Planned Parenthood president: Battle with Komen had a “wonderful” ending

posted at 2:30 pm on February 17, 2012 by Tina Korbe

At a Planned Parenthood awards luncheon in Dallas yesterday, PP president Cecile Richards reiterated that all is well between her organization and the Susan G. Komen Foundation now that Komen will again consider Planned Parenthood as a potential recipient for its breast cancer research and prevention grant money.

“The good news – the wonderful ending to this story – is that Komen and Planned Parenthood are here together in this room in fact today, working together again,” Richards said at a Planned Parenthood awards luncheon, according to the Dallas News.

Richards told the newspaper in a separate interview that some questions still remain and added that she has yet to personally speak with Komen founder Nancy Brinker, but said, “these relationships are picking up right where they left off.”

“The minute the national office made the decision to reverse course, calls and meetings started happening immediately,” the abortion company’s CEO added. “And I think that’s how it will go, which is great.”

Well, sure, if you’re Cecile Richards, the battle ended wonderfully. But I can think of a few people for whom the ending to the funding scuffle wasn’t so “wonderful”:

1. First and foremost, it wasn’t a “wonderful” ending for the unborn babies who are unable to voice their case to Ms. Richards. Money is fungible and more money for Planned Parenthood means more money for abortions, plain and simple. If even one mother who is on the fence about whether to give birth to her unborn child decides to have an abortion because Komen donations to Planned Parenthood make the procedure that much more easily accessible, then this was the very opposite of a wonderful ending. For that matter, it’s a horrific ending for those undecided mothers, too, who will suffer in ways Ms. Richards would probably prefer not to address.
  2. Secondly, women with breast cancer lost out. Very few Planned Parenthood clinics actually offer mammograms; the money that goes to PP could be more efficiently put to use to combat cancer.
  3. Pro-lifers who would like to be able to donate to the cause of eliminating breast cancer once again have to make a hard choice: Will they support Komen and risk that their dollars might unintentionally fund abortions? Many pro-life would-be donors will opt not to give, which circles back to No. 2: Women with breast cancer will suffer for decreased donations from pro-lifers.
  4. Pro-life personnel at Susan G. Komen also got the shaft. Karen Handel actually flat-out resigned her position. Definitely not such a delightful conclusion to this story for her.

It’d be nice if Ms. Richards would at least not rub it in that Planned Parenthood successfully bullied Komen into caving. Her inability to empathize with the other side in this battle convinces me she’d not be a person from whom I’d want to seek help if I had an unexpected “women’s health” problem.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Like with Geithner, I’ll say again that they control 90% of messaging. That’s all that matters. Repetition becomes truth.

John Kettlewell on February 17, 2012 at 3:42 PM

If they knew Komen would cave, why did they donate in such large numbers those couple of days?

mankai on February 17, 2012 at 3:41 PM

I was wondering the same. That’s why you should never make any decision in the heat of the moment. Emotional decisions are almost always poor ones.

angryed on February 17, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Well, there goes any support I might have considered for Komen moving forward. I’ll send my money and support to Cook’s Childrens Hospital. They do GREAT things for children with cancer, and I can’t think of a better place to send my money to counter both organizations.

44Magnum on February 17, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Komen and PP scored big money from Pro-Lifers.

I knew Komen would cave… I don’t know why the pro-Lifers didn’t.

mankai on February 17, 2012 at 2:40 PM

They may have in a very short time, but this will hurt Komen for a very very very long time. The majority of people who consider themselves pro-life probably didn’t even know about this relationship with PP until this whole story broke. Most who consider themselves pro-life are not activists. The activists knew about this relationship, however now everyone knows about it.

MobileVideoEngineer on February 17, 2012 at 3:49 PM

My collie says:

That’s a MAN, baby!

CyberCipher on February 17, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I wonder how many unborned females killed at planned parenthood’s abortuaries would’ve been named “Cecile Richards?”

Just curious.

locomotivebreath1901 on February 17, 2012 at 3:55 PM

mankai on February 17, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Sorry, I meant they did score big in donations, but that I don’t think prolifer’s thought they would cave. But prolifers will not donate again.

wi farmgirl on February 17, 2012 at 3:55 PM

John Kettlewell on February 17, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Aided by journolist, and the talking points memo’s. How can people be so stupid?

wi farmgirl on February 17, 2012 at 3:57 PM

angryed on February 17, 2012 at 3:43 PM

That means the gentleman’s idea of “take an aspirin, put it between your legs and call me in the morning”, was sound advice. lol

wi farmgirl on February 17, 2012 at 3:59 PM

MobileVideoEngineer on February 17, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Even politically active people did not know that. Your very right about the cost this decision will have long term. They screwed up.

wi farmgirl on February 17, 2012 at 4:01 PM

That kerfuffle seems awfully coordinated now with all the focus on contraception.

ctmom on February 17, 2012 at 4:04 PM

It seems to me that those who choose to use PP’s abortion services would most likely give birth to non-productive moochers and government teat-sucking democrats who would simply be anchors around the necks of our children and grandchildren. So, perhaps I will start donating money to PP to help them reduce the number of anchors.

jb34461 on February 17, 2012 at 4:07 PM

I think the moral of this story is that you never know where your donation money is going. I wonder how many breast cancer money donors knew their money was getting funneled into Planned Parenthood via Komen? I know I’d have been outraged.

JeffVader on February 17, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Why does looking at a picture of that women make me think of carpet cleaning? …. with the tongue.

Mahdi on February 17, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Here’s the thing, before the Komen flap, I didn’t hate Planned Parenthood. I do now. I can’t be the only one that has had their opinion hardened against them. That is the only silver lining I see.

earlgrey133 on February 17, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Is she related to Kathleen Sebelius? Same fake smile and hard look around the eyes. Komen Foundation has goofed on this, sadly.

indyvet on February 17, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Cecile Richards? Unaborted daughter of TX Gov. Ann Richards? Deputy COS to Unaborted Catholic CA Rep. Nancy Pelosi? Wife to Unaborted SEIU Community Organizer Kirk Adams? That Cecile Richards?

What a smile.

spiritof61 on February 17, 2012 at 4:31 PM

The battle did have a happy ending. Actually, several. It exposed the Komen foundation, both with respect to the percentage of contributions that go to benefits [low] and with respect to policies [apparently, poor].

Mdirmeie on February 17, 2012 at 4:37 PM

MobileVideoEngineer on February 17, 2012 at 3:49 PM

The most positive outcome is a big warning that goes out to any charitable organization that is thinking of making a donation to Murder Inc. Now that they see once you enter the relationship with them it’s more difficult to get out of than an AOL account, that may dissuade them from making first contact.

Other charities may want to quietly slink away by reducing their donations very slowly.

slickwillie2001 on February 17, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Too bad this woman’s mother didn’t decide to abort.

Alborn on February 17, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Spiritof61…Your comment….well it is Spot On, and yes Ms.”unaborted” Richards,wipe that mo fo grin off your face, this IS NOT humorous in the least. We are outraged and sad. How dare you smile!

justonevictory on February 17, 2012 at 5:21 PM

This woman has the maternal instinct of a snake. What a foul human being.

GMO on February 17, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Really kind of wondering what this broad makes in a year.

BigWyo on February 17, 2012 at 2:49 PM

About $400,000 a year.!

Not bad, for killin’ defenseless babies.
Maybe I should look into becoming a Merc more seriously…

orbitalair on February 17, 2012 at 3:15 PM

From a few months ago…

In an interview published yesterday in the Oregon paper Williamette Week, Planned Parenthood President Cecile Richards was asked about her annual salary — nearly $400,000 — and why Planned Parenthood has shied away from publicly commenting on the widespread belief that such an amount is a bit extravagant for the head of a non-profit organization that receives over $360 million of your tax dollars annually.

Richards’ answer: “I work hard for my salary.”

She continued her dismissive response by proclaiming, “Planned Parenthood is the most cost-effective provider of family planning services in this country.”

Del Dolemonte on February 17, 2012 at 6:02 PM

“Nice little charity you got there. Be a shame if something were to happen to it.”

chewmeister on February 17, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Del Dolemonte on February 17, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Zyklon-B was “cost-effective,” too – Ms. Richards. The exterminators are always concerned with efficiency.

OhEssYouCowboys on February 17, 2012 at 6:23 PM

slickwillie2001 on February 17, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Kind of reminds me of “The Firm.”

chewmeister on February 17, 2012 at 6:24 PM

I love Tina Korbe’s one word caption to this post: “Smug.” Here’s another word for you, Tina: “Irony.”

Alpha_Male on February 17, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Here’s the dictionary.com definition of “smug”:

1. contentedly confident of one’s ability, superiority, or correctness.
2. See also Tina Korbe.

Alpha_Male on February 17, 2012 at 7:42 PM

From now on I’m only donating to prostate cancer organizations. Not only do they get half the funding that breast cancer organizations do, but they dont piss it away on pink garbage cans and other nonsense. When we start caring about men’s prostate as much as a women’s breasts I’ll start donating.

Logboy on February 17, 2012 at 7:43 PM

All Progressive politicians must bow at the altar of Abortion baby-killing before they can enter the TEMPLE OF POLITICAL POWER.

…..both parties.

It is the bloody communion that all must drink of to enter the temple.

PappyD61 on February 17, 2012 at 8:13 PM

I have no idea what’s going to happen to Komen, but a Mr. Miyagi statement comes immediately to mind:

Walk on left side, OK. Walk on right side, OK. Walk in middle — .

Komen tried to please the right by dropping donations to a set of dead-beat organizations which wasn’t providing the services Komen wanted provided — organization under a bigger organization which is a shibboleth of the left — and Komen got schooled. A lot of lefties said they’d be redirecting their donations to PP from Komen.

Then Komen veered back toward the left by “unrescinding” the dropped contracts (which weren’t all the contracts they had with PP — three contracts had been kept because Komen determined that those three Planned Parenthood branches were doing their job).

Komen said that the day after they made their decision was their best fund raising day ever. I was part of that.

I’m not going to unrescind my donation to them, but I’m sure not going to be doing any more Runs for the Cure now that I know that a portion of my money goes to Planned Parenthood.

Maybe the lefties will take up my slack — but I doubt it.

unclesmrgol on February 17, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Cecile Richards loves the smell of dead fetus in the morning. It smells like victory.

jan3 on February 17, 2012 at 8:33 PM

so, wait, let me get this straight, the monumental insight here is that THE LEADER OF THE PRINCIPAL ABORTIONIST ENTITY IN THIS NATION SOMEHOW LACKS EMPATHY?!?

/Well No Sh_t, Sherlocks.

rayra on February 18, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Planned Parenthood awards luncheon? That right there is kind of creepy. What kind of awards do they pass out at a Planned Parenthood Luncheon?

iceman1960 on February 18, 2012 at 7:51 AM

I can’t wait for October, AKA Breast Cancer Month, for all the hooplah, especially the NFL and those big beefy guys in their pink football shoes, with pink ribbon logos on their helmets, and pink stuff everywhere in stores. I won’t buy another Campbell’s tomato soup with the pink label or anything else. I always thought that all that wasted money, supposedly to inform us all about the ominous threat of breast cancer, could be used to actually FIGHT breast cancer. No more $ from me. It’s all a big marketing scheme, cooked up with Komen’s blessing.

Hey Komen people – If you’re going to fight breast cancer, do it. Don’t give other people’s donations to Planned Parenthood, the Humane Society, or any other charity.

By the way, more women die of heart disease than breast cancer. Yes, even young women. It’s just not as sexy.

Qzsusy on February 18, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I would have to disagree with Tina’s first point. Planned Parenthood actually reduces the amount of abortions because it helps poor women get access to birth control which stops them from getting pregnant in the first place.

Ric on February 18, 2012 at 1:26 PM

John Kettlewell on February 17, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Sadly, it’s oh so true. Totalitarians, fascists and socialists (I know, it’s redundant) all depend on the general public’s laziness in regards to informing themselves.

I forget whether it was Communist Socialist Josef Stalin or National Socialist Joseph Goebbels who said something along the lines of “If you repeat The Big Lie often enough, long enough and loud enough, the people will eventually believe it”

CatchAll on February 18, 2012 at 4:14 PM

The big lie is attributed to Goebbels. Stalin gets “one death is a catastrophe, a million is a statistic.”

PKO Strany on February 18, 2012 at 6:03 PM

For pity’s sake, Tina, stop whining!

It was a wonderful ending for women’s health. Why? Because like money, brain cells are “fungible”. Anyone who is not an advocate of compulsory childbirth understands that Planned Parenthood provides a valuable service in the fight against breast cancer.

Komen allowed Karen Handel to take the organization to the dark side and in the process they’ve ruined their brand. They weren’t “bullied” by PP. The backlash came from a public that knew the difference between breast cancer and abortion.

Cheer up Tina. The state of Virginia is set to require medically unnecessary v@ginal sonograms for women who want to make their own decisions about their pregnancy. A little smugness on the part of PP pales in comparison to state-mandated humiliation.

chumpThreads on February 18, 2012 at 10:57 PM

The only silver lining I see here is that pro-life ministries, such as the one in which I help, no longer have to try to convince people that Komen supports Planned Parenthood. Pro-life folks have been pointing that out for years, only to be met with “I don’t believe that” or “I didn’t know that.”

Now they know. Now they have not excuse not to believe it.

The question remains: Why does Komen give to Planned Parenthood, when they could give to organizations and agencies that don’t simply make referrals for mammograms, but actually do them?

Besides, why does it take donations of hundreds of thousands of dollars to get PP to make referrals? Type up a list of places, with phone numbers, that do mammograms and give it to the women who need it.

At the pro-life ministry I assist, we keep a detailed list of pregnancy-resource centers, pro-life physicians, and other helpful information, and we give it out for free. We put women in touch with people who can help them — why doesn’t Komen send ministries such as this one some financial assistance?

KyMouse on February 19, 2012 at 7:43 AM

Apparently, both Richards and Anderson Cooper go to the same stylist.

Sherman1864 on February 19, 2012 at 8:44 AM

For me, the story is the chutzpah of PP. Only a holier than thou liberal “charity” organization would demand that another charitable organization give them money. Komen owes PP nothing. This is the mindset that has nearly destroyed our country.

SpiderMike on February 19, 2012 at 10:24 AM

This administration and their surrogates can exploit the ignorance of American people as no other time in our history. Those that believe every lie and deception being presented as fact become brainwashed lemmings unable to think independently. Hitler proved through Joeph Goebbels, that whoever has control of the mainstream media has control of the hearts and minds of the people. Their constant propaganda is relentless.

volsense on February 19, 2012 at 11:20 AM

slickwillie2001 on February 17, 2012 at 5:00 PM

As another commenter said, it’s like getting involved in the Mafia.

If Komen has any brains, their next move will be to prioritise funding for all groups that do mammograms, ultrasounds, and MRIs in-house. Then the entire country will know what pro-lifers have known since Lila Rose exposed PP: PP doesn’t perform mammograms.

Roxeanne de Luca on February 19, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Komen can go to hell, never one red cent to them, ever.

insidiator on February 20, 2012 at 7:48 AM