Pelosi: Yes, of course, the Catholic Church should be forced to cover contraception — even if it’s self-insured

posted at 5:30 pm on February 16, 2012 by Allahpundit

Remember, the “compromise” is that insurance companies will foot the bill for contraception themselves so that religious institutions technically aren’t paying for it. That’s a minor concession given that the plan will still cover birth control — and it’s a nonexistent concession if premiums end up rising to pay for the contraception — but that was the compromise. One wrinkle: What happens if the religious institution is the insurance company, i.e. if it self-insures? Surely they get a conscience exemption in that case, right?

Right?

House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi said Thursday morning that the government should require self-insured religious institutions, such as the Catholic church in Washington, D.C., to directly pay for contraception and abortifacients.

At a press conference, Leader Pelosi was asked by THE WEEKLY STANDARD: “The Catholic Church in Washington, D.C., is a self-insured institution. Should the Catholic Church in Washington, D.C., be required to pay for these morning-after pills and birth control if they find that morally objectionable?”

Pelosi talked about the importance of women’s health, and then said, “Yes, I think that all institutions who cover, who give, health insurance should cover the full range of health insurance issues for women.”

That’s from the Standard’s John McCormack, whom you can hear posing the question to Pelosi in the video below of today’s presser (via Breitbart TV). When McCormack asked Dick Durbin about an exemption for self-insurers, he at least struggled with the issue. Not Nancy. When access to the pill collides with what she once eloquently described as “this conscience thing” that Catholics have, religious freedom bows without hesitation. Someone should float this “compromise” for her at the next media availability: What if the Church grandfathered in current employees by providing full coverage but eliminated contraception coverage for future hires? A job applicant could take that deal or leave it; this way, over time, the Church would gradually phase out coverage of birth control as employees retire instead of pulling the rug out from under current personnel. (Whether the bishops would agree to that, I don’t know. They should be asked too.) Everyone else in the world considers the benefits package when deciding whether to accept a job offer, after all. If that means only Catholics end up working for the Church, the Church will have to make do with its newly limited hire pool.

Here’s the clip. Watch to the end to find Pelosi, a Catholic herself, pushing the crapola statistic that 98 percent of Catholic women have used contraception. Exit question via Nick Rizzuto: Is it time to mandate that vegetarian restaurants serve the healthy (and tasty) protein source known as red meat?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Yuppers.. with you, all the way, honest. Got it.
Control! Power ! Manipulation !!…. no matter where it’s found is equally as bad. No question there.

pambi on February 16, 2012 at 8:36 PM

countering the church own manipulation and power mongering is not exactly a bad thing in my book. anyway, i believe in political self expression. i do it here and with my vote as well. is this “Control! Power ! Manipulation !” that i am performing?

nathor on February 16, 2012 at 8:41 PM

The Catholic Church has been in agreement with the Socialist views of the Dems.for years that is one reason I left the Catholic church. How they insulted us when Obama was honored at Noter Dame, now their actions are paying off.

evergreenland on February 16, 2012 at 6:09 PM

“No one can be at the same time a sincere Catholic and a true Socialist.” –Pope Pius XI, 1931

See also
Every pope going back to Pius IX (1846-1878) has condemned socialism, and many “Catholics” who advocate “social justice” have a flawed understanding of what the Church teaches on this issue. I hhope you decide to return to the Catholic Church!

Sir Rants-A-Lot on February 16, 2012 at 8:47 PM

:) And clearly you know what we like to hear.
sthier on February 16, 2012 at 8:25 PM

well, i know very well what you dont like me to say and somehow you take my will to say it.

nathor on February 16, 2012 at 8:48 PM

*hope*…and still trying to get used to the quote feature–sorry!

Sir Rants-A-Lot on February 16, 2012 at 8:48 PM

OK, so not an actual ritual. Still interesting. But I guess that’s what happens with a centralized religious body.

Esthier on February 16, 2012 at 8:25 PM

kafkian is the word that comes to mind…
but it was interesting that secular privacy laws finally broke the church resistance. should we give religious exception to privacy laws? i mean, will a person lose right to its privacy if she joins a church?

nathor on February 16, 2012 at 8:51 PM

i have to go, bye all.

nathor on February 16, 2012 at 8:53 PM

nathor on February 16, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Have contemplated the same, of myself, in days gone by.. answer ? … heck no !! ;-)

Present your opinions, which in many cases CAN equal the TRUTH, but allow others to form their own judgements.
That is NOT manipulation. Forcing others to adopt your opinions, via laws or religious/NON-religious dogma = manipulation.
I’m pleased to have escaped alot of that in my life so far, and pray I’ll never enlist those horrid tactics again ! :-)
Sure helps recognize them afar off, I might add.

pambi on February 16, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Pelosi probably eats all organic and uses all organic everything because she doesn’t want toxins in her. But oral contraceptives!? Thats health care.

Of course that is sarcasm, but there are surely tons of super duper health freaks that don’t think twice about popping oral contraceptives. Probably because babies are toxins, or something.

Of course going all organic is good for you but you can’t pick and choose and claim to be one thing while doing another totally opposite of the thing you claim to be.

Like being a Catholic and Sh*ting on the church at the same time, huh Pelosi?

Of course we are all sinners, so we need to pray for this woman.

Gatekeeper on February 16, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Beware the ‘it’s a health/cost’ issue meme !!
If the mandate is NOT overturned, we’ll all have to watch what we eat, drink, construct within out own homes (can’t have that stair riser more than ‘some’ dimension, it might cause a trip, broken hip, drain on the healthcare system) !! Forget the fact that it’s so dam*ed hard to SEE the stairs with the required newfangled lightbulbs we’ll be forced to buy…

Dam*, I already miss the concept of personal liberty… sigh.

pambi on February 16, 2012 at 9:09 PM

pambi on February 16, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Methinks I posted that on the wrong thread, but my warning still stands.
;-)

pambi on February 16, 2012 at 9:14 PM

I am willing to pay the a/l ticket and the short stay in Rome in order for this woman to be exorcised, and then excommunicated.She has to drop from the Catholic Church. I hope Spirit Daily with Michael Brown pick this up; they’ve been slamming the contraceptive issue.

I can’t believe the mountains out of a molehill libs are making this out to be. Talk about diversion tactics.

ProudPalinFan on February 16, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Excommunication?

Bring back Cardinal Ximénez and expose this wicked witch to the Spanish Inquisition.

Torture her on the rack to the delight of all.

NoDonkey on February 16, 2012 at 9:32 PM

this obamacare, for me is just about goverment overreach. that is all. too much goverment and burocracy and cronyism, etc etc…
but painting this as some religious freedom struggle is not the way to go. i said it before. when a law is made, make it for everybody without religious exceptions or dont make it at all. its the fact the church is demanding an exception that annoys me.

nathor on February 16, 2012 at 7:38 PM

But there have been over 1200 Obamacare waivers, why not give ones out for religious exemptions? It makes no sense unless…Axelrod in all his brilliance thought “Light bulb goes off but NOT incandescent over his head” I know let’s attack the Hispanic’s core religion “Catholicism” That’s a sure fire way to win the Hispanic demographic, and if we get lucky we can alienate the rest of the Catholic vote/ Catholicism overlaps into so many demographics in so many areas of people’s lives. It’s why the leftist are attacking them in what they think is the Catholic Church’s weakness “women’s health issues”. The church is a lot older than the new left movement birthed in the 60s and 70s, they have seen “movements” come and go.

All Pelosi get’s out of this attack is to look like a hypocrite, and feedback from the old rabid hippie culture in the Bay area – it is not a microcosm for the rest of the country. No matter if they do believe they are the center of “new age” enlightened universe.

Dr Evil on February 16, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Pelosi…said, “Yes, I think that all institutions who cover, who give, health insurance should cover the full range of health insurance issues for women.”

The Catholic Church has been tiptoeing around Pelosi’s apostasy for some time now. But that statement right there is the final, DIRECT proof that they need to justify excommunicating this saranwrap-faced skank.

I’m a Catholic, maybe not as good a Catholic as I could be, but I find Pelosi’s statements and actions to be despicable.

I doubt she goes to Mass often. She probably spends her Sunday’s out in her winery’s vineyards, flogging her illegal immigrant workers with a bullwhip. But the next time she has the tone-deaf arrogance to attend Mass, I hope they turn her around and shove her bony a$$ out the door.

CatchAll on February 16, 2012 at 9:38 PM

It’s been ‘for the children’ for ages … but, alas, at the moment, they don’t vote, so……….
now, it’s ‘for the women’.
Oh, people, wake up !!

pambi on February 16, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Excommunication?

Torture her on the rack to the delight of all.

NoDonkey on February 16, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Whatever it takes, NoDonkey, whatever it takes.

ProudPalinFan on February 16, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Of course we are all sinners, so we need to pray for this woman.

Gatekeeper on February 16, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Y’know, there are times when belonging to one of the darker pagan sects truly does have its benefits.

I feel absolutely no guilt for wishing we could send her back in time to visit with Tomás de Torquemada. Of course, we’d have to send back a cloaked film crew to enjoy the full event.

Alas, fantastical wishful thinking.

More realistic wishful thinking: Here’s to an accidental OD of Botox.

Cheers!

Asurea on February 17, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Guess What? Since I will be paying for everyones healthcare and condoms, I “get a say” in other peoples business soon.

YES, thats right! All you fatso’s in America, get ready, I will make sure you eat what I think is in your BEST interest. So dont be pissed when I overtly tell you to drop the burger and eat a salad instead.

Since I will be paying for the condoms, I might envoke the right of jus primae noctis, a noble’s right to partake in sex with a new bride. Or I might give my opinion over whether or not you should have children.

So many options, I just dont know yet….. /sarc

mr_west on February 17, 2012 at 1:33 AM

nathor on February 16, 2012 at 8:41 PM

As a Baptist, I have mixed feelings about Catholicism. They are responsoble for more good deedsandcharity to the human race than any other institution in the history of the world. On the other hand, they have done more to corrupt Christ’s message than any institution in the history of the world.

The 2nd Commandment states:

“You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My Commandments.

WTF is the Pope then?

Catholicism died when “holy men” covered up for other “holy men” who raped boys by the hundreds. If you aretruly a Godfearing man you would know that God knows what you were doing. The fact that these men were not immediately excommunicated but actually transfered to other churches indicates what a fraud the entire hierarchy of the Church really is.

That’s my feelings, anyway.

Spliff Menendez on February 17, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Pelosi is about as Catholic as Arlen Specter Mitt Romney was is conservative.

RBMN on February 16, 2012 at 5:49 PM

FIFY

timberline on February 17, 2012 at 6:55 AM

Nanny Pelosi sees herself as royalty — not a representative. The role of government is to rule, to tell people what to do, how to think, what to buy. She knows best. This is as un-American as it gets. What a horrible person. She does not belong in government.

Term limits will kill her disease, and that of Reid and Boxer.

RobertMN on February 17, 2012 at 7:56 AM

Well, Ms Pelosi I think you are WRONG. Frankly, I don’t see why employers should have to provide health insurance benefits for their employees anyway. They don’t have to provide me with my car insurance. And, if I purchase it myself when I leave a place of employment I can take it with me and won’t be uninsured. Just give me the same right to deduct my health insurance on page one of my 1040 and not on Schedule A whether or not I am self-employed or not.

SC.Charlie on February 17, 2012 at 8:05 AM

I personally think it is a testimony to the patience of the Catholic Church that they haven’t excommunicated this shrew and her entire damned family!

pilamaye on February 17, 2012 at 8:16 AM

WTF is the Pope then?

That’s my feelings, anyway.

Spliff Menendez on February 17, 2012 at 1:41 AM

I’m not a Catholic,.. I was born into the Seventh Day Adventist Church, but after a period of noninterest, finally broke with them.. when a pastor in my mothers own home, suggested to her, that God had taken her first born daughter with cancer at 23.. because she hadn’t attended services enough. God had killed my sister,.. to get back at mom for backsliding.

I wasn’t out of control, when I threw him out in the street.

All church’s, everywhere, distort God’s message, because they are made up of flawed human beings, who put self above God, and do it often. A more cynical view, would have rejected God, along with a twisted Holyman..

but I couldn’t.. because I still can feel God’s grace in my life.

Please, don’t condemn them for the flaws of their members, reading your post, I was reminded, I often have a dim view of Baptists, with cause,.. but that doesn’t make it right. I’m of the mind, you punish men for the evil they do, not the institutions they do it in the name of… Obama claims to do his handiwork in our name, but I’d never condemn America for his arrogant assumptions. The men who run any large church can be corrupted,..

That’s the challenge of conscience, that we look past the clergy to see what’s right, and always has been..

I’ve never found a home, since leaving the Adventists, I also confess the Catholic church has a huge appeal to me. My closest friends have been Catholic, setting an example that has served the church well.

Whatever Church my wife and I decide to enter, I try, do my best to treat all Christian faiths with respect.. If they’ve survived 2000 years, the Core of Christ’s message must have endured, it has to have, to haven gotten here now to still spread his word.

mark81150 on February 17, 2012 at 8:25 AM

It’s not like hardcore leftists haven’t gotten the boot before..

Bishops in China who joined the Chinese Catholic Patriotic Association and ordained bishops without papal approval.
John XXIII excommunicated Fidel Castro in 1962
Pius XII excommunicated all Catholic supporters of Communism (see Decree against Communism and Fidel Castro)
Éamon de Valera was excommunicated from the church owing to his active support for the republican side during the Civil War in 1922.[9]

You can’t serve two God’s and Nancy Pelosi has chosen her side.

mark81150 on February 17, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Sure.
Just send Nan back to the zoo she came from.

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on February 17, 2012 at 8:41 AM

You know, I wonder…how much longer it will be since we all can get birth control now, I wonder how much longer it will be until they tell us that we all must take it. You know, for the good of society. As some have said, childbearing shortens lives, and having too many children would be a burden on society. So, one can expect, in a few years a limit on the number of offspring.

For those of you saying, “No, it would never happen!”, why do you think that?

MunDane68 on February 17, 2012 at 8:55 AM

The Catholic church should excommunicate this filthy partisan whore. I know that it is a big deal to Catholics since you have to have a membership card to be saved but this vile woman is not a good Catholic and has worked against the teachings of the church. If anybody deserves an eternity in hell it is Nancy Pelosi.

Happy Nomad on February 17, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Nancy Pelosi weighs less than a duck.

John the Libertarian on February 17, 2012 at 9:29 AM

[ looking for the "Where's the women?" thread ..]

Yup. That ‘contraception’ panel obviously needed a nun or two.

CaveatEmpty on February 17, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! Put her in the comfy chair! (Why does anyone actually listen to this woman?)

mkenorthshore on February 17, 2012 at 10:13 AM

So, if a muslim walks into a catholic hospital, does the hospital have to perform that ‘mutilation surgery’ on 13 yr old girls for free?/

askwhatif on February 17, 2012 at 10:19 AM

When is the church gonna grow a set and excommunicate this bat and her ilk?

PJ Emeritus on February 17, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Happy Nomad on February 17, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Nothing will change unless and until the New Order Catholic Bishops and Priests refuse to allow such filth to receive the Sacraments. That however, will never happen because politics gets involved and that opens a whole ‘nother kettle of smelly, skanky fish bait as the current contraceptive BS rages.

Suggestion for Granny Nancy:
Join the Episcopal Church, they’re Catholic-Lite and would love the few buck$ you donate.

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on February 17, 2012 at 10:26 AM

While the west wrings it’s collective hands over this, Hadji’s many wives continue to crank out baby jihadis left and right.

Buck Turgidson on February 17, 2012 at 10:36 AM

This is the face of insanity (apologies for that imagery: Pelosi and face)! The unhinged liberal that Michelle Malkin wrote about in her book and what happens when they get power. These are pretty scary times.

mozalf on February 17, 2012 at 10:46 AM

pilamaye on February 17, 2012 at 8:16 AM

No one is beyond God’s Grace, I pray she sees the light.

That said, she needs to retire, for sometime to reflect on trying to play God with other people’s lives.

Dr Evil on February 17, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Asurea on February 17, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Or she succumbs to the reality of just how stupid she is and retires in a convent that practices a vow of silence in reparations for her sins. Of course, she donated all her money to the national debt.

Gatekeeper on February 17, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Dear God,

If it is not Your will that Nancy Pelosi be excommunicated from Your church, can you at least please smite her with muteness so that she no longer has the voice to harsh my mello? Thank you God!

Amen

Roy Rogers on February 17, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Sick of all the Bishops’ whining. Time for formal excommunications.

aloysiusmiller on February 17, 2012 at 12:07 PM

For those of you saying, “No, it would never happen!”, why do you think that?

MunDane68 on February 17, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Will the govenrment next mandate prenatal ultrasounds for the health of the mother? Will they then be requiring abortion for any detected birth defects to spare the mothers the psychological trauma of having a disabled child? (And to spare society the cost of disabled children)

If the government can force the Catholic hospitals to pay for abortifacients for their employees, where will they stop?

If Obama voted to keep partial birth abortion legal-essentially killing viable babies, where will he stop?

If George Soros, a convicted Nazi sympathizer, is a major backer of this administration, what is his ultimate goal?

If the press won’t present what’s going on honestly, will these outrages be concealed from the majority of the public until it is too late to do anything about them?

talkingpoints on February 17, 2012 at 1:42 PM

What if the government stopped telling our employers and insurance companies who and what they had to cover/pay for and stopped telling us what kind of insurance we have to carry? Don’t try to make this Constitutionally preposturous proposition more palatable. There’s no compromise with ObamaCare. And no compromise with the First Amendment.

SukieTawdry on February 17, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Remember if you give BO another term you get Pelousie with him. YUK!!!!!!!!!!!

madgrma on February 17, 2012 at 3:15 PM

I am perfectly happy to stop all births of children from liberal/socialist/democrat parents. The former speaker will answer to her maker but it is a tragedy that she and other CINO’s haven’t been excommunicated.

scboy on February 17, 2012 at 3:46 PM

You know, I used to think the J@ck@ss-In-Chief was the Anti-Christ, until I realized he’s just Soros’ puppet. Now, Princess Nancy, she IS the DEVIL INCARNATE!?!

Colatteral Damage on February 17, 2012 at 5:56 PM

lib/commies must suck to go out to eat with

after all, if they feel that the gubmint must provide BC instead of digging into their own pockets for a pittance they must be the cheapest dumbest people in the world

and as soon as they pull this off BC will be very expensive because they will have cornered the market which is really what its all about

maybe the gubmint should provide cold drinks if we get thirsty, better be careful with what one would think was a preposterous idea

eff you commies

Sonosam on February 17, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Late to the comments, but heard something interesting about Nans speech. At 2:15 in the above video, she starts down this path for argument:

Supposed you were a Christian Scientist and you had an Institution and you said if people work here …

Pelsoi is comparing the Catholic church to the Christian Scientists. How many hospitals does she think that the Christian Scientist own, considering they are a religion that believes in no doctors.

SaysWho on February 17, 2012 at 9:23 PM