Video: Obama advises guys to “go big” on Valentine’s Day

posted at 4:15 pm on February 14, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Forget complicated theories about Kenyan anti-colonialism, Wilsonian progressivism or Wright-style liberation theology: This is the key to understanding Obama. He must have learned early in life that some girls love a big spender — and decided to become one. And I mean really become one: Under his administration, deficit spending per person is $17,000.

Whoever gave him the advice to “go big” just forgot to tell him girls don’t like it when you borrow their money to spend on them — or, worse, on other girls – and then leave them with the debt you racked up. That’s just what Obama’s done to working girls like me, though.

Better advice for Valentine’s Day comes from — of all people — the Rev. Al Sharpton:

But the best tip of all comes from Dr. Pat Fagan and Julia Kiewit of the Family Research Council, who, in an excellent post at Townhall.com, remind readers that “love demands death, and it is a debt that will be paid, be it through the life-giving self-sacrifice of marriage built on chaste romance or the death of love itself.” They write:

The story behind Valentine’s Day does not bear much resemblance to the cupids and roses of today. If we wanted historical accuracy, our candy hearts, instead of “TXT ME” or even “BE MINE,” should say, “Will you die for me?” Though Roman martyrs may seem removed from our Valentine’s Day today, death is a greater part of love than our society acknowledges: some see marriage as the white, or bloodless, martyrdom – ask any happily married couple on their 40th anniversary.

True love is tough. Not the tough love we give to our children, but a love that is tough on ourselves: the gradual death of self to serve the Valentine. This love is different from the fleeting lust mingled with affection of today’s hook-up culture: Casual sex has killed Valentine’s Day. When young adults jump into bed after an average of three dates, the mystery of the other person dies before it is born. Intercourse too soon – before a deep personal knowledge and the commitment of marriage – diminishes the mystery, the pursuit of romance.

Among those who are chaste and intend to keep their virginity until marriage, Valentine’s Day brings with it the thrill of the unknown, and celebrates the possibility of the promise to give of the whole self, forever, in marriage. Giving a Valentine with intentions like these is totally different from the examples set in popular culture. Unjoining intimacy from commitment may temporarily fulfill the desire for love, but it is most frequently the prelude to eventual rejection.

Fagan and Kiewit understand what a girl wants far more than Obama seems to: What’s romantic is sacrifice and commitment, not ill-afforded expensive gestures. The dream is not to be idealized, adored or spoiled; it’s to be respected, admired and cherished.

Comments

Now he has to f*** that up too?

Speakup on February 14, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Obama certainly went big.

Chuck Schick on February 14, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Memo to President Zero: We couldn’t “go big” even if we wanted to. Thanks to you, we don’t have the money even to “go moderately-small.”

Idiot.

Gingotts on February 14, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Not all of us can fly to Manhattan to enjoy a date night on Broadway while on the government dime, jackhole.

teke184 on February 14, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Sing some Al Green, while America burns.

OhEssYouCowboys on February 14, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Can’t spell “Big Government” without “Go Big”…

FruitedPlain on February 14, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Weren’t there reports of epic fights during White House parties with him and the First Rear End?

Transpo on February 14, 2012 at 4:25 PM

“C’mon guys, I gave you $40.”

- President Barack H. Obama

rogerb on February 14, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Was Obama talking about the Valentine he gets for himself?

FruitedPlain on February 14, 2012 at 4:27 PM

I wonder how “Big” Barry went for Reggie Love?

Robert Jensen on February 14, 2012 at 4:27 PM

JugEars was adressing Barney Frank?
I see the guy in the front row has been working out with Moochelle!
Isn’t it time Herkel went campaigning…er vacation again so we don’t have to hear a pronouncement every 10 minutes!

KOOLAID2 on February 14, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Why do people who claim to need the Government the least blame the Government the most? I havent missed any vacations, Ive had great holidays, Ive gotten raises at work, My company is paying out big bonuses.

If your not doing well, blame yourself. Stop blaming the Government.

As far as this post goes, I wish you would tell that to every woman on my facebook and twitter page as well as to the women in my office who are posting pictures and bragging about the flowers,choclates, and gifts that they are reciving at work!

Happy Valentines Day Everyone!!

Love is in the Air!

Politricks on February 14, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Be easy on the guy. If you had The Mooch for a spouse, you’d do everything big. Even spending.

Archivarix on February 14, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Is this the reason the rop type countries ban Valentines Day, “it’s to be respected, admired and cherished.”? Can’t have the men thinking like this about their women now can we?

BTW Happy Valentines Day to all here on HA. Today is our #14 anniversary and hubby and I ‘respect, admire, and cherish’ each other.
L

letget on February 14, 2012 at 4:31 PM

For some reason…

… I’m not in the mood.

Seven Percent Solution on February 14, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Transpo on February 14, 2012 at 4:25 PM

You have to check with the secret service people, or as in the case with John Edwards…the National Enquirer.

KOOLAID2 on February 14, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Tina is a working girl?

So the blogging thing is just a little side hobby for her, then?

Armin Tamzarian on February 14, 2012 at 4:32 PM

A little OT. Saw this in the AP today. Thought they had the wrong country until I fixed it for them.

CARACAS, Venezuela Washington (AP) — Venezuelan American presidential candidate Rick Santorum on Monday called for “balanced elections” and criticized the use of government money and slanted coverage in state media as President Hugo Chavez Barak Obama seeks re-election.

Chavez Obama also will likely use a bonanza of public spending as he seeks re-election in the Oct. 7 Nov. 6 presidential election.

dirtseller on February 14, 2012 at 4:33 PM

It’s not always about size, Barry. Unless we’re talking about the boot-ay, of course. Where is his presidential retreat, anyway? Camp Bedonkedonk?

princetrumpet on February 14, 2012 at 4:34 PM

I’ve worn out my copy of the constitution after Obama’s first month in office of violating it. Can anyone tell me the page where Obama is required to replace Ann Landers?

This just shows the arrogance of the man-that he has either the authority or the moral right to inform others about love, though I’m sure he’s read up on the chapter on abortion and amended it to not include the unborn.

Don L on February 14, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Valentine’s Day is a fake holiday. Even the wife thinks it’s a waste of time.

Spliff Menendez on February 14, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Tomorrow is even better. Cheap chocolate!!!

blatantblue on February 14, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Archivarix on February 14, 2012 at 4:28 PM

And pants.

Especially pants…

catmman on February 14, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Archivarix on February 14, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Well, indeed it is clear that she isn’t used to small boxes of chocolates.

But then again we aren’t supposed to notice that because she has the arms of a longshoreman nicely toned arms.

Gingotts on February 14, 2012 at 4:38 PM

“Happy Valentines Day Michelle. I am giving you Puerto Rico.”

-President Barack Obama.

portlandon on February 14, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Don L on February 14, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Yeah, you can go ahead and put it away. I don’t think we’re gonna be using it for very much longer.

squint on February 14, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Archivarix on February 14, 2012 at 4:28 PM

And pants.

Especially pants…

catmman on February 14, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Stole my thunder. I was gonna say, when he says “go big,” he’s talking about the size of lingerie he buys for the, um, little woman.

Syzygy on February 14, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Transpo on February 14, 2012 at 4:25 PM

I agree with Rush’s reference: The First Linebacker

VibrioCocci on February 14, 2012 at 4:46 PM

I wonder what Barry is giving Vera Baker for Valentines day?

portlandon on February 14, 2012 at 4:46 PM

For their Valentine dinner, Hh’ll probably get the Mooch a nice bottle of wine and a bushel or two of lobsters.

justltl on February 14, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Yeah, baby, you go big guys, cuz I’ve already paid for their health care. wink, wink.

Kissmygrits on February 14, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Barry to America: “Go Big!”

America to Barry: “Go Home!”

Marcola on February 14, 2012 at 4:47 PM

“Happy Valentines Day Michelle. I am giving you Puerto Rico.”

-President Barack Obama.

portlandon on February 14, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Not big enough for her to fit on there. He desperately needs to see what Denmark will take for Greenland.

Gingotts on February 14, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Won’t Puerto Rico tip over if the Mooch visits?

justltl on February 14, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Sing some Al Green, while America burns.

OhEssYouCowboys on February 14, 2012 at 4:23 PM

He’s like Nero, only he has an iPod, instead of a lyre.

/dear lyre?

Ward Cleaver on February 14, 2012 at 4:52 PM

He’s like Nero, only he has an iPod, instead of a lyre.

/dear lyre?

Ward Cleaver on February 14, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Not even an iPod… a Zune.

teke184 on February 14, 2012 at 4:57 PM

The ultimate love is sacrifice. God loves us as we are to love one another, not just that “special” someone.

Logus on February 14, 2012 at 4:58 PM

No going out to dinner tonight; our choice. We have bills to pay, Obama. Stop charging my credit card… Please?

/I got a functioning garbage can and a set of steak knives for Christmas. Woo!

All I need is all I want in these Obama years.

Key West Reader on February 14, 2012 at 4:59 PM

BUT USE PROTECTION. IT’S FREE

WryTrvllr on February 14, 2012 at 5:02 PM

So.

President Reverse-Midas is touting Valentines Day?

It’ll be bankrupt within a year.

MichaelGabriel on February 14, 2012 at 5:07 PM

You think George ever let Laura drive?

Me either!

KeninCT on February 14, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Ok Teddy with Mary-Jo???

WryTrvllr on February 14, 2012 at 5:11 PM

KeninCT on February 14, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Talking to and answering yourself, eh?

dukecitygirl on February 14, 2012 at 5:11 PM

You think George ever let Laura drive?

Me either!

KeninCT on February 14, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Yawn. We’ve seen you before. Saw the doublewide comment. Slim jims and NASCAR material should be coming next.

Chuck Schick on February 14, 2012 at 5:14 PM

If we’re going to go big, then I think that everyone should contribute their fair share, so that everybody has opportunity to give Valentines gifts, not just some.

vcferlita on February 14, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Chuck Schick on February 14, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Thanks for checking in, Chuck! You’re what makes America grrreat!

KeninCT on February 14, 2012 at 5:25 PM

WHY DOES OBAMA HAVE TO BE IN EVERYTHING? It is truly sickening. Whitney Houston dies, he is going to sing. (I heard this but am not sure its true its sounds so crazy.) Valentines Day, he has advice. Obama Obama Obama. Everything is about Obama. My advice for Obama is STFU, Obama, if you know what I mean. Jesus Christ, can I have some life that he is not in?

Jesus, he’s such a petty little fascist princeling!

Herald of Woe on February 14, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Thanks for checking in, Chuck! You’re what makes America grrreat!

KeninCT on February 14, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Thanks!

Chuck Schick on February 14, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Tomorrow is even better. Cheap chocolate!!!
blatantblue on February 14, 2012 at 4:36 PM

LOL .. Agreed !! (suggest you give ‘em a day to mark it down)
And, if frozen, and NOT in fancy VD wrapping, can be given for Christmas ’12 !!!
Hey, I’ve hadda start saving $$$ since 2008/09, y’know ?? !!!

Really, I DO this, and no one’s ever the wiser, since most wouldn’t be caught dead reading HotAir …. LOL.

pambi on February 14, 2012 at 5:37 PM

But you shouldn’t take a lady to the bath house, right Mr. President?

tom daschle concerned on February 14, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Chuck Schick on February 14, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Simple Simon always brought his D game.

tom daschle concerned on February 14, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Hey, good luck with that secession thingy. I’m sure that the People’s Republic of Redneckistan will be a huge success. Any thoughts to a flag? How about money? Might I suggest Dale Earnhardt for the $100 and Larry Craig for the $3 bills.

I see great things for you!

simplesimon on June 27, 2009 at 2:41 PM

tom daschle concerned on February 14, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Jesus, he’s such a petty little fascist princeling!

Herald of Woe on February 14, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Agreed, but you think it’s bad now? Just wait until SippyCupt & Babygotbakka are out of office. They’ll get their own cable channel which will be MANDATED viewing, comrade.

SnarkySam on February 14, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Can’t spell “Big Government” without “Go Big”…

FruitedPlain on February 14, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Yeah, “Go Big” is just code for it.

stukinIL4now on February 14, 2012 at 6:00 PM

the wife said no candy, no flowers, no hoodiefootie, absolutely no going out to fight the amateurs…she said anything like that will be 70% less tomorrow

steak and shrimp at home

gimme a gimme a gimme a redneck girl!

DanMan on February 14, 2012 at 6:04 PM

SnarkySam on February 14, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Absolutely. He’ll be even more annoying than Bubba who can’t let go of his need to be in the limelight. Expect Ohbelowme to be jumping up and down in the background behind the reporters to draw the camera attention to himself.

NapaConservative on February 14, 2012 at 6:06 PM

“..uh…mmm.. I’m givin’ good advice… um.. see..like Joe cuppa coffee.. uh..I’ma regular guy..um..see?

SMACKRUNNER on February 14, 2012 at 6:09 PM

In keeping with the spirit of BHO’s new budget of taxing the wealthy and businesses, I plan on taking out the little lady with money that I get by burglarizing my neighbor’s house and knocking over a liquor store.

kurtzz3 on February 14, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Go big? Obama went big alright when he married a “woman” with a butt have the size of Texas.

VorDaj on February 14, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Half! Half the size of Texas.

VorDaj on February 14, 2012 at 6:18 PM

“C’mon guys, I gave you $40.”

– President Barack H. Obama

rogerb

Winner

AngstFree on February 14, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Get over yourself. You aren’t special, and you aren’t “mysterious”. There are 3.5 billion people who share your “mysterious” sexual anatomy.

Daikokuco on February 14, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Happy Valentine’s Day, everyone!

I love this day because it’s my daughter’s birthday (24 yrs old) and her boyfriends birthday (same age.) They are so cute together – just like the sweethearts you’d imagine being born together that day.

I used to love being class Mom and baking her pink cupcakes for her class parties and her friend parties later and heart cakes for her family Bday parties. And the pretty red dresses and heart balloons. I still get her one every year.

Can you tell I’m a little nostalgic today. lol

Elisa on February 14, 2012 at 7:00 PM

He must have learned early in life that some girls love a big spender —

He and Michelle are always making comments that make it clear that she nags him all the time. This is the same. The subtext to “Go big” is “Or you’ll never hear the end of it”.

Cindy Cooper on February 14, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Go big???

The Chicago way?

Always have detested Valentines Day.

Sort of puts us all in the position of being a John for the day and our spouses/girlfriends being, well, you know…hoes.

A box of Whitman’s or Godiva is not going to make up for being a jerk the rest of the year.

Then, again, why would anyone of sound mind listen to Obama for any sort of advice about anything?

coldwarrior on February 14, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Can you tell I’m a little nostalgic today. lol
Elisa on February 14, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Why no, I simply don’t know what you’re talking about. : )

listens2glenn on February 15, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Go big? Obama went big alright when he married a “woman” with a butt half the size of Texas.
VorDaj on February 14, 2012 at 6:17 PM

As an EVIL conservative, I’ve got many criticisms (some rather harsh) of the POTUS and FLOTUS.

But the physique of FLOTUS ISN’T ONE OF THEM.
There’s plenty of valid intellectual criticisms to be made about the FLOTUS, without ‘making them up’.
As a male with (I believe) normal amounts of testosterone in my body, I happen to think Michelle Obama is the best-shaped FLOTUS since Jackie Kennedy.
I see nothing out-of-proportion about her bottom (butt, fanny, tush, rear-end, “wagon”, gluteus maximus, insert any names I might have left out HERE).
Michelle looks F I N E, in my opinion. I think that’s ALL she has going for her, however . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

listens2glenn on February 15, 2012 at 1:50 AM

…and NOT in fancy VD wrapping…

pambi on February 14, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Is anyone else old enough to remember when this abbreviation was *not* one that referred to Valentine’s Day? I certainly wouldn’t want *my* chocolates wrapped in VD, either…….

GWB on February 15, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Go big???

The Chicago way?

coldwarrior on February 14, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Not sure we want to talk Valentine’s Day and the Chicago way together.

GWB on February 15, 2012 at 11:02 AM