Sarah Palin at CPAC: The door is open …

posted at 6:15 pm on February 11, 2012 by Tina Korbe

In a CPAC keynote speech filled with applause lines and momentarily interrupted by hecklers, Sarah Palin refrained from endorsing any of the current GOP presidential candidates and instead repeated her calls for a long primary.

“We’ve all heard we have to wrap it up, but in America, we believe competition leads to victory,” she said.

At the same time, she urged conservatives to stick together no matter what.

“We’re not red and blue Americans; we’re red, white and blue — and, President Obama, we are through with you,” she said. (It sounded a little like a Valentine’s Day card in reverse.)

She hit the unity theme throughout, at one point saying: “The left may smear our records or attack our families [but] we can’t let the left divide the next campaign. We must stand together as conservatives. For the sake of our country, we must stand united, no matter who our nominee is.”

Her speech itself furnished an immediate example of turning liberal enmity into conservative unity. When a smattering of Occupiers chanted, “We are the 99 percent,” the CPAC audience shouted them down with “USA! USA! USA!” — and, shortly thereafter, “Sarah! Sarah! Sarah!”

The former Alaska governor — who frequently appears on national TV before a natural background that looks pretty remote from D.C. — really hit her stride midspeech as she denounced “the permanent political class” and knocked the District.

“Often, politicians come to D.C. denouncing it, but, after a year, they decide it’s not a cesspool, but a hot tub,” she said to laughter.

It’s up to voters to drain the jacuzzi, she said, before she declared that the grassroots will do just that — by sending more Tea Partiers to Congress.

“This time, Establishment,” she said (and I’m pretty sure she looked sternly over her glasses at just that moment), “we expect them to get leadership positions in Congress.”

Her closing sentiment? “The door is open.” It’s hard not to find that sentence provocative — especially given that she repeated it throughout the speech — but she seemed to have meant it in the sense that the door is open to defeat Barack Obama and to take back the nation. The crowd considered the alternate meaning, too, though, to judge by chants of “Run, Sarah, run!”  Who knows what might happen before this long primary ends?

At any rate, Palin’s unrivaled ability to rally a crowd was definitely on display; she drew more standing ovations than at least one gal could count. It was red meat to the base — a reiteration that conservatives stand on the shoulders of the Founders, that we have solutions to the fiscal problems that face our nation, that we have a better jobs plan than the president (“It’s called the free market!”), that we can achieve energy independence, etc., etc., etc. — and the audience loved it.

Update: Video courtesy of The Right Scoop! Forget to tip my hat to the hard-working folks there, and I apologize for that.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 14 15 16

OK Bmore – Here is your 1500 – *wipes brow*

To end on a positive note, everyone, including the cranky ones, are terrific Americans, and this weekend was an uplifting one for all here I am sure.

Gnite

DoubleClutchin on February 13, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Oh man, Spark plug jumped my post, – dude…. alas, 1501

DoubleClutchin on February 13, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Leave it to Sarah to get patriotic Americans excited. She leaves the rest in the dust because they just do not have the beliefs of their convictions that Sarah maintains to this day.

No matter how badly the winner of the GOP primary does, it is the Americans that fell for the Democrat, GOP elitist, and MSM propaganda that did us all a real disservice.

Remember that when you hold your nose to vote this year.

DannoJyd on February 13, 2012 at 4:58 AM

Remember that when you hold your nose to vote this year.

DannoJyd on February 13, 2012 at 4:58 AM

If it is Santorum, I won’t have to hold my nose. But as much as I like him as a person, he still doesn’t inspire the joy and optimism a vote for Sarah would have.

pannw on February 13, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Dying thread. We won’t make it on this one. Something tells me there will be others. The total is all of the days Palin threads were combined are 3854 and still headed well north of that.

Bmore on February 13, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Bmore on February 13, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Aww…I know; it’s disappointing isn’t it? But they just had to throw those other threads up and ‘spread the wealth around’!! I have rather enjoyed seeing Sarah’s bright face splashed all over the site though. I’ve missed it.

pannw on February 13, 2012 at 11:55 AM

pannw on February 13, 2012 at 11:55 AM

That is the upside. ; )

Bmore on February 13, 2012 at 12:55 PM

pannw on February 13, 2012 at 11:55 AM

That is the upside. ; )
Bmore on February 13, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Mmmmmmmmmmm . . . . . . “upside” . . . . . . . : )

listens2glenn on February 13, 2012 at 2:03 PM

pannw on February 13, 2012 at 11:55 AM

That is the upside. ; )
Bmore on February 13, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Mmmmmmmmmmm . . . . . . “upside” . . . . . . . : )

listens2glenn on February 13, 2012 at 2:03 PM

LOL You are BAD!!! As a woman, my enjoyment is for different reasons, but I can fully understand. I know you also respect her for her mind. ;)

pannw on February 13, 2012 at 3:00 PM

pannw on February 13, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Now, now, don’t lump me in with listens2glenn, I enjoy her most for her core values and spirit. The looks thing is icing on a well baked cake. Tasty yes, but made of good solid ingredients, besides my preference is blondes. listens2glenn is a great guy however.

Bmore on February 13, 2012 at 3:41 PM

listens2glenn is a great guy however.

Bmore on February 13, 2012 at 3:41 PM

NO, DON’T LISTEN TO Bmore !
I’M ONE OF THE WORST INFLUENCES HERE !
YOU NEED TO AVOID ME AT ALL COST !

listens2glenn on February 13, 2012 at 4:47 PM

pannw on February 13, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Dittoes.

I remember the exciting times back when Newt took back the House for us. He endured the criticism and back stabbing from the GOP elitists, the tar and feathering of him via the liberal press, and still won his battles against the liberals in Washington.

I’ll vote for Santorum, but I certainly won’t be doing him any favors. He will have to take on everyone in Washington once he is POTUS, and I think he’ll have a nervous breakdown before summer.

Electing a weak republican won’t do the party much good either.

DannoJyd on February 13, 2012 at 11:01 PM

pannw on February 13, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Dittoes.
DannoJyd on February 13, 2012 at 11:01 PM

It’s UNANIMOUS. : )

IF . . . there’s still a chance to go with Sarah, we go with Sarah.

Otherwise, it’s Santorum.