Palin on a brokered convention: “I would do whatever I could to help”

posted at 1:25 pm on February 16, 2012 by Allahpundit

Quote: “I cannot predict what will happen in the future, but I know that I have got the fire in my belly to try to help, to try to make a difference. And if that involves running for public office at some point in the future, I’m game for that.” Now all that’s standing between us and the greatest blog story ever is Jeb idly wondering aloud in front of reporters whether the Bush brand might be in better shape these days than everyone thinks. Oh, and I guess we’d need a Gingrich comeback to happen at some point too to make sure the delegates split three ways. Don’t sweat the details, though. Dude, this is happening.

Well … no, it probably isn’t. And even if it did, wonders WaPo, would Palin stand a chance?

One, her clout is dubious. Her popularity peaked long ago, and the supporters she does have won’t necessarily follow her lead. When Palin praised former House speaker Newt Gingrich on her Facebook page, many of her fans balked. While Palin can amplify tea party concerns, she doesn’t speak for or carry that group.

Two, she isn’t what people are loooking for. The names that come up when talk of a brokered convention surfaces — as either candidates or potential dealmakers — are relatively moderate politicians with broad support: former Florida governor Jeb Bush, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels. A polarizing figure like Palin is hardly in the mix.

Fair enough, but go read Ben Domenech’s post posing the provocative question of who Republicans should support if they become convinced that Obama’s going to win in November regardless. I argued the other day that if we get to a brokered convention, the eventual nominee will be so weakened by party chaos that delegates will break for the most electable option simply to give the GOP a fighting chance against The One. But maybe that’s wrong. If the economy starts to hum and O jumps out to a big lead, the calculus for some party powerbrokers might shift towards choosing a sacrificial lamb as his opponent. If they opt for a tea partier and Obama goes on to win, then they can scapegoat the movement as being “too extreme” and unelectable. If they stick with Romney and Obama beats him, then they’ll have the same problem they had after 2008 but only more so — a conservative base convinced that it’s the RINO establishment that’s unelectable and that the party needs to move further right. Palin’s too savvy to offer herself up as a sacrificial lamb if the race looks like a lost cause, but maybe some other conservative isn’t: This would, after all, be a shot at the presidency, albeit a long shot. I wonder what grassroots righties would do in that case. Would you want a conservative candidate to emerge from the brokered convention, even if it appeared likely he/she would lose, or would the calculus shift to supporting Romney and letting him be thrown to the wolves? So much heart-ache in the fact that we’re even thinking about this.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 6 7 8

b9…thanks for the prayers! Glad to see you posting more on QOTD. I hope this means you are feeling better and life is good :)

wolverinefan on October 8, 2014 at 6:32 PM

You got it Wolvie! Blessings to you, my friend. I was sorry to see you had another setback. :(
Still not doing well but have made some minor progress….
Doin my best and trying to keep faith. Thank you. :-)

bazil9 on October 9, 2014 at 3:36 PM

This is just beyond the beyond, yet it is true. The destroyer is pure evil..

I will catch up in the a.m.

Meanwhile – tears.

Prayers.

Opinionator on October 10, 2014 at 2:35 AM

*SMH*

Fallon on October 9, 2014 at 10:32 PM

These people are serious, Fallon. And you wonder why I don’t talk out there?

Opinionator on October 10, 2014 at 3:40 AM

b9 :)))

Great to see you! Thanks for your kind words re my repairs. I am definitely not the patient type (ha!) especially when it comes to battling city hall and other bureaucratic nightmares, but I am stubborn and persistent. Now that I know the work will be done, my stress load has been reduced considerably. Yay :)

It’s odd how I fought others’ legal battles for 30 years – only to be forced to battle on my own behalf for survival/preservation issues since the stroke. I suppose it’s fortunate I have the background since I know others who have lost their homes these last few years. For example, that HAMP program which was O’s big ‘panacea’ for the housing market crash only actually helped 3% of millions of applicants. It took me three attempts and an appeal to become one of those who made it through. It is unlikely I would have been able to keep my home otherwise. . . I feel so bad for those who have lost so much.

I’m so sorry to hear you are still suffering but glad you’re a bit better! I only learned you have residual issues from a car accident on QOTD :(( Is there anything we can do to help? You know at the very least you have my/our prayers. I hope further treatment is available to lessen your troubles – and that your nephews are brightening your days.

Opinionator on October 11, 2014 at 12:50 PM

wolvie :)))

You know I’m rooting and praying for gel and a brace! When will you have the MRI? I think it’s logical to assume the best here, particularly since you’ve seen some recent improvement – yay! I don’t think if you had a tear that requires surgery that that would be the case. [And I'm not going to dwell on all the good results and advances they've made with that surgery (including my brother's) since I hope you just won't need it! :)]

Hang in there, wolvie. I know for a fact that either way you’ll be back to walking normally waaaay ahead of me so there is that! After three years of hobbling I know I’m not giving up. You’re light years ahead of me :)) I’ll bet money you’ll be snowmobiling this winter!

Hope all is going well for you otherwise!

Opinionator on October 11, 2014 at 1:08 PM

Fallon :)))

Let’s hope your accountant is right! So glad to hear your fear factor was reduced!!! In this case I’m praying for a classic bureaucratic screw up :)

When is the wedding? How’s it going with Rauner? Please let us know how you’re faring when you can.

Flamingos! LOL! Perfectly precious :)))

To the rest of our Refugees: You Are Missed!! Please visit :)!

Opinionator on October 11, 2014 at 1:18 PM

P.S. wolvie – I don’t yet know the start date for repairs. It will probably be the end of Oct. or early Nov.

Opinionator on October 11, 2014 at 1:21 PM

Its kinda weird being a gay Palin fan..It is kinda lonely. lol
She has never done or said anything to offend me. I feel no hate/extremism from her. She fights for what I hold dear…ssm is not on the top of my list.

{{hugs}}}

bazil9 on October 5, 2014 at 5:04 PM

((((B9)))) I told you about Indianola, Iowa, right? (Sarah was supposed to throw her hat in the ring, oh well.) It was pouring rain and I was hiding out in the back of one of the media tents trying to keep dry and I met a sweet young man from St. Louis. He was part of a large Tammy Bruce group that had come to cheer her on. We became fast friends and later, hubby and I were invited to the meet-up. We arrived just as the meeting was starting and Tammy herself came over to us and welcomed us and found us a place to sit, unreal. My new friend was thrilled to see that we came. I remember Tammy’s words, she kept saying, there is more that unites us than divides us. She said, that things would get difficult but that we needed to keep remembering, there is more that unites us than divides us.

I think all of us feel alone in our unique political views, sometimes. That’s not to dismiss the real feeling but to say, we are alone together. :-)

Fallon on October 14, 2014 at 8:15 AM

Crap, just lost a long post to OP. I’ll be back later to repost. I have leave soon to pick up my little pumpkin.

Hi Wolvie!!!

Fallon on October 14, 2014 at 8:26 AM

Hi, OP, let’s try this again…

After pawing through my records, it appears I was the one who messed up. Grrr… Hate admitting that. I found the papers, still in my tax folder. I called the IRS apologized and described what had happened. There will most likely be no fine. *Whew!*

Sometimes, Occam’s razor means someone really did mess up with no mal intent. I was so sure I was being persecuted, I never entertained the thought that I was wrong. Lesson learned.

Quinn is lying his head off, some will believe him. Hopefully, Rauner will win by a nose. If he doesn’t, I’m afraid my daughter’s company may move out of state. It’s that dire. My main goal now is to convince those who won’t vote for Rauner because of his “social issues” that the children, alive in the state right now, can’t afford another four years under Quinn. Family values can also mean keeping extended families intact. I don’t know that I’m making any gains, but I won’t stop trying.

The wedding is fast approaching, first relatives arriving today. Yikes! It’s getting exciting and real.

Fallon on October 15, 2014 at 9:03 AM

Hey Fallon :)

Sounds like the wedding is this weekend? What a joyful time for you and your family! You certainly will be busy…enjoy the moment and don’t let the stress get to you!

wolverinefan on October 15, 2014 at 5:11 PM

wolverinefan on October 15, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Hi Wolvie!!! Yup. This is the weekend. I just spent the day dress shopping with my sister. We have so much fun together. On a whim, we went into a shop neither of us knew, and she found her dress.

I’m weirdly not stressed. Well, let’s just say, stress isn’t winning, yet.

OP, the lawsuit is still going forward. Third motion to dismiss (or whatever) was denied. So… great news today.

Fallon on October 15, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Sheesh OP…I’ve tried posting 3 times and I keep losing it before I’m finished!!! Is that because it refreshes before I’m finished?

Will try a shorter version and hope for the best

MRI is scheduled for Mon. Staying positive and not anticipating surgery. Thanks for the encouragement…I know it’s only been 2 months of waddling (bought a penguin costume for Halloween so there’s that lol) Have you continued to improve over the last 3 years? Best hit submit :)

wolverinefan on October 15, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Hi Guys :)

Fallon – Great news re litigation on the eve of Wedding Weekend! Aside from the first attempt which was probably a standard Demurrer to the pleadings and the second, which was probably a Motion for Summary Judgement (also somewhat routine) (I’m guessing here), the fact that you’ve also survived a subsequent Motion to Dismiss means there’s teeth in that thar claim (heh) both procedurally as well as factually. Excellent! This also confirms your atty is quite competent – also excellent! And great job on common sense arguments to woo Rauner voters. Keep up the great work. We are oh-so-proud of you for actually making a difference!

I know the wedding will be absolutely Beautiful!! Cannot wait to hear all about it and I will be thinking of you and all your family tomorrow. Please include food in your recap (lol!) and stories of Little One, I’m guessing, as flower girl?

Most importantly, have fun! I know you’ve worked your ____ off :)

Wolvie – Great attitude as always! I’m glad your MRI is Monday (so no more undue delays). Prayers for excellent results, m’Dear. I think you’re rounding the bend into the final lap – without surgery. Cannot wait to hear your good news :))

My own progress is s l o w – almost imperceptible. Doc told me I’d need to ‘retrain’ ALL muscles on the right side so that’s what I’m trying to do. I make myself try to pick something up with my hand, or open a jar, or hold that onion better when I’m chopping it, or Not park in handicapped spaces or use a cain or or or or or or. Occasionally I get nice feedback – like the elderly gal who regularly visits me who said she’s noticed improvement in the last year – as I hold myself more upright when walking and my movements are more smooth. Every tiny little thing I’m able to do now that I wasn’t before is a celebration – inside at least :) I won’t give up. I will Never give up!!!

B9 – Thinking of you, Sweet One! Wish I could join you for a little dip at the beach and we could drive by my old house together :) Hope you’re keepin’ on and feeling better! Prayers for more, better, complete recovery for you. Please hang out with us when you can. I’ll feed you :)

Later. Sending Big Love. We Shall Overcome – all of it!

Opinionator on October 17, 2014 at 4:39 PM

P.S.’s Nice article, Fallon :) Love it!

At some point I added a ‘do not refresh’ program which works quite well. I’ll try to remember the name so I can look it up (on my own computer ?! lol) and link it.

Opinionator on October 17, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Try this to prevent auto-refresh. It works for me on Firefox – except for Drudge and FoxNews.com.

Opinionator on October 17, 2014 at 9:32 PM

The wedding was a determined success. If that sounds funny, it is. Daughter is the most easy going adult ever. She was never worried that something would go wrong. She was convinced it would be the “best day ever” and it pretty much was…

She wore an strapless A-line ivory satin gown with a lace jacket, very old Hollywood in its look. My granddaughter wore an ivory satin dress (same material aw mommy’s) with a black plaid sash that matched daddy’s tie. The bridesmaids were in dark green.

I’m doing this in parts so I don’t lose it.

Fallon on October 20, 2014 at 8:56 AM

The flowers were mostly hydrangeas. We switched it up and the bridesmaids carried ivory hydrangeas. The maid of honor’s had a touch of dark green and purple in them and the brides had a little more dark green and purple mixed in. It was very pretty.

The tables had hydrangeas with chunky gold glitter in the clear glass vases. I saw an arrangement online and we copied the rolled under dark green leaves in the bouquets and centerpieces.

Fallon on October 20, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Rehearsal dinner was at an Italian restaurant, family style, lovely lemon and caper chicken, pastas, caprese and Caesar salads, sausage and peppers and tiramisu. Lovely.

At the wedding, we had passed appetizers… beef wellington, brie and raspberry, pear and gorgonzola wrapped thingies.

Starter was a butternut squash soup. The guests had a choice of lamb chops, steak, chicken and veggie. I had the lamb. Each had a different starch and veggie but I really can’t remember what they were today, lol. Still banquetty but pretty good considering they were serving 175 people. We had an open bar and cabernet and chardonnay table service. I had a glass of champagne for the toast and a glass of cabernet at the table and then was too busy to drink the rest of the night. Smartest thing I did, lol.

Daughter’s cake was funfetti inside but white chocolate filling and white buttercream frosting. Kind of like this. With a “Best Day Ever” gold topper.

Late night snack of pulled pork mini sandwiches, grilled cheese bites and tomato soup shooters and s’mores outside at a fire pit. There were also sparklers outside.

Then, Sunday morning, I had a brunch for 30+ at my house. My SIL made a couple of large egg casseroles. My sister made chocolate and cinnamon pumpkin bread and a pumpkin streusel coffee cake. I made pans of oven-baked bacon a fruit platter and purchased apple cider donuts. My and hubby’s extended families all came over and we were visited by the bride, groom and granddaughter, too.

Last guests left at about 4 pm yesterday afternoon. So, today I am moving slow and enjoying the quiet.

(Oh, I sent wedding flowers to the nursing home for my mom to be included in a way with the wedding, too.)

Fallon on October 20, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Wow, Fallon! Utterly awesome!! Thank you for transporting us there. I knew I would end up crying ‘over’ your daughter’s wedding and I did, twice. “Best Day Ever” and wedding flowers for your Mom…………

The colors, rolled under leaves, Autumn touches, the food !!!, sparklers, sheer elegance mixed with a large dose of comfort… Applause & Standing Ovation !

I wish I could see photos and videos.

Extremely Well Done, {{{{{Fallon}}}}}. From finding the dress by catching that ‘sign’ – to every beautiful detail – it all sounds just spectacular!

Enjoy your well deserved rest :)

Opinionator on October 20, 2014 at 1:12 PM

I now have proof that as usual you were reading my mind before I read here or even had the thought, Fallon, lol!

Thank you so very much!!!

Your daughter is absolutely gorgeous!

Opinionator on October 20, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Fallon…Sounds like an absolutely beautiful wedding!!! Busy, busy 3 days for all involved and I’m sure your totally exhausted. Were you involved alot with the planning of the wedding? It’s kind of a let down after all the excitement isn’t it. Hope they are on a relaxing, fun honeymoon! Maybe you need to take a vacation, too. lol

wolverinefan on October 21, 2014 at 5:24 PM

OP…That’s the spirit to have, “I will never give up”! You’re doing the right thing by challenging yourself and not taking the easy way out of doing things. (reminder to self-give my mom back the handicap permit!)

Had the MRI last night so won’t have results for a few days. I actually wore something other than tennis shoes today for the first time since May!!! Talk about progress…doesn’t take much these days to make my day :)

wolverinefan on October 21, 2014 at 5:48 PM