Fired ESPN editor: I didn’t mean anything racist in my Jeremy Lin headline

posted at 5:45 pm on February 20, 2012 by Allahpundit

Nothing says “slow news day” like debating whether some random guy’s turn of phrase was or wasn’t secretly motivated by racism.

Actually, I take that back. Nothing says “slow news day” like one of those viral vids of a cop tasering a defenseless person. But since I don’t have one of those, this’ll have to do.

The ESPN editor fired Sunday for using “chink in the armor” in a headline about Knicks phenom Jeremy Lin said the racial slur never crossed his mind – and he was devastated when he realized his mistake.

“This had nothing to do with me being cute or punny,” Anthony Federico told the Daily News…

He said he has used the phrase “at least 100 times” in headlines over the years and thought nothing of it when he slapped it on the Lin story.

Federico called Lin one of his heroes – not just because he’s a big Knicks fan, but because he feels a kinship with a fellow “outspoken Christian.”

“My faith is my life,” he said. “I’d love to tell Jeremy what happened and explain that this was an honest mistake.”

Lin himself said he didn’t think it was intentional, and as I write this, 58 percent of readers who took the Daily News online poll at the link above agree. I lean towards thinking that too, just because if the racial connotation had occurred to Federico while he was writing the headline, it also would have occurred to him that it was career suicide to go ahead and publish it. The only other explanation is that he knew the word “chink” had some sort of racial association but, for whatever insane reason, didn’t realize that it was offensive. Is there a single copy editor anywhere in America who’s that naive?

But it’s not cut and dried. I think Patterico’s too dismissive in waving this away as “political correctness gone amok” since, like Ace says, Lin’s race has been part of the “Linsanity” fascination since he first broke out. Any undrafted player coming off the bench to torch the Lakers for 38 points at the Garden would be a story, but if it’s a brainy Asian kid from Harvard, you’ve got a stereotype-shattering hook capable of driving demand through the roof. Media coverage of Lin’s race ranges from photos of silly signs spotted in the stands to serious pieces about reaction in China and Taiwan to the occasional lame racial joke tweeted by a sportswriter to criticism from other athletes that Lin is overhyped because he’s Asian. (Note to Floyd Mayweather: Yes, there are black players in the NBA capable of putting up stats like Lin has over the past three weeks. But not many.) Fans are so conscious of Lin’s race, in fact, that even though Federico’s headline went live at 2:30 a.m., it was yanked just 35 minutes later — rapid reaction for such a late hour. It’s certainly possible that Federico didn’t make the connection between Lin’s race and the phrase he used in the headline, but since he worked in the busiest news hive of American sports — which had devoted plenty of airtime to the many angles of Linsanity — he surely was aware at least that race was one of those angles. That’s why Ace is skeptical, and why I’m a little hesitant even though I think Federico probably meant no harm.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Breaking News:

“Anthony Federico has written a new article apologizing to Lin…

… it’s titled: ‘We need more Calgon!!!’

Seven Percent Solution on February 20, 2012 at 7:53 PM

It’s not late if you think about the fact that the NBA is huge on the West Coast and all the games get over with around 130-200am Eastern time. Just in time for half the country to hit ESPN hard after the games to get reaction.

Spliff Menendez on February 20, 2012 at 7:54 PM

I feel gyped by this headline!

This is a perfect example of what happened here.

I was in a training class once for a new job for a large company. Without thinking about it much, I used the word “gypped” in conversation with someone.

The trainer — who was an excellent teacher, fair, and way-above average competent, so no criticism of him intended — turned to me and said, “You can’t use the word ‘gypped’ here because it’s offensive.”

I asked, perplexed, “Offensive to who?”

He said: “Gypsies.”

I thought about it for a second, and replied, “Oh, that makes sense.”

And so it does. Once I knew about the reasoning why this word wasn’t in line with company policy, I had no problem at all with not using it. But the point is, I didn’t think of that at first.

Random on February 20, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Im Puerto Rican, and if someone walked into my house and said, “wow your house is really Spic & Span” I wouldn’t think
they were racist. Actually maybe I should sue the makers of Spic &Span. Maybe it is a hidden joke about how lots of Hispanics are in the cleaning business… RAAAACIST!!!
I’m so sick of the thought police on the LEFT telling us what
we can and can’t say.

mcplumbercuda on February 20, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Confucius say “Word only offensive if intended to offend”.

VBMax on February 20, 2012 at 8:02 PM

I know that there are (for example, being the most numerous minority) black people that really get offended at some of these expressions: “call a spade a spade”, “dark days ahead”, even, “black holes”. I get this. I’ve watched MSNBC and seen Jesse Jackson, so I know these reactions exist.

But really, the black people I remember talking to didn’t bat an eyelash at any of the above and wouldn’t consider it racist at all. Not in my experience anyway.

Yeah, I guess when we called my friend Silver a “chink” growing up, that’s what we meant, but we all had various insults for each other. If they were race-based, awesome, but if we didn’t have a race-based one, trust me that that didn’t stop us any.

Random on February 20, 2012 at 8:05 PM

I only bought tickets to the last Suns vs Knicks game to see an out and out race war .. This guy should be fired for false advertising.

preallocated on February 20, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Confucius say “Stick and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me”

VBMax on February 20, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Confucius say “He who start problem over nothing have something to hide.”

VBMax on February 20, 2012 at 8:11 PM

libfreeordie on February 20, 2012 at 7:38 PM

So if you say I’m blonde, and I say “that’s wrong, I’m gray,” does that mean I’m invested in Clairol?

/s

hungrymongo on February 20, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Confucius say “He who make millions bouncing ball don’t care what you call him”.

VBMax on February 20, 2012 at 8:16 PM

No, the act of saying “that’s wrong” indicates that they’re simply wrong.

Why would they be wrong in that hypothetical? Because the responder believes that it is capital T true that they are white.

libfreeordie on February 20, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Time travelers from the future that come back to the 20th Century will have to check some kind of spreadsheet by year to know what to call black people and not get beat on.

slickwillie2001 on February 20, 2012 at 7:24 PM

libfreeordie on February 20, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Wow. I never expected you two to agree.

rogerb on February 20, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Confucius say “Laugh in face of he who use silly word”.

VBMax on February 20, 2012 at 8:24 PM

It seems like such an overreaction to fire somebody over such a trivial offense.

ghostwriter on February 20, 2012 at 8:27 PM

This is beyond ridiculous. People need to get over themselves. Seriously.

AnotherRightWingConspirator on February 20, 2012 at 8:28 PM

libfreeordie on February 20, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Are you an apple?

PXCharon on February 20, 2012 at 8:29 PM

What I’ve observed so far is that Lin is a really good player but he fails the character test as is par for the course (whoops, wrong sport) for Ivy Leaguers.
He had a chance to step up to the plate (whoops, wrong sport) and save this guy’s career by asking ESPN to reinstate him as he feels it was an honest mistake. But no, the guy has to be made a sacrifice to the god of political correctness instead.

VBMax on February 20, 2012 at 8:32 PM

I never thought for a moment that Federico’s ” slip of the pen” was Lintentional.

If anyone’s racist it’s ESPN. They constantly harp on the racism theme. If Lin had been Greek and the editor had said that he was the “achilles heel ” of the Knicks, I would expect them to do nothing.

I don’t condone racial epithets, but to constantly remind everyone of them actually reinforces them IMO. Of course, there’s no mention of the sexual innuendo filled beer ads that ESPN runs every 10 minutes. I have nothing against that either but the facts are that the beer they advertise is pissoi and the commercials are crass sexism. Apparently, ESPN keeps themselves afloat running this garbage.

Pot meet kettle.

DevilsPrinciple on February 20, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Crap.. now Allah’s saying that it WAS intentionally done as a racist thought?

Dammit folks.. let’s just get rid of any verbal or written vocabulary!! Hell, we are no longer allowed to communicate in any way, shape, fashion, or form… If you can’t read my mind, you’re just “s.o.l.”

DaSaintFan on February 20, 2012 at 8:34 PM

libfreeordie on February 20, 2012 at 7:38 PM

So it’s not racist to refer to black people as black now?

How about saying “blacks” as one would say “whites?” Is it racist to say that when referring to either group? As is done in most medical literature, for example?

Provide everyone a link to the Official Race Manual so we can all figure it out and finally move on from this regressive, juvenile stupidity.

Good Lt on February 20, 2012 at 8:34 PM

I’m hoping Lin heads up a boycott of ESPN until Federico gets his job back.

“Chink in armor.” Yes, I’ve heard the phrase, but it’s not all that common. My guess is that Federico thought he was being clever using it in this context, perhaps even had used the phrase before, and thought he’d have plausible deniability if he was accused of being racist later. I do think he was trying to be clever, though, and it backfired.

I don’t like that kind of slur. It’s one thing when Gingrich is called a racist for saying “too many people are on welfare” and it’s another thing to use derogatory terms like that.

It brings back memories of when Obama in 2008 while campaigning used the phrase “putting lipstick on a pig” right after Palin had become famous for the way she characterized herself as a “pitbull with lipstick.” Obama’s use then made me very angry, but what made me angrier was Obama and his team acting indignant about being accused of using it, pretending it was completely innocent because the term was “used often in politics.”

Burke on February 20, 2012 at 6:26 PM

What does “not all that common” even mean in a case like this? It’s not like phrase is as unknown or unused as it seems you are trying to make it seem: I Googled news stories from 2005 to 2007 (before Jeremy Lin was well known). The search yielded 1,450 results. Every sort of publication, from the New York Times to the Washington Post to little read blogs use this expression. Every three days, this term comes up an average of 4 times. I could not find one use of the term which was explicitly or implicitly offensive.

Even if he was trying to get away with ‘being clever’, to not give him the benefit of the doubt only goes to show how low we’ve sunk in this society because of the now-omnipresent hypersensitivity we’ve acquired towards the next easily-triggered victim we all know is just around the corner, whose delicate sensibilities we avoid offending by restricting our usage of whichever tabooed words the PC Police have added to their ever-growing list of them i.e. the infantilization of this nation keeps on truckin’!

Bizarro No. 1 on February 20, 2012 at 8:35 PM

I’m curious as to how old the writer in question is. In my experience, the word chink as a pejorative for Chinese isn’t that common anymore (i.e. I don’t think I ever actually heard it used growing up, and I know of it only in an academic sense). If the guy is the same age as the average commenter here (or the average poll respondent, which is the only source of HA demographic data I know of), then I would expect him to be well-aware of the term. If, on the other hand, he’s closer to my age (mid-twenties), I think it’s entirely possible that he either never learned it, or it was so remote in his mind that he didn’t think about it.

sadarj on February 20, 2012 at 8:40 PM

libfreeordie on February 20, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Don’t expect anyone to “have respect for you” if you think you are somehow one with everyone who is black according to the one-drop rule of racists. Because normal people with functioning brains don’t view everyone else based on their perceived race.

For instance, I don’t know if you are really black or a guy or an American, but I can see clearly that you are a whiny little liberal b!tch. And isn’t that really more important than ancestry?

Jaibones on February 20, 2012 at 8:41 PM

VBMax on February 20, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Cincinnati Reds owner Marge Schott had to go to sensitivity camp for saying asinine things incl. I believe the ger word. One of the black ball players who had it right said something like “she’s an old lady and I don’t care what she calls me as long as she pays me that 4 million.”

arnold ziffel on February 20, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Lol…I did! The team is now called the Dragons…I wonder if that will be thought of as unacceptable one day?

ellifint on February 20, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Had a solid wrestling program back in the day.

Jaibones on February 20, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Ok, you’re spared, if you spare us your comments.
Deal?
ted c on February 20, 2012 at 7:40 PM

I acknowledged and apologized for my inappropriate comments when those leftists got under my skin back a few weeks ago. If you’re going to judge me by those comments and ignore all the other comments I have made, that is your choice. But seriously you need to worry about yourself and your own comments. If you don’t like my comments, don’t read them, and don’t respond to them.

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 20, 2012 at 8:45 PM

It kind of reminds me of the term “jap” which was/is? a derogatory term for Japanese. That, of course, is because they were the enemy in WWII. But later the term became an Acronym for Jewish American Princess which I guess is meant to be derogatory as well.

VBMax on February 20, 2012 at 8:46 PM

sadarj on February 20, 2012 at 8:40 PM

I believe he is twenty eight.

arnold ziffel on February 20, 2012 at 8:48 PM

This guy got railroaded. I had to think about it for a minute before I realized, “chink Jeremy Lin OHHHH!” I haven’t heard that word used in a derogatory manner in so long it did not occur to me. I have heard the phrase chink in the armor FAR more than chink as a derogatory name for asians. This reminds of black peple that complained when Denzel Washington won an Oscar for being the villian in Training Day. Then again my grandma, GRHS thought Denzel should have won an Oscar for Ricochet. Score one for the PC police. They are winning far too often…

Theworldisnotenough on February 20, 2012 at 8:49 PM

On the other hand, this is a good warmup for the coming campaign of public shaming of greasy Islamophobes.

BL@KBIRD on February 20, 2012 at 8:51 PM

As usual people just take ish too far. This is just residual annoyance that black people would have the audacity to say they’d like to have some control over how our racial group is referred to in media, law and schooling. If you would prefer to use “colored” or something, just do so. But don’t expect any black people to confuse you for someone who has respect for us.

I will say this though. I find “African-American” to be a really ridiculous term and I try and avoid it, though habits die hard. To me it says little of the experience of black people who immigrated from the Carribean, and if conflates recent African immigrants with the descendents of slaves. I prefer “black” because it encompasses all of those groups and it also can be used to apply to African descended people in other nations and continents.

But who am I kidding. White conservatives are always saying things like “why can’t we just move beyond race?” Fine, you first. When not a single white person raises an eyebrow at an interracial relationship then we’ll know that “race” no longer matters. When white people stop calling themselves “white” then we’ll know that race no longer matters. But whiteness is as big a part of white people’s identity as blackness is to black people. If you scoff then I ask honestly, if someone said to you “you’re black right?” wouldn’t the majority of white people respond with “no, that’s wrong, I’m white.” The very act of saying “that’s wrong” i.e. there’s a distinction between whiteness and blackness, a clear, bright line distinction, means that you’re invested in race.

libfreeordie on February 20, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Once again, a Leftist was unable to disprove the theory that no Leftist has graduated junior high, emotional age-wise.

You really don’t realize how retarded you look & sound here, do you?

Bizarro No. 1 on February 20, 2012 at 8:51 PM

libfreeordie on February 20, 2012 at 7:38 PM

What a load. But it’s unintentionally quite revealing. When can we move past race? Back come the answer: “When not a single white person…” First, it is a ridiculous, unattainable condition, which means that the racemongers have no intention of ever moving past it. Second, the responsibility for racism falls entirely on unnamed “white people”. Do nonwhite people have anything to do with racism? What about when black people (am I allowed to say “black”?) raise an eyebrow at an interracial couple? What does that mean?

And as for the “invested in race” nonsense, if somebody mistakenly asserted that my height was this or that, I would correct them on it. Does this mean that I’m “invested” in height, or is it simply another physical characteristic? It sounds more to me like you are trying to impute your hangups with race onto the rest of us. No thanks! You can keep that all to yourself.

ghostwriter on February 20, 2012 at 8:51 PM

This niggardly reponse to the phrase “chink in the armor” shows there is a proverbial nip in the air in race relations that we should try to make spic and span by cleaning up the language. I hope I didn’t fail to offend you.

Ted Torgerson on February 20, 2012 at 8:56 PM

BTW if race was so integral to Lin’s story, then where is the racial reference here:

A

…Lin’s story alone is remarkable. He’s a Harvard graduate who was also an undrafted free agent to the NBA a year ago. He bounced around between the Association and the D-League multiple times, was Golden State’s version of Brian Scalabrine, and made his way to a reserve roster spot with the New York Knicks. Before he was almost cut for a 3rd time during his short career, Lin was called to start due to the rest of the roster being plagued by injuries. And so began the rise of Linsanity. During the Knicks’ 7 game win-streak bringing them back into playoff contention, Lin averaged 24.4 points per game and 9 assists per game. Despite the current record of the teams defeated in the streak combined being 84-136 (12-19 on average) and Lin setting a franchise record of consecutive games with 6+ turnovers, “Linsanity” spread through the national media faster than “Tebowmania”. Thus the beginning of where the coverage of Lin went too far…

A little over a week into Jeremy Lin’s fame building steam, ESPN began comparing Lin to Tim Tebow. The only thing the two truly have in common is the fact they are devout Christians. Lin’s story is that of a true underdog and before finally getting his start in the NBA, was an absolute mystery. We knew what Tebow was coming into the season. Tebow was a Heisman trophy winner, a national champion and a 1st round draft pick. Tebow appeared in an anti-abortion commercial, was given the starting quarterback job by the pressure of an ignorant and restless Denver fan base, and has been justifiably regarded as the most polarizing professional athlete in sports today. Lin has played beyond himself and has produced at the level of a superstar in a game that can be dictated by an individual. Tebow is a sub-par (sometimes average) quarterback in the ultimate team sport, where wins are dependent of the whole team (offense/defense/special teams). Kurt Warner, on the otherhand, was bagging groceries and playing arena football before he became a Super Bowl winning quarterback throwing with the best in the NFL. Warner’s story would have made a much more effective comparison to what Lin has accomplished. But Lin has still received more attention in two weeks than Warner ever received during his 12 seasons in the league.

Where is there a racial reference anywhere in that story?

ghostwriter on February 20, 2012 at 8:58 PM

You just don’t look that smart right now friend.

libfreeordie on February 19, 2012 at 2:47 PM

rogerb on February 20, 2012 at 8:58 PM

I find “African-American” to be a really ridiculous term…

It is a ridiculous term for me since my white, South African-born
son-in-law, now a naturalized citizen, would technically qualify as
an “African-American”

VBMax on February 20, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Michelle Obama is out skiing in Aspen. If FNC ran a head line that stated “Michelle is on the ski lift and we are all wondering if she will ski,and now we know she will, the jig is up”. Would all of the liberals at ESPN say that it was just a simple mistake? Hardly. I do not know the ESPN anchor but this was not a simple mistake. No person fluent in modern English would ever mix metaphors like that. I too think we have gotten too politically correct but with the msm in the pocket of the left and the Obama admin, but I repeat myself, we have to demand some form of equality in enforcement. If we allow them to go after us and people like Rush over absolutely nothing but their perceived racism then we will be at a huge disadvantage.

inspectorudy on February 20, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Ted Torgerson on February 20, 2012 at 8:56 PM

I’m a little surprised that you got that post through the language filter!

ghostwriter on February 20, 2012 at 8:59 PM

VBMax on February 20, 2012 at 8:32 PM

I think we should give it/him some time first before condemning him – let’s see what happens over the next week.

Bizarro No. 1 on February 20, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Ted Torgerson on February 20, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Nicely done.

PXCharon on February 20, 2012 at 9:00 PM

It is a ridiculous term for me since my white, South African-born
son-in-law, now a naturalized citizen, would technically qualify as
an “African-American”

VBMax on February 20, 2012 at 8:59 PM

lol!

ghostwriter on February 20, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Bizarro No. 1 on February 20, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Sure, I’ll wait and see what happens but wouldn’t speaking up for the guy been your first impulse, if you were in Lin’s shoes?

VBMax on February 20, 2012 at 9:03 PM

I’m a little surprised that you got that post through the language filter!

ghostwriter on February 20, 2012 at 8:59 PM

+1. I couldn’t get rhymes-with-biggardly through in an earlier post. I wonder what the difference is?

rogerb on February 20, 2012 at 9:12 PM

I find “African-American” to be a really ridiculous term…
libfreeordie on February 20, 2012 at 7:38 PM

That’s why I use the more accurate, but wordy, term “people of sub-Saharan descent”.

One interesting fact about that group is they are the only people on Earth who lack Neanderthal genes, since the Neanderthals evolved in Europe and the Middle East, and the humans that somewhat interbred with them were those that left Africa.

I’m not sure what the significance of that is. Australian aborigines have the highest percentage of Neanderthal genes. Yet neither group has the largest brains or highest IQs, but Australian aborigines, at least, have better developed visual centers in their brains and both have fairly strong jaws compared to other humans, and both are well adapted for hot, sunny weather.

So it’s probably the environmental niche occupied by the different populations of humans that made a bigger impact on the developments of biological differences over time more than interbreeding with Neanderthals.

But it is an interesting bit of trivia.

Random on February 20, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Here’s another article about Lin: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1071068-10-must-see-nba-matchups-leading-up-to-2012-all-star-weekend-in-orlando

Once again, the author neglected to mention that “integral” racial component of the Lin phenomenon.

ghostwriter on February 20, 2012 at 9:13 PM

He did say he’s not bothered by it and he doesn’t think it was intentional.

Random on February 20, 2012 at 9:14 PM

libfreeordie on February 20, 2012 at 7:38 PM

No, I don’t think that’s true. I’m aware that my skin is white but that’s biological, not cultural. I’m not aware of and don’t identify with anything one would call “white” culture. For example, there is no “White History Month”. I think you would agree that there is an American “black” culture that many blacks identify with.

VBMax on February 20, 2012 at 9:25 PM

libfreeordie, I should explain why I said what I said to you.

Look at your post: sweeping, unexamined generalizations? Check. Lack of leadership, but wants it from others? Check. Unrealistic perfectionism? Check. Unprovable assertions, clung to like facts? Check. Focus on others’ “flaws”, not on their potential to overcome them? Check.

You’re depressing. You’re depressed. You’re melodramatic. You categorize others as a group, instead of dealing with each person individually. You haven’t figured out a path to happiness. With your attitude and behavior, how is it possible for you to ever truly be happy?

This is something Leftists don’t understand: you could give them everything they ask for, and they’ll still be unhappy – we could live in a completely non-bigoted world, and Leftists would still find something to be anxious and upset about i.e. Leftists are impossible to please.

libfreeordie, until you stop looking at everyone else around you & the “problems” they cause you, and concern yourself with your self instead, you’re hopelessly stuck where you are now.

Bizarro No. 1 on February 20, 2012 at 9:28 PM

If that were true then O’Bozo, who is 50% Kansas-Marxist-white and something measurably less than 50% Kenyan-Arab-Muslim black, would certainly identify strongly as a white person, all crackery and bearded-Marxist.

Right, Homes?

Jaibones on February 20, 2012 at 9:29 PM

He did say he’s not bothered by it and he doesn’t think it was intentional.

Random on February 20, 2012 at 9:14 PM

I understand that but he didn’t say the guy shouldn’t be fired. Didn’t go the extra yard (whoops, wrong sport again :)

VBMax on February 20, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Big difference is white people can point back to thousands of years of their history and culture. Black people in America mostly can’t, and the recorded parts of their history began with their recent enslavement.

Random on February 20, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Curmudgeon on February 20, 2012 at 6:20 PM

It’s a common enough quote, but applies to defenses. Lin’s weakness isn’t on defense; there is “chink in his armor” there – his problem is on offense, committing turnovers.

If the guy is writing for a crawl and isn’t sensitive to such stupidity, he’s in the wrong line of work. But he didn’t do it by accident, he was being a wise guy and it blew up in his face.

Adjoran on February 20, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Yes, I agree he should. Earlier in the thread I said I would if I were Lin.

Random on February 20, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Adjoran on February 20, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Well, I’m a little relieved to hear that he didn’t get fired over an inadvertant poor choice of words. It still seems like a very harsh response for a relatively minor lapse in judgment. They could have suspended him for a few days if they felt a need to make a point….

ghostwriter on February 20, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Random on February 20, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Good example. I had a similar experience when someone told me that was a racial slur. I’d never made the connection in my life.

Thing is, I still sometimes use it without thinking, because that had never been my association with the word and sometimes no other term comes immediately to mind when I consider being cheated. To me, that’s all it meant before, and even now, that’s still what I think of first, not a minority group.

So it’s possible the writer knows the racial connotation but truly didn’t make the connection with this headline until after it was published. I don’t even understand why it’s a slur to be honest.

Esthier on February 20, 2012 at 9:39 PM

libfreeordie on February 20, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Oh so you speak for all blacks….hmmm seems kinda racist to me.

CW on February 20, 2012 at 9:43 PM

“Thing is, I still sometimes use it without thinking, because that had never been my association with the word and sometimes no other term comes immediately to mind when I consider being cheated.”

Yes, I understand. The word jewed, which I heard sometimes growing up (although no one I knew was particularly anti-Semitic and my dad a positive Israel booster if only out of revulsion at the Holocaust) is more obviously a deragotory term to me since it has the word “Jew” in it and I think of that word when thinking of the people.

“Gypsy” was something I didn’t understand much and what I knew of it was from Enid Blyton British adventure novels, and the protagonists having awesome adventures with European travellers in caravans, so it never occurred to me to think there was something unpopular about Gypsies until I studied European and WW2 history in more depth. Now I mostly think about them as “Roma”.

As far as “chink in the armor goes”, well look — I don’t have any way of knowing exactly what he was thinking, but apparently he doesn’t have a track record of racism and he does have a track record of using that on-point metaphor in a sporting context, so I have to give him the benefit of the doubt for a single incident.

That’s just basic fairness.

Random on February 20, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Random on February 20, 2012 at 9:33 PM
Big difference…..

Yes, agree that makes sense.

Yes, I agree he should. Earlier in the thread I said I would if I were Lin.
Random on February 20, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Thanks, now I’m caught up.

VBMax on February 20, 2012 at 9:48 PM

I don’t know why everyone has such a hard time imagining that he might not have thought of it in advance.

Who the hell hasn’t said something they later wish they hadn’t that they meant a different way than that which it was taken?

Random on February 20, 2012 at 9:49 PM

That navel gets too much attention.

tom daschle concerned on February 20, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Random on February 20, 2012 at 9:45 PM

I grew up in California and had never heard the term “jewed him down” until my mid-30′s when I traveled to Chicago. At first,
I was taken aback but the people I was engaged with there were the furthest thing from racist that you could imagine. So, I let it go and chalked it up to just some nomenclature they had grown up with and gotten used to using.

VBMax on February 20, 2012 at 10:01 PM

And while I guess people feel a need to take offense at things, but seriously, is that not just another way of saying Jews are often astute negotiators who drive a hard bargain? I’m hard pressed to see how it’s more of an insult than a compliment.

Random on February 20, 2012 at 10:07 PM

libfreeordie on February 20, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I know this is kind of late to be noting this, but what does NAACP stand for again?

VBMax on February 20, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Random on February 20, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Yes, but I guess I was taken aback at being stereotyped which I don’t fit at all :)

VBMax on February 20, 2012 at 10:10 PM

LOL. Fair enough. Remind me to buy a house off you then. :P

Random on February 20, 2012 at 10:16 PM

LOL. Fair enough. Remind me to buy a house off you then. :P

Random on February 20, 2012 at 10:16 PM

LOL!!

VBMax on February 20, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Being that I’m part native, I will “scalp” you financially.

Random on February 20, 2012 at 10:26 PM

VBMax on February 20, 2012 at 9:03 PM

You probably didn’t see my post @8:35, 3 minutes after yours, in which I said at the beginning, “I’m hoping Lin heads up a boycott of ESPN until Federico gets his job back.“, so yeah, speaking up for Federico was my initial impulse, too. But sometimes, people don’t think to think, if you know what I mean.

I’m the type of person who is quick to change myself when I realize I’m making a mistake, but, when I haven’t yet thought of what it is that I’m doing wrong, or don’t have someone around me pointing out my error, how could I possibly know that I need to change? Of course, if I had been aware of a particular mistake I was making at the time it was occurring, I would have acted differently, but, that’s not how we learn from our mistakes in this universe.

So, to tersely sum up my point, good people who have the will to do the right thing sometimes don’t do it because they haven’t yet figured out what that right course of action would be for a given situation.

Bizarro No. 1 on February 20, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Bizarro No. 1 on February 20, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Got it, thanks for explaining..

VBMax on February 20, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Being that I’m part native, I will “scalp” you financially.

Random on February 20, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Hey, I think we’re on to something! Is that where “ticket scalper” comes from?

VBMax on February 20, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Federico is a blackguard, I say!

Of course he didn’t mean anything racist by chink in the armor.

Unfortunately the sportscaster forgot the bulk of ignorant folk who have no idea what the expression means or where it comes from ….

The same lack of education got the Oblama elected, did it not?

Sherman1864 on February 20, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Hey, I think we’re on to something! Is that where “ticket scalper” comes from?

Shut up, you racist! I just told you I was native!

Random on February 20, 2012 at 10:46 PM

ghostwriter on February 20, 2012 at 9:13 PM

So you’ve found a couple of exceptions to the rule. Congrats on that. Trying to “prove” that Jeremy Lin’s Chinese heritage is not an enormous part of the Jeremy Lin story is a losing cause, though.

holygoat on February 20, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Bizarro No. 1 on February 20, 2012 at 9:28 PM

I just noticed that this post of mine said, “…concern yourself with your self…”, when I meant it to be, “…concern yourself with your self…”

Yes, we do need an edit button here!

Bizarro No. 1 on February 20, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Not like you to be “hesitant”, Allah! Come now: choose a side! None of this wishy-washy stuff, if you please!

Sherman1864 on February 20, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Goodnight, VBMax et al. Have a good one.

Random on February 20, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Random on February 20, 2012 at 10:55 PM

You too!

VBMax on February 20, 2012 at 10:56 PM

hostwriter on February 20, 2012 at 9:13 PM

holygoat on February 20, 2012 at 10:46 PM

I was two for two (I looked at 2, and I found 2), in articles I examined. Sure, it’s a small sample, but the point stands that the story can be discussed intelligently without any reference to his race. If it was an enormous part of the story, then those articles would have been notably deficient.

Maybe you can explain to me what I’m missing. What meaningful element does Lin’s race add to the story that this kid came from out of nowhere to perform at a superstar level for the Knicks?

ghostwriter on February 20, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Technically, there’s nothing racist in ‘the orchestra is on the other side of campus’. Yet, that’s one of the taunts that Lin used to hear when he played road games in college. Now, why would opposing fans say something like that if Lin wasn’t in the orchestra? Three guesses, first two don’t count….

joejm65 on February 20, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I honestly don’t know what this means. Can anyone help out?

cptacek on February 20, 2012 at 11:04 PM

ghostwriter on February 20, 2012 at 9:38 PM

The oppressiveness just gets worse and worse, doesn’t?

What I’d love to know is how they are so sure his headline was made with an ulterior intention – how do they know it wasn’t merely a Freudian slip, and/or that it wasn’t as innocent as he claimed? Unless ESPN is 100% certain he’s being dishonest, they deserve a lawsuit (not that they can be sued, only that they deserve to be.)

Unless someone has some good, inside information to back it up, declaring that he is lying about what he says his motive is proof of a person’s idiocy.

Bizarro No. 1 on February 20, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Fired ESPN editor: I didn’t mean anything racist in my Jeremy Lin headline

Idiot, he should have stayed away from unintended racism and just stuck to spousal abuse. He’d still have a job at ESPN.

Caper29 on February 20, 2012 at 11:50 PM

VBMax on February 20, 2012 at 10:07 PM

North American Appropriate Caucasian Punishment organization.

arnold ziffel on February 20, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 20, 2012 at 7:18 PM

You must have known there’s a double entendre.

Random on February 21, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Which is cool, by the way.

Random on February 21, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Couldn’t his own bosses, the people he sees every day figure out if the guy is not a nice person or not and given to mayhem?

If he’s a decent guy without a history of this kind of thing, they should have let him stay at the job. Maybe this wasn’t the first time, so they fired him. Who knows. Maybe they fired him for “our” sakes so as not to offend “us” and lose readership, since we get all freaked out so easy, apparently, and they know if they don’t take ACTION, even if it’s unfair to the guy, they will be viewed by the squawking classes as OMG complicit racists because that’s what we do at the drop of a hat these days.

They didn’t need to fire him for our account, since we don’t actually know shit from shinola about whether he did this on purpose or not.

Allahs vulva on February 21, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Confucius say “Word only offensive if intended to offend”.

VBMax on February 20, 2012 at 8:02 PM

I didn’t realize Kong Fuzi spoken broken English.

DarkCurrent on February 21, 2012 at 3:29 AM

It doesn’t seem like it was an intentional attempt at a stupid racist pun. It’s not like there’s ever been widespread bigotry or xenophobic attitudes towards Chinese or people of Chinese ancestry in the US. At least not since the repeal of the Chinese Exclusion Act anyway.

DarkCurrent on February 21, 2012 at 3:30 AM

Where is there a racial reference anywhere in that story?

ghostwriter on February 20, 2012 at 8:58 PM

I agree, but this writer is technically ignorant.I’m not a Denver or Tebow fan. I do admire his incredible tenacity and belief in himself.

Clearly the author of this article , Michael Piff never played a team sport. If he had, he would have realized that ice hockey is the ultimate team sport. But, I digress. In fact he is so ignorant that he actually believes that Tebow is sub par ?

Lets take a look at the facts :

Tim Tebow had a better passing rating than either Cam Newton or Michael Vick . The Broncos’ quarterback had a passer rating of 83.6, while Newton is at 82.6 and Vick is at 80.6.

Most yards per completion in a playoff game: 31.6 against Pittsburgh in 2012.

Most yards per completion in a playoff game: 31.6 against Pittsburgh in 2012.

Most 30+ yard passes in a playoff quarter: Tebow was the first NFL player ever to complete four passes of 30 yards or more in a single quarter of an NFL playoff game, with 51, 30, 58, & 40. And this was against the 2011-2012 Pittsburgh Steelers rated #1 in defense in the NFL in various, especially relevant categories.

Fewest passes to 300+ yards in any NFL game: According to the authoritative Bleacher Report, Tim Tebow is the only quarterback in the Super Bowl era to throw for 300+ yards in only ten completions.

Only quarterback to throw three 50+ yard passes in a playoff game: since the NFL/AFL merger in 1970 according to Bleacher Report for 51, 58, & 80.

Longest touchdown pass in NFL playoff history in overtime: 80 yards, and in the shortest overtime play, 11 seconds, almost a minute quicker than any previous NFL postseason overtime.

Fastest to six game-winning drives: Against the Chicago Bears, Tim Tebow earned a Super Bowl-era NFL league record with his sixth game-winning drive in the fourth quarter or overtime in just his first eleven games!

13+ Point Fourth-Quarter Comebacks: By way of comparison, John Elway, two-time Super Bowl winner, second “most-winningest” NFL quarterback ever, one of the NFL’s all-time comeback kings with a great combination of game winning drives and fourth-quarter comebacks who earned his sixth fourth-quarter comeback after 29 games, had won after trailing in the fourth quarter by 13+ points twice in 16 seasons. For this amazing Tebow NFL record, he overcame a 13 or more point deficit in the fourth quarter twice in his only first four games.

Most yards per attempt in a playoff game: Tebow threw for 15 yards per attempt against the Steelers.

Best-selling NFL Jersey: Tebow’s #15 became the best-selling NFL jersey when he was drafted, the best-selling ever for a rookie, and has remained among the highest-selling jerseys and in January 2012 is second only to Green Bay’s 2011 super bowl winner Aaron Rodgers. [Other Very UNRELATED Jersey Record: See below for $10,000 paid by Bob and Doug for two football jerseys.]

This list doesn’t even include his amazing college record.

Surely, Piff is joking when he said that ? Or is he just a racist,
anti-Theist ?

Every time I turn around I’m vetting some “professional” a$$h*le who can’t do their job.

DevilsPrinciple on February 21, 2012 at 4:28 AM

Allahs vulva on February 21, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Yes, I agree. This is why I’ve fired ESPN from my TV(I’ve actually V-chipped ESPN from every household TV) and now turn to NBC Sports. Hopefully, they won’t be Linaccurate in their reporting,too.

DevilsPrinciple on February 21, 2012 at 4:40 AM

libfreeordie on February 20, 2012 at 7:38 PM

libfreeordie is another white man speaking for the oppressed blacks in the US. Must be tough shouldering all of that guilt and shame for an entire country. (sarc)

You are a tiresome Richard Cranium. ( Ooooops.. I’ve offended the di*kheads of the world now)

DevilsPrinciple on February 21, 2012 at 5:05 AM

I asked, perplexed, “Offensive to who?”

He said: “Gypsies.”

I thought about it for a second, and replied, “Oh, that makes sense.”

Random on February 20, 2012 at 7:58 PM

You’re kidding us, right ? How many gypsies does ANYONE know ? This man was fair, excellent and way above average competent ? LOL!

This is one of the most ridiculous comments yet from a poster. Keep this up and you’ll be right up there in the HA HOF for most banal comments evah with libfreeordie and pinkpussybullets.

DevilsPrinciple on February 21, 2012 at 7:05 AM

I asked, perplexed, “Offensive to who?”

He said: “Gypsies.”

I thought about it for a second, and replied, “Oh, that makes sense.”

Random on February 20, 2012 at 7:58 PM

This is definitely one of the most banal plattitudes ever issued on HA.

DevilsPrinciple on February 21, 2012 at 7:10 AM

“Is there a single copy editor anywhere in America who’s that naive?.

Exactally!

Federico knew what he was writing when he wrote it. All of this pretending it was a “mistake” is BS.

etbliss on February 21, 2012 at 8:54 AM

I guess that I am the dumb one on this board, but I did not know the chink was a slur to the Chinese. The man appears to be an incredible athlete and a really good person. Something that is hard to find in basketball or any other professional sport these days.

SC.Charlie on February 21, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Adjoran on February 20, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Totally agree, despite how others on this board want to spin it. This simply is not a coincidence.

asc85 on February 21, 2012 at 11:35 AM

joejm65 on February 20, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I honestly don’t know what this means. Can anyone help out?

cptacek on February 20, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Don’t think anyone’s answered this one for you. Basically saying that Chinese men are more likely to be involved doing effeminate things like playing violin or something like that in an orchestra than they are to be involved in the manly sport of basketball.

Not politically correct, but college fans say much worse things, like making fun of Steve Kerr in college when his father got killed in the Middle East by Arabs.

asc85 on February 21, 2012 at 11:42 AM

I personally couldn’t care less about his headline and I am sick of this social consciousness that some people want to force down our throats. I am sick or worrying about offending everyone!!!!!
Pretty soon it will be offensive to speak ENGLISH because we might offend someone that wasn’t born here and lives here illegally. I could be offended everyday by something someone says if I just WANT to be offended.
If you overweight people can’t say puffy, doughy, pudgy, plump,swollen, ripe etc. Get the heck over it and grow up!

SgtRed on February 21, 2012 at 12:20 PM