Great news: “The Walking Dead” was arguably watchable last night

posted at 9:12 pm on February 13, 2012 by Allahpundit

I like to reward them when they do well and they did well with the ending to last night’s episode. Skip ahead to 50:33 below. No worries if you missed the rest. I’ll catch you up: Obligatory Rick/Shane tension, a few lines for each of the minor characters to get them some camera time, Glenn blubbering to Rick in the car about whether he loves the farmer’s daughter, and then Rick and Glenn discovering Hershel in the abandoned saloon in town drowning his sorrows over his zombie wife getting pickaxed through the head. Some perfunctory banter about hope and hopelessness ensues — and then two guys from Philadelphia come walking through the door, hoping to join forces and find shelter with Rick ‘n the gang. Now you’re caught up. What follows is the first gripping dramatic sequence the series has had since … the CDC building blew up in season one, maybe? For a show about the apocalypse, TWD has been awfully thin on moments of kill-or-be-killed desperation among the characters. That changes here.

Nice work on the casting too. From the moment these two Philly sweathogs opened their mouths, I wanted someone to shoot them in the face. Give the people what they want, AMC.

Update: Wait, I forgot: Rick’s wife had a car accident too. Meh.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’m not certain why Lori went out after Rick. He went to get Herschel to bring him home, then she went after him to tell him to hurry up…? It was just dumb. Daryl was so funny when he called her Olive Oil & the way he talked down to her. The whole car crash was sorta dumb & will probably cause her to miscarry so the baby will no longer be an issue.

poppieseeds on February 13, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Anyone else find it weird that after the big guy died Rick still shot him in the head?

cpaulus on February 13, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Yeah, I did. He was clearly dead I thought. Was he making sure this guy didn’t come back a zombie (in case one dropped by and bit him2 minutes later)??

Or was it more of a symbolic thing, like, ‘heh, act like a walker and I’ll treat you like one and shoot you in the head..’

shannon76 on February 13, 2012 at 11:34 PM

You forgot the best part.

Daryl calling Lori ‘Olive Oyl.’ LMAO.

sentinelrules on February 13, 2012 at 10:36 PM

best line of the night.

vermillionsky on February 13, 2012 at 11:34 PM

poppieseeds on February 13, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Don’t count on it… :)

catmman on February 13, 2012 at 11:35 PM

cpaulus on February 13, 2012 at 11:29 PM

He did the same thing as those soldiers did to the hospital employees at the beginning of ‘TS-19.’

Pretty obvious of the intent.

sentinelrules on February 13, 2012 at 11:36 PM

The Walkie Talkie Dead

“Rick take your finger off the button!”

commodore on February 13, 2012 at 11:39 PM

not to change the subject but I caught a show on Netflix called Survivors. It’s a BBC show & the flu kills off 99% of the population. No zombies, just real people who are having a tough time surviving w/out guns.

poppieseeds on February 13, 2012 at 11:41 PM

This show is more Talking Dead than Walking Dead. This episode just setup a rehash of the first half of this season. Hershel’s daughter is now the sick, bedridden character and Laurie is now Sophia.

With monster ratings that Mad Men or Breaking Bad combined can’t match, AMC needs to spend more money on The Walking Dead.

Justified and Person of Interest are two shows that offer better kill-or-be-killed moments than The Talking Dead.

RedRobin145 on February 13, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Children, please.

Knott Buyinit on February 14, 2012 at 12:00 AM

I love to see these occasional non-political threads. As one of the lefty so-called “trolls” on HA, it’s refreshing to see a post with which I can completely agree! But don’t make a habit of it; I fear I need my regular doses of righteous indignation more than I need reminders of our shared humanity!

Drew Lowell on February 13, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Piss off, communist.

minnesoter on February 14, 2012 at 12:01 AM

cpaulus on February 13, 2012 at 11:29 PM

shannon76 on February 13, 2012 at 11:34 PM

My wife and I both think living people have the virus and thats what the doctor whispered to him.

cpaulus on February 14, 2012 at 12:05 AM

poppieseeds on February 13, 2012 at 11:34 PM

It was SO dumb. I was bitching to my husband about it. They went to get Herschel, why the heck did she then need someone else to go get them. That stuff drives me crazy in shows. But, I agree, probably so she will miscarry.

The two dudes from Philly segment reminded me of Justified.

sarainitaly on February 14, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Walking Dead is making fat guys into the new Red Shirts. First you had Otis, then the fat Walker in the well, now the fat Philly urinating guy.

piraticalbob on February 14, 2012 at 12:13 AM

The one suck about the bar scene was the killing of Michael Raymond-James, that guy is a great actor what a waste.

Your Mamma loves me on February 14, 2012 at 12:19 AM

The preview for the next episode looks excellent. They’re teasing the possibilities of Lori getting eaten by a zombie AND Rick, Glenn and Hershel shooting more people who may well also be Eagles fans. Both would be nice but I’d take either one by itself if I could get it.

alchemist19 on February 14, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Last night’s episode was watchable. My pet peeves:

1. WHERE ARE THE FUCKING ZOMBIES? ONE FUCKING WALKER THIS EPISODE?

2. Rick is a pussy. If he is a cop, I would not want to be his partner. He is also reckless. Every time something goes wrong, he is at the center of it. And he never once thinks of his family first. The most infuriating part was when Rick agreed to give up all the guns to please Hershel. WTF! Rick is gonna lead this group to their demise.

3. There are not enough weapons on the show. This is the zombie death march. Where are the mini-guns, the bow and arrow devices.

4. Ammo. They have all these guns, and somehow have limitless ammunition. Why aren’t they learning to make gunpowder?

5. Lori is a c***. She is the most unlikable person on the show, and the one character I would love to see munched. The fact that she was a horrible wife before the shooting, then as soon as Rick is out of the picture she is shacking up with Shane. Then Rick shows up and she dumps Shane and treats hims like he gave her vd.

6. Daryl is a crazy old man who clings to his RV like its his wife. That RV is as reckless as Rick. Hell, they were on the highway filled with cars. Not one of them could substitute? And Daryl is way too willing to walk the plank with Rick.

7. This is Georgia. Outside of Atlanta. WHERE ARE THE BLACK PEOPLE? It is ridiculous that there are not more blacks in this show.

Shane is the voice of reason and obviously the only person who fully realizes that the shit is coming down hard. He is also the only person willing to call the tough shots when necessary (Otis deserved to die. He shoots the kid and then they have to find the medical supplies in a zombied school? I would have capped his ass too). Shane is the only one protecting the group. And he’s being a better father and husband than Rick. Lori is too much of a selfish bitch to notice.

jcelephant on February 14, 2012 at 12:55 AM

poppieseeds on February 13, 2012 at 11:34 PM

I’m hoping she didn’t make it through the crash. She’s irritating as hell and adds nothing to the show.

Wendya on February 14, 2012 at 1:19 AM

This show is more Talking Dead than Walking Dead.

RedRobin145 on February 13, 2012 at 11:49 PM

The late night AMC followup after each new episode debuts *is* called Talking Dead. Though the “celebrity guests” don’t do much for me, post-game analysis is usually pretty good, and I enjoy the views from the people involved in the production.

Russ on February 14, 2012 at 1:25 AM

And man, does Boyd look classy in prison orange, or what?

minnesoter on February 13, 2012 at 9:38 PM

When I see Boyd, or Dickie or Dewey, I have to wonder how they advertised those particular casting calls.

Wendya on February 14, 2012 at 1:29 AM

I can’t hardly stand to watch that show. I am at the point where I am rooting for the Walkers to eat the whole cast.

“Winter is coming..” to qoute Ned Stark. Other than some moments of whining and crying by the “men” only broke by the occasional gunfire, not a single preparation is being made.

thmsmgnm on February 14, 2012 at 1:49 AM

I can’t stop picking it apart. They’re not careful when touching the zombies, and Lori had no reason to go after Rick whatsoever.

The above scene was nice, but it felt a little forced.

Esthier on February 14, 2012 at 2:06 AM

….donated lion cubs to the Bronx Zoo in same year, …….
Politricks on February 13, 2012 at 10:06 PM

So you like it that she single handedly enslaved residents of Africa.

Typical liberal.

LegendHasIt on February 14, 2012 at 2:44 AM

It’s funny to read all the criticism from people who apparently think that every episode should be nothing but killing zombies.

Do you have any idea how tiresome that would become after three episodes?

Why do I ask? Of course they don’t. They just wouldn’t watch, but would complain when it got cancelled.

Hollowpoint on February 14, 2012 at 2:53 AM

It was still meh to me.

The bar scene was dumb because Glenn was there with a shotgun and did nothing, so just we could see SuperRick ‘facepalm’.

Rick was killed in that bar scene, only the writers are keeping him alive.

Sams88 on February 14, 2012 at 3:12 AM

The more compelling stories will (should) come from interactions with other groups of humans.

I’m holding out for Merle to come back.

After the season 2 mid season break, I didn’t think much would keep me watching other than bringing in Christopher Walken as the “governor”, or maybe Misty Mundane doing something…

Anyone ever read Swan Song, by Robert R. McCammon? I’ve always thought that would make a great Walking Dead type series.

reaganaut on February 14, 2012 at 3:17 AM

I don’t get it?

Season 1 was all action.
Season 2 is all drama.

Why do shows change once they get popular? Look at the Sopranos, we want to see Tony smashing heads not dealing with his kids’ issues. In TWD, we to see zombies getting mashed, not comatose kids and social situations.

Just my opinion, I guess I’m just over it. The program seems to still have a lot of devoted fans; I’m just no longer one of them.

To me it’s a toss up for worst show of the year…
The Walking Dead (Season 2, episode 8….not waiting for 9)
Mob Wives (2 episodes and gone)
Hard Core Pawn (like a train wreck, I watched 10+ but it’s over)
or
Lizard Lick Towing (2 and out)

365,000 channels 24/7/365 and about 10 shows worth watching.

SFTech on February 14, 2012 at 3:19 AM

cpaulus on February 13, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Everyone is already infected, that’s why he shot him in the head: to keep him from coming back.

Snitchmo on February 14, 2012 at 3:22 AM

Every time I see one of the zombies. They are always blathering something…EEeeeeeleccctable…Oooooooorganizeeeddddded……

Gedge on February 14, 2012 at 4:07 AM

I can’t believe so many people watch this show! My husband loves it and I can’t take 2 minutes of it and am always leaving the room and finding something else to do. I thought he was nuts, but maybe it is better than the hundreds of bad zombie movies that have been out there that has turned me off to anything zombie.

bopbottle on February 14, 2012 at 5:25 AM

Do you have any idea how tiresome that would become after three episodes?

Hollowpoint on February 14, 2012 at 2:53 AM

There are two problems with Season 2-it’s not that it’s not ALL zombies killing, it’s that there’s virtually NO zombie killing.

The second part is that it’s horribly written. 99% of the plot advancement is done through long-winded, silly conversations between characters, so it’s more like a soap opera than a horror story. They did more to advance the story (and the horror of the situation) with the Season 1 bicycle girl zombie-7 minutes of the show and the line “I’m sorry this happened to you”-than they have in all of Season 2.

I could live with poorly written dreck if there were some action in it, but they’ve really turned the second season into a joke.

PetecminMd on February 14, 2012 at 6:34 AM

For a zombie apocalypse, there does seem to be a distinct lack of zombie killing, and even sighting, especially since the arrival at the farm. It does seem to be a rural area – the town is small, presumably the farm is some distance outside – so that could explain the lack of density as they seem to group together in the cities.

Lori going after Rick makes no sense at all. It’s just dumb, but she is something of a dim bulb. Even dumber is not figuring out the directions before starting out. And if you need to look at the map, why not pull over for a second? Was she this bad a driver before the undead showed up?

But the bar scenes were pretty intense. In a real doomsday, other survivors would be just as likely to be predators as allies.

While it’s never lived up to its potential, it’s still got a chance.

Adjoran on February 14, 2012 at 7:06 AM

You are an idiot if you don’t like this show

tomas on February 14, 2012 at 7:21 AM

The only thing this program needs is a few 50 calibers, a few mini-guns and about ten cases of hand grenades.

Oh, and more government mandated contraception.

Rovin on February 14, 2012 at 7:51 AM

It is always interesting to read Allah’s blog about the show he deplores but watches weekly…lol.

Actually, I think the “guys from Philly” are really symbolic of the Occupiers. They come in and want to “share” saying “things are really bad out there” and offer nothing in return. Thankfully Rick recognizes this fact and shoots them both before they surrounded the farmhouse banging on drums while calling Hershel “The 1%” and pooping on his tractor.

And why was the fat guy shot in the head? That is how one disposes of pigs.

darkmetal on February 14, 2012 at 7:55 AM

I am still waiting for the introduction of The Governor. For those who have followed the graphic novels, you know this guy can be summed up in two simple words: BAD NEWS!

pilamaye on February 14, 2012 at 8:09 AM

I was born and raised in Philly, and even I was glad that Rick gunned them down.
I do have to say, however, that films and TV rarely get the Philly accent right. Those guys sounded more like North Jersey/New York.
If they asked someone for a glass of wooder then you would know they were from Philly.

Nick_Angel on February 14, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Extreme drama + zombies = bad TV. We watched the first few episodes of the first season and haven’t been able to watch it since, lest we want fall asleep from boredom.

Norky on February 14, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Can Olive Oyl be a zombie and still carry a normal baby???

jamzey on February 14, 2012 at 8:46 AM

First time posting, after lurking for a long time :)

I want to like the show, and have enjoyed it. However, in reflection I find that I’m not enjoying “the show” but rather moments in each episode. Sadly, it seems that the time between the moments are becoming longer and longer.

Granted, the writers only get about 42-45 minutes per episode to tell a story, but some of the consistency is lacking. And, to be brutally honest, a number of the characters are simply too stupid to have survived a zombie apocalypse for as long as it’s been.

Lori: As others pointed out, the whole “I need to go get Rick and Glenn” story was forced and made no sense. Also, wasn’t gas something of a precious commodity, and that is why they were using horses in earlier shows? I’m assuming Hershel drove, as the Philly guys asked if that was their “cars” outside. Rick and Glenn burn fuel to go get Hershel. Now Lori decides she can’t wait and burns even more fuel (as well as stealing a car) like it’s an every day trip to the corner market. Wasn’t there a big bruhaha about Daryl taking a horse to look for Sophia?

More Lori: Well, more the comment her son made that got her nose out of joint, when he said he would have shot Sophia in the head because it would have been the right thing to do. And what would you rather him do Lori? Play Chutes and Ladders with the zombie kid that wants to kill your son? Sorry Lori, but even your 10 year old kid gets it more than you do.

Farmhouse: They were worried about the gun shots attracting more walkers. Fair enough. However, the brightly lit house during the evenings, with no blackout attempts wouldn’t? Rarely do you see an actual watch or patrol duty taking place.

The Otis Incident: Sorry, but I also think this whole idea of Dale just guessing the exact events of what happened with Otis, and declaring it to others seems just as forced to me as well. With whats going on, and the volatile group dynamics, he is now accusing someone of murder, while admitting he can’t prove any of it.

Dale: Given the situation of the zombie apocalypse, I thought it odd that only Shane was worked up about Dale wanting to take and hide everyone’s guns (while keeping his own) for the ‘greater good’ of the group. He also took Andrea’s weapon at one point (while keeping his own), to “protect” her, which almost got her turned into zombie chow.

Bar Scene: I liked it, and thought it finally added some reality to the show, in that there will be bad people who survived, as well as good. However, if Rick is a cop, I questioned his positioning himself with his back to an armed suspect. I also liked the question we (the viewer) were left with as if what the Philly guys said about the other places were true, or just a line to try to get in good with Rick.

Stupid wandering: Its the zombie apocalypse. A small group has survived. They fight for survival. And yet, we still see them all go traipsing off on their own, for whatever reasons. And, into such nice places like forests, etc.. where, if they get into trouble they will not be visible. Same with that camp site in season one, right next to a heavily wooded area. I would think necessity would have educated them on the importance of kill zones by now.

Weaponry: I’ve noticed they have recently taken to everyone having at least a side arm, but at this stage of the event (for as long as it’s been) I would think they’d all keep their own weapons with them at all times. And that everyone would have a rifle of sorts for distance, a side arm or secondary weapon (shotgun, etc..) for mid-range to short range. And definitely a melee item for hand to hand. Instead it seems like they want to keep them all in a single spot, and thus a single point of failure, let alone the zombies aren’t going to just stop for a ‘time out’ while you run back to the old and busted RV to get your weapon.

Oh well, sorry for the wall of text. Just a few items that have bugged me a bit about the series. I’ll still watch it.

DonCherry on February 14, 2012 at 8:47 AM

What to carry in Zombie Land…

I would go with what ever type of ammo I could find and carry. All things being equal I would carry handgun in 45acp and a Highpoint or Marlin camp .45 carbine. The I know the Highpoints can be modified to accept 1911 mags and I think the Marlins do also so that would econimize. I would have a nice holster for my pistol and extra mags and keep the carbine slung, maybe one of those nice newer style tactical slings.

TheGarbone on February 14, 2012 at 8:50 AM

You guys are like the Mainstream media and how they treat republicans

or better how conservatives treat republicans who aren’t conservative.

This is a good show…Everything in life isn’t perfect. NO show is.

It has 10 time more drama than other shows. Quit thinking you are smarter than everyone else and enjoy it.

Boring?…that is just insane.

tomas on February 14, 2012 at 9:26 AM

finish it off by giving Dale a Charlie McCarthy puppet so he has someone to confide his innermost feelings…

Last night’s episode really wasn’t much of an improvement from the first half of Season 2.

PetecminMd on February 13, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Nawww, he needs Shoreleave to give him a Rusty Venture.

mechkiller_k on February 14, 2012 at 9:35 AM

The problem with Season 2 is that the writers are city kids and don’t know the least thing about rural life. That’s why nothing makes sense now. In season one the situation was gripping because the writers know urban life.

When Lori looked down the barrel of her revolver my kids all gasped as one. (They went through hunter safety and gun training last year.) Then when Glenn props the loaded shotgun in the car with the barrel pointed at his head, the kids started giggling in disbelief. “Hope Rick doesn’t hit a bump!”

We watch it to make fun of it now. Still better than watching almost anything else on television that isn’t on the USA network.

bonnie_ on February 14, 2012 at 9:38 AM

tomas on February 14, 2012 at 9:26 AM

I am smarter than everyone else, AND I’m exercising my constitutional right to bitch about everything on the internet.

Anyone who doesn’t like it can move back to Russia with the rest of the hippies. And the zombies. So there!

PetecminMd on February 14, 2012 at 9:55 AM

As a Philadelphian, I’m obligated to complain about how off their Philly accents were (we don’t sound like we’re from Brooklyn). The fat guy peeing on the bar was accurate though.

That aside, this was such a fantastic scene.

jdespirito on February 14, 2012 at 10:02 AM

I’m bored by all the third rate critics around here.

The Philly Guys were shot in the head so that they wouldn’t come back as Walkers. Duh.

Why were humans moving all of the corpses to another place for burning? Why not burn them in front of the barn and thus reduce the possibility that they too might get infected by touching the zombies.

People acting irrationally is the foundation stone for all horror movies. Why does someone go down into the dark basement, alone, when he/she hears something go bump in the night?

Rick made a mistake by allowing himself to be positioned between two hostiles who probably had guns. He quickly realized that and took a counter-measure, putting his right hand on his own gun when the fellow at the bar set down his gun. Now he would have the first draw if it was needed (and of course it was). He reasoned that the guy at the bar was the greater threat and so he popped him first.

Old Fritz on February 14, 2012 at 10:35 AM

reaganaut on February 14, 2012 at 3:17 AM

Great tip! I read Boy’s Life by him, what a great book. Definitely gonna check out Swan Song.

Agree with most everyone here. The show is kinda meh. The drama is killing me the most. They don’t have to be killing zombies all the time, but they can spend the time planning, making anti-zombie weapons, seeing if any part of the internet is still up, making plans to head north like the Yukon or somewhere less populated.

Point is, they don’t have to be so touchy feely all the time.

Oh and Lori sucks. Worst. Character. Ever.

EnderWiggins on February 14, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Nick_Angel on February 14, 2012 at 8:17 AM

That aside, this was such a fantastic scene.

jdespirito on February 14, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Great minds…

Yes, I think I saw that fat guy in an Eagles jersey peeing in the sink in one of the old 700 level bathrooms.

Nick_Angel on February 14, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Its about time they finally got to the real danger in a zombie apocalypse. Its not the walkers, it’s the people who want to come take your stuff.

Wolftech on February 13, 2012 at 9:48 PM

“You mean, like democrats.”

Solaratov on February 14, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Doncherry and others, good points–let me add my own and try to see if I can explain where I think the writers are going…IMHO:

The reason that the writers have people do stupid things is more than just bad writing–if all storylines were logical, where would the conflict come from? Constant zombie attacks? We all know that would be boring. And people ARE stupid.

Where the writers seem to be going is where they should be going, into the slow (or sometimes quick) evolution or devolution of characters in the face of danger. Some have simply given up, as we have seen multiple people who simply commit suicide.

I think the character of Hershel was supporting his group the only way he knew how, via his religious beliefs, and misguidedly also thinking that God would not allow the dead to walk, despite descriptions of “end times” detailing “The dead will walk the Earth”. That is a flaw, but being highly religious often means interpreting all things as being good–God often tests us, no?

Dale is the “good” Liberal in the group (Yes, they do exist, but with their naive flaws). He wants everyone to get along, and has a high moral code. He is something of an anti-gun guy. Rick has a similar code, but he is evolving as well, as he understands that the farm will surely not remain safe forever, and he must harden. Getting back to Dale, he removes the guns because he forsees what exactly happened, and assumes that it will endanger their stay. The rest of the group doesn’t complain because they don’t know.

Shane is an Ayn Rand-type (but don’t get me wrong, I like Rand) on steroids (probably in a literal sense) who wants to attain what he can via power, but at the same time doesn’t understand that if the group moves against him, he can never attain it. But he doesn’t see that, because he wants his best friend’s wife Olive Oyl. Yes, Lori is scary skinny–because if the camera adds 20 lbs, that means she is anorexic. Shane and Merle are the most alike–they take what they want, and don’t really give a damn. The only difference is that Merle admits it.

I have to remind everyone, if they have not seen it, to watch “Dawn of the Dead” (the original, not the remake) and note that there are similarities between the movie and S2 of TWD. In the movie, the mall is the safe haven. Here it is the farm. Before long rogue bikers come and ask for the group to “share”–in this case we have the “boys from Philly”. In the movie the bikers attack the mall and send all into chaos, eventually destroying the safe haven, even if they are eventually eaten by zombies. Expect the same with the farm. Here come the bad guys, the “Lord of the Flies” types, who will attempt to take what Hershel has offered only to Rick’s group, and the Zombies will follow. Expect much death and the survivors fleeing for the finale of S2.

And as for shooting the guys from Philly–I wonder if this is a tribue to George Romero, who started the Zombie genera from Philadelphia. It gets you thinking…

darkmetal on February 14, 2012 at 11:43 AM

I dont watch TV. And I could care less about another dead drug addict.

Logboy on February 13, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Right. You don’t care so much that you just have to keep writing about it.

Yep.You’re classy, all right. (Low is a class, isn’t it.)

Solaratov on February 14, 2012 at 11:47 AM

troyriser_gopftw on February 13, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Solaratov on February 14, 2012 at 12:03 PM

For everyone kvetching about why Lori went after Rick. It was a follow-up from the earlier episode when she was called out for being the princess who sent everyone else into town for her personal errands; she stayed safe at the campsite and others took her risks.

Sarge6 on February 14, 2012 at 12:04 PM

cpaulus on February 13, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Nope.

Solaratov on February 14, 2012 at 12:15 PM

catmman on February 13, 2012 at 11:32 PM

12guage slugs are accurate on man-sizrd targets to 400 yards. Not head shots – but ‘minute of man’.

Solaratov on February 14, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Solaratov on February 14, 2012 at 12:18 PM

We’re talking about the capability of the ‘average’ person with a firearm.

And we are talking about head shots, by necessity. The only way to take down a zed is to take out the head. At 400 yards, you’re not going to hit a human head size target with a shotgun slug. Oh, maybe if all things are set up perfect and you’re an expert marksman, maybe. Maybe at a 100 yards – IF your barrel is rifled and you’ve got a scope and plenty of time and a good rest, etc. If you’re trying to take out anything at 400 yards, if your shooting a shotgun, you’re not very bright.

At close range, a shotgun is a great weapon, better probably than a handgun – IF you’re using buckshot/birdshot. More pellets, better chance of a headshot or hitting the head of you’re slightly off center or point-of-aim.

On a normal human target a slug would work great, but even in that case buckshot/birdshot would be better.

And if you’re talking wanting quick follow up shots and ability to carry more ammo, for a normal person, something smaller than 12 gauge would be ideal – lighter weapon, lighter recoil, smaller, lighter ammo (ability to carry more). 16 or 20 gauge would be best. (although 16 gauge ammo can be hard to find.)

In a zombie apocalypse, ‘tactical’ don’t matter. Higher caliber doesn’t really matter. Accurate fire, quick follow up, ability to carry more ammo for longer periods – that kind of stuff is key.

catmman on February 14, 2012 at 12:43 PM

For a zombie apocalypse movie you need the zombie attacks. For a television series, you don’t need them every episode. I like the “talking”. The fear and tension are there; it doesn’t need to be explicit all the time. I will grant not every episode should be about “talking” either, but its existence does not displease me.

I am saddened that Rick “changed”. Not meta-show upset, I mean sympathetic for the character. Sylvia’s zombiefication is what did it; he lost his virtues. He’s not like Shane yet, but he took a step. Whether he’ll become Shane is to be seen.

If Shane would just stop trying to take Rick’s girl, I’d actually like him more. As I said, I like the “talking”.

hadsil on February 14, 2012 at 12:49 PM

darkmetal on February 14, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Yes, good points from the big picture view. And I do understand they do need a protagonist and antagonist to make the storyline interesting, and to create conflict. And adding a good mix of different backgrounds and view points into the group will certainly give some basis to draw upon that.

However, I think it’s the scenario that they’re trying to do it in makes some of the issues more glaring, IMOHO. Unlike a present day drama type show, the zombie apocalypse has pretty much created a Pass/Fail environment. Do something stupid and fail, and you’re dead. Whereas the same type of decisions, in a safe, present day environment, have much lesser consequences.

DonCherry on February 14, 2012 at 12:54 PM

DonCherry on February 14, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Pretty much agree with everything you wrote, except…

If you remember, Shane’s leg was injured and he was walking with a limp. Even with Otis being on the heavy side, a guy limping isn’t going to out-run the zombies. Add in his lame comments at the burial and his personality… I would have come to the same conclusion that Dale did.

dominigan on February 14, 2012 at 2:22 PM

The people clamoring for action don’t realize the consequences. This show could not be sustained with constant action. Nevermind the budget to do it, YOU would get tired if every episode consisted of recycled zombie kills, character deaths, sheer chaos. Its hard enough to develop characters on a TV show.. harder still if you keep killing them and bringing in new ones.

There has to be a balance to keep a show like this going. I love that they are focusing on things like philosophy and survivalism. I’ve had conversations with my friends about this show that i haven’t had about anything else on TV. That tells me its a really good program.

tflst5 on February 14, 2012 at 3:47 PM

The problem with the story isn’t the lack of Zombie killing it is the lack of doing anything necessary to prepare for survival.

Herschal doesn’t want them on the farm, but other that begging and plotting, nothing is being done to scout out, locate, and prepare another farm. Either in the area or somewhere farther away that the survivors can live in.

The world is dead, and the survivors should be planning how they will survive the coming winter and gather anything useful. Where is the search for: chickens, cattle, horses, goats, sheep, tools, vehicles, fuel, food, medicine, weapons, ammo.

The world is dead and the survivors are too busy having a cry and going into estrogen fueled breakdowns.

These people deserve to be Walker Food.

thmsmgnm on February 14, 2012 at 4:38 PM

hadsil on February 14, 2012 at 12:49 PM

It’s not the talking that’s the problem. It’s the stupid, pointless, melodramatic talking that brings the show down.

Season 1 had some great dialogue–Rick talking to the Joneses in Episode 2, Amy and Andrea talking about their father on the lake, the Carol-Ed-Shane laundry scene…there were tons of them. The story telling and conflict was subtle, and there was always the chance of some zombie fun in the background.

But Season 2 is just horrible. Did you really need the car conversation between Glenn and Rick? Did you honestly not know that Glenn was a virgin and has no idea how to relate to Maggie? No one over the age of eight hadn’t already determined that!!! It’s pointless crap like this that I have a problem with.

Also it looks like they won’t even get off the farm in Season 2. And if I don’t get me some hot Michonne action soon I might go crazy!!

PetecminMd on February 14, 2012 at 5:13 PM

My husband and kids (young adults) are all about killing zombies. I think my daughter may like the rest of the story though, but the more blood, guts, and flying body parts the better for the boys. Their only disappointment was that it wasn’t a 2 hour special.

As for me, I think watching just about anything on TV kills brain cells and I’d like to preserve as many of mine as possible.

I’m guessing that Grammys viewership was WAY down because of the season premiere of this show.

Common Sense on February 14, 2012 at 7:10 PM

1. You guys don’t get it, this IS Merle’s Gang. Criminals, highwaymen, hardcore bandits. If he isn’t leading this group, I will be surprised.

2. Herchel was Awesome in the bar scene (watch it again). He picked up on the fact that these were human hyena’s with rape and murder in their eyes instantly and lets Rick lead, just as an older man would. Glenn was being his naive friendly self (like when he saved Rick) and when they got blown away he was in shock, but Herchel was thinking “Thank God you won that!” Everyone knew he had to fire from the moment the leader put his gun down on the bar POINTED AT RICK.

3. The lady in bed is not in shock or entering a fugue state, she got scratched by her stepmother’s corpse.

4. .357 Revolvers rule! Taking the first man meant a quick draw and a shot from an awkward upward sweeping angle, followed by an instant second shot to fat boy. No time for jam clearing or “little” guns as the first had to be take a full grown man positively so he could turn his back on first and get fat boy before he got his sawed off pump into action.

Bulletchaser on February 14, 2012 at 9:35 PM