us to see since birth. Even the church she attended was burnt. Staffers dealt with all the lib crap tossed at her while running the state at the same dang time. +$12B in two years from broke = #winning.

What if she finished her term? And don’t give me the “oh yeah she could’ve” because nobody knows what was going on the office, aside from those staffers that spoke up on how bad things were going-derailed from their responsibilities to the state of Alaska, to deal with lame complaints from within AND the rest of the nation. For further reference, read “Going Rogue”.

They have attempted to destroy that woman since 2008 and with that moniker you repeat all the time, you help and contribute Obama, the liberals and the establishment.

The one way Sarah can run is if she finds a reformer that is in sync with her core believes. If on a future speech CPAC-type but with more hot sauce gathers about 5K-10K people would that be perceived as what?

I believe a truly contested convention may bring attention to the GOP from the media and at least they will be portrayed as what they truly are. I am counting on it. Regardless of on what level Governor Palin decides to help out, I have supported her efforts because she has been pretty successful.

ProudPalinFan on February 22, 2012 at 11:38 PM

cynccook on February 22, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Nah, I’m just a tramp who can’t stay in the same place very long. I’m trying to hit all 57 states. After Montana, I may head down to Savannah, Georgia and spend next winter there.

JPeterman on February 22, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Oracleforhire on February 22, 2012 at 10:43 PM

fight like a girl on February 22, 2012 at 11:22 PM

THIS.

I couldn’t believe that Romney was attacking Rick on supporting Arlen Sphincter. So, will Romney then attack W. for having done the same? Or will he attack Rush because he interviewed Arlen on his radio show during the campaign?

Mitt, out of all the things to debate Rick on, out of all the imperfections Rick has… and YOU CHOSE THAT??? Did you not remember that you and your fellow MittBots want us to nominate you based upon that same reasoning?

Unbelievable.

Myron Falwell on February 22, 2012 at 11:39 PM

St Gaudens on February 22, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Ha!!! Are you a sculptor?

Buy Danish on February 22, 2012 at 11:40 PM

AAAack, utter fail: Paul’s saying there’s no evidence that Iran has a nuclear weapon…

Wimpy, weak, apologist, unreliable, just wrong as wrong can be on this issue.

Lourdes on February 22, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Umm…they don’t have a nuclear weapon. Everyone states that they don’t have a nuclear weapon. The disagreement is over whether they’re trying to build/attain one and if so, what stage they may be at and how long it would take for them to have one.

Dante on February 22, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Hey JP, did you hear me boo?

Paul fans were really rude tonight

cmsinaz on February 22, 2012 at 11:41 PM

So what does everyone think of a Romney/Rand Paul 2012 ticket?

Cause that is what we are getting.

ModerateMan on February 22, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Maine is true.

ProudPalinFan on February 22, 2012 at 11:41 PM

So what does everyone think of a Romney/Rand Paul 2012 ticket?

Cause that is what we are getting.

ModerateMan on February 22, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Don’t shame Rand like that. Seriously.

Romney will pick a fellow liberal loser from the Northeast like Susan Collins or Chris Christie. And it won’t matter at all, as Mitt will lose solidly to Obama in the general anyway.

Myron Falwell on February 22, 2012 at 11:41 PM

If Mitt gets the nomination, he will NEVER get my vote.

Myron Falwell on February 22, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Way to keep your eye on the prize, bro. Good to know the Trucons are all about beating Obama, as long as it’s ONLY their favorite guy that does it.

Swerve22 on February 22, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Gang-of-One on February 22, 2012 at 11:06 PM

lolz..The night is young..:)

Dire Straits on February 22, 2012 at 11:43 PM

JPeterman on February 22, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Have you been to St. Simons/Sea Island? I would lovvvvve to spend a winter there (I’m in the Atlanta-ish area).

Buy Danish on February 22, 2012 at 11:43 PM

St Gaudens on February 22, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Yeah we had some set backs. Michelle Bachmann/Muslim Brotherhood. There was another good one but it escapes me; I am gonna go bed.

ProudPalinFan on February 22, 2012 at 11:43 PM

cmsinaz on February 22, 2012 at 11:41 PM

I’m glad things went well..No OWS folks??..:)

Dire Straits on February 22, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Correction- I will vote for Romney if he is my only choice

wubu on February 22, 2012 at 11:37 PM

If Mitt is my only choice, I’ll take a cyanide tablet or hitchhike to Canada.

Deciding between two liberals: Mitt vs. Obama. Our country is doomed anyway. What’s the point?

Myron Falwell on February 22, 2012 at 11:44 PM

JPeterman on February 22, 2012 at 11:39 PM

It was the opening narration for the old Incredible Hulk tv show. Never mind.

cynccook on February 22, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Seven Percent Solution on February 22, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Can you honestly defend the Moon as a 51′st State. Sheer lunacy. Pun intended.

But Santorum really has me because he seems to uniquely understand the enemy we face ISLAM and Satan specifically. Satan = Allah. Islam is purely satanic. Many believe we are already in World War III with Islam count me among them. But few seem to understand what Islam really is. Thomas Jefferson understood this but this has been forgotten. Thus we face the fight of our lifetime. Only God can protect us IMHO and Santorum seems to understand this. Thus God could work through him.

Now I am LDS but believe Mitt is completely blinded by Satan.

Steveangell on February 22, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Myron Falwell on February 22, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Susan Collins??? Dude, don’t quit your day job to be a political prognosticator.

Buy Danish on February 22, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Buy Danish on February 22, 2012 at 11:43 PM

I have never heard of it (I’ve only been a citizen since 2004)
Any rentals there? Do tell, I’m interested.

JPeterman on February 22, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Swerve22 on February 22, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Better a so-called “trucon” than a “noncon” in Mitt.

Our country will be so better off for it in the end.

Myron Falwell on February 22, 2012 at 11:48 PM

I picked up on grandfather. But still.
gh on February 22, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Still what?

Buy Danish on February 22, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Buy Danish on February 22, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Heh. I was only kidding. He’ll probably pick Ann “Romneycare is FABULOUS!” Coulter as his Veep.

Myron Falwell on February 22, 2012 at 11:49 PM

If Mitt is my only choice, I’ll take a cyanide tablet or hitchhike to Canada.

Myron Falwell on February 22, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Agreed. Never thought I would see the day that Canada was a saner place to be. But they seem to be on the rebound from the sins of liberalism. We seem to be just where Satan wants us to be.

Steveangell on February 22, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Still what?

Buy Danish on February 22, 2012 at 11:49 PM

My grandparents were all born between 1899 and 1902. I thought you were younger than your father’s birthdate would imply.

gh on February 22, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Ha!!! Are you a sculptor?

Buy Danish on February 22, 2012 at 11:40 PM

No, I just admire St Gaudens’ designs on the $10 and $20 gold coins he did for the US Mint. I’m a coin collector.

St Gaudens on February 22, 2012 at 11:51 PM

If Mitt is my only choice, I’ll take a cyanide tablet or hitchhike to Canada.

Myron Falwell on February 22, 2012 at 11:44 PM

You will never get into Canada.

galtani on February 22, 2012 at 11:57 PM

I have never heard of it (I’ve only been a citizen since 2004)
Any rentals there? Do tell, I’m interested.
JPeterman on February 22, 2012 at 11:47 PM

I would imagine so. St. Simons is charming. A lot of really cute little houses (and some big ones – but it’s a mix). Great little town, nice restaurants – you’d get to know people very quickly. You can rent a bike and ride all over the place.

Sea Island Resort is also on St. Simons – a gorgeous high end resort (the Cloisters, The Lodge) and a spectacular golf course. I’ve been to the G.C. a number of times to take my kid to tournaments and that sort of thing. It was an old plantation. It may be my favorite course to visit. Check it out on the internets. You get there by taking a causeway from Brunswick…

Buy Danish on February 22, 2012 at 11:57 PM

I’ll be leaving for Montana soon

JPeterman on February 22, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Gonna raise up a crop of dental floss?

Raising it up… waxing it down…

JohnGalt23 on February 22, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Don’t shame Rand like that. Seriously.

Myron Falwell on February 22, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Susan Collins? You’re nuts. Everyone who isn’t brain dead knows he will balance the ticket.

And Mitt will hand Obama his ass. I can’t wait until the Death Star focuses on Obama.

Basilsbest on February 23, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Get your sh+t together, PLEASE!

kmalkows on February 22, 2012 at 10:36 PM

I take it you disagree.

hawkdriver on February 23, 2012 at 12:00 AM

For Dire Straits and the rest of the late night music heads, I would like to dedicate this to Ron Paul and his foreign policy repertoire.

(This is an Italian band with the lead being played on an electric violin. As far as I know, this is their only English song online.)

hillbillyjim on February 23, 2012 at 12:00 AM

gh on February 22, 2012 at 11:51 PM

I’m a boomer. My g.f. married late, and I’m a child of a second marriage, so it stretches out in time quite a bit. I never knew my g.f. – he died well before I was born.

St Gaudens on February 22, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Ah. Have you been to NYC to see his work there? Not that I’m an art critic, but his work is amazing.

Buy Danish on February 23, 2012 at 12:03 AM

There is a misconception that Santorum supporters are just anti Romney. We are not. Many, like myself will not gravitate to Newt and have never supported him. Santorum is the guy who speaks for the working middle class. He talks our language. We are for Santorum.

fight like a girl on February 22, 2012 at 10:25 PM

As one who is myself undecided and probably between Romney and Santorum (though I wouldn’t absolutely rule out Gingrich), I understand that. As one would expect there are varying reasons people support Santorum. Some like that he is an outspoken Christian, some are attracted to his blue-collar credentials, some see him as a generic reliable conservative. Similarly there are non-Romney voters are some but not all of Santorum’s support, who would consider going (back) to Gingrich but never Romney. As I believe Gingrich had a strong night, Santorum a off one, and the trends are moving away from Santorum, I believe Gingrich could stand to gain among that latter group.

Gingotts on February 23, 2012 at 12:03 AM

So what does everyone think of a Romney/Rand Paul 2012 ticket?

Cause that is what we are getting.

ModerateMan on February 22, 2012 at 11:36 PM

I could live with that. Rand as VP is kinda pointless, outside of getting the stoner vote, but it sure beats most other options.

Archivarix on February 23, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Buy Danish on February 22, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Thank you so much. I love bicycling, have my own. Sounds like a good place to meet new friends. I’ll check it out and let you know. I’m working with a real estate lady right now who’s hunting down a place for me in Montana…………..far away from the rest of the world.

JPeterman on February 23, 2012 at 12:04 AM

If Mitt is my only choice, I’ll take a cyanide tablet or hitchhike to Canada.

Myron Falwell on February 22, 2012 at 11:44 PM

how melodramatic of you :-)

jimver on February 23, 2012 at 12:04 AM

So what does everyone think of a Romney/Rand Paul 2012 ticket?

Cause that is what we are getting.

ModerateMan on February 22, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Same as always: if Ron Paul is not on my ballot for president, then I’ll vote for the Libertarian candidate.

Dante on February 23, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Buy Danish on February 23, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Not related to John Tyler by any chance, are you? :D

Gingotts on February 23, 2012 at 12:05 AM

My g.f. married late, and I’m a child of a second marriage
Buy Danish on February 23, 2012 at 12:03 AM

My grandmother died when my mother was five. My grandfather remarried but my parents never clearly explained this until after I finished high school. I could never figure out all my mother’s relatives when I was a kid.

gh on February 23, 2012 at 12:08 AM

It was the opening narration for the old Incredible Hulk tv show. Never mind.

cynccook on February 22, 2012 at 11:44 PM

I got it! (Hides comic collection)

iwasbornwithit on February 23, 2012 at 12:10 AM

JPeterman on February 23, 2012 at 12:04 AM

You’re welcome. Here are a few pictures of the golf resort for you to whet your appetite. Also check out Jekyll Island…

Gingotts on February 23, 2012 at 12:05 AM

I have many famous ancestors but he is not among them.

Buy Danish on February 23, 2012 at 12:13 AM

hillbillyjim on February 23, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Good one..Perfect..:)

Dire Straits on February 23, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Archivarix on February 23, 2012 at 12:03 AM

I really think this would fall flat with current Paul supporters and I worry that it might damage Rand’s future prospects. Besides, there’s still a little thing called delegates to be decided and I think the GOP is in for a nasty surprise, especially in a brokered convention. But I have said too much…

iwasbornwithit on February 23, 2012 at 12:15 AM

I have many famous ancestors but he is not among them.

Buy Danish on February 23, 2012 at 12:13 AM

There is a great book about that place.

iwasbornwithit on February 23, 2012 at 12:17 AM

I got it! (Hides comic collection)

iwasbornwithit on February 23, 2012 at 12:10 AM

:-)

cynccook on February 23, 2012 at 12:17 AM

If Mitt is my only choice, I’ll take a cyanide tablet or hitchhike to Canada.

Myron Falwell on February 22, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Sometimes you don’t get what you want exactly but I would take the lesser of the 2 evils- as the saying goes. To just say well I not going to vote would lead to a greater injustice, in MHO.

wubu on February 23, 2012 at 12:18 AM

wubu on February 23, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Taking the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil. How about instead you vote for the Libertarian candidate? You can be pretty certain that they would not sign unconstitutional legislation and that they would cut government.

Dante on February 23, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Dante on February 23, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Barack Obama would like to take this moment to thank you for voting for him…

SWalker on February 23, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Dante on February 23, 2012 at 12:22 AM

You can also be pretty certain that they would not ever be president and voting for them rather than the GOP candidate would help Obama.

gh on February 23, 2012 at 12:26 AM

There is a great book about that place.

iwasbornwithit on February 23, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Spill it please!

JPeterman on February 23, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Barack Obama would like to take this moment to thank you for voting for him…

SWalker on February 23, 2012 at 12:23 AM

I don’t think you understand how it works.

gh on February 23, 2012 at 12:26 AM

They would if people who soapbox about their conservative principles actually backed it up with their votes.

Dante on February 23, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Dante on February 23, 2012 at 12:22 AM

I also like Ron Paul’s economic views yet he doesn’t convince me we’d be safer following his world view in today’s world and until he does he is a fringe candidate in my view. My comment was based on if Gingrich and Santorum who are a better fit to deal with a real world view of what’s happening in the world, and do have some prudent domestic arguments on changing the economy, jobs, taxes, heatlthcare, etc, didn’t win the GOP spot, but Romney did end up being the last person standing against Obama, then I’ll shudder a lot, and will vote for Romney.

wubu on February 23, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Spill it please!
JPeterman on February 23, 2012 at 12:29 AM

It’s like the kid who says, “I know a secret but I’m not going to tell you.” Oh well, perhaps he’s off searching Amazon dot com. Or perhaps he’s thinking of Dr. Jekyll?

Love “Peterman” btw.

nite all….

Buy Danish on February 23, 2012 at 12:37 AM

wubu on February 23, 2012 at 12:36 AM

I capitalized Libertarian because I was talking about the Libertarian Party candidate, who is not going to be Ron Paul, should Paul not get the GOP nomination.

Dante on February 23, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Really? “The Creature from Jekyll Island”. It’s about how the Fed was created.

iwasbornwithit on February 23, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Funny…the Federal Gov’t can’t do a THING right, puts our economy almost $15 Trillion dollars in debt…yet when it comes to foreign policy…it’s nothing but blind faith in that same federal gov’t (with the same polititions that nobody trusts). What makes everyone believe that the same Federal Gov’t that is destroying our country on the inside is doing everything right when it comes to what it does on the outside? How much sense does that make? It’s the same people who are so wrong and flawed on our domestic policy making our foreign policy…all of a sudden they can do no wrong?

dom89031 on February 23, 2012 at 1:07 AM

There was only ONE true Partiot on that stage tonight…it wasn’t Mr. “Team player” (That’s what got us in this mess), it wasn’t Mr. ObamaCare RomneyCare (if that isn’t big gov’t I don’t know what is) and it wasn’t Mr. Pelosi“Put a colony on the moon” (Progressive). The only real Partiot is Ron Paul!

dom89031 on February 23, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Gingotts on February 23, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Possibly, but Newt will not overtake Santorum. He will only ensure a Romney win. i know a lot of people who will not support Newt under any circumstances.

fight like a girl on February 23, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Anyone with an open mind clearly thought that Ron Paul won tonight’s debate.

Decoski on February 23, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Anyone with an open mind clearly thought that Ron Paul won tonight’s debate.

Decoski on February 23, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Don’t you mean: empty?

OldEnglish on February 23, 2012 at 2:25 AM

This was fun to watch the progression of comments here. It goes from, “It looks like this will be good debate tonight”, to “Oh crap, Santorum is doing awful!”

I actually felt a little bad for Santorum. He is in over his head.

scotash on February 23, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Anyone with an open mind clearly thought that Ron Paul won tonight’s debate.

Decoski on February 23, 2012 at 1:59 AM

How very open-minded of you to say so.

hillbillyjim on February 23, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Myron Falwell on February 22, 2012 at 11:22 PM

There is a name for people like you, it’s called liberal.

If you can’t see the difference between Obama and the four Republicans running for president, you might as well be one because you produce the same result as they do.

scotash on February 23, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Gee, why didn’t CNN ask any questions about Fast and Furious?

ignatzk on February 23, 2012 at 2:33 AM

fight like a girl on February 23, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Well, I and my entire extended family support Newt, would vote for Rick, but would never support Romney, not ever, none of us.

So, there….

JeffVader on February 23, 2012 at 3:27 AM

Newt crushed everyone tonight! It’s gonna be a sad election if we Santorum repeats his explanations in front of Obama, or Romney makes bets with Obama on national televsion.

conservador on February 23, 2012 at 4:20 AM

So Newt wins, and drudge runs a picture of Mitt in a triumphic pose?

I miss the non bought and sold drudge.

Irritable Pundit on February 23, 2012 at 4:24 AM

Anyone with an open mind clearly thought that Ron Paul won tonight’s debate.

Decoski on February 23, 2012 at 1:59 AM

What color is the Kool-Aid in your world?

Adjoran on February 23, 2012 at 4:39 AM