Planned Parenthood president: Battle with Komen had a “wonderful” ending

posted at 2:30 pm on February 17, 2012 by Tina Korbe

At a Planned Parenthood awards luncheon in Dallas yesterday, PP president Cecile Richards reiterated that all is well between her organization and the Susan G. Komen Foundation now that Komen will again consider Planned Parenthood as a potential recipient for its breast cancer research and prevention grant money.

“The good news – the wonderful ending to this story – is that Komen and Planned Parenthood are here together in this room in fact today, working together again,” Richards said at a Planned Parenthood awards luncheon, according to the Dallas News.

Richards told the newspaper in a separate interview that some questions still remain and added that she has yet to personally speak with Komen founder Nancy Brinker, but said, “these relationships are picking up right where they left off.”

“The minute the national office made the decision to reverse course, calls and meetings started happening immediately,” the abortion company’s CEO added. “And I think that’s how it will go, which is great.”

Well, sure, if you’re Cecile Richards, the battle ended wonderfully. But I can think of a few people for whom the ending to the funding scuffle wasn’t so “wonderful”:

1. First and foremost, it wasn’t a “wonderful” ending for the unborn babies who are unable to voice their case to Ms. Richards. Money is fungible and more money for Planned Parenthood means more money for abortions, plain and simple. If even one mother who is on the fence about whether to give birth to her unborn child decides to have an abortion because Komen donations to Planned Parenthood make the procedure that much more easily accessible, then this was the very opposite of a wonderful ending. For that matter, it’s a horrific ending for those undecided mothers, too, who will suffer in ways Ms. Richards would probably prefer not to address.
  2. Secondly, women with breast cancer lost out. Very few Planned Parenthood clinics actually offer mammograms; the money that goes to PP could be more efficiently put to use to combat cancer.
  3. Pro-lifers who would like to be able to donate to the cause of eliminating breast cancer once again have to make a hard choice: Will they support Komen and risk that their dollars might unintentionally fund abortions? Many pro-life would-be donors will opt not to give, which circles back to No. 2: Women with breast cancer will suffer for decreased donations from pro-lifers.
  4. Pro-life personnel at Susan G. Komen also got the shaft. Karen Handel actually flat-out resigned her position. Definitely not such a delightful conclusion to this story for her.

It’d be nice if Ms. Richards would at least not rub it in that Planned Parenthood successfully bullied Komen into caving. Her inability to empathize with the other side in this battle convinces me she’d not be a person from whom I’d want to seek help if I had an unexpected “women’s health” problem.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

not for the unborn it didn’t.

Lost in Jersey on February 17, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Not for Komen though, who will suffer for the exposure.

FlaMurph on February 17, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Yeah, whatever.

If your organization’s clients could give someone a happy ending once in a while, you’d have less business.

teke184 on February 17, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Strong arming and intimidating folks has a tendency to work out in your favor, or “wonderfully”.

Of course she feels great about it, I want to call her illicit names.

Boomer_Sooner on February 17, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Hasn’t worked out so well for Komen. According to our local papers, the Komen organization here in southern AZ has seen its contributions drop by more than 30% since the controversy with PP.

AZCoyote on February 17, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Hmmm, maybe charities should succumb to hyperpartisan policies.

Pablo Honey on February 17, 2012 at 2:34 PM

ATHEIST UPDATE ?????????

Eph on February 17, 2012 at 2:35 PM

She looks like a Stepford Wife.

crazy_legs on February 17, 2012 at 2:35 PM

How wonderful it is that you can have your revenue stream in so close to you that you can shiv them in the ribs if they so much as *think* of getting out of line.

Ahhhhh, how wonderful./

ted c on February 17, 2012 at 2:35 PM

I would no more give money to Komen at this point than I would give it directly to PP. So, depending on how many more there are like me… we’ll see how “wonderful” Komen finds it to be in the long run.

Murf76 on February 17, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Give a big ‘shout-out’ to the 26 US Senators who demanded this too.

Jeff2161 on February 17, 2012 at 2:36 PM

PP did to Komen what Barack Obama does to babies that survives abortions. Same with that Gosnell character in Philly that you ain’t be hearin’ nothin’ about no more.

ted c on February 17, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Don’t forget that Komen is now complicity in PP’s efforts to get teens addicted to sex.

red_herring on February 17, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Just think – in this warped woman’s, warped mind – the “wonderful thing” is the continued financing of the extermination machinery.

These people remind me of SS death camp fanatics.

OhEssYouCowboys on February 17, 2012 at 2:38 PM

AZCoyote on February 17, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Since no PP’s in AZ offer mammograms, wouldn’t referrals be basically a poster with a phone number ?

Jeff2161 on February 17, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Absolute murdering scum operating friendly neighborhood Aushwitz’s = Planned Parenthood.

Never mind the smell of the burning ashes, that’s just the smell of women’s health.

NoDonkey on February 17, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Heartless, hedonistic scum.

rplat on February 17, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Ahh, how wonderful a fully-funded pile of dead children……

/PP/

ted c on February 17, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Well, are there any organizations dedicated to eliminating breast cancer that are also pro-life?
How about a link?

Dexter_Alarius on February 17, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Komen and PP scored big money from Pro-Lifers.

I knew Komen would cave… I don’t know why the pro-Lifers didn’t.

mankai on February 17, 2012 at 2:40 PM

There are reservations in hell awaiting.

Joe Mama on February 17, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Frankly, I agree with her, because it made me–and I hope others also–realize that Komen contributes to Planned Parenthood. Before this scuffle, I had no idea. I will now never again participate in any Komen walk for cancer; I will never wear a pink ribbon; I will never contribute to Komen ever again; and I will encourage others not to do so also. I wish I had known this years ago.

guitarman67 on February 17, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Komen is out in my book. No more $ from me.

multiuseless on February 17, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Inability? C’mon sistah girl. It’s unwillingness to realize that these were voluntary contributions to PP. It’s the if you “give a moose a muffin” story. Once you’ve given these people one thing, its an entitlement and endorsement of their full agenda.

ted c on February 17, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Hitmen are scary dudes, even when they’re women.

RBMN on February 17, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Honest journalism. I bet they panicked. If one stops, what will stop it from snow-balling out of control? The plebes MUST be kept in line.

Jeff2161 on February 17, 2012 at 2:43 PM

That’s not a hard choice at all.

Screw Komen. It’s not there aren’t other breast cancer research labs that will take donations.

Or you could donate to other cancer research. Despite what the feminist propaganda wants us to believe, breast cancer is neither the most common cancer nor the most deadly.

mankai on February 17, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Of course one of those questions wasn’t about the link between abortion and breast cancer. Or even about the link to abortions and other forms of cancer. They have such a misleading name. They’re not about parenting at all, they’re in the business of keeping people from becoming parents in the first place. Of course that is what Margaret Sanger had in mind to begin with. Can’t have minorities having too many babies, that would upset Darwin’s grand scheme.

Tommy_G on February 17, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Apparently, no one has ever asked Cecile “Was it good for you, too baby?”, so she had to do it herself.

MikeinPRCA on February 17, 2012 at 2:46 PM

The only clear lesson here to any Komen-like organization is that unless you plan on giving Planned Murderhood money for life, DO NOT EVER SEND THEM A DIME.

Once they own, THEY OWN YOU!

Talon on February 17, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Reminder: Everyone is free to refuse to buy any product with a pink ribbon on it.

kunegetikos on February 17, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Just think jow great it’ll be when President Santorum signs the law defunding PP.

Iblis on February 17, 2012 at 2:46 PM

They won.

We don’t have to like it (and I don’t) but did you really expect anything less when you’ve got a tool like Obama setting the tone for “victories” such as this?

Rufus on February 17, 2012 at 2:48 PM

To paraphrase, concerning SBK fondation, PP president Cecile Richards means, SBK foundation is OUR B-Iches!!

gonnjos on February 17, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Awww … what a nice story! The leftist hordes were unleashed on Komen and they backed down. No one was hurt and oodles of cash will now be transferred from donors to a baby butchering outfit.

darwin on February 17, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Cecile Urgently Needs Therapy.

MadisonConservative on February 17, 2012 at 2:49 PM

I know dozens of folks who used to support Komen here in Seattle and would participate in the Race for the Cure. I still have my pink shirt from some years ago. We are part of a group from a Catholic Church.

No more. I and many others simply will not participate nor contribute.

They should have stayed out of this fight. Why did they even align themselves with PP in the first place?

What a shame.

Opposite Day on February 17, 2012 at 2:49 PM

When I see everybody wearing pink, on tv, I always think –

Man, oh man, I’m so glad that men don’t get cancer, anymore.

I am so relieved.

OhEssYouCowboys on February 17, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Makes my life simpler: any Komen mail now gets deposited in the garbage can before it even enters the house.

Thanks, Cece!

Kraken on February 17, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Really kind of wondering what this broad makes in a year.

BigWyo on February 17, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Cecile Urgently Needs Therapy.

MadisonConservative on February 17, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Thanks for the laugh – and for the deviousness.

Good job.

OhEssYouCowboys on February 17, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Well, well, well. So you think you’ve had a “wonderful ending”? Not quite, silly female. The “ending” you brag about is just the beginning. What do I mean? You will find that out when you stand before the Righteous Judge, Jesus Christ, and explain your wickedness to the One Whose eyes are as flames of fire. You, and all your cohorts and enablers will learn the hard way that all the blood you have shed will be required at your filthy hands. Your Pepsodent smile will vanish in a hurry, Toots.

Gordy on February 17, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Iblis on February 17, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Vice President Daniels will be sanding right next to him with a look of satisfaction on his face.

Tommy_G on February 17, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Some areas have seen 30% drop in contributions.Make mine 100%.

docflash on February 17, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Wow, she looks like one smug b!tch.

DuctTapeMyBrain on February 17, 2012 at 2:51 PM

“But, but, but, now women will have access to preventative care at no cost.”
/liboff

Methinks Komen didn’t value their mass increase of donations from pro-lifers. A mistake we won’t easily forgive.

nobar on February 17, 2012 at 2:51 PM

I learned the left gets really, really mad when you don’t pay them protection money.

darwin on February 17, 2012 at 2:52 PM

That is a whole lot of evil behind that smile. To gloat over more opportunities for abortion is a twisted soul indeed.

Skwor on February 17, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Lady, you are one evil person. As Gordy says above, you are in for a big shock when you stand before Christ. A very big shock….

chai on February 17, 2012 at 2:52 PM

If you’ve ever had the luxury to visit Planned Parenthood’s facebook page, you will see that those people are completely insane. Her picture shows her to be a cold, lifeless soul.

SouthernGent on February 17, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Gordy on February 17, 2012 at 2:50 PM

YUP!

Talon on February 17, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Keep fighting!

A battle has been lost, but Komen does not have to receive your donations in the fight against breast cancer. Give to your local cancer hospitals instead. We will win more battles and eventually the war. PP’s pervert phallus video is just another display of what they are really about. Keep up the fight. They must be defunded of our tax dollars.

mwbri on February 17, 2012 at 2:55 PM

chai on February 17, 2012 at 2:52 PM

I agree with your sentiment, and Gordy’s, but she’ll be bowing:

Romans 14:11 – For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.

[12] So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

OhEssYouCowboys on February 17, 2012 at 2:57 PM

What a vile woman.

tyketto on February 17, 2012 at 2:57 PM

It is not just pro-lifers who will stop giving. I am a pro-choice republican, but that doesn’t mean I want to fund this stuff. No way. Only the rabid pro-choicers will continue to give, I suspect many, like me, who aren’t active or interested in the conflict, will find better places for their charitable dollars and that is too bad.

bopbottle on February 17, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Be classy, Ms. Richards. Don’t let your testosterone get the best of you.

MNHawk on February 17, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Wow that picture… is that what Rachel Madcow looks like without the makeup?

meci on February 17, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Hey, there is nothing more “wonderful” than the sound of babies being murdered – Right?

Pork-Chop on February 17, 2012 at 2:58 PM

So many good posts in this thread.

It’s made my day.

OhEssYouCowboys on February 17, 2012 at 2:59 PM

chai on February 17, 2012 at 2:52 PM

I don’t think she’s playing for our side….just sayin it takes more than walking upright and opposable thumbs to make you human.

Beast vs Human

Human beings don’t take pride in killing their own spices, and gloating about strong arming charities that were created to save lives.

Dr Evil on February 17, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Didn’t ELO sing about her?

Evil Woman…

kingsjester on February 17, 2012 at 3:00 PM

red_herring on February 17, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Dammit! Now I want herring!

Lanceman on February 17, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Species not Spice, browser’s spell check.

Dr Evil on February 17, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Komen only promised to continue to consider PP for grants, not to award them any actual money.

A prudent course would be to withhold money from Komen until the next grant cycle, and see what they do.

There are those who say this issue was a lever to get rid of the VP who pushed the policy, not the policy itself.

Adjoran on February 17, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Gordy on February 17, 2012 at 2:50 PM
So right Gordy, I was thinking the exact same thing! The battle is just beginning. Every PP crony will stand before Jesus one day and give account for EVERY baby they have murdered. I want front row seats.

mcplumbercuda on February 17, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Having a hard time convincing folks that giving money to an organization (whether there is personal benefit from the contribution or not) constitutes an endorsement of the organization’s agenda.

There won’t be any pink for me, nor will I join AARP, or NARAL, or NORML, or any of those progressive shell organizations. How do I convince conservatives that the benefits they get from AARP cost the organization nothing, and by contributing they are not receiving benefit, but positive harm from AARP’s using their money to fund and endorse everything progressive?

Soooo frustrating!

jclittlep on February 17, 2012 at 3:03 PM

I didn’t find the choice difficult at all. Komen gets not another dime from me. I will miss the annual 5k, but there are lot of those everywhere.

CantCureStupid on February 17, 2012 at 3:03 PM

creepiest. smile. ever

Sachiko on February 17, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Cecile Richards: Minister of Abortions

BobMbx on February 17, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Does this mean the NFL won’t be sporting pink shoes next season, or are we going to hear how the NFL supports abortion?

BobMbx on February 17, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Abortion Czarina

ted c on February 17, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Repulsive. I hope Satan is sharpening a nice little spike in the 7th circle of Hades for this execrable baby killer.

natasha333 on February 17, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Choice for me but not for thee…

mabelee on February 17, 2012 at 3:09 PM

On PBS and some cable networks you will frequently see real life medical shows and documentary style programming which feature surgery as it happens – blood and muscles and bone and beating hearts, etc. The real stuff – not for the squeamish. Why doesn’t FOX do so with an abortion? Promote it heavily and play it in Prime Time on, say, Monday night. If it’s really just another procedure there should be no qualms about making an “event” of the procedure. And, if it’s NOT just another procedure…well, then it really is NOT just another procedure then, is it? Show the ultrasound before the abortion, the images as the doctor aborts the fetus – even show the fetus after it has been removed. Again, if it’s just another procedure, the left should have no moral dilemma about Fox presenting the program to American audiences. Let people see it. I’ve seen open heart surgeries in all their bloody glory on regular television. Why not an abortion?

JasperBallbaggins on February 17, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Darn right. I already feel like a shmuck for having donated to all those pink ribbon things in the past. I’m embarrassed and ashamed that I actually contributed money that went toward abortions. Well from now on I’ll do my homework before writing that check. Not saying I won’t help in fighting breast cancer, but the Koman foundation won’t get a penny more from me.

WarEagle01 on February 17, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Tina, I think she meant wonderful from her perspective.

MrLambyLamb on February 17, 2012 at 3:12 PM

It had a beatiful ending. A backwards dark ages proponent responsible for ruining Komen’s name gets kicked out, and things are back to how they should be.

mythicknight on February 17, 2012 at 3:12 PM

natasha333 on February 17, 2012 at 3:07 PM
The best out come would be for her to see the error of her ways and repent, and expose PP for what it is, like the lady who wrote the book “Unplanned”. But if that doesn’t happen… then yes 7th circle of Hades for this woman…

mcplumbercuda on February 17, 2012 at 3:12 PM

What’s up when ‘battle’ describes your relationship with a generous cancer prevention funding agency?

Plus, it did not have a wonderful end. PP is only being considered for funding. That’s not the same as receiving funds, Ms. Richards, and Congress is not done investigating.

LetsBfrank on February 17, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Really kind of wondering what this broad makes in a year.

BigWyo on February 17, 2012 at 2:49 PM

About $400,000 a year.!

Not bad, for killin’ defenseless babies.
Maybe I should look into becoming a Merc more seriously…

orbitalair on February 17, 2012 at 3:15 PM

What’s up RINO’s Apocalypse aka The Truth Teller (Props to all ANTI-EST people)

apocalypse on February 17, 2012 at 3:15 PM

ted c on February 17, 2012 at 2:37 PM

TRUE!
(and what a… B E Y A T C H…she is!)

KOOLAID2 on February 17, 2012 at 3:16 PM

It will be interesting to see what Tim Tebow and so many other pro-life NFL players do next season. Will they wear the Komen pink for a month?

boko fittleworth on February 17, 2012 at 3:17 PM

mythicknight on February 17, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Absolutely! PP was now able to order those stainless steel skull piercing scissors they need.

darwin on February 17, 2012 at 3:17 PM

JasperBallbaggins on February 17, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Because what the devil does in darkness he wants to keep in darkness. Although I have been praying this evil organization be exposed. There is a scripture in Luke that says , what is done in darkness will be brought to light. I think the Liberal’s heads would explode
if an abortion were performed on TV and the tide would turn. I would say 90% if not higher of people who are “pro-choice” have no idea what really goes on in an abortion office…and the other 10% well, they are just EVIL.

mcplumbercuda on February 17, 2012 at 3:17 PM

The Komen pink ribbon is now synonymous with the murder of millions of unwanted babies.

Watch support and money for Komen dry up and in doing so, will the funding for the baby murdering Planned Parenthood abortion mills.

Robert Jensen on February 17, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Tina Korbe on Feb 17, 2012 2:30 PM

Much respect to Tina Korbe for listing facts in order of importance

apocalypse on February 17, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Choice for me but not for thee…

mabelee on February 17, 2012 at 3:09 PM

The left is pure evil.

darwin on February 17, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Killing unborn babies is my business, and business is good. Things turned out better than expected.

I already went back to what it was before. No money donated to Susan G. Komen Foundation, whatsoever. I do not buy and will not buy their pink branded crap. I have and will again go out of my way to avoid their pink branded crap. I do not and will not patronize any and all businesses and/or service providers that support the Susan G. Komen Foundation. Unfortunately, if I want electricity and natural gas I have to patronize my monopoly power utility that is also a huge supporter. Other than that… the Susan G. Komen Foundation has elected to cave to baby murdering serial killers and I will have nothing to voluntarily do with that foundation, ever.

SD Tom on February 17, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Komen funds abortions. That’s all there is to it.

Komen is no longer a breast-cancer organization. They are an abortion mill that funds abortion providers and takes donations to kill babies.

northdallasthirty on February 17, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Robert Jensen on February 17, 2012 at 3:17 PM

HEADLINE:

WH Bailout for PP; ‘The abortion industry is too big to fail’ says Obama, Sec. Syphilis.

BobMbx on February 17, 2012 at 3:20 PM

No, they have demonstrated their willingness to give to murderers–they WILL do it again. Besides, once a large organization like that has your money, you have no control over their use of it.

The PRUDENT course would be to give to only small, local charities that are more easily known or monitored. That is the only place my contributions go now.

guitarman67 on February 17, 2012 at 3:22 PM

ted c on February 17, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Dr. Mengele, the Angel of Death

BobMbx on February 17, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Wanna shout out to the 180 movie… I suggest you watch it if you think no one can change your mind about the horror of abortion

apocalypse on February 17, 2012 at 3:23 PM

I stopped giving money to PP almost 20 years ago when their major focus was on abortions – anytime, anywhere, any age. With the Komen Foundation caving into these radical women at PP – my support for them will now be zero.

IlonaE on February 17, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Too bad you didn’t have the gumption and guts to mention the difference between your outfit and Komen, Cecile!

Komen is about the preservation of life.

Planned Parenthood is about the ending of it.

pilamaye on February 17, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Trivia: Richards is the daughter of Ann Richards, the last Democrat governor of TX, for the foreseeable future.. She is close to my age and attended a rival school. I think I played against her in sports.

juliesa on February 17, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Komen and PP scored big money from Pro-Lifers.

I knew Komen would cave… I don’t know why the pro-Lifers didn’t.

mankai on February 17, 2012 at 2:40 PM

They did, but they won’t again. I would if I could earmark it but I won’t if it’s going to PP to use for abortions. I would not be donating for them to squander it.

wi farmgirl on February 17, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Komen and PP scored big money from Pro-Lifers.

I knew Komen would cave… I don’t know why the pro-Lifers didn’t.

mankai on February 17, 2012 at 2:40 PM

wi farmgirl on February 17, 2012 at 3:32 PM

If they knew Komen would cave, why did they donate in such large numbers those couple of days?

mankai on February 17, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Hmmm, maybe charities should succumb to hyperpartisan policies.

Pablo Honey on February 17, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Meh, what’s a few more million dead babies?

angryed on February 17, 2012 at 3:41 PM