Fired ESPN editor: I didn’t mean anything racist in my Jeremy Lin headline

posted at 5:45 pm on February 20, 2012 by Allahpundit

Nothing says “slow news day” like debating whether some random guy’s turn of phrase was or wasn’t secretly motivated by racism.

Actually, I take that back. Nothing says “slow news day” like one of those viral vids of a cop tasering a defenseless person. But since I don’t have one of those, this’ll have to do.

The ESPN editor fired Sunday for using “chink in the armor” in a headline about Knicks phenom Jeremy Lin said the racial slur never crossed his mind – and he was devastated when he realized his mistake.

“This had nothing to do with me being cute or punny,” Anthony Federico told the Daily News…

He said he has used the phrase “at least 100 times” in headlines over the years and thought nothing of it when he slapped it on the Lin story.

Federico called Lin one of his heroes – not just because he’s a big Knicks fan, but because he feels a kinship with a fellow “outspoken Christian.”

“My faith is my life,” he said. “I’d love to tell Jeremy what happened and explain that this was an honest mistake.”

Lin himself said he didn’t think it was intentional, and as I write this, 58 percent of readers who took the Daily News online poll at the link above agree. I lean towards thinking that too, just because if the racial connotation had occurred to Federico while he was writing the headline, it also would have occurred to him that it was career suicide to go ahead and publish it. The only other explanation is that he knew the word “chink” had some sort of racial association but, for whatever insane reason, didn’t realize that it was offensive. Is there a single copy editor anywhere in America who’s that naive?

But it’s not cut and dried. I think Patterico’s too dismissive in waving this away as “political correctness gone amok” since, like Ace says, Lin’s race has been part of the “Linsanity” fascination since he first broke out. Any undrafted player coming off the bench to torch the Lakers for 38 points at the Garden would be a story, but if it’s a brainy Asian kid from Harvard, you’ve got a stereotype-shattering hook capable of driving demand through the roof. Media coverage of Lin’s race ranges from photos of silly signs spotted in the stands to serious pieces about reaction in China and Taiwan to the occasional lame racial joke tweeted by a sportswriter to criticism from other athletes that Lin is overhyped because he’s Asian. (Note to Floyd Mayweather: Yes, there are black players in the NBA capable of putting up stats like Lin has over the past three weeks. But not many.) Fans are so conscious of Lin’s race, in fact, that even though Federico’s headline went live at 2:30 a.m., it was yanked just 35 minutes later — rapid reaction for such a late hour. It’s certainly possible that Federico didn’t make the connection between Lin’s race and the phrase he used in the headline, but since he worked in the busiest news hive of American sports — which had devoted plenty of airtime to the many angles of Linsanity — he surely was aware at least that race was one of those angles. That’s why Ace is skeptical, and why I’m a little hesitant even though I think Federico probably meant no harm.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

He said he has used the phrase “at least 100 times” in headlines over the years

So much for those creative writing classes.

philoquin on February 20, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Welcome to the club

cmsinaz on February 20, 2012 at 5:49 PM

People who don’t trade in racism every second of every day don’t consider it first and last in everything they do. Give the guy his freaking job back.

CycloneCDB on February 20, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Be more nig·gard·ly next time.

rogerb on February 20, 2012 at 5:49 PM

It was an obvious play on words and ESPN made the correct move in firing him. You don’t allow an employee to insult a group of your customers.

Dante on February 20, 2012 at 5:50 PM

It is just so stupid I don’t get how someone could do it on purpose.
Facepalm.

CW on February 20, 2012 at 5:51 PM

What if a black athlete who was not a starter had a headline of:

“Late arrival lifts team”

SouthernGent on February 20, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Send him to EO training, sensitivity training, Consideration of others training, reduce him in rank to newsboy…..ban him from HotAir….and all that other stuff.

ted c on February 20, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Howard Cosell once referred to an NFL player as running like a “little monkey” during a live broadcast. The player was African-American. Cosell took major heat for it, and later analysis showed that he had used that phrase multiple times before with regards to players who were not African-American.

An example from a different era, but relevant… and ultimately without harmful intent, just as is likely the case here. How about we give people a little assumption of right and stop pouncing at every opportunity to decry racism as our default position?

hungrymongo on February 20, 2012 at 5:53 PM

I’m not sure he should have been fired, but he certainly needed to be disciplined somehow if not for racism, then for stupidity

georgealbert on February 20, 2012 at 5:53 PM

that’s mighty white of him to step down…..

ted c on February 20, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Santorum is a Linderella story.

Ok that was lame.

SparkPlug on February 20, 2012 at 5:54 PM

I’m disappointed to find out he wasn’t trying to be funny. A clever joke is much appreciated in these uncertain times.

keep the change on February 20, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Just copy-pasta the comments from the headlines thread and there you go.

Unless this guy had been previously reprimanded for provacative writing/headlines, there doesnt seem to be much evidence to indicate that malevolence was at play here. But hey, I guess by terminating the guy, the Chinese equivalent of Al Sharpton wont be demanding that ESPN senior management appear on his radio program to grovel for forgiveness. SO CRISIS AVERTED!

Jeddite on February 20, 2012 at 5:55 PM

He said he has used the phrase “at least 100 times” in headlines over the years

But, dude, until now you never used it in conjunction with an Asian-American player.

Emperor Norton on February 20, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Lin should call ESPN and ask them to rehire the guy. This is ridiculous.

darwin on February 20, 2012 at 5:55 PM

He said he has used the phrase “at least 100 times” in headlines over the years

That’s called “going to the well one time too many”…

right2bright on February 20, 2012 at 5:56 PM

You have to give the writer the benefit of the doubt.

If you actually have a color-blind view of the world, where you see people for who they are and never think about race, you can get trapped in these situations. I know that the Asian angle was huge part of the Linsanity for some people, but it’s easy to see him as a phenom and cover him as a player without his race crossing your mind.

So if you want to encourage more color-blindedness in society, not more race-baiting and PC nonsense, then we all need to cut they writer some slack, and maybe even defend him.

Nessuno on February 20, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Not everyone who sees a Chinese man automatically thinks “chink”.

darwin on February 20, 2012 at 5:56 PM

I just hope no homosexuals ever have the position of tight end in the NFL.

philoquin on February 20, 2012 at 5:57 PM

That’s called “going to the well one time too many”…

right2bright on February 20, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Nice. Offend Jack and Jill why don’t you. You should resign immediately.

SparkPlug on February 20, 2012 at 5:57 PM

At least he didn’t question Lin’s sexual orient-ation.

whatcat on February 20, 2012 at 5:57 PM

I just hope no homosexuals ever have the position of tight end in the NFL.

philoquin on February 20, 2012 at 5:57 PM

How about wide receiver?

SparkPlug on February 20, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Screw ESPN. No way in hell the guy knew it was a slur. Just no way. He wrote a stupid headline, and the ESPN management compounded the stupidity by firing him. The editor’s excuse is he didn’t know it was a slur. What is ESPN management’s excuse?

Rational Thought on February 20, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Like I said in the headlines thread: Being offended has now taken the place of baseball as America’s favorite pastime.

It seems now everyone is competing to be the first to discover “hidden” phrases/words/sayings that that they can be outrageously outraged over.

Recent “discoveries”:
Black cloud, Food stamp president, welfare state, unemployed, “black umbrella” athlete president- racist code words/sayings

This was the goal of the Marxists.

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 20, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Can I say that, from this day forward, I mean no harm with any stupid comments that could be potentially misconstrued? I’ll type that email up and save it as a draft;

“Ed/Allah; dude, no really, I meant NO HARM

ted c on February 20, 2012 at 5:59 PM

I just hope no homosexuals ever have the position of tight end in the NFL.
philoquin on February 20, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Worse yet – wide receiver.

whatcat on February 20, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Not everyone who sees a Chinese man automatically thinks “chink”.

darwin on February 20, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Good point but I just don’t know how he would not know.

CW on February 20, 2012 at 5:59 PM

back in the day, a chink in the armor meant a weakness…..

ted c on February 20, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Most folks that’ve never been in the military simply do not get martial metaphors very well. Not that Frederico has ever been, but you get the drift.

ted c on February 20, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Rational Thought on February 20, 2012 at 5:58 PM

ESPN says his firing was entirely occidental.

whatcat on February 20, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Oh, I don’t know about that, Allahpundit. Anderson Cooper and I never get tired of folks getting ‘tazed‘.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on February 20, 2012 at 6:01 PM

I heard the audio and it definitely wasn’t intentional. Firing him is a gross over-reaction, as are the remarks of anyone who says otherwise.

Knott Buyinit on February 20, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Strange. If he really had a brain fart and apologized, why fire him? If he did it on purpose and then just acted contrite to get out of hot water, pretty stupid. Bigoted name calling is anyway. I don’t read any ESPN folks. Anybody venture an opinion what the truth is?

hawkdriver on February 20, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Good point but I just don’t know how he would not know.

CW on February 20, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Because he’s not absorbed in racial slang like the left thinks everyone is?

darwin on February 20, 2012 at 6:01 PM

chink A narrow opening, such as a crack or fissure.
tr.v. chinked, chink·ing, chinks
1. To make narrow openings in.
2. To fill narrow openings in.

ted c on February 20, 2012 at 6:01 PM

I’m sick of these people stirfrying up a controversy.

SparkPlug on February 20, 2012 at 6:02 PM

This is as close to an excuse as this guy gets, for all of the reasons AP lists. It is simply not believable that a New York media editor — immersed in political correctness his entire career, if not his entire life — comes up with “chink in the armor” for an Asian athlete for any other reason.

It is easy to believe that he meant no harm; it is impossible to believe his thought was free of Asian race reference. Sorry, dude. Impossible.

Forgivable? Sure.

Jaibones on February 20, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Ding ding ding Ted c @ 6:00

cmsinaz on February 20, 2012 at 6:02 PM

CycloneCDB on February 20, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Honest to gawd! Agreed!
Pretty soon no one will be able to talk to anyone, as you will be able to find something racist or sexist in every phrase.

KOOLAID2 on February 20, 2012 at 6:02 PM

back in the day, a chink in the armor meant a weakness…..

ted c on February 20, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Thank a teacher!

rogerb on February 20, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Maybe he should hire an editor?

aryeung on February 20, 2012 at 6:03 PM

hawkdriver on February 20, 2012 at 6:01 PM

if what AP is saying is true, sounds like they got a maelstrom response at an odd hour and they overcorrected by firing homeslice the fella.

ted c on February 20, 2012 at 6:03 PM

A few years ago, 6 hunters were shot and killed 1/2 mile north of me after they called a Hmong hunter “g**k”. Sometimes words can hurt enough to drive someone over the edge, no matter how wrongly.

JimboHoffa on February 20, 2012 at 6:03 PM

There is no reason to Lindict the man to making an unLintentional mistake.

SparkPlug on February 20, 2012 at 6:04 PM

back in the day, a chink in the armor meant a weakness…..

ted c on February 20, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Well, apparently in our brave new world you’re supposed to ignore the real meaning of the phrase and picture a Chinese man in armor.

That’s the new meaning … armored Chinese guy.

darwin on February 20, 2012 at 6:04 PM

for making an unLintentional mistake.

SparkPlug on February 20, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Thank a teacher!

rogerb on February 20, 2012 at 6:03 PM

I would if I had learned it from one….but all i got from her was “diversity training”

ted c on February 20, 2012 at 6:04 PM

New headline: ‘Anthony Federico tells WOP-er of a tale’

/no offense intended

dont taze me bro on February 20, 2012 at 6:05 PM

This whole Lincident is subject to one’s Linterpretation.

SparkPlug on February 20, 2012 at 6:05 PM

He said he has used the phrase “at least 100 times” in headlines over the years

So much for those creative writing classes.

philoquin on February 20, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Sport is war-like. Armor. Chink in the armor. Yeah, it’s a plenty hackneyed phrase (as is “hackneyed phrase”). But it fits. It makes more sense than “Look at that little monkey run”, that really hurt Howard Cosell’s career.

Paul-Cincy on February 20, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Missing something here: Don’t writers usually write the stories, and then have editors review them? In other words, where was the second set of eyes on this? Maybe it works differently for web stories …

TouchdownBuddha on February 20, 2012 at 6:06 PM

The ESPN reporter’s Lindividual rights were Linfringed upon.

SparkPlug on February 20, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Because he’s not absorbed in racial slang like the left thinks everyone is?

darwin on February 20, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Yeh I get your point. It would really suck if he lost his job over this if you are right.

CW on February 20, 2012 at 6:07 PM

ted c on February 20, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Thanks Ted.

hawkdriver on February 20, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Good point but I just don’t know how he would not know.

CW on February 20, 2012 at 5:59 PM

I was born and raised in Eastern Europe, and trust me, I’ve never heard of this before.

JPeterman on February 20, 2012 at 6:07 PM

SNL did a rip on this Saturday night, which was really quite shocking as it attacked all the PC around this. Two black guys acting like sports announcers making a string of snide racist remarks about Lin, and then getting all huffy when the white announcer made totally innocuous remarks in which the black guys saw racism. Of course, the white guy was immediately fired.

So out of character for SNL.

slickwillie2001 on February 20, 2012 at 6:07 PM

ted c on February 20, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Sorry. I meant it in a much smarmier (wait, doesn’t everyone know that?) way. Should’ve added a /, I suppose.

rogerb on February 20, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Come on, youre telling me that a writer who is in the word business didnt realize the word he was using could have a negative impact against the subject he was writing about?

I dont buy it.

Politricks on February 20, 2012 at 6:07 PM

ESPN employs notorious race hustlers like Jamele Hill, Stephen A. Smith, Kevin Blackistone, Wilbon (from PTI), and far left zealots: Olberdouche (former), Kenny Mayne, Adam Schefter, and too many more to list.

ESPN has turned in to a LEFTIST political activism arm masked as a “sports channel.”

They pushed gay marriage in NY, pushed sports boycotts on AZ over SB1070, smeared Rush Limbaugh with false quotes when he joined in a group to buy the RAMS, pushed for the firing of a woman’s coach because she “didn’t recruit homosexuals,” and many more.

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 20, 2012 at 6:07 PM

The CEOs who fired him need to read the declaration of Lindependence and focus on our Linalienable rights.

SparkPlug on February 20, 2012 at 6:08 PM

The people I grew up around never used racial or ethnic slurs. If I’d seen this headline, it would never have occurred to me that it would be considered a slur.

Connie on February 20, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Nah, sorry, pal, there’s been too much “Linsanity” going around for that to be inadvertent.

He was trying to be cute and embarrassed his employer. Don’t let the screen door hit ya on the way out, Bozo.

Adjoran on February 20, 2012 at 6:10 PM

This is just another example of us Linching ever closer to being at the mercy of the thought police.

SparkPlug on February 20, 2012 at 6:10 PM

This is just another example of us Linching

Now you just seriously offended another demographic.

hungrymongo on February 20, 2012 at 6:11 PM

I believe that one day Jeremy will be Linshrined in the NBA hall of fame.

SparkPlug on February 20, 2012 at 6:11 PM

I dont buy it.

Politricks on February 20, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Who wants to filter every word they write through the eyes of some race-baiting fool who may twist it to hurt you by portraying you as a racist. That’s no way to live.

Paul-Cincy on February 20, 2012 at 6:11 PM

rogerb on February 20, 2012 at 6:07 PM

your lack of a sarc tag demonstrates your insensitivity to the issue at hand…3 weeks of Linsensitivity training for you!!

ted c on February 20, 2012 at 6:11 PM

The writer says he used the phrase a lot. So can’t someone verify that?

Mister Mets on February 20, 2012 at 6:12 PM

That reporter needs to go to Linsensitivity training.

SparkPlug on February 20, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Connie on February 20, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Doesn’t matter. You should have known it. You’re fired.

- Your friends at ESPN

darwin on February 20, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Paul-Cincy on February 20, 2012 at 6:11 PM

heh!!!! you do know you’re speaking through a filter and the trolls do do that very thing you just said right there don’t you.

ted c on February 20, 2012 at 6:13 PM

I think the guy wrote the headline as an inside joke, went to the bathroom, and returned to find out that someone hit the ‘post’ button. I don’t look for racism around every corner, but there’s no way that this guy didn’t know that the headline wasn’t offensive. I think that he never intended for it to actually appear on the website. But he knew it was wrong when wrote it. See ya…

joejm65 on February 20, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Find a dictionary, there is nothing racist about “chink in his armor.”

Federico should file a lawsuit against ESPN for libel and unlawful termination.

RJL on February 20, 2012 at 6:13 PM

It took me a second when I saw the screen shot to figure out the offense…happily, i haven’t heard Asians being referred to as “chinks” since I was a kid in the late 60s early 70s…anyone who works with words would surely have to know this is a slur, right? And yet I keep thinking, as Allah said, that surely the guy would have to know that using this pun would have to be the kiss of death for his career. My first thought, given the time the headline appeared, was he was just pushing the pun envelope, thinking he’d be clever and not many people would see it…but who knows?

ellifint on February 20, 2012 at 6:14 PM

If the guy had a history of making racial remarks then I might buy the idea that this was intentional or if the article was a nasty attack, but just out of the blue? Nope.

sharrukin on February 20, 2012 at 6:15 PM

The writer says he used the phrase a lot. So can’t someone verify that?

Mister Mets on February 20, 2012 at 6:12 PM

I’m sure someone is Linvestigating it.

SparkPlug on February 20, 2012 at 6:15 PM

I think Mr. Federico should get some credit for trying to wok it back.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on February 20, 2012 at 6:15 PM

I dont buy it.

Politricks on February 20, 2012 at 6:07 PM

“the word business” …?

Dude’s a sports writer. A sports writer – not exactly high on the cultural awareness meter.

Jeddite on February 20, 2012 at 6:15 PM

the posting of this headline reminds me of this Bridgestone commercial from the 2011 SuperBowl….

ted c on February 20, 2012 at 6:16 PM

He should have known he was heading down a slippery slope. Er, I mean…

WhatSlushfund on February 20, 2012 at 6:16 PM

3 weeks of Linsensitivity training for you!!

ted c on February 20, 2012 at 6:11 PM

I’m lincensed at my own failings and will take a voluntary and long libfreeordie-esque break from hotair as penance.

rogerb on February 20, 2012 at 6:16 PM

do you see where we’re at here??? Racism is how someone defines it—thank Al Sharpton for that. There is no way to decipher it through someone’s actions when it is a commonly used metaphor and can get misconstrued into something else.

ted c on February 20, 2012 at 6:17 PM

I go with brain fart. Not a big deal.

Apology but should be no firing.

Random on February 20, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Okay I’m back.

rogerb on February 20, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Let’s call a spade a spade … it’s a common expression and there’s no reason the word “chink” should be totally and completely off limits for use around Asian people.

I think I’m going to have a cracker. Wait!…

Random on February 20, 2012 at 6:20 PM

That ESPN reporter should be Lindignant

SparkPlug on February 20, 2012 at 6:20 PM

I spent 20 years writing headlines on a copy desk. I have no trouble at all believing this guy when he says the racial aspect of this never crossed his mind.
It’s a common phrase used to describe a weakness found in a seemingly impregnable defense. Perfect for Linn’s first loss as a starter. It actually speaks well for him that Linn’s race didn’t occur to him.
It doesn’t speak very well for ESPN’s editorial procedures that the headline went live without someone else seeing it first. That should never happen. I’ve seen plenty of embarrassing headlines caught by another pair of eyes. And a few more that got through.
Noway they should have fired the guy for this.

Curmudgeon on February 20, 2012 at 6:20 PM

This is proper use

ndeed, Silva’s time on “Undercover Boss” was a true chance to see the chinks in the armor of the fast food empire with 20,000 employees in more than 800 restaurants. He used the reveal to champion the trio of workers, but also make use of the insights he gleaned. Johanna, who ran circles around him in Mobile, had also told him about a lack of incentives for crew members. She found this particularly frustrating given the rewards program for managers, who wouldn’t be anything were it not for their workers, she noted. And so Silva announced a new program for all team members. And as for Johanna, he told her he will be personally taking her on as his protege as part of a new training program. She’s also to be promoted, which will come with a 25 percent raise. And to boot, a $20,000 reward, which elicits a singular heartwarming shriek.

tomas on February 20, 2012 at 6:21 PM

ted c on February 20, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Yeah. I know. We all know. The thing is, I don’t like it. It’s like having to screen what you say for sexual innuendo because the popular culture has become so filthy. Fifty years ago, BJ was a common nickname and term of endearment.

Paul-Cincy on February 20, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Assuming this is correct, he got fired for treating people of different races the same.

Sounds about right… this is the Age of Obama, after all, where any criticism of any policy or statement of the First Black President® is raaaaacist.

malclave on February 20, 2012 at 6:21 PM

If I was Jeremy Lin, I’d be offended and demand the guy get his job back.

Random on February 20, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Find a dictionary, there is nothing racist about “chink in his armor.”

Federico should file a lawsuit against ESPN for libel and unlawful termination.

RJL on February 20, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Technically, there’s nothing racist in ‘the orchestra is on the other side of campus’. Yet, that’s one of the taunts that Lin used to hear when he played road games in college. Now, why would opposing fans say something like that if Lin wasn’t in the orchestra? Three guesses, first two don’t count….

joejm65 on February 20, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Exactly.

Random on February 20, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Just don’t say the offense I run is too familiar or you are getting sued

tomas on February 20, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Fifty years ago, BJ was a common nickname and term of endearment.

Paul-Cincy on February 20, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Then Billy Jeff Clinton came along and ruined it for everyone.

malclave on February 20, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Okay I’m back.

rogerb on February 20, 2012 at 6:19 PM

good.

ted c on February 20, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Why stop at firing? This is a leftist capital offense.

darwin on February 20, 2012 at 6:22 PM