Quotes of the day

posted at 10:05 pm on February 16, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

“[H]is extreme-right social views are as out of touch as they are memorable.

Mr. Santorum “doesn’t come with the type of political baggage that Gingrich had,” said one Obama adviser. “He has the ability to go farther and is much more likely to be a potential nominee.” Directing attacks against Mr. Santorum is “under discussion at the headquarters” in Chicago, he added.

***

“I think it sort of rings hollow for Romney to say I’m not a conservative. I think most people just sort of chuckle when they hear that. I mean, that just doesn’t fit,” Santorum said.

“Governor Romney focuses on the Obama administration, and the reason he does is because he supported what the Bush administration did. Well, I didn’t,” the former senator said. “I actually blame President Bush, more than President Obama,” for having set a precedent of greater government involvement in the private sector.

***

“We have to be concerned about everybody, from the very rich to the very poor,” he said.

“I was the most conservative senator by far based on the state I represented and the spending record I had,” said Santorum, the object of attack ads from Romney supporters.

A day after releasing his tax returns, Santorum took a dig at multi-millionaire former private equity executive Romney.

“I do my own taxes. Heck, Romney paid half the taxes I did. He doesn’t do his own taxes. Maybe I should hire an accountant in the future,” Santorum said.

***

“I love the auto industry. I want to see it thriving and growing. I’m glad it went through a managed bankruptcy process, which I recommended from the very beginning to shed unnecessary costs and get its footing again. I’m delighted it’s profitable,” Romney said in Farmington Hills, Michigan.

Santorum pronounced himself pure in opposing government bailouts of private industry, saying he had opposed not only the auto bailouts but the bank bailouts of 2008 and 2009, which Romney had backed.

Romney was quick to point out that Santorum said at the time he did not think the bank bailouts were “an unreasonable decision.”

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

When any politician determines according to his own prejudices exactly what others may think and have available for personal use, to constrain Freedom and deny “pursuit of happiness,” they’ve proven authoritarian.

It doesn’t matter the rationale; the intent and effect are authoritarian. If you’re so dense as to believe that the “right” sort of authoritarianism is good, admit your unconstitutional stance. It is one thing to deny taxation to fund immorality (death of innocents including interventionist genocide of foreign populations); quite another to dictate how others must think, behave and live. Go figure.

Santorum can’t refrain from overkill, claiming his best of intentions, of course, gag. His “best” is awful.

Consider well, “I’ll Attack China!” Mr. Undiplomatic is biting at the bit to lead the US Charge of the Light Brigade.*

Santorum is not simply a power monger lacking wisdom. And that he leads a parade of fools is no comfort for those who respect rule of law, civil rights and the benefits of peaceful negotiations.

(*Re: current administration, Sec./State Hillary Clinton and Senator Joe Lieberman shred any Democratic facade as if maintaining the peace abroad.)

maverick muse on February 17, 2012 at 8:11 AM

I’m not sure that the bulk of fiscal conservatives with gay friends could do so. Santorum is not a winning candidate.

fleiter on February 17, 2012 at 8:04 AM

yup

DHChron on February 17, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Another plus for Gingrich. His sister.

Flora Duh on February 17, 2012 at 8:13 AM

pssssssst … it’s: “bust a deal, face the wheel”

On Topic -
The constant attack ads here in Michigan by Mittens are beginning to annoy me and I don’t like being annoyed, especially by a silver-spoon baby from Stepford. The polls indicate that many Michiganders agree with me.

Rick Santorum was just interviewed on WJR by Paul W. Smith. Rick made very clear his position that the Feds have no business legislating morality. End of story.

And this gem from the quotes above:

And Willard keeps tanking here.
(chuckle)

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on February 17, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Another plus for Gingrich. His sister.

Flora Duh on February 17, 2012 at 8:13 AM

why do homos think they’re entitled to additional “rights” on top of their already sufficient rights as people?

DHChron on February 17, 2012 at 8:19 AM

DHChron on February 17, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Because most of them are Democrats?

Flora Duh on February 17, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Karl Magnus on February 17, 2012 at 8:14 AM

I wish that were the end of the story.

everyone’s still talking about it so it’s very obviously not

DHChron on February 17, 2012 at 8:22 AM

I wish that were the end of the story.

everyone’s still talking about it so it’s very obviously not

DHChron on February 17, 2012 at 8:22 AM

They’re talking about stuff like this:

@stephenfhayes This qualifies as “top news?” #definingnewsdown RT @CBSTopNews: Santorum spars over backer’s contraception “joke” http://t.co/VuPGB3R1

*sigh*

Flora Duh on February 17, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Slightly O/T: Newt raised over 2 million dollars in a week.I thought he was supposed to be a dead man walking. Apparently there are a bunch of donors who didn’t get the memo.

Ron Paul raised $1.2 million on Valentine’s Day.

You know what’s funny?

Santorum, Newt & Paul…each one raised more money than Mittens in the past week.

But supposedly, Mr. RomneyCare is the inevitable one…LMAO

Norwegian on February 17, 2012 at 8:32 AM

I wish that were the end of the story.

everyone’s still talking about it so it’s very obviously not

DHChron on February 17, 2012 at 8:22 AM

As far as HIS position is concerned.

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on February 17, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Well, let’s see. The Romneys paid about $6.2 million in taxes in 2010 and 2011, and the Santorums paid about $573,000 in taxes in 2009 and 2010 (2011 figures have not been released).

Mr. Santorum seems to be mathematically challenged. Or perhaps he’s using the Warren Buffett method of obfuscation and disinformation dissemination.

Syzygy on February 17, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Karl Magnus on February 17, 2012 at 8:52 AM

hehehe…like his position matters :)

DHChron on February 17, 2012 at 9:03 AM

People who make a lot less money than Rick, pay someone to do their taxes. Almost anyone with a small business refers their accounts to a tax accountant, or just an accountant to make sure they have it right. It is not just the Romney’s who are hiring someone to do the taxes.

He shouldn’t make fun of people who hire someone, you do it when it’s your derriere. Did Rick ever submit legislation when he was in Congress to make paying your taxes easier? I am asking, I don’t know.

Geitner should have used a professional.

Should someone check Santorum’s taxes to make sure they are right? Is he a tax lawyer or tax accountant like Mrs. Bachman?

I think Santorum is morally responsible to correct the lie he told about paying more in taxes than Romney, that does sound like it is intended to decieve, like when the Occupy types say Warren Buffet’s secretary PAID MORE in taxes than he did.”

Rick is flirting with populist lingo to make himself popular with a certain audience who envies success.

Fleuries on February 17, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Santorum is too stupid to hire an accountant, and you want him for president? WTF, people?

fleiter on February 17, 2012 at 9:17 AM

fleiter on February 17, 2012 at 9:17 AM

And Romney probably has a team of accountants to manage his personal finances. Yes, I absolutely want Santorum for president.

Norky on February 17, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Yes, I absolutely want Santorum for president.

Norky on February 17, 2012 at 10:06 AM

We already have a president that thinks he can do it all on his own. We don’t need a big government, big spending zealot refusing to get advisers who have actually worked in the private sector saving businesses, creating businesses, and creating jobs.

csdeven on February 17, 2012 at 10:18 AM

absolutely want Santorum for president.

Norky on February 17, 2012 at 10:06 AM

not gonna happen.

svs22422 on February 17, 2012 at 10:24 AM

csdeven on February 17, 2012 at 10:18 AM

What we need even less is a socially liberal president that has tens of millions of dollars to pay back, in the form of political favors, to his deep pocket, special interest donors.

Norky on February 17, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Norky on February 17, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Considering Romney has never been involved in paying back those who support him, you are clearly creating a narrative with no basis in fact.

csdeven on February 17, 2012 at 11:32 AM

csdeven on February 17, 2012 at 11:32 AM

BHO has been paying back his donors for the last three years. It’s the standard for every establishment backed candidate, no matter which side their on. Reality is sometimes difficult to accept, especially for those who have blinders on.

Norky on February 17, 2012 at 11:41 AM

BHO has been paying back his donors for the last three years.

Norky on February 17, 2012 at 11:41 AM

If you can point to a history of Romney paying back political supporters, I could accept your point. But I have looked and have seen none. So I expect he will continue in that fashion.

csdeven on February 17, 2012 at 12:52 PM

I like Santorum. I believe he has a good chance at becoming the nominee. But also don’t doubt once he does the liberal machine will kick into gear, and rip him to shreds *(sigh)* .
I wish that we could just have a fair election, where the PEOPLE truly decide. Not the Media, Not Political Lobbys, Not the man with the deepest pockets. But I also wish twinkies were healthy…
aint gonna happen

mcplumbercuda on February 17, 2012 at 1:47 PM

DHChron on February 17, 2012 at 8:22 AM

The shills are still talking about it.

smoothsailing on February 18, 2012 at 2:51 AM