Chimichanga-gate

posted at 4:53 pm on February 15, 2012 by Allahpundit

If you don’t know what this is about, Univision’s Tumblr will catch you up more quickly than I can explain. Like Ace, I wonder what the breakdown is percentage-wise between people who are genuinely offended by what Messina said, people who are ginning up indignation because they want to watch a ruthless Democratic partisan hack squirm (this is the guy who promised the White House would “punch back twice as hard” during the 2009 health-care townhall uproar), and people who calculate that if we rub liberals’ faces in a pile of shinola every time one of them says something that’s insensitive, they’ll be more circumspect in demagoging conservatives when one of us does. If you’re in group three, you’re kidding yourself: This line of attack is essential to the left’s core argument that conservative impulses not only produce ineffective or damaging policies but are always, always malignant in origin. It’s one thing to do it as payback, but don’t expect anything to change. Ever.

The Hispanic Leadership Network is in group one.

“The fact that the campaign manager of President Obama’s reelection campaign thinks it’s appropriate to disseminate insulting jokes about the Hispanic community is a perfect example of the kind of empty rhetoric that characterizes this White House’s so-called outreach to Latinos. We demand that Mr. Messina immediately apologize and we ask that President Obama disavow his campaign manager’s ridiculous statement. Liberals are always trying to put Hispanics in a box. In typical fashion, when liberals cannot speak substantively to the top issues facing our community, they resort to name calling…

“The facts remain the same, and they are no laughing matter. President Obama broke his campaign promises to the Hispanic community on jobs and immigration. Our community is suffering from over 11% unemployment rate. In addition, President Obama has deported more immigrants than any other U.S. president in history. When confronted with his record, this President has no standing with Hispanic voters across our country.”

I understand the objection to ethnic stereotypes that involve food — they pigeonhole complex people as provincial and narrow-minded — but Ace’s point about the double standard in the reaction to Messina’s tweet is better. How come this guy making a dumb joke associating Latinos with tacos is a scandal while the captain of the good ship Hopenchange circulating a dumb joke associating Latinos with chimichangas is good clean liberal fun? Is there some sort of spectrum of Latino cuisine in which tacos are offensive but chimichangas are “tolerant”? Does it have to do with the condiments involved in each dish? Both sides should hash this out now, because eventually some dopey pol’s going to make a crack about burritos and none of us will know how to react.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

It’s racist and offensive. I let most stuff slide, but he needs to apologize for this and then shut his hole for the rest of the election(at least publicly).

Doughboy on February 15, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Crickets unless it’s to show how stupid the GOP is for even mentioning the harmless comment

Ditkaca on February 15, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Allah,

I must have missed it … where does Sarah Palin come into this discussion?

;->

PolAgnostic on February 15, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Does it help or hurt that chimichangas are just a Mexican version of the eggroll?

EricW on February 15, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Latino voters reply…

Messina is the sombrero of @zzhats.

HumpBot Salvation on February 15, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Contessa Brewer wants to know if Dana Milbank has a degree in Mexican cuisine.

BacaDog on February 15, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Tequila Summit!

Flange on February 15, 2012 at 5:00 PM

I still don’t understand why it isn’t racist to talk about Latino people as some kind of like-minded special interest group.

MayBee on February 15, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Anyone else getting hungry?

dirtseller on February 15, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Yo, Juan – yo quiero dos chimichangas con mucho racism por favor.

CorporatePiggy on February 15, 2012 at 5:01 PM

at least he didn’t say macaca or say that he ‘might have tacos’ or something else as outrageously outrageous as that

gatorboy on February 15, 2012 at 5:02 PM

I worked hard to get indignant about this. I failed.

NoNails on February 15, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Chimichangas are awesome.

With Guacamole, Sour cream, and salsa.

portlandon on February 15, 2012 at 5:03 PM

You forgot one:

Conservatives wanting to remind a heavily Catholic constituency exactly what the Democrats 2/3 of them voted for in ’08 actually think of them when such an unforced error comes up. And on the heels of some leftist Know-Nothingism like the contraception mandate, to boot.

Sekhmet on February 15, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Non story of the day.

Johnny 100 Pesos on February 15, 2012 at 5:03 PM

So, the guy who publishes a campaign video calling the idea that Obama will raise $1B bullchit (unquote) is the same one making racially insensitive jokes. I’m shocked. And yet, all Newt has to mention food stamps, and they’re calling him a racist.

The Count on February 15, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Chimichangas are awesome.

With Guacamole, Sour cream, and salsa.

portlandon on February 15, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Naww, try a beef chimichanga with chili con queso as a sauce. Yummmmm

Sekhmet on February 15, 2012 at 5:04 PM

My problem isn’t with the racist aspect but the mindset that it’s the government’s function to “offer” things to the various “group” they’ve subdivided us into.

This is more revealing of the Lib strategy… we’ll give the CBC this, the feminists that, the 3-eyes lobby the other thing, and it’s all coming out of our pockets!

Not-a-Marxist on February 15, 2012 at 5:04 PM

the obama campaign acted ‘stupidly’

ConservativePartyNow on February 15, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Now for some real news:
My favorite Mexican restaurant is closing!1!!!!1111
Replaced by a CVS.
I’ve got 8 CVS’ within 5 minutes of my house.
Dear God where is the diversity.

OTTO on February 15, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Dos Equis summit.
Tecate Summit.
Corona Sol Summit.

portlandon on February 15, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Mmmmmm…Chimichangas. Tequila Summit, it is.

Philly on February 15, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Would someone pass the hot sauce.

WisRich on February 15, 2012 at 5:05 PM

I can see it all now, TV commercial and everything:
“DROP the Chimichanga!”

Yiwen on February 15, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Chimichangas are awesome.

With Guacamole, Sour cream, and salsa.

portlandon on February 15, 2012 at 5:03 PM
Naww, try a beef chimichanga with chili con queso as a sauce. Yummmmm

Sekhmet on February 15, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Man, you guys are getting me so hungry and I am trying hard to stay on my diet.

ConservativePartyNow on February 15, 2012 at 5:06 PM

?

KOOLAID2 on February 15, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Man, you guys are getting me so hungry and I am trying hard to stay on my diet.

ConservativePartyNow on February 15, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Calorie counting, or low carb?

Because they make some Low Carb tortilla shells that make a diet bearable.

portlandon on February 15, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Which stupid Republicans honestly think there will be an apology? Weeper-of-the-house Beohner, or RINO McConnell? They are deluded. Liberals don’t apologize, they applaud!

ultracon on February 15, 2012 at 5:08 PM

I am ROTFLMAO because as I have heard from some of my “hip” relatives, burrito actually means –check # 5

burrata on February 15, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Chimichangas are awesome.

With Guacamole, Sour cream, and salsa.

portlandon on February 15, 2012 at 5:03 PM

I’d pretty much eat a shoe with guac, sour cream and salsa. Throw in a Margarita and you have a party.

Fallon on February 15, 2012 at 5:11 PM

portlandon on February 15, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Weight Watchers.(It worked great for me) I’ve done it before, but need to get back on the wagon again.

ConservativePartyNow on February 15, 2012 at 5:11 PM

I understand the objection to ethnic stereotypes that involve food

No Allahpundit, you don’t understand. The food product chimichangas get’s it’s name from a very vulgar Mexican/Spanish insult uttered by the inventor of the chimichangas when her 7 or 8 year old grandson asked her to repeat what she exclaimed upon sticking her hand in boiling oil. Pretty much the entire Mexican/Hispanic population knows that story, the reference my well have been unintentional, but I pretty much guarantee you it will be taken by the Mexican/Hispanic community as the original vulgar insult that the chimichangas got it’s name from.

SWalker on February 15, 2012 at 5:11 PM

there’s no story here. Dana Milbank and Messina are on the same team (let’s eliminate conservatives team). Ridicule is what they do. So a conservative Hispanic group takes offense…please

r keller on February 15, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Chimichangas are awesome.

With Guacamole, Sour cream, and salsa.

portlandon on February 15, 2012 at 5:03 PM
Naww, try a beef chimichanga with chili con queso as a sauce. Yummmmm

Sekhmet on February 15, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Man, you guys are getting me so hungry and I am trying hard to stay on my diet.

ConservativePartyNow on February 15, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Stop it!
I can’t get me no chimees no more.

OTTO on February 15, 2012 at 5:12 PM

I am warning you Amigos and Amigas never trust a government agent bearing Chimichangas.

Lily on February 15, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Calorie counting, or low carb?

Because they make some Low Carb tortilla shells that make a diet bearable.

portlandon on February 15, 2012 at 5:08 PM

And if you got the low carb chips and some good salsa, or some good chili powder (My fave’s Gebhart’s) to sprinkle on pineapple—you have a yummy Mexican meal, and it’s vegetarian to boot!

Sekhmet on February 15, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Group four: Why not?

Jim Treacher on February 15, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Stop it!
I can’t get me no chimees no more.

OTTO on February 15, 2012 at 5:12 PM

HAH! As long as there are recipe sites and deep fryers, you need never be chimichanga-less!

Sekhmet on February 15, 2012 at 5:14 PM

The chimichangas acted stupidly.

crash72 on February 15, 2012 at 5:14 PM

He’s racist and he uses violent rhetoric. The guy is dangerous.

I have concerns about some of the language that is being used because I saw this myself in the late ’70s in San Francisco, this kind of rhetoric… It created a climate in which violence took place.

forest on February 15, 2012 at 5:15 PM

I like chimichangas but without rice, beans, meat or tortilla.

Bishop on February 15, 2012 at 5:15 PM

I like tacos, especially the way my wife makes them.

catmman on February 15, 2012 at 5:15 PM

The chimichangas acted stupidly.

crash72 on February 15, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Thread winner!

ConservativePartyNow on February 15, 2012 at 5:16 PM

ConservativePartyNow on February 15, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Good for you! Good luck as well. You can do it!

portlandon on February 15, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Good for you! Good luck as well. You can do it!

portlandon on February 15, 2012 at 5:16 PM

I think with all dieting, the biggest thing is you gotta have the want to.

ConservativePartyNow on February 15, 2012 at 5:17 PM

If the Left were really concerned about consistency, they’d go after people for eating a deep fried burrito and leave the kids with turkey sandwiches alone.

catmman on February 15, 2012 at 5:17 PM

No me gusta Jiame Messina. El es un, como se dice “douchebag”.

St Gaudens on February 15, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Obligatory.

Left Coast Right Mind on February 15, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Sekhmet on February 15, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I’m gonna need one of those outdoor turkey fryers to make the ones I’ll be missing!
MMmmmm… Turkey chimichangas

OTTO on February 15, 2012 at 5:18 PM

The GOP’s messaging regarding illegal aliens is terrible.

First off, illegal aliens don’t vote. Legal immigrants do.

The GOP simply needs to explain that having 20 million illegal aliens in the country means there are 10 million fewer jobs available for legal immigrants. Borders, fences, and processes are in place, and need to be enforced, to protect jobs for legal Latinos.

The sooner Latino voters begin looking at illegal aliens as the people stealing their jobs, the sooner the GOP will win back the Latino vote.

RedManBlueState on February 15, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Obligatory.

Left Coast Right Mind on February 15, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Yhanks, now I’m really friggin hungry!

OTTO on February 15, 2012 at 5:21 PM

I like tacos, especially the way my wife makes them.

catmman on February 15, 2012 at 5:15 PM

This is where my inner 12 year old, or Lorien, would step in and comment.

Bishop on February 15, 2012 at 5:21 PM

oops, damn preview button

OTTO on February 15, 2012 at 5:22 PM

The Oministration apparently thinks that all Latinos are “Mexican”. They’re not. Here in Florida most are Cubano and quite proud of it. Most Latinos in general are socially conservative.

By the time Obama’s through losing, he’ll have only one base left. The Occupiers.

Good luck with that, Cap’n Kickazz

Key West Reader on February 15, 2012 at 5:24 PM

OT.
Why is that guy wearing lipstick??…not that theres anything wrong with that.

Mimzey on February 15, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Progressive Elitist Snobs!!

canopfor on February 15, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Senator Rubio may weigh in on that angle soon.

teke184 on February 15, 2012 at 5:28 PM

I’m more offended that The Hispanic Leadership Network believes keeping illegal immigrants, instead of removing them is the appropriate reaction to them being here in the first place.

Guess I’ll have to give The Zero props on that one.

LoganSix on February 15, 2012 at 5:29 PM

No me gusta Jiame Messina. El es un, como se dice “douchebag”.
St Gaudens on February 15, 2012 at 5:18 PM

LMAO!

Forget tequila summit, how about a chimichanga and tequila diet? Just workout, and I should be just fine!! …. Right?

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on February 15, 2012 at 5:30 PM

It created a climate in which violence took place.

forest on February 15, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Noooo! Please don’t remind me of the crying Nanzi.

/Ewps, too late.

Key West Reader on February 15, 2012 at 5:30 PM

OT.
Why is that guy wearing lipstick??…not that theres anything wrong with that.

Mimzey on February 15, 2012 at 5:25 PM

He got hit with the ugly stump, that’s for sure. What an effete and puffy looking Odroid.

Key West Reader on February 15, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Some spoke about transportation. Others spoke about the budget. Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) spoke about the wonders of his state. “The lettuce in your salad this month almost certainly came from Arizona,” McCain said. “It’s also believed that the chimichanga has its origin in Arizona.”

The worst presidential candidate in history also has his origins in Arizona, along with Barely literate hogs,
If they are legal, offer them a chimichanga, they’ll need it with the Obama gas prices. If they are illegal, put the chimichnga on a bus seat and lure them in, They tend to come out of the shadows for freebies.

RovesChins on February 15, 2012 at 5:32 PM

So,lets review,

Catholics
Latino`s,

have been BeSmirched and DeBaucherized by Team
HopeLessNess/ChangeLessNess,

talk about Audacious Audacity!!

canopfor on February 15, 2012 at 5:33 PM

“Macaca” ended a career. Why won’t this?

Washington Nearsider on February 15, 2012 at 5:33 PM

“How come this guy making a dumb joke associating Latinos with tacos is a scandal while the captain of the good ship Hopenchange circulating a dumb joke associating Latinos with chimichangas is good clean liberal fun? Is there some sort of spectrum of Latino cuisine in which tacos are offensive but chimichangas are “tolerant”? Does it have to do with the condiments involved in each dish? Both sides should hash this out now, because eventually some dopey pol’s going to make a crack about burritos and none of us will know how to react.”

What are you Dave Barry’s brother? (I am not making this up)

I wish I could write this kind of copy.

F__U__N__N__Y

Opposite Day on February 15, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Wonder what we would hear if a Republican said,Watermellons are the only thing the democrats have for blacks?

docflash on February 15, 2012 at 5:34 PM

On a serious note… Looks like he was quoting the article… No? This post writes as if the guy said that himself . Misleading.

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on February 15, 2012 at 5:37 PM

O/T,

US payroll tax extension @frankthorpNBC tweeted:
************************************************

Sen. Schumer re:payroll taxcut deal:

“It is not quite done, it’s nearly done.”

Submitted 10 mins ago from twitter.com/frankthorpNBC
=============================

canopfor on February 15, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Obama announces amnesty in 5,4,3,2,…..vamanos!

RovesChins on February 15, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Lets see,

Carnival Barkers
Bitters
Clingers
Chimchanga

and…..and……

canopfor on February 15, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Me thinks,this could be a distraction,or was the Catholic
contraception a distraction…..Hmmmmmmm!!

canopfor on February 15, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Nice lipstick, fruit.

MadisonConservative on February 15, 2012 at 5:43 PM

I think Chimichan-gate is easier to say and sounds better. Maybe we can start chanting

“No more hate, no more chimichan-gate!”

The press loves nutballs who chant.

somnicide on February 15, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Tres Tecates with Lime…

Seven Percent Solution on February 15, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Of course they are hypocritical racists they are Democrats. These are the same people who use the theory that ALL the racists suddenly switched from the Democrats in the 1960′s. These are the exact same racists who loved the Jim Crow laws that kept people in their place.

Grunt on February 15, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Perhaps if Biden apologizes in a Mexican accent …

Lost in Jersey on February 15, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Yo, Juan – yo quiero dos chimichangas con mucho racismo por favor.

CorporatePiggy on February 15, 2012 at 5:01 PM

affenhauer on February 15, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Chimichangas have many more calories, therefore, that’s a worst joke, What?! are you calling Mexicans Fat?!

Also, when my spell checker looked at Chimichanga it suggested Michigan! Coincidence? I think not.

kirkill on February 15, 2012 at 5:51 PM

meanwhile, behind the facade of an innocent looking GOP race…

Megadeth singer endorses Rick Santorum, calls Newt Gingrich ‘an angry little man’

disillusioned on February 15, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Perhaps if Biden apologizes in a Mexican accent …

Lost in Jersey on February 15, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Yes! Who wouldn’t want to hear Biden try his Speedy Gonzales voice.

St Gaudens on February 15, 2012 at 5:54 PM

The appropriate response to all these almost-racist, politically-correct whine-fests is to call the Waaaaaabulance on the crybabies. Grow up, already.

Asurea on February 15, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Chimichangas or tacos can both cause unpredictable outbursts of “hot gas”. At least that’s what Newt told me.

AltTuning on February 15, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Feel compassion for a stone cold political hatchetman?

no,.. not feelin it. If he were on my side, maybe,.. but I can’t work up a drop of sympathy for the party of racebaiters, anti-semites, and character assasins…

not a drop.

I’d see this nation split up in a civil war first..

That’s the level of contempt I hold progressive hacks and their enablers at.. they simply don’t deserve a trace of kindness, not for all the division they’ve sown, the injustices, the racism they’ve used, and fed on, while letting their own people engage in it, like they had some kind of special pass.

No, sympathy here, none.

If it destroys his career,.. maybe, the left won’t be so quick to savage another innocent party likle they so often do.

They, and Messina can rot in Hell.

mark81150 on February 15, 2012 at 5:57 PM

You can buy chimichangas with your SNAP card that Obama’s Ag Secretary was nice enough to give you.

Wigglesworth on February 15, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Tres Tecates with Lime…
Seven Percent Solution on February 15, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Seven Percent Solution:I`ll raise you two,:)

Dionne Warwick Do You Know the Way to San Jose
**********************************************

=============================

spanish eyes (engelbert humperdinck)
************************************

canopfor on February 15, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Where’s ernie?

hillbillyjim on February 15, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Perhaps if Biden apologizes in a Mexican accent …

Lost in Jersey on February 15, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Lost in Jersey:

Yup,and on a street corner that has a 7/11 store,oh crap,
wrong continent!(sarc)

canopfor on February 15, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Where’s ernie?

hillbillyjim on February 15, 2012 at 6:01 PM

hillbillyjim:

Probably under the car,checking the hydraulics to make the car bounce,with Bert playing with the controls!!(sarc):)

canopfor on February 15, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Just be sure if you put you chimichanga near her taco you use your new free Obamacare protection.

Seriously though, I thought it was silly for us to stoop to their level and play the racism game. The media will spin it against us anyway and protect the libs.

tyketto on February 15, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Prediction:

Debbie Dippidi Doo Schultz will be made to face the cameras and notpologize for Messina’s remarks. She lives in a heavy Hispanic district and I can’t wait to see her do the Odroid Dance. Bot-bot-bot-bot-bot-talkingpoint-bot-droid-bot-droid-droid.

Heh. Squirm.

/The dippity doo was previously used by a great poster; can’t remember who, but I remember my mom had a tub full of it.

Key West Reader on February 15, 2012 at 6:11 PM

But we, like the Black people, will rally around his broken promises and work for his re-election. Because you can’t fix stupid! It’s all we know.

GarandFan on February 15, 2012 at 6:30 PM

EricW on February 15, 2012 at 4:58 PM

RACIST!!!

I think… honestly I don’t know. I’ve been really confused about the whole “racist” thing lately… I’m just guessing anymore.

gekkobear on February 15, 2012 at 6:35 PM

I like chimichangas.

J.E. Dyer on February 15, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Time for a fully credited university course to ponder this complex anthropological question. With field work.

Paging Columbia University’s Hannah Appel of OWS 101 fame.

Buy Danish on February 15, 2012 at 6:56 PM

credited accredited. *sob* I have to award myself a failing grade.

Buy Danish on February 15, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Key West Reader on February 15, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Though born in Texas, I spent my first ten or so years in Miami where we lived in a poor, almost 100% Cubano neighborhood. As a result, still today I have many friends from that time, and they to an hombre are as conservative as am I, and they do not live in poor neighborhoods anymore, by any means, each self-made entrepreneurs.

The very mention of Obama to them, some of whom came here literally in boats, will unleash a torrent of invective in Español, almost always ending in “Nunca otra vez!”, or “Never again!”, in obvious reference to Castro, even though they were but kids when their parents fled Cuba.

Of course, having lived the rest of my life back here in Texas, I am also surrounded with friends of Mexican heritage who are of similar views as my friends in Miami when it comes to Obama, yet both groups detest being treated as some monolithic ethnic group as their backgrounds are so different.

I know this also because of all the hell I get from each group when I speak in Spanish because sometimes I lapse into the wrong accent or use the wrong idiom as between the two clearly different lingoes.

TXUS on February 15, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Let’s try a test to see if this is racist.

Would it be the same as saying that all Republicans could offer African-Americans is watermelon?

itsspideyman on February 15, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Tuna, eggs, doritos , cheesecake, tamale, see ya.

sadsushi on February 15, 2012 at 8:01 PM

I love Chimichanga. When I go to a mexican restaurant for the first time I get Chimichanga. If Chimichanga good, it is then safe to try other things on the menu next time around.

Norky on February 15, 2012 at 8:33 PM