Bad news, Canada. America loves you.

posted at 8:00 pm on February 18, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

Andrew Malcolm brings us some good news on the front of international peace and love, but some bad news for the Great White North. It turns out that of all the many nations in the world, aside from our own, Americans love Canada the best.

A new Gallup Poll finds that it’s become Americans’ most very favorite foreign country both now and in the 20 years Gallup has inquired about such things.

Americans may not have been there and may be abysmally ignorant about a next-door neighbor (or neighbour) that is by far its largest trading partner, best friend and closest ally. (Until the last election Harvard grad Barack Obama thought they had a president up there.)

But Gallup finds that a record 96% of Americans are feeling the love for that northern land of toques that’s 10% larger than the United States with one-tenth the population. U.S. lovers of Canada are up 4% just in the past year.

In fact, liking Canada is almost unanimous in the 57 states. Only 3% of Americans think unfavorably (or unfavourably) of Canada, and they probably don’t even know where it is. (North of everything except Alaska and Detroit.)

But that’s good news, right? I mean, they’re not just our neighbor and largest trading partner, but they are responsible for the other half of one of the longest international land borders in the world. We want to be on good terms, and so should they, right? Not so fast there, back bacon fans.

When Americans start paying attention to anything, even if it’s positive, they tend to unintentionally smother, crush the bushes and walk all over the flower beds, telling you how really glad they are to be there, you know what I mean? It’s as if Randy McQuaid came for the weekend — and stayed a month.

But not everyone is feeling the love for Canada. Hey… don’t get the wrong idea, here. I’m not talking about me. I love Canada. I’ve spent a lot of time there. Amazing fishing and hunting, great food, wonderful people. And you know what else they have a lot of that I like? Oil.

But as I said, not everyone loves Canada. Some people thumb their noses at them, turn down their offers to build pipelines and send their Prime Minister scurrying off with hurt feelings to go make deals with China.

But not me. I don’t blame Canada, even if the kids on South Park do. A short video tribute to close:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

unclesmrgol on February 19, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Wow. I’ve never once had anyone show hostility over my American money north of the border. (But then, the French have always been nice to me too. Go figure.)

Ask enough Americans what their favorite foreign country is, and you’ll get a lot who can only think of three anyway: Canada, Mexico, and Cuba.

But Canada is a great place, and Canucks are tops in my book. Anyone who elects Stephen Harper is doing something right.

J.E. Dyer on February 19, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Poor Johnny 100 pesos. Feeling a tad inadequate?

1812. That was then. THIS IS NOW. And now Canada wouldn’t stand a chance. Good thing we’re friends. Otherwise, we’ll sic the girl scouts on you. And you’d end up our …. :^)

BTW, lest you think I hate Canucks, I live in the Tampa area. Central Florida is very popular with Canadians. In fact, a number of our resorts fly the Canadian flag right next to ours. I see lots of Canadian license plates driving around. Good thing they aren’t Brits and drive on the same side of the road as we, though they seem to have trouble with our speed limits – KPH v. MPH.

One of the local radio stations broadcasts “The Canada Hour,” with news and politics from the Great White North. And of course, we have “Canada Drugs” stores all over.

Because of tourism, including the contribution from you Canadians, we don’t have a state income tax. So. We thank you! You’all come back now. Hear?

Heh, heh.

georgej on February 19, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Surely everyone up there must know Ed Morrisey, who became the custodian (and the poster) of all the adscam stuff when your press was prohibited by court order from discussing the thing….

I certainly remember the Captain. I followed his postings as he ignored the law prohibiting publication of the information that has given us three elections with Conservatives on the rise and the Liberals in freefall. I for one am forever grateful. I’m also glad he made his way here, although I was greatly saddened at the time. You’re all right, Ed.

itobo on February 19, 2012 at 1:39 AM

…and f&%# Tim Horton too!

TBinSTL on February 19, 2012 at 1:52 AM

A lot of Canadians hate the U.S. so much that the move to the U.S., making Los Angeles the 6th largest Canadian city.

bigmike on February 19, 2012 at 2:12 AM

I have traveled through all of western Canada including the Yukon and NWT. I love it there but I am always happy to finally cross the border back into Alaska. God bless the USA and Canada!

tbear44 on February 19, 2012 at 4:28 AM

If Canada can fix that whole “Human Rights Commission” thing where they tried to destroy Ezra Levant and Mark Steyn, and have succeeded in cowing a few less prominent Canadians who sadly lacked the means to defend themselves publicly, I might think about liking Canada.

Until then, the difference between Canada and Iran is that Iran is proud of its totalitarianism whereas Canada pretends it doesn’t exist.

Free Speech is not negotiable. I’m sure most Canadians are generally nice people, but they live in a tyranny that merely feigns it’s commitment to essential liberty.

BKennedy on February 19, 2012 at 5:38 AM

BKennedy on February 19, 2012 at 5:38 AM

Thankfully we have PM Stephen Harper who is trying to undo the socialist overtaxed mess created by previous PMs Paul Martin and Jean (Cretin) Chretien, albeit a slow work in progress.

cableguy615 on February 19, 2012 at 8:29 AM

…and f&%# Tim Horton too!

TBinSTL on February 19, 2012 at 1:52 AM

OK that’s low Tim Horton’s is the world’s best coffee!!!

cableguy615 on February 19, 2012 at 8:30 AM

We also gave you as good as we got in the War of 1812. You should know we took parts of Maine, New England, Michigan and New York State, and only returned them when negotiating peace with a stunned America.

Yeah, my Great-Great-Grandfather had to sign a note disavowing alliance to the King because of that little dispute.

LoganSix on February 19, 2012 at 8:32 AM

@ BKennedy.

Yeah, you know.
An example or two of the spirit-crushing tyranny we Canadians live under would be nice…

NorthernEx on February 19, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Poor Johnny 100 pesos. Feeling a tad inadequate?

georgej on February 19, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Why should I feel inadequate by a guy in a girl scout uniform?

Why should I feel inadequate when the facts are on my side?

Why should I feel inadequate when our troops are right now fighting fierce in Kandahar?

Canada has always punched above it’s weight class.

Johnny 100 Pesos on February 19, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Who the heck is Randy McQuaid? The Scottish cousin of the guy on the Vacation movies?

babygiraffe on February 19, 2012 at 9:02 AM

In Canada, all signs must be in French and English.

BigGator5 on February 19, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Canada is a great place to visit in July. I’ve always found Canadian customs very polite, where as the US customs agents always seem jaded and sometimes down right rude. There is some anti American sentiment, but once the locals realize you are not from the east coast, they can become quite freindly and open. Their football is a little odd.

Wallythedog on February 19, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Canada doesn’t just have a lot of oil/gas/coal. They’re rich in a ton of other natural resources, like diamonds, gold, silver. They probably have large deposits of rare-earths just waiting to be explored that would help break the stranglehold China has on the rare earth’s market.

Nethicus on February 19, 2012 at 9:42 AM

BKennedy on February 19, 2012 at 5:38 AM

This is one of those cases where looking before leaping might be a good idea.

If you had bothered, you would know that Section 13 of the HRA is in the process of being repealed.

And like NorthernEx, I too would love a couple of examples.

Jim708 on February 19, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Couldn’t have something to do with being led by a Conservative PM, could it? Stephen Harper is awesome.

Take out Quebec, the CBC, and their collapsed Socialized/Government-controlled Universal Health Care and it’s a great country. (Seriously, anyone with any smarts goes to the US for healthcare. Including provincial leaders.)

so-notbuyingit on February 19, 2012 at 11:42 AM

They gave us Rush. As far as I’m concerned we owe them.

Caiwyn on February 18, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Greatest band EVER.

msupertas on February 19, 2012 at 11:48 AM

You know how they came up with the name “Canada”?

They tossed letters in a hat and pulled a few out one by one…

C, eh? N, eh? D, eh?

The Rogue Tomato on February 19, 2012 at 11:54 AM

What is all this about Canada giving us Rush? If you are referring to Rush Limbaugh, he was born and raised in Cape Girardeau, Missouri. As far as Canada being our best friend, I think it is one-sided. As far as I’m concerned that honor has and always will go to England, as least until the muslims take completely over.

theaddora on February 19, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Double face palm. Rush the BAND, you dolt.

msupertas on February 19, 2012 at 11:57 AM

A tribute to our neighbors to the north.

sandbagger on February 19, 2012 at 12:18 PM

sandbagger on February 19, 2012 at 12:18 PM

One of the best episodes of the Sci-Fi era of MST3K, if not the best.

Too bad most Canadians never were able to see it until it was released on DVD… ‘seven years later…’

Myron Falwell on February 19, 2012 at 12:28 PM

so-notbuyingit on February 19, 2012 at 11:42 AM

At least until 2014, provided we fail this November.

I only give the CBC props for one thing: The Red Green Show (they aired seasons 7-15). Greatest show ever.

Myron Falwell on February 19, 2012 at 12:33 PM

heshtesh on February 18, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Yep, I grew up listening to BTO myself. They were part of the soundtrack to my teen years. I’m dating myself, I know. LOL

A former co-worker got me turned on to Men Without Hats in the early 90s. I was familiar with “The Safety Dance,” of course, but thought they were pretty much a one-hit-wonder band. Then my co-worker, who was our department’s informal deejay, brought in “Pop Goes the World” and before the closing notes faded, it became a CD that I absolutely had to have.

PatriotGal2257 on February 19, 2012 at 12:57 PM

A long time ago when America was born, it drove out a large section of its conservatives. Most went north and laid down the soul of English Canada. We were driven out by the progressive movement at the time. Canada does not hate you,we just carry an historic internal wariness of our rebel cousins.: )

My family arrived in Mass. around 1640. The second generation filtered through Conn. into NY to escape Puritan New England. Bought land from the Indians around 1670, they spent the next century taming the land near Rye NY. A large portion of Westchester County NY was loyal in 1775. They fought in Loyalist units like Delancey’s Westchester Refugees and Simcoes Queens Rangers for the wars duration. The largest portion of the extended family fought for the rebels and remained after 1783. We were forced to go back five generations and become pioneers again and start a new country from scratch. After a century of watching you nervously and occasionally fending you off your manifest destiny, we stopped feeling at risk around the 1890′s. We are very connected by blood if not quite the same mindset.

I have been doing a great deal of study of those times for several years now. It is fascinating history whose nuts and bolts are not generally known to Canadians or Americans today.

BL@KBIRD on February 19, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I, too, have fond memories of Canada: their roadside diners are a lot better than ours, or at least they were forty years ago.

But my God, don’t those Mounties on the HA home page look like the chorus line in a ghey revue?

PersonFromPorlock on February 19, 2012 at 2:14 PM

RE: NorthernEx / Jim708:

The reason that section is being repealed is basically because Ezra Levant and Mark Steyn exposed it for the tyrannical overreach it was. But I do have several more examples than those two, which are high profile and easily searchable.

Christian couple loses foster care case for not endorsing state position on homosexuality.

Canada orders pastor to renounce his faith.

Here’s a blog dedicated to it.

BKennedy on February 19, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Those are your examples of tyrant-rule in Canada? The first link is a story out of Derby, UK. How is that even relevant to Canada?

Pretty feeble. And as another poster said; “You should definitely look before you leap.”

NorthernEx on February 19, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Johnny 100 Pesos

Why should I feel inadequate by a guy in a girl scout uniform?

Girl scout suit? You’re confused, it’s a Ghillie Suit. You Canucks are still in love with “red coats” while the rest of the world has moved on and discovered “camouflage.”

Why should I feel inadequate when the facts are on my side?

Well, it is a fact that we failed to invade Canada twice, 1775 and 1813. But, that was then. This is now. See table below.

We thank you. But we could have used you in Vietnam and Iraq. Where were you when we needed you? The Aussies were with us in Vietnam and Iraq. The Brits were with us in Iraq. You Canucks found something else to do, I guess. Maybe had to wash your hair that weekend? Or do your nails?

Canada has always punched above it’s weight class.

Yawn. Reasons to invade, comparison of forces, from http://invadecanada.us/

=======America======vs======Canada
Armed Forces Budget: $276,700,000,000, $7,861,000,000
Manpower: 73,597,731, 7,158,016
Best Ground Weapon: M-1 Abrams Tank, “Mounties”
Military Hero: Gen. MacArthur, Dudley Do-Right
Patriotic Music: Lee Greenwood, Celine Dion
Backbone: Fully Developed, Missing
Secret Weapon: Stealth Technology, Rabid Beavers

Punching above your weight. Yeah, right.

Send your vest measurements to your new master, WalMart, now and avoid the post-invasion rush.

Remember, it’s it’s “Zee,” not “Zed”.

georgej on February 19, 2012 at 9:42 PM

You know I’m kidding, Johnny 100 Pesos, don’t you?

georgej on February 20, 2012 at 12:15 AM

For you experts on Canada: You do not call them Canucks. Canucks are half breeds and that is insulting. Also it is zed, not z, crumpets, not biscuits, chips, not fries. About rhymes with and is pronounced with vowel sounds like in clout (which Virginians do also)and traffic drives on the right side of the road. I am half Canadian and when I look at the government in this country, I am sure that it is my better half.

AReadyRepub on February 20, 2012 at 12:19 AM

The only problem with Canada is Scott, he’s such a Dick.

Wallythedog on February 20, 2012 at 8:11 AM

I would say most Canadians love America too. I personally dislike your current president and will be praying for his ouster come November.

potvin on February 20, 2012 at 5:49 PM