School forces preschooler to order cafeteria lunch because mom’s isn’t healthy enough

posted at 7:10 pm on February 14, 2012 by Allahpundit

The “nanny state tramples on parental prerogatives over kids’ diets” stories are irresistible blog fodder, arguably even tastier than the legendary “dubious taser use by police” viral vids. Remember last year when a Chicago school flatly forbade kids from bringing in homepacked lunches? A school in North Carolina has a different approach: You can bring the lunch mom packed for you, but if it doesn’t meet the USDA guidelines, you’ll be marched to the cafeteria to eat a “healthy” lunch instead — and mom will be billed for the extra expense.

The punchline? Mom’s lunch actually did meet the guidelines in this case.

The girl’s mother — who said she wishes to remain anonymous to protect her daughter from retaliation — said she received a note from the school stating that students who did not bring a “healthy lunch” would be offered the missing portions, which could result in a fee from the cafeteria, in her case $1.25…

“What got me so mad is, number one, don’t tell my kid I’m not packing her lunch box properly,” the girl’s mother told CJ. “I pack her lunchbox according to what she eats. It always consists of a fruit. It never consists of a vegetable. She eats vegetables at home because I have to watch her because she doesn’t really care for vegetables.”

When the girl came home with her lunch untouched, her mother wanted to know what she ate instead. Three chicken nuggets, the girl answered. Everything else on her cafeteria tray went to waste.

“She came home with her whole sandwich I had packed, because she chose to eat the nuggets on the lunch tray, because they put it in front of her,” her mother said. “You’re telling a 4-year-old. ‘oh. you’re lunch isn’t right,’ and she’s thinking there’s something wrong with her food.”

Watch the Fox News clip below to see how the mother’s lunch measured up to the USDA guidelines. Ready for another punchline? When the school forces a “healthy” lunch on a kid, it doesn’t take away the lunch that mom packed. The child could, if he/she is hungry enough, presumably eat both, which is an … interesting strategy for reducing child obesity. And of course, the final punchline: The little girl in this case still didn’t end up eating any vegetables despite having two lunches in front of her, which, of course, is why mom didn’t bother packing any veggies in the first place. So we end up not only with a bunch of wasted food but with a kid who didn’t get the basic nutrition that her mother’s own meal would have provided her. Perfecto.

Said the girl’s grandmother, “This isn’t China, is it?” The Civitas Institute notes that this is a nationwide practice based on federal guidelines, but I’m as surprised to learn that as the “shocked” North Carolina state rep whom they contacted for comment. Question for our readers with kids in public schools: Has your child ever been hassled before over the lunch you’ve packed for them? I assume these guidelines are very loosely enforced, precisely because parents get angry when the state starts micromanaging their kids’ diets.

If we went ahead and banned Happy Meals and pulled potatoes out of school cafeterias and regulated sugar like it’s cocaine or something we might not have these problems, you know. Two clips here, one from Fox and the other via Breitbart TV of a school official in Michigan reminding parents that they do not, in fact, know best.

Update: I replaced the Michigan video with a version from the MRC.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Monitoring what children eat?

Communism begins as soon as they can walk.

madmonkphotog on February 14, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Forgot to ask you what you think of paleo diet.

Nom de Boom on February 14, 2012 at 7:36 PM\

There are many different versions of it, almost all of which are healthier than the modern western diet.

What they seek to do is reduce simple sugars and grains and replace them with animal/fish protein and fat, as well as more vegetables and, in some cases, more fruits (which I’m iffy about for a lot of people who have damaged metabolisms due to the combination of their genetics and excess carbs and fructose in the past, including in utero because mom’s high carb diet affects the fetus … or by being fed formula instead of breast milk.)

The Paleo diet is a useful model because we are evolved creatures and did eat a wide variety of “hunter-fisher-gatherer’ type foods for 100s of thousands of years, including cooked meats, which helped us develop our large brains … meeting their energy requirements while maintaining small stomachs and bipedalism for mobility.

So yes, totally support it. I believe it’s based on evolutionary and genetic reality.

But … people from different latitudes ate different macronutrient ratios. I’m not saying it is impossible to eat carbs and be healthy, if one’s metabolism is not already broken.

Further, some populations have had longer to adapt to the worse of the west’s diet … grains and alcohol, for example, less so simple sugars in quantity. So a Chinese fellow may be OK with eating a fair amount of rice, or a German with his beer, but a native indian person (I’m part native) may not function well at all on a flour and sugar diet … but they used to be quite lean and healthy on the native diet.

The obesity and diabetes rates among many native groups bear this out, except in the south where they have a longer history of eating corn and thus more adaption to it.

That said, pretty much anyone will feel great eating moderate protein, high fat especially saturated fat and some marine lipids, a liberal amount of water-rich non-starchy vegetables, and limited fruits such as berries in season.

That’s the ideal

Random on February 14, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Her nosiness got so bad that my Mom finally let me start taking a lunch to school. And this was in the 1970s.

Dack Thrombosis on February 14, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Mid ’80, sis and I were constantly complaining about our school provided lunchs, parents pooh poohed us, till they had a Parents Eat With Your Kids day and Mom & Dad got to join us for lunch, they took one look at our tray (and given that it was a special occasion we had the “best” our school could provide evidenced that sis & I dug in) and we had bagged lunches till we got to high school and the al la carte menu.

Rogue on February 14, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Keep your laws off our bodies! Except when it’s okay.

Jim Treacher on February 14, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Why do you people keep sending your children back to these monsters every day?

Kohath on February 14, 2012 at 7:48 PM

I actually look forward to the day my kids start school. I’ll be the guy in these stories telling the principal and school board to f**k right off.

angryed on February 14, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Resist We Much on February 14, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Have they outlawed bangers and mash? Please say no.

predator on February 14, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Unfortunately between removing funding for “vouchers” in the District of Columbia and his assult on Catholic schools via the contraceptives controversy, Barack Obama is doing in his power to destroy any opposition to his friends in the NEA and AFT.

bw222 on February 14, 2012 at 7:34 PM

True, but I really, really hope this mom reconsiders sending her child to a PS.

MeatHeadinCA on February 14, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Went to Catholic elementary school and walked home for lunch every day. When I went to public high school in the 60′s my mom would give us lunch money. The cafeteria food looked so disgusting to me that all I ate was a Drake’s coffee cake for lunch every day for 4 years. I bought all kinds of great clothes with the money I saved on lunch. My mom would always wonder where I got the money to do that. Only told her years later, she couldn’t believe it.

BeachBum on February 14, 2012 at 7:52 PM

I hope the regime keeps this up and, even ramps it up, all the way to Nov. It’s a small price to pay for the brain dead to see what an Obumba 2nd term will look like.

Dingbat63 on February 14, 2012 at 7:52 PM

angryed on February 14, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Spawn’s got another 3 months left of high school.
Thank Gawd!

annoyinglittletwerp on February 14, 2012 at 7:52 PM

The video was replaced.

Schadenfreude on February 14, 2012 at 7:52 PM

angryed on February 14, 2012 at 7:50 PM

But why don’t you send your kids to a private school or just homeschool?

MeatHeadinCA on February 14, 2012 at 7:53 PM

I have been a stay at home mom for 8 years and nothing has given me greater pleasure than being here for my kids. However, my husband and I have decided that it will be better for our kids if I go back to work so we can afford to enroll them in private school. Hopefully I will be able to find a job by next August!

Nikkia2112 on February 14, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Have you thought about homeschooling? My kid is a few years away but I’m seriously starting to consider it.

BakerAllie on February 14, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Thank God I grew up in era when almost everyone brought their lunch that Mom packed and kids would trade lunches, which would be a felony under Obama’s admin. Only the “rich” kids bought their lunch (which was 50 cents back then). Every now and then, I’d get to buy it on Fridays when they served fishsticks for the Catholic kids. And there was no free breakfast and lunch for every illegal alien. Then again, there were no illegal aliens in the 60s.

TxAnn56 on February 14, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Spawn’s got another 3 months left of high school.
Thank Gawd!

annoyinglittletwerp on February 14, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Is he still going to college in Ill-annoy. *I’m still thinking meet-up*

predator on February 14, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Random on February 14, 2012 at 7:39 PM

I apologize for the attack.

Yeah, no worries. Apology accepted.

Food, eating, and health are topics people have strong feelings about, and not just thoughts, yours truly included.

Random on February 14, 2012 at 7:55 PM

The video was replaced.

Schadenfreude on February 14, 2012 at 7:52 PM

My Eyezzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!

Tim_CA on February 14, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Nikkia2112 on February 14, 2012 at 7:42 PM

None of my business, but have y’all thought about home-schooling, since you’re at home anyway? Based on personal experience with my kids in private school, many of them have gone left and PC, too.

TXUS on February 14, 2012 at 7:56 PM

BakerAllie on February 14, 2012 at 7:54 PM

There are around 30 ‘people’ in Spawn’s senior class-and the history teacher is a tea party guy. Spawn lucked out.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 14, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Keep your laws off our bodies! Except when it’s okay.

Jim Treacher on February 14, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Dontcha know? They are only “pro-choice” when it comes to uteri, rectums, and pot.

“Allowing” a grown woman the CHOICE to pick the health insurance policy that fits her needs or the CHOICE of what to pack in her child’s lunch is impermissible.

She’s too stupid for that.

Signed,

Typical, stupid, white woman in need of the “gentle, guiding hand of the benevolent Leviathan and a pat on the head from some totally, enlightened Prog”

Resist We Much on February 14, 2012 at 7:57 PM

I started first grade in ’58. And the meals sucked! They may have met “health” requirements, but I hated them.

predator on February 14, 2012 at 7:31 PM

1960 for me. And I don’t know, I kind of liked the limp soggy hot dogs with the slightly greenish tint.

Flora Duh on February 14, 2012 at 7:57 PM

If the single piece of fruit and the juice packed in the school lunch are the only fruit the kid has all day, she should be fine. And it’s better for her than most school mystery meat products. Mom has the kid eat veggies at home, so that’s got that nutritional base covered.

If you want a really interesting look at school lunches in America, watch Jamie Oliver’s show where he tries to help with lunches in West Virginia. The idiots at the school seemed to think that “grain” = “bread” so the rice with the chicken didn’t count towards the USDA’s grain quota.

Of course we also have to realize that the USDA’s grain quota is there to help the farmers, not our health.

I’ve gone paleo/primal the last few months, cutting out grains completely, and dairy mostly, and guess what? I’ve started to get my waist back after far too many years, without counting calories, starving myself or exercising to exhaustion. I haven’t caught the colds going around right now, or if I have it’s pretty mild. My migraines are much, much fewer and milder than before, and I haven’t had to take prilosec in over a month. When I eat “healthy” grains, I have to take one before bed, in addition to the regular morning dose, not to mention enough Tums to make me consider buying some of their stock.

LibraryGryffon on February 14, 2012 at 7:57 PM

predator on February 14, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Nope. Prolly Texas Tech.
He wants OUT of ill-ANNOYZ!

annoyinglittletwerp on February 14, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Have they outlawed bangers and mash? Please say no.

predator on February 14, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Not yet. Too bad we can export Mad Cow disease to the “MadCows” also known as MSNBC viewers.

:-)

Resist We Much on February 14, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Wake up, momma. Send your kid to a private institution.

MeatHeadinCA on February 14, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Unfortunately, especially in urban areas, private and charter schools have a long waiting list for new students…it’s not that easy to get yer kid in. A lot are trying to.

JetBoy on February 14, 2012 at 7:59 PM

I hope “fist sandwiches” meet the requirements!

redware on February 14, 2012 at 7:59 PM

what about the parent who has religious beliefs requiring a vegan diet. The FDA guidelines don’t allow that family to practice their beliefs. What about Kosher?

Our rights are being slowly eroded

eliyahug on February 14, 2012 at 8:00 PM

I heard the chocolate ration is going up? Is that true?

Dack Thrombosis on February 14, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Nope. Prolly Texas Tech.
He wants OUT of ill-ANNOYZ!

annoyinglittletwerp on February 14, 2012 at 7:58 PM

You raised him well. And he chose…wisely.

predator on February 14, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Democrats just can’t stay out of our kitchens.

Roymunson on February 14, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Roll up the stage. It’s over, folks.

Cleombrotus on February 14, 2012 at 8:02 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 14, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Very lucky.
Each report of the government keeping pedophiles in teaching positions, communist like intrusion, or just basic failure to educate is enough to make any mom run in terror from the public school system. I’m not opposed to private schools, but homeschooling is getting more and more appealing for me.

BakerAllie on February 14, 2012 at 8:03 PM

First, they came for the Hummers,

Then, they came for the coal plants,

Then, they came for the incandescent light bulbs,

Then, they came for the lunchboxes,

Then, they came for Obama….

…..and, I said nothing………because le bâtard had it coming.

Resist We Much on February 14, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Oliver has done a great job opening people’s eyes and forcing the likes of McDonald’s to clean up their act. Too bad it takes a Brit to help Americans realize that we’re feeding our kids second rate food. School lunch menus are dictated by what’s best for the large companies that produce frozen pizzas and other items that should never end up in school cafeterias.

bayam on February 14, 2012 at 8:04 PM

LibraryGryffon on February 14, 2012 at 7:57 PM

I’ve had a similar experience with Primal; it’s been great so far. My results would probably be even better if I cut out alcohol completely, but I don’t think I can do that until after November 6. :-)

Just Sayin on February 14, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Nikkia2112 on February 14, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I can’t imagine what it is like these days, I have my first grandchild on the way so I guess I will be shocked to find out. I think it takes parents that really are involved in what is going on. And many are just too busy to do it.

wi farmgirl on February 14, 2012 at 8:06 PM

I have learned that this is basically how liberals think about people that are less educated than they are. They think you’re stupid and that they know better how to run your life. People who are less educated than this Michigan woman may not know as much as she does about “education”, whatever that means, but they sure as hell know enough to know when they are being insulted and disrespected. I tell you I would not send my kid to any school where the teachers thought I was stupid and insisted I didn’t know what was best for my child.

GeorgiaBuckeye on February 14, 2012 at 8:06 PM

I’ve gone paleo/primal the last few months, cutting out grains completely, and dairy mostly, and guess what? I’ve started to get my waist back after far too many years, without counting calories, starving myself or exercising to exhaustion. I haven’t caught the colds going around right now, or if I have it’s pretty mild. My migraines are much, much fewer and milder than before, and I haven’t had to take prilosec in over a month. When I eat “healthy” grains, I have to take one before bed, in addition to the regular morning dose, not to mention enough.

Well done! And preach it, brother.

I always sort of knew the Paleo diet was the one that made sense, simply based on logical reasoning vs. what we know of anthropology, evolution, and how rapidly genes adapt … of course it apparent we’d feel and perform better on the diet we evolved on, not one that only became possible with agriculture and industrial processing and marketing.

But it took symptoms of and then diagnosis with type-2 diabetes for me to actually make the change.

2 days later, my diabetes symptoms were all gone and my mental and physical energy were good. Hunger is normal, not constant, and same with thirst. I actually only eat an average of 2 meals a day, not counting cream in coffee.

Since my metabolism was pretty broken, I don’t allow myself many carbs, and those I do are from vegetables and sometimes berries. So I am taking in more vitamins and minerals from plants than I was before, without the damaging pure carb part.

Fat intake is higher, which is good. I don’t eat grains so total calories ingested are actual lower, in large measure due to less hunger.

All around it’s great, plus can wear pants I hadn’t been able to in quite some time. And the positive results are increasing, plus it is easy and tasty to maintain.

Low-carb, low-fat is impossible to do (at least once you’ve lost your body fat). The human body can only digest so much pure protein.

I’ve lived off the land before as a kid in temperate climate and I know for a fact that, at that latitude at least, it’s impossible to eat a year-round high-carb diet and most calories come from fat.

Look what our recent ancestors ate: Butter, bacon, eggs, etc., and they didn’t worry about it and were leaner. Sure they ate some flour and potatoes, but little simple sugars. Food companies add sugar and high-fructose corn syrup (no worse than table sugar, but cheaper, and so used more) to EVERYTHING it seems like, and that’s not counting all the sweet foods and drinks people take, including juices.

I’m glad you have success and feel much better with a Paleo diet and the fact you did, doesn’t surprise me an iota.

Random on February 14, 2012 at 8:07 PM

I blamne the food police on Michelle Obama and her nanny state approach. Frankly, I’m surprised they just pushed three chicken nuggets (not as healthy as the turkey sandwich provided) in front of the child. If the filthy Obama regime had their way that mother would be getting a visit from the social services and possibly jail time.

Happy Nomad on February 14, 2012 at 8:08 PM

In that photo on the front page the school kids are getting all of the nutrition found in fried chicken nuggets and french fries.

amerpundit on February 14, 2012 at 8:08 PM

predator on February 14, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Flora Duh on February 14, 2012 at 7:57 PM

When I was in the third grade I attended a little two room school house (really)in Western Ky. We had one of those old pot bellied coal stoves for heat, you know like the ones you see in all those old movies. Our teacher was a little old lady who looked a lot like Granny in the Tweety and Sylvester cartoons. She was a wonderful lady and a great teacher. Every day she brought in some thick chunky soup and saltine crackers. She heated the soup in a large pot on top of the stove. That soup was great! For lunch you could buy a bowl of soup and some crackers for a small pittance (I forget how much) or you could bring your own from home. That was the only school that I routinely ate the school lunch. When I graduated third grade and transferred to the larger county school I rarely ate in the cafeteria. Either took a lunch or left campus to the local diner and grabbed a burger and fries with a coke.

Oldnuke on February 14, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Oh, and I also don’t need the anti-acid-reflux drugs I used to take. That’s a direct result of reducing carb intake. Further, while I take metformin, and it is an excellent drug, I probably don’t actually need to since the diet controls my blood sugars very well on its own. I take much less metformin than prescribed, and only with a meal … so 1-2x a day, 500 mg each meal. I do it ’cause I have it, and because it seems to be a harmless drug that also lowers cancer risk at low dosages, not because I think it’s really necessary.

Lots of type-2 diabetics lose the need for medication on a lower carb Paleo-type diet.

Random on February 14, 2012 at 8:09 PM

He says it’s just a class project and his teacher told him that it is a ‘surprise’ and not to share it with me…
Seven Percent Solution on February 14, 2012 at 7:34 PM

The day a teacher tells my child to keep anything a secret from me is the day they’re going to lose their job. Crap like that is how that (bad word self edited) in California abused children for years without be called to account for it.

I packed a lunch for my children (and my husband and I) everyday for 19 years and I’ll put my lunches up against anything that our school district ever served for not only nutritional value but they weren’t wasted either. My only regret is that we didn’t homeschool our kids instead of the nightmare of public schools we left them in.

2nd Ammendment Mother on February 14, 2012 at 8:11 PM

LibraryGryffon on February 14, 2012 at 7:57 PM

We have just gone on a Gluten Free diet, with very little bread (GF), ect. I have noticed the water weight going down, my headaches are better too. Very interesting. I am doing some lean dairy, only yougurt, some low fat cheeses and butter. No milk at all. I have also noticed my skin isn’t as dry and itchy either. Makes you wonder what is in the grains that do that. And I noticed the reflux is better too. Are our grains genetically altered?

wi farmgirl on February 14, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Michelle & Valerie Jarret are the adults in charge. Barry golfing, drinking, pontificating, etc.

BHO Jonestown on February 14, 2012 at 8:13 PM

I’m just glad to hear how healthy chicken nuggets are supposed to be, now.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 14, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Random on February 14, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Despite my username, cutting out flours and grains most of the time is the only thing that worked easily to keep me at a healthy weight.
I still eat occasional rice and fruit, but swapping out bread for bacon and eggs really did the trick.

BakerAllie on February 14, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Random on February 14, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I thought I detected some pro-paleo content in that first post of yours. I’ve been doing a slightly modified paleo diet for the last few months (I do some legumes), and it makes an appreciable difference.

Nom de Boom on February 14, 2012 at 8:15 PM

bayam on February 14, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Done with the moral outrage?

May I point out that the child in this story was given a healthy lunch from home?

The real outrage here is not what is on the school lunch menu but the fact that they have brought in TSA-like screeners to the school cafeteria. I can only imagine what kind of harassment the girl would have been subjected to if that had been a PEANUT butter sandwich (think hazmat suits and orange cones around the screening area).

Happy Nomad on February 14, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Oldnuke on February 14, 2012 at 8:08 PM

My grandmother heated her home with one of those in southwest Missouri;she also had a wood burning cook stove. She made some of the greatest meals I’ve ever eaten.

predator on February 14, 2012 at 8:16 PM

BHO Jonestown on February 14, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Don’t forget “prevaricating.” :-)

Resist We Much on February 14, 2012 at 8:16 PM

BakerAllie on February 14, 2012 at 7:54 PM

We actually have considered homeschool and haven’t totally ruled it out. I am not sure I have the confidence and discipline needed to pull it off effectively. I’ve just started to research it to see if it will be a good fit for us. My husband travels and works long hours, and honestly I am afraid that would be more than my mental state could handle. Just keepin’ it real!

Nikkia2112 on February 14, 2012 at 8:16 PM

I watch this age children eat lunch every day. We are private and small so students have to bring their lunches. Some parents send healthy , balanced lunches, and some do not. In either case, it is not my business what my students eat.

That is a school of fools! They should be about the business of education not the business of food snoops.

jazzuscounty on February 14, 2012 at 8:17 PM

At what point will parents be fed up enough to economize and homeschool? My mother home schooled my nephew, and he benefited tremendously–and they didn’t deal with the food Nazis.

DrMagnolias on February 14, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Nikkia – I beg you to consider getting off the hamster wheel now. If you can afford to be home with your kids now, keep doing it. Check out virtual schools; they’re well worth it in the long run.

Nope. Prolly Texas Tech.
He wants OUT of ill-ANNOYZ!

annoyinglittletwerp on February 14, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Heck yes – Guns Up!

2nd Ammendment Mother on February 14, 2012 at 8:18 PM

I’d say the mother is better qualified and capable to watch her child’s diet than the school is. For one thing, she knows the child won’t eat vegetables on her own, while the school thinks because they put them on her plate, she’ll eat them. For another, she actually observes the child at home, and knows what healthy foods she’ll eat.

If she’s eating vegetables at home, there’s no reason the child needs to eat vegetables at all during the school day. There’d be nothing unhealthy about a lunch featuring cheese, boiled eggs, cold cuts, or what have you. It wouldn’t destabilize the child’s blood sugar, either, leading to difficulties in concentrating and learning, improper “ADHD” diagnose, etc.

Sure, she could eat vegetables at lunch, but no harm would fall to her if she didn’t. I agree the school should not be mandating what kids eat. If they have healthy food options available for parents to buy, that’s enough. Although … a reduction in sugars and so forth available would be good too.

That isn’t to say parents shouldn’t have the right to give them to their kids, but they are damaging, and I don’t see why the government should be providing them as options to kids anymore than they should alcohol or cocaine.

I am a libertarian. I favour banning none of these things. Just saying I see no need for the government to provide them to children.

Random on February 14, 2012 at 8:21 PM

I don’t understand why everyone is surprised by this and this isn’t about ‘school lunches’ . When the state can tell you to wear a seatbelt or a helmet they can tell you to do anything and you must comply. Why, you ask? Because we abrogated our responsibility and accountability to the state, that’s why. They control the monies and therefore the decisions. It’s the price you pay for living in a socialist state. Deal with it.

LizardLips on February 14, 2012 at 8:22 PM

What I’ve always found interesting is, it’s the Democrats who always claim Republicans want to get involved with YOUR decisions. Why on earth don’t the Republicans latch on to this stuff and complain, like Democrats would if the shoes were reversed.

bflat879 on February 14, 2012 at 8:24 PM

“I am doing some lean dairy, only yougurt, some low fat cheeses and butter.”

Just my two cents, but I think you are better off with the full-fat versions. They have a lower amount of milk sugars per calorie.

It’s like reducing the bread you’re already reducing. There are benefits from that, including lowering gluten but also lowering the ration of carbs you eat compared to protein and, especially, to fat. This will sound counterintuitive, but for tens of thousands of years humans made no conscious effort to limit fats and were leaner. Since the 70s, we’ve tried to limit fats and have replaced them with carbohydrates out of resultant necessity — and we fatter and sicker.

Carbohydrates (grain) are what we use to fatten cattle.

Random on February 14, 2012 at 8:24 PM

joana on February 14, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Spot-on correct!

The idea that government knows best, and should have the power to enforce, a given set of behavioral norms our society should follow, is insane. From what we eat, to the products we buy — from relationships between two consenting adults, to being forced to discuss “end of life” decisions with our doctor,…Government continues to intrude into our lives, at a frightening pace.

Once again folks…If we go down this road, we are giving to government an entirely new set of powers to use against the citizenry, “for our own good”. And while (for example) you may find yourself agreeing with Santorum (regarding his latest gaffe about contraception being a “public policy issue”, or any other conservative candidate or politician who would use governmental powers in this way, you must ask yourself this: Should this be a function of federal government, and if so, upon what basis do you make your claim? Where in the Constitution or other founding documents is government granted such power? Should this be a “proper function of the executive” (as Ace puts it)? Do you want government to engage in this activity, on your dime? Do you want this power to be in the hands of the opposition when they are elected into a majority? Would you trust them with that power? Is government the best authority when it comes to mandating behavioral norms for our society? (And please keep in mind, I’m not speaking of any behavior which could currently be prosecuted under existing laws. Allowing folks to rob banks – for example – is NOT what I’m referring to when I imply that government shouldn’t regulate societal behaviors.)

Remember…You may agree with a certain set of behavioral norms because they pluck at your ‘heart strings’ and resonate with your own set of beliefs by which you live your life, but…Don’t be fooled. This issue is used, time and time again, in election after election. It is a “political football” tossed around by both sides, to their advantage, to hold or attain power.

As for such issues being raised at this time, during the GOP primary season, and during a campaign year…Again, don’t be fooled. Obama’s team clearly planned the release of this news about Obamacare’s mandates on contraception & faith-based businesses, in order to influence the GOP races. He (Obama) is once again tossing around this “political football”, and folks are buying into the distraction. We’re talking about granting government more power over our lives, when we should be talking about the excessive powers which already hamper our daily living. We’re deep in debt and getting deeper by the minute. Gas prices are at an all-time high, and projected to go even higher as the warmer months come around. I could go on and on…

Why in the hell are we allowing ourselves to be distracted with this BS?

Talismen on February 14, 2012 at 8:25 PM

…aaaannnd there’s why we’ve lost the Republic. What got her mad is not that some fascist government bureaucrat is poking their slimy hands into her kids lunch … no … she’s mad that she’s been accused of not packing a lunch correctly. Even goes so far as to defend what’s in it.

When you accept the government’s purported authority to inspect a kid’s lunch in the first place, you’re already done.

Lost in Jersey on February 14, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Seven Percent Solution on February 14, 2012 at 7:41 PM

I was QC at Tyson’s when they had the McDonald’s nugget contract, so I know what is in them :)

Didn’t stop me from eating them then, either. I would make a good contestant on Fear Factor….

Wolftech on February 14, 2012 at 8:27 PM

I sent some kind of cartoon shaped fruit snacks with the youngest and the principal told him to tell me (?????) not to send candy anymore. I don’t think she cared about what he was eating but that he was sharing. She believed in no talking at lunch. She was not a good choice for an elementary school principal.

Cindy Munford on February 14, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Nikkia2112 on February 14, 2012 at 8:16 PM

I have heard the recourses are very good these days. But they are or can be expensive.

wi farmgirl on February 14, 2012 at 8:27 PM

When do we say enough. The federal guidelines are to be followed because the school gets federal dollars. When do we wake up and remind DC where they get their money from. We are taxed, the government takes those dollars and hands them back out with stipulations and we all act like this is normal.

Ufdaubet on February 14, 2012 at 7:33 PM

+1000

BierManVA on February 14, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Nom de Boom on February 14, 2012 at 8:15 PM

I’m sure it did.

Also, there is some evidence that some Paleolithic groups small amounts of grains and legumes, possibly even raw (grains more than legumes: legumes are often poisonous when raw).

I stress small amounts.

I’m not a Paleo “purist”. We’re omnivores. But we’re omnivores that did not evolve on Slurpees.

Random on February 14, 2012 at 8:28 PM

^ate

Random on February 14, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Heck yes – Guns Up!

2nd Ammendment Mother on February 14, 2012 at 8:18 PM

I’ll also be attending ‘Tech this fall…part-time…same major as my son. *evil laugh*

annoyinglittletwerp on February 14, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Random on February 14, 2012 at 8:24 PM LibraryGryffon on February 14, 2012 at 7:57 PM

I have found huge improvements in my life with a low carb diet also.

Cindy Munford on February 14, 2012 at 8:30 PM

“It’s the dismal tide. It is not the one thing….Not the one thing.”

Norky on February 14, 2012 at 8:31 PM

BakerAllie on February 14, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Ha. That’s awesome. Ironically so, and the contrast between the two speaks volumes.

Random on February 14, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Since this seems to be a combination thread with commentary on diets and the true outrage of Michelle Obama’s food police confiscating food that some TSA-like drone feels doesn’t meet (very lax) standards. Let me add this.

Over the last year I dropped over forty pounds through lifestyle changes (read more healthy diet and increase in activity/exercise). I did it because I knew if I didn’t do something I would end up having serious health problems. I deliberately lost weight slowly because the only way to make something like this a lasting change is to learn new habits.

The most important lesson for me was the idea of primarily shopping around the edge of a grocery store. Stick with the fresh stuff which is generally around the edges instead of purchasing the more processed stuff in all those aisles. No gimmicky diet (like what cavemen or Jesus would have eaten and don’t get me started on diets that completely eliminate something like carbs or sugar). The goal is learning how to eat realistically FOR LIFE.

Happy Nomad on February 14, 2012 at 8:32 PM

When my daughter was in second grade, the school had a reporter come in to do a story on what kids take for lunch (the purpose of the article was that the school was trying to “direct students to healthier eating”). They spoke to my daughter, and took a picture of her and her little friend eating their lunch. They asked permission to publish the picture in the paper with the story, and i agreed. There was my daughter with her little sandwich and package of potato chips, Little Debbie, and Hi-C juice box, in a story about healthy eating! She was always picky, just like my son, and my concern with them while at school was always to just be certain they ate, period. I never made a big deal out of forbidden foods, and just tried to be accommodating…always had a wide variety of food in the house, and all by themselves, they discovered that they liked a lot of healthy stuff…like ALT, I’ve had issues most of my life related to eating, and I never wanted my daughters to feel the way I did, repulsed at myself for eating something I shouldn’t have, and feeling fat and ugly after simply eating a meal. I’m very happy to say that today all three of my kids have no eating problems, they are all in very good shape, they eat a wide variety of foods, and best of all, my girls have no issues involving food and their bodies…i hope that people push back in these instances.

ellifint on February 14, 2012 at 8:32 PM

in elementary school in the 70s only the rich kids bought their lunch- as another commenter noted. the rest of us brought from home and you bought your milk( heavily subsidized) at school. in high school i recall the cafeteria food was inedible- no one ate unless it was pizza or hamburger day. i bought gummi bears from the band kids with my lunch money- and 30 years on i am still alive after this years long sugar lunch experience with no bad effect to my health.

kids are notoriously strange and picky eaters. i wouldn’t eat meat when i was young( my parents were not vegetarians-few people in mainstream america were then). if i wasn’t allowed to eat what my mother made- things she knew from long and painful experience i would eat- i would have starved. but then again my parents did not view the school as responsible for feeding me- they knew that was their responsibility alone.

but when large segments of society increasingly shift their parental duties off on others and onto the state- the state eventually indulges in creep and decides it has a right to usurp that power over all the rest of the kids as well- including those with parents who take care of them properly.

i would have complained that we were muslim and there was no proof that those compressed chicken parts were halal….just to watch them squirm about.

mittens on February 14, 2012 at 8:34 PM

“The most important lesson for me was the idea of primarily shopping around the edge of a grocery store.”

This much is true.

(Except for spices. Gotta have spices. A quick foray into the lion’s den to emerge with some tumeric and hot sauce is worth it.)

Random on February 14, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Carbohydrates (grain) are what we use to fatten cattle.

Random on February 14, 2012 at 8:24 PM

I have just started buy the low fat versions due to a son that has IBS, he can’t do the high fat versions. I have always eaten the full fat. I figured out quite a few years ago that milk kills me. Most of our kids can’t either. I have always baked with butter, but have noticed the flours have changed a lot through the years. Nothing bakes like it use to. What the heck have they done to our food chain? Other bakers I know say the same. I have noted lots of GF foods coming out, so many are intolerant to it. We are doing this for the son to see if gluten free can make him feel better. I have noticed I feel better already, not sure he does…lol. We are eating better foods though too.

wi farmgirl on February 14, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Happy Nomad on February 14, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Exactly. That is what we try to do too. Fresh, not processed, and now cutting out the grains as much as I can. It is really hard to do!

wi farmgirl on February 14, 2012 at 8:40 PM

predator on February 14, 2012 at 8:16 PM

My grandmother learned to cook on a wood burning stove on the family farm in Illinois. She was an outstanding cook on what would be called “rustic” or “comfort food” in today’s much more sophisticated food world where you can get any sort of ingredient fresh at any time of the year (i.e. no need for canning). The downside, she learned to cook by look, feel, and sense not directions. She knew how to cook lots of stuff but she couldn’t give you a single recipe.

Happy Nomad on February 14, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Random on February 14, 2012 at 8:36 PM

You sound like the husband tumeric and cumin are on his list of have to use lots of… and italian herbs on every thing.

wi farmgirl on February 14, 2012 at 8:45 PM

My child is in a private Christian school but I don’t think he’s safe from this crap there. The govt can tell the catholic church to pay for condoms and eventually abotrtions whos to say they wont try to tell private schools they have to teach sex ed the liberal way and hand out condoms? I can see liberals imposing their food standards on private schools down the road. They will start a war against homeschooling too nothing is safe from this insanity. The most shocking thing about this is it’s in North Carolina and not California.

ldbgcoleman on February 14, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Another school board that needs to GO!

GarandFan on February 14, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Even worse, USDA guidelines are widely criticized by dieticians because of their extreme over empahsis on carbohydrates.
I do not want the government defining healthy for me or my family.

paulsur on February 14, 2012 at 8:50 PM

I will tell you a true story.

My mom almost died of celiac disease as a kid. Had an extended belly that other kids used to make fun of. Literally was taken to school (a Catholic school, taught by nuns, because it was closer than the public school — she hated the nuns, incidentally) in a sled by a St. Bernard in winter sometimes. Sickly.

They didn’t quite know what it was until later, but one doctor was more progressive and put her on a diet based off of gelatin (protein) and bananas.

She lived. I’m here.

Many children died during a worldwide celiac epidemic in the late 40s and early 50s. So much so that “full-blown” celiacs are rare, and most people affected by it have much more minor symptoms than protein wasting, extended stomach, and death.

What had happened is scientists cross-bred wheat to raise the gluten (it’s one of the proteins in wheat) content vs. the other proteins. Gluten is “sticky” and was thought to produce better flour for breads, pastries, cakes, and the like.

Almost killed my mom, too.

Random on February 14, 2012 at 8:51 PM

For Thanksgiving, the school had a “Multi-Cultural Feast.” Each child had to choose a county and bring dish representing that nation. My son was the only student to bring a dish representing the United States (Mac & Cheese!). Seriously, WTF?? Thanksgiving is an AMERICAN holiday for crying out loud!!

I have a similar public school story. All the kids in son #1′s 3rd grade class were given an outline of a person (kind of like a paper doll) that they were supposed to take home and “decorate” in clothing to represent their heritage. My son wanted to make his a Continental soldier. Seemed appropriate to me since most of his ancestors were here by the mid-1700′s and he’s a regular all-American mutt.

But the teacher told him he failed to understand the assignment. I guess having ancestors in the Revolution doesn’t count as one’s heritage.

BTW, he’s been homeschooled since 4th grade.

CJ on February 14, 2012 at 8:51 PM

The State knows best. Fuc*ing communists.

Jaibones on February 14, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Michelle is busy changing the Military lunches too.
Schadenfreude on February 14, 2012 at 7:31 PM

on whatgrounds does a m1a2 sized azz owner tell us what to eat?

Guess we will call it the Sasquatch diet

Sonosam on February 14, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Mmmmm, mmmmmm.

Hey, next time I see a story about some crazy woman in the headlines taking out her hubby, it had better be you! I have a feeling you and I could enjoy some great cuisine together.

Just kidding.

~~

As far as IBD, I know little about it. Do whatever works, of course.

Random on February 14, 2012 at 8:53 PM

I do not want the government defining healthy for me or my family.

paulsur on February 14, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Exactly. Those guys are a joke – on our dime.

thirtyandseven on February 14, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Michelle is busy changing the Military lunches too.
Schadenfreude on February 14, 2012 at 7:31 PM

on whatgrounds does a m1a2 sized azz behemoth tell us what to eat?

Guess we will call it the S@squ@tch diet

Sonosam on February 14, 2012 at 8:56 PM

ellifint on February 14, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Stay where you are the black helicopters from Michelle Obama’s food stormtroopers will be there shortly. There is no statute of limitations on bad nutrition! :0

Seriously, when I think back to the school food when I was growing up, this little girl had a far more healthy lunch than anything available. And I still think shoving three chicken nuggets at her and charging the mother $1.50 for them is an affront on our liberties. It would be one thing if Michelle Obama’s stormtroopers had decided the lunch was wanting and sent a letter home but to deny the girl to eat her lunch and then charge the mother for the “acceptable” meal is outrageous.

AND I’M NOT EVEN GETTING INTO THE ISSUE OF WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE FOOD POLICE DECIDES THAT A KOSHER MEAL IS DEFICIENT AND SERVES A JEWISH CHILD A PORK PRODUCT.

Happy Nomad on February 14, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Exactly. Those guys are a joke – on our dime.

thirtyandseven on February 14, 2012 at 8:53 PM

After my diagnosis of diabetes, the diabetes association literature I was handed at the doctor’s office and pharmacy said I was to eat a 50-55% carbohydrate diet.

I said to hell with you in my mind. I was mad, frankly.

Both the doctor and the pharmacy’s “certified diabetes educator” said I should be open to needing insulin and other drugs other than metformin down the road.

I let her have it. Unlike her, I knew what I was talking about, including with reference to studies.

So I cut back carbs, increased fat, and my blood sugars were beginning to be under control two days later … and all my diabetes symptoms, quite classic ones, disappeared within two days and have never returned.

The American Diabetes’ Association’s own literature says low carb diets work better! Allegedly, they don’t think people can stay on them. Well of course they can’t, because they’re told they’re unhealthy and dangerous, which is nonsense (ask the Eskimos).

In reality, they get lobbied a lot by major food processors and drug companies. The insulin and other oral antibiotic drugs are needed in direct relationship to carbohydrates ingested by type-2 diabetics, so of course they’re not going to discourage eating them much.

But a funny thing happened on the way to the bank.

It turns out that if you have a broken metabolism that can’t handle sugar and starch … reducing sugar and starch helps.

Random on February 14, 2012 at 9:01 PM

+1 to the Paleo/primal eating. While my family isn’t 100%, we try to use it as a guide. We’ve seen amazing results in our health just by changing diet.

Watch Food, Inc – it’s a good first step to understanding “what’s happened to our food”

WhaleBellied on February 14, 2012 at 9:05 PM

I used to love my state but damned if it isn’t becoming obamaesc. Looking to get out before I subject my son to the NC school system if things do not start changing. Hopefully deposing Bev will help.

traye on February 14, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Anyone who would willingly hand over one of their greatest responsibilities to the government really has no room for complaint.

Dante on February 14, 2012 at 9:07 PM

We even brought our lunch to school. :)

JPeterman on February 14, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Good on you!

Schadenfreude on February 14, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Just keep out off my plate, and what I choose to either eat or not. Its really that simple. Or, it should be…

Sharr on February 14, 2012 at 9:10 PM