Why don’t you Americans riot more?

posted at 7:45 pm on February 20, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

Ah, for the good ole’ days. Do you remember way back when Americans, unsatisfied with the current state of affairs, would just grab the kids, the dog, a couple of cans of gasoline, a box of matches and just go light up the town? Good times. Over at The Atlantic, Emily Badger asks the same question.

America hasn’t had a rash of mass urban violence in a generation. In fact, the scene of burning inner cities is commonly linked with a single, now distant moment in U.S. history, at the height of racial unrest in the 1960s.

Urban riots, though, have periodically broken out around the world since then. Athens is on fire again. London combusted last summer, right around the same time violent protesters assembled in the streets of manufacturing cities in southern China. And then there was Paris in 2005. In many ways, it’s curious this hasn’t happened more recently in U.S. cities (or with the Occupy movement for that matter).

“Alienation, youth unemployment, distrust of police,” says University of Pennsylvania historian Michael Katz, “these things are surely as prevalent in the U.S. as they were in France.”

If anything, the conditions that fuel urban violence – income inequality, poverty, joblessness – are as disheartening in America as ever, in the wake of a deep recession.

“So why,” Katz asks, “had collective violence more or less disappeared from the streets of American cities?”

Katz is discussing his new book, Why don’t American cities burn? I suppose it’s just me, but that seems like a rather odd title and premise for a book. But then again – particularly given the nature of the OWS protests this past year, it’s clearly one worth looking at.

Katz thinks there’s both bad and good news on this front. On the negative side, he feels that conditions are ripe for similar unrest. But the mitigating factor standing between us and raging urban wildfires may be the fundamentally open nature of America. Sort of.

Previously marginalized groups that once felt they had no other outlet now have more voices in the political process. White flight ceded whole cities – and their governments – to African Americans in the U.S. And this left neighborhood boundaries less contentious, Katz argues, eliminating one of the causes of urban friction. In the 1960s, by contrast, large numbers of African Americans were moving into the city at a time when whites had not yet left.

Am I the only one who thinks that comes off as sounding a bit… errr… raaaaacist? Oh, wait. We’re not supposed to say that. Sorry.

Actually, our cities do still burn on occasion. Just stop by Detroit after the Pistons win. But the true aspect of American society which prevents this from going all Greece Fire on us – at least so far – is a mutual societal understanding. The masses can only be governed by the elected rulers as long as the masses continue to give their consent. Citizens outnumber the police in any given area by a massive margin. Civilians outnumber the military by more than 300 to one.

It’s a rule as old as the advent of “civilized” societies. The government can only enforce order with the consent of the governed. Something to ponder tonight.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

From the Jefferson Memorial… “I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.”

Flange on February 20, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Try to ignore for a second the fact that this guy is personally a moron.

logis on February 20, 2012 at 9:16 PM

ROTFLMAO… I can imagine that you will be hearing from a coalition of genuine morons soon filing a defamation suit against you for comparing them to keep the change… And they will probably win… :P

SWalker on February 20, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Sic semper tyrannis!!

keep the change on February 20, 2012 at 9:07 PM

That’s what Booth proclaimed just after he shot Lincoln.

I prefer: “Give me liberty, or give me death.”

davidk on February 20, 2012 at 9:22 PM

SWalker on February 20, 2012 at 9:17 PM

The politics there is an absolute nightmare. There is no Republican Party in the city. But occassionally when the state has a Republican Gov. they’ll put some blame on him, but usually it’s blamed on racism and all the whites that left the city. Everything is race based there.

Flange on February 20, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Worse yet, I bet the democrats running Detroit haven’t got a clue what happened either.

SWalker on February 20, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Heh. Of course they haven’t got a clue. Also, they haven’t got a clue that they haven’t got a clue, if you follow.

Mostly, they think that it’s white suburban racism, and the (untrue) fact that not enough MI dollars have flowed into the city.

But it is ubiquitous in democrats that someone else is always to blame.

RedCrow on February 20, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Flange on February 20, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Lol. Yeah–what you said.

RedCrow on February 20, 2012 at 9:26 PM

And the unspoken implication is that this was a *good* thing – all evidence to the contrary, of course.

Midas on February 20, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Cause when we riot, it’s get real real, real fast.

PalinLover on February 20, 2012 at 9:29 PM

and Michelle with one bare breast…

Seven Percent Solution on February 20, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Please. I just ate.

hachiban on February 20, 2012 at 9:31 PM

… and honestly, I’m a bit surprised that Americans aren’t rioting (and another ‘r’ word or two) myself – but for very different reasons than the nitwit Badger thinks.

Midas on February 20, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Strange premise for a book. I wonder if Katz thinks that there should be more riots.

ghostwriter on February 20, 2012 at 9:32 PM

RedCrow on February 20, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Thanks for the back up. :-)

Flange on February 20, 2012 at 9:41 PM

ghostwriter on February 20, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Of course he does. As someone else said here, he’s planting the seed.

PatriotGal2257 on February 20, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Dear Author,

Maybe it has something to do with the average non tax paying American citizen now getting an average of somewhere in the vicinity of $36,000 a year in free food, housing, medical care, education, etc. Duh!!!

Dude! Listen up! It’s a friggin damn miracle the top 10% of taxpayers who pay 70% of the taxes don’t riot and burn down the cities filled with cradle to grave dependents who vote for more free stuff from their official government pimps.

wtng2fish on February 20, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Dude, you have proven yourself to be the worst kind of hack writer with this line. The Detroit-always-riots-when-their-teams-win-championships cliche gets trotted out every time some other city riots after a big game. Detroit rioted exactly once after a big game — the ’84 World Series — and have three NBA titles, Stanley Cups and several Finals loses with no violence to speak of. Hell, Montreal and Vancouver have rioted more times than Detroit in the last 30 years, with Montreal burning three times since 1993. Chicago Bulls fans riot more than Pistons fans. The Pistons won three titles from 1989 – 2004, and there were no riots after any of them. Point being, your cliche is not only poor, hackneyed writing, it’s also provably false. How the hell did you get this gig, anyway?

holygoat on February 20, 2012 at 9:47 PM

holygoat on February 20, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Something got your holy goat?

cozmo on February 20, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Why don’t you Americans riot more?

The serious answer:

Decent people obey the law, engage in peaceful civil disobedience, or revolt. Only scum riots.

About 30 years ago Americans finally got fed up with the rising level of crime, so now we have a few million rioter types (scum) behind bars. Surprise, surprise, no more riots.

fadetogray on February 20, 2012 at 9:49 PM

srdem65 on February 20, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Detroit, 1968. Race riot.

holygoat on February 20, 2012 at 9:51 PM

holygoat on February 20, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Yep. Not sure if you saw my post here,
RedCrow on February 20, 2012 at 8:27 PM,
but Detroit continues to be the whipping-boy for all sorts of ignoramuses (most of whom have never been there) who can’t, for the life of ‘em, come up with anything remotely creative.

Also, he could have gone with LA, Philly, Boston, etc. ALL OF THEM much more recent than anything like that in Detroit.

I think you nailed it: He’s a hack.

RedCrow on February 20, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Ohh please Jazz. You make it sound like the city (Detroit) burns after every win. They save that stuff for playoff victories or else it is not as special.

mechkiller_k on February 20, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Find the last incident of Detroit burning after a playoff playoff game. Do it, right now.

Had to go all the way back to 1984, didn’t you? Yes. You did. First and last time. A lot of cities have pro sports riot problems, and I feel bad for them, son. Detroit’s got 99 problems (at least) but rioting ain’t one.

holygoat on February 20, 2012 at 10:02 PM

holygoat on February 20, 2012 at 9:47 PM

He’s probably conflating East Lansing into the Greater Detroit Metro Area. And when the state has to pass a law (back in 2004 or 2005, as I recall) ordering state-supported higher-ed institutions to expel students caught rioting, I can’t say he’s entirely wrong to do so.

Blacksmith on February 20, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Please. Tin-pot minor league Third World effort. Try Los Angeles after the Lakers win.

J.E. Dyer on February 20, 2012 at 10:06 PM

holygoat on February 20, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Heh. You’re a poet.

Now, I’m off to brave the cold and take a walk.
But don’t worry Jazz, I’m twenty minutes outside of the city, so I probably won’t be mugged more than six or seven times, and I’m sure I’ll only get stabbed once or twice.

Hack.

RedCrow on February 20, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but I think gun ownership has at least a bit to do with it. After all, “an armed society is a polite society.”

That said, perhaps we shouldn’t be surprised about the lack of civility in California.

Aquarian on February 20, 2012 at 10:08 PM

RedCrow on February 20, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Yeah, I saw it after I posted. I probably wouldn’t have replied had I read the comments first, but this stuff pisses me off every time, and I just went off all stream-of-consciousness like.

Montreal is the friggin Gold Standard for pro sports rioting, but whenever a city burns after a big game the lazy, thoughtless media losers like Jazz Shaw use Detroit as their go-to point of reference.

I wonder how many of these idiots who trot this bilge out there are even old enough to remember the 1984 World Series riot? Are any of them old enough to remember when Detroit burn after the Pistons won the NBA Championship? Trick question, Detroit never burned following any Piston’s game, championship or otherwise. God, what an insufferable tool Jazz Shaw is.

holygoat on February 20, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Blacksmith on February 20, 2012 at 10:05 PM

I can. Had he said “Just stop by East Lansing after the Spartans win” I’d have chuckled, because the joke would have been rooted in fact.

holygoat on February 20, 2012 at 10:16 PM

The poor are too obese to riot.

rob verdi on February 20, 2012 at 10:18 PM

7.62×39 and .45 ACP are my backup should the day arrive.

Yakko77 on February 20, 2012 at 10:24 PM

It is foolish comments like that make people think bloggers are mindless idiots. The last time Detroit had a riot was in 1984 after the Tigers won the World Series. There has never been a riot after a Pistons championship.

Since then:
Pistons have won three championships 1989, 1990, & 2004
Red Wings have won four Stanley Cups 1997, 1998, 2002, & 2008
Michigan Wolverines won the 1997 Football National Championship
Michigan Wolverines won the 1989 Basketball National Championship

and there has not been one problem.

Your immature slap at Detroit is a poor excuse for thoughtful commentary and by going for the cheap joke, you have demeaned all the hard work that people do on this site and the fight that I have every day to make people believe that conservatives are not just a bunch of inbred hillbillies from flyover country.

oconp88 on February 20, 2012 at 10:27 PM

You don’t know jack about Ben Franklin, or the reverend Martin Niemoller.

cozmo on February 20, 2012 at 9:01 PM

I feel so much safer knowing that armed fanatics are willing to shoot cops in the name of “liberty”.

Sic semper tyrannis!!

Because as we teach our children, sometimes you just have to take the law into your own hands, and shoot cops. It’s what George Washington would have wanted.

keep the change on February 20, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Right. It’s always so much better to teach your children that a)the Founding Fathers were violent fanatics who took the law into their own hands; and b)it’s always best (or at least, safest, for a while)to bend and spread for the government. After all, the government knows what’s best for you; and, anyway, they only want to take away ONE right – or, maybe two.

Or three or four.

But certainly no more than five.

Unless it becomes necessary.

For the good of the people.

(Btw, when did cops in the service of a dictator become so special that they can’t be shot?)

Solaratov on February 20, 2012 at 10:29 PM

oconp88 on February 20, 2012 at 10:27 PM

The big question is will they riot when the Lions win the Super Bowl this coming season?

Flange on February 20, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Solaratov on February 20, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Are you actually saying that you do not support the work of the Gestapo? /

sharrukin on February 20, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Why? Because the unemployed in the US are out buying lottery tickets and chugging beer……we are all spoiled here.

Metro on February 20, 2012 at 10:37 PM

oconp88 on February 20, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Flange on February 20, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Flange if the Lions win the Super Bowl, it’s the end of days anyway.

Seriously though, people in Detroit are SO sensitive to it that there is no way. You may have some limited idiots trying to get on CNN but the majority of the City will be out en masse to stop any nonsense.

oconp88 on February 20, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Are you actually saying that you do not support the work of the Gestapo? /

sharrukin on February 20, 2012 at 10:34 PM

I know. I’m unappreciative and I have a bad attitude.

I should probably work on that.

/s

Solaratov on February 20, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Why don’t we Americans have more riots? Soccer just isn’t that big of a sport here.

I saw somewhere, I can’t remember where, recently that nonviolent protests movements have a much higher success rate than violent protest movements. I suspect that’s because once violence takes over the merits of a protest movement are ignored as people are forced to focus on self-preservation. You probably aren’t going to be terribly worried about someone’s civil rights when you’re trying to keep them from bashing your head in. So violent protests tend to be counter productive.

Rip Ford on February 20, 2012 at 10:51 PM

oconp88 on February 20, 2012 at 10:39 PM

I’m aware of the sensitivity having lived there most my life, and all jokes aside, there are a lot of surly Lions fans out there. The fact that the game wouldn’t be played there and in Feb. would help, but with the drinking that would lead up to the game it’s a potential powder keg. I hope I get to see whether or not it happens.

Flange on February 20, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Detroit rioted exactly once after a big game

Well…there’s not much left to burn down that hasn’t already been bulldozed, right?

How you can defend a crap hole like Detroit after it’s destruction by liberal nuts is beyond me. You want to live better? Move to Somalia.

Twana on February 20, 2012 at 11:02 PM

All the old rioters from the 60′s are too old. Molotov cocktails and oxygen tanks don’t mix.

Actually, I think it’s apathy.

Russ86 on February 20, 2012 at 11:02 PM

It’s what George Washington would have wanted.

keep the change on February 20, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Suck it, tard.

Dominion on February 20, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Twana on February 20, 2012 at 11:02 PM

So making stuff up and lazy, uninformed blogging is cool so long as it’s attacking a liberal crap hole. Got it.

holygoat on February 20, 2012 at 11:12 PM

It’s what George Washington would have wanted.

Slither and Beg on February 20, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Suck it, tard.

Dominion on February 20, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Slither and Beg slithered off to lick it’s wounds right after I pointed out to him that it wasn’t what George Washington would have wanted, It was exactly what he did. It’s probably off to one of it’s Marxist/Progressive/Libtard blogs or websites whining and crying about how evil, cruel and hateful the wacko conservatives here at Hot Gas are. Oh, with a few choice insult’s about our levels of intelligence and obvious inbreeding and what not.

SWalker on February 20, 2012 at 11:15 PM

LA riots in 1992 seem to fit his description. But that was 20 years ago.

TouchdownBuddha on February 20, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Why don’t you Americans riot more?

Because most of our law-abiding citizens own guns?

JohnGalt23 on February 20, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Twana on February 20, 2012 at 11:02 PM

It’s the moronic, unfunny (and as holygoat pointed out) untrue joke that he tried to make. (I think it got about five laughs when Jay Leno made it up in 1987.)

In the interest of peace, I’ll help Jazz out with some comparable one-liners he can use for the rest of his posts this week.
Here you go, Jazz, my dimwitted friend, gratis:
1. I went to a boxing match and a hockey game broke out! (ba-dum-bump)
2. Take my wife…please!
3. Pull my finger.

RedCrow on February 20, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Twana on February 20, 2012 at 11:02 PM

The problem is the people in the suburbs are tied to the city. There’s plenty to bash the city about, but making stuff up is just piling on. Bashing the city makes life just that much harder for the people that are stuck there. How do you move if you can’t sell your house? And there’s not a ton of jobs elsewhere, so that makes moving that much harder. There are nice things about the general area also. Easy access to lakes St. Clair, Erie and Huron make it a great place for boaters and fishermen. It is a rough place, I gave up on it, but there’s a lot of good people in the area.

Flange on February 20, 2012 at 11:20 PM

SWalker on February 20, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Lol. I hadn’t really been following that conversation. (Too riled-up about the Detroit=riot genius.)

I’m sure G. Washington would react in a quite docile fashion, having his rights taken away. (He wasn’t really much of a fighter, that one.)

RedCrow on February 20, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Flange on February 20, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Sounds, really…great?

sharrukin on February 20, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Maybe because most know that rioting really doesn’t accomplish anything.

As for the Left, I’m sure they have a protocol of some kind as to when protests should be held, and whether they should be peaceful or violent. Maybe Saul Alinsky or Bill Ayers drew out some kind of matrix with various color-coded levels.

Other than that, if they’re getting their way without rioting I doubt they feel the need.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 20, 2012 at 11:28 PM

You’ve got more military supplied special tactics teams out there just itching for a full fledged riot to go and cap a few idiots.

J_Crater on February 20, 2012 at 11:30 PM

sharrukin on February 20, 2012 at 11:25 PM

The point isn’t that the city is great, it’s not, but that making stuff up is just piling on.

Flange on February 20, 2012 at 11:30 PM

sharrukin on February 20, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Also, I probably wouldn’t want to picnic in Compton or the south side of Chicago, either.

RedCrow on February 20, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Flange on February 20, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Yeah. I am from Mogadishu and its the same thing. People hear Somalia and thinks its all bad. Its not. Every Thursday there is a ceasefire so people can go shopping, there’s laughter, there’s singing. People are just too judgmental if you ask me. /

sharrukin on February 20, 2012 at 11:39 PM

7.62×39 and .45 ACP are my backup should the day arrive.

Yakko77 on February 20, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Yeh. That’s what I was thinking. Lead poisoning puts a crimp on widespread rioting – except in Democrat-run areas that usually disarm citizens. Same calibers, BTW.

Shambhala on February 20, 2012 at 11:47 PM

No doubt there’s a reason to feel for some in Detroit. But what am I making up?

Depressed housing with homes going for 10K? Crime? Education failures that are so enormous that most high schoolers in Detroit don’t graduate? That row upon row and block after block have been bulldozed?

That many of the city’s landmarks lie in ruins? We’ve all seen the pictures. That your elected represented “officials” are corrupt and are convicted felons? That Detroit is worse than DC? That Detroit has consistently elected those who wind up being the most incompetent to ruin the city further? Only taking the job to feather their nests and to hell with any redeeming value to that city?

And on and on..face it..Detroit is a ruined reminder as to what incompetence and socialism…as well as racism..has wrought.

So..whos to blame? Not yourselves of course.

Twana on February 20, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Twana on February 20, 2012 at 11:53 PM

That part that was made up was the rioting after sports victories. You didn’t do that so I’m sorry I directed that to you. You’re right about the problem, Detroit was after all the model city for the Great Society. If there is a methodical attempt to undermine America, Detroit was one of the original targets, it was after all the Arsenal of Democracy.
I don’t mind legitimate criticism of the city, which you did. I was just backing up the other posters pointing out the sports riot story is more myth than reality in Detroit.

Flange on February 21, 2012 at 12:13 AM

We riot less because we have manly sports then discuss our various differences and favorites typically over a beer.

viking01 on February 21, 2012 at 12:15 AM

RedCrow on February 20, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Don’t know about Compton, but my family owns a few million dollar homes on Chicago’s South Side.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on February 21, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on February 21, 2012 at 12:21 AM

That’s a lot of dollar homes. :-)

Flange on February 21, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Flange on February 21, 2012 at 12:26 AM

LOL!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on February 21, 2012 at 12:41 AM

That’s what Booth proclaimed just after he shot Lincoln.

I prefer: “Give me liberty, or give me death.”

davidk on February 20, 2012 at 9:22 PM

So? Its a good line. Though I like Patrick Henry’s as well.

By the way, sic semper tyrannis is also the state motto of Virginia.

oryguncon on February 21, 2012 at 12:50 AM

That’s what Booth proclaimed just after he shot Lincoln.

I prefer: “Give me liberty, or give me death.”

davidk on February 20, 2012 at 9:22 PM

I love this quote from Nathan Hale.

“I only regret that I have but one life to give for my country.

tom daschle concerned on February 21, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Before Obama, there was a multi-generational subculture that subsisted on government welfare. you need not work, we will take care of you for your vote. They sold their vote for $.

With Obama, there are fewer jobs, extended unemployment benefits and less choices. What they have done is expand their voting population.

Any fool can tell you that we have to stop this money giveaway to those who either don’t want work or can’t find it.

When this sanity is brought forth, all those who nurture on the government belly will rebel. Just like it was planned.

amadan on February 21, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Every now and again, I catch this TLC show called My 600 Pound Life. All of the super-morbidly obese people featured, live at or below the poverty level. It’s a marvel that enough of America’s poor are so massively large that a show can present a different one each week!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on February 21, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Our early history is full of riots and mobs, look at the Boston Tea Party and the Whiskey Rebellion, but the key point is that those public uprisings were against the government; not for any societial issues such as unemployment or cutting welfare money.

I’d like to think because our nation is rooted in the sense of law and order that it’s engrained inside every one of us to respect an certain amount of authority, especially when it comes to not destroying private property or attacking law enforcement.

But I digress…

timbok on February 21, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Rioters do not burn their own property. We have a well armed populace ready to defend them and theirs. Watts riots were mostly confined to a small area and if it had went on much longer and spread out side the ghetto they would have met private organized resistance. Paris has cars burned regularly but i have not heard what neighbor hoods are subject to this. Burning some chollos lowrider in LA might be considered suicide.

dunce on February 21, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Woe unto the Statist government that annoys me enough to cause me to rise from my comfy chair.

rayra on February 21, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Burning some chollos lowrider in LA might be considered suicide.

dunce on February 21, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Na, that aint suicide, cause it’s likely to get not only you killed, but all of your family members as well.

SWalker on February 21, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Why don’t Americans riot more?

dunce on February 21, 2012 at 1:49 AM

This is why.

scotash on February 21, 2012 at 3:13 AM

Emily Badger? Is she one of those large, wooden varieties?

Olo_Burrows on February 21, 2012 at 3:14 AM

Why would they riot when they are in the Golden Age of Obama! Everything is perfect and the 1% have been put in their place. You don’t have to pay for your own gas, mortgage or food, if you vote for him he is gonna take care of you! Just ask Peggy Joseph!

Africanus on February 21, 2012 at 3:27 AM

Maybe this country is more civilized than any country in the world, but you take away the intercity entitlements, and I guarantee all hell WILL break out!!!

angrymike on February 21, 2012 at 3:48 AM

Just wait till OWS goes to Democratic national convention in August.

hepcat on February 21, 2012 at 3:51 AM

Americans finally realized that there is a need for a butcher, a baker and a candle stick maker and doctors that are black. The difference between wants and needs is also a factor and the word fair just doesn’t make sense to the thinking person but does to the wanting person. The OWS protestors were the epitome of this type of thinking and what was sad was they had some backing that think it is just not fair to have to work hard and study and make some sort of sacrifice in order to have what you want.

mixplix on February 21, 2012 at 4:21 AM

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. – Robert A. Heinlein

During the riots over the Rodney King verdict, Korean shopkeepers defended their stores from the root-tops shooting looters. Community Crime Watch members armed themselves and established check points going in and out of their residential areas.

In any future riots where there is an armed populace, Rioters and looters know they will take causalities and it gives them pause.

In the Paris riots, police finally got permission to talk sternly to the Muslim rioters only after several nights of burning and looting.
These rioters were living in Ghettos, partly by choice to keep themselves in Muslim communities.

NTxOkie on February 21, 2012 at 6:03 AM

East Lansing? How bout East L.A.?

Look, when the flow of government cash to the poor and middle class in California gets shut off, there will be riots like we have never seen before. Hell, talk about being well-armed, it will be the rioters who will be packing.

The failed progressive experiment that once was beautiful California will make Greece look like a boy scout campfire.

BigAlSouth on February 21, 2012 at 6:35 AM

Of course there’s one very large difference between the USA and the European nations listed: The lawful ownership of guns. Said ownership has increased considerably since the the mid 60s when gun control was at/near it’s highest.

Perhaps the saying “An armed society, is a polite society” isn’t so far fetched as some would have you believe.

joated on February 21, 2012 at 6:50 AM

Riots? Riots? You want steenink riots?

Just watch what happens the day after The Black Narcissus is defeated. Urban areas all across America will burn. Of course Detroit doesn’t have much left to burn (and we in the hinterlands are well-protected *grin*),but other cities haven’t been as lucky.
I can see it now:
FOX News 24/7 coverage as America burns and the National Guard gets to do what they do best – think: Kent State. I’ll even listen to “Alice’s Restaurant” and reminisce.
Pass the popcorn!

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on February 21, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Like I said, America has a lot of wackos. It just take a match to light the fire.

keep the change on February 20, 2012 at 9:00 PM

But not many ‘fires’: maybe fewer wackos than you think?

PersonFromPorlock on February 21, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Uh oh… “THE FLEABAGGERS ARE COMING, THE FLEABAGGERS ARE COMING.
Keep your kids away from the “fleabaggers”.

mmcnamer1 on February 21, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Just watch what happens the day after The Black Narcissus is defeated.

Karl Magnus on February 21, 2012 at 8:35 AM

The odds of President Obama being defeated by any one of the GOP primary candidates are growing less by the day. The odds of President Obama being beaten by a shrill, self-righteous, abrasive former senator spouting off about social issues in the worst economic downturn since the Depression are exactly zero.

The odds of survivalist types living out end-of-the-world fantasies in the sticks suddenly realizing why cities exist in the first place after the flow of most goods, services, fuel, and food supplies stops are approximately 100%.

troyriser_gopftw on February 21, 2012 at 9:10 AM

South Central Los Angeles
Crown Heights New York
Sports team wins championship
A Liberal discovers someone disagrees with him/her. ;)

Americans do riot. Maybe not as often as elsewhere, but it happens.

hadsil on February 21, 2012 at 9:19 AM

So …
Mormons are good for “stockpiling”, while we “in the sticks” who are prepared to be self-sufficient are bad? Phew I hope you don’t have a family to feed and defend.
(actually, i hope for the kids, the ‘rents? meh, not so much)

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on February 21, 2012 at 9:22 AM

I personally feel that we will see Chicago have major issues this summer with the G8 and NATO summits. Oakland will likely see trouble as well when the OWS come out from hibernation. I am hoping against hope that these cities’ mayors handle the messes well, but I truly doubt they will. These are just the troubles we could see this spring.
We will begin seeing the really big ones once BHO is out of office and the community (or is that spelled communist?) organizers decide to go whole hog after the R replacement. These will be those ones to worry about, as the C organizers have been feeding folks the line that they “deserve” anything and everything their hearts desire for 3 generations.
The incoming R’s proposals for shrinking the deficit will be sold as anti-poor and anti-nonwhite by the C organizers. This has the potential to blow up in the organizers’ faces as they are playing with gasoline and matches. The backlash against such ‘demonstrations’ will have the potential to turn the milquetoast R proposals into something truly draconian.

This backlash, I feel, will be based upon our national history of being a Republic, the antithesis of the mob rule that these riots are exemplars of. At least I hope so…

Nathan_OH on February 21, 2012 at 9:30 AM

So …
(actually, i hope for the kids, the ‘rents? meh, not so much)

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on February 21, 2012 at 9:22 AM

I don’t know what Mormons have to do with anything in this discussion. I’m talking about logistical and societal interdependence between urban and agrarian sectors of a given economy, forget about the cultural aspects. So yeah, without healthy urban centers, ‘a country boy can survive,’ all right, at about the same subsistence level as his Somalian counterpart.

And that business about defending my family? You have no idea who I am, what I’ve done, where I’ve been, or what I’m about. I use my real name. You can look me up if you like. I link to my site via username. Go down to the part reading ‘Honorably Discharged Airborne Infantry veteran’. As a piece of friendly advice, insulting someone whose background you don’t know might be a bad idea in the Mad Max wasteland world you seem to be dreaming about.

troyriser_gopftw on February 21, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Hope the Badger article wasn’t a warning shot of things to come. The left always tells us what they are going to do before they do it.

Kissmygrits on February 21, 2012 at 9:47 AM

(snip)

troyriser_gopftw on February 21, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Spoken like a true urban elítist.
You have no idea the: who, what, wheres, hows here either.
Good Luck
Semper Paratus!

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on February 21, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Thanks to Obama, millions upon millions of additional Americans have decided to arm themselves in the past three years. So if the leftist rabble riots I suspect the average lifespan of each riot will be about an hour. The average lifespan of individual rioters will probably be measured in feet per second. That is one positive change Oby Won Adobe brought about.

MikeA on February 21, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Spoken like a true urban elítist.
You have no idea the: who, what, wheres, hows here either.
Good Luck
Semper Paratus!

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on February 21, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I spent a good chunk of my childhood on a farm in rural Indiana. I live in a small town, the county seat, not far from there. That we are considered urban elitists would come as news to us.

troyriser_gopftw on February 21, 2012 at 10:07 AM

If you took the financial crack(various forms of welfare) away from Americans we would have riots in the streets worse than Greece.

Wigglesworth on February 21, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Guns. End of story. You want to burn my business? Say hello my little friend…

serenity on February 21, 2012 at 10:46 AM

troyriser_gopftw on February 21, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Thanks for your service, Troy. I hope that all you learned during your career will never have to be used by you or like minded men who have a duty to defend their family.

BigAlSouth on February 21, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Two words…Bitter Clingers.

oconp88 on February 21, 2012 at 11:28 AM

BigAlSouth on February 21, 2012 at 11:05 AM

The 11B infantry MOS doesn’t translate well to the civilian world but I wouldn’t have traded that experience for anything. My son enlisted 11B a month ago. I’m very proud of him.

troyriser_gopftw on February 21, 2012 at 11:38 AM

troyriser_gopftw on February 21, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Been there, done that.

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on February 21, 2012 at 12:07 PM

“The government can only enforce order with the consent of the governed”

would be more correct if stated,
“The government can only enforce order with the consent, or voluntary or coerced submission, of the governed.”
I say this in view of, among other things, 5 decades of communist rule of much of Eastern Europe.

Ira on February 21, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Armed citizenry?

When the Occupy guys decided to try to break into a housing development and ran into the owner with a shotgun… a fire that could have spread might have been prevented then.

Even when the police try a “let the tire themselves out” approach, I suspect the risk of an armed citizenry is a deterrent to real rioting & violence… you need a lot of confidence that your neighbor will support you enough to let you burn down his house without shooting you before you start spreading that gasoline.

gekkobear on February 21, 2012 at 2:18 PM