Quotes of the day

posted at 10:00 pm on February 19, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

“There is no anti-woman move whatsoever,” the Republican congresswoman from Minnesota said on CNN’s “State of the Union.” “The Republican Party is extremely pro-woman.”

If anything is anti-women, Bachmann suggested, it’s President Barack Obama’s health care policies, which she described as his “Achilles’ heel” during the 2012 presidential election.

“It is wildly unpopular … his signature piece of legislation,” Bachmann said, citing what she said would be high costs that would hurt Americans.

***

“The 3-D full-court demonstration is that now ‘Obamacare’ means that one individual, the president of the United States, has unprecedented breathtaking authority to make a decision about whatever health care service, whatever health care product, if he wants it offered or not offered,” Bachmann told CNN Chief Political Correspondent Candy Crowley.

Republican Gov. Mitch Daniels of Indiana, who flirted with a presidential bid last year, appeared on the same program Sunday and agreed the birth control issue would not hurt the Republican Party in the fall, as long as it was approached in the right manner.

“These are the questions that I think Republicans can unite on. They do have to be framed, as they really are, as the defense of individual freedom against the right now limitless power of the state,” Daniels said.

***

“Gatto! To the parapets!”

“The war on women in America has been upgraded to holy war. Call it the va-jihad.

“Republican candidates are racing to out-”pro-life” one another while bleating for war on Iran. Long passed is the conversation about legal abortion. Now the front-runner, Rick Santorum, has doubled down on birth control. He says it’s harmful to our society.”

***

The rights of women are under systematic assault — in Virginia, in states around the country that have enacted similar draconian laws, and in the hysterical Republican response to the suggestion that women’s contraceptive care should be included in their health insurance coverage. Simply put, the Republican Party has declared war on women. If Virginia can enact laws that invade a woman’s vagina in this fashion, then there is no limit to the indignity that can be directed at “unworthy” or “undeserving” people — the category that Virginia Republicans obviously consider women who seek abortions to occupy. If we allow this attack to go unchallenged, then who will be next?

The Republican war on women stops here, and it stops now.

***

The hip new thing in Democrat circles these days seems to be demagoguing women; spewing nonsense such as claiming that the GOP has a “war on women.” It appears everywhere, from For The Women sites to former Speaker Pelosi. Man, I love saying ‘former Speaker Pelosi’ — I’m sure that means I’m waging a war on women, too. Speaker Pelosi went so far as to say that this “war” means that Republicans are “voting to say that women can die on the floor.” No, really. She said that. With a straight face! Although, I guess that’s the only kind of face she’s capable of making.

The reasoning? Because, abortion. You see, to the Left the nebulous “women’s rights” is somehow distinct from, you know, individual rights. We super scary women are to remain separate from everyone else. Never mind that every policy that President Obama and his administration has put into place is harmful to all, including women.

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

lynncgb on February 20, 2012 at 8:48 AM

HANG IN THERE NEWT!

Night Owl on February 20, 2012 at 8:50 AM

I wish I had your enthusiasm :) unfortunately I’ve read all about Rick’s union support and earmark fun :(

DHChron on February 20, 2012 at 8:34 AM

And exactly how influential was Santorum on behalf of conservatism during his tenure in Congress? I don’t recall many falling under the spell of his leadership.

onlineanalyst on February 20, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Like I said, you already have made up your mind, so it doesn’t matter what I think, or what the facts are.

Maybe this will help…but I doubt it.

Paul is wrong.

Jasper61 on February 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM

One sees only what they want to see…

right2bright on February 20, 2012 at 8:52 AM

It’s too bad I’m going to have to give up my cherished Milky Way Midnight bars as my way of protesting Mars for going along with her.

Flora Duh on February 20, 2012 at 6:13 AM

Thank God I will still be able to get my giant Nestle Crunch. I bet those ones that are like 4 X 8″ aren’t part of it!

Night Owl on February 20, 2012 at 8:54 AM

lynncgb on February 20, 2012 at 8:48 AM

there’s a reason for that – Santy sucks.

The republicans have gained ground because libertarians have joined the cause. This guy openly hates libertarians…that’s how you win.

DHChron on February 20, 2012 at 8:54 AM

PA voter here, and the attitude towards Santorum in this state is less than favorable.

Meanwhile, MI has an open primary, where the Dems are playing their own version of Operation Chaos to push Santorum. What a joke. And Goldilocks Romney finds that his “home state’s” trees are the right size.

onlineanalyst on February 20, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Oh, and good morning everyone.

Night Owl on February 20, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Mornin’ Lil’ Owl, Canopfer, JonnyB, R2B, Flora, et al.

There’s no donuts this morning but I found some bagels and the coffee’s still warm.

Fallon on February 20, 2012 at 8:57 AM

DHChron on February 20, 2012 at 8:54 AM

I don’t know if you saw, but it seems there is something going on betweeen Paul and Romney. There is talk of him taking all his delegates and passing them on to Romney to push him over the top. Making a deal for Rand Paul in some way.

Night Owl on February 20, 2012 at 8:58 AM

I’m in that boat too. Santorum as the nominee sends me into a tailspin, but I am trying to be more open-minded about it. I keep reading all the comments of his supporters and why they back him, but it’s just not working for me.

lynncgb on February 20, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Once you actually look at his record from unbiased reports (like the link that I copied above), and you actually see his record, and realize that an anti-Rick website came up with 100 “bad” votes, that’s all they came up with, sounds like a lot? They made a big deal out of it.
Well he voted over 8,000, so that gave him a 98.75% “good” voting record, and you know some of those votes were tied to other things, like the HSA accounts that he fought for, he had to vote on a bill that had other mandates he didn’t like, but, the HSA was more important.
Now, people can say “he voted for mandates”, and they are right, it’s just not “the rest of the story”…
Meanwhile, he received an A grade from the Taxpayers Union, for conservativeness…for 12 years, in Penn. of all states.

My advice, look at the record, and don’t listen to the haters…all three candidates, Mitt, Rick, Newt, all have great records, Newt and Rick by far the most extensive (and the most potential to find “errors”), but all three are great candidates.
We should all be celebrating what each of our candidates bring to the party, not pick at the bones and finding minor incidents to focus on.

right2bright on February 20, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Fallon on February 20, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Thanks! :-)

JonBGood on February 20, 2012 at 9:00 AM

DHChron on February 20, 2012 at 8:54 AM

This is what I mean about having others form your opinion…on each of these “attacks” he fully explains it’s the extreme elements within the libertarian/Tea Party, the libertines (yes, he identifies them as such), are what he is against…and most conservative feel the same, libertines are not part of the Republican agenda.

right2bright on February 20, 2012 at 9:01 AM

onlineanalyst on February 20, 2012 at 8:56 AM

I’m in PA too. North of Pittsburgh. Where are you? I haven’t been watching the local news, but Santorum keeps showing up on my home page through the cable company, but I haven’t read the stories. The only one I saw on TV was a story about how the unions aren’t supporting him.

Night Owl on February 20, 2012 at 9:01 AM

right2bright on February 20, 2012 at 8:59 AM

dayum! this is what we need!

ABO folks…ABO

DHChron on February 20, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Mornin’ Lil’ Owl, Canopfer, JonnyB, R2B, Flora, et al.

Fallon on February 20, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Good Morning! I’ll just have some coffee, please!

Night Owl on February 20, 2012 at 9:03 AM

I’m off. I hope everyone has a good day! :-)

JonBGood on February 20, 2012 at 9:08 AM

right2bright’s my new favorite bright and stuff

DHChron on February 20, 2012 at 9:09 AM

lates Johnny B good

DHChron on February 20, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Night Owl on February 20, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Politics makes strange bedfellows. I wonder how Paul supporters feel about this. To me, it appears RP has sold them out.

Fallon on February 20, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Fallon on February 20, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Ron Paul…a career politician who hates the government.

DHChron on February 20, 2012 at 9:13 AM

dayum! this is what we need!

ABO folks…ABO

DHChron on February 20, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Abo: Used as a disparaging term for an Australian Aborigine.

The ABO blood group system is the most important blood type system

The American Board of Ophthalmology (ABO)

right2bright on February 20, 2012 at 9:14 AM

The American Board of Ophthalmology (ABO)

hahahahahaha…you know what I mean :)

DHChron on February 20, 2012 at 9:15 AM

I agree with you. And I think the extreme narrative they are pumping up against Santorum shows that they have nothing substantial they can throw at him, personally or politically.

Elisa on February 19, 2012 at 11:11 PM

They have very little. And the leftist line of attack, vs the country club manicured 1%-ers, is cut to pieces by Santorum’s working man & Joe the Plumber appeal. Grandson of a coal miner, etc etc, with a Made in the USA Plan that is a winner for the election (and for natl security, we need to maintain manufacturing capabilities).
And see Rick’s outstanding performance on today’s Face the Nation: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-3460_162-57381041/santorum-stands-by-prenatal-screening-opposition/
Again: raise the buzz for a Money Bomb for Santorum. $20 million will be raised in 1 day. A record.

anotherJoe on February 20, 2012 at 12:26 AM

I saw that interview. Rick handled himself superbly against a RIDICULOUS line of questioning and attitude by the interviewer.

Elisa on February 20, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Good night all. Who in the heII is gonna clean this place up before morning? Dire?

Bmore on February 20, 2012 at 2:25 AM

The morning crew does a good job of cleaning up the place..:)

Dire Straits on February 20, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Yeah, and we’re getting darn tired of it!

:-)

Flora Duh on February 20, 2012 at 5:31 AM

LOL! ; )

Bmore on February 20, 2012 at 9:27 AM

mittens is the second worst Romney behind Sir Gilliad Swordsman, who challenged me to a duel and stabbed me through the abdomen. Luckily I stabbed his eyeball.

down with mittens

DHChron on February 20, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Fallon on February 20, 2012 at 9:11 AM

I agree, to both. I guess Paul had no intention of trying to win this, but to use his delegates to get something for his son. I don’t think his son needs this type of help, and I will probably think less of him if this is what happens.

Night Owl on February 20, 2012 at 9:37 AM

LOL! ; )

Bmore on February 20, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Did you guys trash the place last night?

Night Owl on February 20, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Did you guys trash the place last night?

Night Owl on February 20, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Just a little. Not quite frat party trashed, but a little bit worse then a Tupperware party.

Bmore on February 20, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Bmore on February 20, 2012 at 9:41 AM

shame bmore…shame

DHChron on February 20, 2012 at 9:46 AM

shame bmore…shame

DHChron on February 20, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Or pride, you know, perception/reality.

Bmore on February 20, 2012 at 9:50 AM

hmmmmmmmmmm…someone finally responded…I don’t know what to do with myself

DHChron on February 20, 2012 at 9:52 AM

If I may say so, Michele Bachmann really should avoid saying even “Republicans are pro-woman” to a reporter. They’re going to quote whatever they can to make the Republicans the story, so she should not provide even that small sound bite.

Instead, what Republicans need to be saying in interviews with the press is that the attacks clearly indicate how hysterical and dishonest Progressives have become, how much they fear the people of the United States, and how what they’re saying is completely at odds with the facts.

War is being waged. Wake up, and wage it back.

philwynk on February 20, 2012 at 9:57 AM

War is being waged. Wake up, and wage it back.

philwynk on February 20, 2012 at 9:57 AM

nah…I think civility is the answer

DHChron on February 20, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Elisa on February 20, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Bob Schieffer is a partisan horror, and does not deserve to be called a reporter.

philwynk on February 20, 2012 at 10:06 AM

nah…I think civility is the answer

DHChron on February 20, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Civility is how we got here. We were polite and even-handed while the Progressives were weaseling their way into newsrooms and university faculties and hiring nothing but their ideological clones. We compromised politely over every social issue, and Progressives thanked us and redoubled their irrational demonstrations, resulting in a ratcheting effect where every social change became inviolable but every standard of decency remained up for negotiation.

Now the Progressives are deliberately and specifically targeting freedom of religion, freedom of speech, freedom of commerce, and private property, and raising their voices to make mere adherence to the Constitution sound extreme. If we lose the battle outright we become Stalin’s Soviet Union; if we compromise at this juncture, we become at best Sweden, or possibly Romania.

The enemy is at the gate, and those who counsel negotiation are agents of the enemy. Categorize yourself.

philwynk on February 20, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Night Owl on February 20, 2012 at 9:01 AM

East of the ‘Burgh.

onlineanalyst on February 20, 2012 at 10:22 AM

philwynk on February 20, 2012 at 10:14 AM

hehehehehe…I was just kidding but it seems you had something to get off your chest. nice going

DHChron on February 20, 2012 at 10:23 AM

DHChron on February 20, 2012 at 9:52 AM

I have always tried to respond to anyone who says anything to me. I swear I thought I had with you before. My apologies if I missed one or two. I try hard not to miss comments, but there are so many, I sure even with diligence do miss some.

Bmore on February 20, 2012 at 11:18 AM

I =I’m sure even with diligence I do miss some.

Bmore on February 20, 2012 at 11:19 AM

it’s all good b to the more

next time I’ll come with some classical or opera…

DHChron on February 20, 2012 at 2:41 PM