Hot Air Survey Results: CPAC Edition

posted at 6:35 pm on February 12, 2012 by Patrick Ishmael

Rick Santorum has taken the lead for the first time at Hot Air. He is followed by Newt Gingrich, Mitt Romney, and Ron Paul.

Who did voters prefer in 2008, and who do they prefer now?

Questions? You can find me here.

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

The way this race has turned people against each other is sickening. We are doing Obama’s work for him. Anyone who would not vote for Romney if he got the nomination is an Obama supporter, simple as that. Romney is the same guy who ran in 2008 and there was far less hate going around for the man.

People who support Romney support him for practical reasons. It has nothing to do with the “Establishment”. I’m so sick of that word. It has nothing to do with the media. It’s about making a rational decision based on the scenario we find ourselves in and the goal of removing Obama. He is the only republican who will appeal to large number of voters in the general in order to defeat Obama. Gingrich won’t, Santorum won’t. People need to face reality.

Instead people want to attack and call others childish names like “Mittbots”, etc. Good God people! Obama is the enemy!

jazzmo on February 12, 2012 at 9:30 PM

THIS. I wanna fight the O, not my brothers and sisters here.

thebrokenrattle on February 12, 2012 at 9:32 PM

My case for Gingrich:
1. He was a private citizen while working for Freddie and Fannie. He was doing what many people do when they leave a company with great skills – he was doing consulting work. If he had been doing this work for the Humane Society, almost no one would be complaining. Since the work was being done for the hated Freddie/Fannie, he is slammed for it.

2. Flip-Flopping on the climate change has been a charge for many of the most conservative politicians, and even the scientists themselves. While he says he does not know the cause, he does believe the climate is changing. Most people realize the climate changes in cycles, there are charts available. There have been ice-age scares and warming scares forever. At least he supports “pro-market, pro-entrepreneur, innovative solutions” (Gingrich’s website) to the problem instead of government intervention. Even the Heritage Foundation has flipped on the requiring insurance mandate. Dede was the Republican and Gingrich backed the R, but I think he should have backed the conservative.

3. I am not marrying this person, so I am not worried about his affairs or divorces. My ex was a horrible husband, but he was a good person who would go out of his way to help anyone. If he was running for dogcatcher, I would vote for him, and others would vote for him for a higher office. Gingrich’s personal life is his, and it should be left at that. Clinton was not clouted on the nose for sex; he was impeached for lying under oath to the Grand Jury.

4. Gingrich got things done while he was in office. When you get things done, you step on toes. This makes people mad, and they do not like you. In my opinion, this makes Gingrich a better choice, not an inferior one. His ideas were good and were implemented with help from both parties. Is that not a much better path that what we have in government today?

5. I get mad when people tell lies about me, too. It does not mean I have anger problems. It means I am human. It would most likely distract me from my message also. Not pretty, but I am not looking for pretty or perfect.

6. He was cleared of every ethics charge, even the one that carried the fine that was not actually a fine. The IRS cleared him of the last charge four years after he agreed to pay $300,000 to defray the costs of the investigation. This can be checked in the Washington Post archives.

Are we looking for a person who has never accomplished anything or are we looking for a President who has actually done things for the conservative cause? Are we looking for Mr/Ms. Perfect or are we looking for a President who can get the job done? Are we looking for a person we would marry or are we looking for a President who can deliver a budget to Congress with the hope of getting it passed? Are we looking for a person that never changes hisher opinion or are we looking for a President who can also learn?

I am looking for a conservative-leaning, go-get-them, well-informed person to represent the American people as President of the United States. I believe that person is Newt Gingrich.

annexwcp on February 12, 2012 at 9:34 PM

jazzmo on February 12, 2012 at 9:30 PM

THIS. I wanna fight the O, not my brothers and sisters here.

thebrokenrattle on February 12, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Honestly guys….if you’re looking for “one-size-fits-all” political policy on which to base your life – where everyone holds hands and marches to the beat of the same drummer……you’ve probably got the wrong party.

Vote your conscience….I’ll vote mine.

Tim_CA on February 12, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Tim_CA on February 12, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Have fun!

thebrokenrattle on February 12, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Have fun!

thebrokenrattle on February 12, 2012 at 9:40 PM

LMAO – Wouldn’t have it any other way!

Tim_CA on February 12, 2012 at 9:41 PM

LMAO – Wouldn’t have it any other way!

Tim_CA on February 12, 2012 at 9:41 PM

thebrokenrattle on February 12, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Vote your conscience….I’ll vote mine.

Tim_CA on February 12, 2012 at 9:39 PM

That’s fine and I respect that, its the attacks for doing so that I don’t like here. We are all in support of removing Obama. That’s why people who say they will stay home if they don’t get their way need to reconsider. Once our nominee is chosen, all of this needs to be left in the past and all of us need to vote against the enemy.

jazzmo on February 12, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Romney’s a bit like a creepy guy who thinks he’s your boyfriend and won’t take no for an answer, isn’t he?

abobo on February 12, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Right down to the part where, when he finally starts to believe you mean it, tells you that you weren’t good enough for him anyway.

Night Owl on February 12, 2012 at 7:51 PM

..and then pays people to take out your new boyfriend

congma on February 12, 2012 at 8:52 PM

LOL

Night Owl on February 12, 2012 at 9:56 PM

abobo on February 12, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Night Owl on February 12, 2012 at 7:51 PM

..and then pays people to take out your new boyfriend

congma on February 12, 2012 at 8:52 PM

LOL

Night Owl on February 12, 2012 at 9:56 PM

right??

Killing me over here.

Tim_CA on February 12, 2012 at 10:01 PM

I didn’t take the poll but looking at the results, it appears that you don’t have age or gender on this one. What’s up with that? Trying to hide the fact that the majority of Hot Air readers are old guys?

JA on February 12, 2012 at 10:03 PM

jazzmo on February 12, 2012 at 9:30 PM

You are doing the same thing. If we don’t agree with your premise, then we are unrealistic. Maybe it’s you who are wrong, and nominating yet another generic republican is the wrong way to go.

Night Owl on February 12, 2012 at 10:04 PM

right??

Killing me over here.

Tim_CA on February 12, 2012 at 10:01 PM

I know. I thought I was like Rush Limbaugh, once I say something there is nothing left to be said, but I was wrong about that!

Night Owl on February 12, 2012 at 10:07 PM

jazzmo on February 12, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Pretty much always is. Will be espescially so this time.

Too much at stake.

Every conservative will pull the handle to get rid of the marxist….at least no-one I know will be staying home.

Tim_CA on February 12, 2012 at 10:12 PM

lol – I don’t agree that Romney will either. I suspect he would do no better than McCain. Personally, I don’t think any of our candidates would be electable in a normal election cycle. But I am holding out hope that any of them can beat this destructive, unpopular president.

firegnome on February 12, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Night Owl on February 12, 2012 at 10:04 PM

I am all about removing Obama. That’s what I care about. Then we can deal with what we have at that point which will be an improvement whoever it is.

Why do I support Romney? Because vanilla is the most popular flavor of ice cream.

jazzmo on February 12, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Tim_CA on February 12, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Tim, I hope you are right. I really do. We just have to get rid of that man.

jazzmo on February 12, 2012 at 10:23 PM

36 percent and 72 percent are liars.

And these polls continue to push an either/or fallacy, so what’s the point?

Dante on February 12, 2012 at 10:23 PM

jazzmo on February 12, 2012 at 10:22 PM

lol.

Tim_CA on February 12, 2012 at 10:25 PM

jazzmo on February 12, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Utter ridiculousness. Try to be serious.

Dante on February 12, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Barack Obama is supplying birth control free of charge to the women of America. Hot Airheads with a death wish want to run a candidate who is opposed to birth control.

Good grief. If you people prevail we are looking at a 60:40 split for Obama.

Basilsbest on February 12, 2012 at 10:26 PM

jazzmo on February 12, 2012 at 9:30 PM

You need to face reality. I’m not voting for one statist to save us from another statist. And I will actively campaign against all statists. And will not donate any time or money to any party being headed up by a statist.

besser tot als rot on February 12, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Basilsbest on February 12, 2012 at 10:26 PM

The personal preferences of the candidates shouldn’t matter if the government was intruding in our lives in an appropriately minimal manner.

besser tot als rot on February 12, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Basilsbest on February 12, 2012 at 10:26 PM

I really hope that you’re getting paid to say that.

besser tot als rot on February 12, 2012 at 10:30 PM

jazzmo on February 12, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Another ACORN romney shill?

You people are f*$ing pathetic.

tom daschle concerned on February 12, 2012 at 10:30 PM

My survey says ….

Santorum
Gingrich
Paul
Romney

SaysWho on February 12, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Another ACORN romney shill?

You people are f*$ing pathetic.

tom daschle concerned on February 12, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Don’t think so…..think jazzmo beleives the MSM hype. lol…..might be just a lack of good intel.

Tim_CA on February 12, 2012 at 10:35 PM

jazzmo on February 12, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Another ACORN romney shill?

You people are f*$ing pathetic.

tom daschle concerned on February 12, 2012 at 10:30 PM

There’s nothing as pathetic as those who threaten not to support the nominee. Those who do not support the nominee may end up helping Obama get re-elected. That not just pathetic, it’s a fact. So you are pathetic daschle.

Basilsbest on February 12, 2012 at 10:43 PM

I’m still hoping sanity prevails and the GOP decides to run on the economy with the best candidate its ever had on that issue.Basilsbest on February 12, 2012 at 10:26 PM

I really hope that you’re getting paid to say that.

besser tot als rot on February 12, 2012 at 10:30 PM

It’s offered here free of charge as a public service. I agree with Jack Welch who says Romney is the most qualified person ever to run for the presidency. Welch is right. No one else has Romney’s combination of education and experience. I judge people by how they’ve lived their lives. Talk is cheap Messrs Limbaugh and Gingrich. Romney has lived a more conservative life than most of his critics.

Basilsbest on February 12, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Romney has lived a more conservative life than most of his critics.

Basilsbest on February 12, 2012 at 10:52 PM

His personal life isn’t the problem and doesn’t directly impact me. How he lived and governed in his public life is the problem and can directly impact me.

pannw on February 12, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Romney has lived a more conservative life than most of his critics.Basilsbest on February 12, 2012 at 10:52 PM

pannw on February 12, 2012 at 10:58 PM

He governed as conservatively as he could in the face of fierce opposition in the most liberal state in America. He used his veto pen 800 times. He inherited a deficit and ran 4 straight surpluses.

Basilsbest on February 12, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Anyone who would not vote for Romney if he got the nomination McCain/Palin is an Obama supporter, simple as that.

FIFY

DannoJyd on February 12, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Basilsbest on February 12, 2012 at 10:43 PM

EXCUSE ME, but I, the AWE inspiring Danno Man, have been working as a grass roots supporter for OVER TEN YEARS, and in all of that time I’ve NEVER supported a RINO.

Where were you when I was making up lawn signs, opening the door at the GOP victory HQ’s, and working all day long as a poll watcher during the past 4 election cycles?

The time to put your money where your mouth is well past. Get involved NOW!

DannoJyd on February 12, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Basilsbest on February 12, 2012 at 11:09 PM

He defends his statist policies. He doesn’t say that is the best he could do. He calls the mandate “fundamentally conservative” and defends countless other statist solutions. You are making arguments for him that he himself doesn’t make. You are wishcasting, plain and simple.

besser tot als rot on February 12, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Basilsbest on February 12, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Having good qualifications or a good resume doesn’t mean that you have the right solutions. “Most qualified” doesn’t mean “best candidate”, nor does it mean that he’d have the best solutions, or even good solutions. Qualifications, as personal morality, don’t necessarily translate into good sound policy. Many on the left have wonderful qualifications, have wonderful credentials and resumes, have led exemplary personal lives of morality. That doesn’t mean that they wouldn’t happily implement far left statist policy if given the chance. You are basing your conclusion on nothing more than “Hope and Change.”

besser tot als rot on February 12, 2012 at 11:36 PM

LOL, Romney is collapsing…

Norwegian on February 12, 2012 at 11:37 PM

The time to put your money where your mouth is well past. Get involved NOW!

DannoJyd on February 12, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Good for you Danno. With any luck at all, in this election cycle, you will get to work for a nominee who is such a staunch conservative that he took on the King of The Liberals in the most liberal state of all.

And for his trouble in pursuing this nearly impossible task, we have lying idiots on this site unconscionably saying that he ran to the left of Kennedy.

Basilsbest on February 12, 2012 at 11:38 PM

People who support Romney support him for practical reasons. It has nothing to do with the “Establishment”. . .
jazzmo on February 12, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Me thinks thou protest too loudly.

Especially as those reasons seem to have nothing to do with political ideas. Just select the guy Soros loves the most for our nominee. Is that the Practical Reason?

Steveangell on February 12, 2012 at 11:40 PM

DannoJyd on February 12, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Like Father like son.

George (Mitts dad) raised Michigan spending from 550m to 1.3 billion in five short years. The LDS church nearly excommunicated him as well for inferring their teachings were bunk. He also become great friends with Saul Alinsky and raised taxes. He was also a liberal moderate far too liberal for most Republicans he ran for President and only got delegates from Michigan and Utah. He did his level best to make sure the nominee that year Goldwater would lose even challenging his VP pick never turning over his 50 delegates or endorsing him.

My biggest fear with Romney is he will not endorse Santorum. Well second to he might run as Obama’s VP.

Steveangell on February 12, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Who did voters prefer in 2008, and who do they prefer now?

Interesting that Romney lost half his supporters now. One would think that McCain’s supporters then would split about the same way as Mitt’s 2008 supporters, instead it seems like 4/5 are acting like “once bitten, twice shy” for supporting another RINO. Similarily, 3/4 for Rudy are now not for Mitt.

This is a good sign of the growing realization that voting for a RINO will only perpetuate the GOP status quo of screwing us while they continue to stuff their pockets with power and our money. The undercurrent is building — we can either break the chains of dependency in November or we’ll be picking up the pieces in 2016. Fate favors the bold.

AH_C on February 12, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Romney has the support of the best educated. This is hardly surprising. Smart people understand that politics is the art of the possible. They judge the records of politicians in context. Romney was not the Governor of Utah or Texas.

Basilsbest on February 13, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Looks to me most of Hotair just like Sarah Palin is not convinced Willard is a conservative

liberal4life on February 12, 2012 at 6:38 PM

You almost surprised me…a sign of intelligence. How observant!

KOOLAID2 on February 13, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Basilsbest on February 13, 2012 at 12:02 AM

LMAO.

Me too dunb to know how to vote good.

Glad me have smart guys like bailsbest to help I “understand” how to vote.

cuz “politics is art” and stuff.

ROTFLMAO!!!

Tim_CA on February 13, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Santorum: socially conservative, fiscally another Bush.
I’d rather have Obama lite than the heavy fat version.
Once again, 2012, no choice.
I’m beginning to think the only conservative left standing is Jim DeMint.
Brokered convention? Heard talk about Jeb Bush…what is this, Dynasty?
I’ll do the only thing I can at the voting booth….pull the R lever whoever it is.

Belle on February 13, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Because the conservative base is a scant fraction of the voters who vote in the general election.

Bartrams Garden on February 12, 2012 at 8:27 PM

[::slowly, enunciating with exaggerated care::]

Then. For. God’s. Sake. STOP. WHINING. ABOUT. OUR. NOT. BE. WILLING. TO. VOTE. FOR. YOUR. PRECIOUS. HUMAN. POMPADOUR.

If we’re too “scant,” electorally, for the GOP to coddle and fawn over the way they routinely do over “moderates” — who, as the last election plainly demonstrated, ignore all of your increasingly desperate and obvious blandishments anyway, come November — then, BY DEFINITION, we’re also too “scant” for you to blame for your humiliating failures to competently score occupancy of the White House, afterwards.

All you CINOs out there, stamp your respective hooves twice if any of this is even remotely sinking in for you, at long and painfully protracted last.

Kent18 on February 13, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Basilsbest on February 13, 2012 at 12:02 AM

False comparison; educated does not automatically equal smart.

Fail…

fossten on February 13, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Kent18 on February 13, 2012 at 12:16 AM

lol….exhausting, isn’t it?

Tim_CA on February 13, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Basilsbest on February 13, 2012 at 12:02 AM

By that measure, Oboobi also supports Romney; for him to poop on…

AH_C on February 13, 2012 at 12:38 AM

lol….exhausting, isn’t it?

Tim_CA on February 13, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Like trying to teach Boolean algebra to your house cat, or training cantaloupes to sing. ;)

Kent18 on February 13, 2012 at 12:42 AM

I support the non_Obama, other than that, my “support” goes to None of the Above.

I can’t stand any of the candidates who are left, they ALL have serious flaws and I’m skeptical of their ability to beat Obama.

It’s interesting that all of the candidates with the best REAL records, all successful multi-term governors, have dropped out. Pawlenty, Johnson (now the Libertarian candidate and the best of the bunch in my opinion), Huntsman, and Perry. All with real records of limited spending, reducing the size of government, and leadership.

Now we’re left with 3 candidates who haven’t held elective office in years because they couldn’t get reelected, who DON’T have a good record of limited government and cutting spending, and who don’t have the experience necessary to lead (you know, executive experience like mayor, governor, starting and running a business, etc.). The fourth has only been in the House and is nuts on foreign policy.

Hopefully the Senate and House races will leave us with more constitutional/limited government-minded people in Congress because I fear that any of these candidates will leave us with the status quo.

Common Sense on February 13, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Tim_CA on February 13, 2012 at 12:11 AM

He’s quoting Bismark, a masterful politician. “Politics is the art of the possible.” – Bismark, 1867. I don’t think the original quote included “and stuff”.

HTL on February 13, 2012 at 12:47 AM

HTL on February 13, 2012 at 12:47 AM

lol….thanks. me not smart ’nuff to now ’bout 19th century Prussian polls.

you romney guys much gooder than me.

Arroagant twerp.

Tim_CA on February 13, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Tim_CA on February 13, 2012 at 12:56 AM

I am not a “Romney guy”. Don’t hurt yourself jumping to conclusions.

Just for the record, I supported Perry, and as of yet have not decided on another candidate. What I am, however, is an historian and you clearly did not recognize a famous quote with significant historical implications. Do you know, perhaps another one? “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”

HTL on February 13, 2012 at 1:04 AM

HTL on February 13, 2012 at 1:04 AM

lol….Jump on this you arrogant, self-important, elitest mitt-shill….everybody here who took a 100 level poli-sci class knows Bismark……what’s next…..dueling Federalist papers? Google your own damn quotes. Insufferable dolt.

You’re impressing no-one “historian”….go back to KOS, talk to your buds and play with yourself.

Don’t forget your screen-wipes.

Don’t forget the screen-wipes.

Tim_CA on February 13, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Don’t forget the screen-wipes.

Tim_CA on February 13, 2012 at 1:22 AM

lol….sorry about the double post…..edited this HEAVILY for language.

Tim_CA on February 13, 2012 at 1:25 AM

I wonder who it will be next week?

V7_Sport on February 13, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Tim, try the decaf.

V7_Sport on February 13, 2012 at 1:31 AM

I wonder who it will be next week?

V7_Sport on February 13, 2012 at 1:29 AM

I dunno skippy….who else ya got that’s “not-romney”? It’s what 79% of the people here want.

Tim_CA on February 13, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Tim, try the decaf.

V7_Sport on February 13, 2012 at 1:31 AM

lol….NEVER!

Tim_CA on February 13, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Tim_CA on February 13, 2012 at 1:22 AM

I’m not trying to impress anyone. It’s just that you were making fun of someone else, and I stuck my nose in because I didn’t like it. Sorry I got in your way.

Any other insults, accusations or insinuations you’d like to toss my way before we’re done, just to get them out of your system?

HTL on February 13, 2012 at 1:36 AM

HTL on February 13, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Several actually – I’ll pace myself….but did someone mention coffee?

Tim_CA on February 13, 2012 at 1:42 AM

I wonder who it will be next week?

V7_Sport on February 13, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Easy, obvious answer: Not. Romney.

Again. Still.

There’s an obscure technical term, commonplace in discussions of electoral politics, used to perfectly describe any political party which routinely and obdurately insists upon pissing all over their actual, voting base; while simultaneously attempting to browbeat said base, via leftist scare tactics and insults, into supporting them nonetheless.

That word, kiddies, is: losers.

Here endeth the lesson.

Kent18 on February 13, 2012 at 1:48 AM

I’m a social con myself, so I have no interest whatsoever in voting for Romney.

I mean, who knows what operating system he’ll be running on after inauguration day? Centerist 7? Severe Conservative XP?

The reason I’m waving my preferences around though is that even I am shocked by the degree to which social conservative values drive the pie charts above. And I wonder if the pie charts would look like that had the President not chosen to treat the First Amendment like a doormat to wipe his feet on.

Ed Snyder on February 13, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Wow, lotsa Fred Heads from ’08 in the survey.

I still have my FRED08 bumper sticker on my car’s trunk lid; I’m willing to put a Santorum sticker right under it.

electric-rascal on February 13, 2012 at 3:12 AM

How about adding a “Someone Else” or a “Brokered Convention” option to the next poll?

Asking us to vote for Romney, Santorum, Gingrich, or Paul (the guys actually running) is like asking us to choose between a turd sandwich, a sh&t enchilada, a fecal wrap, or a diarrha burger. I’m not sure we want to put up one of those four when we have to take down the Grand Duece himself.

One other things – Mittbots sound like liberals (surprising, I know) when they tell us how well educated they are. I could put my educational background up against anyone’s, but I have never felt the need to use it as an argument for or against a specific candidate. If intellectual snobbery is the best rationale someone can come up with, they’re scraping the bottom of the barrel. Of course, intellectually limited people tend to do things like that when defending the indefensible.

DRayRaven on February 13, 2012 at 5:46 AM

jazzmo on February 12, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Speak for yourself. I do what my masters of The Establishment tell me to do:-)

MJBrutus on February 13, 2012 at 7:00 AM

Vote your conscience….I’ll vote mine.

Tim_CA on February 12, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Absolutely everyone should do just that.

What you should NOT do is pretend if you vote for anyone besides the GOP nominee – or for no one – you are in effect voting for Obama. It’s your right to do it, but not to pretend you aren’t doing what you are doing.

If you are willing to face that fact, and not hide from your decision but take full responsibility for it, do as you feel you must.

Adjoran on February 13, 2012 at 7:05 AM

56% vote against Sanitorium.

crash72 on February 13, 2012 at 7:26 AM

Missed participating in this poll, as in polls past. Sorry about that.

Lourdes on February 13, 2012 at 7:30 AM

56% vote against Sanitorium.

crash72 on February 13, 2012 at 7:26 AM

The Gingrich supporters tend to dislike Santorum and for reasons they won’t address (most, anyway, I’m sure there are some who do, will, have, I’m speaking generally here about my own experiences with a dozen or so who I’ve tried interacting with).

I’ve been maligned in a relatively sick fashion by some Gingrich supporters who claim to be “Catholic” and claim in the same messages that I someone “can’t be Catholic” because I don’t support Gingrich.

I’ve then asked them if “Catholic” is their criteria, why aren’t they supporting Santorum and they’ve dispersed at that point or become relatively word-violent.

So the internet continues to be the playground of a lot of strange people, who I think are mostly Leftwing claiming to be something else. Those types never like Santorum for his actually Conservative positions on social issues, same as they malign Romney for the same reason.

Lourdes on February 13, 2012 at 7:33 AM

Everyone hates Mitt lol

davemason2k on February 12, 2012 at 6:38 PM

No, I think those who “hate” are mostly all Liberals, the Left.

Lourdes on February 13, 2012 at 7:35 AM

liberal4life on February 12, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Palin doesn’t own “Conservative.” It’s not a perspective she invented or manufactured or somehow contrived or created. She may think she controls that perspective, but she doesn’t.

Lourdes on February 13, 2012 at 7:36 AM

Lourdes on February 13, 2012 at 7:36 AM

Maybe not, but the rest of us know conservative when we see it. And Willard is anything but.

DRayRaven on February 13, 2012 at 7:47 AM

This is probably the scariest article I have read. If Rick Santorum is the candidate, we ALL LOSE!!!! Man does not have the credentials, experience or ability to lead this country. Obama will win hands down.

Republicans….are current slate of candidates are possibly the biggest joke in history….no winners, all losers. The Dems must be jumping with joy.

phoebe1 on February 13, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Republicans….the current slate of candidates are possibly the biggest joke in history….no winners, all losers. The Dems must be jumping with joy.

phoebe1 on February 13, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Wow.

So, I guess a lot of HA Readers don’t like Romney. I had no idea. ;-)

I am thinking this thing will come down to Super Tuesday. If someone wins a majority of states that day, it will pretty much be wrapped up. (You are welcome for that incredibly unique and original, outside-of-the-box analysis).

My gut instinct and my Reason-ater are still in agreement that Romney is out best bet in the general.

If Santorum gets the nomination, I will vote for him (though, I think he will be a harder sell to the population at large).

If Gingrich gets the nomination, I will vote for him (I’m just not sure he will be able to keep it together and avoid Nuclear Newt after O’s minions really lay into him).

If Hell freezes over and Paul gets the nomination, I will vote for him (who knows? Maybe tin-foil hats will come into fashion).

If Romney gets the nomination, I will vote for him (and will hope that my time will be spent trying to convince non-political folks that he is better than Obama…rather than fighting tooth and nail with my fellow Righties).

All four of these gentlemen represent the chance to have this country governed in a Center-Right manner. They each have a different “brand” of Conservatism. None is perfect. None is the embodiment of Captain Mr. Super Ultra-Conservative. None is a Reagan-esque vessel for spreading acceptance of Conservatism.

But, maybe right now, we don’t need Reagan.

What we need is to remove Obama from the White House, enlarge a Republican majority in the House, and take back the Senate. At the same time, we need the Conservative Wave of 2010 to continue in state and local elections.

As far as the White House goes, I simply want someone as President who will recognize that Washington DC is broken. I believe the best person to start to fix the Federal Government is Romney.

But whatever happens, I look forward to getting past all the vitriol and getting back to non-emotional constructive discission with my fellow Conservatives. :-)

RightWay79 on February 13, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Let’s remember that the democrats don’t want a repeat of 2010 and want to stop any conservative surges. Hence the rush to crown Romney – he’d be a win, win for the democrats. He’ll lose the general election and if by some freak of nature he’d squeak thru, whatever influence the democrats have in Congress they’ll rally together to stop him and Romney will cave as he did in Massachusetts. Of course he’s being labeled as the ultimate conservative and will do permanent damage either way. At least with Rick Santorum, we know he’d stick by his conservative principles no matter what. That is the democrats’ worse nightmare.

mozalf on February 13, 2012 at 9:06 AM

mozalf on February 13, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Romney is likely to lose to Obama. Santorum is certain to lose. He’s an absolute joke, and he’s not the Democrats’ worst nightmare. He’s their wet dream.

This is the worst slate of candidates imaginable, and all four suck. I’m focusing on the downticket elections, but I won’t pull the lever for any of these clowns. The problem is, whichever winds up winning the nomination will be a drag on everyone else and make the downticket efforts that much harder.

DRayRaven on February 13, 2012 at 9:18 AM

DRayRaven on February 13, 2012 at 9:18 AM

That’s why I’m going with Santorum. We have to start somewhere instead of recycling the same old, same old. At least we’d have a fighting chances with his conservative principles over the others and against Obama. They’re already starting to float around Jeb Bush as the next in line and instead we just keep going backwards. My nose hurts from holding it so much. I want a candidate I can vote for, not one we hope we’ll drag across the finish line. Especially when they push him to nominate a “conservative” VP to prop him up again.

mozalf on February 13, 2012 at 9:24 AM

One important point to consider…

My history teacher said a wise thing my junior year in high school. He said the most important thing a president can do is appoint Supreme Court judges. I tend to agree with him.

That said, who would pick better Supreme Court judges: Romney or Santorum?

Darksean on February 13, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Basilsbest on February 13, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Ahhh, well, that ought to change my mind pronto. We undumaeducated clingers want to votes for someone else who despises us.

Portia46 on February 13, 2012 at 9:39 AM

jazzmo on February 12, 2012 at 9:30 PM

As opposed to the Mitt supporters who call the ones not supporting him “biggots”, more of an “adult” name for you to use?
Romney spend record amount of money in Florida to decimate a candidates name…a record amount of money, with literally hundreds of ads aimed at just personal attacks…and you want everyone else to not attack….good grief, at least be honest, Mitt set the tone of the campaign in Iowa, and Florida, and his little minions picked up the theme and carried to their posts…they were the most vile of all.

right2bright on February 13, 2012 at 9:42 AM

DRayRaven on February 13, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Yeah, sure, and you never voted democrat in your life, but this time…

Actually, this is probably one of the strongest group of candidates, each one having strengths…and surprise, leaders who have actually led, worked, made decisions, also make mistakes…which of course are magnified.

Each one is making the other accountable, and the one who wins will win the election…despite your faux indignation.

You weren’t going to vote for any Republican nominees, were you…be honest.

right2bright on February 13, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Basilsbest on February 13, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Let’s see:
Romney: MBA
Rick: MBA

Romney: Doctor of Jurisprudence
Rick: Doctor of Jurisprudence

Romney: Attorney…no never passed the bar
Rick: Attorney, passed the bar

Hey, Basilbest, welcome to the Rick supporters…

right2bright on February 13, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Lourdes on February 13, 2012 at 7:33 AM

I’m sorry, but I do NOT believe this. Does anyone out there have friends who are Roman Catholic who would vote FOR a candidate because the candidate belongs to their church? This is a peculiar trait amongst Mormons, not Catholics. I have a dear friend who attends Newt’s church in McLean VA—she is not supporting him.

Portia46 on February 13, 2012 at 9:49 AM

If anyone feels it is imperative to get rid of Obama, Gingrich would be a disaster in the general, and Santorum regrettably doesn’t pass the risk-reward test, either.

Santorum does not have the money, infrastructure, organization, grass roots support, or crossover appeal necessary to win a general election campaign. His congressional voting record would be picked to death — a huge negative of nominating any Republican (Dole, McCain) who served in Congress.

Romney is the only conservative in the race who has the money to match Obama dollar for dollar and, further, appeal to millions of independents, seniors, soccer Moms and discerning Dems who simply want a plausible alternative to Obama. Neither Gingrich nor Santorum pass that test.

When Romney states that he has never worked in DC, it is not only true: it is a huge plus in the general election. Like Reagan, Romney can run AGAINST DC — this is big with independents. Neither Rick nor Newt have that advantage; they will be villified as insiders by Obama.

In a more perfect world, I would support Santorum as well. But this election is too critical to take a risk on ANY long-shot.

matthew8787 on February 13, 2012 at 9:52 AM

jazzmo on February 12, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Yes, thank you. Now you will be challenged by the 24-7 anti-Romney trolls, who will claim that you called them names first. And that Romney supporters deserve to be called names because Mitt has run negative ads, and after all, that is the worst. crime. evah.

Hopefully, this will all end with a nominee who can win the White House and ensure a GOP congress.

Priscilla on February 13, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Darksean: both Romney and Santorum would nominate strict constructionists to the bench. Romney will be on a short leash with the conservative base, and would make damned sure his appointments are stellar conservatives.

Did you know that Robert Bork is leading the Romney judicial selection panel?

matthew8787 on February 13, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Yeah, sure, and you never voted democrat in your life, but this time…

You weren’t going to vote for any Republican nominees, were you…be honest.

right2bright on February 13, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Want to know what you can do with your conjecture about my voting history? You can shove it up there to share space with your brain next time you’re sitting on the toilet.

As for the rest of your blather, I guess most Republicans are unhappy with this field because it’s so strong they have a tough time making up their minds, right?

It seems to me that, between you and me, I’m the one who cares most about beating Obama. If you cared, you’d be upset that these four are all we have to choose from. Or maybe you’re just so pig-ignorant about politics you think one of these clowns has a chance against Obama and the MSM. Have fun with that one, champ.

DRayRaven on February 13, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Mitt set the tone…and his little minions picked up the theme and carried to their posts…they were the most vile of all.

right2bright on February 13, 2012 at 9:42 AM

I, of course cannot speak for any of the other people who have been supporting Romney here, but my experience has been almost opposite of what you describe.

By nature I am a push-over Peace Maker, so I try not to be inciteful, rude, or unfairly unkind. I will accept that perhaps those who came before me set the tone… but, from the moment I started posting here recently, whenever I mention my support for Romney, the claws come out (as it were).

I am called un-Conservative or worse. Referred to as a Mittbot or worse.

Granted, it’s not everyone who does this. But, to be honest, i was taken aback at the level of unkindness I have seen in the comments here.

In any case… I am REALLY looking forward for this Primary to be over so that (whoever the nominee is) we can (hopefully) get to a more balanced and less vitriolic banter/discussion here.

RightWay79 on February 13, 2012 at 10:03 AM

I is a undocumented diploma ignoramus bigot severely conservative an’ I loves Mittens cause he be’s the only one what is able to beat Obama. I know this be’s true fer all the smart fellers tells me Mittens kin walk on wet water to the white house.

they lie on February 13, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Good ad by Newt (all positive):

Looks like the text came from Newt’s Iowa Faith and Freedom speech. You know, the forum Mitt skipped.

Y-not on February 13, 2012 at 10:14 AM

matthew8787 on February 13, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Well said Matthew

rich801 on February 13, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Romney will be on a short leash with the conservative base

And the base will have zero control over him once elected.

Remember Bush 43? He was much more conservative then Romney, and he still tried to force through amnesty and Harriet Myers.

Note that *by nature* President Santorum would do neither.

Romney disagrees with conservatives on most of the major issues of the day:

Amnesty
AGW
Strict Constructionist judges
Health Care Mandates
Entitlement Reform
Abortion
and on and on..

I do not believe we could keep a President Romney constrained on most of the issues I listed, let alone all of them, let alone get him to fight for the conservative position on the issue…

Santorum disagrees with conservatives on Earmarks…and that’s about it. Yeah, he went along with Bush on his compassionate conservative stuff, but he was also one of the most serious Republicans about SS reform, reformed welfare, and was part of the government shutdown.

It is a pretty easy choice from my perspective.

18-1 on February 13, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Agreed.

jazzmo on February 12, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Wait, what? You lament the infighting this election has caused, and then you join in on that very same infighting by lecturing those of us who don’t support Romney and the status quo and calling them Obama supporters? Hypocrisy much?

Dunedainn on February 13, 2012 at 10:29 AM

matthew8787 on February 13, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Please list all of Romney’s Conservative accomplishments.

kingsjester on February 13, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Please list all of Romney’s Conservative accomplishments.

kingsjester on February 13, 2012 at 10:31 AM

kings, remember it’s because he’s said he’s “severely conservative”. So that’s the deal breaker. And the only reason he hasn’t worked in Washington DC is because he lost all those elections and couldn’t make it there. Otherwise, he’d have been at the head of the pack of insiders. If it’s Romney, we’re “severely” screwed.

mozalf on February 13, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Dunedainn on February 13, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Saw something like this the other day. It’s as if the GOP has totally forgone the primary process in some quarters.

“Only my guy can win, so therefore I’ve proved you just need to concede and support him too. Because … only my guy can beat Obama. And if you don’t support my guy, you support Obama.”

hawkdriver on February 13, 2012 at 10:35 AM