New Romney ad: Who’s going to drive you home tonight, Michigan?

posted at 4:50 pm on February 14, 2012 by Allahpundit

A visual reminder to the locals that he’s got a Michigan automotive pedigree that Senator Sweater Vest can’t match. Surprised to see him so positive here? Don’t be. The attacks are coming:

The Pennsylvania Republican will “be defined by two things,” the [Romney] advisor said.

The first is a comparison to Barack Obama: “He’s never run anything,” said the advisor. The Pennyslvanian’s experience is limited to roles as a legislator and legislative staffer. “The biggest thing he ever ran is his Senate office,” he siad.

The second is a challenge to Santorum’s Washington experience.

“They’re going to hit him very hard on earmarks, lobbying, voting to raise the federal debt limit five times,” said the advisor. “The story of Santorum is going to be told over the next few weeks in a big way.”

I don’t know. Lack of executive experience and Beltway insider-ism are two different things, but when you’re pushing them both simultaneously, I wonder if they won’t inadvertently cancel each other out. The attack on his experience is essentially an argument that he’s too green to run the ferocious federal machine efficiently … except that, as a two-term senator, he actually knows how the federal machine works better than Romney does. I think they’re better off trying to tear him down for being a big-spending RINO — and indeed, that attack’s coming too.

You’re also starting to see closer scrutiny of Santorum in conservative media commensurate with his national surge. Go read Philip Klein on RS’s “big-government parochialism” — when it came to steel tariffs, blocking “right to work” laws, and of course earmarks, he was a true blue Pennsylvanian — and Conn Carroll arguing that Santorum’s paternalism makes him a (shudder) “David Brooks Republican” prone to government social engineering efforts. (Er, can the mastermind behind RomneyCare really make that argument?) An interesting thought experiment: If, if, if we end up in a brokered convention with most delegates split between Romney and Santorum, would RS’s paternalistic streak tip Ron Paul’s delegates towards Mitt? Remember, Romney and Paul are on good terms and Paul’s said in the past that he likes the fact that Mitt has a business background. Santorum, as a passionate culture warrior, will alienate libertarians more than Romney will — unless Mitt lets Santorum drag him so far to the right on social issues that he’s not only compromised in the general but potentially compromised among moderates and libertarians if/when this becomes a two-man race. He’s not going to out-social-con Santorum so I don’t know why he bothers trying. Hit him on his fiscal heresies, over and over.

According to Rasmussen, Santorum now leads in Michigan by three among likely voters. That’s good news for Romney given yesterday’s hair-raising PPP poll putting the margin at 15. The bad news is that Santorum’s base seems to be more committed than Romney’s is, and the really bad news is that the more Gingrich becomes an afterthought in these races, the greater the risk that his money will dry up and he’ll be forced to drop out. Byron York sees Arizona and Michigan as a pair of one-on-one contests between Mitt and Newt and Mitt and Rick, respectively, but if Romney’s destined to lose in Michigan, I wonder if he’d actually prefer to lose in Arizona too in order to keep Gingrich in the game. Anything he can do to stave off the consolidation of the conservative vote is good for him; his nightmare scenario, I think, is that Santorum wins big in Michigan on February 28 while Newt gets crushed in both states, whereupon Gingrich is suddenly a nonfactor the following week on Super Tuesday while the press is buzzing about Santorum. Even the Romney Super PAC death star would be tested by that.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Apparently you know nothing about Mitt’s sons…they stated that working for their dads campaign last time was equal to serving in the military and service to the country…oh yeah, serving their dad equals fighting a war overseas, putting your life on the line, is the same as traveling across the country in an RV campaigning….naw, they are not “out of touch”…you are…just ask them.

right2bright on February 14, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Well for a family that is used to living in an 11K sq ft house and staying at the 4 Seasons while on vacation, an RV is probably worse than going to war.

angryed on February 14, 2012 at 5:51 PM

The anti-Romney people are jaded, they can’t realize the “person of the week” they support has a record as bad as or worse than his. The pattern just keeps happening over and over. I will cause an uproar with this comment, but I’m beginning to think for some it is just whom ever is the latest non-Morman.

Tater Salad on February 14, 2012 at 5:52 PM

From Tea Party to Bean Baggers-
FlaMurph on February 14, 2012 at 5:23 PM

What does that mean? I’ve see a lot of people make this reference or say politics ain’t beanbag….HUH?
angryed on February 14, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Judging by your comments, I didn’t think you were watching the debates.

Basilsbest on February 14, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Don’t attack joana. She’ll report you to the HA owners.

Schadenfreude on February 14, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Not to mention
ATTAAAAAACKKKK WAAAATTCH!!

katy the mean old lady on February 14, 2012 at 5:52 PM

I always pictured CSDeven as a 19 year old intern at Romney HQ in 2008 who got promoted to Director of Conservative Media Counterintelligence (aka paid troll) in 2010.

angryed on February 14, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Think of her being celestially married to a God that looks very much like Mitt…I think that would be more accurate.

right2bright on February 14, 2012 at 5:53 PM

angryed on February 14, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Sounds like you need a tent and a 99%er sign.

Tater Salad on February 14, 2012 at 5:54 PM

I’m waiting for examples of Romney’s fiscal conservatism while governor…other than maybe cutting back on kosher meal preparation. LOL

ddrintn on February 14, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Start by comparing the number of spending bills Romney vetoed in his final year in office with the number of spending increases Santorum voted against in his last year. If you can find any.

That Romney isn’t a True Conservative does not imply that Santorum is.

Hollowpoint on February 14, 2012 at 5:54 PM

angryed on February 14, 2012 at 5:51 PM

They learned well…Mission in France, Vietnam war…which one sounds better?

right2bright on February 14, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Judging by your comments, I didn’t think you were watching the debates.

Basilsbest on February 14, 2012 at 5:52 PM

You’re right I haven’t. I’ve seen bits and pieces from some. Only ones I actually saw in full were the last Iowa one (the $10K bet) and one of the early Florida debates, the one with gay solider question.

Now that aside, what does beanbag mean?

angryed on February 14, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Michigan has been my home Mitt for 50 years. I am voting for Rick S.

mechkiller_k on February 14, 2012 at 5:49 PM

You are not alone, my friend.

Norwegian on February 14, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I admit you are one of the most respectful Romney supporters, sadly you are in a VERY small minority, Most Romney supporters are the opposite: See Jailbreak, csdevan, jaona, MjBrutus, vyce, etc.

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 14, 2012 at 5:42 PM

..you are kind. I kinda think that everyone here is getting whipped up into a frenzy because they (you and I and others) care a great deal about this election and principles. We ALL want to — in one way or another — see Obama ejected. (Unless one is a Soros troll, I guess.) Most of the folks here would become a friend were you to meet and chat personally. It’s just differences of opinion. Doubt me, follow a thread around the Holidays or Easter and see how people here wish each other the best.

As I said to AngyEd and others, posting here (and even reading the comments) became a frustrating experience. It was more important to ask questions or make comments that moved the ball down the field rather than take someone down.

I am exclusively, 100%, and terminally ABO and saving all of my vitriol and invective for The Pantload and his incredibly dense minions.

You know, the people who really deserve it!

The War Planner on February 14, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Scrooit. Imma become a Romneybot. I’ve had it.

Lanceman on February 14, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Psssst…

… There is another Mittens vs Ricko thread over there =>

Seven Percent Solution on February 14, 2012 at 5:56 PM

This Paul supporter would rather vote for Romney every day for a year than have to pull the lever for Santorum.

…and I don’t even like Romney.

thirtyandseven on February 14, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Exactly, and that helps create the “anxiety” level…I doubt Rick or Newt has the money to infiltrate these posts…but someone help me the great commentator (whom I forced out of the closet), oh, manlyrush I think was his name.
I was skewered for weeks by people for me claiming he was paid by the RNC…and he admitted it, in the final days of the campaign.
He was really good, excellent poster, much better than some of Mitt’s operatives…he should have set up a school on “how to post”…

right2bright on February 14, 2012 at 5:45 PM

I know Mittens has paid operatives here, I figured the RNC had operatives here that monitored the threads to see reactions to certain events. There are respectful Romney supporters, but most are not.

Joana, Jailbreak are complete nuts, MJBrutus, CsDevin, consistently nasty and smearing conservatives

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 14, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Some days I wish I were to be honest. Life would be a lot easier if my biggest worry in the world would be who will win American Idol or Dancing With The Start. I kind of envy those people, they live in a bubble of happy stupidity.

angryed on February 14, 2012 at 5:47 PM

..but that would not be you. You got a lot going for you. You burn my buns, for example, by dredging up those worrisome and niggling facts about Romney’s tenure as governor in MA.

Curse you! You make me think!

Thanks!

The War Planner on February 14, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Remember Reagans 11th commandment, speak no ill of fellow republicans? Ahhh the good old days

steel guy on February 14, 2012 at 5:59 PM

..and if I get any more treacly, I’ll have to get an insulin shot.

The War Planner on February 14, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Sounds like you need a tent and a 99%er sign.

Tater Salad on February 14, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Yawn.

For several years back in the boom days, I was in the 1% and my tax returns showed it thank you very much. So if I want to take a pot shot at the upper class twit type of behavior exhibited by Willard and Co, I will.

There are 3 types of rich people.

1. Rich people who you’d never know are rich.
2. Rich people who tell you they’re rich every 10 seconds
3. Rich people who don’t want anyone to know they’re rich but they exude elitist NE snobbery from every pore and the mre they try to hide it, the worse it gets.

Romney is #3 and then some. It’s funny to watch. If you took your head out of his aZZ for two seconds you’d also see the humor in it.

angryed on February 14, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Let’s try to avoid the childish name-calling.

I asked for an example of something on his record – when he actually had to take positions and vote as an elected official. Apparently he was okay with the financial bailout in 2008 anyway, so I’m not really sure your point stands.

But again: Santorum was a congressman and Senator for more than 20 years. Twenty years in Washington. And you can’t find a single thing in his record that makes him recommendable on spending/public debt?

joana on February 14, 2012 at 5:51 PM

It’s childish for you to ask questions and then play jury when you don’t like the answer.

TARP has been publically defended by Mitt and publically attacked by Santorum. If you want to play a question/answer game, then you say why Mitt’s TARP support is fiscally conservative, but Santorum’s opposition is fiscally ‘socialist.’ Explain it. I want a 500 word essay that will be rejected for spelling mistakes.

Deafdog on February 14, 2012 at 6:00 PM

steel guy on February 14, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Relax, we’re just getting warmed up for when we turn the blow torch on that turd in the White House.

We’ll be o.k.

The War Planner on February 14, 2012 at 6:00 PM

That Romney isn’t a True Conservative does not imply that Santorum is.

Hollowpoint on February 14, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Seems to me that that paragraph A would be the prologue to paragraph B. You’re the ones that are making the point. And that Santorum isn’t perfect doesn’t make Romney any less of a crap sandwich. I don’t know of a SantorumCare.

ddrintn on February 14, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 14, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Nah, Mitt is a cusiessman. No way would he pay for that drivel.

katy the mean old lady on February 14, 2012 at 6:00 PM

right2bright on February 14, 2012 at 5:53 PM
Hey Allah, why do d bags like this get the same right to vote that I do? Proof that democracy doesnt produce the best government, it only produces the government we deserve.
Oh, by the way right2bright, f@ck you and the horse you rode in on.

drballard on February 14, 2012 at 6:01 PM

We’ll be o.k.

The War Planner on February 14, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Hope you’re right, I just don’t have a good feeling

steel guy on February 14, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Tater Salad on February 14, 2012 at 5:46 PM

I love the great Reagan, knowing full well that he was a man, not a god. He was not perfect. You’re not quite right, but I love him still. He actually increased some taxes in the 2nd term, was for that ridiculous amnesty deal, didn’t own up to the Contra, listening to his wife. This would have ended all in 2-3 days. Instead so many had to suffer, so many good men/women.

But still, I love him. He’s one of the best presidents, ever, with few exceptions.

Schadenfreude on February 14, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Deafdog on February 14, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Do you want me to repeat the question? I explicitly mentioned – and bolded the words – “looking at his record“. I went to state “Words are cheap”. If you want to answer my question, please do. But dont’ force me to accept an answer to something I didn’t ask.

Still, I’ve linked you to an article – I suspect there are few more – where Santorum was praising the bailout in 2008. Do you have any evidence of him being against it before 2010?

I think you’ll be a little surprised in the next few weeks if you think that Santorum was against the bailouts/TARP. I mean, that would be quite inconsistent with his voting record – you admit that, no?

joana on February 14, 2012 at 6:04 PM

steel guy on February 14, 2012 at 5:59 PM

That was before Palin, or Angle, or O’Donnell. It’s open season now.

ddrintn on February 14, 2012 at 6:05 PM

ddrintn on February 14, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Sure you do- it’s called Medicare Part D, the biggest expansion of entitlement programs in recent history. And you can’t just move to another state if you don’t want to pay for it.

Hollowpoint on February 14, 2012 at 6:06 PM

You know, the people who really deserve it!

The War Planner on February 14, 2012 at 5:55 PM

There are threads were most of us come together, and I completely agree the tension is increased because we are all deep inside scared/anxious about the upcoming election. There are an increased amount of liberal trolls that come here to try and get under our skin. (I let KeninCt and Lib4Life get under my skin just the other day and got over emotional and I was close to getting banned.) I literally saw RED few times. But with the exception of the lib trolls, and a few others, I think everyone here has the same goals.

Thanks again for being the voice of reason, and being a class act all the way.

I do need to tone it down and not get over emotional.

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 14, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Romney translated in Chippewa means “He who appears at first snowfall…every fourth year.”

AmeriCuda on February 14, 2012 at 6:08 PM

right2bright, you wonder why folks get nasty? It’s bullsh!t like you. You can bitch all you want about Romney’s religion. How would folks react if we started talking about catholicism like you constantly whine about mormonism? See, thats why ALL conservative should whine about people like you. You’re a leftie that is too stupid to know you’re a leftie. I couldn’t care less about magic underwear, transubstitution, snake handling, papists, or who’s Jesus is better- it’s about the rights of all Americans to take part in our great experiment. You see everything through your view of who you think is God’s favorite. Hey, howsabout you let God figure that out? Shut up and debate using salient facts

drballard on February 14, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Nah, Mitt is a cusiessman. No way would he pay for that drivel.

katy the mean old lady on February 14, 2012 at 6:00 PM

His dad was a big admired of Alinsky. And the carpet bombing ad campaigns he has run are completely consistent with his character.

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 14, 2012 at 6:09 PM

The best approach to use against Santorum is that he is not a real conservative on most economic issues, specifically including tax rates, and advocates special tax treatment for select industries. Rick is certainly no supply sider.

matthew8787 on February 14, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Schadenfreude on February 14, 2012 at 6:02 PM

I couldn’t agree more with your sentiment, I’m just not sure realizing Romney isn’t Reagan makes the list of past non-Romney’s any better.

Tater Salad on February 14, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Joana, Jailbreak are complete nuts

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 14, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Ah, that’s a new one! Kudos on the creativity.

joana on February 14, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Tater Salad on February 14, 2012 at 6:10 PM

The entire field, incl. Obama, are an utter disaster, at a very pivotal time.

Schadenfreude on February 14, 2012 at 6:11 PM

It’s an ok ad, but Romney is lacking a theme to his candidacy.

Deafdog on February 14, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Exactly!!!

According to his campaign so far, the only two reasons to vote for Rinomney are:

1. It’s his turn

2. He’s not Obama

The stuff about Rinomney running large organizations is not, in itself, interesting…UNTIL WE KNOW WHAT HE WILL DO!!!! Rinomney’s organizational skills could be a huge negative if he will not make total repeal of Obamacare a top priority!!!

The last thing this country needs is efficient implementation of Obamacare: it will destroy everything!

landlines on February 14, 2012 at 6:12 PM

That was before Palin, or Angle, or O’Donnell. It’s open season now.

ddrintn on February 14, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Most of the “moderates” threw a hissy fit and voted for Reid here in NV. (17% of Republicans) and the Marxist in DE (24% of Republicans)

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 14, 2012 at 6:12 PM

So many of you people posting here sound like Democrats. It’s amazing. The class envy is disgusting.

jan3 on February 14, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Hollowpoint on February 14, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Really now. I didn’t know that was Santorum’s brainchild. And did then-governor Romney protest vociferously against such a breach of conservative ideology, or was he too busy endorsing McCain’s amnesty plans?

ddrintn on February 14, 2012 at 6:13 PM

joana is right on Santorum.

joana, I sincerely mean this. The non-Santorum folks fail to realize that he’s a social-con, but otherwise very proletarian/socialist. It’s just that Romney is not any more conservative, or better on so many items.

Unfortunately the entire field is bad, on both sides.

Schadenfreude on February 14, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 14, 2012 at 6:09 PM

I’m not a Mitt supporter, but using that “Mitt’s dad admired Alinsky” is really stretching the truth.

There are plenty of other things to beat Mitt up on, that is not one of them.

JPeterman on February 14, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Ah, that’s a new one! Kudos on the creativity.

joana on February 14, 2012 at 6:11 PM

You are a complete nut, you don’t remember what you said in the other thread? You called me a liberal “religious crazy” because I said I couldn’t vote for Mittens.

That’s after you said Bush was too Liberal for you in 2000 and 2004

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 14, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Where have all of those “Newt’s our man” posters of two weeks ago gone? Back then you had to look hard to find a Santorum supporter. Is there a correlation?

Tater Salad on February 14, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Tater Salad on February 14, 2012 at 5:52 PM

“Buy this, or go to Jail”

-Governor Mitt Romney

Worse than that, Tater Salad????

portlandon on February 14, 2012 at 6:16 PM

matthew8787 on February 14, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Maybe, but it brings the risible possibilities of Mitt Romney sitting in judgement of conservative credentials. This is going to be a little dicier for ol’ Mitt than going after Freddie Mac ties and ethics charges.

ddrintn on February 14, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 14, 2012 at 6:12 PM

That’s depressing. I had been assuming SEIU simply helped Reid steal it. One of those too comforting to check things. The idea that Reid actually won a majority of the votes makes me want to reach for the nearest straight razor.

Kataklysmic on February 14, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Thanks again for being the voice of reason, and being a class act all the way.

We’ll follow him to the barricades, that’s for sure.

I do need to tone it down and not get over emotional.

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 14, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Just be yourself. The two you listed, ignore. They are sockpuppets, paid or gratis, to increase traffic or to propagandize for Obama. Either have fun with them, or truly overlook. Their comments are computer-generated. Note how they work in shifts and in groups, most of the time. There are certain times when none can be spotted, especially when the topics are incredibly mock-ripe against their Messiah.

Schadenfreude on February 14, 2012 at 6:18 PM

There are plenty of other things to beat Mitt up on, that is not one of them.

JPeterman on February 14, 2012 at 6:13 PM

To be fair, I am not inaccurate when I say that Mittens campaign has run misleading, nasty, and despicable ads against his opponents.

His dad did meet and did have a positive things to say about Alinsky.

So it’s not stretching the truth.

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 14, 2012 at 6:18 PM

drballard on February 14, 2012 at 6:09 PM

You won’t get to the Celestial Kingdom using language like that, drballard.

portlandon on February 14, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Tater Salad on February 14, 2012 at 5:52 PM

I didn’t want to believe it, but as Santorum’s demise becomes more evident as the data on him comes out, I read the desperate Romney Haters using more and more anti-Mormon bigotry rhetoric in an attempt to tear him down. I hope they aren’t going there, but honestly after watching them move from one failed candidate to the next in an unprincipled manner, it may be the only conclusion left to come to.

csdeven on February 14, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Buy this, or go to Jail”

-Governor Mitt Romney

Worse than that, Tater Salad????

portlandon on February 14, 2012 at 6:16 PM

“Join a union or you don’t get a job” – Rick Santorum

Tater Salad on February 14, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 14, 2012 at 6:12 PM

If 17% of Rs voted for Reid, they deserve the fool fully. So does their progeny. Now, Huntsman’s family supported the fool. That should tell you that religion had something to do with it.

Schadenfreude on February 14, 2012 at 6:19 PM

It’s bullsh!t like you. You can b1tch all you want about Romney’s religion. How would folks react if we started talking about catholicism like you constantly whine about mormonism? See, thats why ALL conservative should whine about people like you. You’re a leftie that is too stupid to know you’re a leftie. I couldn’t care less about magic underwear, transubstitution, snake handling, papists, or who’s Jesus is better- it’s about the rights of all Americans to take part in our great experiment. You see everything through your view of who you think is God’s favorite. Hey, howsabout you let God figure that out? Shut up and debate using salient facts

drballard on February 14, 2012 at 6:09 PM

You won’t get to the Celestial Kingdom using language like that, drballard.

portlandon on February 14, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Tater Salad on February 14, 2012 at 5:52 PM

1001 reasons why not to be for Romney.

His religion should NOT be one of them. It is one of his assets.

Schadenfreude on February 14, 2012 at 6:20 PM

“Join a union or you don’t get a job” – Rick Santorum

Tater Salad on February 14, 2012 at 6:19 PM

“Buy this or GO TO JAIL.”

-Governor Mitt Romney

You see how they are not remotely the same?

portlandon on February 14, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Tater Salad on February 14, 2012 at 6:16 PM

There’s Romney and his ‘bots, and there’s whatever NotRomney possibility of the day. It’s been the dynamic ever since even before the primaries started. Santorum may have been lucky enough to be the Last NotRomney Standing. I believe as a Mitt supporter you’d better be praying that Gingrich stays in all the way. Otherwise it could get mighty ugly for Mr Inevitable.

ddrintn on February 14, 2012 at 6:20 PM

JPeterman on February 14, 2012 at 6:13 PM

I would agree with you but nothing is taboo with Mitt and his capos. Therefore the game is on.

Schadenfreude on February 14, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Kataklysmic on February 14, 2012 at 6:17 PM

17% of Republicans voted for Reid here in NV. Not to mention that the Republican mayors of Reno, Sparks, several Republican members of the NV senate and house, even the Republican Lt. Gov all endorsed and campaigned for Reid.

Angle won independents 48%-40%.

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 14, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Tater, I don’t think the anti-Romney sentiment has anything to do with his religion. Part of the hesitation is Mitt’s own fault: his top strategists, Stevens and Ferhnstrom, care more about what the MSM thinks than what conservatives think. Reagan had the exact same problem in 1980 with John Sears.

Beyond that, Romney needs to do a better job selling his attributes in the general election. Romney is the only standing GOP candidate who:

1. can compete with Obama dollar for dollar
2. has a deep organization, ground game, grass roots support, and infrastructure necessary to unseat an incumbent president
3. like Reagan, can run AGAINST Washington DC (this is huge with independents)
4. has executive experience and no congressional record that can be distorted and picked to death
5. enjoys a positive gender gap (scores better with women than men, which terrifies Axelrod)
6. has no personal baggage or social engineering baggage, which would divert the election away from Obama’s sorry record

Unseating ANY incumbent president is serious, expensive and difficult business. If defeating Obama is your top priority and you don’t want to take a risk on a long-shot, then Romney by far offers the best risk-reward.

matthew8787 on February 14, 2012 at 6:22 PM

csdeven on February 14, 2012 at 6:19 PM

As with you I hope this isn’t the case, all of the non-Romney “conservatives” wouldn’t be considered a conservative in any other election cycle and that’s what bthers me about the anti-Romney stance.

If the so-called conservatives were honest they would be supporting Ron Paul, as he is the only candidate who is proposing to shrink the size and impact of government on our daily lives.

Tater Salad on February 14, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Obama is really getting confident in winning….now that the pesky Rs are out of the way (well, with a little help from the leftist press) he can focus on the important things….like going down to 300 nukes

of course the chi-com VP was also asking for more tech exports from us so they can upgrade their systems.

obviously with his tude toward Catholics and nukes, he’s kinda feeling his oats.

The second term is going to be ugly. If he is re-elected it will be a ratification of O.care, Keystone, 1T deficits, and everything this man stands for….Volt…everything these people stand for. They will get more aggressive, not less

r keller on February 14, 2012 at 6:24 PM

csdeven on February 14, 2012 at 6:19 PM

But the fact remains that the people of MA want Masscare and have given the state the right to implement it on them. Who are you to deny them the right to give up their right?

csdeven on December 28, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Your insanity continues….

portlandon on February 14, 2012 at 6:24 PM

It’s schadenfreudig to watch this. Mitt made Newt’s lard/blood/flesh hang out; he beat on him that badly…and now he can pray to keep him alive. Life is sure full of karma.

Schadenfreude on February 14, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Santorum supports statism at the federal level. Completely unconstitutional. Romney implemented Romneycare on the state level. Completely constitutional….federally and for the state of MA.

csdeven on February 14, 2012 at 6:25 PM

I do need to tone it down and not get over emotional.

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 14, 2012 at 6:07 PM

..I’ll betcha tin The Pantload’s campaign that’d love to have folks with your spirit and drive, Raquel. The unknown part of this calculus is that the D’s motivation sucks at present. How can you get whizzed up about Obama? He’s shedding independents at a frightful rate, he’s just pissed off the Catholics, and constantly pulls these stunts (the contraception gimmick and this recent budget) to shore up the support of the base.

If we get behind who we nominate, he’s history. Just as you might have reservations about Romney, I have reservations about Santorum. Not personally, certainly. I will work very hard if he is the nominee. But I fear what they will do with his social conservatism (“legislating stuff in the bedroom”, etc. is a really good scare tactic to bring the independents back to their side.)

But then we are both acting out of fear. John Wooden (UCLA basketball coach) said that it is better for a team to play to win than to play with the fear of losing.

Anyway, Santorum, ROmney, Gingrich, Paul..they’re all better than that dessicated dog turd.

The War Planner on February 14, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Schadenfreude on February 14, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Thanks, I let those liberals get under my skin (especially KeninCt), and I got over emotional, and I became a caricature. That is what I regret most honestly.

I had no idea they were just computer generated trolls, how do they work?

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 14, 2012 at 6:26 PM

matthew8787 on February 14, 2012 at 6:22 PM

matthew8787, for the second time in a few days let me give you props. You are one of the very few Mitt supporters I have seen make a rational case for him without tearing down another candidate or their supporters. Bonus points for rejecting the bigotry card.

Kataklysmic on February 14, 2012 at 6:26 PM

That’s after you said Bush was too Liberal for you in 2000 and 2004

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 14, 2012 at 6:15 PM

I have no idea who you are. Don’t remember reading your screenname before. I think people who vote for Santorum but can’t vote for Romney are mostly religious fanatics who don’t care for economic/fiscal issues. This is an analysis of electoral demographics; doesn’t mean to be personal. I’m honestly sorry if you were offended.

I opened the first Gary Bauer office in New Hampshire 12 years ago. I think this shows I have no problem with the so-called “Christian Right” candidates – as long as they aren’t to the left of most democrats on fiscal and economic issues, especially a few ones. I always thought Bush was way to my left on those issues – and his administration proved me right. I spent most of the past decade bashing republicans for abandoning their promises of fiscal conservatism once again – years before the Tea Party.

joana on February 14, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Angle won independents 48%-40%.

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 14, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Ouch! Now that’s one stat we haven’t heard the Palinphobes/Anglephobes/ CODphobes talk about much. I wasn’t even aware of it, if it’s true.

ddrintn on February 14, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Schadenfreude on February 14, 2012 at 6:24 PM

..drilled it from downtown. Nothing but net. Ain’t life a b!tch?

The War Planner on February 14, 2012 at 6:27 PM

csdeven, I am a strong Romney supporter and that Mitt hasn’t put this away to date is his own fault. So give Newt and Santorum their due. Romney’s idiot strategists blew SC, which was unfortunate, and then CO, which was inexcusable.

Romney will win both AZ and MI and those victories, along with Super Tuesday, will sew this thing up.

And Romney has transitioned to a better candidate with the competition. This isn’t a coronation.

Romney will have plenty of time this spring to pull everyone together.

matthew8787 on February 14, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Mitt?

If you could just, for once, exude some sense of heart felt conservatism you could survive. I voted for you in 2008 and couldn’t believe that John McCain beat you. But, he did.

That message needs to sink in. You should have spent the last 3 years surrounding yourself with a conservative message, but you did not.

We are very disappointed in you; if you were the astute business man that you purport yourself to be, you would know what you are doing. And apparently, you do not have any clue what you are doing.

Money can’t buy this election. We’re in the fight for our lives. You’re not there. You’re in the fight for your ……… whatever it is.

Key West Reader on February 14, 2012 at 6:29 PM

You see how they are not remotely the same?

portlandon on February 14, 2012 at 6:20 PM

First of all you can’t be put in jail for not buying insurance in Mass, secondly I prefer might jail to certain union bosses looking for their tribute by way of union dues.

But really you are missing the bigger point, your hatred of Romney doesn’t allow you to see your candidate of the week has as many or more warts than Romney.

Tater Salad on February 14, 2012 at 6:29 PM

portlandon on February 14, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Your penchant for the straw man argument is legendary at Hot Air. You still need to answer the question….

Who are you to deny someone the right to give up their rights?

csdeven on February 14, 2012 at 6:29 PM

His dad did meet and did have a positive things to say about Alinsky.

So it’s not stretching the truth.

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 14, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Well my dad had to attend a dinner with Mikhail Gorbachev many years ago. Feel free to use it against me.

JPeterman on February 14, 2012 at 6:29 PM

The problem is: will the conservative media – that may have a vested interest on an Obama victory as John Ziegler explains in the article linked in the headlines – allow the scrutiny of Santorum’s record on fiscal and economic issues?

Because it’s borderline bizarre to present an union stooge with a big government record on pretty much everything an any sort of “conservative alternative to Romney”.

Santorum is the moderate alternative propelled by socially conservative economic populists (pro-union anti-free trade, more welfare, medicare expansions, tax credits to some economic sectors, etc.) with Romney being the center-right alternative propelled by socially moderate bizcons.

The conservative media, which, out of either Limbaugh’s delusions or a cynical economic desire to keep the primaries going and to have Obama re-elected to preserve their job security, have largely stifled the obvious reality that Mitt Romney (prior to the developments of the past few weeks) was the only declared candidate with a legitimate chance to beat Obama.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/2012/02/thanks_to_conservative_issues_obama_now_holds_all_the_cards.html#ixzz1mObo8iwz

joana on February 14, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Ziegler? Really?

rightConcept on February 14, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Anybody ready for a Ron Paul surge by Super Tuesday?

Anyone??

MoreTeaPlease on February 14, 2012 at 6:28 PM

At least he IS a conservative and attracts voters outside of the non-Romney base of the GOP.

Tater Salad on February 14, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Who are you to deny someone the right to give up their rights?

csdeven on February 14, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Circle Logic.

Mental Gymnastics for Romney.

Keep going Csdeven. Its fun to watch you spin.

portlandon on February 14, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Anybody ready for a Ron Paul surge by Super Tuesday?

Anyone??

MoreTeaPlease on February 14, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Neh, but expect Santorum to partner with Paul and Gingrich. Both men have really good messages to send to America.

Key West Reader on February 14, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Angle won independents 48%-40%.

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 14, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Those numbers aren’t correct.

Reid got the vote of 11% of the republicans, not 17%.

Angle won independents 48%-44%, not 40% (a very poor showing for a midterm in Nevada – a generic R candidate would have trucidated Reid amongst Indies).

joana on February 14, 2012 at 6:32 PM

joana on February 14, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Sarah Palin and her family, including her parents have been in unions their entire careers.

Refute that fact and report back, at your convenience.

/Which will be never.

Key West Reader on February 14, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Tater Salad on February 14, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Still here. As is Newt.

riddick on February 14, 2012 at 6:33 PM

So long as government knows to clear the way, the rest will become history.

Speakup on February 14, 2012 at 6:34 PM

JPeterman on February 14, 2012 at 6:29 PM

I won’t, becaue a discerning person knows the difference between freely attending anything, and having to, under communism :)

Schadenfreude on February 14, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Honestly! You people! Three pages of comments, and no one posts a link to the great Cars song featuring the late Ben Orr.

bofh on February 14, 2012 at 6:36 PM

The War Planner on February 14, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Great one, fully agreed. Which one is Mitt playing?

That’s the problem, right there.

Schadenfreude on February 14, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Way O/T…but I’m excited…Guess what, y’all? The Senate Republicans are following me on Twitter! How about that.

kingsjester on February 14, 2012 at 6:38 PM

This is why senators rarely win the presidency. Cherry picking votes to bash. Santorum has a career ACU rating of 88% in 16 years. That rating is in a bluish purple state. The only senators in office who were in the Senate the last time Santorum was that were in as tough a state to win were Gordon Smith in Oregon, Lincoln Chafee in Rhode Island, Arlen Specter in Pennsylvania and the Maine twins. Here are their career ACU ratings when Santorum left office….

Santorum—-88.1
Smith——-74.5
Collins—–53.9
Snowe——-49.9
Spector—–44.7
Chafee——34.7

Its easy to get a 90 rating in Alabama or Oklahoma or Idaho. Its tough in a bluish state like Pennsylvania and get re-elected. But Santorum did. Santorum is not perfect, but its not like he is a squish either.

STOP NIT PICKING! Imagine what Romney’s rating would have been and his record would have been if he was forced to take a stand on EVERY issue of the day for 16 years.

Here is the ACU link….http://www.conservative.org/ratings/ratingsarchive/2006/2006senate.htm

KMav on February 14, 2012 at 6:39 PM

kingsjester on February 14, 2012 at 6:38 PM

…and here we thought they had only bad tastes :)

Schadenfreude on February 14, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Anybody ready for a Ron Paul surge by Super Tuesday?

Anyone??

MoreTeaPlease on February 14, 2012 at 6:28 PM

The silence is deafneing.

katy the mean old lady on February 14, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Who are you to deny someone the right to give up their rights?

csdeven on February 14, 2012 at 6:29 PM

People do not give up their rights. RomneyCare was not voted on by the public. And your twisted logic in order to defend Romney at every turn is one more reason you are the laughing stock at HotAir.

portlandon on February 14, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Anybody ready for a Ron Paul surge by Super Tuesday?

Anyone??

MoreTeaPlease on February 14, 2012 at 6:28 PM

The silence is deafneing.

katy the mean old lady on February 14, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Is there going to be a run on tin foil at Walmart?

kingsjester on February 14, 2012 at 6:43 PM

The War Planner on February 14, 2012 at 6:25 PM

I couldn’t vote in 2000 (underage), but if I could I would have most likely voted for Bush. My dad liked Steve Forbes early on in the Republican nomination that year and in 1996 IIRC.

In 2004, my first vote was for Bush, in 2008, Romney in the primary and McCain. In 2008, I was in denial about Obama getting the nomination and winning, but he did. I was really upset at McCain for not fighting. I was so disgusted with the Republican party and McCain. But now, the closer we get the more anxious I get. We can’t afford to give Obama 4 more yrs, he would destroy the country and the SCOTUS. (Scalia is 76, Kennedy is also in his 70s). You’re right I don’t have much faith in Romney, but I would hold my nose and vote for him. The only person I would not vote for under any circumstances is Paul.

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 14, 2012 at 6:45 PM

angryed on February 14, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Envious much? The heart of the liberal mentality is petty jealousy.

V7_Sport on February 14, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Those numbers aren’t correct.

Reid got the vote of 11% of the republicans, not 17%.

joana on February 14, 2012 at 6:32 PM

The numbers are from the Nevada SOS.

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 14, 2012 at 6:46 PM

joana on February 14, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Refute that fact and report back, at your convenience.

/Which will be never.

Key West Reader on February 14, 2012 at 6:33 PM

I know that fact. Why exactly would I refute it? I have no idea what’s the point you’re trying to make. I mean, Sarah Palin? Did I mention her? Are you sure you wanted to reply to me?

joana on February 14, 2012 at 6:48 PM

So in other words, Romney is going to make the case for Ron Paul! The only limited government candidate in the race.

abobo on February 14, 2012 at 4:54 PM

I wouldn’t bring up Ron Paul’s name in the same statement with the word “earmarks” if I were his supporter…

Archivarix on February 14, 2012 at 6:49 PM