Santorum crushing the field in Texas; Update: Also Oklahoma

posted at 11:00 am on February 20, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

If Texas had already settled its legislative redistricting issues, it would play an important part in the Republican presidential primary process.  With their redistricting tied up in court, however, Texas has had to move its primary from Super Tuesday in March to late May or early June.  That’s bad news for Rick Santorum, who has a crushing lead at the moment in a new statewide poll from the University of Texas and the Texas Tribune:

Santorum would get the votes of 45 percent of the respondents if the election were held today, according to the survey. The other three candidates in the GOP race — former U.S. House Speaker Newt Gingrich, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and U.S. Rep. Ron Paul of Texas — are clustered well behind. Gingrich got 18 percent, Romney received 16 percent and Paul garnered 14 percent.

The presidential race in Texas remains highly volatile, and the numbers could change significantly between now and the state’s primaries. They were originally scheduled for March 6 — early voting would have started this week — but have been delayed by redistricting litigation. Texas still doesn’t have all of its congressional and legislative maps in place, and May 29 appears to be the earliest possible primary date.

If the maps are further delayed, the primaries could slide into June. Either way, the other candidates have time to try to catch the front-runner, and the delays move the focus and some electoral clout from Texas to other states that will vote sooner.

“Rick Santorum has cut through the clutter and emerged as not simply the non-Romney candidate, but as the most credible conservative candidate in the race,” said Daron Shaw, co-director of the UT/TT poll and a professor of government at the University of Texas at Austin. “He hasn’t totally clinched that, but Santorum has gone from a guy who couldn’t get two minutes in a debate to being a guy who looks like the front-runner — not just in Texas, but maybe nationally.”

At least according to Gallup’s tracking poll, Santorum has become the national frontrunner.  Yesterday’s iteration put him eight points above Mitt Romney, 36/28, in their five-day rolling average.  That was a gain of two points in the gap from the previous day, which suggests that Santorum’s emphasis on fighting Obama over the HHS mandate has not hurt him among Republican voters at all.

In Texas, Santorum also has made the case for his electability, the most important aspect of the primary for 45% of the likely primary voters in the survey.  Among likely general-election voters in Texas, Santorum has the widest margin of victory over Barack Obama and the only one to win a majority, 51/37.  Romney comes close at 49/36, as does Newt Gingrich (49/38).  Native Texan Ron Paul only gets a 44/35 spread over Obama.  The partisan D/R/I split in this poll is 35/33/29, for those keeping score.

Santorum’s edge comes from his personal standing with the electorate.  He gets the highest favorability rating in the poll with a 42/31 split (14% neither favorable or unfavorable).  Romney is underwater at 37/48, as is Gingrich at 33/49 and Paul at 30/41.  (Obama gets a 40/55 favorability rating and a 39/55 job approval rating.)  Those ratings make it difficult for Santorum’s competitors to gain traction against him unless Santorum ends up getting eliminated before Texas gets a chance to hold its primaries.

As noted, though, Texas matters very little at the moment.  As a gauge of how the race is going, it’s certainly a good data point, but Santorum won’t get a crack at these delegates unless he’s around at the very end.  Mitt Romney should hope that the fight over the redistricting in Texas will play a very big role in this nomination process.

Update: I meant to write that “Santorum’s emphasis on fighting Obama over the HHS mandate has not hurt him among Republican voters at all,” but left out the word not, which was, er … an important word in that sentence. I’ve fixed it, and sorry for the confusion.

Update II: Oklahoma will vote in the March 6th Super Tuesday contests, and it looks as though Santorum will win handily there, too:

Former U.S. Sen. Rick Santorum has surged to the front among Oklahoma’s Republican voters, according to a SoonerPoll.com survey released Sunday.

Santorum was the first choice of 39 percent of the 278 likely voters who said they planned to participate in the March 6 state GOP primary.

Former U.S. Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich, first in a survey conducted last fall, dropped to third, behind former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, who remained second.

Romney, generally considered the frontrunner for the GOP nomination, was at 23 percent, followed by Gingrich at 18.

U.S. Rep. Ron Paul of Texas was at 8 percent, and 13 percent were undecided.

That’s a pretty small sample, although not so small as to be discarded entirely.  I’d like to see something with a 500-respondent or so sample to see how well it lines up with this poll.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Croke-la-homans are inferior to us.
They don’t count.
*runs*

annoyinglittletwerp on February 20, 2012 at 12:01 PM

You like playing in traffic too, I gather.

cozmo on February 20, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Anyone’s else. I have no idea how can any conservative believe that Santorum’s record on fiscal and economic issues isn’t the worse of them all and by far.

I think the only ones who disagree are those who value issues like gay marriage or if the right to use contraception is protected by the Constitution or not over stuff like public debt or spending.

joana on February 20, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Probably because the unbias facts are not in your favor, but just the opposite…yet you keep stating those lies.
Let’s take something like the National Tax Payers Union, an unbiased report on congress people and how they vote…lets look at Rick’s record, from an unbiased source, not joana’s trembling fingers as she thinks about Mitt…

Here is a synopsis

NTU’s scoring paints a radically different picture of Santorum’s 12-year tenure in the Senate (1995 through 2006) than one would glean from the rhetoric of the Romney campaign. Fifty senators served throughout Santorum’s two terms: 25 Republicans, 24 Democrats, and 1 Republican/Independent. On a 4-point scale (awarding 4 for an A, 3.3 for a B+, 3 for a B, 2.7 for a B-, etc.), those 50 senators’ collective grade point average (GPA) across the 12 years was 1.69 — which amounts to a C-. Meanwhile, Santorum’s GPA was 3.66 — or an A-. Santorum’s GPA placed him in the top 10 percent of senators, as he ranked 5th out of 50.

Across the 12 years in question, only 6 of the 50 senators got A’s in more than half the years. Santorum was one of them. He was also one of only 7 senators who never got less than a B. (Jim Talent served only during Santorum’s final four years, but he always got less than a B, earning a B- every year and a GPA of 2.7.) Moreover, while much of the Republican party lost its fiscal footing after George W. Bush took office — although it would be erroneous to say that the Republicans were nearly as profligate as the Democrats — Santorum was the only senator who got A’s in every year of Bush’s first term. None of the other 49 senators could match Santorum’s 4.0 GPA over that span.

This much alone would paint an impressive portrait of fiscal conservatism on Santorum’s part. Yet it doesn’t even take into account a crucial point: Santorum was representing Pennsylvania.

Gee, just a little different from your desperate attempt at painting him a fiscal liberal….

I have others if you are interested, but you are not interested in facts…that’s obvious.

right2bright on February 20, 2012 at 12:11 PM

joana on February 20, 2012 at 12:04 PM

I do value social issues. I don’t believe the debate over contraception has to do with whether or not you should use it, but whether or not the Church or other religious institutions should be forced to provide it. By the way there is not right to contraception. You do have a right to an attorney.

dmn1972 on February 20, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Seriously Republicans, Santorum looks like a good idea? You better check his voting record and hear what he has been saying (everyone is so focused on his social ideas, they have ceased to notice our economic melt down). He lost 61% of the women’s vote in his home state and lost the election by 18 points! You better vet this man or you will end up with him as the “not Romney” of the year. I am a staunch conservative and I think he is scary as h–. How do you think he looks to women, Independents and moderates out there? We WILL need them in this coming election.

PS cozmo I am from Texas and think you should keep your comments to the conversation at hand and stop with the personal attacks.

AnnaS on February 20, 2012 at 12:14 PM

That should be there is no right to contraception. -_-

dmn1972 on February 20, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Texas now has 38 electoral votes.

The states where Willard has won (Florida, New Hampshire, and Nevada) have 39 electoral votes, added together.

Emperor Norton on February 20, 2012 at 11:35 AM

This would be useful info if Texas was a swing state. Turns out it’s not. The other three you mentioned are all swing states.

hanzblinx on February 20, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Mr.gryphon you along with Mr. hawkdriver are two of the most intelligent posters on this site. You go to battle with dolts like joana. It is not worth it my friend,it’s like putting a condom on a string bean,there is no possibility of a fit.

celtic warrior on February 20, 2012 at 11:43 AM

I’d like to add a shout-out to Doughboy, too. His posts are always thoughtful and intelligent.

Right Mover on February 20, 2012 at 12:19 PM

It really doesn’t matter what the polls say.

Santorum is a weak candidate…and he can’t beat the obama machine.

Unless we get another republican candidate into this race…obama wins.

The democrats will use every trick in their playbook to win. And we will still be the nice guy who finished last.

We need a fighter…and Santorum isn’t it.

I can just imagine what the first debate between obama and Santorum will be like…obama uses Santorum’s record against him..and Santorum whines. Yeah, that will really get the voters behind him.

I never thought I would miss Rick Perry…but I do.

monique on February 20, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Croke-la-homans are inferior to us.
They don’t count.
*runs*
annoyinglittletwerp on February 20, 2012 at 12:01 PM

By us you mean asylum-seekers from Illinois?

Ah…No.

CorporatePiggy on February 20, 2012 at 12:22 PM

It really doesn’t matter what the polls say.

Santorum is a weak candidate…and he can’t beat the obama machine.

Unless we get another republican candidate into this race…obama wins.

We need a fighter…and Santorum isn’t it.

I never thought I would miss Rick Perry…but I do.

monique on February 20, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Your screen name is cute, but that doesn’t make your pessimism and cowardice any less ugly.

gryphon202 on February 20, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Should we be surprised? Texas gave us W, a big spending, big government “conservative”.

Look Polish on February 20, 2012 at 11:04 AM

No, clown, WE didn’t give you anything. You bought him all by yourself!

cartooner on February 20, 2012 at 11:19 AM

I have no idea why I struck such a nerve with you, because your reply makes no sense in relation to the point I was making.

Look Polish on February 20, 2012 at 12:24 PM

I did, thanks.

AnnaS on February 20, 2012 at 12:14 PM

You might want to talk to some of the people using the worst sort of invectives for Rick Santorum on Hot Air too. And actually, I’m reading Cozmos comments and wondering what he’s said that’s anywhere close to “Frothy” and f’cking idiot or Hitler, all of which have been constantly level at him. Will you do that for us?

hawkdriver on February 20, 2012 at 12:24 PM

I’m not too annoyed about reading a Morrissey post about Santorum. I know he endorsed him, so everything he writes is going to have a certain Santorum spin. But no one has campaigned yet in Texas or Oklahoma. So I don’t really care what those poll numbers look like until the electorate at large of those states is exposed to the candidates fully vetted.

Not that I think Santorum won’t play well here in Texas. I just think people here aren’t really paying attention right now.

cd98 on February 20, 2012 at 12:25 PM

gryphon202 on February 20, 2012 at 12:22 PM

It isn’t ‘cowardice’..its called reality.

Something you may want to introduce yourself to.

monique on February 20, 2012 at 12:26 PM

cd98 on February 20, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Take this to its logical conclusion, then. We’re already polling head-to-head one-on-one Republican contenders against each other, as well as with Barack Obama and it’s still a field of three. I’m all for slowing wayyyyy down and letting the process play out, but Texas and Oklahoma aren’t the only places that are the subject of stupid and pointless polling right now.

gryphon202 on February 20, 2012 at 12:27 PM

It isn’t ‘cowardice’..its called reality.

Something you may want to introduce yourself to.

monique on February 20, 2012 at 12:26 PM

I guess you define cowardice a little differently than I do, but my opinion of your attitude stands unchanged.

gryphon202 on February 20, 2012 at 12:28 PM

monique on February 20, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Clearly you don’t get it. It is wrong to use Sen. Busybody’s record and words against him. On the one hand, his fans here will tell you that all his statist social rhetoric means nothing, then they turn around and show that they themselves are busybodies who want to run the lives of their fellow citizens.

Look Polish on February 20, 2012 at 12:30 PM

AnnaS on February 20, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Cozmo is from TX to-as am I(by way of Chicago) and me thinks you should ask HA old-timers(other than me because I won’t tell you) what ‘Bishing’ is.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 20, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Look Polish on February 20, 2012 at 12:30 PM

This post isn’t cowardice. It’s stupidity.

gryphon202 on February 20, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Look Polish on February 20, 2012 at 12:30 PM

I must have missed a memo someplace. Would you mind outlining what we’re allowed to discuss here now?

hawkdriver on February 20, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Mitt supporters to trash Texas in 5..4…3…

katy the mean old lady on February 20, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Look Polish on February 20, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Heck! You didn’t even get to finish the count!

KOOLAID2 on February 20, 2012 at 12:34 PM

hawkdriver on February 20, 2012 at 12:32 PM

What is this, Reply With A Non-Sequitar day? Oh, no, I didn’t buy any greeting cards!

Look Polish on February 20, 2012 at 12:34 PM

gryphon202 on February 20, 2012 at 12:28 PM

And your opinion of my attitude is just that….your opinion.

Which means….nothing.

Deny it all you want…Santorum is weak…and will never beat obama.

And you attacking me won’t change that.

It just shows how easy it is for me to yank your chain…and how hard it is for you to defend Santorum.

monique on February 20, 2012 at 12:36 PM

And your opinion of my attitude is just that….your opinion.

Which means….nothing.

It is what it is, which isn’t much in the big scheme of things.

Deny it all you want…Santorum is weak…and will never beat obama.

And you attacking me won’t change that.

And your attacking Santorum won’t change my intention to vote for him in the primaries if I am able. Your opinion of Santorum means about as much to me as my opinion of you does to you.

monique on February 20, 2012 at 12:36 PM

I think others are doing yeoman’s work in bringing out the truth. but I didn’t call you a coward for dissing Santorum anyway. It sounds like you are ready to give up altogether. That is the attitude that I have no patience for, although I’m sure it won’t keep you from casting a vote for Mitt anyhow.

gryphon202 on February 20, 2012 at 12:39 PM

celtic warrior on February 20, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Right Mover on February 20, 2012 at 12:19 PM

HERE! HERE!

KOOLAID2 on February 20, 2012 at 12:40 PM

His fans here will tell you that all his statist social rhetoric means nothing

I don’t understand your reference to “statist” social rhetoric. In fact, his “social” rhetoric is the opposite of “statist.” His point is that the state should NOT tell a religious organization that they have to pay for something that violates that religious organization’s religious precepts. That is the complete opposite of “statist.” If you listen to his statements in context, he espouses freedom from statist dictates regarding healthcare, not FOR statist dictates about healthcare. Just because you disagree with someone’s personal religious beliefs you should not project onto that person all of the characteristics that you loathe, regardless of whether they actually possess such characteristics.

guitarman67 on February 20, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Look Polish on February 20, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Best I can tell (at least for the last few presidents) they are all big spending.

Time for a change much? Oh and frankly I don’t care what state he/she comes from.

landowner on February 20, 2012 at 12:51 PM

gryphon202 on February 20, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Ahhh, now we get to the gist of your problem.

You think I’m a mitt-bot.

You couldn’t be more wrong. My problem is that we don’t have a candidate in the mix who can beat obama…and that includes your pick Santorum..if that hurts your feelings, so be it. I really don’t care. What I do care about is getting obama out of office, and I don’t see what we have now as able to do it.

You may be willing to hitch your wagon to Santorums tarnished star…but I’m still hoping that someone who can take it to obama will jump into the race.

That’s the only hope we have if we really want to beat the obama machine.

monique on February 20, 2012 at 12:52 PM

I think anyone who supports and/or defends a candidate should answer one question, first to him- or herself, and then to critics. Is the candidate ideal, or just a lesser of four evils?

Note: Obama doesn’t count, he’s a greater evil by definition.

Do people who support Romney understand that he is an admitted liberal, sparks some religious superstitions, and is as exciting to the base as a Lunesta pill?

Do people who support Santorum understand that he had some vastly anti-conservative votes, and is perceived by Independents as a cross-carrying preacher?

Do people who (still) support Gingrich understand that he is toxic, bitter, unstable, and has more baggage than fully loaded Boeing 474?

Do people who support Ron Paul agree with and support his foreign policy, and understand that being wrong may literally mean the end of this country?

Answering yes to these question marks you as an honest supporter.
Answering no marks you, at best, as a zealot or a paid shill.

Archivarix on February 20, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Santorum is bringing on the anti-Obama rhetoric hard, and effectively, every day.

Mitt, daily, is providing mush. No edge, and no edge against Obama. This just won’t do, we need to bring sharp attacks constantly to get people against Obama.

But Mitt 2 months ago vowed “not to say anything incendiary… about Obama.” I am not kidding. Mitt sure doesn’t mind trashing his fellow republicans, though

anotherJoe on February 20, 2012 at 12:55 PM

That’s the only hope we have if we really want to beat the obama machine.

monique on February 20, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Am I to assume then that you won’t be voting in the primaries or the general? The field is set. And I’m sorry to have to point that out to you so brutally, but the only way that anyone other than the three current legit players are going to win (I don’t count Ron Paul or Gary “Big” Johnson) is if we have a brokered convention.

gryphon202 on February 20, 2012 at 12:59 PM

I actually wish Governor Perry was still in.

hawkdriver on February 20, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Gotta admit, even though they were killing him at least he showed up for the debates while he was in.

DanMan on February 20, 2012 at 1:00 PM

AnnaS on February 20, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Well let’s check his record….oh, it looks like the National Taxpayers Union, the unbiased conservative fiscal “report card” gave Rick an A, and in the top 10% of all congressman in controlling taxes and fiscal responsibility…all while representing one of the most liberal states, PA.
Thanks for having us check his record, it’s much better than I ever thought, far and above the other candidates.

right2bright on February 20, 2012 at 1:01 PM

That’s the only hope we have if we really want to beat the obama machine.

monique on February 20, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Stick your neck out and make a suggestion.

DanMan on February 20, 2012 at 1:03 PM

guitarman67 on February 20, 2012 at 12:48 PM

I’m not talking about healthcare. I agree that government has no right to dictate to any organization, especially faith-based entities. I’m talking about his statist views regarding the autonomy of the individual.

Look Polish on February 20, 2012 at 1:04 PM

gryphon202 on February 20, 2012 at 12:59 PM

And I hate to put it to you…but there’s still time for someone else, or maybe more than one person to jump into the race.

It ain’t etched in stone yet.

Hey, if we have a brokered convention…that might be the best thing for all of us.

Surely, someone who loves this country as much as I do, and I’m sure you do too, and who could unite our party, will come to our rescue.

Why would you think I wouldn’t vote?

That would be kinda silly wouldn’t it?

monique on February 20, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Archivarix on February 20, 2012 at 12:55 PM

No bias in that question…except, what “vastly” anti-conservative votes?
The anti-rick website listed 100 conservative votes that were wrong, and they made a big deal out of all 100…and some were not so conservative, and 100 is a lot, right?
But….he cast 8,000 votes on bills, so that made him 98.75% right on conservative votes…quite a ways from “vast” wouldn’t you say?
And of course as noted above, the National Taxpayers Union gave him an A rating for all 12 years, and the only A rating of any Senator the last four years of Bush’s rein…far away from “vast”.
Better revisit your facts my friend….you have been sipping the kool-aid…but you wont’ change, people like you, facts are unimportant…

right2bright on February 20, 2012 at 1:07 PM

A D/R/I split of 35/33/29 in TEXAS? Ya gotta be kidding.

Oleta on February 20, 2012 at 1:09 PM

right2bright on February 20, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Shove these silly accusations up yours, dude. There’s no point arguing with me, especially in such a nasty manner, since I’m not supporting any of the four stooges at the moment.

Santorum’s record was posted on Hot Air many times. Of the most egregious marks I can name off the bat, he voted to expand Medicare and to confirm Sotomayor. Both should be an abomination to anyone who calls him- or herself a conservative.

Archivarix on February 20, 2012 at 1:12 PM

We finally get our own Dukakis. See you all in 2016

TonyR on February 20, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I lived in OK for 10 years. This can be called the anti-Mormon vote. I suppose this is similar in Texas as well.

Santorum cannot win in the General. And, yes, he is the Sharon Angle of the 2012 Primary Season.

uhangtight on February 20, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Oleta on February 20, 2012 at 1:09 PM

I agree.
That dog don’t hunt.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 20, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Why would you think I wouldn’t vote?

That would be kinda silly wouldn’t it?

monique on February 20, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Oh I dunno. Maybe the fact that your burning desire for a brokered convention seems to have overridden any semblance of your sanity.

gryphon202 on February 20, 2012 at 1:31 PM

This poll agrees with what I am seeing and hearing here in the area in which I live. Like me, my neighbors and friends like Santorum, though in the end they would vote for Bozo the Clown over Obama. Bozo would do less harm and love the United States without wanting to destroy it and rebuild it as a socialistic nanny state.

lukjuj on February 20, 2012 at 1:34 PM

I’m not sure who will win in Texas and Oklahoma, I am pretty sure Romney won’t be able to spend enough money to win either state.

bflat879 on February 20, 2012 at 1:40 PM

A D/R/I split of 35/33/29 in TEXAS? Ya gotta be kidding.

Oleta on February 20, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Why? Seems typical of Texas.

joana on February 20, 2012 at 1:43 PM

DanMan on February 20, 2012 at 1:00 PM

He had a bad debate. I’m not sure I’d call it being killed.

hawkdriver on February 20, 2012 at 1:46 PM

AnnaS on February 20, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Honey, those Texans get what they deserve. The country would be so much better off if Texas took their stupid governor and stupid Texans and just be a whole ‘nother country. And they can take the Okies with them!

Obama is a genius by declaring war on Texas. What an easy target. Those Texans have no power, or firepower. All they have is that dumb desire to be free and work hard. God, guns and country Texas, what an outdated way of thinking.

cozmo on February 20, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Geez Louise what a bunch of whiny gits there is now at HotAir. For crying out loud, vote for whoever you think will govern closer to where your position is and be done with it. The Mittbots are about as obnoxious as the Paultards are and none of you are getting anyone to favor your candidate with the obnoxiousness of your posts. There is no perfect candidate out there so get over yourselves. Romney is not a conservative no matter how good his rhetoric may be. He governed in a blue state, because he CHOSE to try and govern a BLUE STATE. He doesn’t get credit for the “oh, woe is Mitt. So tough to be a Republican in a blue state.” His being outside Washington is because he couldn’t get elected, or else he WOULD be another Washington insider. Santorum works for me in the PRIMARY but in the general, am voting for whoever is the GOP nominee including the ever desperate looking Mitt Romney. Cripes, anyone is better than Obama from the GOP side. What happened to this site? I’m struggling to even want to scroll through the comments these days.

Renwaa on February 20, 2012 at 1:49 PM

lukjuj on February 20, 2012 at 1:34 PM

They are not allowed to vote for Bozo. He runs on the same ticket with Obama.

Archivarix on February 20, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Let’s see what happens when Texas actually has our primary *grumble*

All of this is to try and preserve Lloyd Dogget’s seat. True story.

Sekhmet on February 20, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Maybe. But I think Dr. Donna is running for the Assembly this time around. Any good conservative Republicans available to kick the “Dog”-get out of there? He is an embarrasement to anybody outside of Austin.

NOMOBO on February 20, 2012 at 1:50 PM

cozmo on February 20, 2012 at 1:47 PM

*snerk*

annoyinglittletwerp on February 20, 2012 at 1:55 PM

BUT, BUT, BUT……

He’s not electable.

He’s too Conservative.

He’s too much of a “bitter-clinger”.

Keep voting gop base…….

….and keep watching the Beltway talking heads go into a tizzy.

PappyD61 on February 20, 2012 at 1:57 PM

*snerk*

annoyinglittletwerp on February 20, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Don’t be trash talkin’ Okies. Them’s some good folks.

The Wichita Mountains are only a couple of hours from you and some dang nice country. I just wish I had more time on Saturday to make it the other 30 miles to Lawton.

cozmo on February 20, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Mitt is trying the… if I can just squeeze through with the Republicans and get the nom, the Democrats will vote for me thing that McCain tried… Why would Democrats vote for Romney when they could vote for the declared Democrat Obama?

I think Santorum could win. The Democrats are uninspired and shrinking, the Independents hate Obama and his America destroying policies and the Republicans can agree with Santorum on enough stuff to not have to hold their noses when they vote for him…

CCRWM on February 20, 2012 at 2:15 PM

All they have is that dumb desire to be free and work hard. God, guns and Texas, what an outdated way of thinking.

cozmo on February 20, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Thanks. I had written you off after the full day of communismism last week.

DanMan on February 20, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Thanks. I had written you off after the full day of communismism last week.

DanMan on February 20, 2012 at 2:18 PM

That’s okay. I write off anybody who cannot tell the difference between analytical communism and the reality of totalitarian socialism.

cozmo on February 20, 2012 at 2:25 PM

cozmo on February 20, 2012 at 1:47 PM

I think Montana would follow, and join the United States of Texas. Go on dare us, I double dog dare you ;)

Dr Evil on February 20, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Dr Evil on February 20, 2012 at 2:49 PM

You ain’t a man until you’ve had calf fries. I think I was six then.

Come to think of of it, you ain’t a woman either, until you’ve savored that delicacy.

cozmo on February 20, 2012 at 2:58 PM

[I]t’s clear they’re pulling their punches. It’s almost like they want him to win or at least prolong the race.

He’s really an atrocious candidate– I understand the Romney dislike, but being stuck with this idiot as our “conservative” option now in the end is a slap in the face. Perry and Huntsman were infinitely better options, and who actually had executive experience too.

thurman on February 20, 2012 at 12:02 PM

They (the media) do want him to win. Or at least prolong the race.

It’s a sad state of affairs when the Dems/media and the GOP base are working toward the same goal.

Syzygy on February 20, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Dr Evil on February 20, 2012 at 2:49 PM

You ain’t a man until you’ve had calf fries. I think I was six then.

cozmo on February 20, 2012 at 2:58 PM

We call them rocky mountain oysters, but they still taste the same :)

Dr Evil on February 20, 2012 at 3:07 PM

We call them rocky mountain oysters, but they still taste the same :)

Dr Evil on February 20, 2012 at 3:07 PM

That’s because y’all wait too long to harvest them. They are best when taken early, more tender and it gets all that testosterone out of the little guy so he can become a proper steer. And when fed to prepubescent boys…well, they take over businesses and countries and…

Man, those were good times.

cozmo on February 20, 2012 at 3:14 PM

cozmo on February 20, 2012 at 1:47 PM

We tried that and you liberals force us to stay. I live in western MA but if you can get the the rest rest of your lefty friends to agree to let TX out I’ll go home in a nanosecond. Maybe Mitt will run for gov of MA again and you can rent my house. Being located in the berkshires, it’s a great place to sit watch liberal NYC weekenders and make fun of them. That might not be appealing to you.

rik on February 20, 2012 at 3:34 PM

rik on February 20, 2012 at 3:34 PM

After living in the forward thinking Utopia of Massachusetts, what makes you think that Texas would take you back?

Texas wouldn’t want your superior New England ways to contaminate Texas. Unless, you had a really good recipe for clam chowder. There are some good clams down Corpus Christie way. No Boston baked beans though. Texas isn’t ready for that.

cozmo on February 20, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Just curious; if candidate A is too weak to beat the incumbent but is strong enough to beat all competition in his primary bid then what does that say about his competition? Does anyone really believe that if Santorum becomes the Republican nominee (by winning enough delegates) that Romney or Paul or Gingrich would be a stronger candidate against Obama? At the end of the primary season we’ll have a Republican candidate and he’ll win only if all Republicans support him.

Robbin Hood on February 20, 2012 at 3:55 PM

cozmo on February 20, 2012 at 3:44 PM

B/C I’m not you!

rik on February 20, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Especially Lubbock and all those towns near the eastern TX/NM border.

Okay, now I am confused. East Texas borders the fun state of Louisiana, and we have no inbreds here nor any Santorum decals or signs.

jazzuscounty on February 20, 2012 at 4:13 PM

jazzuscounty on February 20, 2012 at 4:13 PM

She’s a newly minted Texan. She hasn’t lost all her marbles, yet.

B/C I’m not you!

rik on February 20, 2012 at 4:00 PM

And boy I’m thankful for that. If you were me, then I would have to be you. I passed up working on the movie Judge Dredd so I could skip a winter in Boston.

You’re still there.

cozmo on February 20, 2012 at 4:42 PM

One question.

Why do people think Santorum is a Conservative? Have you seen his voting record? Also, after 4 years of Obama, I was thinking Ammerica might want to elect someone with some Executive Experience of some sort.

Does Santorum have any Executive Experience of any kind? He is a bigger lightweight than Obama was 3 years ago.

mitchellvii on February 20, 2012 at 5:33 PM

cozmo on February 20, 2012 at 4:42 PM

You need to get out more. the berkshires have about as much in common with Boston as mitt does with Gop. The people in my area are to the right of the average Texan. I grew up in the middle of a McMurtry script and the story continues here. I,m probably the only antique dealer in the country that deals in early Italian furniture and european fabrics that is also a born and bred goatroper. But like Billy Costigan I have a different accent for different areas

rik on February 20, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Archivarix on February 20, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Good luck on finding someone that voted 8,000 times on bills, and voted the same way you would have each time…I have a feeling you won’t be honestly supporting anyone this time around, which is exactly what Obama is counting on…your naivete is exactly who Obama is looking for.

right2bright on February 20, 2012 at 5:45 PM

One question.

mitchellvii on February 20, 2012 at 5:33 PM

The National Taxpayers Union gave him an A (for fiscal conservative) for every year he was a Senator, and the only Senator to receive an A from them the last four years of Bush’s term.
Also, the one anti-rick website (conservative) listed every one of his egregious votes, 100 “conservative errors”…what they failed to mention was, he voted 8,000 times, so he had a conservative voting record of 98.75%, pretty darn strong…considering some votes like the excellent Health Savings Accounts he created, he had to hold his nose and vote for mandates in other areas since they had to be in the same bill.
With 12 year experience, and an A grade in conservationism, I don’t think he is what you are thinking…but then facts won’t matter to you, you have made up your emotional mind.
BTW, I think his 12 years trumps Obama’s few years of saying “present”…that kind of gave it away as to how weak your knowledge is…but like I stated, it won’t matter to some one like you.

right2bright on February 20, 2012 at 5:51 PM

rik on February 20, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Seeing as how Romney is working to become the standard bearer of the GOP, I’m not sure that is the comparison you were shooting for.
1700 hundred miles is quite a hike with only your statement that the Berkshires are different from Boston to go on.

The people in my area are to the right of the average Texan.
rik on February 20, 2012 at 5:34 PM

But are they as worthless as all Texans?

Is your area of Massachusetts the “hell on Earth” that is the entire state of Texas?

Only stupid people would want to go to the septic tank otherwise known as Texas. Worthless land with even worse people.

If a yankee were to move to Texas, that yankee would have to support two Texans and a Mexican. The smart yankees know better than to go to Texas.

cozmo on February 20, 2012 at 5:56 PM

right2bright on February 20, 2012 at 5:45 PM

they want someone who votes present. Now who might that be.

rik on February 20, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Look Polish on February 20, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Pretty cool to give an example of a non-sequitar in your remark. Yours was better and made even less sense.

hawkdriver on February 20, 2012 at 6:13 PM

jazzuscounty on February 20, 2012 at 4:13 PM

I live in Lubbock.
I meant the Western Texas/Eastern NM border.
Lubbock is Paulestinian central.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 20, 2012 at 6:57 PM

jazzuscounty on February 20, 2012 at 4:13 PM

I live in Lubbock.
I meant the Western Texas/Eastern NM border.
Lubbock is Paulestinian central.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 20, 2012 at 6:57 PM

I was also jumping in with Cozmo…who’s a proud TEXAN.
Evidently, y’all are new here. If you weren’t-you’d realize that cozmo is PULLING YOUR LEGS!

annoyinglittletwerp on February 20, 2012 at 7:00 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 20, 2012 at 7:00 PM

ALT,
You wag your finger,
you root for perennial losers,
you bite,
you think you are surrounded by Paul-bots,
you’re an epic buzz kill,
you’re a transplanted yankee,
you’re…mom?…!

cozmo on February 20, 2012 at 7:23 PM

cozmo on February 20, 2012 at 7:23 PM
Got a teenager.
Not my fault.
*Having a teenager-yeah…THAT’S partially my fault.*

annoyinglittletwerp on February 20, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Mitt is all calf and no cattle

SparkPlug on February 20, 2012 at 9:49 PM

cozmo on February 20, 2012 at 5:56 PM

I’ve just been reading this thread & watching TV:-) Many of these newbies are wondering how you got in after Registration closed, ROFL You are too much:-)

bluefox on February 20, 2012 at 11:10 PM

bluefox on February 20, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Here I am trying to save his bass and all he can do is call me a mother and whine about how I bit him.
Everybody needs to be bitten sooner or later.
It was just his turn.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 20, 2012 at 11:20 PM

bluefox on February 20, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Everybody needs to be bitten sooner or later.
It was just his turn.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 20, 2012 at 11:20 PM

I’ve seen that. Ungrateful, that’s what he is, LOL

Hope things are good with you!!

bluefox on February 21, 2012 at 12:24 AM

uhangtight on February 20, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Ahh, a Rovian douchebag identifies itself! Watching Willard the Liberal Repub become annointed by you Ruling Class schmucks and seeing him get bent over by Obama & Team Evil is going to elicit a very loud and profound “I told you so”!

insidiator on February 21, 2012 at 7:41 AM

With their redistricting tied up in court, however, Texas has had to move its primary from Super Tuesday in March to late May or early June. That’s bad news for Rick Santorum…

But it’s great news for America!

A vote for the unelectable bigot Rick Santorum in the primary is really just a vote for Barack Obama. Barack Obama wouldn’t even have to break a sweat in defeating the toxic theocrat extremist Rick Santorum.

The Obama campaign and other Democrats are Rick Santorum’s biggest cheerleaders right now.

Rick Santorum = Barack Obama’s Best Friend

bluegill on February 21, 2012 at 7:56 AM

We’re doomed.

SarahW on February 21, 2012 at 8:29 AM

What has Mitt and Rick proposed? Newt Gingrich has repeatedly said that he will repeal Obamacare, eliminate the Depts. of Energy and Education, and refuse to pay or allow entrance into Federal Court bldgs, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, as a warning to all activist judges. As a Conservative, that’s the kind of change I want, not business as usual.

nofreelunch on February 21, 2012 at 8:48 AM

all he can do is call me a mother and whine about how I bit him.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 20, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Pay attention, I didn’t call you a mother, I asked if you were…mom…as in mine.

bluefox on February 20, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Somebody has to play with them.

cozmo on February 21, 2012 at 9:00 AM

cozmo on February 21, 2012 at 9:00 AM

I WAS paying attention-but what I wrote was funnier.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 21, 2012 at 10:39 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 21, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Yes dear, of course it was.

Here, have a cookie.

*puts on electrified chain mail gauntlet before handing yankeetwerp a cookie*+
+ ALT patented descriptive used without permission.

cozmo on February 21, 2012 at 10:48 AM

As a Texan, born and raised, I can tell you, Texans are NOT THAT STUPID! Santorum is turning into a true lunatic, wack-a-doo!!!!

phoebe1 on February 21, 2012 at 12:26 PM

PS: Have you noticed the survey “samples” are getting smaller and smaller? Are we trying to cook the books????

phoebe1 on February 21, 2012 at 12:28 PM

phoebe1 on February 21, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Yes they are.

cozmo on February 21, 2012 at 2:18 PM

hope springs eternal, mitt. Don’t be lookin’ for mah vote. Texas is only goin’ to vote for ya if yer the last man standin’…and hidin’ behind that barrel over yonder ain’t helpin’ ya none.

ted c on February 20, 2012 at 11:13 AM

If Romney is the last man standing in the primary (in Texas)…I won’t vote for him. I will vote straight down the ticket for all the other offices and skip the repub presidental nominee.

Now if he is the repub nominee in the general…I will have to vote for him…unfortunately. Of course I would vote for a can of orange juice over the Manchurian candidate.

tmontgomery on February 21, 2012 at 4:38 PM

The problem is at this point we would be stuck with him. Turning out the base is great but we still have to get half of the independants, and I don’t see Santorum doing that.

BuzzCrutcher on February 20, 2012 at 11:20 AM

$4.00 and $5.00 gasoline should help get those indi’s. Maybe a few dems too.

tmontgomery on February 21, 2012 at 4:46 PM

The biggest danger with Santorum Romney as the candidate is simply folks will sit out the election. Their conscience will be clear. They can be content that while they didn’t vote against Santorum Romney by the same token they didn’t vote for Obama. The biggest threat is a low voter turnout. A couple of vans driven by union members to round up some senior citizens from the retirement homes and few college kids who show up with visions of free ipads in their future is all it would take to ensure Obama and his cronies maintain power.

Just A Grunt on February 20, 2012 at 11:33 AM