Quotes of the day

posted at 8:15 pm on February 11, 2012 by Allahpundit

“The caucuses in Maine—population 1.3 million—are usually given scant attention by presidential candidates and the national media alike. But with the Republican nomination unsettled, Romney and Paul both built organization and made campaign appearances and media buys here. Romney spent last night in Portland, the hub of the state’s most populous and affluent region, where he held a rally at a waterfront boat yard. Paul, who spent two days here at the end of January, flew in from Texas this morning to attend caucuses in southern Maine.

“‘All of a sudden our routine, low-key caucus process over several weeks turned into a sprint to the finish,’ says former Republican state senator Phil Harriman, a political commentator on Portland television and radio stations. ‘With Rick Santorum’s success last week, Romney strategically needed to win Maine.’”

***

“Mitt Romney met privately with a group of conservative activists and opinion leaders Thursday, on the eve of his speech to the Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington. In a wide-ranging discussion, a number of participants urged Romney to refrain from attacking rival Rick Santorum with the scorched-earth intensity that he directed at Newt Gingrich…

“‘He said Rick has to be held up to the same scrutiny as everyone else,’ says one meeting participant. (This account is based on conversations with three people who were in the room.) Romney specifically mentioned hitting Santorum on his record on earmarks and other federal spending.

“It’s not clear whether Romney’s answer satisfied the group. In general, a number of participants don’t want to see a repeat of the Romney-Gingrich attacks because a) they feel Santorum doesn’t deserve it, and b) they believe the negativity has been bad for Republicans overall. Romney told the group that the attacks on Gingrich were not his doing but rather the work of the super PAC that works on Romney’s behalf but not under his control.”

***

“Turning to this year’s election, and clearly alluding to Romney, the former Pennsylvania senator asked: ‘Why would an undecided voter vote for a candidate of the party who the party’s not excited about?’…

“The address and his campaign’s line of attack this week makes clear that Romney’s plan is to target Santorum’s decades in Congress and his decision to remain in the capital after his 2006 defeat — in other words, to effectively do to Santorum what the campaign did to Gingrich in Florida.

“In a brief exchange with reporters after his speech Friday, Santorum sought to highlight the limitations of such a strategy.

“Hopefully, people have already figured out that Gov. Romney going out and just slamming and slashing and burning whoever is in front of him is not going to be a particularly effective tactic to beat Barack Obama,” said the former senator, arguing that money won’t be decisive in the fall.

***

“As an organism, the Romney campaign always attacks when threatened, and Santorum’s victories in Missouri, Minnesota, and Colorado were threatening…

“The three-state parlay highlighted not just Santorum’s strengths, but Romney’s structural weaknesses. At the most elemental level, it remains true that Mitt Romney’s greatest challenge is winning votes. He has now lost elections to five different rivals over the course of his career. The last presumptive presidential nominee to have lost to so many opponents was Richard Nixon, and his losses were offset by a large number of electoral victories. Whatever Romney’s personal, moral, and intellectual merits, he has stood before voters more than two dozen times now. And they have nearly always expressed a preference for the other fellow—no matter who the other fellow is…

“More worrisome, though, is what the results—particularly in Minnesota and Colorado—suggest about Romney’s infrastructure. When a campaign can’t keep track of a few thousand core supporters from one election cycle to the next, motivate them, and get them to the polls in a small caucus environment, there are only two explanations: Either the organization is incompetent, or the supporters have had second thoughts.”

***

“Mr. Santorum will not be as easy a mark for Mr. Romney as someone like Mr. Gingrich. The results in Florida had seemed to suggest that Mr. Romney could win a state any time he wanted to by blanketing it with advertising dollars. But almost all of those ads were negative, and almost all of them attacked Mr. Gingrich — most of them on his personal failings like his resignation from Congress and his ties to Freddie Mac.

“Mr. Romney’s attacks on Mr. Santorum, by contrast, have focused on more venial sins: that he is a ‘career politician’ who defended earmarks.

“Meanwhile, Mr. Santorum closed strongly and outperformed his polls in several states so far, including Iowa, Colorado, Minnesota, Missouri and South Carolina (where he was projected to place fourth by the polls but finished in third). That could indicate that voters like Mr. Santorum the more they get to know him — indeed, his favorability ratings are strong among Republican voters — or that his supporters are more enthusiastic. Either quality would be an asset going forward, allowing him to win his share of close calls against Mr. Romney.”

***

“Romney, who treated Iowa as a tie, is treating Maine as a great victory. ‘It is time to send a conservative outsider to Washington,’ he said in statement thanking Maine. The phrase — ‘conservative outsider’ — is reminiscent of George W. Bush renaming himself ‘a reformer with results’ in 2000 after campaign finance reformer John McCain beat him by nearly 20 points in the New Hampshire primary.

“In both cases the labels carry some truth; Bush was an education reform crusader and Romney has never worked in Washington. That is not for lack of trying, given Romney’s 1994 Senate race and 2008 presidential bid. Still, Romney’s background is a contrast with Santorum’s 16 years in the House and Senate, and Gingrich’s House career capped by his speakership.

“The re-branding worked for Bush. For all the superficial, narrow and conditional aspects of his latest victories, Romney has a better shot at making his work now than he did before Saturday.”

***

“‘We can’t afford to have low voter turnout in the general election, and that is all the more reason for Romney to really start connecting more with conservatives,’ [Palin] said…

“She also welcomed the possibility of a brokered convention in Tampa.

“‘I don’t think that it would be a negative for the party, a brokered convention,’ she said. ‘And people who start screaming that a brokered convention is the worst thing for the GOP, they have an agenda. They have their own personal or political reasons for their own candidate, who they would like to see protected away from a brokered convention. That’s part of the competition, that’s part of the process. And it may happen.’”

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

OK, slightly paler than usual white woman, good night and have a happy tomorrow!

Igor R. on February 12, 2012 at 2:45 AM

I am a normal color!!!!

cynccook on February 12, 2012 at 2:47 AM

I’m out, too. Goodnight Good Hotairers!

cynccook on February 12, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Some of Romney’s criticisms of Santorum are fair, and some are not. While Santorum should get a pass on some of his pro-union votes, as Romney should on some of his record in Massachusetts, due to the nature of the state, Rick did vote against allowing ANY waivers from Davis-Bacon, which forces union wages on every federal project, running up costs and giving union contractors a big advantage in bidding.

The worst is attacking him for voting to raise the debt ceiling. It appeals to the idiots in the base who don’t realize it is only paying the credit card bill – the damage is done in the spending, not in the paying for it. And President Romney will need the debt ceiling raised a few times, too, even if he is able to drastically cut the budget over his term, because so much deficit spending has already been signed into law.

I’m with Santorum on earmarks, because they also do NOT add a penny to the budget, they just direct how appropriate funds must be spent. Eliminating them hands more discretion to the Executive, it doesn’t save anything. The problem with earmarks is when they are inserted outside the normal open committee hearing process, that is what should be outlawed. But Congress has the right and the duty to specify how some funds should be spent.

On overall spending, Santorum is weak. He is a prototypical “compassionate conservative” who votes for lots of domestic spending. He is most vulnerable on this, and Romney would be nuts not to point it out to conservatives convinced Rick is as pure as they wish he was.

Adjoran on February 12, 2012 at 2:48 AM

predator on February 12, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Yeah, well, what the hell is a ‘culcha vulcha’?

Lanceman on February 12, 2012 at 2:48 AM

Oh, man. You really committed to that, didn’t you? What I want to know is why you have an unremarkable and unfriendly cat. Did it inherit millions of dollars and are you its paid caretaker? That would explain so many things…

cynccook on February 12, 2012 at 2:46 AM

It was a cute tiny kitten that grew up to be a not very friendly cat, that’s all there is to it.

Igor R. on February 12, 2012 at 2:48 AM

I am a normal color!!!!

cynccook on February 12, 2012 at 2:47 AM

I have severe pasty white-itis. Is that a normal color?

predator on February 12, 2012 at 2:49 AM

Yeah, well, what the hell is a ‘culcha vulcha’?

Lanceman on February 12, 2012 at 2:48 AM

I think ‘culture vulture’ spoken in a funny accent. Now, goodnight!

cynccook on February 12, 2012 at 2:49 AM

Yeah, well, what the hell is a ‘culcha vulcha’?

Lanceman on February 12, 2012 at 2:48 AM

It’s a misspelling of some South African locales.

Igor R. on February 12, 2012 at 2:49 AM

Igor R. on February 12, 2012 at 2:48 AM

Did you know that people read this in the morning?

cynccook on February 12, 2012 at 2:49 AM

It’s a misspelling of some South African locales.

Igor R. on February 12, 2012 at 2:49 AM

What??? No.

cynccook on February 12, 2012 at 2:50 AM

I am a normal color!!!!

cynccook on February 12, 2012 at 2:47 AM

OK strong black woman, now good night for reals!

Igor R. on February 12, 2012 at 2:50 AM

OK strong black woman, now good night for reals!

Igor R. on February 12, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Obtuse one, slumber well.

cynccook on February 12, 2012 at 2:51 AM

Well I once made fun of Mrs_Pauls_Fish_Sticks and she never came back and I feel bad about that.

But I’ve been chuckling to myself about this culcha vulcha business…

Lanceman on February 12, 2012 at 2:52 AM

Yeah, well, what the hell is a ‘culcha vulcha’?

Lanceman on February 12, 2012 at 2:48 AM

Culture vulture with a city accent is my guess. I like it, whatever it is.

I think it shares my hunger for flesh, so we are kindred in that regard.

predator on February 12, 2012 at 2:52 AM

I know what the hell a ladysmith is. That’s a broad’s handgun.

Lanceman on February 12, 2012 at 2:53 AM

Igor R. on February 12, 2012 at 2:52 AM

You always have to have the last word, don’t you? And by jiggery, you’re right, too!

cynccook on February 12, 2012 at 2:53 AM

But I’ve been chuckling to myself about this culcha vulcha business…

Lanceman on February 12, 2012 at 2:52 AM

I think I used to see that name over at Ace when I was hanging out there.

predator on February 12, 2012 at 2:54 AM

I think I used to see that name over at Ace when I was hanging out there.

predator on February 12, 2012 at 2:54 AM

There’s an African singing group: http://www.mambazo.com/

cynccook on February 12, 2012 at 2:55 AM

Paul Simon made them famous…

cynccook on February 12, 2012 at 2:56 AM

Whenever I see culcha vulcha, I’m reminded of Mike Myers’ ‘Linda Richman’ and kwoffee twalk’
Y’ know, we’ll have kwoffee and twalk,’y'know, no big whoop.

Lanceman on February 12, 2012 at 2:57 AM

My fav vampire flick, and in my opinion, one of the greatest movies ever made, was Bram Stoker’s Dracula.

predator on February 12, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Oh yes, M’Dear. If you’re speaking of the Gary Oldman incarnation, we are in utter agreement. It was beautiful, breathtakingly elegant, technically perfect. If mistakes were made in major casting, it can be forgiven by things like the role of Mina’s best friend who was about the most awesome vampire chick I think has ever been!

And the hewing to Bram Stoker’s original story–I mean 3 dudes jockeying for Mina’s hand (including the fella from Texas–holla!) instead of that usual fiction construct of Princely Vamp vs. Regular Guy.

Thanks for this conversation, Predator, and thank you for a delightful new outlet for vampire hungers.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on February 12, 2012 at 2:58 AM

Ladysmith=Mrs._Paul’s_Fishsticks?

It’s getting late. You’re tired and overwrought from your cerebral banter with I.R. Get some rest. Live to fight another day. We need you fresh and sharp for tomorrow.

predator on February 12, 2012 at 2:58 AM

Do it for the team.

predator on February 12, 2012 at 2:59 AM

Okay, quickly, so the morning people don’t think we’re a bunch of goofballs….

Mitt Romney seems insincere. “Severely conservative?” What does that even mean? Ummmm…Rick Santorum has high favorability ratings. Brokered convention seems unlikely.

Okay, night all!

cynccook on February 12, 2012 at 2:59 AM

Ladysmith=Mrs._Paul’s_Fishsticks?

predator on February 12, 2012 at 2:58 AM

I didn’t ay that. I said or I meant I kinna feel bad for making fun of the name BECAUSE I did that once (to M_P_F_S) and she never came back. It was wrong of me and I really do feel bad.
Now the scuzzbucket bradky on the other hand…

Lanceman on February 12, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on February 12, 2012 at 2:58 AM

You are most welcome, LCV. It’s been a pleasure. I’ll catch you on the rebound. I’m about to hit the rack. Until then.

And remember. The full moon is your friend.

predator on February 12, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Now the scuzzbucket bradky on the other hand…

Lanceman on February 12, 2012 at 3:01 AM

I was talking to cynccook on that one, Lanceman. But yeah, Bradky can bite it. I went round and round with him a week ago or so. He’s a putz. *with apologies to putzes everywhere*

Later buddy. Have a good night.

predator on February 12, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Well, da hell wit’ da lot of ya! I’m loaded and I thought this was a talkin’ thread!

Lanceman on February 12, 2012 at 3:06 AM

I’m here for a drive by pit stop and BRRRRRR, it is freezing outside…

OmahaConservative on February 12, 2012 at 3:06 AM

I’m here for a drive by pit stop and BRRRRRR, it is freezing outside…

OmahaConservative on February 12, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Fu*kin’ A, JOC. It’s posed to get down to 35 here in Whorelando by morning. Not good.

Lanceman on February 12, 2012 at 3:07 AM

No Lance, I mean freezing. Sub zero here. My piss froze as I peed…

OmahaConservative on February 12, 2012 at 3:13 AM

I think I used to see that name over at Ace when I was hanging out there.

predator on February 12, 2012 at 2:54 AM

I’m sorry, my dear. I’m not sure what or who an Ace is (except for poker in Vegas). Thenm you better not stand between me and a monster pot!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on February 12, 2012 at 3:19 AM

I wish Mitt Romney would be derailed so we can get a brokered convention and salvage 2012. Mitt Romney is doing worse in the caucus states than in 2008. I root for Mitt Romney to go away and take csdeven, Jailbreak, and his bots with him.

CoolChange80 on February 12, 2012 at 4:00 AM

All this blabber about Romney by many of these pundits wishing he would lose or look forward to having a brokered convention. how little they remember history. EVERY election cycle there are different nominees that win and lose multiple times and that has always worked out okay for the GOP.

Romney will be a great POTUS and will do fine against Obama. Frankly, I have been a big Palin fan but lately she is becoming irrelevant and destructive to the party as a whole. I believe this stems from her realizing that the only way for her to remain relevant is to continue to ride this brokered convention meme as it gets her in the press (i.e. liberal MSM which loves to watch us rip each other).

Go Romney!

g2825m on February 12, 2012 at 6:29 AM

I’d like to point out one thing I have been reading across the different columns that OUR press does that we complain about the MSM. I notice that to provide cover for Santorum when he loses a primary or caucus or even Gingrich in the past…OUR media bloggers will caveat it by saying “a state in which he did not campaign much in”…Well, when Romney lost in CO, MO, MN…states HE did not campaign much in either it was blasted out there that this a HUGE loss for Romney yada yada yada…See the double standard here. So because certain media types on our side who do not like Romney, ALL their stories are slanted this direction, yet, Santorum gets a pass.

I believe the reason why Santorum has done relatively well is because HIS RECORD has yet to be exposed and Paul and Romney are beginning to do this along with their Super PACs and people will see that Santorum was part of the problem in that he was a BIG spender while in Congress. THIS is what we are trying to get rid of in DC. I love Rick on the social issues but he WAS a big spender…and also he has NEVER had any Executive experience which should be a factor.

g2825m on February 12, 2012 at 6:46 AM

g2825m on February 12, 2012 at 6:29 AM

you forgot the sarc tag

mittens blows

DHChron on February 12, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Registered Republican Voters in Maine as of 11/2/11: 275,978

Number of votes cast in yesterday’s caucus: 5524

*shakes head*

Flora Duh on February 12, 2012 at 7:54 AM

great turnout :) mittens really inspires the troops

DHChron on February 12, 2012 at 8:02 AM

CoolChange80 on February 12, 2012 at 4:00 AM

This is The Establishment speaking. We have heard you piteous cries for a brokered convention. We The Establishment are pleased that you would desire such an event. After all, who do you suppose, but we The Establishment would sit in that back room pulling those levers of power? Do you imagine that The Establishment would even permit little people to know where are stronghold exists?

MJBrutus on February 12, 2012 at 8:06 AM

YES YES YES

Please let’s nominate ANOTHER SQUISHY, afraid of the media, self castrated Republican in the tradition of Dole and McCain and the Bushes.

…….and can we please nominate another nominee that will throw the Conservative base some BIG TALK candy but then grow the power, scope and size of the Federal Government?

Oh THAT would be positively delicious.

Signed—–just another hick, hayseed, rube from Flyover Country.

PappyD61 on February 12, 2012 at 8:07 AM

mittens blows

DHChron on February 12, 2012 at 7:47 AM

That is as rational, lucid and reasoned an explanation as I’ve heard from the ABR crowd.

MJBrutus on February 12, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Flora Duh on February 12, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Isn’t it a caucus? That forum doesn’t seem promote participation.

Cindy Munford on February 12, 2012 at 8:08 AM

MJBrutus on February 12, 2012 at 8:08 AM

hahahahaha…thanks! I worked hard on that one

DHChron on February 12, 2012 at 8:12 AM

“Whatever Romney’s personal, moral, and intellectual merits, he has stood before voters more than two dozen times now. And they have nearly always expressed a preference for the other fellow—no matter who the other fellow is…” The Weekly Standard

Here’s my shocked face: ;-´)
Now that both Ann Coulter and Andrew Breitbart have turned on the GOP and embraced Mittens, I guess the allegedly conservative blogs will have to carry the water for whom Republicans can vote.
That would be anyone but Willard.

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on February 12, 2012 at 8:16 AM

No Lance, I mean freezing. Sub zero here. My piss froze as I peed…

OmahaConservative on February 12, 2012 at 3:13 AM

OK. The thermometer was at 20 degrees when I got up at 7. Colder than expected. Watching local weather, we have a freeze warning until 9am.

Lanceman on February 12, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Willard McMittens has some great effin’ hair and that’s it.

so if you wanna go full O-bot stupid…vote mittens.

DHChron on February 12, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Lanceman on February 12, 2012 at 8:26 AM

We’ve been spoiled this year, I hope it doesn’t last long.

Cindy Munford on February 12, 2012 at 8:37 AM

MJBrutus on February 12, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Certainly it is the intellectual epitome of their rational in opposing him.

csdeven on February 12, 2012 at 8:45 AM

We’ve been spoiled this year, I hope it doesn’t last long.

Cindy Munford on February 12, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Just today and tomorrow. I like $175 electric bills in Jan.

Lanceman on February 12, 2012 at 8:46 AM

mittens blows

DHChron on February 12, 2012 at 7:47 AM

MJBrutus on February 12, 2012 at 8:08 AM

It’s every bit as rational and lucid as any explanation for PDS that I’ve come across.

ddrintn on February 12, 2012 at 8:49 AM

mittiots have a hard time admitting they’re stupid. whatevs.

I’ll gladly admit I’m a fool when I pull the lever for him in November.

DHChron on February 12, 2012 at 9:01 AM

MJBrutus on February 12, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Brevity is the soul of wit.

Cleombrotus on February 12, 2012 at 9:02 AM

mittens blows

DHChron on February 12, 2012 at 7:47 AM

MJBrutus on February 12, 2012 at 8:08 AM

The three-state parlay highlighted not just Santorum’s strengths, but Romney’s structural weaknesses. At the most elemental level, it remains true that Mitt Romney’s greatest challenge is winning votes. He has now lost elections to five different rivals over the course of his career. The last presumptive presidential nominee to have lost to so many opponents was Richard Nixon, and his losses were offset by a large number of electoral victories. Whatever Romney’s personal, moral, and intellectual merits, he has stood before voters more than two dozen times now. And they have nearly always expressed a preference for the other fellow—no matter who the other fellow is.

The bedrock argument for Romney has always been that, whatever his weaknesses at inspiring voters, his money and campaign infrastructure would eventually carry the nomination and make him a formidable challenger for President Obama. In fact, this is precisely the argument the Romney campaign made in a strategy memo last week, on the morning of the elections. (In response, Santorum strategist Hogan Gidley quipped, “I can’t wait to put a bumper sticker on my truck that says MONEY-INFRASTRUCTURE 2012.”)

ebrown2 on February 12, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Willard McMittens has some great effin’ hair and that’s it.

so if you wanna go full O-bot stupid…vote mittens.

DHChron on February 12, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Look more closely at the cheap Shinola dye job one of his sons always gives him the night before any appearance. How embarrassing.
If Mittens pays more than $20 for a haircut, he’s bein’ robbed. And those grey hairs at the temples are supposed to be flattering to the Elder.
(except the grey splotches keep changing)

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on February 12, 2012 at 10:37 AM

No matter who wins, I would like to see the next Republican President suggest legislation that would make it the law of the land that the federal government shall not interfere in commerce that occurs completely within a state. This would be legislation that addresses the Wickard v. Filburn ruling by the supreme court that expanded the commerce clause of the Constitution from regulating interstate commerce to regulation general economic activity of all sorts, even that taking place solely within a state.

That ruling was as a result of the Supreme Court’s interpretation of the commerce clause. The Legislative branch has within its authority the power to, in effect, nullify that ruling with an explicit clarification in federal legislation. That right there would greatly reduce the reach of the federal government into local issues.

crosspatch on February 12, 2012 at 5:43 PM