Video: Dispatches from Bitter America

posted at 12:50 pm on February 11, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

I’ve spent the week in Washington DC at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC), which is a lot of work — but a lot of fun.  I get to meet a lot of people and get a few of them on camera, and one of the most fun interviews was Todd Starnes, author of Dispatches from Bitter America: A Gun Toting, Chicken Eating Son of a Baptist’s Culture War Stories, his new book about his travels through Barack Obama’s America.  Todd admits on camera that he is a chicken genocidist (presumably helped by KFC and Popeye’s), and his book contains a whimsical passage about what kind of trial he could expect from the Obama administration. He also tells me that his book has been banned in five Brooklyn bookstores because it doesn’t promote “tolerance,” which is a teachable moment of irony everywhere but Flatbush, apparently. We also seriously discuss the Obama disconnect to middle America shown in the HHS mandate, a conversation that took place before yesterday’s “accommodation” was announced.

Todd has a regular Fox gig for commentary, so be sure to check out his website for more entertaining and trenchant commentary. He’s a real son of a Baptist, and we’ll have to convince him to show up on TEMS every once in a while.

Comments

Good looking guy on the left huh Bishop?

KOOLAID2 on February 11, 2012 at 12:53 PM

The home computer is faster!

KOOLAID2 on February 11, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Stop me!

KOOLAID2 on February 11, 2012 at 12:56 PM

What do I do?

KOOLAID2 on February 11, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Help!

KOOLAID2 on February 11, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Ed, great to say hi again at CPAC. I never imagined seeing the word Flatbush in one of your posts. There’s a lot banned in Brooklyn–please come visit and I’ll show you.

ParisParamus on February 11, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Make it stop!

KOOLAID2 on February 11, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Thanks!

KOOLAID2 on February 11, 2012 at 12:58 PM

dude?!

ted c on February 11, 2012 at 12:58 PM

if ‘middle America’ is disconnected from the Pill mandate then middle America is dwindling to alarming proportions for the GOP.

freshface on February 11, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Help!

KOOLAID2 on February 11, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Sorry, had to watch the video first. No, not “First!”

Fallon on February 11, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Ed is on CPAC right now!!

Cindy Munford on February 11, 2012 at 1:01 PM

CPAC is nothing more than a pep rally. When was the last time you saw a pep rally make a difference? I graduated from an SEC school that had a football team in the basement every year as far as standings went. We, too, had a pep rally most every Friday night. We lost the game the next day. CPAC reminds me of those days.

Enjoy your pep rally but wake me when a difference is being made.

gasmeterguy on February 11, 2012 at 1:06 PM

What an interesting premise–traveling around everyday US and recording unedited middle class America…tolerance and pol correct be damned. We need a good dose of who we really are because we seem to be caught in some homogenized, media driven time warp. We are no longer ‘ourselves’ because we’ve been told that ourselves is lacking in so many ways and we’ve forgotten who we are and all our once welcome vagaries anyhow. Ihope it turns out as good as it sounds.

jeanie on February 11, 2012 at 1:13 PM

…doesn’t promote tolerance and diversity.

As used, those are now firmly established code words for totalitarian orthodoxy.

Kenosha Kid on February 11, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Everyone out to lunch ?

Lucano on February 11, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Glad books are burnedbanned in Brooklyn.

Now the Virigin Mary with Poop on it… BOMA loved it!

Odie1941 on February 11, 2012 at 1:20 PM

I am not ‘bitter’!

I’m saucy and piquant!

Jack Deth on February 11, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I enjoyed the panel Ed!!!

Cindy Munford on February 11, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Wouldn’t you think that in America today, where a large chain bookstore just went out of business, and where bookstores are at a continual losing war against amazon.com (which is basically why Borders went under) that the owners of these establishments would have better sense to do crap like this?

radjah shelduck on February 11, 2012 at 1:48 PM

That was a fun interview. Starnes is a real hoot, and he uses humor in a good way to get his point across.

simkeith on February 11, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Thanks Ed… was on Amazon to order Levin’s book & after reading the reviews added this book to the cart.

redridinghood on February 11, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Enjoy your pep rally but wake me when a difference is being made.

gasmeterguy on February 11, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Likeminded people aren’t supposed to get together, enjoy each others company, and discuss strategies and ideas?

Maybe you should go get invovled at the local, state, or federal level. And people need to put money where their mouth is. Without activism, the conservative narrative is written completely by the LSM.

tom daschle concerned on February 11, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Sorry. Not bitter. I wouldn’t be any good at it — so I don’t even try.

My collie says:

Willard told me that he is SEVERELY bitter.

CyberCipher on February 11, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Paraphrasing, that Obama has declared war on Christians,.. I know that the athiests, and leftists roll their eyes at this, but from many of us, it sure as Hell seems that way. That sense, isn’t affected much because the cynical smirk about it, if anything, it heightens that feeling. It’s not like the left and radical secularist athiests, aren’t deeply hostile to Christians already, so they snark isn’t very credible. They’d love it if Christianity were outlawed. That couldn’t happen,… today,.. but these people plan long term, and their open taunt, your children will belong to us, isn’t an empty one.. They really think they can get to them through school and the entertainment media.

Only the ignorant and willfully blind can’t see that war being waged.

Obama just slapped a very raw nerve, and there is no reserve of trust for him to use as cover. Hell we have athiests, agnostics and the strick partisans of other faiths attacking Mitt’s Mormon faith,.. we have the same type of coalition going after Santorum,..

and when the leftwing media piles on, it gets worse.

It used to be, people just let the faithful follow their faith, and respected that pursuit. Now, if the athiests aren’t hammering us, other denominations are and it’s not helping build tolerance for them either.

The guys I ran with in the service, two young Mormons, sowing their wild oats, a Roman Catholic, and me raised a Seventh Day Adventist.. sometimes labeled a Jew by the ignorant, because our sabboth is on Saturday. We never attacked each others faith, sometimes shared our differences, but never in a hostile way,.. maybe it was because we were all in the same squad, in a security unit, and our shared color was Air Force Blue..

But I really don’t get the rank hostility to Christains these days..

The kids listening to hip hop and death metal are much more likely to cause people harm, or join an Occupy group than any kid who goes to church..

and no one on the left, or secular media attack them..

mark81150 on February 11, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Fortunately the Luddites in that city are unaware of the largest book seller in possibly the world, amazon.com and we are fortunate that obama has not issued an executive censorship order. That is reserved for his second term.

dunce on February 12, 2012 at 2:27 PM