Polls: Newt Gingrich’s favorability rating is really floundering

posted at 2:30 pm on February 15, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Americans’ gut reaction to Newt Gingrich is just really not good. Based on two recent polls, WaPo’s Aaron Blake even brands him “the most disliked politician in America.”

CNN/Opinion Research poll on Monday showed 63 percent of All Americans viewed Gingrich unfavorably, compared to just 25 percent who saw him in a positive light.

And today, a new CBS News/New York Times poll shows a similar split: 54 percent view Gingrich unfavorably, compared to 16 percent who say they feel positively predisposed towards him.

Those 38-point spreads between his favorable and unfavorable ratings are a new high for Gingrich in the 2012 campaign and tie his worst numbers from 1997, when he faced ethics troubles and a GOP revolt during his time as speaker of the House. (Fun fact: now-Sen. Al Franken joked in 1996 that Gingrich’s “favorable rating is only four points higher than the Unabomber.”)

And in fact, the numbers are worse than any national political figure The Fix could find in recent years — even, arguably, George W. Bush.

According to Blake, not even Sarah Palin at her most divisive drew these kinds of disapproving numbers.

Gingrich has been “the Zombie candidate” since Florida, where his decisive defeat abruptly halted whatever momentum he picked up in South Carolina. “Establishment” Republicans and conservatives alike have criticized his campaign and even called for him to quit the race. With Santorum’s rise, conservative consolidation about another candidate begins to seem possible. Yet, Gingrich insists that he will remain in the presidential race clear up to the convention.

It’s hard not to believe him: Money and organization will be an issue, but he has engineered two highly unpredictable comebacks on the campaign trail so far. He probably won’t be able to pull off a third, but his brand of articulate anger toward Obama and his recycled strategy of positivity toward the other candidates might enable him to weather any number of disappointing primary rounds. Not even these approval numbers compel me to discount his persistence.

But he might want to give some thought to this question: If he stays in the race too long, will the power of his voice be diminished post-election? As a presidential candidate, Newt elicits a negative visceral reaction, but, as an author and the force behind films like “Nine Days that Changed the World,” he provides a valuable perspective to the conservative movement — a perspective born of the institutional memory he loves to deny as he claims “outsider” status on the campaign trail … and also born of the lessons he’s learned from unsavory life experiences that are a liability to him in electoral politics.

Given all that Newt Gingrich has done for the conservative movement — and all that he could continue to do in the roles he played before he ran for president, it would be an immense shame if his appetite for the presidency caused the rest of the country to lose its appetite for his non-political projects.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Amjean on February 15, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Thank you. You said it better than I did. Much more tactful.

Rose on February 15, 2012 at 3:29 PM

LOL I was going to respond to that too, until I read Amjean’s response. Nothing left to say after that!

Night Owl on February 15, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I find Romney to be much more unlikeable than Newt. He is alsmost as arrogant as Obama. And his attck ads on other Republicans are way over the top with lies. He is not a nice man He would do anything to win.

Bullhead on February 15, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Night Owl on February 15, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Concur!

Lots of winning people coming out these days!

astonerii on February 15, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Go Team Santorum!!!

multiuseless on February 15, 2012 at 3:52 PM

It was his to win, or lose.

Speakup on February 15, 2012 at 3:39 PM

That is not true. At the beginnin, no one paid that much attention to him, until he started to shine during the debates. He had good ideas and he was positive. Romney is to blame for all this, and for that, I hope he has to leave this race in humiliation. He is an a$$hole, and he deserves where he is now.

Night Owl on February 15, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Bullhead on February 15, 2012 at 3:49 PM

I agree. I think Newt’s endorsers are much more impressive than the ones Romney has. I wish they would get out and do more to help him. I went straight from Palin to Gingrich, so I can’t be accused of switching from one to another, but I will vote for Santorum if I have to. NO ROMNEY!

Night Owl on February 15, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Someone once asked a Gingrich colleague why so many people took such an instant and visceral dislike to the Speaker.

He replied, “It saves time.”

MessesWithTexas on February 15, 2012 at 3:59 PM

MessesWithTexas on February 15, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Now that is funny, I do not care who you are. Or who you support.

Alrighty guys, the sooner we fall behind, the longer we have to make it up!

astonerii on February 15, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Oh, and Thank You Tina for giving us Gingrich people a place to hide out for a little while during the day! I find the Santorum v Romney threads so boring for some reason, except when borntoraisehogs got banned.

Night Owl on February 15, 2012 at 4:05 PM

As I have mentioned before, my daughter, a College Republican, states it clearly: “There’s no way Americans are going to elect a fat, old guy who left Congress under a cloud, has been married three times and has more baggage than O’Hare.”

bw222 on February 15, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Churchill was Old and Fat and Drank too Much but he did alright. George Washington had wooden teeth (eeewh) but he did alright.

Napolean was short but he achieved some success.

King Saul was tall, handsome and popular. Things did not turn out so well for him.

Appearances can deceive!

Ronald Reagan had a divorce but managed to be a great president anyway.

FDR, Jack Kennedy, Bill Clinton all had affairs but gots lots of women’s votes.

The cloud for Gingrich when he left Congress was not the phoney charges that Pelosi filed against him but the loss of seats in the 1998 election that did him in.

We are not going to marry the person we vote for president. What is important is ideas and skills.

KW64 on February 15, 2012 at 4:12 PM

You never know – he may have a great debate next week and blammo – he’s back. This primary race changes every week.

If he latches onto another lifeline and comes back, I still won’t vote for him. But it will be interesting to watch.

Philly on February 15, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Night Owl on February 15, 2012 at 4:05 PM

+1000
And b/c the way Mitt ran his campaign with dishonesty , I will not vote for him that is not a good quality to have in a president.

evergreenland on February 15, 2012 at 4:15 PM

He blew it.
The Bain stuff was a stumble…someone should have gotten that across to him, and people probably tried, but when he launched into the hurt/starve or whatever the Holocaust victims, he jumped the shark big time.
He would have done better if he would have ignored the bait the Romney dropped in front of him….but noooo he had to bite and then refuse to spit it out.
Oh well…he’s toast imo.
Go Rick!

Mimzey on February 15, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Explain the attack that was from the left. I would really love to see what it was you think you witnessed.

astonerii on February 15, 2012 at 3:11 PM

The Bain attack…or do you foolishly believe that was an attack from the right. I bet you do.

rubberneck on February 15, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Gingrich wouldn’t be my choice, but then again, I prefer to think of it as I’m saving Gingrich from having the legacy of when the US economy collapsed on his watch. I’d rather that albatross hang on the neck of Obama. The light at the end of the tunnel is a train, I’d rather the Republicans not have the WH when (not if) we get hit by it.

TulsAmerican on February 15, 2012 at 4:30 PM

KW64 on February 15, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Most of the leaders you cited were before the age of photos in newspapers, not to mention TV.

Reagan was divorced from Jane Wyman for several years before he started dating Nancy Davis. Divorce happens, particularly in the late 20th and early 21st centuries; people understand that. What they don’t understand is someone having repeated affairs throughout much of his adult life, particularly if that someone is having an affair while trying to impeach a President for perjury resulting from his extramarital affair.

bw222 on February 15, 2012 at 4:37 PM

rubberneck on February 15, 2012 at 4:23 PM

So, you think Romney’s Bain making $12m is a good thing when he made it from defrauding American taxpayers out of hundreds of millions of dollars of medicare funds? Attacking activity like comes from what side of the argument?

Take your time, I am sure you have a sure fire reason why it is an attack from the left.

astonerii on February 15, 2012 at 4:38 PM

talkingpoints on February 15, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Well…

… at least your screen name is honest, I’ll give you that.

But you forgot to add that Newt is now a Grandfather…

… and he thinks leaving behind a +$16 Trillion debt for his Grandchildren to pay isn’t such a good idea.

Newt is the only candidate running for President that actually cut government…

… Not “cut” as in an increase in spending of only 7% instead of 10%, but actual cuts in the bureaucracy.

THAT is why he is so hated by the political elite ruling class that he used to work with…

… They know he is serious and he will actually do it.

And we can’t have THAT now, can we…?

Seven Percent Solution on February 15, 2012 at 4:39 PM

bw222 on February 15, 2012 at 4:37 PM

I hope you didn’t vote for John McCain, seeing as how he and Cindy were having an affair while he was still married to his first wife.

Rose on February 15, 2012 at 4:42 PM

astonerii on February 15, 2012 at 3:11 PM

rubberneck on February 15, 2012 at 4:23 PM

astonerii has it correct.

rubberneck, I doubt if you even understand the issue as Newt explained it. The pundits and the MSM twisted and distorted what Newt was actually saying. There are a few posters here on HA that do understand it and you need to read what they have to say instead of repeating the left’s talking points.

bluefox on February 15, 2012 at 5:04 PM

bw222 on February 15, 2012 at 4:37 PM

I think it’s naive to think that Gingrich’s past love life is important at this point in time, especially since it was over ten years ago. If you are pious enough for that to be important, aren’t you also supposed to forgive someone when they admit they did something wrong and have shown every sign they are not going to do it again? That is pretty unchristian of you.

I don’t which morally perfect candidate you are supporting, but all I see in those threads are each side insulting the others’ religion. I am looking for someone who can go to Washington and be ready from day one to start turning things around. I don’t think either other candidate can do that. I want someone who is not afraid of being disliked, because, believe me, if someone is going to do what needs to be done they are not going to be liked. I think Santorum is a “company guy” and is more establishment than Newt. I think Romney is a democrat, like Bloomberg.

I think maybe social conservatives ought to spend more time working in their neighborhoods changing individual lives than to expect government to do it for them, but that’s just me.

Night Owl on February 15, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Newt is on with Hannity now.

bluefox on February 15, 2012 at 5:07 PM

The people who are calling for Newt to drop out are the same establishment bastards from his own party who have done a collosal hatchet job on him.

He should stay in the race and tell them all to go straight to hell.

Go Newt!

Reggie1971 on February 15, 2012 at 5:36 PM

I just heard him on Hannity and it didn’t sound like he has any plan to drop out anytime soon!

Night Owl on February 15, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Bullhead on February 15, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Night Owl on February 15, 2012 at 3:59 PM

If Romney gets the nomination, my family, in fact most of my extended family will not bother to show up and vote. None of us can stomach Romney and the destruction he would cause to the GOP brand.

I don’t think we are alone in this either. If Romney gets the nod, a lot of local conservative politicians and issues will not get the votes they need. ( Of course I live in California, so there aren’t any.)

JeffVader on February 15, 2012 at 5:47 PM

He should stay in the race and tell them all to go straight to hell.

Go Newt!

Reggie1971 on February 15, 2012 at 5:36 PM

I agree. And I have a feeling that Santorum is on the same team as Mitt. Why else would the Romney SuperPACs continue to attack Newt, even in Michigan where Rick is got momentum?

JeffVader on February 15, 2012 at 5:49 PM

But we need him to win a bunch of states for Project Brokered Convention.

EddieC on February 15, 2012 at 5:56 PM

JeffVader on February 15, 2012 at 5:47 PM

You are not alone, but I am getting my family set up to vote Obama if it is Romney. They understand what reputation means, and Romney will destroy the (R) reputation.

astonerii on February 15, 2012 at 5:59 PM

I would take Newt anyday over the other remaining candidates.
At least with him you know what he plans to do, with the others you you have to guess and what is Santorum’s actual accomplishments? I am not trying to put him down, I would just like to know his achievements.

Tn.-Vol on February 15, 2012 at 6:06 PM

JeffVader on February 15, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Then you are a fool and deserve to see Supreme Court Justice Eric Holder deciding things for the next few decades.

Amazingly you don’t have to vote straight ticket, or even for every office. Deciding you don’t like a single candidate so you won’t vote at all has all the earmarks of 06, when “A message needed to be sent.” The result of that message? Obamacare and a Congress that even when flipped to the Republicans can’t get anything through the Senate- a Senate that contains many of the Senators who will be there again if Republicans decide they just want to “send a message” again. And the results will be more legislation you find infuriating.

One thing the left gets right is they know that even minor victories can give them the chance to win big next time. Many on the right on the other hand seems to think that if they just take their ball and go home something magical will happen and the perfect candidate will materialize.

Why isn’t there a better candidate running right now? Cause the right took out their rising stars in 06 and 08 by not backing them because they wanted to send their message. Well the message was sent. And today it is getting “Returned to Sender” and instead of focusing on places where a difference can be made many seem to want to send the same message to the same place.

Maybe Eric Holder will send you a “Thank You” note on the day he is sworn in to the Supreme Court for all your efforts on his behalf then. Because guess what, there are a lot of people who seem to be saying “I won’t vote at all if my preferred candidate isn’t the nominee- and they aren’t all going to one person. So in effect those who can’t focus on even the little parts of victory- local, state, Congressional and Senate (where the next batch of candidates are born) are guarantying a lose today and for years to come.

If you chose not to vote because you don’t like one person on the ticket, you are a useful idiot in assuring that you will never have someone at the top of the ticket who has a chance at changing things. Taking your ball and going home is the resort of 8 year olds- and they don’t win by doing so either.

Betenoire on February 15, 2012 at 6:19 PM

*s/b loss today.

Betenoire on February 15, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Night Owl on February 15, 2012 at 5:42 PM

LOL, I heard more ideas and more solutions!!

Go Newt!!

bluefox on February 15, 2012 at 6:33 PM

JeffVader on February 15, 2012 at 5:47 PM

I know how you might feel. Try to rethink not voting. With all of the fraud that will be committed, we need every vote to even have a chance to win!!

bluefox on February 15, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Go Newt!

Connie on February 15, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Betenoire on February 15, 2012 at 6:19 PM

So true. Everyone needs to think about what you’ve stated and reconsider. Many stayed home in 2008 and that wasn’t helpful. With what our Country has been thru since 2009, no one can afford to stay home.

bluefox on February 15, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Concern troll?

GaltBlvnAtty on February 15, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Go Newt! The only conservative-leaning, go-get-them, well-informed person in the race. Santorum is too divisive, Paul is nuts on foreign policy, and Romney is democrat-lite (O’RomneyCare anyone?).

While I could hold my nose and vote for Paul, it would pain me to do so. I would have to really hold it hard to vote for Santorum, and I do not believe that either could get enough votes in the general to beat Obama. I could not hold my nose hard enough to vote for the democrat on the republican stage. I would have to vote third party, and for whatever down-ticket conservatives on the ballot.

annexwcp on February 15, 2012 at 7:16 PM

“Given all that Newt Gingrich has done for the conservative movement”……

Ah, there’s the rub. You would think that he deserves a modicum of respect as an elder statesman of the Party. But no, the establishment and pundits alike have no problem with diminishing and ridiculing him. I’ve always thought that conservatism meant honoring the accomplishments of those who went before. Apparently not.

saspepper on February 15, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Note that Romney’s support in this poll is more than Santorum’s and Gingrich’s combined. As Time put it, “For now, everything is coming up Romney.” If Santorum and Gingrich are serious that they want to team up against Romney, now would definitely be the time. Indeed, if Gingrich does go crazy on offense against Mitt in New Hampshire, then that could significantly help Santorum in South Carolina.

Tina’s Tea Leaves from 1-6-12 … just 5 weeks ago.

Under a headline …

Time/CNN/ORC poll in SC: Romney 37, Santorum 19, Gingrich 18

Final in SC …

Newt Gingrich 243,172 40.4%
Mitt Romney 167,297 27.8%
Rick Santorum 102,061 17%
Ron Paul 78,000 13%

Perhaps at some point … commentators might admit they have no idea what is going to happen?

MarkCasper on February 15, 2012 at 8:08 PM

…it would be an immense shame if his appetite for the presidency caused the rest of the country to lose its appetite for his non-political projects.

Which ones, the big government projects or the anti-capitalist projects?

ray on February 15, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Former Nistas and former Bachistas and former Perrykrishnas and former Newtered hardest hit.

CW on February 15, 2012 at 9:25 PM

So Hot Air, where has all this Newt bashing gotten you?

Santorum and Romney keep sinking in the polls.

But go ahead and keep bashing Newt, since your plan seems to be to re-elect Obama.

tkyang99 on February 15, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Okay Newt fans, It’s over! Newt just can’t win a general election because, sadly, women hate him. You have 2 choices now (1) stick with Newt and settle for Mitt or (2) switch to Rick to save us from Mitt. Don’t wake up in a road side ditch, switch to Rick!

Dollayo on February 15, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Dollayo on February 15, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Yes, we women can’t wait to vote for the guy who wants us to spend our lives procreating.

saspepper on February 15, 2012 at 10:36 PM

CW on February 15, 2012 at 9:25 PM

We are not hard hit at all! We are optimistic and waiting for Romney to finally realize all his money and sliming isn’t going to get him what he wants. Again.

Night Owl on February 15, 2012 at 10:39 PM

“Given all that Newt Gingrich has done for the conservative movement”……

Yeah, like throwing them under the bus over and over and over again.

amnesty
health care mandate
cap and trade
raising taxes under Clinton
ridiculing Paul Ryan
Fannie and Freddie

Yeah, that Newt is one heck of a great guy. s/

fight like a girl on February 15, 2012 at 10:40 PM

saspepper on February 15, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Stupid, unfounded comments like that are why we have Obama in the white House. Don’t be such a tool of the left.

fight like a girl on February 15, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Dollayo on February 15, 2012 at 9:44 PM

I’m a woman and I don’t hate him. I’m not looking to marry him. I’m looking for a guy to do a job for four years. I believe Newt is the best of the three to do that job. It’s not over yet!

Night Owl on February 15, 2012 at 10:43 PM

I haven’t made up my mind about Rick Santorum yet, but I’m getting really fed up with the issue about his kids and the school district being dredged up again when it doesn’t seem that he did anything terribly wrong. It is addressed here for the phony attack it is:

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Revives Phony Santorum Scandal

IMO, the Post-Gazette has always been a liberal rag and they have historically been very anti-Catholic. But once upon a time, they were somewhat readable. Now they are Pittsburgh’s version of the NYT and WaPo all rolled into one. They are like the rest of the MSM who don’t bother to hide their biases for the Dems and smugly parade their idiotic liberal talking points as if it’s the only approved view to have. And for that, they shouldn’t be given one iota of credence, just as any other liberal so-called “news” organization.

PatriotGal2257 on February 15, 2012 at 10:45 PM

fight like a girl on February 15, 2012 at 10:43 PM

You sound like a Romney supporter.

Night Owl on February 15, 2012 at 10:45 PM

saspepper on February 15, 2012 at 10:36 PM

I don’t understand it either but polls say that women hate Newt. Don’t ask me to explain it, I am constantly amazed at who and why Americans vote as they do.

Dollayo on February 15, 2012 at 10:45 PM

saspepper on February 15, 2012 at 10:36 PM

I guess you would rather vote for a man who couldn’t keep his pants zipped, disrespected his marriage vows and treats women like objects? You go girl!

fight like a girl on February 15, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Concern troll?

GaltBlvnAtty on February 15, 2012 at 7:10 PM

I’m going to guess, yes.

Night Owl on February 15, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Night Owl on February 15, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Nope. Santorum.

fight like a girl on February 15, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Dollayo on February 15, 2012 at 10:45 PM

You were being sarcastic, weren’t you? I mean, women don’t usually gravitate toward serial adulterers who left two wives when they became seriously ill.

fight like a girl on February 15, 2012 at 10:51 PM

He should stay in the race and tell them all to go straight to hell.

Go Newt!

Reggie1971 on February 15, 2012 at 5:36 PM

This. ^^^

If the establishment GOP hates conservatives so much, they should just get the hell out and become the “moderate” wing of the Democrat party. They are beneath contempt.

PatriotGal2257 on February 15, 2012 at 10:55 PM

“Given all that Newt Gingrich has done for the conservative movement”……

saspepper on February 15, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Exactly. This has been one interesting primary so far. I was actually watching in 1994, every night on CSPAN. My dad and I would stay up till 3:00 in the morning. It was like watching the Steelers win the Super Bowl (I’m in western PA). Newt would get the Democrats so mad they would all march out. The floor speeches were great too. I don’t care what anyone says, this guy knows how to get the job done. He deserves better than what he’s gotten, just like Sarah Palin.

Night Owl on February 15, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Nope. Santorum.

fight like a girl on February 15, 2012 at 10:48 PM

I’m aware who you are supporting, I said who you sound like. Your talking points for Santorum are the personal attacks rather than policy differences. Newt is not perfect, none of them are. Calling someone stupid and a tool because they don’t agree with you is pretty childish, and not really a good persuasion technique.

Night Owl on February 15, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Night Owl on February 15, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Yes I remember also. It is disgusting the way people are treating him. I do think he is the only one we can trust to make the right decisions as president.

Rose on February 15, 2012 at 11:08 PM

PatriotGal2257 on February 15, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I’d be willing to trade them for the southern Blue Dog Democrats!

Night Owl on February 15, 2012 at 11:08 PM

fight like a girl on February 15, 2012 at 10:40 PM

It’s almost admirable how Gingrich supporters can be so firm in their belief that he’s a conservative no matter how bloody obvious the facts to the contrary become – even to the point where they’ll just flat out ignore everything that doesn’t fit into their preconveived notions. Remind you of anyone? Shouldn’t be a surprise, really; Gingrich IS a progressive, after all, so it’d make sense that his followers act like them.

CanofSand on February 15, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Rose on February 15, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Well, it’s not over yet. The way the Santorum people and the Romney people are going at each other….

Night Owl on February 15, 2012 at 11:11 PM

I’d be willing to trade them for the southern Blue Dog Democrats!

Night Owl on February 15, 2012 at 11:08 PM

That would be a good swap!

PatriotGal2257 on February 15, 2012 at 11:13 PM

fight like a girl on February 15, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Not really, Night Owl makes a good point.

I’m not looking to marry him.

Night Owl on February 15, 2012 at 10:43 PM

I can understand why you might not vote Newt for husband but these kind of personal issues shouldn’t really matter to most people when they vote for President. It does speak to the candidate’s character but when you are running against Obama what difference does that make? However, I guess a significant number of women hold these things, or something else against Newt to the point where they refuse to vote for the guy. In any event, I don’t think the current polls are lying, something about Newt sure does piss women off.

Dollayo on February 15, 2012 at 11:15 PM

CanofSand on February 15, 2012 at 11:09 PM

I don’t have pre-conceived notions. The things you claim he did that weren’t conservative were not while he was in office, and frankly, he did sometimes go off on tangents. They don’t amount to a hill of beans in the overall scheme of things, when he has a job to do he is focused and productive. I don’t know who you support, but there have been days and days of Romney v Santorum threads, all with evidence that those two are not any better, plus they don’t have the advantage of Newt’s brain and as good a record of past accomplishments. I could care less about the conservative label, I care what people actually do. If Santorum ends up the nominee, I will vote for him. I doubt he can win the election, but I will vote for him.

Night Owl on February 15, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Dollayo on February 15, 2012 at 11:15 PM

That may well be true, but I don’t decide what I think based on polls. You can say Newt has a character defect when it comes to women, and I would be hard pressed to disagree. The only reason it would matter in a President is if could lead to blackmail or whatever. Newt’s baggage has been pretty well vetted, so no chance of that.

Here’s something else I think is a charachter defect. Ruining someone else’s reputation by spending $17 million dollars to smear them with half truths and outright lies. I would never trust anyone who has a PAC do his dirty work and pretend he had nothing to do with it. I could never vote for someone so untrustworthy.

As for Santorum, I think he would make a good VP, but I don’t feel he is ready to be the President, although I will vote for him if he is the nominee.

Night Owl on February 15, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Dollayo on February 15, 2012 at 11:15 PM

I think any poll can be manipulated to show whatever it is someone wants to show. Personally, I’m not at all pissed off by Newt. Whatever his many foibles, you can at least see he does have a visceral hatred for this country.

But I am dead serious when I say I am pissed off every day Obama is in office.

PatriotGal2257 on February 15, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Night Owl on February 15, 2012 at 11:18 PM

You prove my point.

CanofSand on February 15, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Oh, for crying out loud. This is what I get when I don’t proofread.

Whatever Newt’s many foibles, and I know he has many, you can at least see he does not have a visceral hatred for this country.

It’s getting late and I’m turning in for the night.

Goodnight everyone.

PatriotGal2257 on February 15, 2012 at 11:32 PM

One thing is for sure, Santorum and Romney bring out the worst in their supporters. I wonder if these people are as nasty in real life as they are here.

Rose on February 15, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Rose on February 15, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Only half as nasty as Newt himself.

ray on February 15, 2012 at 11:51 PM

But I am dead serious when I say I am pissed off every day Obama is in office.

PatriotGal2257 on February 15, 2012 at 11:28 PM

I agree about how easy it is to manipulate polls, but every single poll shows Newt losing the vote of women by more than anyone else. Together these polls carry more weight than just a single poll result. Polls show a long history of Newt polling poorly among women on every poll from USA Today/Gallup to Rasmussen and everything in between. I beleive that to ignore this polling data is to be in denial.

Dollayo on February 15, 2012 at 11:56 PM

You prove my point.

CanofSand on February 15, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Re-read your post. You don’t have a point. You just ramble on about progressives and conservatives. I have looked at all three of the candidates and I have decided who I think would best do the job required at this time. I just went back and read your post again. You sound like Obama. A lot of words conveying nothing.

Night Owl on February 15, 2012 at 11:59 PM

ray on February 15, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Romney spends 17 million dollars on attack ads, mostly half truths and also lies. I say Romney wins the nasty award as far as candidates go.

Rose on February 16, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Rose on February 16, 2012 at 12:05 AM

That is certainly true.

Night Owl on February 16, 2012 at 12:08 AM

You are transparent to those of us who have functioning brains.

The choics are 1) the liberal who had his dog ride on the roof of his car to Canada and fostered the Obamacare healthcare mandate, 2) the social conservative without
a record who pretended to live in an empty home so he could get indistrict tuition for his children, 3) the whacko who cannot even be understood 50% of the time and 4) a personally flawed conservative(the three marriages)
who knows how Washington works,
has had a high conservative rating and did a great job with
The Contract With America in the mid nineties.

The slandering of Newt just shows how the mainstream and not so mainstream media feeds bs to voters
so they lean the way the media wants. One can also add in the
lies spread via one of campaign rivals.

Amjean on February 15, 2012 at 3:22 PM

This primary season has been none like any other I remember and I have been voting since early eighties. I’m sure there was presidential history before that time but as Rush says, “our perspective of history begins from the day we are born.” I digress… My point is- people are obviously NOT wedded to the candidates yet. It has been a different poll each week. Come on now, who would have seen Santorum on top back in October? It’s crazy. I still believe that Newt is the best prepared candidate- not perfect- to take on the issues as needed in this cycle of history. That’s my choice and I’m stickin’ to it.

1nolibgal on February 15, 2012 at 3:22 PM

That was BS, and all Newt and his friends did was show that narrative for the BS it was. Nobody was going to believe an attack on Romney through his association with Bain Capital could be made until Gingrich’s friends went and made it. Newt wasn’t trying to make folks walk away with the idea that Romney ate babies for breakfast with Bain Capital, he was making folks walk away with the idea that nominating Romney was not going to lead to a general election cakewalk, and primary voters needed to look harder at the candidates instead of falling for some BS about “electability.”

Sekhmet on February 15, 2012 at 3:18 PM

I do not see Bain attacks as being from the left. Being a conservative includes being an honest broker, Bain did not seem to be that in many cases. Bringing up those failings is an attack from the right. Legal business practices are not always morally good business practices.

Bain made $12M off of buying and selling a company that while they were in control got so greedy that they stole hundreds of millions of dollars from medicare and medicaid. He was able to flip that company and walk away richer because of that bad activity. He was either a piss poor executive there or he was part of the fraud. Easily an attack from the RIGHT when attacking Bain.

astonerii on February 15, 2012 at 3:24 PM

(There’s a big difference between corporatism and capitalism)

Thank you. What a pleasant surprise to find some Newt supporters in this thread. Figured it was just another ‘this isn’t about winning; this is about destroying Newt’ piece/comments on Hot Air.

Never seen anything like the concerted Romney republican elite establishment/media effort to bring Newt down. Even worse than what was done to Sarah Palin, IMO.

IndeCon on February 16, 2012 at 9:28 AM

I beleive that to ignore this polling data is to be in denial.

Dollayo on February 15, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Knowing what you know about the media in general, namely, how they skew every story about conservatives in a negative light and oftentimes make up stuff out of whole cloth, what’s to stop them from leaving out data or skewing a poll to show what they want it to show to fit their all-important narrative? Nothing, in my opinion.

Shouldn’t it tell you something that not one, but several polls all tend to say the same thing? Just as there are no coincidences in politics, there are no coincidences in journalism either, and I would think that with all the examples of the media coordinating their “messages,” you’d see that they are just as much subject to manipulation as their stories are.

In short, just because a bunch of polls show Newt has an unfavorable image to women doesn’t mean that it should be trusted. I’m very skeptical of all of it and until the media can prove they are acting in good faith – which will never happen, IMO – they are not to be trusted.

PatriotGal2257 on February 16, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Anyone who regards Gingrich as a conservative leader either was born after he left power and never bothered to talk to those who served with him, or are just idiots. He’s screwed conservatives repeatedly, and was an ineffective leader.

Newt wants credit for the budgets produced by hard work in committees without any help from him. After early 1995, he spent the rest of his Speakership trying to deal away conservative gains for some elusive grand deal with Democrats, trying to grab the spotlight, or defending against ethics charges which resulted from his long history of walking the tightrope on ethics. It was conservatives who booted him from the Speaker’s chair – not because of ethics, but because he was ineffective and counterproductive.

Newt has always been about Newt first, last, and always. Every one who ever trusted him ended up with a knife in the back.

The high point of his approval since 1996 was around MINUS 20%. America hates him, because America knows him.

Adjoran on February 16, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Yep, Newt is getting the old Sarah Palin treatment, from both sides. This only makes me believe he is the best man to run this country at this time.

DDay on February 16, 2012 at 12:50 PM

DDay on February 16, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Yep. Deserves to be repeated.

PatriotGal2257 on February 16, 2012 at 1:53 PM