Poll: Minnesota voters support right to work referendum … 55/24

posted at 11:10 am on February 11, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

When Indiana passed its right-to-work law to become the 23rd state to adopt that position, Minnesota legislators passed a referendum for a constitutional amendment that would do the same in the Land of 10,000 Lakes.  The Republican-controlled legislators did that to bypass DFL Governor Mark Dayton, as a successful referendum would amend the constitution without his signature.  Dayton responded by calling the measure “extreme“:

“Who is extreme? Who’s extreme?” Dayton asked the group. “Right to work, come on folks. We’ve had Republican legislatures and Republican governors and nobody’s every run that one up to try to get a constitutional amendment….

“Employee freedom? Freedom to work for substandard wages? Look at the states that have right to work and compare their salary wage levels with states that don’t. The states that don’t have higher standards of living for their people. Better education systems. Better opportunity for people to at least negotiate for decent wages and retirement benefits and health care and the like.”

Who’s extreme?  Survey USA decided to poll on that question this week, after Indiana’s change gave the issue a higher profile — and it became clear who exactly are the extremists in this debate:

An amendment that would designate Minnesota as a “right to work” state is supported 2:1, backed by rich and poor, educated and less-educated.

The survey of 542 registered voters showed a margin of more than 2:1, at 55/24.  It wins majorities of both men and women, and wins all age demographics by majorities except seniors, which have a near-majority supporting it at 49/35.  Independents support the idea by a wider margin than overall, 57/27, and even a plurality of Democrats support it at 40/32.  In fact, even a slight plurality of liberals support the measure, 35/32, with moderates near a 2:1 ratio of support at 53/28.  All income levels have wide pluralities or majorities supporting the measure, as do all regions of the state; the only region where it doesn’t get a majority, northeastern Minnesota (where Iron Range mining makes union support stronger) approves of the measure 49/30.

Looks as though Minnesota’s mainstream has tired of closed shops and union bullying.  The “extreme” in this state are those who want to protect Big Labor’s turf — and the spigot of political contributions that come from forced dues payments.  In other words, if Dayton wants to know “who’s extreme,” he should just look in the mirror.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

How many have heard the mantra ‘…this family has always voted Democrat and always will’. But,since Obama has his campaign to buy the country with our money–something REALLY,REALLY BAD may have to happen to change things. Having hard time watching Greek unions going down with the ship whilst burning the life boats…our future?

jeanie on February 11, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Santorum will not win. Too much of a petulant child thing going on in there.

Lucano on February 11, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I see it as more like public-speaking nervousness, which he is getting over.

slickwillie2001 on February 11, 2012 at 12:34 PM

jeanie ,
Me thinks it’s time to buy a Toga !

Lucano on February 11, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Yesterday, I heard a new liberal code word!
Someone said, he was “severely” conservative!
KOOLAID2 on February 11, 2012 at 12:23 PM

I saw that too. I was severely amused, by it.

listens2glenn on February 11, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Beyond that, you need to show me the “evidence” I requested in these preceding posts..

Would ANYBODY show me the ‘strong Union support’ for Rick Santorum, in this primary?
listens2glenn on February 11, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Would ANYBODY show me the ‘weak Union support’ for Rick Santorum, in this primary?
listens2glenn on February 11, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Would ANYBODY show me the [barely discernible Union support, that is so little we need special instruments to measure it] for Rick Santorum, in this primary?
listens2glenn on February 11, 2012 at 11:39 AM

listens2glenn on February 11, 2012 at 11:57 AM

So if the unions aren’t currently supporting him….that somehow proves he didn’t repeatedly vote for pro-union legislation?

ChrisL on February 11, 2012 at 12:36 PM

I can’t explain it. Maybe it’s an FDR or Kennedy thing.

RedCrow on February 11, 2012 at 12:19 PM

My mom no longer votes. It’s hard for her to get around. And she despises everything the Dems stand for. But if she could vote, she would vote Democrat. It’s FDR for her. She grew up during the depression and still believes he saved the world.

predator on February 11, 2012 at 12:24 PM

YES. FDR conned a whole generation. Without his progressive nonsense the ‘Great Depression’ would have lasted a couple years.

slickwillie2001 on February 11, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Lucano on February 11, 2012 at 12:22 PM
I take it you mean the game.
What should we call it? “Primary Pong”?
“Blank-Bot Pong”? (Ooh–Another game! Every time someone calls someone else a <> + “bot”, you have to drink.)(Also TM)

predator on February 11, 2012 at 12:24 PM
predator on February 11, 2012 at 12:28 PM
Lol. Funny, ain’t it? My mom used to be huge on Kennedy. Luckily, she came to her senses. Do go back to bed. It sounds like a great idea, but I’m gonna hit the exercise bike, instead.

RedCrow on February 11, 2012 at 12:37 PM

ChrisL on February 11, 2012 at 12:36 PM

listens2 is normally a pretty good commenter, today I think he’s drinking……alot.

VegasRick on February 11, 2012 at 12:39 PM

predator on February 11, 2012 at 12:24 PM

I wish I had no clue of what you’re talking about. Unfortunately . . . . . . . . . . . : (

listens2glenn on February 11, 2012 at 12:39 PM

ChrisL on February 11, 2012 at 12:36 PM

VegasRick on February 11, 2012 at 12:39 PM

What I tried (unsuccessfully) to get across, is that the Union Bosses know damn well that “President” Rick Santorum isn’t going to support ANY of that ‘pro-Union’ legislation he signed as Senator.
He’ll be the same as Gov Scott Walker, to them.

listens2glenn on February 11, 2012 at 12:46 PM

RedCrow ,
How about something more esoteric like Clench Butt ?
Every time you get that feeling ….. you drink .
Short game though in this primary .

Lucano on February 11, 2012 at 12:48 PM

He’ll be the same as Gov Scott Walker, to them.

listens2glenn on February 11, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Got it. All that copy/paste/paste/copy/copy/paste was getting me dizzy.

VegasRick on February 11, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Unions must be getting more than just a little nervous as the “right to work” trend seems to be increasing. The more threatened unions feel , the more they will lie, cheat, steal, and become violent. I think we may see the dirtiest election in a very long time in 2012, one with much more of an attempt at voter fraud than usual. Unions will see electing Democrats that are under their thumbs as their only chance at quelling the trend toward weakening the strongholds of unions.

lukjuj on February 11, 2012 at 12:49 PM

To a Democrat freedom to choose is extreme.

pat on February 11, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Slickwillie ,
You could be correct but he looks like he’s grinding he’s teeth all the time .
Also he has this sweating thing going on. I don’t hate the guy he’s just a little
whiney for me .
And I don’t see him winning .

Lucano on February 11, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Got it. All that copy/paste/paste/copy/copy/paste was getting me dizzy.
VegasRick on February 11, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Sorry ’bout that. That’s probably because I was already “dizzy.”

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’ll get back to the bottle . . . . . . . : )

listens2glenn on February 11, 2012 at 12:56 PM

lukjuj on February 11, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Yes. It’s good for us that it’s all happening this year, ie WI, MN, IN, AZ and November. The greedy unions will be hard pressed to fund anti-RTW drives in all those states while at the same time spending $300M trying to get little Bammie reelected.

slickwillie2001 on February 11, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Lucano on February 11, 2012 at 12:48 PM

I was also thinking about “The Primary Devolution”, but it sounded too much like a “Big Bang Theory” episode title.

“The Thread Usurpation Intoxication Game”?

Heh.

RedCrow on February 11, 2012 at 1:13 PM

RedCrow ,
By George , I think you got it !

Lucano on February 11, 2012 at 1:19 PM

He’ll be the same as Gov Scott Walker, to them.

listens2glenn on February 11, 2012 at 12:46 PM

By that logic – the people who support Obamacare aren’t supporting Romney so…we don’t have to talk about Romneycare anymore?

ChrisL on February 11, 2012 at 1:26 PM

I can’t explain it. Maybe it’s an FDR or Kennedy thing.

RedCrow on February 11, 2012 at 12:19 PM

predator on February 11, 2012 at 12:24 PM

slickwillie2001 on February 11, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Exactly. Proof, one of the most challangeing and difficult poltical remedies: Passage of the 22nd Amendment

Odie1941 on February 11, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Dayton is a real loser, isn’t he.

WannabeAnglican on February 11, 2012 at 1:46 PM

listens2glenn on February 11, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Ahahahahahaha! I read that as

“Would ANYBODY show me the ‘strong Unicorn support’ for Rick Santorum, in this primary?”

And thought you were an Obama supporter worried that the Rainbows and Unicorns were shifting sides. This is what happens when I drink way the hell too much coffee.

I probably shouldn’t blog or participate in any online forums today. I’m not fit for human company.

BrideOfRove on February 11, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Dayton has never looked merely to the southeast to find a state where union bullying (with legislative support, of course) has helped chase out employers and lead to a lower standard of living with perpetual debt. I can see right-to-work being passed in 49 states before it’s ever considered in IL–we’ll be the last, if ever. No, wait, I forgot, there are 7 other states …

stukinIL4now on February 11, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Santorum’s Labor Problem

Santorum cast a controversial vote in the House in 1993 when he was starting a campaign for the Senate that aligned him with Democrats and the Clinton administration. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported: “Santorum broke ranks with fellow GOP members by backing a federal law to prohibit the hiring of permanent replacements for striking workers.”

The Romney camp has yet to focus on this issue, but in many ways, given the recklessness of the president’s National Labor Relations Board appointees, it is a more timely issue than earmarks.

mountainaires on February 11, 2012 at 2:11 PM

As a proud resident of a Right to Work state, let me encourage all of the voters and workers in Minnesota to do whatever it takes for your state to also become what is REALLY a worker’s paradise – NOT BEING CONTROLLED BY LEFTIST UNION THUGS AND NOT HAVING YOUR MONEY CONFISCATED IN DUES THAT GO STRAIGHT TO THE D-CRAT SOCIALIST PARTY!

TeaPartyNation on February 11, 2012 at 2:11 PM

This is Santorum on why he voted against ‘Right to work’…

“And you need to remember, I was from the state of Pennsylvania. State of Pennsylvania does not have a right to work law. The state legislature and our governor for a long time had rules in place that were inconsistent with right to work. And I wasn’t, as United States senator, representing the states of Pennsylvania going to go down and by federal vote change the law on the state. I believe the state has the right. If they want a union dues requirement, that the state should be able to do that. As a president, I have a very different point of view.

So because he comes from a state that does not support it, he voted against it…while personally being against it.

Huh…Isn’t that what Romney did with healthcare and all this other crap. How come Santorum and everybody attacks Romney for stuff he vetoed in MA, which the legislature bypassed…but give Santorum a pass. MA wanted Romneycare, and Romney did everything in his power to make it more conservative. How can Santorum get away with explaining himself that way, and not Romney? What makes him more conservative than Romney…if your behavior depends on the attitude of the people you are governing? What makes you think he would do anything different if he were governor in MA?

Can anybody give me an answer.

Chudi on February 11, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Making MN a right to work state, would be against Gov Dayton’s forced unionization plan he has with child care providers. And that I assume was just the tip of the iceberg.

Dasher on February 11, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Can anybody give me an answer.

Chudi on February 11, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Its simple. Romney is a RINO and his flip-flops prove it. Santorum is a true conservative and his flip-flops prove it. Its very similar to how Gingrich is a true conservative and his flip-flops don’t count.

ChrisL on February 11, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Romney didn’t do anything in MA to make it more conservative. That’s why he has a big goofy grin on his face looking up at his buddy Ted Kennedy as he signs ROmneyCare into law. He was happy to pass that legislation. There are a lot of other liberal states where REpublican governors don’t roll over for Democrats, like Scott Walker for example. Romney is no Scott Walker.

Dr. Tesla on February 11, 2012 at 6:21 PM

I don’t see Santorum running in a state like Mass, or if he did, running as a leftwinger, as Romney did. He does have some core convictions, it’s doesn’t appear ROmney does.

Dr. Tesla on February 11, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Dr. Tesla on February 11, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Scott Walker is awesome. He does have a Republican House and Senate though. That is hardly a fair comparison to the state that gave us Barney Frank, John Kerry, and Ted Fricken Kennedy. I’d encourage you to look into how many of Romney’s vetoes were overridden.

How does Santorum helping Specter, expanding Medicare and Dept of Education, voting for Sonia Sotomayer and pro-union legislation make Pennsylvania or America more conservative?

ChrisL on February 11, 2012 at 7:36 PM

I’ll definitely vote for right to work if it makes it to the ballot (I live in MN). I like how Dayton thinks it’s extreme to put an issue before the voters. If it weren’t for MN’s stupid flirtation with idiot third parties, Tom Emmer would be Governor right now.

Othniel on February 12, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Chudi, you repeatedly lied about Rick Perry being a racist, so you are a proven liar. Sorry, but just when I think I can maybe start to get comfortable with Romney, you chime in, and push me away from him. The your buddies jailbreak and bluegill start with that asinine yeehaw stuff, and it just repels me even further. Most Romney supporters here are NOT like you, but you three have really damaged your candidate for me.

juliesa on February 12, 2012 at 11:02 AM

The governors expression is the same as the character in Blazing Saddles that fondled a statue.

dunce on February 12, 2012 at 1:47 PM

LOL. How about freedom to provide a superior product at a lower cost.

What’s not to like?

Dusty on February 11, 2012 at 11:27 AM

I believe the People’s Republic of China has that covered.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 12, 2012 at 5:52 PM