Muslim Brotherhood: You’d best keep the aid money coming if you want that treaty with Israel intact

posted at 10:32 pm on February 14, 2012 by Allahpundit

Regimes come and go but the bribes remain the same.

US aid to Egypt is guaranteed by the Camp David Accords and stopping it would be a violation of that treaty, a high-ranking Muslim Brotherhood lawmaker said Sunday.

Essam El-Erian, who also serves as chairman of the Egyptian parliament’s foreign affairs committee, said that should aid from Washington be cut, the Brotherhood would consider changing the terms of Egypt’s 1979 peace treaty with Israel.

Congress has already approved $.1.3 in military aid and $250 million in civilian aid for the current fiscal year. That assistance, however, is conditioned upon Egypt meeting all of its obligations under its peace treaty with Israel. That factor that may help explain the unpopularity of US aid – the treaty is widely unpopular in Egypt, and many see the conditions on US aid as an infringement on the country’s sovereignty.

Obama’s catastrophic new budget calls for maintaining the full $1.3 billion in military aid to Egypt next year along with $800 million in bribes — er, I mean, aid — for the rest of the Arab Spring. I’m curious what the Brotherhood’s game is here considering that poll from last week showing 71 percent of Egyptians oppose further U.S. foreign aid to the country. With numbers like that, you would think they’d call for rejecting the money outright, especially when they have the newly ascendant Salafists looking for a parliamentary majority and ready to demagogue them if they accept it. Is it simply a case of the MB signaling to the State Department that it’s willing to be bought off from war with Israel if the price is right? Or is it a subtler move in which the MB expects Congress to cut the aid and wants to use that as a pretext for canceling the Camp David accords? An expert on Egypt at the Naval Postgraduate School told the Christian Science Monitor a few days ago that the Egyptian military junta is now so fantastically unpopular inside the country that they might try to get the aid canceled in hopes of endearing themselves to the America-hating public. Quote:

“They’re trying to provoke [the severing of US aid],” says Robert Springborg, an expert on the Egyptian military at the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, Calif. “Because they’re desperate and they want to present themselves as popular defenders of the nation. So what better way to do it?”

Furthermore, he argues, “It wouldn’t mean a thing” to Egypt’s military were the aid to stop. “A great bulk of that has gone into the procurement of weapons systems that have not been used, are not likely to be used, and that [Egyptian forces] haven’t been properly trained on.”…

Springborg says Egypt does not properly maintain many of the M1A1 Abrams tanks, does not have all of them in service, and does not regularly train servicemen on them. The F-16s, he says, are “dumbed-down” versions that are “not effective fighting planes.”

That might explain that slo-mo clusterfark over the 19 American NGO workers who were arrested. Could be that the military wanted to pick a fight with the U.S. even if it meant their money being cut, and the Brotherhood seized on it as grounds for dumping the treaty if America followed through. As one Israeli analyst said, “Many suspect a power struggle between the Supreme Military Council and the Muslim Brotherhood; a struggle in which the officers try to show the ‘brothers’ their strength by standing firm against the great and powerful America.” Framing the issue as money = treaty helps the Brotherhood in that power struggle too by making the military leadership ultimately responsible for the much-hated peace with Israel. If not for those dirty American dollars that the shifty generals keep taking, Egypt could once again be the Jew-hating vanguard that it was 45 years ago.

Meanwhile, John McCain is apparently optimistic about relations with the new Egyptian parliament going forward. If memory serves, he was optimistic about the new Libyan government too. How’s that working out?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

No, I got the hilarious Ahmet joke, but I don’t know what “Doc Savage’s raid show” means?

cynccook on February 14, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Sorry, Michael Savages radio show.

Igor R. on February 14, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Sorry, Michael Savages radio show.

Igor R. on February 14, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Ahhh. I think I’ve heard of him. I’ve never listened to it, though. You are fully immersed in this stuff, aren’t you? Do you have a blog of your own somewhere? Are you a Twitterere?

cynccook on February 14, 2012 at 11:41 PM

cynccook on February 14, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Nope, keeping quiet as a church mouse…

Igor R. on February 14, 2012 at 11:43 PM

How much pyramid smothering wax would that buy?

American diplomatic action with Algeria, the other major Barbary Coast state, was much less successful than with Morocco. Algeria began piracy against the U.S. on July 25, 1785 with the capture of the schooner Maria and the Dauphin a week later.[5] All four Barbary Coast states demanded a sum of $660,000 compared to the limited allocated budget of $40,000 given to the envoys to achieve peace.[6] Diplomatic talks to achieve a reasonable sum for tribute or for the ransom of the captured sailors struggled to reach any headway. The crews of the Maria and Dauphin remained in captivity for over a decade, and soon were joined by other ships captured by the Barbary States.[7] In 1795, Algeria came to an agreement with the U.S. that resulted in the release of 115 sailors they held, at the cost of over $1 million. This amount totaled about 1⁄6 of the entire U.S. budget,[8] and this amount was demanded as tribute by the Barbary States to prevent further piracy. The continuing demand for tribute ultimately led to the formation of the United States Department of the Navy, founded in 1798[9] in order to prevent further piracy attacks upon American shipping as well as to end the extremely large demand for tribute from the Barbary States.

And you think Komen had a tough time with Big Abortion?

BL@KBIRD on February 14, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Nope, keeping quiet as a church mouse…

Igor R. on February 14, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Why do I have a hard time believing that? Hmmmm…

cynccook on February 14, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Surprising how little has changed in 212 years.

slickwillie2001 on February 14, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Why do I have a hard time believing that? Hmmmm…

cynccook on February 14, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Hm…no idea?

Igor R. on February 14, 2012 at 11:51 PM

The beards are drowning.

This means precisely nothing in real terms.

CorporatePiggy on February 14, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Hm…no idea?

Igor R. on February 14, 2012 at 11:51 PM

You seem to have a lot to say and up until the last two months you certainly weren’t saying it here. Did you usually just rant to Puss-Puss? Happy V-Day, btw. Did you get P-P a little heart-shaped anchovy or anything?

cynccook on February 14, 2012 at 11:53 PM

cynccook on February 14, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Happy VD too!

I know people besides P-P, of which she isn’t even one. You think I’m a hermit in a cave?

Igor R. on February 14, 2012 at 11:55 PM

I have bad news for our friends in Egypt.. Here in Israel we maintain our tanks and F-16s. Abdicating the treaty will cost them a lot more than 1.3 billion dollars. It will cost them an entire generation.

saus on February 15, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Happy VD too!

Igor R. on February 14, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Um. No, no of course I didn’t think that. Why, I figured that…Okay, yes. You got me. I did actually think that you were a hermit living in a cave. With Puss-Puss as the only living creature you ever saw. I figured that your hermit cave was just close enough to a Starbucks for you to glom onto their wi-fi. I’m sorry if I made hurtful presumptions.

cynccook on February 15, 2012 at 12:01 AM

saus on February 15, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Sounds promising!

Igor R. on February 15, 2012 at 12:02 AM

cynccook on February 15, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Hurtful? Only to P-P, if she understood anything!

Igor R. on February 15, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Hurtful? Only to P-P, if she understood anything!

Igor R. on February 15, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Truthfully, I wondered if you were a day trader who worked from home or something. Also, why would that be hurtful to P-P? She should be honored to be a human’s only companion. Or something.

cynccook on February 15, 2012 at 12:06 AM

cynccook on February 15, 2012 at 12:06 AM

I’m a night trader who works from…I don’t know, what’s the opposite of home? And P-P and I don’t get along other than she needs me for food and to let her out.

Igor R. on February 15, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Igor R. on February 15, 2012 at 12:11 AM

You’re not supposed to let them out. That is strictly verboten by all the rescue organizations. So did you take your wife out for dinner?

cynccook on February 15, 2012 at 12:15 AM

cynccook on February 15, 2012 at 12:15 AM

She is an outside cat as she begged for years to be let out. And as you know, we don’t discuss specific personal facts, do we?

Igor R. on February 15, 2012 at 12:18 AM

And as you know, we don’t discuss specific personal facts, do we?

Igor R. on February 15, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Yes, but now we’re friends, so we decided that we would, remember? Besides, how can something that inconsequential in any way compromise your anonymity? You’ve already told me that you had during that stint you did in the big house.

cynccook on February 15, 2012 at 12:25 AM

cynccook on February 15, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Oh, that’s my prison wife, “she” is history now that I’m finally out on parole.

Igor R. on February 15, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Oh, that’s my prison wife, “she” is history now that I’m finally out on parole.

Igor R. on February 15, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Of course it’s only a matter of time until you re-offend, I suppose. Did you take your outside wife out, then? :-D

cynccook on February 15, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Goodbye!

dmann on February 14, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Go pound sand fool.

Uppereastside on February 15, 2012 at 12:34 AM

saus on February 15, 2012 at 12:01 AM

You just turned me into an optimist!

Eren on February 15, 2012 at 12:34 AM

No but I have to go. Good night!

Igor R. on February 15, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Ransom.

Declaration of war.

VorDaj on February 15, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Nineteen people being held in Egypt, just how much like Jimmah Carter does The Won want to be?

Cindy Munford on February 14, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Remember how ‘NIGHTLINE’ was born…and now ‘crickets’
My, how the major media has changed!

KOOLAID2 on February 15, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Ransom.

Declaration of war.
VorDaj on February 15, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Well, sure . . . with any other President . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

listens2glenn on February 15, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Whenever McVain gets optimistic, watch out, it’s always bad news in a serious way. To wit, “we shouldn’t fear Oboobi”. If that old fool had any decency he would have resigned in ’10 for allowing Oboobi to destroy us as he has.

AH_C on February 15, 2012 at 1:20 AM

The Israeli’s defeated the Egyptians in 1948, 1956, 1967, and 1973. If the Egyptians are feeling froggy, let them jump and see what happens.

TulsAmerican on February 15, 2012 at 1:26 AM

It doesn’t matter what we do; they’ll never keep their word in the end as long as it’s the MB calling the shots. They will do whatever is expedient for them, then find some bullshiut reason to blame it on us.

hillbillyjim on February 15, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Man this is so easy! Right now, they’re basically running their mouth and possibly hosting terror cells in their country without actually going to war with Israel. So… the solution is to reduce the aid to the extent that they’re not playing ball. If we estimate that they’re 80 percent playing ball then reduce the aid by 20 percent and make it clear that if they play ball less or keep running their mouth that will be reduced further.

If they cooperate entirely then 100 percent of the money is cheap.

There you go Muslim brotherhood. Your move. Quid pro quo.

Hell, I’d even be happy to give them more money if they cooperated enough to deserve it. THe aid money is cheap compared to waging war or half the aggressive actions we take over there. If they can save us hundreds of billions then I’m happy to give them a few billion for the service.

But if they’re going to act like badly then we shouldn’t reward that by paying them. Let the state department and the pentagon increase and decrease the aid money in real time in direct relation to their cooperation.

Maybe disperse it on a monthly or weekly basis. Increase or decrease it based on their behavior. If they reject all that and decide to completely go crazy then cut it off entirely and make a point of trying to ruin them financially beyond that. I don’t know how the egyptian economy works… my understanding is that it doesn’t… but however they make money we shouldn’t stop at cutting aid money if they decide to go hostile. Maybe we just need to keep places chaotic until randomly a sane government rises from the ashes? In any case, playing quid pro quo with the clerics seems to be our best move.

Karmashock on February 15, 2012 at 1:39 AM

saus on February 15, 2012 at 12:01 AM

You just turned me into an optimist!

Eren on February 15, 2012 at 12:34 AM

If our leadership had shown one tenth of the balls that Israel has exhibited over the years, the world wouldn’t be in such a muddled condition.

hillbillyjim on February 15, 2012 at 1:44 AM

saus on February 15, 2012 at 12:01 AM

The Merkava’s one amazing machine, too. The only thing on tracks I’d bet on to give one of our MBTs a bad day. One of theirs? With their crews? I’d probably bet on a LeClerc…

PXCharon on February 15, 2012 at 2:01 AM

dunce on February 15, 2012 at 2:10 AM

this thread reeks. someone open a window let the stench of bigotry out.

freshface on February 14, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Really? You invited yourself in. Tell ya what its a little chilly out how about you close the window. Oh, and don’t let the door hit ya in the arse on your way out. Oh, and get the heII off the lawn!

Bmore on February 15, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Team Obama OWNS the responsibility for Muslim Brotherhood now. They were foolish and got played badly.

A quote from the Carter years keeps going thru my head….

“What are you guys going to advise me to do if they overrun our embassy and take our people hostage?” Carter asked his aides during a foreign policy breakfast on Oct. 19, 1979. No one answered. “On that day,” Carter went on, “we will all sit here with long drawn white faces and realize we’ve been had.”

Oh look, we even have HOSTAGES too. Funny how the MSM is ignoring this fact. Ray LaHood’s son is one of them. Barry sure looks weak… Almost as weak as Jimmy did so many years ago.

Major_Skidmark on February 15, 2012 at 3:08 AM

I suppose that next month we will learn that the Egyptians are going to build nuclear power plants for peaceful purposes. The Middle East is an insane asylum. It is where WWIII will be fought.

SC.Charlie on February 15, 2012 at 3:08 AM

It is not ransom, it is the koran directed dhimmi tax called jizya that nonbelievers must pay to be tolerated. Pay or die, death to infidels. – dunce on February 15, 2012 at 2:10 AM

The Arab Spring has given rise to Arab Muslim tyranny. Christians and true liberal thinkers who want a tolerate society in Egypt are living in fear of their lives. I have always wanted to go to Egypt to see the sights. It is off my list of travel destinations. Egypt depends on tourism to fuel its economy. The Muslim Brotherhood is going to destroy this industry and Egypt will fall into further squalor.

SC.Charlie on February 15, 2012 at 4:24 AM

At least the bribes are way smaller than for Afghanistan.

VorDaj on February 15, 2012 at 5:00 AM

At least the bribes are way smaller than for Afghanistan. – VorDaj on February 15, 2012 at 5:00 AM

That is supposed to be comfort? The entire Middle East reminds me somewhat of Fascist Europe. The region is ruled by thugs who have no concept of human rights.

SC.Charlie on February 15, 2012 at 5:18 AM

Foreign aid is a helluva drug.

Notorious GOP on February 15, 2012 at 5:44 AM

Said treaty being worth less than the papyrus it’s written on, this would be the spot for the Israelites to come out and put President “I stand with the Muslims” on the spot. “Let my people go from the Jimmy Carter legacy” they might say. “Turn us loose and we’ll handle the MusBros.”

curved space on February 15, 2012 at 6:59 AM

Ransom?

Or maybe

Jizya?

Mike OMalley on February 15, 2012 at 7:01 AM

“El-Erian told the London-based newspaper Al-Hayat that the US needs to understand that “what was acceptable before the revolution is no longer,” and that should the aid provisions outlined in the treaty be modified, it could open the door to further changes in the agreement…”

He’s right. Things are not the same since Slappy chased Mubarek from power.
But conversely, that also means that any agreement made with an ALLY, a cooperative regíme that no longer exists, is ALSO DOA.

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on February 15, 2012 at 7:06 AM

In a non-Obama world, our President would not only cut off all aid to Egypt, he’d station a carrier group just offshore of Egypt AND “loan” a whole lot of “kill ya, ya bastahd” equipment (missiles, tanks, etc.) in Israel.

But hey, it looks like the U.S. is going to be buying bomb vests for the Brothers instead.

{*facepalm*)

ProfShadow on February 15, 2012 at 7:31 AM

Who is a BIGGER DISASTER?…..Obama or McCain?

Uggghhhhh……He would have been a horrible President.

PappyD61 on February 15, 2012 at 7:34 AM

Great, the thugs got elected to power in Egypt.

SC.Charlie on February 15, 2012 at 7:59 AM

And as you know, we don’t discuss specific personal facts, do we?
Igor R. on February 15, 2012 at 12:18 AM
cynccook on February 15, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Cyncook must be some muzzo lover or is benefitted somehow by the highjacking of our money to aid ( riiiiight ) the next dooshbag stronghold for muzzos

If muzzos are so destined to rule the world, why do they need US money

We really should get back to colonial thinking and kill the vermin there and restore the land to a decent value

The muzzos can’t and their squalid creep ruins all that is adjacent to it

Sonosam on February 15, 2012 at 8:04 AM

The proper response to this shake down is two words. First word begins with “F”, ends with “K”. Second word is “you”.

libertarianlunatic on February 15, 2012 at 8:05 AM

libertarianlunatic on February 15, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Funk you? :)

DStreete on February 15, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Isn’t this called “protection” money???…

PatriotRider on February 15, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Where’s Thomas Jefferson when you need him?

Badger40 on February 15, 2012 at 8:31 AM

As an Israeli, I definitely wouldn’t mind screwing Camp David Accords up Egypt’s arse. They don’t need American money (that is mostly spent protecting Israel from the money given to Egypt), and we could have Sinai Peninsula back. The used to be some pretty good resorts out there.

Archivarix on February 15, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Why support a representative government in Egypt?

There must be someone in the Egyptian Military that can take over as acting dictator. That’s all the Muslim Brotherhood have in mind for Egypt once they take over they are going to lock down Egypt and it’s going to be hell to pay.

If we are going to pick our poison. I say we go with a Military dictatorship, and not a Terrorist dictatorship. It’s our aid money that supports the Egyptian military we should cut out the middle man the Muslim Brotherhood deserves to be at the mercy of the Egyptian military. We just need a strong man volunteer, that makes the trains and buses run on time.

Dr Evil on February 15, 2012 at 8:50 AM

The by-line says “ransom”. Is this ransom, or is it blackmail?

dczombie on February 15, 2012 at 8:50 AM

I just got on and I have to say that the exchange between cynccook and Igor R was kind of creepy to read.

piglet on February 15, 2012 at 9:12 AM

At least the bribes are way smaller than for Afghanistan.

VorDaj on February 15, 2012 at 5:00 AM

“We all live in the protection of certain cowardices which we call our principles.”

Mark Twain

hawkdriver on February 15, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Dr Evil on February 15, 2012 at 8:50 AM

You can, at least in theory, pay Jizya to a Caliph. But it doesn’t make any sense to pay blood money to a random collection of Mullahs. Everytime one gets knocked off and a new one takes his place, he’s starting with empty pockets and a mosque full of hungry Jihadists.

logis on February 15, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Let the effen muzzos see what it truly is like living in squalor

not a dime from us and watch their Neanderthal limitations see how far it carries them

it will be fun watching the growing pestilence devour them unless maybe dome muzzo country forks over dough

why don’t muzzo countries take care of their own?

Because they are trying to bleed us to death and with the help of our POS current CinC muzzo they certainly won’t stop anytime soon

Sonosam on February 15, 2012 at 9:45 AM

The Egyptian street hates Israel and America.
Forget about all the Egyptian talking heads that speak good enough English that CNN puts them on the air and they can be all diplomatic to their American audience.

The Arab street is anti-America and anti-Israel, and the only reason the last few decades there has been stability in Egypt and relatively friendly relations is because of the unpopular regime that forced the peace and US dollars down the Egyptian public’s throats. In fact this was a huge talking point for the MB against the regime, that it was “American lackey”, and it was so easily bought.

Mubarak’s reputation in the Middle East was a money hungry Zionist (both terms used to the maximum derogatory value) who sells out his and his peoples’ pride and honour, and “the biggest Arab cause” for a few dollars.

By now Americans might understand just a bit, after 10 years involvement with Muslims and Arabs that pride plays such a big role in their decision making. The Arabs of Egypt and their MB leadership would gladly get rid of US aid for better or worse. It’s a matter of pride.

AlexB on February 15, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Let the effen muzzos see what it truly is like living in squalor

Sonosam on February 15, 2012 at 9:45 AM

That won’t work. The populace will interpret this as sanctions through which America is trying to starve and strong-arm the Egyptian people into yielding. This won’t buy America any influence, and at best it won’t make them any friends. At worst, Egypt will align itself with US’s enemies.

AlexB on February 15, 2012 at 10:28 AM

AlexB on February 15, 2012 at 10:28 AM

they already are aligned against us, but left to their own devices they will self immolate which I will go buy popcorn and enjoy the show

Let them get bread elsewhere

Sonosam on February 15, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Let them get bread elsewhere

Sonosam on February 15, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Yep.

hawkdriver on February 15, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I would make the brotherhood come to this country to pick up their dough at a pig turd farm!

texasgoat on February 15, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Wait till they are starving to death and send them hotdogs

Sonosam on February 15, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Let them get bread elsewhere

Sonosam on February 15, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Right now they’re just agitating and being populist rather than being fully hostile like Iran and Saddam’s Iraq.

Once the aid is removed, here are 2 scenarios that may unfold:
1) The new Egyptian state will survive without American aid. US no longer has any influence there, and will have made an enemy for “trying to starve Egypt into submission”, as the removal of aid will be portrayed as.

2) The new Egyptian state cannot survive without American aid. Starvation unfolds like in Somalia. Egypt becomes a failed state. The government, if there would be one, would be unable to cooperate with the US even if it wanted to. Al-Qaeda groups and Iranian/Hizballah agents penetrate Egypt and make things much more difficult for the US.

In either case the good feeling of “we showed THEM” that folks like you would have by withdrawing blackmail money would last for exactly 15 minutes. Then it’ll turn out that cutting off your nose to spite your face was worse than the other miserable alternatives.

AlexB on February 15, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Why’s that

it might cost us face over there? Not too worried about that

since egypts success means more to Europe I say they should invade it, kill the Muslim brotherhood or any other radical that shows it’s face and give the few who have brains live in a western civilized world circa the fifties

we have ceded ground to barbarians for too long. Either way it’s rediculous that the US bleeds money to so many azzholes globally and equally amazing that this capitalist economy could support it for so long

despite ginsburgs opinion lots of places vould benefit from our form of government, albeit one from a few decades ago

Sonosam on February 15, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Gosh, this situation sounds somewhatfamiliar. Millions for defense but not one cent for tribute!

Buy Danish on February 15, 2012 at 5:05 PM

We should not be cutting off their Foreign AID Money because they are not doing this or that. We should cut it off because we do not have the money to gie anymore period. We are borrowing $ from China to give to Egypt and Lord knows who else (countries that truly despise us).

If you borrowed money to give to someone else because you could not afford it you would be a fool. But here we need to keep doing it or we will lose infuence. At nearly 15 Trillion in Debt this will lead to our demise.

Natebo on February 15, 2012 at 5:41 PM