Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on February 15, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Generally speaking, incumbent Presidents who run for re-election either focus on their accomplishments in the first term or try to scare the hell out of voters about their challengers. LBJ did the latter to Barry Goldwater with his infamous “Daisy” ad, for instance.  Barack Obama has a novel approach — nostalgia.  Last week, his campaign released a four-and-half minute video called “The Story of Us,” which sounds like a bad romantic comedy.  And in fact, Obama and his campaign want voters to focus on the romance rather than the marriage, as fully half of the video covers the 2007-8 campaign rather than Obama’s presidency:

Bloomberg editorial board member Michael Newman noticed this yesterday:

Anything that reduces five years to four minutes and 32 seconds, the length of “The Story of Us,” is going to leave some stuff out. As a campaign video, it can’t be expected to highlight Obama’s record on Guantanamo or his management of Congress. Even so, from watching “The Story of Us” it’s easy to get the impression that Barack Obama was better as a candidate than he’s been as president — which sounds a lot like one of the standard right-wing critiques of the 44th president.

The video starts on Feb. 10, 2007, when then-Senator Obama steps to a podium in front of the Illinois State Capitol in Springfield to announce his candidacy. He wins Iowa. He survives an attack of lip-synching singers and actorsShepard Fairey makes a poster of him. He talks on his cellphone while smiling handsomely. He names Joe Biden his running mate. He accepts his party’s nomination for president of the United States. He brushes off insults from the Evil Villain Sarah Palin (actually, that clip is from a speech about Hillary Clinton, but — never mind). He dances with Ellen DeGeneres while smiling handsomely. He fist-bumps Michelle. Michelle fist-bumps hosts of “The View.” He votes for himself, after which he smiles handsomely.

Finally, at precisely two minutes and 13 seconds into the video, we reach Jan. 20, 2009, when Obama is sworn in, although he doesn’t really start working for another 10 seconds.

So what makes it into the final two minutes? Er … the Lily Ledbetter Act, and Obama doing his cover of Al Green’s “Let’s Stay Together.”  I think for this to work, Obama’s going to need a quartet of Barry White, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, and Harry Connick, Jr.  I’m not sure that even that all-star lineup would distract people enough to realize that it’s not 2008 any longer, and Obama’s record on the economy has been a disaster.

Comments

Just cannot bring myself to click on the video…

OmahaConservative on February 15, 2012 at 8:07 AM

I’m not watching his crappy ad.

Did he trade in his marchin’ shoes for his tap dancin’ shoes to tell this story?

ted c on February 15, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Come on guys! I want to be cool again!

FLconservative on February 15, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Just cannot bring myself to click on the video…

OmahaConservative on February 15, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Just waaaaaay too early to listen to Captain Kickass!

herm2416 on February 15, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Written by Bill Ayers?

TimBuk3 on February 15, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Just like the high-school jock who, when reduced to working a 9 to 5 job, can’t seem to mentally get passed his glory days, barack can’t seem to get passed his glory days when throngs of people worshiped at his feet. He is an unmitigated disaster. He knows it.

DuctTapeMyBrain on February 15, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Just cannot bring myself to click on the video…

OmahaConservative on February 15, 2012 at 8:07 AM

I’m with you OC. Just reading Newman’s synopsis was enough to nauseate me.

Flora Duh on February 15, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Lame.

AZCoyote on February 15, 2012 at 8:17 AM

I’m not clicking on the video either, but it sounds like a reminder that his whole campaign was a matter of style over substance.

backwoods conservative on February 15, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Yet conservatives are continually being accused of wanting to take the country back in time.

Mitoch55 on February 15, 2012 at 8:19 AM

That’s one home movie I refuse to watch.

Beaglemom on February 15, 2012 at 8:20 AM

This is a good sign. They have nothing to run on.

Dextrous on February 15, 2012 at 8:22 AM

How long until the tub?

rogerb on February 15, 2012 at 8:22 AM

And he’s at 50% approval…Wtf?

cmsinaz on February 15, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Video no clickie.

petefrt on February 15, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Just cannot bring myself to click on the video…

OmahaConservative on February 15, 2012 at 8:07 AM

I did and am dumber for the experience.

steved95 on February 15, 2012 at 8:25 AM

SCoaMF

redmama on February 15, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Not for a million dollars would I watch that.

gophergirl on February 15, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Trying to get his minions whipped up by reviving the glory days seems like a losing proposition to me.All style and no substance.I don’t believe the 50% approval rating either-all a smokescreen.

jeffinsjvca on February 15, 2012 at 8:32 AM

And he’s at 50% approval…Wtf?

cmsinaz on February 15, 2012 at 8:24 AM

No! It should be W T F !
I saw the ad already, so I didn’t click it on. Who wants to start their day that way? Just reading about it makes my coffee bitter!

KOOLAID2 on February 15, 2012 at 8:35 AM

But, but, but….he’s cool!

Yeah, that is what I base my vote on, whether or not a candidate is cool. We need a complete overhaul in the White House, Congress, and all government agencies. It is past time to clean out the entrenched evil that resides there at ALL levels.

ConservativeMom on February 15, 2012 at 8:36 AM

The thought of watching this gave me a craving for a B12 shot.

docflash on February 15, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Imma gonna guess there is plenty of time to be reprogrammed with all the ads a billion dollars will buy… I’ll pass on this one.

Fallon on February 15, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Campaign Slogan:

Obama 2012. Because he was so cool in 2008.

Dextrous on February 15, 2012 at 8:44 AM

I am sorry to say that I did watch the ad, and now I want to go to stab my eyes out and bleach my brain!!

One thing that I must say, is while the ad would be good if he had some positive accomplishments, it clearly illustrates that he is an empty suit.

Freed0m28 on February 15, 2012 at 8:44 AM

“Look, I know I’m a failure, but remember when you thought I was God? Come on, guys. Let’s do that again. Pleeeeeeeeeeeease?”

/BHO

Key West Reader on February 15, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be.

lynncgb on February 15, 2012 at 8:48 AM

But he’s so cool!

Cindy Munford on February 15, 2012 at 8:49 AM

So, the only “accomplishment” of his presidency that his campaign feels is noteworthy is the bill he signed in to law within weeks of taking office. If that doesn’t tell you all you need to know about this joker, I don’t know what does.

Syzygy on February 15, 2012 at 8:50 AM

I think for this to work, Obama’s going to need a quartet of Barry White, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, and Harry Connick, Jr. I’m not sure that even that all-star lineup would distract people enough to realize that it’s not 2008 any longer, and Obama’s record on the economy has been a disaster.

Throw in noted left-wing crooner Tony Bennett and you’d have a sell-out crowd!

bryan2369 on February 15, 2012 at 8:50 AM

U.S. city average price of unleaded regular gasoline

December 2008: $1.689 per gallon

Current Average: $3.518 per gallon

ITguy on February 15, 2012 at 8:52 AM

When you have no future you go with the past. Please, just go.

Yoop on February 15, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Yeah, that is what I base my vote on, whether or not a candidate is cool.

ConservativeMom on February 15, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Sadly there are those for whom your sarcasm is reality.

Think: “Jon Stewart voter” and you’ll want to cry.

Lost in Jersey on February 15, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Not for a million dollars would I watch that.

gophergirl on February 15, 2012 at 8:32 AM

I’ll see your million and raise you $3.8 trillion!

Jeffster on February 15, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Now we know why he signed Westminster Abbey’s guest book ’2008.’ He can’t let go of those memories. Before actual work started, and failures piled up.

Schwalbe Me-262 on February 15, 2012 at 8:55 AM

And the title…. “The Story of Us”.

How creepy.

Key West Reader on February 15, 2012 at 8:55 AM

As a golfer, the use of President Obama in golf attire and and bowing toward Mecca says a considerable amount about our leaders faith and his misplaced – and he’s all alone in his quest for the power he does not deserve and will not attain.

MSGTAS on February 15, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Oil spill? What oil spill?

Ben Hur on February 15, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Theme Song Response: Bad Romance.

Sherrytex on February 15, 2012 at 9:00 AM

That video left out a ton of awesome stuff…

Not closing Gitmo
Harvard police acting stupidly
Airforce One freaking out New York City
Bowing to a variety of foreign leaders
Catholic contraceptive HHS screw-up
Olympic games in Chicago fail (I give him a pass on this)
Van Jones resigning
2010 midterm shelacking
Lots of golfing
Solyndra scandal
Fast and Furious scandal
US Treasuries downgrade
GDP revisions
Uprising in Iran
Uprising in Egypt
War with Libya
More golf

St Gaudens on February 15, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Oil spill? What oil spill?

Ben Hur on February 15, 2012 at 8:57 AM

1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzllR24e-FY

2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCOz-ShZwTs

ITguy on February 15, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Just cannot bring myself to click on the video…

OmahaConservative on February 15, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Me neither.

He reminds me of someone running for head cheerleader in high school. Very annoying and completely without substance.

elm on February 15, 2012 at 9:14 AM

And the title…. “The Story of Us”.

How creepy.

Key West Reader on February 15, 2012 at 8:55 AM

I agree, it’s creepy!

tinkerthinker on February 15, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Gotta wonder how many packs of cigarettes he smoked through the years of nostalgia. Doesn’t his insurance pay for smoking cessation meds?

elm on February 15, 2012 at 9:16 AM

In an interview yesterday, Obama was asked why he was unable to cut the deficit in half during his first term. His response was “Well we’re not there because this recession turned out to be a lot deeper than any of else realized” (via real clear politics)

Someone should ask Obama why he ignored the Deficit Commission he set up. Odd that Simpson & Bowles were not included in the video of “The Story of Us”.

TN Mom on February 15, 2012 at 9:20 AM

I don’t believe the 50% approval rating either-all a smokescreen.

jeffinsjvca on February 15, 2012 at 8:32 AM

That’s the fuzzy math you get when you include the 24% on the voter registration role that are dead. Of course those who are dead know there is a God, so that accounts for why only 50% thinks he’s cool.

elm on February 15, 2012 at 9:21 AM

And the title…. “The Story of Us”.

How creepy.

Key West Reader on February 15, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Not to mention there was a movie by that title (Bruce Willis, Michelle Pfeiffer 1999) and a Taylor Swift song in 2011. Does his campign have anything original?

D-fusit on February 15, 2012 at 9:23 AM

I ain’t watching that first thing. I’ll just comment based on the comments, Uh huh, Uh huh. Uh huh. Uh huh, yeah, yeah, ummm, really, Uh huh, Huh? Okay I got it 0!

Bmore on February 15, 2012 at 9:23 AM

And the title…. “The Story of Us”.

How creepy.

Key West Reader on February 15, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Really. Even Story of O (the French S&M novel from the 1950s; the 1970s movie made from it is junk) gives me a warmer and fuzzier feeling.

Barry White, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, and Harry Connick, Jr.

Three of them guys is dead, hoss.

At last there’s a zer0bamateurism that’s actually hilarious and embarrassing for the demonRats. Usually this column is a running tally of zer0′s frightening abuses of power. I’ll definitely be voting “strong” on this one.

MisterElephant on February 15, 2012 at 9:33 AM

O/T This tweet from Messina ought to get the hispanics going today

@Messina2012 Line of the day from WAPO’s Dana Milbank: “The chimichanga? It may be the only thing Republicans have left to offer Latinos.”

ctmom on February 15, 2012 at 9:51 AM

So sad- the jagoff all the lefties thought was the coolest guy in school turned out to be the weird kid over in the corner eating paste and talking to his imaginary friends.

No matter how good the kids are in the A/V club, there’s no way to make a commerical of this sissy throwing, halitosis ridden, weapons grade loser look cool. This bone deep earflapped dork is wearing a cosmic “kick me” sign, and the duped fools that voted for him must be feeling just a bit ashamed of being so easily taken in.

Well, if liberals had any sense of shame I mean.

Barry soetero is “Cool”. HAH. Sure he is…. smart too. HAH.

GrassMudHorsey on February 15, 2012 at 9:54 AM

@ctmom:

The cheap ad hominem attack from a purportedly “objective” washington post writer? It may be the only thing liberals have left to make people believe King Putt isn’t a completely incompetent loser.

GrassMudHorsey on February 15, 2012 at 9:57 AM

That’s the kind of ad you run when you have no “record” of accomplishments. Other than pandering to your base.

GarandFan on February 15, 2012 at 9:57 AM

And the title…. “The Story of Us”.

How creepy.

Key West Reader on February 15, 2012 at 8:55 AM

I agree, it’s creepy!

tinkerthinker on February 15, 2012 at 9:15 AM

At least it’s not “The Story of Me”.
That’s progress, right? /s

justltl on February 15, 2012 at 9:57 AM

This

He picked the perfect title. Probably the crappiest movie I didn’t sit through (Mrs A bagged it too)…

affenhauer on February 15, 2012 at 9:58 AM

funny how they moderate the comments on the youtube video. they may allow a negative comment in occasionally but nothing I post is ever allowed.

poppieseeds on February 15, 2012 at 10:14 AM

St Gaudens on February 15, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Nice list, but I’m fairly sure you left out quite a bit of golfing. And vacations. And 10-3 workdays, he’s actually done a dozen or two of those…

Freelancer on February 15, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Come on guys, I still have my nice smile. He does look nice. Come on, snap out of it.

Kissmygrits on February 15, 2012 at 10:23 AM

So, to prove he deserves another 4 years, he shows us how badly he fooled 52% of the nation to get the first 4 years. That just might work. He surely has nothing else.

Freelancer on February 15, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Three of them guys is dead, hoss.

Yep, and they’ll be voting for obozo in Nov.

Xyz22 on February 15, 2012 at 10:28 AM

“sounds a lot like one of the standard right-wing critiques”
Calling them standard doesn’t make them any less true, bloomberg.

“He wins Iowa”

Not according to the Hillary folks- google “We will not be silenced”, it’s a very interesting documentary about McDowngrade’s “wins” in Iowa, Indiana, Texas, etc.

“He survives an attack of lip-synching singers and actors.”
…by reading someone else’s words off a teleprompter with great verve, a mildly more accomplished form of lip synching- the irony, it burns.

“Shepard Fairey makes a poster of him”

Ah yes, the iconic poster made from plagiarized work- how very apt, given the achievement free empty suit it helped elect.

“He names Joe Biden his running mate.”

That there is some comedy that doesn’t need any help.

“we reach Jan. 20, 2009, when Obama is sworn in, although he doesn’t really start working for another 10 seconds.”

Uh, nope- unless you count taking insanely expensive vacations, golfing 90+ times, jetting around the country fundraising, filling out ncaa brackets, “spontaneously” singing a weeks long rehearsed snippet of song, and sighing over the dreamy Justin Bieber as some sort of work.

Oh wait- he did manage to partially destroy the largest economy in the history of the world, dictate the production of glorified golf carts that cost 100k plus and spontaneously combust, and of course rack up as much debt in a little over 3 years that it took 225 years to rack up previously.

And to be fair, he did give us such timeless statesmanlike pronouncements as “Come on, guys”, “Can’t I just finish my waffle?”, “We’re trying to buy shrimp here”, “it was like special olympics or something”, and “…so I know whose ass to kick”.

So there’s that.

Thinking they need to recut this ad, call it “The story of a nincompoop and the willing dupes he hoodwinked.”

GrassMudHorsey on February 15, 2012 at 10:40 AM

To me, the solution is obvious: Obama can continue to do what he good at as long as he does not win a second term and become a lame duck. He should become the perpetual presidential candidate of the Democrat Party, a 21st Century Williams Jennings Bryant who is young enough to easily beat his paltry 3 nominations.

Laurence on February 15, 2012 at 10:45 AM

I coined the phrase Fourth Best President™ which is now part of the lexicon after I had read Joel Gehrke in WaEx on the Obama 60 minutes interview on 12/12/11 and made this video that night: I’m the Fourth Best President™ in American History ~ Barack Obama. I was given no credit for the phrase when my video was discovered a week later. It has a quarter million views and the slogan is used everywhere without anyone knowing who coined it. I earn no money but the others do. The conservative blogshere is very competitive. ™ is an ironic joke.

My original video which was discovered by Newsbusters a week after I made it and the rest is history.
GrannyJanJihadKitty

No Niks on February 15, 2012 at 11:07 AM

I was unfortunate enough to have seen this video yesterday. Never in my wildest dreams did I think of it as a campaign ad. I was just left scratching my head, trying to determine what they were selling. And yes, OweBama sings on it.

St Gaudens on February 15, 2012 at 9:02 AM
You forgot:
Basketball
iPod with own speeches to Queen
Toasting the Queen during her National Anthem
corpsmen
vacation, vacation, vacation
daughters as “senior advisers”
redistribution of wealth
A time when you just make too much money (government decides)
can’t be bothered to take pics with US Military

and on and on and on

katablog.com on February 15, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Just cannot bring myself to click on the video…

OmahaConservative on February 15, 2012 at 8:07 AM

I’m saving it for next Wednesday

Kraken on February 15, 2012 at 11:16 AM

No surprise here; the downloader (BarackObamadotcom) doesn’t allow any negative comments. They only approve the Kool-Aid induced ramblings of the libtards on the Youtube page. Kim Jong Il got 100% of the vote, too.

CVMA-Dredd on February 15, 2012 at 11:25 AM

GrassMudHorsey on February 15, 2012 at 9:54 AM

lulz

Come on guys, I still have my nice smile. He does look nice. . .

Kissmygrits on February 15, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Are you serious? I caught zer0 on TV yesterday when I was having lunch in a restaurant where CNN was being screened at the bar (not exactly a “happening” joint). I objectively had to say that his posture was slouchy, he wasn’t wearing a jacket, his aspect was prissy and arrogant the whole time, and his repellant, amphibian ears were protruding most prominently from his head. JugEars/Jar Jar indeed.

Yuck-oh.

GrassMudHorsey on February 15, 2012 at 10:40 AM

more lulz amongst the sad-but-true commentary.

MisterElephant on February 15, 2012 at 11:36 AM

“Hey, guys! I don’t have any worthwhile accomplishments to show you, so let’s just relive my glory days during the 2008 campaign, okay? Boy, those were fun, weren’t they? Come on, gimme another four years, whaddya say?”

This president has been nothing but an embarrassment from day one.

RebeccaH on February 15, 2012 at 11:44 AM

This president has been nothing but an embarrassment from day one.

RebeccaH on February 15, 2012 at 11:44 AM

I’m going to start calling him, Barry “Uncle Rico” Obama

Ditkaca on February 15, 2012 at 11:53 AM

IT’S THE ECONOMY, STUPID.

Tim_CA on February 15, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Not for a million dollars would I watch that.

gophergirl on February 15, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Oh, I’d watch it for a million dollars.

But it’s gotta be cash – no checks.

Solaratov on February 15, 2012 at 12:11 PM

I’m in agreement that this man and his video are creepy. My worry is that his die hard base and those who just don’t pay attention will see this and become rejuvenated. I loathe BHO but I felt that way long before he was voted into office, because I was then, as now, paying attention.

skeedro on February 15, 2012 at 12:15 PM

…but the candles are out and it’s daylight now…

Schadenfreude on February 15, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Team Obama is rumored to have so much money to burn that this is their “Obama: I am not a witch” commercial.

Sir Napsalot on February 15, 2012 at 12:27 PM

I loathe this POS and his communist administration. He and his angry black woman are the anti-Christ.

ultracon on February 15, 2012 at 1:00 PM

@Ditkaca on February 15, 2012 at 11:53 AM

“I’m going to start calling him, Barry “Uncle Rico” Obama”

HAH! Stellar work! Consider that one stolen, sir or madam.

I shall send you a delicious sea bass, post haste.

GrassMudHorsey on February 15, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Surely, the RNC or whoever is the republican nominee can expose Obama with a collage of all those “other moments,” ie, his campaign goofs and his record (he has one now) nightmares. They can, but will they? Does our side even want to win anymore?

jazzuscounty on February 15, 2012 at 3:30 PM