Quotes of the day

posted at 10:15 pm on February 18, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

“The ombudsman will be charged with increasing awareness of the law regarding civil unions, will provide a clear point of contact for those who have questions or concerns and will be required to report any evidence of the law being violated. In this way, we can ensure equal treatment under the law,” Christie said in a statement.

He asked lawmakers to quit pursuing gay marriage legislation and instead create an ombudsman for civil unions of same-sex couples who would “carry on New Jersey’s strong tradition of tolerance and fairness.”

***

“I’ve been meaning to post on this. Last weekend, at the Los Angeles Times, Harvard Professor Michael Klarman argued that gay marriage is inevitable in the United States. Klarman makes two points: (1) that as more and more people come to know someone who is gay they are reluctant to deprive them of “rights” such as same-sex marriage and (2) that younger Americans are more tolerant of gay marriage and thus the younger demographic cohort will compose a larger, decisive share of the electorate as older, more conservative voters pass from the political scene.”

But one of the things that bothers me even about promoting state-level votes to allow gay marriage is that the radical left gay rights lobby has worked aggressively and viciously to demonize and discredit the democratic process when it comes to same-sex rights. A small but extremely vocal minority has essential flipped James Madison’s fear of tyranny of the majority on its head: now an in-your-face totalitarian gay militia will attack, stalk, berate, threaten, and destroy opponents of same-sex marriage.

***

Christie conditionally vetoed the bill six hours after it reached his desk, a day after the state Assembly gave the final legislative approval that he said he would not support.

“I have been just as adamant that same-sex couples in a civil union deserve the very same rights and benefits enjoyed by married couples — as well as the strict enforcement of those rights and benefits,” Christie said in a prepared statement.

“Discrimination should not be tolerated and any complaint alleging a violation of a citizen’s right should be investigated and, if appropriate, remedied.”

***

“It’s unfortunate that the governor would let his own personal ideology infringe on the rights of thousands of New Jerseyans,” said Reed Gusciora, one of two openly gay New Jersey lawmakers and a sponsor of the bill. “For all those who oppose marriage equality, their lives would have been completely unchanged by this bill, but for same-sex couples, their lives would have been radically transformed. Unfortunately, the governor couldn’t see past his own personal ambitions to honor this truth.”

Senate Democratic leaders were more blunt in their criticism of the governor.

“He had a chance to do the right thing, and failed miserably,” Senate President Steve Sweeney said.

“Don’t be fooled by the governor’s call for a public referendum or his idea of an ombudsman for civil unions — it is nothing more than a political smoke screen designed to cover the tracks of those retreating from their leadership and lawmaking responsibilities,” Senate Majority Leader Loretta Weinberg said.

***

Could Chris Christie be wavering?

“I wish I could say the circus was over. But it’s just intermission. The proponents of unnatural marriage vow to keep on fighting. And Christie’s conditional veto leaves them a foot in the door.”

“But really, in the meantime can we please try to address some issues which actually matter? Folks who don’t have a job and can’t feed their families aren’t particularly worried about the tribulations of Adam and Steve. ”

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

One gay guy says to another at the bar: “Can I push in that stool for you.”

I can’t believe some people think this is funny.

SparkPlug on February 18, 2012 at 10:28 PM

How do you create more seating in a gay bar? Turn the stools upside down.

SouthernGent on February 18, 2012 at 11:51 PM

AYNBLAND on February 18, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Were you born full of crap or is it a skill you have worked to acquire?

I listen to rush everyday (retired). I don’t need him to tell me how to think—my wife can attest to discussions of subject matter before Rush even comments. He is just more well spoken than me and many others. He cares very much for this country—a little more so than Rove and Sununu.

arnold ziffel on February 18, 2012 at 11:52 PM

But I consider these to be fiscal conservative issues

Violina23 on February 18, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Well, whatever you want to call them they eat up every cent of tax revenue. In reality you can’t be socially liberal and be fiscally conservative.

darwin on February 18, 2012 at 11:52 PM

You’ll let me know when I’ve linked this one too many times, yes?

egmont on February 18, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Link it all you want, my friend. It’s your innerweb, too. :>

I linked to Ravel’s Bolero last night, so I throw a little classical out here once in a while myself.

predator on February 18, 2012 at 11:53 PM

How do you create more seating in a gay bar? Turn the stools upside down.

SouthernGent on February 18, 2012 at 11:51 PM

More legs the better…
Good for business..

Electrongod on February 18, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Only his pink part.

predator on February 18, 2012 at 11:50 PM

LoL. Have you seen his Floyd?

SparkPlug on February 18, 2012 at 11:54 PM

LoL. Have you seen his Floyd?

SparkPlug on February 18, 2012 at 11:54 PM

I don’t buy those kinds of magazines.

predator on February 18, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Good for you, and your daughter! I did the same with mine – a long time age. After my youngest got married, I got to work on her husband. Took several years, but I got there. Got him to change his mind on buying, rather than renting his home – for which he is now eternally grateful.

OldEnglish on February 18, 2012 at 11:16 PM

I can’t take all the credit. When she was just five she already had a set position on abortion, and we never talked about that. She figured out what it was and declared it evil on her own. I think she is a very old soul.

Night Owl on February 18, 2012 at 11:58 PM

I would argue that if homosexuality was not considered controversial, or better yet — was considered a normal and acceptable human trait, that these people would have had access to the education, tools, support, and knowledge to avoid a self-destructive lifestyle. Being ostracized by society does not lend to responsible and rational behavior, no matter what it is you are being ostracized for. I don’t think that a confident & smart gay man would be any more likely than a confident & smart straight man to contract AIDS in this day and age. Just as I don’t think a confident and smart man would ever feel the need to throw himself off a bridge in NYC.

So yes, I do think being gay is perfectly valid and acceptable. HIV doesn’t know if the person whose blood it infects is gay or straight.

Violina23 on February 18, 2012 at 11:47 PM

I hope you are not as dumb as this dribble of a post makes you seem.

For your information, the homosexual community has had BILLIONS of dollars spent on education about safe sex, disease avoidance, etc.

For awhile in the 80s, the HIV infection rate went down. But it didn’t stay down primarily because of the aggressively promiscuous lifestyle virtually all same sex aficionados practice. Try not to believe the crap about monogamy in the rainbow community – it means something different to you than it does to them.

However, it is obvious that you do not wish to acknowledge the truths I stated – rather you would rather justify having qu eer friends of whom you cannot bring yourself to disapprove. Fine with me but do not be surprised when the economy crashes (because of overspending and liberal social policies) and the first taxpayer funded medications to suffer a loss of funding are – surprise – AIDS cocktails. Why? Because saving people who don’t care to save themselves is a waste of funds. That is what the death panels Sarah warned about will do.

They will decide the value of individual lives. Hope your resume is filled with whatever they will be looking for.

platypus on February 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Doesn’t it tire you to be so outraged all the time?

Night Owl on February 18, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Its feigned.

Bmore on February 19, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Some people call female gays “carpet munchers”. It was on SNL.

SparkPlug on February 19, 2012 at 12:01 AM

egmont on February 18, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Just lovely, thanks egmont.

Bmore on February 19, 2012 at 12:03 AM

But I consider these to be fiscal conservative issues

Violina23 on February 18, 2012 at 11:47 PM

darwin on February 18, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Well, I’m clearly not a social conservative as defined by this group of readers. Does that mean I should just vote for Obama in November? ;-)

The biggest hot-button social issues I can think of right now are:
- Gay Marriage
- Abortion
- Contraception

I don’t see what the legality of any of these has to do with big government fiscal policy, nanny-state, deficit spending, entitlements, etc. The debate over who pays for it, that is fiscal/constitutional and I will always fall conservative. As should anyone who is freedom-loving in this country. But I have a hard time seeing how legalizing gay marriage causes more abuse of government programs.

There are a lot more people like me than I think you guys realize. Focus on the fiscal, focus on the constitution & we will win the election. Focus on gay marriage & abortion… and you will scare off MANY independents.

G’night all

Violina23 on February 19, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Some people call female gays “carpet munchers”. It was on SNL.

SparkPlug on February 19, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Ellen Degenerate would disapprove.

predator on February 19, 2012 at 12:04 AM

I received a couple of “you’re a bigot” replies to this comment posted in response to an above quote. I suppose my meaning isn’t clear so let me clarify.

This more than anything causes people to not support gay marriage. To many people, these thugs are who they picture as gay. Violent, nasty, verbal and physical assailants who try to silence anyone who dares not worship at their altar.

darwin on February 18, 2012 at 10:53 PM

You get more flies with honey. Violent mobs attacking anyone who whispers a word they don’t agree with isn’t exactly the best way to get your point across. I realize they’re a tiny minority of the gay population but they’re loud, violent and they have money and the media behind them. Get rid of them becuase no one likes a thug and they’ve probably done more to hinder gay marriage than help it.

darwin on February 19, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Ideal fit.

predator on February 18, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Certainly an appropriate fit. : ) It is the anthem after all.

Bmore on February 19, 2012 at 12:05 AM

I don’t buy those kinds of magazines.

predator on February 18, 2012 at 11:56 PM

You ain’t stealin em are ya?/

Bmore on February 19, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Rush is paid to stir the pot. Life is not stirring the pot. It’s like chosing to live your life based upon what a used car salesman believes. He has a vested interest in stirring the pot. He does not care about how progressivism has take over this country. He’s only concerned with tweaking your nerve. That’s his job. He’s an entertainer.

AYNBLAND on February 18, 2012 at 11:36 PM

The man is so wealthy, he could care less about stirring a pot, i.e., increasing ratings. What he’s trying to stir is hearts and giving people the ways and words to overcome the liberal/progressive onslaught against the Constitution, capitalism and this country. Your view, with respect, belies a serious misunderstanding of his mission.

TXUS on February 19, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Bmore on February 19, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Listening to some Celtic Woman right now. I like to mix up my genres.

predator on February 19, 2012 at 12:08 AM

You ain’t stealin em are ya?/

Bmore on February 19, 2012 at 12:07 AM

It’s after midnight and you’re not a pumpkin yet?

platypus on February 19, 2012 at 12:08 AM

You ain’t stealin em are ya?/

Bmore on February 19, 2012 at 12:07 AM

SSSSSHHHH! *dammit man, you’ll blow my cover!*

predator on February 19, 2012 at 12:09 AM

It’s after midnight and you’re not a pumpkin yet?

platypus on February 19, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Not yet, but my better half is wanting to turn in early for a change. Hope folks start loading those songs up soon or I’ll be listening to them in the a.m., nice song egmont cued up.

Bmore on February 19, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Violina23 on February 19, 2012 at 12:03 AM

I don’t agree with your position on gay marriage, but I want to compliment you on your style of commenting. You don’t call names, you stated your points clearly, and you debated. I appreciate that in any discussion! Have a nice evening.

LazyHips on February 19, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Bmore on February 19, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Well, get your priorities right or that better half will turn into a better two thirds faster than you can see. :)

platypus on February 19, 2012 at 12:12 AM

The biggest hot-button social issues I can think of right now are:
- Gay Marriage
- Abortion
- Contraception

G’night all

Violina23 on February 19, 2012 at 12:03 AM

I have no idea why you even listed contraception. The democrats brought up the issue trying to deflect from Obama’s disastrous record. No one has even mentioned contraceptives until the debate and then Obama.

Your positions strike me as conservative as in small limited government way. Government shouldn’t be involved in marriage, abortion or contraception. If anything these are issues for states to decide if they so desire.

Never categorize yourself as liberal in any sense. Today’s “liberal” is a totalitarian set on taking your liberites away. If anything, you’re conservative with a libertarian streak.

darwin on February 19, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Bmore on February 19, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Well here, let me try to wake you up. This too, is fitting because the nation certainly is flirtin’ with disaster.

predator on February 19, 2012 at 12:15 AM

I have no idea why you even listed contraception.

darwin on February 19, 2012 at 12:13 AM

I can’t believe you missed this. She listed it because she’s a donkey party member. She is only here to distract and misdirect.

MoveOn.org and dKos have been telling their members to infiltrate our blogs for years. Why do think this blog feels like a lavender love site so often?

platypus on February 19, 2012 at 12:17 AM

predator on February 19, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Always love me some Hatchet, used to catch at a little bar called Finnigans Rainbow. Them and many others notables Marshall Tucker, many famous and not so famous, always in that genre.

Bmore on February 19, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Outlaws?

Hey, I’m tryin’.

predator on February 19, 2012 at 12:20 AM

predator on February 19, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Excellent!! Bmore ‘aint no ways tired’ after cueing that up.

egmont on February 19, 2012 at 12:21 AM

egmont on February 19, 2012 at 12:21 AM

egmont, I have a quite extensive collection of Classical and Opera. Mozart is my favorite.

Bmore on February 19, 2012 at 12:23 AM

predator
Yep Outlaws played there also.

Bmore on February 19, 2012 at 12:24 AM

predator
You know its funny how you forget stuff as the years pass by. Man when I think about all the great acts I’ve been fortunate enough to see. Especially the ones in the small venues. I enjoyed the 500 crowd size places best, pack a 1000 in and good times ensued.

Bmore on February 19, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Fat, liberal RINO Governor lowers the flag in honor of a pop singer and coke addict.

What a surprise. I’m glad this nitwit didn’t run … he would be toast tonight.

Jaibones on February 19, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Bmore on February 19, 2012 at 12:23 AM

I love the opera (and its rare to find people who are). Bmore you familiar with the once defunct, now revived Baltimore Lyric Opera? I saw quite a few good productions there before the fall. A great Turandot, a very good Lucia and a decent Magic Flute, though I must confess Mozart’s operas are among my lease favorite.

Dammit, is it impossible for us to agree on *anything* around here
/s

But seriously Mozart operas are so long, even though the music is sublime, I tend to prefer his orchestral pieces. The opera don’t provide enough opportunities for that red hot singing you get in Verdi, Donizetti, Strauss, Puccini etc. Which is what I tend to love. The rabid emotionalism appeals to the lefty, its pretty cliche I know. But the heart wants what the heart wants.

libfreeordie on February 19, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Love the southern rock – except for the gratuitous shots of smuggling raisins .

egmont on February 19, 2012 at 12:32 AM

predator

Bmore on February 19, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Yep. There used to be a little joint down on campus in Champaign called The Red Lion. Used to go see REO Speedwagon there for 50 cents.

Also saw Head East, One-Eyed Jacks, and Rufus (Chaka Khan’s original group) there.

predator on February 19, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Doesn’t it tire you to be so outraged all the time?

Night Owl on February 18, 2012 at 11:05 PM
Its feigned.

Bmore on February 19, 2012 at 12:01 AM

I’m having trouble feigning interest in this topic, but I do like the Outlaws, so I’m going to listen to that before I go.

Night Owl on February 19, 2012 at 12:34 AM

predator
Heres a guy I sat down with once before and after a show 1000 or so venue. Nice guy, drinks like know one I ever have known. Half a dozen Martini’s before the show, a six of beer during, and another half dozen or so Martini’s after.

Bmore on February 19, 2012 at 12:35 AM

know=no

Bmore on February 19, 2012 at 12:36 AM

I love the opera (and its rare to find people who are).
libfreeordie on February 19, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Opera lost me when they started putting the lyrics on screen.

egmont on February 19, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Bmore on February 19, 2012 at 12:35 AM

LOl! Now that was a new one on me!

predator on February 19, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Then there’s the old standby for a thread with this topic.

predator on February 19, 2012 at 12:43 AM

libfreeordie on February 19, 2012 at 12:31 AM

My wife has heard of it and been to a show or two. She says Turandot, was one. My fav Mozart is pianno. Opera, Wagner, Puccini, Verdi but really I love all opera. Got the bug young, thanks to Bugs Bunny, Kill the rabbit, kill the rabbit. If you know what I mean. I am a southerner Bmore has nothing to do with Baltimore in case thats why you thought I might. I get that all the time. Think more like trying to be more. Its a nick given to me when I was quite young. I hold seasons tickets to our local Opera, it is actually a very good company. So no you are not alone. Cue something up, would love to give it a tumble. Its really all I/we do here after of course reading all the QOTD articles. : )

Bmore on February 19, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Bmore on February 19, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Check out this new view thru old windows..:)

Dire Straits on February 19, 2012 at 12:46 AM

egmont on February 19, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Yet another that played Finnigans.

Bmore on February 19, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Then there’s the old standby for a thread with this topic.

predator on February 19, 2012 at 12:43 AM

But of course, classic. Where is Dire? Never mind I see him.^^^

Bmore on February 19, 2012 at 12:49 AM

LOl! Now that was a new one on me!

predator on February 19, 2012 at 12:40 AM

You would dig the Rev, just don’t get in any drinking contest’s with him. LOL!

Bmore on February 19, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Bmore on February 19, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Now that is just awesome. Beethoven page one and IR cowboy love page two. HA rocks.

arnold ziffel on February 19, 2012 at 12:52 AM

You would dig the Rev, just don’t get in any drinking contest’s with him. LOL!

Bmore on February 19, 2012 at 12:50 AM

I was a pretty hard partier back in the day, but I think I’ll give him his due. Sheesh!

predator on February 19, 2012 at 12:53 AM

arnold ziffel on February 19, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Yeah, man. And the left thinks they have the market cornered on diversity. :D

predator on February 19, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Check out this new view thru old windows..:)

Dire Straits on February 19, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Dire, you a Limey? The only other person I know who knows of Rea is Limey. : )

Bmore on February 19, 2012 at 12:56 AM

predator on February 19, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Ole Rev’s liver has to be completely picked by now.

Bmore on February 19, 2012 at 12:58 AM

I brought it up not because it SHOULD be an issue, but it *is* a hot-button issue right now like it or not. I absolutely agree it’s a distraction, and it’s working brilliantly. Independents, many of whom USE contraceptives, are going to have a hard time voting for the guy who says contraception are immoral. Whether or not it is relevant to the actual issue (which it’s not) is besides the point. That is the red flag I’m waving about social issues in general.

But yes, you pegged me pretty well otherwise. I’d probably *be* libertarian, except for foreign policy. I feel very adamant about a strong defense, and supporting allies such as Israel. I will still vote for whomever the Republican candidate is, for the reasons you stated, but I’m not going to be completely happy about any of the remaining candidates.

platypus on February 19, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Wow, first I’m dumb for not believing that acceptance of homosexuality is going to destroy the country, now I’m an infiltrator from the DailyKOS? I’m a lot more powerful and important than I thought.

Your disdain of my opinion on gays aside, I think my point is a legitimate one — to remember the big picture for this election. In the grand scheme of things, I think Obama’s statist policies are FAR more likely to destroy the country than allowing Joan and Jane to get married, and call it “marriage”.

LazyHips on February 19, 2012 at 12:11 AM

I appreciate that, thanks. I find when people feel like they are being attacked personally, they shut themselves off to the argument. I find liberals who attack conservatives as backwards/stupid/repressive to be just as guilty of this, if not more. But I keep saying to them — I’ll consider being a liberal, when the math adds up. It never does, and telling me that I mean mean and lack compassion, isn’t going to make me a “believer”

Violina23 on February 19, 2012 at 12:58 AM

A change of pace, and a little laid back, but how bout a tune from some Russian hottehz?

predator on February 19, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Then there’s the old standby for a thread with this topic.

predator on February 19, 2012 at 12:43 AM

I’m thinking Brother Love.

egmont on February 19, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Bmore on February 19, 2012 at 12:56 AM

No limey here..Just love the Guitar in this song..:)

Dire Straits on February 19, 2012 at 1:00 AM

predator on February 19, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Why is it I am picturing you sitting there with a silly a$$ smile on your face and machine is on mute. : )

Bmore on February 19, 2012 at 1:02 AM

I’m a big classical music lover myself (as you can probably guess from my handle) but I was never a big fan of opera, aside from overtures. I play in a community orchestra, it is my sanity from the chaos of life.

One piece I played in college that I heard the other day and would recommend to those who have never heard it is “Fantasy on a Theme by Thomas Tallis”, by R. Vaughn Williams. It is written for string orchestra only, but orchestrated with a smaller “sub-orchestra”, plus a solo quartet as well. It is lush and hauntingly beautiful. Ironically, in college we played this piece in the same concert with Stravinsky’s “Rite of Spring”. Talk about juxtaposition…

Violina23 on February 19, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Bmore on February 19, 2012 at 1:02 AM

LoL! Yeah, you really don’t have to listen to enjoy, that’s for sure. But I listened. “Dishi so mnoi.” Breathe with me, I think that means. I’d breathe with any one of them. Or all of them. *in my younger days*

predator on February 19, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Dire Straits on February 19, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Yep, really good guitar, thats for sure. Dire you never cease to surprise me with the just off the radar music. : ) I like it. Keep up the good work!

Bmore on February 19, 2012 at 1:05 AM

predator on February 19, 2012 at 12:58 AM

I hear you..Let’s try some Welsh hottness..:)

Dire Straits on February 19, 2012 at 1:06 AM

predator on February 19, 2012 at 1:05 AM

If my translation is correct, I think its, Breed with me. Lol!

Bmore on February 19, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Bmore on February 19, 2012 at 1:05 AM

..:)

Dire Straits on February 19, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Violina23 on February 19, 2012 at 1:03 AM

I had not heard the former. Listening now. Very nice. Thanks!

egmont on February 19, 2012 at 1:10 AM

I’m thinking Brother Love.

egmont on February 19, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Wow talkin about dustin one off. ; )

Bmore on February 19, 2012 at 1:10 AM

If my translation is correct, I think its, Breed with me. Lol!

Bmore on February 19, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Well you do have to do one to do the other.

My comment about “in my younger days” reminds me of this. Perhaps you’ve heard it.

Young bull and an old bull grazing in a pasture next to a field of cows.

The young bull nudges the old bull and says, “Hey, let’s run over there and boink one of those cows.”

The old bull looks up, looks over at the cows, looks back at the young bull and says, “Why don’t we just walk over there and boink them all?”

*rimshot*

predator on February 19, 2012 at 1:11 AM

libfreeordie on February 19, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Dang did I scare ya off? I know I normally try to, but hey music is the great uniter. Post something. : )

Bmore on February 19, 2012 at 1:14 AM

predator on February 19, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Good one! Lol!

Bmore on February 19, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Opera lost me when they started putting the lyrics on screen.

egmont on February 19, 2012 at 12:36 AM

My goodness really? Well its certainly made it easier for me to get people to go with me. People do hate to do all of that pre-performance study. Though yes, sometimes reading the words above the stage can be a distraction. However, its worth getting back into it if you have kids! This wonderful art form really does need to be passed onto the next generation and you never know who might catch the opera bug.

libfreeordie on February 19, 2012 at 1:17 AM

I hear you..Let’s try some Welsh hottness..:)

Dire Straits on February 19, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Excellent Dire! I had never heard of her before. I may have to investigate further.

predator on February 19, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Well folks guess I’m off to never, never land. Nah, I ain’t gonna post it, its been played on this site plenty lately. I’ll leave y’all with this.

Good night all. ; )

Bmore on February 19, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Bmore, here’s a wonderful piece that’s been set to a funny little video. Depuis le Jour sung by the incomporable Leontyne Price. Its a little slice of heaven and serenity really. So utterly heart meltingly beautiful is Ms. Price’s singing that it even compensates for the slight audio imperfection of the clip.

libfreeordie on February 19, 2012 at 1:21 AM

egmont on February 19, 2012 at 12:36 AM

libfreeordie on February 19, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Opinions?

predator on February 19, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Bmore on February 19, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Later Bmore. See ya next weekend.

predator on February 19, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Sound really is bad there….

libfreeordie on February 19, 2012 at 1:22 AM

predator on February 19, 2012 at 1:17 AM

She is a newbie..She has talent..:)

Dire Straits on February 19, 2012 at 1:22 AM

She is a newbie..She has talent..:)

Dire Straits on February 19, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Indeed she does. Dancers were pretty good, too. A well-made vid.
Now I have to see what Bmore left us as his parting shot.

predator on February 19, 2012 at 1:25 AM

predator on February 19, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Thumbs up..All of the group Celtic Women are excellent singers..:)

Dire Straits on February 19, 2012 at 1:25 AM

And since you mentioned Wagner. Anyone who loves music should check out this clip. Since this music is meant to evoke the creation of the universe it takes about 35 seconds for it to get going. So no, nothing is wrong with your speakers. But is worth the wait.

libfreeordie on February 19, 2012 at 1:25 AM

libfreeordie on February 19, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Lovely, just lovely. I know you said you don’t care for Mozart but here ya go. A tender and revealing moment, a husband realizing his errors.

Good night again all. ; )

Bmore on February 19, 2012 at 1:25 AM

My goodness really?
libfreeordie on February 19, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Yes. I can appreciate why people like it. But I don’t want to see “I am dying” scrolling above the stage while Arianne Zuckerman is belting out “sto morendo” multiple times or in extended syllables to fit the score.

egmont on February 19, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Thumbs up..All of the group Celtic Women are excellent singers..:)

Dire Straits on February 19, 2012 at 1:25 AM

They do. I posted this the other night. But I’m gonna throw it out here one more time. The voice of all voices, imo.

predator on February 19, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Opinions?

predator on February 19, 2012 at 1:21 AM

I fear I may be destined to live up to the expecation of the lefty elite snob. I can, in no way, sing as well as any of the Celtic Women. They have wonderful talents and are unique. But I don’t like that particular style of classical singing. Its too choir solo and not enough fire, diva and brimstone to it.

libfreeordie on February 19, 2012 at 1:29 AM

For the Mozart fans. Uh ignore the super weird photo.

libfreeordie on February 19, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Fantasy on a Theme by Thomas Tallis”, by R. Vaughn Williams.

Violina23 on February 19, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Violina, I don’t know if you are still here, but thank you for sharing – this is beautiful, never heard it or of it before. Haunting indeed!

LazyHips on February 19, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Does everyone know R. Vaughn Williams The Lark Ascending? If not, here you go.

libfreeordie on February 19, 2012 at 1:33 AM

libfreeordie on February 19, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Thanks for the reply. Just curious.

That’s not one that I play often. Rarely, in fact. I like the quicker paced things they do, such as The Voice, which I just linked to as well. I do love listening to them on the whole. They are immensely talented. I have a couple of their CDs and DVDs.

predator on February 19, 2012 at 1:34 AM

predator on February 19, 2012 at 1:21 AM

A beautiful woman and well done. I prefer Andrea Bocelli…

The last time I saw the Celtic Women was at the 2010 White Christmas Tree lighting. Cowboy Salaczar and the First family sat in a heated cubicle behind 3″ glass while the Celtic girls froze (temp was in the 20′s) on stage.

Nighty-nite kiddos…

egmont on February 19, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Yeah a good personal friend of mine swears by them, I got him one of their CDs during a PBS fund drive. His face lit up. Their fans really love them. And I do find some fun similarities between their faster tunes and bluegrass which I thoroughly love. And speaking of bluegrass, OK I know this is wrong, but I can’t help this link. I am what I am.

libfreeordie on February 19, 2012 at 1:39 AM

libfreeordie on February 19, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Guilty pleasure of many a conservative. Shhhhhhhhhhhhh
I think I shall re-christen you freeordie :-p

LazyHips on February 19, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Just a temporary road block in the Culture Wars. Conservatives will loose again, and always if the Left has it’s way.

Time to do something different. If, as the Left avows, homosexuality is biologically preset, and not a developmental error, then there is a marker in the DNA. Fund research to find that marker. Publicize the marker in pre-natal testing in Planned Parenthood clinics. Problem solved in a generation.

It’s not like the Left actually cares about homosexuals. They are just another tool to crush conservatives, and control society.

NaCly dog on February 18, 2012 at 10:24 PM

That’s an interesting thought. If they could genetically determine “gayness” then they could search for it, much like they do for trisomy 21 and then offer abortions on demand for them.

And before anyone woop at me regarding gay as not being a defect, please verify that you’ve said the same to a woman who aborted a trisomy 21 fetus.

kim roy on February 19, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Guilty pleasure of many a conservative. Shhhhhhhhhhhhh
I think I shall re-christen you freeordie :-p

LazyHips on February 19, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Not this conservative. Clicked on. Clicked off. Not interested.

predator on February 19, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Guilty pleasure of many a conservative. Shhhhhhhhhhhhh

LazyHips on February 19, 2012 at 1:43 AM

I *knew it!* LOL :) I’m sorry, but you just can not deny the love of music displayed on that stage. I must admit, I always felt more sorry for those who deprived themselves of this band than I did for the girls. They can always make music for themselves. But I can’t do this:

libfreeordie on February 19, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Threadie’s dead. That’s what I said. (Curtis Mayfield)

I’m out.

predator on February 19, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Well i can never hate on a Curtis Mayfield reference…

libfreeordie on February 19, 2012 at 1:57 AM

predator on February 19, 2012 at 1:47 AM

+ 100..:)

Dire Straits on February 19, 2012 at 1:58 AM

This nation is getting close to the brink if not over it already. We’ve becoming self-absorbed and egocentric. Who cares about the future as long as we get our own way?

In the words of Leonard Cohen, “When they said, Repent, repent, repent, I wondered what they meant.”

flataffect on February 19, 2012 at 2:02 AM

I’ll just assume that all of the sanctimonious people here telling us that we should just accept homosexual marriage also support polygamy and incestuous marriage. No? Why not? Intolerant?

Malachi45 on February 19, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Not this conservative. Clicked on. Clicked off. Not interested.

predator on February 19, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Had three of their CDs threw them out. At one time I really liked the group. I have no use for people that would make a point to insult the president in a foreign country to be “cool”—esp when they are so woefully ignorant. Same with the ass wipe cop killer supporter Sting. Liberal entertainers are one thing, in your face about it is another.

arnold ziffel on February 19, 2012 at 2:09 AM