Why isn’t Sarah running?

posted at 4:00 pm on February 12, 2012 by J.E. Dyer

I’ll take a crack at it.  Her CPAC speech today was a barn-burner, hitting every conservative, small-government point and pumping out soundbites that will no doubt resonate in the public dialogue for days to come.  Some of my favorites:

“Drain the Jacuzzi!”

“This government isn’t too big to fail, it’s too big to succeed.”

“We don’t want an economy built to last, we want an economy built to grow.”

“This is Obama’s Washington.”

I wonder, however, if one of the points she hammered throughout the speech really registered with her audience.  Her signature line in this speech was “The door is open.”  She meant that political conditions are becoming conducive to a renewed commitment to small government and liberty.  People’s mindsets are changing.  We are not governed by the “rules” of political seasons past; the door is open to choosing our candidates and charting our nation’s future on a different basis.  The door is open to not accepting a continuation of the false compromises of previous decades.

(As I go to press, I see that Tina Korbe picked up on this theme.)

I have referred to those false compromises – “compromises” in which the conservative, small-government side gave up virtually everything – as the “old consensus.”  I see it losing, bit by bit, in this primary season.  People are no longer obediently making their political choices within the parameters defined for them by the professional political class.

This doesn’t mean that the voters have ideal candidates with whom to make their statement against the old consensus.  Santorum and Gingrich both have their drawbacks, as Paul always has.  But a critical mass of voters has recognized that Romney is the old consensus, and they are rejecting it.  The CPAC vote was remarkable for Romney’s 38% — because it wasn’t bigger, because Santorum got 31%, and even Gingrich, in a conclave of the politically connected, got 15%.

Everyone outpolled Ron Paul at CPAC, even though he has regularly won the CPAC vote in the past.  This signals a change in the mindset of politically active conservatives – not merely a new perspective that it’s overwhelmingly important to defeat Obama, but a perspective that the core of the conservative movement is shifting, and we need a serious mainstream candidate because it is a life-or-death matter to be effective in the political process.

That obviously doesn’t mean the CPAC voters think we need a “moderate,” leadership- and media-approved candidate.  If it did, they would have gone for Romney, rather than voting 46% for the mainstream candidates who are not Romney – and who are perceived, in many if not all cases correctly, as less satisfied with and enthusiastically “managerial” about the matter of big government.

But the point to take away is that voter sentiment, as it relates to the meaning of different candidates and the basis of government, is changing.

And that, I think, is about half the reason why Sarah Palin didn’t throw her hat in the ring for this campaign cycle.  Her evaluation of political conditions is remarkably accurate and prescient:  she saw, long before most of the voters did, that the game of expectations itself needed to change, and that only we could do it.

What strategic value was there for Palin in participating in the Cynical Media Slime-fest and All-Out Kick-em-in-the-Nads, mud-slinging, business-as-usual, expectations-on-autopilot primary season?

Six or eight months ago, the sea change in the voters’ sentiments and propensities might have been foreseeable, but it hadn’t happened yet.  Those who think Palin could have won lots of primaries on the basis of pre-primary voter sentiments are wrong, I think.  After all, the business-as-usual approach – Karl Rove tells everyone how bad a candidate is, the media magnify his or her every quirk or mistake, the media and some (not all) of the other candidates pile on with allegations that range from hostile spin to outright falsehood – has so far felled our most conservative candidates.

But in the process, the voters have been changing.  That’s what Palin saw before others did.  Do I think she is counting the days to a brokered convention?  No.  There is no one who could reasonably adopt that as a “plan.”  She won’t run this year; that’s my rational assessment as well as my gut feeling.  (I could of course be wrong, although I think some big conditions will have to change more for that to be the case.)

But if she does run, it will not be because she has changed, but because we have.  There are political conditions in which she could run successfully, and conditions in which she couldn’t.  The latter have constituted our political environment up until the last couple of months.

If the conditions are changing now, I believe that is largely because voters are having to wise up to the flaws in our own thinking by going through this ugly spectacle.  We already knew that the media have no intention of giving our candidates a fair shake, and that many in the GOP leadership want to submarine the small-government conservatives.   What many voters didn’t understand is that if we want to select leaders of character, we have to graduate from high school, and overlook the vicissitudes of “presentation” that sometimes make good people look like buffoons to those who see without humility, mercy, or discrimination.  We have to see with better eyes.  We have to think independently of the jeers embedded in the media narrative.  We have to be wiser citizens, placing in political leadership only the hope that is appropriate to free men and women.

We can’t have a candidate who sounds like Mitt Romney, but will lead the way a small-government conservative would.  That’s not an option.  What we’re doing in this primary season is coming to grips with that reality.  I think Palin knew instinctively that we would have to, before it would make sense for her to jump back into the electoral fray.

But, as I said, I think that’s only about half the explanation.  The other half is that Palin is an evangelical Christian.  She believes God has a plan for her life, and that He gives her a certainty in her spirit about the big choices she has to make.  I suspect she has had a peaceful certainty that joining the campaign as a candidate for 2012 was not something she should do.  If she were to analyze it, she might say that God knows better than any of us how the voters’ concerns and expectations are going to change.

Meanwhile, the door is open.

J.E. Dyer’s articles have appeared at The Green Room, Commentary’s “contentions,Patheos, The Weekly Standard online, and her own blog, The Optimistic Conservative.

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6 7 8

She’s nothing more than a talking head these days.

William Teach on February 12, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Riiight. Rove or Krauthammer could have made a speech at CPAC and gotten repeated standing ovations.

Burke on February 12, 2012 at 7:29 PM

2010 could have been even better if not for Palin’s moron army that helped nominate goofballs like Christine O’Donnell.

Go RBNY on February 12, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Yeah, like that stupid Bob Dole. Hey, you know who else he’s supporting, right?

Shay on February 12, 2012 at 7:31 PM

And they’re all by the same 40-50 people.

BettyRuth on February 12, 2012 at 6:28 PM

You’re funny, like the kid who licks a frozen flagpole…

SWalker on February 12, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Burke on February 12, 2012 at 7:29 PM

That is a reflection of the lack of intelligence of the audience. Rove and CK would have to dumb down to a third grade education in order to get that crowd excited.

csdeven on February 12, 2012 at 7:32 PM

What next?

gryphon202 on February 12, 2012 at 7:18 PM

I feel your angst and know you to have been one of Palin’s most ardent supporters in the past. The ship may not have sailed as you believe, for there are larger forces as work here, tectonic forces. Have a little faith and give it some more time. Like setting off seismic charges on snow packed mountains, sometimes there is a lag time between the explosion and the avalanche that follows. Wait for it. Its coming.

ariel on February 12, 2012 at 7:34 PM

csdeven on February 12, 2012 at 7:32 PM

CK surrounds himself with liberals in every panel that I’ve ever seen him on. Same with George Will. Perhaps you’re overselling their intelligence somewhat?

gryphon202 on February 12, 2012 at 7:35 PM

The Wasilla grifter will never be a candidate again. Just egg on her star struck followers to send her money.

rubberneck on February 12, 2012 at 7:37 PM

ariel on February 12, 2012 at 7:34 PM

I’m sorry. I appreciate your encouragement, but I’m more of a “seeing is believing” sort. While I was as ardent a Palin supporter as one could find, I maintained over and over and over again that I wouldn’t believe she was running until I heard it directly from her or her representative. Guess what? I was disappointed, but not surprised. There were definitely some aspects in which I believed some of Palin’s individual supporters did themselves no favors in their zealotry, but that is neither here nor there. I well-and-truly believe that one of the three gentlemen still standing in the race at this point in time will be our nominee, even if the convention ends up brokered. Any other possible outcome is pie-in-the-sky as far as I’m concerned.

gryphon202 on February 12, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Palin fans = the not-Romney crowd

They have never been correct about anything yet. Especially when it comes to Palin.

She endorsed Newt (yes she did, she said she would vote for Newt if she could in SC) and it took all of a week for the backlash to crush Newt like a bug.

Sarah Palin appeals to those that thought Fred Thompson would be a great President because they liked Fred on Law and Order and in The Hunt For Red October, and those that have a subscription to People magazine.

Moesart on February 12, 2012 at 7:39 PM

liberal4life on February 12, 2012 at 4:48 PM

I’m curious about your screen name. Did you choose it because you radically protect the life of the unborn?

Conservative4Ever on February 12, 2012 at 7:39 PM

rubberneck on February 12, 2012 at 7:37 PM

But the Boston Grifter is a shoe-in, isn’t he? LOLOLOL

gryphon202 on February 12, 2012 at 7:39 PM

rubberneck on February 12, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Why do you care what people do with their money?

Cindy Munford on February 12, 2012 at 7:41 PM

rubberneck on February 12, 2012 at 7:37 PM

But the Boston Grifter is a shoe-in, isn’t he? LOLOLOL

gryphon202 on February 12, 2012 at 7:39 PM

If we keep this up the Chcago Gangster will get another 4 years.

VegasRick on February 12, 2012 at 7:41 PM

If we keep this up the Chcago Gangster will get another 4 years.

VegasRick on February 12, 2012 at 7:41 PM

And I won’t shed a single tear. We deserve him.

gryphon202 on February 12, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I think at the convention she should offer her services as a conservative who speaks from her convictions. There is no doubt in my mind she is a conservative.

I do have doubts about the current crop. I will add I think Santorum has the best conservative convictions of the other three. Paul and Romney are jokes.

Conservative4Ever on February 12, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Palin rocks the house at CPAC, and the Mittwits attack…..

How predictable…LOL

idesign on February 12, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Perhaps you’re overselling their intelligence somewhat?

gryphon202 on February 12, 2012 at 7:35 PM

CK is occasionally wrong. But he is mostly correct in his analysis.

csdeven on February 12, 2012 at 7:49 PM

And I won’t shed a single tear. We deserve him.

gryphon202 on February 12, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I disagree. The heart of this country is good, it’s the scumbag media and liars in DC that are screwing us. I’d rather stand and fight for a losing cause than tell my children that this is the way it is.

VegasRick on February 12, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Moesart on February 12, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Thats a great point. When the half-wit half-term gov endorsed Newt and her flaky wife, Todd, endorsed Newt, that was when Newt started going down, down, down.

Stupid Newt….if he was smart, he wouldve known that a Palin endorsement means death to the electorate that cant stand that embarrassing family.

Oh well, at least he got the invaluable Chuck Norris endorsement. Karate chop!!!!!

Jailbreak on February 12, 2012 at 7:52 PM

And most folks here are playing right into the liberal/socialist hands.

VegasRick on February 12, 2012 at 7:53 PM

But, as I said, I think that’s only about half the explanation. The other half is that Palin is an evangelical Christian. She believes God has a plan for her life, and that He gives her a certainty in her spirit about the big choices she has to make. I suspect she has had a peaceful certainty that joining the campaign as a candidate for 2012 was not something she should do. If she were to analyze it, she might say that God knows better than any of us how the voters’ concerns and expectations are going to change.

I agree with this statement. Palin always said that she would pray about her decision and I believe God said “No”… Palin is no coward and more importantly obedient to God so, if God had said yes she woud have gone to battle for us..for this country… I don’t think it bodes to well for us as a country that it could be that God said, “Don’t bother”…

CCRWM on February 12, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Palin rocks the house at CPAC, and the Mittwits attack…..

How predictable…LOL

idesign on February 12, 2012 at 7:48 PM

CPAC?? CPAC?? Oh you mean the CPAC that just voted Mitt Romney at their favorite candidate even though Mr and Mrs Sarah Palin endorses Newt and any non-Romney. Yeah, that CPAC.

Good point.

Jailbreak on February 12, 2012 at 7:54 PM

I’d rather stand and fight and die for a losing cause than tell my children that this is the way it is.

VegasRick on February 12, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Cleombrotus on February 12, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Cleombrotus on February 12, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Nice addition. And I will as well.

VegasRick on February 12, 2012 at 7:56 PM

For you Palin detractors who rely on the “quitter” meme, take twelve minutes of your life and view this Bill Whittle video. You might realize just how truly stupid that meme is.

NoNails on February 12, 2012 at 7:56 PM

It is unclear exactly why Palin has given up on the conservative movement, but many of us who once supported her, and SarahPAC, are still looking for answers about her bizarre support and defense of Gingrich.

Pork-Chop on February 12, 2012 at 5:37 PM

If Palin is angling for a brokered convention, doesn’t that mean the candidates have to split the delegates? If Mitt was on the way to winning all the delegates, there wouldn’t be a brokered convention. She didn’t formally say “I endorse Newt.” She said “I would vote for Newt to keep the primary process going.”

cptacek on February 12, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Jailbreak on February 12, 2012 at 7:52 PM

I don’t know wqhy but that made me laugh. Hard. Oh, and you are still an idiot.

VegasRick on February 12, 2012 at 7:58 PM

VegasRick on February 12, 2012 at 7:50 PM

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. When I hear someone of prominence start to agitate for actually following the constitution our country was founded under, then and only then will I believe there is anything left of this country worth saving.

gryphon202 on February 12, 2012 at 7:58 PM

CCRWM on February 12, 2012 at 7:53 PM

It is that very possibility alone that gives me pause.

Cleombrotus on February 12, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Because Sarah is hot and she wouldn’t kill her baby. I’m surprised the left hasn’t made Santorum’s kid an issue. After all, it’s obviously not a life worth living. Maybe they are waiting.

platypus on February 12, 2012 at 6:51 PM

They tried. Too many women in this country have suffered miscarriages, still births, and children dieing, and we would not allow anyone, not the MSM, a politician, nor an anonymous commentator on a blog, to tell us how to grieve.

cptacek on February 12, 2012 at 8:01 PM

If Palin had ever had any aspirations about running for another office, she wouldn’t have stepped down from her AK position.

She plays a role in politics, but she will never run for public office.

It doesn’t pay enough $$$.

Redford on February 12, 2012 at 7:21 PM

What should she have done to stay in office? How should she have paid for the defense?

cptacek on February 12, 2012 at 8:02 PM

I think conservatives are beginning to figure out that Obama is going to win and we can’t do anything about it. You have virtually all of the media in the tank for Obama and couple that with a dumb, uninformed electorate, and Obama wins without too much trouble.

If that’s the case, why not go down with a real conservative instead of a Mitt Romney Obama light candidate. If this is the Alamo for America, then let’s fight like it was the Alamo. Let’s nominate a real conservative, like Sarah Palin and not some namby pamby RINO like Romney.

I think you are partially right. Obama has a better shot because of the junk that is left in the Republican primary. It is inexcusable that the powers that be could not convince a better candidate to enter the race. I think Christie, Barbour, Ryan, Bush, etc.. would have all been much more formidable candidates.

And while the media is in the tank for Obama, and the electorate is basically dumb, Obama’s approval ratings are below 50% with the media saying nothing bad about Obama and everything negative about Republicans. The populace did give Republicans a resounding win 15 months ago. And while the economy is showing signs of improvement, a lot of economists think the numbers are exaggerated, and if not, that there will be some turbulence this year.

So, right now you are looking at a 52-48 win, at best for Obama, and that is if Santorum is the candidate and the economy improves.

Once the negative ad’s against him start running, and Mitt is the candidate, you will see this race tighten up dramatically, and it might be a very close election, if not one Mitt can win by 2-4 points.

That is basically why you don’t take a stand with Santorum, but go with Romney. But more than that, is Rick Santorum, or even Palin, really the candidate you want to take a stand with? Because I don’t. If I am taking an Alamo like stand, I want someone who has charisma and can explain the conservative ideals. I want to take that stand with Paul Ryan or Marco Rubio, not Rick Santorum.

milcus on February 12, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Which is why she was invited to be the closing speaker at CPAC. They only invite reality stars who do nothing to advance conservatism.

darwin on February 12, 2012 at 4:38 PM

lol

cptacek on February 12, 2012 at 8:03 PM

So why isn’t she running? Why aren’t Christie, Daniels, Jeb Bush, Giuliani, Barbour, Jindal, McDonnell running? Why did they leave the field to the flawed or the inexperienced? I don’t get it. If this is the most important election in our lifetime, why didn’t at least one of them step forward in our hour of need? Why did they put their own comfort and personal lives ahead of the nation in peril? Why does Palin undermine Romney if she wasn’t willing to step up to the plate herself? I like Palin–but she does the GOP no good by feeding into its doubts about the frontrunner.

Yeah, Romney won only 38% of CPAC’s vote. But the others got less. He’s the hand we’ve been dealt in this cycle. Nobody else is adequate to the task, not Santorum, not Gingrich. Our base is 75% conservative. Less than half the country is conservative. So Santorum’s not going to appeal to the majority in a general election–and Gingrich would do even worse. Remember, it’s not the red states we need to win, it’s the swing states.

Right now Romney is polling fairly well against Obama and he’s running a point ahead of Obama in the swing states. To his credit he’s got a sound business background, a half-way decent record as a governor, and most of all, money and organization to fight the crap that’s going to be hurled his way. His whole raison d’etre as a businessman and politician had been to turnaround what were fiscal disasters–whether corporations, the Olympics, or a state in financial difficulty. Why then mistrust his ability to do what he’s already done in a host of ways, what he’s best trained to do? Again, I don’t get it. Why are we looking a gift horse in the mouth? We should be thankful we’ve got somebody of his caliber leading the pack.

writeblock on February 12, 2012 at 8:04 PM

She quit her governorship after only two years to become a reality TV star and has done nothing to advance the cause of conservatism in America.

sheryl on February 12, 2012 at 4:34 PM

But Romney has. You Romney-azzdwellers are not very bright.

Schadenfreude on February 12, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Romney declined to run for a second term, did nothing else besides run for president, and has done nothing to advance the cause of conservatism in America.

cptacek on February 12, 2012 at 8:04 PM

NoNails on February 12, 2012 at 7:56 PM

That is a great video, but you’re wasting your time. They already know why Palin resigned. They’re going to shoot the messenger one way or the other, so if the quitter meme gets taken off the table, then they’ll start talking about how her kids got knocked up before marriage or how she made a verbal gaffe. Anything to avoid having to make the case for Mitt’s conservatism.

Kataklysmic on February 12, 2012 at 8:05 PM

milcus on February 12, 2012 at 8:02 PM

But Ryan and Rubio aren’t running. And won’t. And willingness to roll the dice via a brokered convention in the hopes that they can be convinced to give either of them, and that Ryan or Rubio will accept the nomination? You’ve got better odds on a slot machine in Vegas.

How about we quit the pissing and moaning and grousing about the way we wish things would be, or the way things should be, and actually deal with things they way they are? You know, like “conservatives” do?

gryphon202 on February 12, 2012 at 8:05 PM

gryphon202 on February 12, 2012 at 8:05 PM

I like the spirit! Much better than giving up to the fact that obambi will win!

VegasRick on February 12, 2012 at 8:09 PM

gryphon202 on February 12, 2012 at 7:38 PM

When you state “one of the three gentlemen” are your counting Ron Paul out because he has no shot, or Romney because he’s no gentleman?

As to there being a brokered convention, I think you may have missed my point. There are LARGER FORCES AT WORK HERE, whether the convention is “brokered” or not.

ariel on February 12, 2012 at 8:09 PM

I like the spirit! Much better than giving up to the fact that obambi will win!

VegasRick on February 12, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Oh I think he deserves to win. I think we deserve him as a nation writ-large. That doesn’t mean I’m going to help it happen. I do, after all, believe in the golden rule. And the golden rule is not “give people what they deserve;” it’s quite the opposite.

gryphon202 on February 12, 2012 at 8:10 PM

ariel on February 12, 2012 at 8:09 PM

I’m thinking Christie as well.

VegasRick on February 12, 2012 at 8:11 PM

ariel on February 12, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Keep telling yourself that. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

gryphon202 on February 12, 2012 at 8:11 PM

rubberneck on February 12, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Why do you care what people do with their money?

Cindy Munford on February 12, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Go ahead and send her your kid’s college fund for all that I care. Just a true observation. Suckers send that grifter cash. She will never run for office again, cause she will lose, and she knows it.

rubberneck on February 12, 2012 at 8:13 PM

writeblock on February 12, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Spot on.

rubberneck on February 12, 2012 at 8:15 PM

rubberneck on February 12, 2012 at 8:13 PM

My observation is that you’re a full blown idiot who doesn’t have a clue about anything.

idesign on February 12, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Could “Jailbreak” and “Liberal4Life” be any dumber?

Amjean on February 12, 2012 at 5:12 PM

give them time …. I am sure they can dig the hole deeper …

conservative tarheel on February 12, 2012 at 8:16 PM

If you’re book-learnt, you’re the establishment. – Sarah Palin.

csdeven on February 12, 2012 at 7:27 PM

If you insist that quitting makes you a quitter, you’re the establishment. – Mama Grizzly

Go RBNY on February 12, 2012 at 8:16 PM

On the first day God created the dog. God said, “Sit all day by the door of your house and bark at anyone who comes in or walks past. I will give you a life span of twenty years.” The dog said, “That’s too long to be barking. Give me ten years and I’ll give you back the other ten.”
So God agreed.

On the second day God created the monkey. God said, “Entertain people, do monkey tricks and make them laugh. I’ll give you a twenty-year life span.” The monkey said, “Monkey tricks for twenty years? I don’t think so. Dog gave you back ten, so that’s what I’ll do too, okay?”
And God agreed.

On the third day God created the cow. “You must go to the field with the farmer all day long and suffer under the sun, have calves, and give milk to support the farmer. I will give you a life span of sixty years.”
The cow said, “That’s kind of a tough life you want me to live for sixty years. Let me have twenty and I’ll give back the other forty.”
And God agreed again.

On the fourth day God created man. God said, “Eat, sleep, play, marry and enjoy your life. I’ll give you twenty years.”
Man said, “What? Only twenty years? Tell you what, I’ll take my twenty, and the forty the cow gave back, and the ten the monkey gave back, and the ten the dog gave back, that makes eighty, okay?”

Okay,” said God, “You’ve got a deal.”

So that is why the first twenty years we eat, sleep, play, and enjoy ourselves; the next forty years we slave in the sun to support our family; the next ten years we do monkey tricks to entertain the grandchildren; and the last ten years we sit on the front porch and bark at everyone.

Life has now been explained to you.

Jailbreak on February 12, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Life has now been explained to you.

Jailbreak on February 12, 2012 at 8:16 PM

So you’re into the monkey tricks phase, to bad you’re not very entertaining.

RickB on February 12, 2012 at 8:19 PM

This. But beware incoming.

bluealice on February 12, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Go RBNY on February 12, 2012 at 8:16 PM

You make Romney’s chances more distant every time you post.

Please keep it up..:)

idesign on February 12, 2012 at 8:20 PM

she does the GOP no good by feeding into its doubts about the frontrunner.

bluealice on February 12, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Cool..:)

idesign on February 12, 2012 at 8:22 PM

O/T The Cato Institute filed their Amicus Brief in the ObamaCare case before SCOTUS today. Here is the Question Presented on the issue of the Individual Mandate:
Can a limited government to whom a free people have delegated only certain enumerated powers commandeer that people into purchasing a product from a private business pursuant to its power to pass laws “necessary and proper for carrying into execution” the authority to “regulate Commerce . . . among the several States”?
This will be Epic.

txmomof6 on February 12, 2012 at 8:22 PM

ariel on February 12, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Keep telling yourself that. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

gryphon202 on February 12, 2012 at 8:11 PM

I do not have to tell myself what I know to be true. What I have done is tell you. Forewarned is forearmed, so consider yourself forewarned. What you do with that information is up to you. There are such larger forces at work that a convention may not even occur, much less be “brokered”.

ariel on February 12, 2012 at 8:23 PM

ariel on February 12, 2012 at 8:23 PM

I had people tell me they were certain that Sarah Palin would run. I had people tell me they were certain that Mitt was a conservative. I had people tell me that they were certain Rick Perry would make it until at least Super Tuesday. Your certainty does nothing to buoy my expectations.

gryphon202 on February 12, 2012 at 8:26 PM

How can someone so dumb make so much money?

chewmeister on February 12, 2012 at 5:31 PM

and it just turns your little pea picking heart green don’t it ….

conservative tarheel on February 12, 2012 at 8:26 PM

gryphon202 on February 12, 2012 at 8:10 PM

This could very well be the mindset of Sarah Palin, you know, and could explain a lot as to why she may not be running.

Cleombrotus on February 12, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Why isn’t Haley Barbour running?

Cindy Munford on February 12, 2012 at 6:21 PM

too busy freeing convicts …..

conservative tarheel on February 12, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Go RBNY on February 12, 2012 at 8:16 PM

You make Romney’s chances more distant every time you post.

Please keep it up..:)

idesign on February 12, 2012 at 8:20 PM

I’m flattered that you think my posts on this website will have an effect on the election. But anyone who votes one way or another based on the comments here is a fruitcake and, not surprisingly, an ABR.

Go RBNY on February 12, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Cleombrotus on February 12, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I find the very implication that I might have anything in common with her quite flattering, but somehow I doubt she would be so vindictive.

gryphon202 on February 12, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Cindy Munford on February 12, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Can and will are two different things when it comes to looking for information.

that was my point, that they have only themselves to blame if they choose not to (inform themselves, reaserch, etc)…

Then there are those who are supported by taxpayer dollars, what incentive do they have to seek information?

is that rhetorical?…coz if it is, it’s also presumptuous…I hope you are not saying that you are unique in your ability to research and inform yourself and that’s to be attributed to the fact that you never received ‘govt support’ in one form or another…how about the millions of brilliant people who received govt/state grants, scholarships, fellowships – btw, they all qualify as govt support of sorts – at one point or another in their life, and that were designed precisely to help them further their goal of education, information, knowledge, etc…hard to make the case that because they are/have been recipients of said grants they have no incentive to seek info…I’d say au contraire…

jimver on February 12, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Go RBNY on February 12, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Every little bit helps Willard boy…:)

idesign on February 12, 2012 at 8:32 PM

gryphon202 on February 12, 2012 at 8:05 PM

That is exactly my point though. We don’t have a real good candidate running, so why settle for Rick Santorum because he more closely falls in line with our beliefs?

If we have a bad hand, might as well go with our best chance to beat Obama, hope he doesn’t screw up for 8 years, and than make out stand with Paul Ryan or Marco Rubio? That friends is, and has always been, Mitt Romney. Romney gives us a chance to retake the country in 2020 with minimal additional damage. Santorum gives us a chance to do that in 2016 with Obama getting a chance to piss on the Constitution for another 4 years, and potentially bring us to the point of no return.

To me, the choice is simple, and that is why I am 100% behind Mitt Romney.

milcus on February 12, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Go RBNY on February 12, 2012 at 8:29 PM

How do you feel about all the Palin haters who specifically said they were turned off by her supporters?

gryphon202 on February 12, 2012 at 8:34 PM

To me, the choice is simple, and that is why I am 100% behind Mitt Romney.

milcus on February 12, 2012 at 8:33 PM

You can be behind Mitt Romney. He’s not getting my primary vote. Period. And if he manages to land the nomination somehow, my vote in the general election becomes a vote AGAINST Obama. It really is just that damn simple.

gryphon202 on February 12, 2012 at 8:36 PM

I’m curious do the Romney supporters want Romney to move to the right, center or left?

redridinghood on February 12, 2012 at 8:37 PM

redridinghood on February 12, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Wrong question. They’re busy enough trying to convince us that he *was is and always will be* conservative enough.

gryphon202 on February 12, 2012 at 8:38 PM

gryphon202 on February 12, 2012 at 8:26 PM

You continue to misunderstand me. We are living in perilous times of great change, times in which the normal rules apply less and less.

The Republican National Convention does not even begin until August 27. That’s over six months away. Six months in Obama’s Orwellian world of mischief is a long, long time. Best be prepared to expect the unexpected.

ariel on February 12, 2012 at 8:38 PM

gryphon202 on February 12, 2012 at 8:31 PM

I’m sorry but I didn’t sense vindictiveness in your post as much as a hard and objective facing of reality.

It’s the same conclusion I’ve come to after observing the patterns for the last 40 years and comparing them to a Biblical model while at the same time I still love what this ountry used to stand for and think it worth fighting for.

Cleombrotus on February 12, 2012 at 8:39 PM

gryphon202 on February 12, 2012 at 8:36 PM

And that is fine. I just hope that people like Palin are not ruining it for Romney in November. Because the anti-Romney people can’t sit home in November. Whether they convince themselves that they are voting for Romney or anti-Obama, they have to vote.

There has not been enough talk about that from the anti-Romney crowd, and it is vital. Because even if Romney doesn’t beat Obama, we need Republicans to come out to win the down-ticket elections and ensure that there is a Republican House and Senate in the event Obama gets another 4 years.

milcus on February 12, 2012 at 8:40 PM

ariel on February 12, 2012 at 8:38 PM

I’m too busy worried about living in the here-and-now, thanks. There are an infinite number of “possibilities” once you set aside what is actually “probable.”

gryphon202 on February 12, 2012 at 8:40 PM

ariel on February 12, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Moon Nazis?

idesign on February 12, 2012 at 8:41 PM

milcus on February 12, 2012 at 8:40 PM

You’re speaking as if the America electorate deserves something better than Obama. That’s where you lose me.

gryphon202 on February 12, 2012 at 8:41 PM

idesign on February 12, 2012 at 8:16 PM

You just dislike hearing the truth. IMO, how much have you thrown down the Sarah Palin drain?

She is a con-artist.

rubberneck on February 12, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Moesart on February 12, 2012 at 7:39 PM

I agree in part….as much as I truly admired Palin for a few years, I never really thought that she was anywhere near presidential material. Not that she couldn’t be – she just wasn’t yet. Of course, she was several orders of magnitude better than Obama…but, is that our new standard?

Celebrity status, charisma, and ability to articulate right wing values seem to be her main strengths…important strengths to be sure, but not enough. And I have really been turned off by her game playing in this primary. If she thinks that none of the candidates deserve her endorsement, that’s fine – pretty understandable, actually. But to play this “door is open” game, when clearly she expects many of her adoring fans to hear that as code for her willingness to still jump in the race at the 11th hour, does not jive with her message of unity. It makes her seem more like a Ron Paul type, making sure that she keeps control over her voters and keep the party divided for her own purposes.

Priscilla on February 12, 2012 at 8:41 PM

redridinghood on February 12, 2012 at 8:37 PM

As long as he beats Obama, I really couldn’t care less where he moves.

Thee worst Republican is better than the best Democrat. And Romney is certainly no worse than McCain, and Obama is arguably as bad a Democrat as there could be.

milcus on February 12, 2012 at 8:42 PM

milcus on February 12, 2012 at 8:02 PM

the GOP has a habit of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory …

conservative tarheel on February 12, 2012 at 8:43 PM

As long as he beats Obama, I really couldn’t care less where he moves.

milcus on February 12, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Yet another piece of evidence that America deserves four more years of Obama.

/sigh

gryphon202 on February 12, 2012 at 8:43 PM

That is a reflection of the lack of intelligence of the audience. …

csdeven on February 12, 2012 at 7:32 PM

…who voted for Mitt in the straw poll, yes?

alwaysfiredup on February 12, 2012 at 8:45 PM

milcus on February 12, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Wow, that’s a stunning endorsement of a candidate…LOL

idesign on February 12, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Why isn’t Sarah running?

Well, why should a quarterback play football if he knows that (1) his own teammates will tackle him in the game, (2) they also won’t do very much to stop the other team from scoring, and (3) on top of that, he’ll be the one blamed if his team loses?

Aitch748 on February 12, 2012 at 8:46 PM

gryphon202 on February 12, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Of course they do. Mistakes of the past should not damn the populace to another 4 years of Obama.

They screwed up in 2008, yet they redeemed themselves in 2010. They have a chance to redeem themselves in 2012 again. If they make the effort, they deserve something better than Obama.

milcus on February 12, 2012 at 8:46 PM

gryphon202 on February 12, 2012 at 8:34 PM

they’re full of baloney.

alwaysfiredup on February 12, 2012 at 8:46 PM

milcus on February 12, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Wow, that’s a stunning endorsement of a candidate…LOL

idesign on February 12, 2012 at 8:45 PM

That’s no endorsement at all. It’s a tacit admission that someone doesn’t give a greasy brown shit what happens to our country post-Obama. And I’m not going to sit here smiling and nodding my head like an idiot in agreement.

gryphon202 on February 12, 2012 at 8:47 PM

redridinghood on February 12, 2012 at 8:37 PM

As long as he beats Obama, I really couldn’t care less where he moves.

milcus on February 12, 2012 at 8:42 PM

I’ve had an idea for a while that many Romney supporters don’t really give a damn what happens after Inauguration Day as long as Romney wins.

Aitch748 on February 12, 2012 at 8:47 PM

milcus on February 12, 2012 at 8:46 PM

In other words, you DON’T give a slimy brown asslog what happens as long as Obama leaves. Post-Obama? Who cares. At least we got rid of the Marxist Ba$tard-in-chief. Sorry, but I don’t share your enthusiasm for getting rid of Obama if it means we go right back to the way things were under George W. Bush.

gryphon202 on February 12, 2012 at 8:48 PM

milcus on February 12, 2012 at 8:40 PM

I believe that Palin is trying to push Romney as far right as possible, which is why she wants the process to continue.

redridinghood on February 12, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Wow, that’s a stunning endorsement of a candidate…LOL

idesign on February 12, 2012 at 8:45 PM

I doubt any Romney supporter will tell you he is the 2nd coming of Ronald Reagan. But, he gives the Republicans a chance to win, and at the end of the day all that matters is preventing Obama from getting 4 more years.

And again, as bad as Romney is, it is quite telling that there are a lot of people, me included, who prefer him over Santorum and Newt.

milcus on February 12, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Priscilla on February 12, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Perhaps, but think about the effect she has on a chronically vacillating candidate who can’t seem to find his political center or one that needs shoring up in his convictions.

Cleombrotus on February 12, 2012 at 8:50 PM

milcus on February 12, 2012 at 8:49 PM

There are also a lot of people who prefer Santorum over Romney or Newt. But I don’t consider that a ringing endorsement either, given a field of candidates that stinks like a well-used whore.

gryphon202 on February 12, 2012 at 8:51 PM

She’s playing the role of a good Proverbs 31 woman.

Cleombrotus on February 12, 2012 at 8:51 PM

gryphon202 on February 12, 2012 at 8:36 PM

I am with you there …. in the primary … I doubt I will even have a say in it …
it is usually over by time it gets to NC …

general – ABO ABO ABO ….

Anyone But OBAMA …..

conservative tarheel on February 12, 2012 at 8:51 PM

redridinghood on February 12, 2012 at 8:48 PM

You mean like Clinton “tacked right” in 1992? Lemme give you a little hint for understanding campaignspeak: It doesn’t mean shit.

gryphon202 on February 12, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Awesome writing, thanks for posting it!

bluefox on February 12, 2012 at 7:00 PM

bluefox:Anytime,I loved that piece!:)

canopfor on February 12, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Me too! I read it back then but it was good to read it again! I wish it were true!

Night Owl on February 12, 2012 at 8:51 PM

CCRWM on February 12, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Now THERE’S a sobering observation (unless of course, you’re an atheist).

listens2glenn on February 12, 2012 at 8:51 PM

A new Sarah Palin thread up!

This keeps on getting better and better..:)

idesign on February 12, 2012 at 8:51 PM

gryphon202 on February 12, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Of course I care what happens. But I just don’t think Romney is the devil that most people think he is. Will he be a conservative 100% of the time? No. But will he be a decent Republican? I don’t see why not.

But again, even if he is Bush III, that is still better than Obama.

milcus on February 12, 2012 at 8:52 PM

As long as he beats Obama, I really couldn’t care less where he moves.

milcus on February 12, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Srsly? You’d like him to move to the left?

redridinghood on February 12, 2012 at 8:53 PM

gryphon202 on February 12, 2012 at 8:51 PM

And that is the main problem – a bad field.

Not one of those guys gets me excited to take out my checkbook and write them a check (although I will in the general election). Not one of them gets me excited to go out and volunteer my time and effort to help them. And not one of them makes me confident of beating Obama. But Romney, to me, gives Republicans the best chance.

milcus on February 12, 2012 at 8:55 PM

But again, even if he is Bush III, that is still better than Obama.

milcus on February 12, 2012 at 8:52 PM

I don’t want “better than Obama.” I want someone who will follow the goddam constitution. Don’t you understand that? We are a nation of f**king constitutional illiterates, and I’m supposed to feel hunky-dory about someone who’s “better than Obama?” Ostensibly someone who doesn’t actively abhor America, but is so constitutionally illiterate as to not even know what following the constitution really means?!

Christ almighty, we are doomed.

gryphon202 on February 12, 2012 at 8:55 PM