Matthews: Catholic Church a haven for conservative bigots, or something

posted at 11:40 am on February 21, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Say, did Chris Matthews make this complaint when Barack Obama won the Catholic vote in 2008 by a 54/45 margin? Naaaah:

SCOTT WHITLOCK: Hi, Mr. Matthews, my name is Scott Whitlock. I’m with the Media Research Center and-

CHRIS MATTHEWS: What’s the Media Research Center?

WHITLOCK: Uh, we write about liberal media bias.

[Matthews visibly sighs and looks irritated. Audience laughs.]

MATTHEWS: Earlier tonight, you were talking about Nixon and the Southern Strategy and bigotry and things like that you and you said, quote, “If you’re really anti-gay, you become a Catholic now.” [Audience laughs.] I was wondering if you were saying that bigots become Catholic now and if you wanted to expand or apologize for that? [Audience laughs.]

MATTHEWS: I think there are people who have chosen to convert to the Catholic faith because they don’t like the liberal positions taken by their sectarian groups. That’s a fact. So, you can write that down. No, you can write that down.

WHITLOCK: So, you’re saying Catholicism is drawing bigots? Is that what you’re saying?

MATTHEWS: I’m saying that some people who are bigoted against gay people have changed religions. Yes. You got it right.

As a Catholic, I’m a little bemused by this argument.  Almost all Christian denominations oppose same-sex marriage, and Catholics aren’t the most vocal on that point, at least not uniformly.  Of all the larger Christian denominations, Catholics are the most liberal in terms of voting record, not the most conservative; Democrats are much more competitive among Catholics than among Protestants and especially evangelicals. As an active member of a Catholic parish, I can assure you that it’s much more liberal than any workplace in which I have ever worked.

There seems to be a lot less hesitation in the national media to indulge in attacking Catholics, especially on ludicrous and unsupported allegations like Matthews’.  I think we see pretty clearly where the bigotry originates, and, well, I’m writing that down.

Update: Yes, I’m very well aware that Matthews is Catholic, which makes this even more bizarre.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Uhh, the pagans did much worse to the Christians than they ever got in the form of both the Romans AND from the barbarians after they sacked Rome and in the period afterwards.

amazingly, there are so many persecutions of pagans registred, that it will be hard for you to actually prove that.
and another thing, those barbarians that sacked rome(alaric I Geiseric), where Christian converts to arianism.

And no, the early heretical sects were not persecuted into extinction.

were are the marcionites today then? the are a bit hard to find.

Non of them suffered anything even close to the incredible institutional Roman persecution of orthodox Christians from 65 AD until about 333 AD.

the roman empires had had a HUGE number of sects and religions of all types that they tolerated, yet, somehow, those christians where chosen to be savagely persecuted? why? even many of their ideas where not that special for romans, they already had monotheism in sol invictus and mythras, they had death rebith sects in the cult of horus. indeed in comparative mythology it seems many of the chritians religious patters already had been in existance and tolerated by other romans.
some say that the later church invented earlier Christian martyrdom to inspire the faithfull of those days. i take this view.

And it didn’t even slow the true Church down, it spread like wildfire over the entire known world. The heretical sects would pop up and die out like wild fires just like they do today.

tommyboy on February 21, 2012 at 8:49 PM

that is a fantasy. christians were not even close to being a majority by the time Constantin took power. but with imperial blessing, then they grew up fast.
“pop up and die out like wild fires just like they do today.”you mean, like the mormons are dying?

nathor on February 21, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Nathor if I didn’t know better, I would think that the extraordinary ignorance you display in your posts must be your outstanding public school education. Are you really AP in disguise? Ever read about the Christians that were used as human torches for the Roman orgies? Please, I’m begging you find and search for the truth some some perverted version of it. Moron.

Fuquay Steve on February 21, 2012 at 10:33 PM

I wish I had came close to AP writing skills :(
but I take your doubt as a compliment.

Fuquay Steve on February 21, 2012 at 10:33 PM

never heard that one before.
some of the martyrdoms where probably made up.
reading here:
worse persecutions where done under Diocletian and reached 3000 christians dead, which is not that much for the old roman empire.
romans, general very tolerant, persecuted druids, jews(they rebeled), cult of bachus, and christians.
in acienct rome, by late 3rd century romans tolerated or even coopted religions like:
-mystery cults
-mythras/sol invictus
-cult of horus
-cult of Antinous
-imperial cult
-countless foreign sects.

and others.

nathor on February 22, 2012 at 4:31 AM

Please don’t scandalize the Church, by referring to these anti-God (You are either with Me or against Me) people who label themselves that which they vehemently loathe, what then pretend to be.

These radical left-wing secularists, pro-atheist, pro-abortion, are but pretending they actually believe in the Church (and therefore its dogma and moral codes and commandments) It is little more than window dressing to appear nice, and soothe their own warped ill-formed consciences.

Don L on February 22, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Does Mr. Matthews realize that he’s calling our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ a bigot.
I think Mr. Matthews is going to find out the hard way who the real bigot is when he name is called….

Shain1611 on February 22, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Fuquay Steve on February 21, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Amen to that.. this is why the RCC put the Book of Martyrs’ on their forbidden to read list. They also tried to burn many of those types out of existence including the King James Bible.

95% of Cathilics don’t have any clue to true Church History only what they have been force feed by Romeand the Infallible Pope.

Shain1611 on February 22, 2012 at 10:25 AM

I would expect Chrissie, working at MSNBC, to know what and where all the bigot havens of every type are–bigotry appears to be their business, and his.

stukinIL4now on February 22, 2012 at 10:33 AM