Should MSNBC have fired Pat Buchanan?

posted at 6:45 pm on February 17, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

MSNBC has apparently reached the end of the line with profligate pundit and one time presidential candidate Pat Buchanan. This is a rather dramatic end to one segment of a long and controversial story surrounding the perennial talker, mover and shaker in American politics which many on both sides of the aisle are celebrating. But should we? The Telegraph comes to a qualified defense of Pat’s work and thinks the network has made a mistake.

It’s official: the conservative pundit and politician Pat Buchanan has been sacked from MSNBC. He got in trouble in November of last year for writing a book called Suicide of a Superpower – a vast, angry Jeremiad about the decline of America. A liberal pressure group called Color of Change decided that it was racist and started lobbying MSNBC to sack its best known Right-wing pundit. After a couple of months, the network caved and Buchanan was gone. Last night, he wrote a column giving his side of the story. He says that he’s been “blacklisted.” I think it’s simpler and sadder than that.

Read their full analysis. It’s worth a look. Pat was a regular on Morning Joe, which as most of you know I watch on a daily basis. I didn’t always agree with Pat and he clearly said and wrote some things which would rile up the masses, but he also provided a wealth of experience in American politics and government which few can manage. Joe Scarborough and his partner in crime Mika Brzezinski released the following rebuttal.

“Everyone at Morning Joe considers Pat Buchanan to be a friend and a member of the family. Even though we strongly disagree with the contents of Pat’s latest book, Mika and I believe those differences should have been debated in public. An open dialogue with Morning Joe regulars like Al Sharpton and Harold Ford, Jr. could have developed into an important debate on the future of race relations in America.

Pat himself released a statement at Human Events describing the long road which led to this confrontation. Give his own account a read for yourself. It says a lot.

For me it’s a much more difficult argument. You see, Pat reminds me, in many ways, of my father. Those who know me are aware that I’ve written of my dad many times in the past. He was a complicated fellow and frequently hard to love in the opinion of many.

My father was a skilled mechanical engineer with several patents to his credit. He was a family man and a good provider. He was also a war hero, serving on one of the “vulture squads” under General George Patton in World War 2. He received the Purple Heart and a squad commendation from the relief of Bastogne, when he was blown up by some tank shell fragments.

My dad was also an infamous…

I’m never sure what word to fill in there. My dad was a bigot by any modern standard, as was my grandfather. He hated black people. And Asians. And Jews and Mormons. (He would have hated Muslims if we’d had any around our farm country back in the day.) His opinions of women would enrage any modern feminist. In short, my Dad hated pretty much anybody who wasn’t… him. He was brought up that way. My grandfather never got over Pearl Harbor and, when I was a child, he once told me that Japanese people were the result of mad scientists’ experiments breeding Chinese people with Gorillas. Yes.. that’s the house I grew up in.

But my dad was still a smart man and had other opinions which he shared in his own community. That’s how things were in some places. The country has thankfully grown beyond that, but it doesn’t diminish the great things my father did, even for all his shortcomings.

I’m not saying Pat Buchanan is as far out on the limb as my father was. (Now dead these past twenty years and more.) But given my experience with eccentric relatives, I find myself having more than a little sympathy when he says inflammatory things and a willingness to listen when he speaks on other subjects where he has a vast pool of experience and much to offer. I don’t ask anyone to forgive Buchanan when he dives into areas which clearly seem to indicate some insensitivity, but silencing him entirely is a sin of another kind.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

They did him a favor. He hasn’t said anything that he hasn’t been saying for decades. This is the media matters factor at work.

De Oppresso Liber on February 17, 2012 at 6:48 PM

It is 2012 and we should not be entertaining racists. America has come a long way and too many people have died for this reason, to have a bigot on the air is an insult to the grave of MLK

liberal4life on February 17, 2012 at 6:51 PM

No, they shouldn’t have. Still, good news for him that he gets to be rid of that horrid station, by whatever means it came about.

Gingotts on February 17, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Pat getting an offer from Fox in 3…2…1

dirtseller on February 17, 2012 at 6:51 PM

So this network has an actual racist
Al ” Blueberry Pie” Sharpton
on it’s payroll,
the guy who instigates blacks to riot against Jews and Whites,
but Buchanan is a racist because he wrote a book and gave some statistics ?

burrata on February 17, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Of course, MSNBC needs to fire up the lefty troops, and has thus tossed them a scalp.

Nothing to see here.

rightwingyahooo on February 17, 2012 at 6:52 PM

MSNBC were given their orders by Soros/MMFA or whoever runs that station.

Pat Buchanan has been saying more or less the same thing for as long as I can remember. I don’t agree with a great deal of it, but that’s not license to start screaming bigot, racist, hater etc.? On some blogs he’s called a white supremacist but then some blogs see Klan members around burning crosses on ever corner of every street in America.

Pah.

CorporatePiggy on February 17, 2012 at 6:53 PM

My parents were equal opportunity bigots. they hated everybody

gerrym51 on February 17, 2012 at 6:54 PM

liberal4life on February 17, 2012 at 6:51 PM

You think they fired the wrong guy then? Maybe they meant to fire Sharpton.

Oh … I forgot, you’re a true idiot.

darwin on February 17, 2012 at 6:56 PM

liberal4life on February 17, 2012 at 6:51 PM

I agree. And personally, I’m going to miss hearing from Reverends Sharpton and Jackson.

Red State State of Mind on February 17, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Pat was my favorite anti-semite. I’m going to miss him in a perverse, old-timey way.

inklake on February 17, 2012 at 6:58 PM

My dad was also an infamous…

You’ve just described half the male population born before 1920.
My family was full of them, and they have all died off 20 or more years ago.And most of their old hatreds died with them. At least in my family. The only difference was I saw it from the other side of the color spectrum. My family is not white. And they were just as racist as your dad Jazz. Its just the way it was. Thank God racism is getting eliminated more and more as the older generations die off. They contributed so much, but carried so much baggage.

portlandon on February 17, 2012 at 6:58 PM

burrata on February 17, 2012 at 6:52 PM

darwin on February 17, 2012 at 6:56 PM

GMTA

Red State State of Mind on February 17, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Ah, I forgot. Diversity and multiculturalism is a holy good. Anyone who disagrees is a racist. /sarc

Lord on February 17, 2012 at 7:00 PM

I believe that all people should be treated in the same way, in my case it is with loathing and contempt. (SARC)

mechkiller_k on February 17, 2012 at 7:00 PM

liberal4life on February 17, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Why is Al Sharpton still there?

idesign on February 17, 2012 at 7:00 PM

but silencing him entirely is a sin of another kind.

Not having a TV show does not mean he’s been silenced entirely.

red_herring on February 17, 2012 at 7:01 PM

liberal4life on February 17, 2012 at 6:51 PM

rotflmao….and Al Sharpton has his own show.

priceless.

rickyricardo on February 17, 2012 at 7:02 PM

PAT anytime you need a place to hang your hat call me. would love to have you.

rik on February 17, 2012 at 7:02 PM

“Historians” will try to tell you that lots of the racists from that era weren’t actually raised to “hate” other groups-they were simply raised to consider them to be their inferiors, and also raised to whenever possible avoid them.

Del Dolemonte on February 17, 2012 at 7:03 PM

idesign on February 17, 2012 at 7:00 PM

b/c we love him much

rik on February 17, 2012 at 7:04 PM

rotflmao….and Al Sharpton has his own show.

priceless.

rickyricardo on February 17, 2012 at 7:02 PM

He supports the communist left so he’s cool.

darwin on February 17, 2012 at 7:04 PM

burrata on February 17, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Shhh…Statistics are evil when they don’t uphold utopian ideas.

DrMagnolias on February 17, 2012 at 7:05 PM

I guess he’ll be at home at FOXNEWS with Lou Dobbs and co. I wonder though if he’ll get a pay raise like Mr. Williams

residentblue on February 17, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Pat Buchanan is RACIST?
Here…try this! http://nation.foxnews.com/p resident-obama/2012/02/02/obama-announces-2012-launch-african-americans-obam a

KOOLAID2 on February 17, 2012 at 7:06 PM

The more dangerous point is that this happens more and more frequently.

Look at Komen, didn’t pay protection money and the left unleashed their troglodytes against them.

darwin on February 17, 2012 at 7:06 PM

you must be goofin

rik on February 17, 2012 at 7:06 PM

It is 2012 and we should not be entertaining racists

liberal4life on February 17, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Oh, you mean like Sharpton, Jackson, Waters, Rangel, et.al.? Or are you one of those morons who think that blacks can’t be racist, too?

Moose Drool on February 17, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Lord on February 17, 2012 at 7:00 PM

what a shocker, our second in command of the Ron Paul brigade uttering pseudo racist claptrap, i guess in Pat “hitler was a great guy” Buchanan’s and Ron “Israelis are nazis” paleocon tinted world, the only diversity that shouldn’t be met with derision is between that of catholics and protestants,( white catholics and protestants.. of course).

In this situation i can safely say, much like the syrian uprising, a pox on both their houses, media matters and Pat, 2 sides of a racist anti-semitic extremist coin.

golembythehudson on February 17, 2012 at 7:08 PM

By the way, the slags at Media Matters pretty much take full credit for getting Pat fired. Bongo drums and all that.

slickwillie2001 on February 17, 2012 at 7:09 PM

He should not have been sacked.

This shows that those who say there’s a climate of censorship and intimidation are telling the truth.

David Blue on February 17, 2012 at 7:10 PM

golembythehudson on February 17, 2012 at 7:08 PM

What the heck did I just read? It’s pseudo-racist to not believe in diversity and multiculturalism? Funny.

Lord on February 17, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Of course MSNBC should not have fired Pat Buchanan.

Stupid question.

Color of Change and Media Matters are TOTALITARIANS. They are no different from Hitler or Stalin. Don’t like the message? Silence the messenger. Find a way to silence all opinion you don’t like.

We were supposed to have a First Amendment in this nation, but of course, Totalitarians don’t subscribe to the Constitution. One would have thought that mainstream media would have a duty to First Amendment rights, but MSNBC isn’t a “media” venue so much as a “propaganda” venue these days.

It’s pathetic. Pat Buchanan NEVER lost his civility, his respect for differences in opinion, or his humanity in all the years I watched him discuss/debate on MSNBC. His sunny disposition never changed; he always had a ready laugh, even at his own expense. He was always respectful to others. Look at the ugly hate-mongering ideologues and totalitarians who had him fired. By contrast, they are filled with ugly hatreds, intense rage, and a disrespect for the values of this country.

We should ALL vehemently protest this disgusting act of bigotry and anti-American censorship against Patrick Buchanan. But we won’t. We’ll let it stand.

But because we will let it stand, we are next on the list. When the HIGH PRIESTS OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS come for us–and they will– there will be no one left to speak out; they will all have been silenced.

mountainaires on February 17, 2012 at 7:12 PM

My Dad told me about his mother, who was pretty racist. During the Depression, men used to come to the door and ask if they could do yard work for a meal. She used to have them mow the lawn or pull weeds, then fix them a good hot meal.

If the guy was black, she did the same, but instead of washing the dishes he used, she threw them away. It always bothered my Dad.

But hey, at least she gave him work and a meal too. People were sure different then…

dukecitygirl on February 17, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Pat Buchanan would be the only person from MSNBC that i would shake hands with. The rest are leading the charge to destroy America. For Jazz to tell us that watching Morning Joe makes his day says a lot to explain why some of his writings leave me scratching my head as to why he working on Hot Gas.com.

RickinNH on February 17, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Jazz, your dad sounds a lot like my Scottish grandmother. She was a bigot, racist, anti-Semite, hated Catholics (especially Irish ones) and was certainly a product of her upbringing. Buchanan suffers much of the same. He’s an anti-Semite, paleo-conservative from another era. Pat’s a bright guy, but he is a man from another time. His last book was a mess and maybe it is time to put Pat out to pasture. I don’t like MSNBC for hundreds of reasons, but maybe they did the right thing by saying goodbye to Pat. He does not speak for many modern conservatives, and is a bit of an embarrassment, especially when liberals are happy to paint him as the face of conservatism.

simkeith on February 17, 2012 at 7:17 PM

A liberal pressure group called Color of Change decided that it was racist

Van Jones’ front group, which is a front group for George Soros, which collaborated with Media Matters.

SouthernGent on February 17, 2012 at 7:18 PM

I assume they hired him after a cost-benefit analysis, and fired him on the same principle. They could have hired a non-circus performer instead of Pat but chose not to. He has nothing to complain about. If they’d sacked, say, a Charles Murray or a Thomas Sowell, it would be more vexing (*employs Buckley intonation*).

Seth Halpern on February 17, 2012 at 7:22 PM

I’ve never been a big fan of Pat Buchanan, though there were things about him I had to respect.

But it looks like the straw that broke the camel’s back — the “trigger” as Buchanan puts it — was that he said homosexual acts were unnatural and immoral. So while the impression may be given that he was just accused of racism, it appears it was due to the triple whammy “Racist! Homophobe! Antisemite!”

Obviously, MSNBC has no leg to stand on to call Buchanan a racist, considering they gave Al Sharpton the Racial Arsonist his own show.

tom on February 17, 2012 at 7:22 PM

mountainaires on February 17, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Or they will teach us all how to pick up a dog turd by the clean end!

RFA on February 17, 2012 at 7:22 PM

He’ll still be on McLaughlin group, he’s generally OK there.

22044 on February 17, 2012 at 7:25 PM

maybe now Pat can have have a show with Obama’s grandma. Maybe call it under the bus

rik on February 17, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Buchananm from the chapter of his book titled “‘The White Party’”:

What the above points to is a strategy from which Republicans will recoil, a strategy to increase the GOP share of the white Christian vote and increase the turnout of that vote by specific appeals to social, cultural, and moral issues, and for equal justice for the emerging white minority. If the GOP is not the party of New Haven firefighter Frank Ricci and Cambridge cop James Crowley, it has no future. And although Howard Dean disparages the Republicans as the “white party,” why should Republicans be ashamed to represent the progeny of the men who founded, built, and defended America since her birth as a nation?

But go ahead, shake his hand, let him hang his hat, lionize him as a misunderstood victim of leftist PC and multiculturalism . . . Ugh. He’s a racist, pure and simple, and you should be glad to be rid of him. Oh, and all that racism back in the day didn’t just ‘die out’ because a new generation somehow magically ‘learned’ not to be racist. Talk about historical amnesia. You know, that civil rights movement that Reagan and Nixon hated & that you all like to mock had a lot to do with it. Good riddance to racist trash.

lostmotherland on February 17, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Pat Buchanan is a mediocre-at-best-on-a-good-day intellect whose discourse has never risen above provocative bombast. He is an a**, and he has been a chancre sore on the face of conservatism for decades now. That he has been sacked by a puerile network nocturnal emission such as LSDNBC should be his epitaph. F’ him.

M240H on February 17, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Jazz, I too tolerate bigotry. I’d rather hear it than someone keep it to themselves. And I hear plenty of it, as there is “politically correct” bigotry that isn’t censored, about how blacks should act or else they aren’t black, about how whites are haters, about how the rich are selfish.

What is with the flood of people suspended or fired for saying something “offensive”? What is personally offensive to me, what is a personal affront to me, I don’t make that other people’s problem. Say Jews are greedy, Irish are drunk, Italians are greaseballs, and on and on … so what! I believe society would benefit from the airing of such sentiments. But, no. We can’t have that. Can’t have people saying what they believe!

Why is offensive speech to be so excoriated? Is it because there might be a germ of truth in it? I think so. If there is a germ of truth, then let’s hear it.

Did you know Pat Buchanan’s uncle died in a concentration camp? Yeah. He fell out of a guard tower. *rimshot*

Paul-Cincy on February 17, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Who silenced him? Firing him from MSNBC a low rated “Supposedly” cable news network. Is hardly silencing Pat Buchanan. The last time I looked that low rated network wasn’t exactly attracting eyeballs or A list talent. What is stopping Pat Buchanan from appearing on other networks radio etc…now that he’s no longer under contract with MSNBC?

I don’t agree with Pat Buchanan, I don’t look through the glass darkly. I’m not an isolationist, and his Balkanization rhetoric get’s old real fast. Skin display not withstanding, human beings have been mixing and moving around this planet for a long, long time and it doesn’t look like it’s going to stop anytime soon.

Still it’s a free country, and if the black panther’s can wave clubs out in front of polling station in Philadelphia, Pat Buchanan can at least express himself inelegantly.

Dr Evil on February 17, 2012 at 7:37 PM

“He hated black people. And Asians. And Jews and Mormons. (He would have hated Muslims if we’d had any around our farm country back in the day.) His opinions of women would enrage any modern feminist. In short, my Dad hated pretty much anybody who wasn’t… him. He was brought up that way. My grandfather never got over Pearl Harbor and, when I was a child, he once told me that Japanese people were the result of mad scientists’ experiments breeding Chinese people with Gorillas.”

That isn’t like Pat Buchanan at all.

I admit I haven’t read his most recent book. But he is not riled by hatred about other races: he believes that other groups pursue their own interests and America should too.

He also, I suspect, knows there are fundamental biological differences between different racial groups (with both Chinese and Japanese faring fairly well insofar as intelligence and lower tendencies toward crime — biologically, probably the result of both lower testosterone and larger prefrontal lobes and brains generally).

It may suck that the creator of our species — natural selection — didn’t keep all members of our species identical in each and every trait as we spread to different geographical areas, walking and taking small boats (actually, it doesn’t suck at all — this evolution and adapting to fit different niches helped us survive, and become somewhat different than each other) … but that’s how the ball bounces.

Acknowledging reality does not equal hatred. Maybe your father was a hateful man, but you’re out of line here.

Random on February 17, 2012 at 7:38 PM

You know, rather than try to defend Buchanan, who has said some things I could never endorse, maybe conservatives should just start a pressure group to demand Al Sharpton be fired. After all, he’s a huge racist!

I’m kidding, of course. We know MSNBC doesn’t care about conservative pressure groups, and conservatives don’t really believe in getting people fired because of their racism.

Not even Al Sharpton, who really deserves it.

tom on February 17, 2012 at 7:39 PM

simkeith on February 17, 2012 at 7:17 PM

bingo, the only reason i personally felt that MSNBC let Pat prattle on as the “token conservative” was because he was the safe caricature of conservatives that far left ideologues and liberals have in their head, and his presence was a sort of lethargic affirmation of their own prejudices, this is a man who praised hitler and commonly used anti-semtic language,and commonly used racist tropes, to have him on a network with Al Sharpton was fitting, 2 sides of the same coin.

But the heat from their Puppet masters got a bit to much to handle, make no mistake, this was a purely internal decision, both media matters and this color of change outfit are financed and run by george soros, there is no distinction, and MSNBC at this point simply regurgitates what MM puts out. This was not a “public pressure” move, it was merely a internal corporate decision amongst ideological and financial shareholders.

golembythehudson on February 17, 2012 at 7:44 PM

“… the press are more corrupt even than I think people think….” – Tucker Carlson

mountainaires on February 17, 2012 at 7:44 PM

there are fundamental biological differences between different racial groups

Wow.

lostmotherland on February 17, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Wow.

lostmotherland on February 17, 2012 at 7:47 PM

That’s what racial groups are. What else do you think they would be?

Random on February 17, 2012 at 7:49 PM

liberal4life on February 17, 2012 at 6:51 PM

I feel honored that you are a poster here as radical liberal for the life of the unborn!

Cheers!

Conservative4Ever on February 17, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I mean it’s on a continuum, it’s fuzzy lines with lots of admixture, but it is biological.

Random on February 17, 2012 at 7:50 PM

to have a bigot on the air is an insult to the grave of MLK

liberal4life on February 17, 2012 at 6:51 PM

so you say fire Al sharpton then? fine by me and while we are at it we should have the man haters fired,

unseen on February 17, 2012 at 7:52 PM

The sins of Pat
not a liberal
not a comedian
not an artist

rik on February 17, 2012 at 7:52 PM

There is never a word about the anti-Semitic hysteria that characterizes the Left. This anti-Semitic plague motivates OWS and is the consensus opinion among Euro Leftists.

vilebody on February 17, 2012 at 7:52 PM

liberal4life on February 17, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Why do lefties hate Col. West?

Schadenfreude on February 17, 2012 at 7:53 PM

liberal4life on February 17, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Fire Maxine Waters and Sheila Lee Jackson, then, and Belafonte, and so many more.

Schadenfreude on February 17, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Race is not a fundamental biological difference. Do your homework.

lostmotherland on February 17, 2012 at 7:56 PM

John and Ken were taken off the air for a time.

Freedom of speech, even if disgusting, is just for the left.

The lefties are the least truly liberal and progressive.

They restrict the freedoms of others, not realizing how they lose their own.

In the Military today they “service the target”, I’m not kidding you. They no longer shoot or bomb to kill.

PC will kill us all. I hope the lefties will be in the first lines.

Schadenfreude on February 17, 2012 at 7:56 PM

I have a lot of hate of my own.
Obama, his wife, DWS, Reid, Nancy, in fact every Dem and every GOP who voted for ObamaCare. OWS, the idiots who voted for Obama and will vote for him again…
I have plenty of hate of my own.

Pecos on February 17, 2012 at 8:00 PM

ostmotherland on February 17, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Pat Buchanan is not a racist; that you would stoop to such lies is a reflection of your own racist bigotry. But worse, it’s a reflection of your ignorance. To read the quote you posted is to realize that you actually believe this is the sum total of an argument made for the purpose of advocating “the white party.” What is so breathtaking is that you are so ignorant, so pathetically uninformed, and illiterate, that you don’t even comprehend the argument being made, and have twisted it into something entirely different. It’s shocking that you would do it; but it’s more shocking that you think you’re right in doing it. The sad truth is, this nation is in decline. Here’s Buchanan’s take on the reason why. I agree with it; and so do many of my black friends and family members.

mountainaires on February 17, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Race is not a fundamental biological difference. Do your homework.

lostmotherland on February 17, 2012 at 7:56 PM

You’re ignorant (and probably a moron) and the person you cited is a moron on steroids. This is more to the point:

If races are defined as genetically discrete groups, no. But researchers can use some genetic information to group individuals into clusters with medical relevance

(i.e.., it’s biological)

Among the differences are serum testosterone levels, which make a massive difference in behavior, and partly explain different violent crime rates for different groups. Also, brain size is different for different groups.

These are, of course, averages and trends and say nothing about a specific individual … however the relative frequency of different traits vary across races and sub-populations.

Denying this is your right, but it is nonsense.

Random on February 17, 2012 at 8:07 PM

liberal4life on February 17, 2012 at 6:51 PM

I did not go beyond this comment, I stopped and quoted. You are gone, whacked, useless and utterly predictable. I can only hope the rest of your years are filled with misery and disappointment. May you die alone and terrified! (and I’m being as charitable as I can be)

dmann on February 17, 2012 at 8:14 PM

It is 2012 and we should not be entertaining racists

liberal4life

Or re-electing them.

ABO.

xblade on February 17, 2012 at 8:15 PM

There are many, many examples, but this is just one:

Additional evidence of aboriginal superiority at spatial relations is supplied by Kearins (1988). She found that when day care children (4 to 4.5 years of age) were asked to indicate by pointing the direction to their home, 58% of the aboriginal children were correct while none of the university day care center children could do this and only 5% of those in an urban blue collar center, while the aboriginal children were significantly worse at knowing their addresses, ages, or at counting than were the white children. The aboriginal children were also significantly better at the kindergarten game of fishing (catching artificial fish) which required speed and manual dexterity.

A possible explanation for the aboriginal advantage in spatial memory is provided by (Klekamp et al.,1994) who report that Australian aboriginals have a larger visual cortex than Caucasians.

Now it’s only one data point in a much larger set, but the fact is, Australian aboriginals are different than I am.

This doesn’t bother me or cause me to shutter. Nature is like that. Other than an identical twin, I have no genetic equal. Just different.

Nature does different.

Random on February 17, 2012 at 8:15 PM

*shudder

Random on February 17, 2012 at 8:16 PM

In case this hasn’t been mentioned Pat is going to be on Hannity tonight.

bluefox on February 17, 2012 at 8:16 PM

I haven’t read the book, but I read the linked article and Buchanan’s column. Seems like he’s catching flak for reasons similar to the authors of The Bell Curve.

He’s certainly said much more incendiary things in the past.

So, yeah, must be the homosexual thing.

Syzygy on February 17, 2012 at 8:16 PM

liberal4life on February 17, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Jack Kennedy and Lenny Bruce disagree with your rubbish.

Wade on February 17, 2012 at 8:19 PM

It is 2012 and we should not be entertaining racists

liberal4life

or allow idiots to post

Wade on February 17, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Charles Murray, the author I’m most familiar with, has done brilliant work. He and his co-author were instrumental behind welfare reform and the thinking that went into improving the system.

lostmotherland, if you want to here Murray debate Mike Flynn, the man for whom the “Flynn effect” is named (that IQ rates are generally increasing), and listen to both sides of the debate, at least as it involves two population groups and America, this is interesting.

The Black-White IQ Gap: James Flynn vs. Charles Murray

Less controversial; but to my mind while probably still true, supported by less actual empirical evidence yet much common sense; you can instead listen to Murray’s views on Education here:

Charles Murray on Education Myths

… if you just can’t bring yourself to watch the first one.

Random on February 17, 2012 at 8:23 PM

In 1991, Buckley wrote an a lengthy essay that he expanded to book form wherein he reached the unhappy conclusion that Buchanan was indeed an anti-Semite. Make of that what you will.

thebrokenrattle on February 17, 2012 at 8:27 PM

But they keep the people who really are foam at the mouth hating major a-holes?

Speakup on February 17, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Random on February 17, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Shhh… Facts are bad when they don’t uphold utopian ideas.

DrMagnolias on February 17, 2012 at 8:33 PM

thebrokenrattle on February 17, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Buckley was under enormous pressure by the neo-con elites to conduct a purge of the conservative movement. The same scurrilous attacks had been aimed at him, especially during the McCarthy era and during the early years of National Review. It was one of the dimmest chapters in a mostly productive career.

vilebody on February 17, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Did Pat Buchanan say “black people’s greed runs a world in need”?

Now that would be racist.

slickwillie2001 on February 17, 2012 at 8:38 PM

MSNBC is a kept whore, hooked on hypocrisy, ball gagged to the truth while shackled to the alter of opportunism…all in for Obama!

dmann on February 17, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Most of you do realize, of course, that MSNBC kept Patrick ‘Hitler was a great man’ Buchanan on as a kind of geek show conservative, where liberals could watch him metaphorically bite the heads off chickens every time he started holding forth on ‘the undue influence of the Jewish Lobby’ or make some other scurrilous claim in order to reassure themselves that Buchanan was representative of all of us on the right.

Buchanan is no conservative. He’s an ugly, nasty piece of work and I fervently hope he crawls off and disappears into the darkness of the fringe, where he belongs.

troyriser_gopftw on February 17, 2012 at 8:42 PM

troyriser_gopftw on February 17, 2012 at 8:42 PM

thanks for your opinion……..next!

dmann on February 17, 2012 at 8:45 PM

vilebody on February 17, 2012 at 8:38 PM

I’m going to start defining myself as a neoconservative even though I’m not an elite or Jewish or whatever else that term might encompass, if only because Ron Paul true believers and Pat Buchanan paleoconservatives hate them so much. If Ron Paul and Pat Buchanan think of them as the enemy, neoconservatives must be doing something right.

troyriser_gopftw on February 17, 2012 at 8:46 PM

I was always amused by the fact that Pat Buchanan was the only member of the Nixon White House staff that Hunter S. Thompson ever had anything good to say about.

Mr. Arkadin on February 17, 2012 at 8:48 PM

thanks for your opinion……..next!

dmann on February 17, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Okay, sport: suppose a guy comes up and tells you he thinks Adolf Hitler was a great man, a victim of bad press. Do you (a) Punch the guy in the nose; or (b) Embrace him as a brother and invite him down to the local Klavern for a drink?

I’m guessing (b), amirite?

troyriser_gopftw on February 17, 2012 at 8:48 PM

troyriser_gopftw on February 17, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Silly goose, Pat is much smarter than Adolf………what a ridiculous hypothetical!

dmann on February 17, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Mr. Arkadin on February 17, 2012 at 8:48 PM

In the new AmeriKa; Fear and Loathing can only reside in the minority community where it is accepted and encouraged. Whitey best be working………someone has to pay the bills.

All Hail the Messiah!

dmann on February 17, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Watch out, Joe Scarborough, you’re next. “Morning Mika” won’t have the same ring, though.

Decoski on February 17, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Buchanan is a contemptible scumbag who both admires and defends Adolf Hitler. F**k him.

MadisonConservative on February 17, 2012 at 9:18 PM

troyriser_gopftw on February 17, 2012 at 8:46 PM

We are apparently doing something right….see how powerful we are….we MADE Buckley write that essay. :P

thebrokenrattle on February 17, 2012 at 9:19 PM

lostmotherland on February 17, 2012 at 7:30 PM

What planet do you live on? That quote is the best you can come up with as your proof that he is a monstrous racist foul human being? I agree with his statement fully. You equate white people with evil. That’s the only reasonable explanation for your reaction. Buchanan’s statement is a logical point of view without any references that would demean a group of people. You are the one spewing hatred and smearing someone falsely with name calling.

Jerry Bear on February 17, 2012 at 9:20 PM

MadisonConservative on February 17, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Lay off the weed…………..

dmann on February 17, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Good riddance to racist trash.

lostmotherland on February 17, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Resist we much? The good folks at MSNBC don’t have a problem with racists per se, just with those who don’t share their political views. Left-wing approved racists and anti-Semites are still welcome.

cicerone on February 17, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Well, some of the things Pat said in his book are really bad. He said that segregation was a good thing and he also said that it was a good thing that black people can’t get cabs in New York. But still, if MSNBC fired every person who said something bad, they wouldn’t have anybody left on their network.

SoulGlo on February 17, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Typical liberal hypocrisy.

Nice job MSLSD.

LevinFan on February 17, 2012 at 9:31 PM

MadisonConservative on February 17, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Read his book you foul mouthed ignoramus. You obviously have no clue what you are talking about.

Jerry Bear on February 17, 2012 at 9:34 PM

SoulGlo on February 17, 2012 at 9:28 PM

I don’t think you read the book did you?

dmann on February 17, 2012 at 9:36 PM

I don’t think you read the book did you?

dmann on February 17, 2012 at 9:36 PM

These are quotes from his book you idiot. Did you read the book? Or are you just kissing Pat Buchanan’s butt because you like him?

SoulGlo on February 17, 2012 at 9:43 PM

SoulGlo on February 17, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Did you get those quotes from Media Matters or something? I havent read his mot recent book but I seriously doubt he said those things. Go crawl back into your hole.

Jerry Bear on February 17, 2012 at 9:51 PM

SoulGlo on February 17, 2012 at 9:43 PM

They are not quotes, and thanks for the personal assault, I didn’t resort to name calling did I….a$$hole?

dmann on February 17, 2012 at 9:52 PM