Fired ESPN editor: I didn’t mean anything racist in my Jeremy Lin headline

posted at 5:45 pm on February 20, 2012 by Allahpundit

Nothing says “slow news day” like debating whether some random guy’s turn of phrase was or wasn’t secretly motivated by racism.

Actually, I take that back. Nothing says “slow news day” like one of those viral vids of a cop tasering a defenseless person. But since I don’t have one of those, this’ll have to do.

The ESPN editor fired Sunday for using “chink in the armor” in a headline about Knicks phenom Jeremy Lin said the racial slur never crossed his mind – and he was devastated when he realized his mistake.

“This had nothing to do with me being cute or punny,” Anthony Federico told the Daily News…

He said he has used the phrase “at least 100 times” in headlines over the years and thought nothing of it when he slapped it on the Lin story.

Federico called Lin one of his heroes – not just because he’s a big Knicks fan, but because he feels a kinship with a fellow “outspoken Christian.”

“My faith is my life,” he said. “I’d love to tell Jeremy what happened and explain that this was an honest mistake.”

Lin himself said he didn’t think it was intentional, and as I write this, 58 percent of readers who took the Daily News online poll at the link above agree. I lean towards thinking that too, just because if the racial connotation had occurred to Federico while he was writing the headline, it also would have occurred to him that it was career suicide to go ahead and publish it. The only other explanation is that he knew the word “chink” had some sort of racial association but, for whatever insane reason, didn’t realize that it was offensive. Is there a single copy editor anywhere in America who’s that naive?

But it’s not cut and dried. I think Patterico’s too dismissive in waving this away as “political correctness gone amok” since, like Ace says, Lin’s race has been part of the “Linsanity” fascination since he first broke out. Any undrafted player coming off the bench to torch the Lakers for 38 points at the Garden would be a story, but if it’s a brainy Asian kid from Harvard, you’ve got a stereotype-shattering hook capable of driving demand through the roof. Media coverage of Lin’s race ranges from photos of silly signs spotted in the stands to serious pieces about reaction in China and Taiwan to the occasional lame racial joke tweeted by a sportswriter to criticism from other athletes that Lin is overhyped because he’s Asian. (Note to Floyd Mayweather: Yes, there are black players in the NBA capable of putting up stats like Lin has over the past three weeks. But not many.) Fans are so conscious of Lin’s race, in fact, that even though Federico’s headline went live at 2:30 a.m., it was yanked just 35 minutes later — rapid reaction for such a late hour. It’s certainly possible that Federico didn’t make the connection between Lin’s race and the phrase he used in the headline, but since he worked in the busiest news hive of American sports — which had devoted plenty of airtime to the many angles of Linsanity — he surely was aware at least that race was one of those angles. That’s why Ace is skeptical, and why I’m a little hesitant even though I think Federico probably meant no harm.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

That ESPN reporter should be Lindignant
SparkPlug on February 20, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Aw, com’n – he knows his remarks were Lincendiary.

whatcat on February 20, 2012 at 6:23 PM

It’s truly a black day for the NBA.

rogerb on February 20, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet?

Raquel Pinkbullet

?

Your comment was freaky, but if you live up to your nickname, you and I can talk.

Random on February 20, 2012 at 6:23 PM

His lawsuit against ESPN is going to be epic.

TexasDan on February 20, 2012 at 6:24 PM

All three of the top comments on this page need a rimshot.

hawkdriver on February 20, 2012 at 6:24 PM

I edit commercials so I don’t give him any slack. You have to make sure everything is ok. When I’m not sure, I ask.

tomas on February 20, 2012 at 6:25 PM

“Chink in armor.” Yes, I’ve heard the phrase, but it’s not all that common. My guess is that Federico thought he was being clever using it in this context, perhaps even had used the phrase before, and thought he’d have plausible deniability if he was accused of being racist later. I do think he was trying to be clever, though, and it backfired.

I don’t like that kind of slur. It’s one thing when Gingrich is called a racist for saying “too many people are on welfare” and it’s another thing to use derogatory terms like that.

It brings back memories of when Obama in 2008 while campaigning used the phrase “putting lipstick on a pig” right after Palin had become famous for the way she characterized herself as a “pitbull with lipstick.” Obama’s use then made me very angry, but what made me angrier was Obama and his team acting indignant about being accused of using it, pretending it was completely innocent because the term was “used often in politics.”

Burke on February 20, 2012 at 6:26 PM

If you have to filter your speech for innocent remarks that could be misinterpreted as racial, sexual, or otherwise offensive, you’ve already lost any sense of innocence and wonder about the world. To protect yourself, you have to think like those who would trap you. You have to become jaded yourself.

Paul-Cincy on February 20, 2012 at 6:27 PM

An example from a different era, but relevant… and ultimately without harmful intent, just as is likely the case here. How about we give people a little assumption of right and stop pouncing at every opportunity to decry racism as our default position?

We are all monkeys. Literally.

Technically we are “old world” monkeys. We are also apes because hominids form one of the branches of apes and apes are a sub-group of (old world) monkeys.

I’m sure this can be used as a racial slur, but the blondest, most blue-eyed model is every bit as much a monkey.

Random on February 20, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Mr. Federico may have egg on his face, but he’s no foo and hey, he’s still yung
:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on February 20, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Welcome to the standard the “tolerant” left has created. A single word ends a talented man’s career.

Grunt on February 20, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Wow Allah, that’s one of the most fair minded assessments of the importance of race to the Lin phenomenon I’ve seen. Bravo.

libfreeordie on February 20, 2012 at 6:31 PM

At least he didn’t say they didn’t have a chinaman’s chance.

tomas on February 20, 2012 at 6:31 PM

tomas on February 20, 2012 at 6:25 PM

So that would be the job of the editor then, yes? WELL TERMINATE THAT GUY TOO THEN.

Jeddite on February 20, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Mr. Federico may have egg on his face, but he’s no foo and hey, he’s still yung…
:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on February 20, 2012 at 6:29 PM

now that’s funny!

ted c on February 20, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet?

Raquel Pinkbullet

?

Random on February 20, 2012 at 6:23 PM

WTF?

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 20, 2012 at 6:31 PM

“Chink in armor.” Yes, I’ve heard the phrase, but it’s not all that common.

Yeah, but if he’s used it dozens of times, that belies your point. Also, it makes sense in context. Also, he’s someone who has to use clever phrases and headlines in his writing so he isn’t necessarily going to pick the commonest expression. He’s a writer.

What you say is possible, but I doubt that he was really hoping for a racial firestorm to descend on him.

Either he’s actually racist or it didn’t occur to him. Both are possible, but when we have a sample size of one friggin’ alleged slur over a long career with a multitude of articles written, including that exact phrase numerous times, I’ve got to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

Just have to.

Random on February 20, 2012 at 6:32 PM

ted c on February 20, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on February 20, 2012 at 6:33 PM

It’s a common phrase used to describe a weakness found in a seemingly impregnable defense. Perfect for Linn’s first loss as a starter. It actually speaks well for him that Linn’s race didn’t occur to him.

Curmudgeon on February 20, 2012 at 6:20 PM

It doesn’t apply to the loss at all. Defense had nothing to do with the Knicks losing that game. Despite scoring 26, Lin turned the ball over 9 times and had only 4 or 5 assists. ‘Turnovers kill Knicks chances’ would have been a 100% appropriate headline. Chink in the armor, in this instance, makes no sense at all, especially when referring to the guy who is, right now, the best and most valuable guy on the team. If Lin had never played and, say, Barron Davis scored 26 and had 9 turnovers and only 4 or 5 assists, using the term ‘Chink in the armor’ wouldn’t have made any sense at all either. It’s just bad writing.

joejm65 on February 20, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Why stop at firing? This is a leftist capital offense.

darwin on February 20, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Bring on the linch squad.

dont taze me bro on February 20, 2012 at 6:35 PM

WTF?

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 20, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Your comment, sans link no less, qualifies as pretty freaky:

O/T: Ed in standoff with police?
BREAKING NEWS: Sources say the heavily-armed gunman, a so-called “blogger,” has held SWAT teams at bay all afternoon. Speculation that police have uncovered human remains behind the home of Edward Dwayne Morrissey, and that he is in fact the notorious Skid Row Reaper, could not be immediately confirmed . .

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 20, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Is that supposed to be a joke? Because it isn’t funny.

Further, as far as “WTF” goes, check out your nickname.

Random on February 20, 2012 at 6:35 PM

This guys life and career have been destroyed because of liberal obsession with race.

darwin on February 20, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Not everyone who sees a Chinese man automatically thinks “chink”.

darwin on February 20, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Unless you are a liberal.

unclesmrgol on February 20, 2012 at 6:36 PM

I think Mr. Federico should get some credit for trying to wok it back.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on February 20, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Okay – of all the bad puns in this thread – I got a good chuckle out of this one. A chortle, even.

CycloneCDB on February 20, 2012 at 6:36 PM

After reading this article, I don’t think he should have been fired for racism.

But he should have been fired for his stupidity. He should have known if he didn’t. Or at least he should have paid more attention to his job of writing headlines. Especially only a few days after the Whitlock controversy at the competing sports network.

redeye on February 20, 2012 at 6:37 PM

“Chink in armor.” Yes, I’ve heard the phrase, but it’s not all that common…

Burke on February 20, 2012 at 6:26 PM

I think if a poll were taken we’d find readers knew the phrase, and non-readers didn’t.

rogerb on February 20, 2012 at 6:37 PM

CycloneCDB on February 20, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on February 20, 2012 at 6:37 PM

libfreeordie on February 20, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Ah yes, the importance of race, so important, so very important. It is the altar upon which we have just sacrificed a sports writer for using a poorly chosen military metaphor, upon which we have elevated a no-talent community organizer to president, and upon which we destroy Republican presidential and judicial candidates…..among so many other things..ah yes, so important—now, all must genuflect at the altar now ***

ted c on February 20, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Chink in the armor, in this instance, makes no sense at all,

Yeah it does; it just means a weak point in a larger group. It’s a metaphor, not a literal fact.

Turnovers kill Knicks chances’ would have been a 100% appropriate headline.

Sure, I mean there’s nothing wrong with that, but it’s hardly a metaphor. People speak using metaphors much of the time and it shouldn’t be a big deal.

Where is the track record of his using racial cracks? Because apparently he has a track record of often using this exact metaphor about other players.

Random on February 20, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 20, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Allah; warm up that ban hammer hand. You warned this goof off last week.

ted c on February 20, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Time to fight. These liberals take a word or phrase and turn it sideways. For a short time last month Newt took the lead because he asserted himself and challenged the liberal media. This media will continue to distort the conservative message. We need someone with huevos. This “chink” thing is just another liberal deflection. Total sludge. Santorum is getting there and gaining, but he needs to Newtanize his attacks on whistle-tooth and the puke-pit media.

PaCadle on February 20, 2012 at 6:39 PM

It’s truly a black day for the NBA.

rogerb on February 20, 2012 at 6:23 PM

+1000

and you’re fired.

unclesmrgol on February 20, 2012 at 6:40 PM

After reading this article, I don’t think he should have been fired for racism.

But he should have been fired for his stupidity.

Maybe we’re just not all equally versed on the ins and outs of racism.

I grew up with one friend of Chinese ancestry so I heard the chink word a lot. But if not for him, I doubt I would have.

I’m not saying the author literally never heard this word used in a slurring fashion, but I’m guessing the times would have been few and far between. Meanwhile, he used it in a metaphorical sense routinely to denote a weak player costing his team points and scoring opportunities.

Random on February 20, 2012 at 6:42 PM

They should cut Federico a break. It’s not like he was caught Peking in the kid’s Lindow!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on February 20, 2012 at 6:45 PM

“They’ve apologized, and so from my end, I don’t care anymore,” Lin said. “You have to learn to forgive, and I don’t even think that was intentional.”

One, kudos to Jeremy Lin.

Two, he’s right. It probably wasn’t intentional, and Federico should be unfired pronto.

Random on February 20, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on February 20, 2012 at 6:45 PM

I see what you did there … you racist!

Random on February 20, 2012 at 6:48 PM

I think all white people should reclassify themselves as other and they we will all be able to worship as we wish.

When white people become the minority…will they be treated as such or is it, once the oppressor always the oppressor.

tomas on February 20, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Is that supposed to be a joke? Because it isn’t funny.

Further, as far as “WTF” goes, check out your nickname.

Random on February 20, 2012 at 6:35 PM

It was my mistake that I forgot to insert the link.

My screen last name Pinkbullet I already explained is inspired by my husband giving me pink colored bullets to try and convince me to go to the gun range with him to learn how to defend myself with a gun.

Here is what they look like: http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/12/ares-color-coated-cast-bullets-from-slovakia/

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 20, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Yellow journalism at its worst.

Jaibones on February 20, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Yeah, but if he’s used it dozens of times, that belies your point.

Random on February 20, 2012 at 6:32 PM

I agree.

Burke on February 20, 2012 at 6:49 PM

These racism cries have grown quite stale. Everyday someone else has been branded a racist, and I don’t ever believe any of these charges anymore. It’s gonna take a lot more proof before I’d even consider this guy meant any harm.

lynncgb on February 20, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Random on February 20, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Impossible. Unfiring him would unleash the leftist hordes and their lawyers. They’ll Occupy ESPN for months and crap all over the place.

darwin on February 20, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Random on February 20, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Heh. You would know!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on February 20, 2012 at 6:51 PM

tomas on February 20, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Define white and define oppressor.

CW on February 20, 2012 at 6:51 PM

ESPN could be said to be acting niggardly toward Lin in their muted praise of him, and the firing of one of his admirers.

Now, am I going to get banned for using a racist word?

NOMOBO on February 20, 2012 at 6:52 PM

“Chink in armor.” Yes, I’ve heard the phrase, but it’s not all that common…

Burke on February 20, 2012 at 6:26 PM

I believe it to be a very common expression.

Jaibones on February 20, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 20, 2012 at 6:49 PM

you’d think that after what happened last week that you’d be a little bit more cautious about posting that crap here, particularly when unlinked.

ted c on February 20, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Not everyone who sees a Chinese man automatically thinks “chink”.

darwin on February 20, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Frankly, if I was in the habit of using this metaphor and it occurred to me that it fit a situation, even knowing that it can be used as a slur, I’d be tempted to use it anyway according to my normal usage on principle — otherwise, I would be treating Chinese Americans differently (and seriously, what harm fell to Lin: did he cry?).

It’s like the “spade is a spade” expression. It’s an old English expression and it refers to … the digging implement. Would I use that around a black person, including a personal friend? Sure, and I have, and it has never been a big deal.

I am pretty sure that I know some black people who eat crackers!

Eat them, mind you.

I’m so scared.

Random on February 20, 2012 at 6:54 PM

I believe it to be a very common expression.

Jaibones on February 20, 2012 at 6:52 PM

and I agree. Meant to infer a weakness.

ted c on February 20, 2012 at 6:54 PM

particularly when unLinked.

ted c on February 20, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Spirit of the thread. Sorry.

rogerb on February 20, 2012 at 6:56 PM

yeah, I’ve used the “call a spade a spade” before, many times. Learned it from my uncle back when it meant to tell it like it is, before the word spade had any racial connotations. Shouldn’t we be able to grandfather our metaphors into the present age?

ted c on February 20, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Ah. I had that thought in mind momentarily, but then I thought about all the pink bullets I’ve actually personally seen and/or used, and then a somewhat different image took a hold of me.

Random on February 20, 2012 at 6:57 PM

I’m shocked no one was fired for comparing him to Tebow.

tomas on February 20, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Spirit of the thread. Sorry.

rogerb on February 20, 2012 at 6:56 PM

shoulda caught that easy layup…

ted c on February 20, 2012 at 6:58 PM

So if a kid today says chink in the armor, without understanding that it’s a derogatory term – they’re racist?

Seriously doubt many people know that anymore. This is a different world today. People I’m around make sexist, homophobic and rude remarks but are intending as over the top sarcasm and/or HUMOR. It’s a way to relate to people. I’m gay and I do it. It’s apart of life. Political correctness rules can only exist in a laboratory. For instance, Oklahoma City Thunder guard James Harden has a very big bushy beard. I’ve nicked named him the terrorist. Do I hate all people with beards? Do I hate all black people? DO I really think he’s a terrorist? NOOOOOOOOOO lol

Again, in the real world we talk like this ALL THE TIME. It’s when the mainstream media tries to pick apart your phrase without mentioning the context and knowing someones motivation that the problem comes about. This guy lost his job and he’s probably not racist at all. The fact that he said CHINK IN THE ARMOR means he probably IS NOT RACIST because it did not even occur to him.

Now I’m going to watch the NBA tonight and I’m sure at some point I’ll comment on how few white guys there are. OH NO, I’M RACIST!

fatlibertarianinokc on February 20, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Wow, this incident really gives ESPN a “black eye”. (you have to reeeeeeeally enunciate “black eye” or else it sounds like “black guy” and that’s racist).

zhohlz on February 20, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Waiting for the Mormon-haters. C’mon, guys! It’s your cue!

What do you mean, it’s not classy to take potshots at Lin? It’s the same church that the evil Romney goes to!

Prufrock on February 20, 2012 at 12:45 PM

portlandon on February 20, 2012 at 7:01 PM

I could tell you an original joke I came up with years ago that you’d probably laugh at, but it would violate site policy. And yet … most people here would laugh at it, realizing it isn’t derogatory, it is humor.

Random on February 20, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Ron Jeremy should have been fired for saying, “…harder than Chinese arithmetic.”

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on February 20, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Not everyone who sees a Chinese man automatically thinks “chink”.

darwin on February 20, 2012 at 5:56 PM

In the 1970s when I was in high school (yeah), the Pekin High School (Peoria, IL) sports teams were known as the Pekin Chinks. I am not making this up.

Chu said Monday, “And if he was using it all those times, that is extremely sad. The word was used since the 1880s to demean Chinese Americans and to deprive them of rights, and it is used on playgrounds specifically to humiliate and to offend Asian Americans. So I don’t know where he’s been all this time.”

As for people who live tortured by a racist mindset, here we have a liberal Democrat (of course) of Asian descent who thinks that the very word “chink” refers only to Chinese people as a racial slur. She is unaware that it is an actual word in the English language which has nothing to do with race, or Asians, or slurs.

She is, of course, an idiot liberal race-victim.

Jaibones on February 20, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Waiting for the Mormon-haters. C’mon, guys! It’s your cue!

I oppose Mormonism (and I’m an ex-Mormon, but then I’m an ex-everything. :P)

How is this remotely relevant to this story?

Dude, chill. Pull up a chair and come up with a good Chinese joke or something.

Random on February 20, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on February 20, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Ha ha! Did he say that?

I can’t decide if Ron Jeremy is truly great or truly the opposite, but at least you gotta say he’s somethin’.

Random on February 20, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Watching the Knicks scramble after the loose ball last night was like watching a Chinese fire drill

philw1776 on February 20, 2012 at 7:07 PM

There’s no way that headline was not an intentional pun playing off Lin’s race. They write them like that all the time, playing off the team’s name or a certain player on them. Apparently the dude was dumb enough to think he’d get away with it.

changer1701 on February 20, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Admit it…you thought I was kidding.

Jaibones on February 20, 2012 at 7:07 PM

So if a kid today says chink in the armor…

The really important takeaway lesson from this is that no kid educated today should understand enough history to be able to decipher the literal meaning of this phrase. Because it’s racist.

Random on February 20, 2012 at 7:09 PM

philw1776 on February 20, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Oooh. Good ‘un!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on February 20, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Admit it…you thought I was kidding.

Jaibones on February 20, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Nah, I believed you. Never doubted it.

Random on February 20, 2012 at 7:09 PM

changer1701 on February 20, 2012 at 7:07 PM

So us one other racist thing this guy has written.

Just one.

Random on February 20, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Speaking of Chinese turnovers…….

zhohlz on February 20, 2012 at 7:11 PM

and I agree. Meant to infer a weakness.

ted c on February 20, 2012 at 6:54 PM

For those who don’t get it, I assert that if the NY Times crossword had this clue “_____ in the armor”, 99% of their devotees would have gotten it right.

Jaibones on February 20, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Morton Downey Jr. was fired from a Sacramento, CA radio station in 1984 for telling a version of the following joke found offensive by a local politician of Asian descent:

An Italian, a Scotsman, and a Chinese fellow were hired at a construction site. The foreman pointed out a huge pile of sand and told the Italian guy, “You’re in charge of sweeping.” To the Scotsman he said, “You’re in charge of shoveling.” And to the Chinese guy, “You’re in charge of supplies.”
He then said, “Now, I have to leave for a little while. I expect you guys to make a dent in that there pile.”
The foreman went away for a of couple hours, and, when he returned, the pile of sand was untouched. He asked the Italian, “Why didn’t you sweep any of it?” The Italian replied, “I no hava no broom. You said to the Chinese fella that he a wasa in a charge of supplies, but he hasa disappeared and I no coulda finda him nowhere.” Then the foreman turned to the Scotsman and said, “And you, I thought I told you to shovel this pile.”
The Scotsman replied, “Aye, ye did lad, boot ah couldnay get meself a shoovel! Ye left th’ Chinese gadgie in chairge of supplies, boot ah couldnay fin’ him either.” The foreman was really angry by now and stormed off toward the pile of sand to look for the Chinese guy.

Just then, the Chinese guy jumped out from behind the pile of sand and yelled…

“SUPPLIES!!

Guess who replaced Downey as a in this local slot and in so doing began the most storied career in talk radio? Rush Limbaugh.

Mason on February 20, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Ha ha! Did he say that?…

Random on February 20, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Dating myself, but I remember hearing it for the first time in a late-70′s Tom Waits song.

rogerb on February 20, 2012 at 7:12 PM

A few years ago, 6 hunters were shot and killed 1/2 mile north of me after they called a Hmong hunter “g**k”. Sometimes words can hurt enough to drive someone over the edge, no matter how wrongly.

JimboHoffa on February 20, 2012 at 6:03 PM

If the use of that word caused him to go “over the edge”, I just wonder what he was like prior to the use of that word.

Conservative4Ever on February 20, 2012 at 7:12 PM

What a liar! Even the kids in Jr High knew it was a snide remark.

lonestar1 on February 20, 2012 at 7:12 PM

SNL did a rip on this Saturday night, which was really quite shocking as it attacked all the PC around this. Two black guys acting like sports announcers making a string of snide racist remarks about Lin, and then getting all huffy when the white announcer made totally innocuous remarks in which the black guys saw racism. Of course, the white guy was immediately fired.

So out of character for SNL.

slickwillie2001 on February 20, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Saw it yesterday on a sports blog I follow. Hilarious!
Here it is-

redridinghood on February 20, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Jaibones on February 20, 2012 at 7:11 PM

That is an excellent post.

rogerb on February 20, 2012 at 7:14 PM

If a ‘dunk’ were called a ‘chunk’, would Lin be crowned ChunKing?

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on February 20, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Yeah, very good point.

Random on February 20, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Just a silly overblown story IMO. Chink in the armor is a colloquialism, and a common one at that. Next thing you know people will be offended that the Oakland-Alameda Coliseum is referred to as the Black Hole. Oh wait.

Too many folks get their panties in a twist over the smallest things.

Then again, maybe we should take offense that a guy with a 3.1 college GPA is being a called a “brainy Asian kid” in the article above.

dugan on February 20, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Random on February 20, 2012 at 7:09 PM

I’ll give you that.

Jaibones on February 20, 2012 at 7:16 PM

So us one other racist thing this guy has written.

Just one.

Random on February 20, 2012 at 7:11 PM

I don’t need to. Do you honestly believe that headline was just a coincidence?

changer1701 on February 20, 2012 at 7:16 PM

ted c on February 20, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Please spare me your self-righteous indignation.

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 20, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Here’s a headline for them to try.

Dark days for [team name]

The hatred in those few words stuns me.

Random on February 20, 2012 at 7:18 PM

“silver lining”?

That phrase is OK (even though my Chinese friend was named Slver, so maybe it shouldn’t be).

“white cloud”?

Get out of here, unegalitarian!

“blue skies ahead”

Offensive to certain lady Star Trek aliens that Kirk bedded? Insulting to blue-eyed Dutch folk?

Random on February 20, 2012 at 7:22 PM

ted c on February 20, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Time travelers from the future that come back to the 20th Century will have to check some kind of spreadsheet by year to know what to call black people and not get beat on.

slickwillie2001 on February 20, 2012 at 7:24 PM

You gotta be kidding! All this fuss over a “chink in the armor”? I’ve heard that phrase all my life to indicate the one weakness of a person or thing. It reminds me of the person some years ago who was attacked for using the word “niggardly”. Crack a book sometime, people!

jakev on February 20, 2012 at 7:24 PM

ZGMF_Freedom on February 20, 2012 at 7:24 PM

I don’t need to. Do you honestly believe that headline was just a coincidence?

changer1701 on February 20, 2012 at 7:16 PM

No, it wasn’t a “coincidence”. It was a phrase he used repeatedly in the past for situations such as this where one player’s performance was notably weak during a game.

You know who isn’t offended by it and who thinks it wasn’t intentional? Jeremy Lin.

Random on February 20, 2012 at 7:25 PM

ZGMF_Freedom on February 20, 2012 at 7:24 PM

I forgot about that one. Awesome.

Random on February 20, 2012 at 7:30 PM

You know who isn’t offended by it and who thinks it wasn’t intentional?

Random on February 20, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Smart people?

PXCharon on February 20, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I feel gyped by this headline!

Bogus.

profitsbeard on February 20, 2012 at 7:38 PM

slickwillie2001 on February 20, 2012 at 7:24 PM

As usual people just take ish too far. This is just residual annoyance that black people would have the audacity to say they’d like to have some control over how our racial group is referred to in media, law and schooling. If you would prefer to use “colored” or something, just do so. But don’t expect any black people to confuse you for someone who has respect for us.

I will say this though. I find “African-American” to be a really ridiculous term and I try and avoid it, though habits die hard. To me it says little of the experience of black people who immigrated from the Carribean, and if conflates recent African immigrants with the descendents of slaves. I prefer “black” because it encompasses all of those groups and it also can be used to apply to African descended people in other nations and continents.

But who am I kidding. White conservatives are always saying things like “why can’t we just move beyond race?” Fine, you first. When not a single white person raises an eyebrow at an interracial relationship then we’ll know that “race” no longer matters. When white people stop calling themselves “white” then we’ll know that race no longer matters. But whiteness is as big a part of white people’s identity as blackness is to black people. If you scoff then I ask honestly, if someone said to you “you’re black right?” wouldn’t the majority of white people respond with “no, that’s wrong, I’m white.” The very act of saying “that’s wrong” i.e. there’s a distinction between whiteness and blackness, a clear, bright line distinction, means that you’re invested in race.

libfreeordie on February 20, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I feel gyped by this headline!

How can you use such a dumb accidental slur like “chink” without your inner proofreader going: “Woah, knucklehead, better use another cliche entirely!”

Bogus.

profitsbeard on February 20, 2012 at 7:38 PM

ZGMF_Freedom on February 20, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Please spare me your self-righteous indignation.

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 20, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Ok, you’re spared, if you spare us your comments.
Deal?

ted c on February 20, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Hey Anthony, vote for any Democrats lately?

Anybody else in a position of writing a public piece?

You too can enjoy the wrath of the PC lunacy.

Speakup on February 20, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Admit it…you thought I was kidding.

Jaibones on February 20, 2012 at 7:07 PM

~~~~~~~~

Lol…I did! The team is now called the Dragons…I wonder if that will be thought of as unacceptable one day?

ellifint on February 20, 2012 at 7:45 PM

I had heard about this incident but the Hot Air version certainly put a new slant on it and…oops..umm…oh nevermind..I’m fired !!!

Hoof Hearted on February 20, 2012 at 7:47 PM

It’s just a word. I really don’t understand the level of racially related sensitivity our country has adopted. It’s not like the tone of his article is inflammatory or bigoted. He even likes the man.

We should get mad at people for being actually racist ,like Democrat policies to maintain racial oriented welfare programs that cause class enslavement or people voting for a president because of his skin color, not the use of a word that can’t even be proven to have been used to mean anything racial.

The dude had 9 turnovers among a relatively impressive stat line and he’s used the phrase before. The phrase “chink in the armor” works.

Kriggly on February 20, 2012 at 7:48 PM

libfreeordie on February 20, 2012 at 7:38 PM

No, the act of saying “that’s wrong” indicates that they’re simply wrong.

Who’s making the assumptions about investment in race here?

PXCharon on February 20, 2012 at 7:53 PM