Samuel L. Jackson: I voted for Barack because he’s black

posted at 12:45 pm on February 13, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Now I get it: Samuel L. Jackson assumes the Tea Party opposes Barack Obama because of his race because he also assumes Barack Obama’s fans support him because of his race. At least, he knows he did.

“I voted for Barack because he was black,” the actor said candidly to Ebony magazine. “That’s why other folks vote for other people — because they look like them. That’s American politics, pure and simple. [Obama's] message didn’t mean sh*t to me.”

The actor said plenty more that’s controversial, but I flat-out don’t have the stomach to republish it here. Check out the choicer bits at this Politico link, at which Caitlin McDevitt mercifully bleeped out Jackson’s incessant cussing.

For now, suffice it to say I agree with at least one Ebony magazine writer on this: Jackson’s comments invite separatism and make light of an amazing accomplishment. While I couldn’t disagree with the president’s ideas more, I’m perfectly willing to concede that his election represented either (a) an actual triumph of progressivism or (b) the triumph of his superior campaign skills, which enabled him to package a progressive agenda in vague rhetoric that captured the hearts and minds of many Americans.

Jackson’s comments also force me to concede, though, that, mixed into the triumph of progressivism and/or superior campaign management, was a boost from flat-out and unabashed identity politics. It frightens me to think he might be right that he’s not the only person to vote for a candidate based on appearance alone. To anybody who doesn’t bother to research the issues and votes based on looks: Stop it!

Still, I refuse to agree with Jackson that American politics “pure and simple” boil down to voters’ desire to see their personal doppelgänger in the White House. Those of us who are paying attention and actually care about the future of this country desire a like-minded leader, sure, but we couldn’t care less what he or she looks like.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

BIGOT

JR1984 on February 13, 2012 at 12:46 PM

But that’s not racist. No, I vote against him and I’m a racist. I love it.

clippermiami on February 13, 2012 at 12:46 PM

content of character, shmontent of character.

Jeddite on February 13, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Hmmm. Samuel Jackson is a racist. Go figure.

gryphon202 on February 13, 2012 at 12:47 PM

No sh!+.

Flange on February 13, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Who didn’t?

BL@KBIRD on February 13, 2012 at 12:47 PM

I am SHOCKED!!! SHOCKED I tell you!!!/

dmn1972 on February 13, 2012 at 12:47 PM

You have a lot to learn young one.

SirGawain on February 13, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Jackson is RAAAAC… Oops, he’s Black. He gets a pass, of course.

WannabeAnglican on February 13, 2012 at 12:47 PM

SLJ: Making Alec Baldwin look like a genius.

WordsMatter on February 13, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Surely then you’d vote for Allen West in 2016, right Jules?

Jeddite on February 13, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Blacks voting for a black just because he’s black, is not racist.

Whites not voting for a black, is by definition racist.

The worst sort, are blacks not voting for a black.

/Progressive logic.

Rebar on February 13, 2012 at 12:48 PM

And all indications are he’ll do it again…

Ragspierre on February 13, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Jackson is only trying to rationalize his racism

HoosierStateofMind on February 13, 2012 at 12:49 PM

So he voted based on skin color. What’s the word for that again? I can’t remember….

ElectricPhase on February 13, 2012 at 12:49 PM

oops. I don’t think Samuel L Jackson was supposed to admit that publicly.

On a sadder note – another twit whose movies I’ll studiously be avoiding from now on.

Harbingeing on February 13, 2012 at 12:49 PM

So did quite a few white people, many who claim to be conservative.

He already was written off as a never pay to watch movie star long ago, so no big loss to himself for his stupidity.

astonerii on February 13, 2012 at 12:49 PM

I think I’m going to be sick. I thank God in heaven that there aren’t more people like this in this country than there are.

yhxqqsn on February 13, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Please Tina -I’m begging you- Don’t let the race baiters and gaysies and the class warfarers set the dialogue for this election. When I saw this on drudge – I’m like – Oh shiite ! here we go.
We don’t really need to know the voting habits of one, Samuel L. Jackson- Do we ?
Definitely not a code red here.

FlaMurph on February 13, 2012 at 12:49 PM

what a racist prick!

nathor on February 13, 2012 at 12:49 PM

If a white guy said he voted for McCain because he’s white he would be called a racist. yet, this racist doesn’t get called out by the leftist media.

Do you need anymore proof that the media, talking heads etc. are all corrupt.

Black racist good

White racist bad

Danielvito on February 13, 2012 at 12:49 PM

53% of the country looks like Obama?

Lookit Jackson, if you want to be a bigot, fine. No need to project it onto everyone else.

forest on February 13, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Well if it helps to clarify I voted for McCain because of Palin. Neither one looks like me though.

DanMan on February 13, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Well, allow me to retort . . .

NoDonkey on February 13, 2012 at 12:51 PM

If you are black you can’t be a racist. So say the race hustlers.

celtic warrior on February 13, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Heck of a reason to vote for someone. Does this now mean its okay to vote against someone for the same reason. Oh,wait…that would involve reason, never mind..

Bmore on February 13, 2012 at 12:51 PM

So? Many voted against him because he was black. Racism on both sides.

inthemiddle on February 13, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Well, he couldn’t rightly say he voted for Obama because he’s an idiot …

darwin on February 13, 2012 at 12:52 PM

95% of Mormons are voting for Romney because he is a mormon how is that different

liberal4life on February 13, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Anyone want to be there won’t be many sane liberals making comments in here on this one?

yhxqqsn on February 13, 2012 at 12:52 PM

oops. I don’t think Samuel L Jackson was supposed to admit that publicly.

Harbingeing on February 13, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Wrong- thats exactly what the demonrats want – A RACE fight ! FIRING a black man !! C’mon- DON”T FALL FOR THIS CRAP ! Its the same stupid Catholic attack !! They NEED to keep the focus OFF Obama and throw out these flares. DON’T BITE !

FlaMurph on February 13, 2012 at 12:52 PM

So, it’s OK ~now~ to use the n-word?

Lourdes on February 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM

I can also make the case that everyone who voted against him did so because he is BLACK.

We all can play this game

liberal4life on February 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM

liberal4life on February 13, 2012 at 12:52 PM

How do you know this?

darwin on February 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM

That’s why other folks vote for other people — because they look like them.

So you like an idiot too?

Yes you do Sam. Yes you do.

NoDonkey on February 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM

How do you know this?

darwin on February 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Check the exit polls in Nevada

liberal4life on February 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM

We all can play this game

liberal4life on February 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM

No you can’t.

darwin on February 13, 2012 at 12:54 PM

liberal4life on February 13, 2012 at 12:52 PM

“Mormon” isn’t a race. Ne-grow is.

Footnote: intentional misspelling above to evade word-filters and misunderstandings otherwise.

Lourdes on February 13, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Enough is enough! I have had it with these m^@%&#%@ing community organizers in the m^@%&#%@ing White House!”

Chickyraptor on February 13, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Of course he did and most probably quite a number of other people.

Just like when a lot of women supposedly voted for Clinton because he was handsome and charming.

In other words, substance doesn’t matter to these people.

I’ve never liked Sam. Jackson anyhow. This just reiterates and solidifies my position.

Quite a shame Marvel and/or whoever was behind casting, has gone with and stuck with him as Nick Fury. Blech.

Logus on February 13, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Nobody ever accused Samuel L. Jackson of being too intelligent, or having too much integrity.

Wonder why.

MadisonConservative on February 13, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Check the exit polls in Nevada

liberal4life on February 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM

I though Utah was the Mormon state.

darwin on February 13, 2012 at 12:54 PM

What other criteria did they have to judge? His track record? LOL.

a capella on February 13, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Harbingeing on February 13, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Good luck. He’s in EVERY MOVIE EVER MADE.

rogerb on February 13, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Liberals can take a lesson from this guy; if you’re going to make every decision in your life based solely on racism — OWN IT.

logis on February 13, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Please do so. I’m listening. State the evidence.

lorien1973 on February 13, 2012 at 12:55 PM

An alleged centerpiece of “black Conservatism” i.e., J.C. Watts, was being interviewed, prior to the last election, and he waivered – when asked who he was going to vote for. It seemed that his Conservative principles might be outweighed by the “historical moment” – if a black man was elected.

He never did answer the question. But, it was clear who he was going to vote for – and why.

OhEssYouCowboys on February 13, 2012 at 12:55 PM

We need to start referring to Hussein as HALF WHITE.

wildcat72 on February 13, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Wait I’m sorry. I temporarily went insane myself. There is no sane liberal.

yhxqqsn on February 13, 2012 at 12:55 PM

By my definition, more racists voted for Obama than against him. Of course, the opposition’s definition of a racist is: Any white guy who disagrees with me.

Binky Nabob on February 13, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Maybe I’ll skip seeing the Avengers after all…

Yakko77 on February 13, 2012 at 12:56 PM

The hell you say.

Flora Duh on February 13, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Good luck. He’s in EVERY MOVIE EVER MADE.

rogerb on February 13, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Including silent movies.

He’s even in the “let’s all go to the lobby!” promo in the movie theaters, he’s the Milk Duds.

NoDonkey on February 13, 2012 at 12:57 PM

So, it’s OK ~now~ to use the n-word?

Lourdes on February 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Sure it is. At least as often as Samuel L Jackson does.

Harbingeing on February 13, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Chickyraptor on February 13, 2012 at 12:54 PM

/Winner!

wildcat72 on February 13, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Well then you’re in luck. Because they don’t.

But the truth isn’t much better. Want to know who the press/Left will go for every time?

Just pick who’s perceived as the most ‘cool’.

For proof, just look at Richard Nixon. At once probably the most liberal president in my lifetime, the most reviled president in my lifetime, and the most uncool president in my lifetime.

Just take his entire administration and every one of his policies and put Barack Obama or John Kennedy in his place, and you’d have him serving two terms and glorified by the press/Left/historians as one of the greatest presidents that ever lived.

Still not convinced?

Jimmy Carter.

Easily the third most liberal president of my lifetime, after Nixon and Obama, but not given any adoration or cover by the press/Left. Why? Because he was a pious, preachy, droning man who was as far removed from cool as, well…

Lyndon Johnson.

And the Obama guys, they know this. That’s why over and above anything else this coming season, what you’ll be seeing from Team Obama is attempts to portray Michelle’s beta man as Too Cool for our school.

Typhoon on February 13, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Please do so. I’m listening. State the evidence.

lorien1973 on February 13, 2012 at 12:55 PM

52% of the populace is black, wait, what?

VegasRick on February 13, 2012 at 12:57 PM

The actor said plenty more that’s controversial, but I flat-out don’t have the stomach to republish it here. Check out the choicer bits at this Politico link, at which Caitlin McDevitt mercifully bleeped out Jackson’s incessant cussing.

Yes, you did repost the “clean” part of what Jackson said. Overall, that part is a very small portion of his overall remarks, which are laced with the ‘n’word and I do not exaggerate about that.

It’s disgusting to me that anyone speaks like that, public or private. I can understand cursing a bit in private, but a public rant that is more decrepit than respectful is very creepy.

Lourdes on February 13, 2012 at 12:57 PM

You mean black people are people who can be influenced by tribalism? Oh surely this can’t be true.

Human beings succumb to human nature. No news here.

Bill C on February 13, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Colin Powell?

Mirimichi on February 13, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Barack Obama had NO experience at ANYTHING, of any type, to qualify him for the Presidency. A community organizer with six months as a Senator. That’s it. I just wrote his resume.

If Barack Obama had been white, he would not have been elected in his Illinois district. And if he had, he’d still be there.

The ONLY reason that he gave a speech at the 2004 Democrat convention is because, as his Vice President says, he was a ‘well spoken black man’. That’s it. He had nothing else to offer other than the race card.

Perhaps some people voted for him simply because he was a Democrat and that is just how they vote. But we know that many, many people voted for him simply because he is black. The key word here is, ‘simply’. As in ‘simple minded’.

Nothing else explains Barack Obama’s succession to the White House. I appreciate Samuel Jackson’s honesty in admitting what we already knew.

PorchDawg on February 13, 2012 at 12:58 PM

We all can play this game

liberal4life on February 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Did you vote for him?

Are you African-American?

itsspideyman on February 13, 2012 at 12:58 PM

We all can play this game

liberal4life on February 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Nope. I didn’t vote for Obama because on paper, in substance he was completely against everything I stand for and believe. Race has zero to do with it.

Otherwise I’d not have voted for Jindal in Louisiana when I had the chance. Otherwise I wouldn’t have had the crush on the little black girl I had when I was in third grade… or the very friendly relationship I had with a black girl in high school, or tried to date another… or would have voted for Alan Keyes in 96 had he gotten the Republican nomination. And on and on.

The liberal meme of conservatives and Republicans as a whole being racist falls flat on its face every time. However, there are always plenty of examples of liberals and Democrats being quite racist.

Logus on February 13, 2012 at 12:58 PM

“English, mother******, can you speak it?!”

Lourdes on February 13, 2012 at 12:58 PM

I voted against Obama not because of his skin color, but the content of his character.

His state senate seat was just the start of his duplicity. Many, many people and activists in the black community on the south side of Chicago still hold a grudge against him for what he did in that race. Disclosure: I live in Illinois and used to work for a public relations/government relations firm that used south-side activists to get into the black community.

Refresher on what Barack and his acolytes did: Alice Palmer was a long-time, popular state senator. She was thinking of retiring, but hadn’t made up her mind. A bunch of people filed petitions to run for her seat, in case she did retire. She decided not to, and she wanted to re run for the seat. All the other candidates dropped their candidacies except for Barack Obama.

He had his acolytes challenge her nominating petitions and got her thrown off the primary ballot. He then ran against no one, and since he is a Democrat from Chicago, faced no opposition from the other side and was a shoe-in for the state senate seat.

Two years later, he ran for the US Senate. Somehow, miraculously, his primary opponent’s (Blair Hull) divorce records were unsealed and tanked Hull’s campaign – Hull was actually ahead of Obama, and pretty well ahead, when the divorce records were unsealed.

Then, in the general election, oh wow would you look at that, the Republican challenger’s (Jack Ryan) divorce records got unsealed, forcing him out of the race and causing the Illinois Republican Party to scramble for a candidate. No one wanted what was viewed as a sacrificial position, so Alan Keyes was brought in and got trounced.

Obama is a slimy south side of Chicago politician. Has been and always will be and I won’t ever vote for him, no matter what he does.

italianguy626 on February 13, 2012 at 12:58 PM

liberal4life on February 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Ess-emm-are-tee

rogerb on February 13, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Sadly Tina, I believe there is a huge swath of the population that votes based on identity politics.

The Democratic machine has spent allot of time, money, and energy dumbing down the american population. Samuel L Jackson represent a huge swatch of the elite of the left who no longer thing for themselves and vote only for the machine only because they have been conditioned to believe the machine’s propaganda.

Think about it. Why all of a sudden have so many Catholics all of a sudden been awakened? Because they were basically punched in the face with the actions of this administration so hard they suddenly snapped out of their complacent compliance. Even after many woke up, they still pleaded with the president to recognize his mistake. They couldn’t believe it was anything but a mistake.

Had those Catholics who have been recently awakened actually been paying attention in 2008, they would have known this was coming. But they were too busy drinking the cool aid to actually thing about it. The only thought they had was to just vote all “D” and everything will be alright. They dont even know why anymore.

jmcboots on February 13, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Already enough comments pointing out how racist he is – so I will say that by his logic I should always vote for the middle-aged white guy – regardless of their message – because they look like me. Based on his logic that makes me NOT a racist because I SHOULD vote for whoever looks like me. So how do decide when both candidates are middle-aged white guys?

dentarthurdent on February 13, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Well, allow me to retort . . .

NoDonkey on February 13, 2012 at 12:51 PM

My vote for thread winner goes here.

Typhoon on February 13, 2012 at 12:59 PM

To use Jackson’s own words, “Silly negro!”

Bevan on February 13, 2012 at 1:00 PM

We all can play this game

liberal4life on February 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM

No you can’t. Name one, just one, single qualification Obama had for the job of president.

PorchDawg on February 13, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Is Jackson saying he never voted prior to Obama becoming a presidential candidate?

ButterflyDragon on February 13, 2012 at 1:00 PM

liberal4life on February 13, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Case in point.
Lets add a little religious zealotry along with the racist attacks from the conservatives… now all thats missing is some gay dialogue or stay on contraception…. What’s samuel Ls take on the morning after pill? Inquiring minds….

FlaMurph on February 13, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Harbingeing on February 13, 2012 at 12:49 PM

I don’t know where the Force went nuts, because just a few weeks ago Liam Neeson was saying he was considering converting to Islam. And now this.

Lourdes on February 13, 2012 at 1:01 PM

NoDonkey on February 13, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I threw away our baby’s video monitor because of him.

rogerb on February 13, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Colin Powell
Condi Rice??? likely
J.C. Watts

What do you expect of the lesser dudes/dudettes?

Obama will have done more for the division of the land, racial-tensions, unemployment, dependency, destruction, destitution, loss of confidence, than any other president.

Above all, he will have ruined the chances of a truly capapble minority candidate for many, many years to come.

It’s what despicable PC does.

Schadenfreude on February 13, 2012 at 1:01 PM

So, it’s OK ~now~ to use the n-word?

Lourdes on February 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Yes, nitwit, numbskull, numbnuts and nonsense.

NoDonkey on February 13, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Please do so. I’m listening. State the evidence.

lorien1973 on February 13, 2012 at 12:55 PM

If you want to know why every liberal believes everything that every liberal will ever believe:

A) Read the first sentence of the first chapter of the Communist Manifesto, and then

B) Stop.

A lot of people miss that second step, and it leads to no end of confusion. All of collectivist “thought” is based entirely on class warfare. Without that, they have nothing.

logis on February 13, 2012 at 1:01 PM

liberal4life on February 13, 2012 at 12:52 PM

SLJ voted for Obama because of something he was born with. The “95% mormon” will vote for Romney because of idealogical/faith (in other words, stuff they weren’t born with) simularities. Big difference.

DethMetalCookieMonst on February 13, 2012 at 1:02 PM

MLK turns and cries in his grave.

Schadenfreude on February 13, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Good luck. He’s in EVERY MOVIE EVER MADE.

rogerb on February 13, 2012 at 12:55 PM

It certainly seems that way and is quite annoying and upsetting.

We rarely watch movies in this house, but if we do, if Samuel Jackson is headlining it, you can be sure we won’t watch it. If he’s a supporting character, even then we might consider not watching it.

Same goes for my distaste of Jim Carrey and often Will Ferrell.

Logus on February 13, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Haaa! “Shocker” sums it up.

bob77 on February 13, 2012 at 1:02 PM

One-way racism. Love it!

Spannerhead on February 13, 2012 at 1:02 PM

We all can play this game

liberal4life on February 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZTTTTTTT!!!!! Wrong answer!! Please try again.

Bitter Clinger on February 13, 2012 at 1:03 PM

jmcboots on February 13, 2012 at 12:59 PM

“No joke, Jackson!” (*)

(*) Colloquialism to mean, “you ain’t kiddin’!”

Lourdes on February 13, 2012 at 1:03 PM

MLK would have been so proud that after all his work on civil rights we judge our Presidents on the color of their skin and not the content of their character.

Happy Nomad on February 13, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Not a chance in he11 that Jackon was being honest here.

Jackon would not vote to elect Clarence Thomas to any governent position, not even Master of Sewers!

Q.E.D. …

RedPepper on February 13, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Obama Campaign Launches ‘Truth Teams’

Yo Knickers!!!

Roy Rogers on February 13, 2012 at 1:04 PM

We all can play this game

liberal4life on February 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM

PorchDawg on February 13, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Apparently to blacks it’s acceptable qualification that he was black.

Now you see why the democrat party has so diligently suppressed black candidates in their primaries. They held Jesse Jackson AND Al Sharpton down. They made the mistake of thinking Hillary was walking to a coronation and failed to stop Obama. Had they foreseen it they WOULD have.

The biggest racists in America are the democrats.

wildcat72 on February 13, 2012 at 1:04 PM

We all can play this game

liberal4life on February 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM

We fully expect you to play this game. The racism and race-baiting game is a liberal game to begin with.

dentarthurdent on February 13, 2012 at 1:04 PM

We all can play this game

liberal4life

Please do and don’t forget the evidence! Thank you for the entertainment on an otherwise dreary Monday.

LeftCoastRight on February 13, 2012 at 1:04 PM

I bet this guy has always voted D down the line like 90% of blacks do. It would probably be closer to the truth if he said he was extra excited to vote for a black democrat president. If 2008 was Allen West against a garden variety lily-white liberal, you know damn well he would have voted for the Democrat.

The Count on February 13, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Samuel L. Jackson: I voted for Barack because he’s black

posted at 12:45 pm on February 13, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Now I get it: Samuel L. Jackson assumes the Tea Party opposes Barack Obama because of his race because he also assumes Barack Obama’s fans support him because of his race. At least, he knows he did.

Exactly.

To vote for, or against, someone because of their skin color is racist.

And there are more racists who voted FOR Obama because of his skin color than racists who voted AGAINST Obama because of his skin color.

ITguy on February 13, 2012 at 1:05 PM

liberal4life on February 13, 2012 at 12:52 PM

How exactly is it that you know how 95% of Mormons are voting? Or do you just make crap up?

Happy Nomad on February 13, 2012 at 1:05 PM

All who voted for Obama, and those who sat on their duffs, fully deserve him and his destrction.

Schadenfreude on February 13, 2012 at 1:06 PM

12% of the American voting population is black. Yet, Barack Obama won in 2008.

There goes that idea that “people only vote for their skin color”

I will send him a new wallet: “Dumb Motherf^&%er”

Odie1941 on February 13, 2012 at 1:06 PM

If Jackson’s assumption is correct about people voting for people that look like them, then I should be a huge Romney fan, but I am not. Theory 0, Reality 1.

DDay on February 13, 2012 at 1:06 PM

OT but on an equally irritating level.

D***it, Joss. It’s bad enough when you made the boo-hoo-native-Americans-white-guilt Buffy episode. Now this?

DethMetalCookieMonst on February 13, 2012 at 1:06 PM

So, it’s OK ~now~ to use the n-word?

Lourdes on February 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Yes, nitwit, numbskull, numbnuts and nonsense.

NoDonkey on February 13, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Did you READ the full array of Jackson’s disgusting remarks (not posted above, you have to go read the full story elsewhere).

Nitwit, numbskull, numbnuts and nonsense were not used by him anywhere, though I agree they are appropriate about Jackson (and Obama) if that’s what you were gettin’ at.

Lourdes on February 13, 2012 at 1:07 PM

This is my fav.slj video.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 13, 2012 at 1:07 PM