Why don’t you Americans riot more?

posted at 7:45 pm on February 20, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

Ah, for the good ole’ days. Do you remember way back when Americans, unsatisfied with the current state of affairs, would just grab the kids, the dog, a couple of cans of gasoline, a box of matches and just go light up the town? Good times. Over at The Atlantic, Emily Badger asks the same question.

America hasn’t had a rash of mass urban violence in a generation. In fact, the scene of burning inner cities is commonly linked with a single, now distant moment in U.S. history, at the height of racial unrest in the 1960s.

Urban riots, though, have periodically broken out around the world since then. Athens is on fire again. London combusted last summer, right around the same time violent protesters assembled in the streets of manufacturing cities in southern China. And then there was Paris in 2005. In many ways, it’s curious this hasn’t happened more recently in U.S. cities (or with the Occupy movement for that matter).

“Alienation, youth unemployment, distrust of police,” says University of Pennsylvania historian Michael Katz, “these things are surely as prevalent in the U.S. as they were in France.”

If anything, the conditions that fuel urban violence – income inequality, poverty, joblessness – are as disheartening in America as ever, in the wake of a deep recession.

“So why,” Katz asks, “had collective violence more or less disappeared from the streets of American cities?”

Katz is discussing his new book, Why don’t American cities burn? I suppose it’s just me, but that seems like a rather odd title and premise for a book. But then again – particularly given the nature of the OWS protests this past year, it’s clearly one worth looking at.

Katz thinks there’s both bad and good news on this front. On the negative side, he feels that conditions are ripe for similar unrest. But the mitigating factor standing between us and raging urban wildfires may be the fundamentally open nature of America. Sort of.

Previously marginalized groups that once felt they had no other outlet now have more voices in the political process. White flight ceded whole cities – and their governments – to African Americans in the U.S. And this left neighborhood boundaries less contentious, Katz argues, eliminating one of the causes of urban friction. In the 1960s, by contrast, large numbers of African Americans were moving into the city at a time when whites had not yet left.

Am I the only one who thinks that comes off as sounding a bit… errr… raaaaacist? Oh, wait. We’re not supposed to say that. Sorry.

Actually, our cities do still burn on occasion. Just stop by Detroit after the Pistons win. But the true aspect of American society which prevents this from going all Greece Fire on us – at least so far – is a mutual societal understanding. The masses can only be governed by the elected rulers as long as the masses continue to give their consent. Citizens outnumber the police in any given area by a massive margin. Civilians outnumber the military by more than 300 to one.

It’s a rule as old as the advent of “civilized” societies. The government can only enforce order with the consent of the governed. Something to ponder tonight.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Well, the Congressional Black Caucus says it’s because we have a black president.

Stoic Patriot on February 20, 2012 at 7:46 PM

The year is young.

ConservativeLA on February 20, 2012 at 7:46 PM

2A

RarestRX on February 20, 2012 at 7:46 PM

I concur — second amendment.

cthulhu on February 20, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Why don’t you Americans riot more?

Remington 870.

GarandFan on February 20, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Hell with rioting. Civil war is what’s needed.

bgibbs1000 on February 20, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Well, segregationist to be more specific. Basically it says racial diversity = bad. To be fair, Pat Buchanan isn’t all that far from this position.

Stoic Patriot on February 20, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Because the American “poor” live at the same standard as the European lower middle class???

PolAgnostic on February 20, 2012 at 7:50 PM

The national and international left have been pushing to get riots started and are disappointed in #OWS . They want America burning.

Connie on February 20, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Why don’t you Americans riot more?

Just wait ’til Obama loses.
My shop is in that part of town…

cozmo on February 20, 2012 at 7:51 PM

We either have jobs are are too busy looking for a job.

Anarchy is for the dole-icious.

profitsbeard on February 20, 2012 at 7:51 PM

letoile du nord on February 20, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Isn’t there some G20 thingy in Chicago later this year?

BallisticBob on February 20, 2012 at 7:53 PM

2A

mojack on February 20, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Gird your loins people.

chewmeister on February 20, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Are Emily Badger and Michael Katz both retarded? They sound incredibly stupid.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 20, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Why don’t you Americans riot more?

If only soccer was more popular over here, we’d have more riots.

malclave on February 20, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Because we’re more civilized than Europeans.

rbj on February 20, 2012 at 7:57 PM

I wonder how the Fresh Prince of Bill Ayers will answer that ?

burrata on February 20, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Zev Chafets wrote a book about Detroit called “Devil’s Night”. His thesis, if I remember correctly, was that Detroit was in a perpetual, slow-motion riot. As a Detroit native, it makes sense to me.

carl todd hand on February 20, 2012 at 7:59 PM

it sounds as if the author is actually encouraging that….. I wonder where they got that idea???? hmmmm….

NBPP guarding the polling stations?
Disaffected youth busting shops.
Ransacking houses.
Raping girls.

this is not your fathers democratic party

ted c on February 20, 2012 at 7:59 PM

The thugs don’t need to riot because they’re already in charge.

joe_doufu on February 20, 2012 at 8:00 PM

My Maverick model 88 bullpup welcomes the riots.

JimboHoffa on February 20, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Maybe because more and more Americans understand that burning your own house down to tell the government you are pissed at them only leaves you homeless and they innately grasp that the only ones who would win with massive riots are the Marxist’s attempting to replicate the Russian Revolution.

SWalker on February 20, 2012 at 8:01 PM

OWS needs the spilling of blood, initially their own. Then the martyrs survivors will take stronger action for freedom and Muslim style democracy.

BL@KBIRD on February 20, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Stay tuned!

KOOLAID2 on February 20, 2012 at 8:03 PM

My shop is in that part of town…

cozmo on February 20, 2012 at 7:51 PM

You plan on vacationing right around the first week in November, right?

And don’t forget to take anything you can’t replace with you – just in case.

My shop used to be in that part of town, too. They laughed at the 12′ chain link topped with a double row of razor wire, guffawed at the state of the art alarm system, tittered at the dogs. The only thing they didn’t know was that you can’t start a building fire with diesel fuel. Other than that, it was like there was a big neon sign over the place that said “Steal Stuff Here”.

Good times, good times…

turfmann on February 20, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Second amendment ….
a gun behind every blade of grass ….

conservative tarheel on February 20, 2012 at 8:04 PM

“I suppose it’s just me, but that seems like a rather odd title and premise for a book.”

Planting the seeds…

… Start the whispers.

The OWS weekly mini-riots in Oakland are just training grounds…

… Wait for the Summer, especially if Obowma’s numbers are down.

The Left will not just give up power and go quietly into the night…

Seven Percent Solution on February 20, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Obama will see to it that some US cities burn this summer.

GaltBlvnAtty on February 20, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Despite pockets of intractable poverty, many of us “urbanites” find ourselves members of the dreaded bourgeoisie. Class affiliation now trumps race. In my eyes, it appears that the most stark resentments between blacks and whites linger mostly among those at the socio-economic bottom.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on February 20, 2012 at 8:07 PM

The Left will not just give up power and go quietly into the night…

Seven Percent Solution on February 20, 2012 at 8:05 PM

No, but when gasoline hit’s $10.00 a gallon they will go screaming into the night, probably lite on fire…

SWalker on February 20, 2012 at 8:08 PM

So inciting violence has become acceptable?

Syzygy on February 20, 2012 at 8:09 PM

My Maverick model 88 bullpup welcomes the riots.

JimboHoffa on February 20, 2012 at 8:00 PM

I have a place for you to hang out when they come.

You plan on vacationing right around the first week in November, right?

And don’t forget to take anything you can’t replace with you – just in case.

turfmann on February 20, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Its full of my dad’s antique tractors, and my Hummer. The rest is replaceable.

I plan to be on the roof that week.

cozmo on February 20, 2012 at 8:11 PM

No, that book is not worth looking at. I don’t care what makes them think or what they think about or why.

HopeHeFails on February 20, 2012 at 8:12 PM

carl todd hand on February 20, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Before I moved out of the Detroit area I lived right on the border of the city(Mack & Alter). When standing on my back porch looking into the city I could see through six whole blocks because the houses that had been there were all burned to the ground. The devastation in that city is something most people have heard of but don’t fully grasp.

Flange on February 20, 2012 at 8:13 PM

The government can only enforce order with the consent of the governed.

As I recall, this was cited by the British police forces as a reason to watch stores get burglarized rather than arrest the rioters that had taken to the streets of London a while back. Just saying.

Mr. Prodigy on February 20, 2012 at 8:13 PM

We haven’t had fire in the streets for a generation? What about Los Angeles in 1992. I was there. It was pretty damn sure a riot.

fleiter on February 20, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Sounds like someone is anticipating an Obama loss in November.

Rational Thought on February 20, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Hell with rioting. Civil war is what’s needed.

bgibbs1000 on February 20, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Um…no.

Good Lt on February 20, 2012 at 8:15 PM

The Obama campaign’s bumper sticker, to replace Hope and Change?

Ted Torgerson on February 20, 2012 at 8:16 PM

I phone

I pod

I pad

idesign on February 20, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Why don’t you Americans riot more?

Remington 870.

GarandFan on February 20, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Exactly.

CPL 310 on February 20, 2012 at 8:16 PM

fleiter on February 20, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Doesn’t count, it wasn’t the right kind of riot. These Marxist fool’s are pining for the “Worker’s to Unite” and cast off the oppressive yoke of the bourgeois capitalists so that they can lead America to the Marxist Utopia they have been masturbating over since the 60′s.

SWalker on February 20, 2012 at 8:17 PM

So inciting violence has become acceptable?

Syzygy on February 20, 2012 at 8:09 PM

only when wingnut adherents of the Democrat Party do it.

Good Lt on February 20, 2012 at 8:18 PM

See L.A. Riots vs. Korean Grocers or more recently the Looter Welcoming Committees set up in Katrina ravaged Mississippi towns for a primer on the fading popularity of such pastimes.

Joe Mama on February 20, 2012 at 8:19 PM

I was there. The riots of the 60′s (Chicago, Kent State, et al) were not about race; they were about the military draft and the Vietnam war.
The MLK era of peaceful demonstrations were the way things were done back then; peaceful marches for equality and the end of JimCrow laws in the southern states.
The race riot we all remember were in California.

srdem65 on February 20, 2012 at 8:19 PM

I work in the barrio, myself. Given the way 0bama’s been cheezing off Catholics, I don’t think I’ll have much to worry about with an 0bama-loss riot.

Sekhmet on February 20, 2012 at 8:22 PM

So inciting violence has become acceptable?

Syzygy on February 20, 2012 at 8:09 PM

only when wingnut adherents of the Democrat Party do it.

Good Lt on February 20, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Besides, there’s a whole new generation of big-screen TVs to be looted.

slickwillie2001 on February 20, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Um…no.

Good Lt on February 20, 2012 at 8:15 PM

You are right, a civil war would be horrible, but since the progressives can’t declare that the only solution to massive social unrest and urban violence is a Marxist tyrannical repressive government without the massive social unrest and urban violence you can be assured that this is exactly the psychological manipulation intended behind this article.

I pray to the god you don’t believe in that there is not another American civil war, but I have no illusions what so ever about that being the intentions and goal of the Progressive movement.

SWalker on February 20, 2012 at 8:24 PM

So inciting violence has become acceptable?

Syzygy on February 20, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Acceptable ?
It is Presidential now

burrata on February 20, 2012 at 8:25 PM

SWalker on February 20, 2012 at 8:17 PM

I have no doubt that one or two of the White House Czars have already come up with the songs, slogans, and art work showing Obowma with a torn shirt and carrying a rifle looking hard into the future with the masses standing behind him and Michelle with one bare breast…

Seven Percent Solution on February 20, 2012 at 8:27 PM

HaHa! Good one, Jazz!
Actually, it’s a cheap, stupid, worn-out joke that was never really funny to begin with.

Detroit has plenty of problems, mostly due to the fact that we’ve had incredibly corrupt (think Chicago) politicians and a UAW with way too much power for over fifty years.

But small minds will continue the same old hackneyed quips, in the hopes that someone, somewhere will think they’re clever.

Let me help ya out there, Jazz.
Do some research, dummy.

RedCrow on February 20, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Remington 870.

GarandFan on February 20, 2012 at 7:49 PM

14¼”

davidk on February 20, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Seven Percent Solution on February 20, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Gee, now why would you think something like that? /snark snark snark

SWalker on February 20, 2012 at 8:30 PM

I remember the race riots in NYC in the 60′s. I was there. It didn’t accomplish anything except a lot of trash cans being tossed off of rooftops. I was five years old and I remember my mother telling us to get away from the windows.

Urban Infidel on February 20, 2012 at 8:30 PM

davidk on February 20, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Yea….and it’s till run by demonrats. They learned that from the Nazi’s no doubt. Lay siege and burn it all to the ground.

Twana on February 20, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Because we’ve convinced ourselves our government is still benevolent.

mythicknight on February 20, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Sometimes, I want to riot and express my anger.

Then I remember I’m a conservative that respects public and private property.

joekenha on February 20, 2012 at 8:36 PM

and Michelle with one bare breast…

Seven Percent Solution on February 20, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Oh God whattabod
:D

burrata on February 20, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Our cities would burn more often, but juries always convict cops of beating black suspects now. If you want the cities to burn, judges will have to tell the juries to be impartial from now on.

keep the change on February 20, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Flange on February 20, 2012 at 8:13 PM

OMG. I booted up Google Earth, went to that intersection and used that time lapse feature comparing 1999 with the latest image.

It looks like one of those before and after images of an area struck by a tsunami.

That’s the raw and unretouched effects of the Democrat Party on stark display right there, my friend.

turfmann on February 20, 2012 at 8:39 PM

There were a ton of race riots in the mid-sixties. You have to be older than 60 to remember them as they probably were not taught in school, much like the Bonus Marchers in 1932 is never taught or mentioned.

gbear on February 20, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Had Obama been impeached, the US would have burned. Almost a certainty. If we was to be assassinated, it’s guaranteed. If he loses in November, the riots will be limited. Unless the vote was really close and the Supreme Court has to step in. Then the riots will be substantial.

But rednecks will riot too. Just try to take away their guns n’ NASCAR and they’d burn the country to the ground. Actually worse, they promise to shoot to kill.

So really, America is no different. The fuel is there. But nobody wants to throw a match.

keep the change on February 20, 2012 at 8:44 PM

turfmann on February 20, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Did you see me waving? That was the time period I lived there. Moved to Galveston 1 1/2 years ago.

Flange on February 20, 2012 at 8:46 PM

keep the change on February 20, 2012 at 8:44 PM

That has got to be the dumbest thing you wrote, ever. And that includes the time you demanded that all airshows be outlawed.

Out of all the reasons to right, taking away a constitutional amendment would be one.

cozmo on February 20, 2012 at 8:49 PM

keep the change on February 20, 2012 at 8:44 PM

The question I have, Is the match lit?

davidk on February 20, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Why don’t you Americans riot more?

What? And miss American Idol? /

PatriotGal2257 on February 20, 2012 at 8:50 PM

My shop is in that part of town…

cozmo on February 20, 2012 at 7:51 PM

I closed my shop and moved a long, long way out of town.

trigon on February 20, 2012 at 8:50 PM

turfmann on February 20, 2012 at 8:39 PM

WOW… That place looks like it was subjected to WWII style carpet bombing…

SWalker on February 20, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Why don’t you Americans riot more?

Um … can I Google it to find out how? /

PatriotGal2257 on February 20, 2012 at 8:52 PM

So you admit it. If the government tried to confiscate firearms, millions of American would shoot the law enforcement officers who came to collect them. We all know this. In order to preserve what you believe to be your constitutional rights, and that is always open to legal interpretation – you would be willing to kill.

Just curious, though, how many? How many would you kill in defense of your constitutional rights? 10, 10, 1000? As many as need be?

oh, ya, America would burn.

keep the change on February 20, 2012 at 8:52 PM

It’s because in these United States, poverty is still rich. Also, with entertainment on demand, individuals are less social.

John Kettlewell on February 20, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Be patient.

hawkdriver on February 20, 2012 at 8:53 PM

I think today’s potential rioting demographic (today’s youth) are to much like the Eloi in H.G. Wells time machine. They are well fed, over-medicated and have plenty of toys to distract them with.

RAN58 on February 20, 2012 at 8:54 PM

oh, ya, America would burn.

keep the change on February 20, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Only those actually trying to take those constitutional rights away from me. Funny thing is though, if and when the shit ever really hit’s the fan, you’ll be begging a conservative to protect you and praying to a god you probably don’t even believe in that that conservative is stupid enough to do it.

SWalker on February 20, 2012 at 8:56 PM

keep the change on February 20, 2012 at 8:52 PM

No it isn’t open to interpretation except for those who wish to remove an obstacle to assuming dictatorial power… which is why it exists in the first place.

sharrukin on February 20, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Why don’t you Americans riot more?

Uh … yeah, babe, later. I hafta get my lottery tickets at the convenience. /

PatriotGal2257 on February 20, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Ohh please Jazz. You make it sound like the city burns after every win. They save that stuff for playoff victories or else it is not as special. Detroit still burns every Halloween (devils night to the suburbs and angel’s night in the city). But the numbers of fires have decrease over the years. Some say it is because of the Angels night patrols. But it is because after over 30 years since the tradition first started, there are fewer things left unguarded to be burned.

mechkiller_k on February 20, 2012 at 9:00 PM

nly those actually trying to take those constitutional rights away from me.

So you see yourself as some David Koresh. Which means you would murder any law enforcement officer who came to take away your guns?

So if they send 50, you would kill 50 cops?

keep the change on February 20, 2012 at 9:00 PM

keep the change on February 20, 2012 at 8:52 PM

And now you think cops would be that dumb? They would be the leaders.

As many as need be?

keep the change on February 20, 2012 at 8:52 PM

You don’t know jack about Ben Franklin, or the reverend Martin Niemoller.

cozmo on February 20, 2012 at 9:01 PM

keep the change on February 20, 2012 at 9:00 PM

And yet… Why don’t you Americans riot more?

And when they do riot, its always your fellow leftists who do the rioting.

sharrukin on February 20, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Fresh Prince of Bill Ayers
burrata on February 20, 2012 at 7:59 PM

ohhh I am so going to steal that line.

mechkiller_k on February 20, 2012 at 9:04 PM

fleiter on February 20, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Isn’t a generation considered to be around 25 years?

So, pretty close to a generation has passed since then.

malclave on February 20, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Poverty doesn’t cause riots.

But riots definitely do cause poverty.

logis on February 20, 2012 at 9:05 PM

and Michelle with one bare breast…

Marianne!

PKO Strany on February 20, 2012 at 9:07 PM

You don’t know jack about Ben Franklin, or the reverend Martin Niemoller.

cozmo on February 20, 2012 at 9:01 PM

I feel so much safer knowing that armed fanatics are willing to shoot cops in the name of “liberty”.

Sic semper tyrannis!!

Because as we teach our children, sometimes you just have to take the law into your own hands, and shoot cops. It’s what George Washington would have wanted.

keep the change on February 20, 2012 at 9:07 PM

keep the change on February 20, 2012 at 8:52 PM

I couldn’t think of a more accurate example of what is wrong with America than this one sentence.

hawkdriver on February 20, 2012 at 9:08 PM

So if they send 50, you would kill 50 cops?

keep the change on February 20, 2012 at 9:00 PM

No I don’t see myself as a David Koresh, more of a Samuel Adams or James Madison kind of guy. Yea, Samuel Adams, James Madison, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson sure were a bunch of wackos. I’ll take wacko’s like them over imbeciles like you any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

SWalker on February 20, 2012 at 9:08 PM

George Washington would have wanted.

keep the change on February 20, 2012 at 9:07 PM

How the else do you think he became the father of our country?

cozmo on February 20, 2012 at 9:10 PM

It’s what George Washington would have wanted.

keep the change on February 20, 2012 at 9:07 PM

You truly are an imbecile studying to be a moron and failing miserably… IT IS EXACTLY WHAT GEORGE WASHINGTON DID DO…

SWalker on February 20, 2012 at 9:10 PM

keep the change on February 20, 2012 at 9:07 PM

You don’t really get this whole freedom thing do you? It isn’t granted by the elites as a bit of charity so that the little guy can have a better life. It is taken and defended when threatened, or it ceases to exist.

sharrukin on February 20, 2012 at 9:11 PM

WOW… That place looks like it was subjected to WWII style carpet bombing…

SWalker on February 20, 2012 at 8:52 PM

The really sad thing is that it’s not just that neighborhood, but the whole city. And there is just blocks and blocks and blocks with only 2-3 houses still standing. I actually had pheasants living in my back yard. I’ve seen fox and deer in the city.

Flange on February 20, 2012 at 9:13 PM

The race riot we all remember were in California.

1967 Detroit riot
I was 5 years old and my Dad worked for Detroit Edison. He had to work in and around the city to keep power flowing. I never saw my mother so scared in my life then when Dad had to go to work. He was a sub-station operator.

mechkiller_k on February 20, 2012 at 9:14 PM

There should be a link to Delacroix’s portrait of Liberty guiding the people (La liberté guidant le peuple)

PKO Strany on February 20, 2012 at 9:14 PM

you would murder any law enforcement officer who came to take away your guns? So if they send 50, you would kill 50 cops? Like I said, America has a lot of wackos. It just take a match to light the fire.
keep the change on February 20, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Try to ignore for a second the fact that this guy is personally a moron.

This is the way that liberals, even the “smartest” among them, actually THINK: If they took away enough freedoms, people might eventually rebel — ergo, anyone who believes in the concept of liberty is a potential “mass murderers” who must always be opressed as much as possible.

Within its own incredibly tiny little circle, Communist logic is absolutely flawless.

logis on February 20, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Try to ignore for a second the fact that this guy is personally a moron.

logis on February 20, 2012 at 9:16 PM

You sir, ask the impossible.

cozmo on February 20, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Flange on February 20, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Granted I wouldn’t want to live in a city that was that crowded, but that place genuinely looks like it was a full on war zone just a couple of years ago. Worse yet, I bet the democrats running Detroit haven’t got a clue what happened either.

SWalker on February 20, 2012 at 9:17 PM