Samuel L. Jackson: I voted for Barack because he’s black

posted at 12:45 pm on February 13, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Now I get it: Samuel L. Jackson assumes the Tea Party opposes Barack Obama because of his race because he also assumes Barack Obama’s fans support him because of his race. At least, he knows he did.

“I voted for Barack because he was black,” the actor said candidly to Ebony magazine. “That’s why other folks vote for other people — because they look like them. That’s American politics, pure and simple. [Obama's] message didn’t mean sh*t to me.”

The actor said plenty more that’s controversial, but I flat-out don’t have the stomach to republish it here. Check out the choicer bits at this Politico link, at which Caitlin McDevitt mercifully bleeped out Jackson’s incessant cussing.

For now, suffice it to say I agree with at least one Ebony magazine writer on this: Jackson’s comments invite separatism and make light of an amazing accomplishment. While I couldn’t disagree with the president’s ideas more, I’m perfectly willing to concede that his election represented either (a) an actual triumph of progressivism or (b) the triumph of his superior campaign skills, which enabled him to package a progressive agenda in vague rhetoric that captured the hearts and minds of many Americans.

Jackson’s comments also force me to concede, though, that, mixed into the triumph of progressivism and/or superior campaign management, was a boost from flat-out and unabashed identity politics. It frightens me to think he might be right that he’s not the only person to vote for a candidate based on appearance alone. To anybody who doesn’t bother to research the issues and votes based on looks: Stop it!

Still, I refuse to agree with Jackson that American politics “pure and simple” boil down to voters’ desire to see their personal doppelgänger in the White House. Those of us who are paying attention and actually care about the future of this country desire a like-minded leader, sure, but we couldn’t care less what he or she looks like.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Samuel L. Jackson: I voted for Barack because he’s black

Somehow I think the Libtard aspect alone would have been enough for him.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 13, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Samuel L. Jackson: I voted for Barack because he’s black

…thus exposing himself as both a racist and an idiot!!!

landlines on February 13, 2012 at 8:30 PM

I will be voting for the candidate because he is white.

The Notorious G.O.P on February 13, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Samuel L. Jackson: “I voted for Barack because he’s black”

So did far too many white people! And all for the wrong reasons!

GFW on February 13, 2012 at 9:11 PM

…thus exposing himself as both a racist and an idiot!!!

landlines on February 13, 2012 at 8:30 PM

That wasn’t racist. It isn’t even in the same universe as racism.

Dante on February 13, 2012 at 9:12 PM

This is right up there with Marisa Tomei saying she voted for Bill Clinton because he’s “sooooo cute!”

I wish some people didn’t bother voting.

dukecitygirl on February 13, 2012 at 9:15 PM

That’s why other folks vote for other people — because they look like them.

Not only is Jackson an imbecile, but he’s a liar at that. In the first place if other folks voted only for folks that look like them, then Obama wouldn’t have been elected. But that isn’t the reason that Jackson voted for Obama… Jackson voted for Obama, because he’s a Democrat, pure and simple. If there had been black Republican in the race, he would have voted against him, for the whitest Democrat available.

ghostwriter on February 13, 2012 at 9:54 PM

I wish some people didn’t bother voting.

dukecitygirl on February 13, 2012 at 9:15 PM

spot on!

ghostwriter on February 13, 2012 at 9:55 PM

I’m not shocked by this. I always assumed that the vast majority of blacks would vote for Obama. It’s sort of like Kennedy, if you were an Irish Catholic and you didn’t vote for Kennedy, in 1960, it would have been sacriledge.

I’ll bet he gets less black votes this time around. Not necessarily a lower percentage, but turn-out isn’t going to be the same. There are many people who have been screwed by his presidency, and many of them are black and they know it.

bflat879 on February 13, 2012 at 10:02 PM

bflat879 on February 13, 2012 at 10:02 PM

I’m not surpised about it either. However, the creep managed to make it sound sordid and racist–probably because he wishes it was racist.

ghostwriter on February 13, 2012 at 10:08 PM

He’s not black. To assume he is just because of the color of his skin is racist in and of itself. He’s mulatto: white mother, black father. The end.

HAnthonyWayne on February 13, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Asurea on February 13, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Huh. Guess I can’t post links yet. Ah, well.

Asurea on February 13, 2012 at 10:43 PM

It’s straight identity politics. It always was except for dummies. (I was one of the dummies.) Samuel L. Jackson just told the truth.

David Blue on February 13, 2012 at 10:44 PM

So once again we have a minority engaged in racism while decrying racism from others.

/… and yes Dante, it is racism. The man made the statement that he voted solely based upon the candidates race. You can’t make the claim that such a statement exhibits anything but racism.

AZfederalist on February 13, 2012 at 10:54 PM

The Hollywood intellect, pure and simple.

jaime on February 13, 2012 at 11:13 PM

David Blue on February 13, 2012 at 10:44 PM

If Jackson told the truth, then why did black folks in MD vote against a right-of-center black man (Michael Steele) for the Senate in 2006? Steele could have won if they had given him maybe 35 percent of their vote; instead, they gave their vote to an unremarkable, white machine politician…

ghostwriter on February 13, 2012 at 11:49 PM

First of all, Moron,
He’s only HALF-BLACK.

Second, if you only voted for him because he’s black (see above),
then that must also mean you voted against John McCain because he’s white.

Bruce Willis was right.

You are a racist.

Stick with making movies.

I might one day sit through one.

Tenwheeler on February 13, 2012 at 11:51 PM

bflat879 on February 13, 2012 at 10:02 PM

The First Black President was sold as Jackie Robinson.

We got an error-prone .073 hitter.

Back to AA ball.

Odie1941 on February 14, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Um, why admit that? The third option, greatly supported by evidence now and then, is simply that a significant number of people voted for Obama precisely for the same reason Jackson did – no more, no less.

No need to try to dress it up with something more noble – simple evidence will suffice, thanks.

Midas on February 14, 2012 at 12:21 AM

How is Jackson’s admission any more shocking than Repubicans expecting “Latinos” to vote for the GOP if Marco Rubio is on the ticket- or the “the Woman Vote” being turned off by Gingrich.

It’s all of a piece with the new Race/Gender/Identity political paradigm that the GOP is increasingly signing on to.

sartana on February 14, 2012 at 1:24 AM

sartana on February 14, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Modern times, branding. Get use to it, the way of the future.

Bmore on February 14, 2012 at 2:40 AM

He admits he is a racist. Where’s the outrage?…MLK would be soooooo proud, not…

Gohawgs on February 14, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Tenwheeler on February 13, 2012 at 11:51 PM

I am not sure it’s a great idea to point out that Obama is half-black–people who voted for him because of his “blackness” will then have the excuse to vote for someone who is “more black” because Obama was not “black enough.” Let these people have their black president, and own him and his results.

DrMagnolias on February 14, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Modern times, branding. Get use to it, the way of the future.

Bmore on February 14, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Okay then- right back at you:

Obamacare, it’s the law. Get used to it, it’s how it’s going to be.

Why bother to resist, when it’s all so damn inevitable?

sartana on February 14, 2012 at 4:33 AM

I don’t watch your movies because you are black.

Wade on February 14, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Jackson’s comments also force me to concede, though, that, mixed into the triumph of progressivism and/or superior campaign management, was a boost from flat-out and unabashed identity politics racism.

heartbroken on February 14, 2012 at 9:57 AM

That wasn’t racist. It isn’t even in the same universe as racism.

Dante on February 13, 2012 at 9:12 PM

of course it was racism. he said he voted for a man bc of the “color of his skin, not the content of his character.”

[Vizzini has just cut the rope The Dread Pirate Roberts is climbing up]
Vizzini: HE DIDN’T FALL? INCONCEIVABLE.
Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Dr. Demento on February 14, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Hey, Zeus! You’re wrong! Most of America is nowhere near as racist as you. Let’s go to the chalkboard…

Far less than 50% of U.S. citizens are of African American descent. Yet the guy for whom you voted solely because you share skin color received 52% of the popular vote. Now, I’m quite certain that many folks who are not black voted for him because he is black, out of either an ignorant sense of self-loathing, backwards-projected racial guilt, or the grandest reason of all, to finally end the question of when we’ll have a President who isn’t an old white guy. However, I think that is still a fairly small portion of the populace who pulled the “D” lever in 2008. And as much as I disagree with left-wing ideology, I’m happier as an American to think that most who voted for him did so in opposition to Republican ideology. That, at least, is a genuine position to hold as a U.S. citizen.

If, however, most of those voters decided as you did, then Dr. King lived and died in vain, for you have quite thoroughly trod upon his dream, and have looked at the color of a man’s skin, and ignored the content of his character.

Freelancer on February 14, 2012 at 12:08 PM

That wasn’t racist. It isn’t even in the same universe as racism.

Dante on February 13, 2012 at 9:12 PM

So let’s see if I properly understand libtard logic:
If you vote FOR a black Democrat because he’s black it’s NOT racism.
If you vote AGAINST a black Democrat because he’s black it IS racism.
If you vote FOR a white person (of any party?) because he’s white it IS racism.
If you vote FOR a black Republican because he’s a Republican it IS racism.
If you vote AGAINST a black Republican because he’s a Republican (and therefore an Uncle Tom) it’s NOT racism.

Does that about sum it up?

dentarthurdent on February 14, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Now I need to figure out whether I’m racist if I vote FOR an Asian or Latino Republican…..

dentarthurdent on February 14, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Black racism and white guilt got someone this unqualified and corrupt into the White House. He has never had a private sector job and now he is destroying what he can’t comprehend. Like the Czech Prime Minister said,”the United States may survive 4 years of a fool like Obama, but can they survive the fools that voted for him.”

volsense on February 14, 2012 at 6:34 PM