Obama’s Attack Watch returns as … “Truth Team”

posted at 11:35 am on February 13, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Allahpundit officially wins the Attack Watch Dead Pool, BuzzFeed informs us today, as the Obama re-election campaign rolls out yet another Snitch Central apparatus for its 2012 efforts.  Last September, AP predicted that the much-derided Attack Watch would remain in place because, as Mary Katherine Ham tweeted at the time, “#AttackWatch is metaphor for Obama 08 vs. 12. Same product, subtract style, sprinkle desperation.”  You can still smell the desperation in the new Truth Team effort, which incorporates Attack Watch as one of its components:

President Barack Obama’s reelection campaign announced early Monday that it is launching a new site to enable supporters to promote Obama’s successes and “hold Republicans accountable.”

The new site incorporates the AttackWatch brand, which was met by ridicule from the GOP when it was announced last year, and encourages Obama supporters to “report” attacks from Republicans.

“The goal is to ensure that when Republicans attack President Obama’s record, grassroots supporters can take ownership of the campaign and share the facts with the undecided voters in their lives,” said Deputy Campaign Manager Stephanie Cutter in a release.

The campaign is also setting up “truth teams” in swing states this week, receiving help from allied unions.

What a shock!  I’m sure those “allied unions” include the SEIU, AFSCME, and the NEA, the three unions that have the most to lose if Republicans make good on their pledges to shrink the actual size and cost of government.  Given their level of success (and honesty) in fighting Scott Walker in Wisconsin, at least so far, I’m not sure that this will do the Obama campaign much good anyway.

Let’s reflect once more on the observations of Victor Davis Hanson last September when Obama and his campaign rolled out Attack Watch to recall just how offensive and ridiculous this effort is:

Yet go onto the new (“Paid for by Obama for America”) AttackWatch.com website. It reads and looks like some sort of Stasi file (“file” is their vocabulary, not mine). It asks readers to inform them of criticism of Obama. The format is, I guess by intent, supposed to resemble a government intelligence dossier (“Attack files”), with its blaring black and red headers: “Attack” /”Attackers” (followed by names and pictures of the supposed bad guys)/”Attack Type” /(“public statements”) followed by check off boxes like  “Have your seen or heard this attack?” “Yes/No”. It reminds me of of living in 1973 dictatorial Greece, when we all kept silent about the Colonels upon entering the apartment building, lest the government-paid concierge write something down not nice in her black book.

Apparently no one in the administration learned from the spooky tone of the now defunct Journolist. That obtuseness begs the question, what is it with these extra-journalistic efforts to intimidate critics, as if the 2012 campaign will be based around deterrence: e.g., as if: “Beware: if you criticize Barack Obama, your name and picture will appear on our “Attack File”. We are watching you, so you watch out!”

So creepier still is the request to snoop around and collect evidence for what the Roman emperors and French monarchs used to call maiestas/Lèse-majesté—supposed crimes against the head of state, by circulating criticism of his authority that might lessen his proper sense of majesty. Indeed, on AttackWatch.com there is a special pop-up window that is reminiscent of Crimestoppers.com that supposedly will help form some sort of a clearing house: “Your email”/”content of attack or link”/”Attack type”, “Attach” with a link “Report” that pops up yet another window.

The new defenders of His Royal Highness, Media Matters, will undoubtedly play a large role in this new effort as well.  But it’s not all bad, is it?  For instance, I’d bet a lot of Hot Air readers would love to send alerts to Obama’s “Truth Team” when people flat-out lie in the public square about policy and process.  For instance, Jack Lew should be the first entry to Obama’s Truth Team, and I’m sure there will be plenty of material generated within the Obama administration to keep them busy until November.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Truuuuuuuth Teeeeeeeeeeeeeeam!

Red Cloud on February 13, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Truth TEAAAAAAM!

… it just doesn’t have quite the same ring to it as attack waaaaaaatch!

Doomberg on February 13, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Yeah, Attack Watch was a creepier name, but still … this is going to be fun!

toby11 on February 13, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Equipo de verdad punto coooooom!!!!!!!!!

Ted Torgerson on February 13, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Dr. Goebbels would approve no doubt.

Del Dolemonte on February 13, 2012 at 11:40 AM

The ultimate oxymoron… ‘Obama’s truth team’.

LOL

katy on February 13, 2012 at 11:40 AM

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!

Truuuuuuuuth Teeeeeeeeaaaaam !!

li’l bammie rocks!!

Tim_CA on February 13, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Truuuuuuuth Teeeeeeeeeeeeeeam!

Red Cloud on February 13, 2012 at 11:37 AM

ROFL!

Just doesn’t work as well as Attaaaaaaaaaack Waaaaaaaaaatch, does it?

Darksean on February 13, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Soon children will be turning in their parents, like good little nazis!

vietvet68 on February 13, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Here comes Obama’s army!

This makes me get afraid and stuff.

Key West Reader on February 13, 2012 at 11:41 AM

This is an extension of the MMFA effort, though lots spookier. The Truth Squads presumably are supposed to intimidate anyone who criticizes Debbie Downer et al, and especially anyone whining about his majesty, the King. Presumably they’ll wear brown shirts whenever they are in public so we will be able to tell who they are.

MTF on February 13, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Truth Squads.

People disappearing in the middle of the night.

Papers Please!!!!

Obama Gestapo

portlandon on February 13, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Was The Social Justice League already taken?

Flange on February 13, 2012 at 11:42 AM

The fact that our Liar-in-Chief has a “truth” ANYTHING disgusts me.

bob77 on February 13, 2012 at 11:43 AM

I can’t wait to report myself.

DrStock on February 13, 2012 at 11:43 AM

They use this word truth. I don`t think it means what they think it means. :)

ThePrez on February 13, 2012 at 11:43 AM

I want in on the fun.

AttaaaaaAAAAAAAAaaaaack WaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAaaatch!

Abby Adams on February 13, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Was The Social Justice League already taken?

Flange on February 13, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Friggin’ Hilarious.

Tim_CA on February 13, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Purple is the new brown.

Archivarix on February 13, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Boffins wanted
Scientists are already helping to shape the Obama campaign

The campaign is not willing to say anything about this aspect of its work, but its new chief scientist is Rayid Ghani, previously the head of analytics research at Accenture Technology Labs. He is a leading light in an area of applied science called knowledge discovery and data-mining—techniques that are frequently used by corporations wishing to crunch vast quantities of data in the search for interesting patterns about customers.

Twitter’s greatest use in elections may be not for scoring childish micro-victories over one’s opponent but for quickly finding out which messages are the most effective rebuttals—the ones that go viral, thus giving either party the joy of the free publicity that comes when voters forward messages to each other.

the_nile on February 13, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Will there be capes? Remember when the unemployed were given super hero capes?

There must be capes!

Key West Reader on February 13, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Only this time he has the “American as Terrorists can be detained indefinitely without a lawyer” law.

orbitalair on February 13, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Obama wouldn’t know truth if it bit MO on her butt.

The Rogue Tomato on February 13, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Oh, I can hardly wait. Dear grassroots Obama supporters: let’s start with an explanation for Obama’s blocking of Keystone at a time when the country desperately needs jobs.

Kataklysmic on February 13, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Wow, that’s a pretty creative name.

Super Friends was taken I guess.

NoDonkey on February 13, 2012 at 11:48 AM

George Orwell please call the Ministry of Truth Team. You have a message waiting.

Lost in Jersey on February 13, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Truth Team!!!!

When you’ve got to have a civilian national security force that’s just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded.

Truuuuuuuth Teeeeeam!!!

Droopy on February 13, 2012 at 11:48 AM

More like Paranoia Central.

Bitter Clinger on February 13, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I wanted a t-shirt but only found this.

Fallon on February 13, 2012 at 11:49 AM

TRUTH TEAM, JUSTICE DEPARTMENT…
AND THE OBAMA WAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY!!!11!!11!!11

Marcola on February 13, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Pravda

zmdavid on February 13, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Was The Social Justice League already taken?

Flange on February 13, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Friggin’ Hilarious.

Tim_CA on February 13, 2012 at 11:44 AM

No, but Coon and Friends was already taken…

Behold, Captain Hindsight…

PS don’t read too much into this post…besides I didn’t make it up someone else did.

orbitalair on February 13, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Call to arms duly noted.

jeanie on February 13, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Friendlier colors too, on the new Attaaaaack Waaaatch…..

The black, red, and white was reminiscent of the Gestapo, no doubt a default color scheme unwittingly favored by fascists.

Akzed on February 13, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Brought to you by the same “too cool” people that railed against snitches on the grade school playground.

What. A. Joke. this administration is. You can take the dweeb off the playground, but at the end of the day they’re still a dweeb.

SteveInRTP on February 13, 2012 at 11:52 AM

orbitalair on February 13, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I can see obozo as Mint Berry Crunch.

Flange on February 13, 2012 at 11:53 AM

I just spotted a pickup with a Nobama sticker. I took down the license plate number. Can I win a free dinner or maybe some free contraceptives if I report it?

Drained Brain on February 13, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Truuuuuuuth Teeeeeeeeeeeeeeam!

Red Cloud on February 13, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Nope- doesn’t work as well as attaaaaack waaaaaatch.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 13, 2012 at 11:53 AM

I wanted a t-shirt but only found this.

Fallon on February 13, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Hah!!

Key West Reader on February 13, 2012 at 11:53 AM

click http://www.truthteam.com/ to see why this new name won’t last long.

unclesmrgol on February 13, 2012 at 11:53 AM

To think that this loser will get reelected…

MeatHeadinCA on February 13, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Wow, that site is LAME-O.

OK, has a twitter feed been set up yet?

Key West Reader on February 13, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I have worked in many campaigns over the years, and one axiom I always remember is that the guy who is losing is always the first one to trot out the “truth squad.” I remember Paul Tsongas doing this after he realized he was losing to Bill Clinton. Bob Dole did it in 1988 after carping at George H.W. Bush to “stop lying about my record.” Way back in my college days, I worked for a candidate for Governor who humiliated himself and us by showing up for a debate with a “truth bell” that he rang whenever he thoght the incumbent was lying.

This pretty much seals my conviction that the Obama people know he is going to lose.

rockmom on February 13, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Liar-in-Chief! TRUTH TEAM? TRUTH TEAM!
(I’m sorry but I’m having a Jailbreak moment!)
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

HA HA HA HA HA
HA HA HA HA HA HA
HA!

KOOLAID2 on February 13, 2012 at 11:55 AM

orbitalair on February 13, 2012 at 11:50 AM

LOL….Love the good captain.

He saved us during the BP spill with his amazing Powers of Perfect Hindsight (a blessing and a curse).

Southpark rocks.

Tim_CA on February 13, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Did someone spray for trolls around here? Can’t find any.

Akzed on February 13, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Any chance the clowns in the WH could turn the ‘Truth Team’ on themselves?

Thomas More on February 13, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Will there be capes? Remember when the unemployed were given super hero capes?

There must be capes!

Key West Reader on February 13, 2012 at 11:46 AM

No capes! – Edna Mode

Mitoch55 on February 13, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Is Axelrod the Hulk or Aquaman?

NoDonkey on February 13, 2012 at 11:57 AM

4 million zombies strong, I read elsewhere.

MNHawk on February 13, 2012 at 11:58 AM

No capes! – Edna Mode

Mitoch55 on February 13, 2012 at 11:57 AM

lol.

Perfect.

Tim_CA on February 13, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Truth TEAAAAAAM!

… it just doesn’t have quite the same ring to it as attack waaaaaaatch!

Doomberg on February 13, 2012 at 11:38 AM

One you realize the significant undertones of newspeak and Soviet propaganda, it gets a lot creepier.

The famous Soviet propaganda magazine was Pravda, which of course means Truth. This “Truth Team” fits right in.

tom on February 13, 2012 at 11:58 AM

“But it’s not all bad, is it? For instance, I’d bet a lot of Hot Air readers would love to send alerts to Obama’s “Truth Team” when people flat-out lie in the public square”

My favorite will be:

President Obama is about to give a speech and many people keep saying he lies, on average, 7 times per speech regardless of subject. I hear that all the time. It’s best you clear the air on this vicious rumor, loudly and often.

Dusty on February 13, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Truffers for Obama

Yeah. I bet he believes 9/11 was a inside job.

J_Crater on February 13, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Like all things associated with Obama, projection is the word you’re looking for.

What’s the opposite of Truth Team? Media Matters. Who’s in the news today? Media Matters.

DanMan on February 13, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Too bad California isn’t a swing state, I’d love to have some of these drones come to my house. Oh, the fun I could have.

Blue Collar Todd on February 13, 2012 at 12:00 PM

The new site incorporates the AttackWatch brand, which was met by ridicule from the GOP when it was announced last year, the entire world and encourages Obama supporters to “report” attacks from Republicans.

They can’t even be honest about the joke the first attempt was.

Odie1941 on February 13, 2012 at 12:00 PM

We all need to go to the site and report an attack… an attack on the First Amendment in the form of the White House press release requiring religious institutions to provide birth control.

TheLoudTalker on February 13, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Hey. Didn’t Barack Obama get a “F” in economics at Columbia ?

Go ahead report me to “Truffer Team”. I will wait for the truth.

J_Crater on February 13, 2012 at 12:01 PM

They should have just cut to the chase and called it The Ministry of Truth.

Favorited it anyway .

CorporatePiggy on February 13, 2012 at 12:01 PM

How is this different from when Bush created his Truth Team and Attack Watch?
/Lib4life

St Gaudens on February 13, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I think we should turn the tables on Obama and buy domains to keep him honest. Somebody already bought KeepingObamaHonest.com earlier today. But KeepingBarackHonest and KeepingDNChonest are available. LOL

GrannySunni on February 13, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Wow… How thin skinned do you have to be to constantly keep making snitch sites?

wildcat72 on February 13, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Obama Truth Team – now if that isn’t the absolute biggest oxymoron I’ve ever seen….

dentarthurdent on February 13, 2012 at 12:02 PM

No capes! – Edna Mode

Mitoch55 on February 13, 2012 at 11:57 AM
lol.

Perfect.

Tim_CA on February 13, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Harumph. There goes my smile….

Key West Reader on February 13, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I suggest the TRUTH TEAM use the fake white Doctors coats. BWAHAHAHA LOL !

stormridercx4 on February 13, 2012 at 12:04 PM

lmao.

When you can’t run on your Real Record……Set up a Truth (supression) Team.

Tim_CA on February 13, 2012 at 12:04 PM

“Trolls… oh trolls… here trolls…”

Akzed on February 13, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Harumph. There goes my smile….

Key West Reader on February 13, 2012 at 12:02 PM

The things are just too damned dangerous!

Tim_CA on February 13, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Funny this should be the first topic I see when I finally drag my fat, white tucchus out of bed today…

I truly am loathe to compare the level of creeping fascism I see on display here with the sociopaths so epistemic of the Third Reich.

However, for s sitting US President to solicit trolls to disrupt websites he finds offensive is about as mature and sophisticated a maneuver as the neighborhood bully intimidating a smaller guy into plating a potato in my gas line. The latter is a useful idiot – the former is a coward and a mindless thug

My Sharia Moor on February 13, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Someone said Biden has a brain. It was my duty to report the false and misleading information.

Strike Twice on February 13, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Obama’s an idiot. It’s supposed to be called the Ministry of Truth.

PalinLover on February 13, 2012 at 12:07 PM

I expect they will be connected to this effort: Watchdog Group Obtains FOIA Documents Revealing DHS Monitoring Political Dissent Online

slickwillie2001 on February 13, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Just to clarify…

The sociopaths I was referring to were the idiots who think the “Truth Team” represents the greatest hope for whatever PregTard Utopia mankind will ever see.

My Sharia Moor on February 13, 2012 at 12:09 PM

“The truth is what we say it is.” – The Truth Team.

NoDonkey on February 13, 2012 at 12:10 PM

SH***T!!!

“Progtard Utopis,” damnit!!!!

My Sharia Moor on February 13, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I’ve never seen a White House so obsessed with the idea of trying to encourage people to tattle on one another. Its immature and gives the definite impression that there is a thread of paranoia running through this administration. It reminds me of those nasty little kids on the playground who were always running to the teacher whining and tattling on the other children, but with a definite degree of pomposity in that they would actually call it something that smacks of a kids clubhouse name like “The Truth Team”. Next thing we know they’ll go the whole Monty and call themselves the “Galactic Avengers Club’!

thatsafactjack on February 13, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Obama’s an idiot. It’s supposed to be called the Ministry of Truth.

PalinLover on February 13, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Can’t call it that. People are on to that. Leftists are into relabeling things constantly once people figure out what they are up too.

NotCoach on February 13, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Haha. So his lame “Atttaaack Waatch” comes back as part of a really bad version of a superhero team? I can picture them fist-bumping a la the Wondertwins…….”Truth Team propaganda…..ACTIVATE.”

Chuckie on February 13, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Good luck with the goal of “promote Obama’s successes.” You can write all of those on a thimble with a magic marker and still have room left over.

Is there a link where we can self-report? Might as well start out by crashing the server.

MrKleenexMuscles on February 13, 2012 at 12:11 PM

By the way, if you have to put the word “truth” in your name, there might not actually be a lot of truth there. Sort of like Mitt Romney calling himself “very conservative”.

Chuckie on February 13, 2012 at 12:12 PM

How long before they quit trying to put lipstick on this pig and just call them the Brownshirts.

I tell you this, as soon as they do, the Right will pull out the Brown Coats. No Alliance for us, kthxbye.

Freelancer on February 13, 2012 at 12:13 PM

I don’t think that the word facts has the same meaning in the Dem-Obama Orwellian world that it does for the rest of us.

onlineanalyst on February 13, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Twitter approves – they’ve been a bit low on content lately. /

22044 on February 13, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Here’s an idea how to tie these guys up in knots: have the right blogosphere start “reporting” that Obama flunked economics in college and didn’t show up for half of his classes at Harvard Law.

rockmom on February 13, 2012 at 12:18 PM

The goal of the “Truffer Team is to ensure that when Republicans attack President Obama’s record, grassroots supporters can take ownership of the campaign and deny the reality of the President Obama’s abysmal record,” said Deputy Campaign Propagandist David Brock of Media Migranges in a release.

J_Crater on February 13, 2012 at 12:19 PM

The only thing Truth Team needs now is a theme song. Maybe like the GI Joe cartoon theme from the 1980s…

William Eaton on February 13, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Did someone spray for trolls around here? Can’t find any.

Akzed on February 13, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Dude. They don’t have their talking points faxes yet. Too early in the morning.

Harbingeing on February 13, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Oooh ooh I got an email asking if I want to sign up to be a part of the SuperMegaTruthSquad or whatever. I think it’s my civic duty, right?

thirtyandseven on February 13, 2012 at 12:22 PM

rockmom on February 13, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Good lord, that could be fun! I’ll set up a blog that quotes authoritative anonymous sources.

Harbingeing on February 13, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Chuckie on February 13, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Or the fact that the USSR called themselves a republic.

Or the fact that the party of socialists call themselves Democrats.

Or the fact that the ACLU purports to defend the Constitution.

Or the fact that the Southern Poverty Law Center maintains that its focus is on helping the poor.

Or the fact that National Organization for Women claims that they are something other than a pro-abortion group.

Happy Nomad on February 13, 2012 at 12:25 PM

I’ll bet troof team doesn’t have videos as good as this one.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 13, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Harbingeing on February 13, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Is it true that these “authoritative anonymous sources” have to be protected for national security reasons? Janet Incompetano said so; thus, it must me a fact.

onlineanalyst on February 13, 2012 at 12:26 PM

It’s not enough to have the New York Times, the Washington Post, the major networks, NPR, PBS, etc., what we need is a bunch of Ivy League sneaks to discredit the 1% of the US media that isn’t totally in the tank for the Obama “administration”.

NoDonkey on February 13, 2012 at 12:27 PM

I just reported to attack watch. Man this is gonna be so much fun. So any bets on if this lasts longer that flag@whitehouse.gov did?

coduh82 on February 13, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Kind of like “cheese food.” If you have to tell me that it’s food, I’m not buyin’ it.

guitarman67 on February 13, 2012 at 12:29 PM

William Eaton on February 13, 2012 at 12:19 PM

I was thinking more along the lines of the A-Team:

zmdavid on February 13, 2012 at 12:30 PM

“Trolls… oh trolls… here trolls…”

Akzed on February 13, 2012 at 12:05 PM

They don’t come out unless they see pictures of Romney, Palin, or Santy…and sometimes, when they see the word “Republican”.

KOOLAID2 on February 13, 2012 at 12:30 PM