Breaking: Romney wins CPAC straw poll

posted at 4:34 pm on February 11, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Are you as severely surprised as I am?  Mitt Romney won the last time that Ron Paul didn’t win, and he managed to do it again:

Mitt Romney won The Washington Times/CPAC Presidential Straw Poll on Saturday, and also nipped Rick Santorum as the top choice of conservatives nationwide, according to a new version of the poll conducted for the first time this year that suggests Mr. Romney retains strong support among self-identified conservatives.

Mr. Romney won 38 percent of the straw poll, which counted the votes of 3,408 activists gathered for the Conservative Political Action Conference, which ran from Thursday through Saturday at a hotel in Washington.

Mr. Santorum was second with 31 percent, Newt Gingrich was third with 15 percent and Rep. Ron Paul was fourth with 12 percent — far below his showing the last two years, when he won with 31 in 2010 and 30 percent in 2011.

The results for Paul doesn’t come as much of a shock.  Paul didn’t speak at CPAC, and his faithful contingent was mostly absent from the conference this year. Still, it’s a bit of a shock to see him fall all the way to the bottom.

Romney brought a lot of supporters with him to CPAC, which is exactly what this straw poll measures. In that sense, it’s a bit surprising to see Rick Santorum come as close as he did in second place.  We saw a lot of Santorum posters and signs at CPAC this year, so perhaps the Santorum campaign managed to get that kind of organization in place.  As low on resources they have been, though, it doesn’t make a lot of sense to buy a bunch of tickets for Santorum supporters to attend a three-day conference.  I’d chalk that up to more organic support than organization.

The big surprise, though, was Gingrich’s poor showing.  He also has resource issues now, but CPAC is his crowd.  Normally one would expect Gingrich to score better at this particular conference, especially after a very good speech yesterday.  A distant third was not the result the Gingrich team would have wanted for the story line out of CPAC.  Gingrich does a little better in the Washington Times’ national poll at 20%, but still trails both Romney (27%) and Santorum (25%).

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6 7

*sigh* You severely test my patience. When something is severely difficult to accomplish but is ultimately successful it does not have a negative connotation. Like this! “I fought against long odds in a deep blue state, but I was a severely conservative Republican governor.”

Buy Danish on February 11, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Was he more conservative then following people:
William Weld
Paul Cellucci
Jane Swift

RickB on February 11, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Romney 38%.

Not Romney 58%.

joecollins on February 11, 2012 at 7:14 PM

heil mittler!

DHChron on February 11, 2012 at 7:01 PM

awww, the bilinguals at HA :-)..can you say that in French too? :-)..

jimver on February 11, 2012 at 7:18 PM

CPAC has always been a Mittens show. It is in his backyard on the east coast and the kids there are the college age children of the country club set. I know. I was there.

Besides, the vote was split again.

He’ll never get to 50% + 1 by the convention.

KirknBurker on February 11, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Sarah Palin should have been our nominee.

INC on February 11, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Agree

evergreenland on February 11, 2012 at 5:59 PM

+100

Mittens won the straw poll cause the Cuda is not running.

KirknBurker on February 11, 2012 at 7:20 PM

One thing is sure, this is going to be a dirty, dirty campaign nobody can be proud of when it’s over. The only plus would be 0bamas exit, after that it’d downhill.

If I have to watch four years of Mitt’s contrived ‘humble guy’ face on tv I might just bat that dish off my roof. Upside AND downside of that is 0bama’d be gone, but Romney would most likely be a one termer with something even worse than obama on the other side.

Wolfmoon on February 11, 2012 at 7:21 PM

KirknBurker on February 11, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Still crying because the fish lady knew what you don’t, that is what a disaster it would have been for her?

MJBrutus on February 11, 2012 at 7:23 PM

It’s interesting how when Santorum has a win, HotAir breaks out the mega enthusiasm, and several supporting posts of polling, etc., but when Romney wins, it’s just “oh yeah, Romney won CPAC”.

You’de think that ALL of the Republicans would rally behind the candidate that might actually win the general election. The one that is more universally supported than the other guys. Isn’t it all about ousting Obama? No?

BettyRuth on February 11, 2012 at 7:24 PM

+100

Mittens won the straw poll cause the Cuda is not running.

KirknBurker on February 11, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Cuda is a quitter. She quit the governorship so she could sit home and have some dimwit write her facebook posts to her stupid lemmings and show up on Fox where the interviewers refuse to make her explain her stupid comments.

She couldnt win a single state…especially not Alaska where they hate her. Dont believe me…ask Senator Miller. HA HA HA HA

Jailbreak on February 11, 2012 at 7:26 PM

BettyRuth on February 11, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Why would I join in lockstep behind a candidate I don’t like and don’t believe for a minute? A candidate I don’t think is substantially different than 0bama no matter how much he insists otherwise?

Or aren’t we allowed to challenge the anointed one?

Wolfmoon on February 11, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Too bad Romney will lose again tonight in Maine. He can only win in rigged polls now lol

davemason2k on February 11, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Now, dont you feel stupid? I mean you sure look stupid.

BTW, where is Allah’s thread about the Maine win???

HotGas sore loser tool club. Y’all suck.

Jailbreak on February 11, 2012 at 7:28 PM

awww, the bilinguals at HA :-)..can you say that in French too? :-)..

jimver on February 11, 2012 at 7:18 PM

je m’appelle mittler…hail me and stuff

DHChron on February 11, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Of course. March to your own beat. As for myself, I want Obama out of the White House. I looked at the candidates and decided which one had the best chance of beating him in the general. I don’t *love* everything about Mitt, but I think he’ll be a hella lot better than Obama.

BettyRuth on February 11, 2012 at 7:32 PM

mittens blows

DHChron on February 11, 2012 at 7:36 PM

DHChron on February 11, 2012 at 7:36 PM

What would we do without graffiti?

MJBrutus on February 11, 2012 at 7:40 PM

CPAC has been taken over by RINOS! RINOOOoooOOOOooooooOOOOOOS!

DavidW on February 11, 2012 at 7:41 PM

I feel comfortable with Romney.

In ’08, I favored Thompson. Romney was #2 for me then, but when Thompson failed to catch on I supported Romney. (I shredded Romney in the comments on this site back then because his supporters were so irritating).

I was hoping for Daniels or Perry to get in this cycle, and I was pleased when Perry decided to run. Too bad he sucked, implying that people who didn’t agree that illegal aliens should get in-State tuition were bigots. So I’m back with Romney.

I watched the cpac speeches for Romney, Santorum, and Gingrich. This cycle, same as last, Romney comes off as the guy I can most relate to (at this point in the race). I’d prefer to have a 7up with him than a beer with Santorum or Gingrich. I find his manner pleasant, his family charming, and his business success impressive and relevant. Romney has executive experience governing a State.

The only thing that bothers me is his conservative bona fides. He is saying all the right things, but he is a politician after all. I have no problem with RomneyCare. The people of Massachusetts wanted it and he gave it to them. Why should he put his will before the will of the people. Is that what we want him doing as president? Like Obama and ObamaCare? That is the big difference. Romney was working the will of the people in Massachusetts, Obama was working his will on the people of the U.S.

Also, Global Warming (carbon limits). Back then, and probably continuing into the present, Global Warming was a majority opinion in Massachusetts. The people wanted carbon limits and he gave it to them. Being a politician, Romney also supported carbon limits nationally since he left the governorship. Dumb, but political, since it was the majority opinion at the time in the U.S. I think Romney was not the only current Republican candidate to make the same stupid move for the same stupid reason. But politicians being what they are…

No, I can’t say I get a warm cuddly feeling about Romney, but I feel more comfortable about him than I do about the other three candidates. I’m not surprised he won the cpac straw poll.

jaime on February 11, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Romney 38%.

Not Romney 58%.

joecollins on February 11, 2012 at 7:14 PM

How did Not Paul, Not Gingrich, and Not Santorum do?

RightOFLeft on February 11, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Is Jailbreak the nastiest Mitt person on HotAir?

Is Jailbreak the nastiest person on HotAir?

SparkPlug on February 11, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Still waiting for the “Romney Wins Maine Caucuses” thread. Or does that not fit the shape of the narrative that Hot Air, with increasingly annoying obviousness, is trying to impose on this primary season?

HTL on February 11, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Romney acts like a RINO lady with her mothering and nurturing tendencies with RomneyCare

SparkPlug on February 11, 2012 at 7:49 PM

mittens for president? I say mittens for God

serve me some tasty mittens in mitten sauce

DHChron on February 11, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Romney 38%.

Not Romney 58%.

joecollins on February 11, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Brain dead, stale talking point I’ve seen every Anti-Mitt person use when he wins. Pro Tip: That is not the correct way to interpret a voting contest. So you’re saying everyone who voted for Ron Paul was voting against Romney? Or was it Santorum? Gingrich then?

Logic is your friend.

1984 in real life on February 11, 2012 at 7:54 PM

I heard some pundits on Fox oohing and aahing that Romney won the CPAC straw poll at 38% and I could not believe my ears.

They went on and on that this fine showing will re-invigorate the Romney camp and now I’m shaking my head to test if I’m still awake.

Since when is a 38% straw poll such a wonderful showing? I understand it was the highest percentage of all but it’s not anything I’d write home about.

for all the hoopla over Romney he should be hitting 50% and up at every chance and instead he’s losing three states in a row and now with fans crowing about a 38% straw poll.

Heh.

patfish on February 11, 2012 at 7:54 PM

HTL on February 11, 2012 at 7:47 PM

What are you going to do? It’s a conservative blog- I just don’t understand why they’re hellbent to promote conservative’s throwing away their chance to get rid of Obama by voting, first Perry, then Newt, and now Santorum. I don’t know in what world Santorum has a chance in the general.

BettyRuth on February 11, 2012 at 7:56 PM

jaime on February 11, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Well said. Me too. Except the Perry part. I wasn’t willing to sacrifice another Texas Governor to a fickle ‘base’.

Texas Gal on February 11, 2012 at 8:04 PM

BettyRuth on February 11, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Most people don’t like Romney. We aren’t going to win with such an unlikable candidate.

sharrukin on February 11, 2012 at 8:07 PM

The one that is more universally supported than the other guys.
BettyRuth on February 11, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Romney is more universally supported than the other guys?

CPAC Straw Poll Vote:

Romney: 38% – 1295 votes
Santorum: 31% – 1056 votes
Gingrich: 15% – 511 votes
Paul: 12% – 409 votes

58% did not vote for Romney

The Washington Times/CPAC national poll:

Mitt Romney: 27%
Rick Santorum: 25%
Newt Gingrich: 20%
Ron Paul: 8%

53% did not vote for Romney

These polls say differently.

bluefox on February 11, 2012 at 8:09 PM

BettyRuth on February 11, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Oh, I know. But occasionally I feel like I just need to record an objection. Frankly, I originally came here for Allahpundit’s irrepressible insouciance and the general benefits of news aggregation, but lately the spin from the other contributors is starting to wear on me. They even seem to have gotten to AP lately…

HTL on February 11, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Is Jailbreak the nastiest Mitt person on HotAir?

Is Jailbreak the nastiest person on HotAir?

SparkPlug on February 11, 2012 at 7:46 PM

I use my ignore key on all trolls and bots:-) Skip right past them, not worth reading nor replying to.

bluefox on February 11, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Heh.

patfish on February 11, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Typical Fox News since they ventured over to the dark side:-) I hardly watch them anymore at all. They are all in the tank for Romney, almost as much as Romney is for Romney, LOL

bluefox on February 11, 2012 at 8:17 PM

CPAC is an inside the beltway gathering and candidates, like Mitt, pay people to attend and vote for them.

The fact that Santorum got 30% is the astounding thing because he did not do the payola.

FYI. Restore Americas Future, which has apparently bought advertising on this site to go after Rick and Newt, is Mitt’s PAC. I especially love them saying that Santorum was individually responsible for the actions of the entire Senate when it comes to debt and pork.

This coming from the campaign of a guy who gave birth to the biggest debt inducing policy of all time, Obamacare.

fight like a girl on February 11, 2012 at 8:27 PM

So, top-down government run healthcare w/ mandate is a conservative construct….who would have thunk that one/sarc

PuritanD71 on February 11, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Newt, 6% in Maine.

Philly on February 11, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Has Newt Gingrich called a press conference yet to throw a tantrum?

VorDaj on February 11, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Has Newt Gingrich called a press conference yet to throw a tantrum?

VorDaj on February 11, 2012 at 8:56 PM

LOL. Maybe he’ll rant against Ron Paul or something.

Philly on February 11, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Romney 38%.
Not Romney 58%.

joecollins on February 11, 2012 at 7:14 PM

How did Not Paul, Not Gingrich, and Not Santorum do?

RightOFLeft on February 11, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Romney: 38% Not Romney: 58%
Santorum: 31% Not Santorum: 65%
Gingrich: 15% Not Gingrich: 81%
Paul: 12% Not Paul: 84%

It’s a good point. Not Santorum, Not Paul, and Not Gingrich all did better than Not Romney. :)

imasoulman on February 11, 2012 at 9:38 PM

bluefox on February 11, 2012 at 8:17 PM

lol…he’s the “frontrunner”.

Been watching ‘em all (except mslsd – which I’m certain actually irrepairably shaves several IQ points by the second watched) and FOX has had about the best coverage, at least IMO.

Tim_CA on February 11, 2012 at 9:38 PM

jaime on February 11, 2012 at 7:41 PM

..very nice sentiments. Well put.

Romney: 38% Not Romney: 58%
Santorum: 31% Not Santorum: 65%
Gingrich: 15% Not Gingrich: 81%
Paul: 12% Not Paul: 84%

imasoulman on February 11, 2012 at 9:38 PM

..OUCH! Be careful what you do with that skewer; you could put someone’s eye out!

The War Planner on February 11, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Indeed, Ed is so far in the tank for Santorum, his reporting has become ridiculously slanted. He’s lost his credibility after openly endorsing Santorum. Anything he writes about the primary can be dismissed.

AngusMc on February 11, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Yep. Hot Air has now become part of the True Conservative™ media elite. No more candyass RINO shenanigans for these guys. They have power and influence in the movement. And, God forbid they should look at Santorum’s record with the same objectivity with which they dissect Romney’s…..

Priscilla on February 11, 2012 at 9:56 PM

ROMNEY: No, no, I like mandates. The mandates work.

‘I believe the world is getting warmer, and I believe that humans have contributed to that.‘

‘I supported the assault weapon ban.‘

On Obamacare…
So some similarities, some differences, and I hope we’re ultimately able to eliminate some of the differences, repeal the bad and keep the good.

“These carbon emission limits will provide real and immediate progress in the battle to improve our environment,” then-Gov. Romney said in a press release touting Massachusetts as “the first and only state to set CO2 emissions limits on power plants.”

“I will not create jobs or hold jobs that kill people, and that plant, that plant kills people,”

sharrukin on February 11, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Thank you …. he has always struck me as a used car dealer that will do anything to make the sale …..

conservative tarheel on February 11, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Romney: 38% Not Romney: 58%
Santorum: 31% Not Santorum: 65%
Gingrich: 15% Not Gingrich: 81%
Paul: 12% Not Paul: 84%

A very good point. You’ll only see it in the comments, however…

Priscilla on February 11, 2012 at 9:59 PM

As we squabble here, let’s remember, whoever is the nominee, we have to work our tails off to defeat the incumbent come November!

Sheerq on February 11, 2012 at 5:55 PM

ABO ….

anyone but Obama ….

conservative tarheel on February 11, 2012 at 10:06 PM

BettyRuth on February 11, 2012 at 7:32 PM

my 15 year old yellow lab would be better then Obama ….
:D

conservative tarheel on February 11, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Romney is not going to make it, so enjoy while he is on top. Romney is Obama’s ticket to his second term. I am an ABR!

donyalola on February 11, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Just got back from CPAC. Straw poll results were odd–there really was no “Romney vibe” at CPAC. Saw far more enthusiasm for Santorum and Gingrich. FWIW when the results were announced, there was some loud boo-ing in the main ballroom.
I believe this was also the first year for internet voting at CPAC.

howIroll on February 11, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Sheerq on February 11, 2012 at 5:55 PM

ABO ….

anyone but Obama ….

conservative tarheel on February 11, 2012 at 10:06 PM

..my heart soars like a hawk!

The War Planner on February 11, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Priscilla on February 11, 2012 at 9:56 PM

What about his record? He voted against TARP, against Obamacare, against cap and trade.

Romney implemented Romneycare and cap and trade, and he’s proud of it.

AJsDaddie on February 11, 2012 at 10:28 PM

jaime on February 11, 2012 at 7:41 PM

That about sums up my stance as well. I favored Fred in 2008 until he fizzled out. Then I looked at who was left and was most impressed with Romney.

Kind of what happened here in 2012 for me too. I got on the Cain Train early and also thought Perry had some potential, but both of them defeated themselves.

When the dust settled, Romney was standing there, and again I was impressed with him.

I think he is our best bet in the general election, and I, like you, are comfortable with with the idea of a President Romney.

RightWay79 on February 11, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Wait, it’s 38% ? Right ?

That’s a clear, uh, a clear, uh……minority of Republicans.

There, I got it right, no spin here.

JayTee on February 11, 2012 at 10:41 PM

“are comfortable” should of course be “am comfortable”. Sorry ’bout that. I changed my structure and forgot to fix that part. ;-)

RightWay79 on February 11, 2012 at 10:43 PM

.BettyRuth on February 11, 2012 at 7:24 PM

earth to mar’s,LOL!

svs22422 on February 11, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Even the CPAC crowd knows Santorum/Gingrich/not-Romney doesn’t have a chance to beat Obama.

Moesart on February 11, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Sheerq on February 11, 2012 at 5:55 PM

With you all the way…whoever it is, ABO.

Priscilla on February 11, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Great win for Romney at CPAC, and a great article on Romney’s win in Maine. Oh wait, that article was on CNN.

claudius on February 11, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Isn’t it funny – the past few days at CPAC has been applauded by the so-called NON-establishment, grass roots conservatives – oh, how wonderful these young conservatives are, they are the real future of conservatism. Santorum gets a rousing reception, Newt too yet Romney, (how many times can Mitt-haters use the word “severely” in 3 days?) is still questionable by conservatives – YET, he wins the straw poll….fizzle,yawn,fizzle, yawn….If Santorum had won it – it would have been the most important poll in the history of conservative politics ! For all you Mitt-haters that claim Mitt is not the most electable over Obama, take a look at the RCP polling for the past year and see that Romney beats Obama more consistently than any other candidate.
Wow, Santorum has accomplished it once while Mitt has many, many times. Silly, silly people – this is not the election to see if the American people will vote for a Santorum or Gingrich. Just way too much at stake…..

BabysCatz on February 11, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Romney implemented Romneycare and cap and trade, and he’s proud of it.

AJsDaddie on February 11, 2012 at 10:28 PM

AJ, Santorum did not vote against those things because he was a Senator no more at the time. He was not a Senator at the time because he lost his re-election campaign in 2006 by a record 710,000 votes. That happens to be the biggest rout of an incumbent GOP Senator in American history. Not exactly the best way to break a record now, is it? You want a record breaking loser to lead the ticket this year? CRAZY.

kurtd on February 11, 2012 at 11:44 PM

The one that is more universally supported than the other guys.
BettyRuth on February 11, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Romney is more universally supported than the other guys?

CPAC Straw Poll Vote:

Romney: 38% – 1295 votes
Santorum: 31% – 1056 votes
Gingrich: 15% – 511 votes
Paul: 12% – 409 votes

58% did not vote for Romney

The Washington Times/CPAC national poll:

Mitt Romney: 27%
Rick Santorum: 25%
Newt Gingrich: 20%
Ron Paul: 8%

53% did not vote for Romney

These polls say differently.

bluefox on February 11, 2012 at 8:09 PM

And that is after running for President for at least 6 years and having a ton of money to spend on his campaign.

He is not the great campaigner people think he is. I am far more afraid of Mitt or Newt as our candidate than I am Santorum.

If Santorum gets the nomination, I see him winning hearts and minds, when people get to know him. Right now most people don’t know him, just propaganda against him out of context. Santorum is far more likable than the other 2 and that counts in the general. He has the best message (blue collar economics and truly the anti-Obama in every respect, including one our biggest weapons, Obamacare.)

Plus he’d make the best President.

Elisa on February 12, 2012 at 12:20 AM

AngusMc on February 11, 2012 at 9:56 PM

lol

I don’t think trying to shut Ed up because he doesn’t agree with your analysis and your choice will work.

Elisa on February 12, 2012 at 12:23 AM

By the way,

May Whitney Houston rest in peace and may God bless her family.

Such a shame.

Elisa on February 12, 2012 at 12:24 AM

fight like a girl on February 11, 2012 at 8:27 PM

I thought the same thing. I saw this a great result for Santorum.

Elisa on February 12, 2012 at 12:27 AM

1984 in real life on February 11, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Not a good line for a Mitt supporter to use. Logic is your friend? What does Mitt Romney stand for? He’s not Gingrich; He’s not Santorum; he’s not Obama. America will die if we don’t vote for him.

Romney has nothing to run on except tearing his rivals down; and I will bet that he won’t dare try it with Obama because the Romney/McCain type of Republican only rips on other members of the GOP. You retards manage to push this turd over the finish line, I hope you have the barf bags ready; the amount of a**kissing Romney will do to Obama will probably require an Obama pants change at least twice a day.

Your candidate is nothing but an apology to the Democrats; sorry, benign Democrat overlords..we don’t want to offend you by having different opinions so we’re going to run ham sandwich, Obamacare’s biggest booster, to ensure that Obama won’t have to work too hard at having a second term.

Romney is a longshot; I think he’s going to lose but hey, will it matter if he wins? Bunch of empty RINO suits in both houses of Congress and Romney stands for Mitt Romney being President; if you think there is going to be some big American Renaissance, you’re sadly mistaken.

Enjoy your stupid horse race. Call the non Romney supporters names. America is still well and truly f**ked no matter who wins.

austinnelly on February 12, 2012 at 12:34 AM

my 15 year old yellow lab would be better then Obama ….
:D
conservative tarheel on February 11, 2012 at 10:16 PM

That reminds me, I had asked for your yellow lab’s qualifications the other day.
If you responded, I missed it.

Being better than BHO is a “slam dunk”. But what about the Repub primary candidates?

listens2glenn on February 12, 2012 at 1:11 AM

fight like a girl on February 11, 2012 at 8:27 PM

I thought the same thing. I saw this a great result for Santorum.
Elisa on February 12, 2012 at 12:27 AM

I hadn’t heard THAT, before.

If true, then it’s HUGE.

listens2glenn on February 12, 2012 at 1:14 AM

austinnelly on February 12, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Translation:

We’re all gonna DIE . . . . . WE DON’T HAVE A PRAYER . . . . . . . .

listens2glenn on February 12, 2012 at 1:18 AM

kurtd on February 11, 2012 at 11:44 PM

You’re right, thoughtless mistake on my part. He came out against TARP and Obamacare but he was not a sitting senator at the time. He did vote against cap and trade, though. Here are some votes:

•Voted NO on the Clinton tax hike in 1993
•Voted YES on the capital gains tax cut in 1997
•Voted NO on a cigarette tax hike in 1998
•Voted YES on repeal of the Alternative Minimum Tax in 1999
•Voted YES on the 2001 Bush tax cuts
•Voted YES to repeal the Death Tax in 2002
•Voted NO to cap and trade in 2003
•Voted YES to the 2003 Bush tax cuts
•Voted YES to drilling in ANWR
•Voted YES to extend the Bush tax cuts in 2006

As to his loss of the Senate seat, do you know how he lost it? You might want to do a little research to find out exactly what hit him in 2006. In any event, you’re just plain wrong about the “worst loss” bit.

AJsDaddie on February 12, 2012 at 1:21 AM

HO HO HO HO HO HA HA HA HA HA HE HE HE HE HE I have been laughing since the straw poll results were announced. Who are you all going to glom onto next? You are all out of targets. And Sarah needs to stop chirping; she can’t finish anything either.

AReadyRepub on February 12, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Elisa on February 12, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Commenting that Ed has lost all objectivity and is now posting sycophantic interviews of Santorum and prominently featuring pro-Santorum news while suppressing things that might argue against that narrative (or at the very least treating them in a snide and dismissive fashion) is not trying to shut him up. It’s just trying to put his bias in context and perspective, so that no one will mistake it for objective commentary.

HTL on February 12, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Priscilla on February 11, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Sweater vest Santorum hasn’t been vetted yet, what are you so worried about? Oh, that’s right, he’s got problems (a pork spender if there ever was one) and he’s not a natural leader.

He’s better than Obama, but we can do better.

scotash on February 12, 2012 at 3:12 AM

Oh my, the weeping and wailing and nashing of teeth here is deafening.

The people of lies and darkness morn the success of truth over falsehood… you must give up your coveted title of conservative… because liar is not in the definition…

Go on with your teeth gnashing, the fires of your pain are the sounds of justice.

The soul of Americans are being measured, and you are found wanting.

Did you really think your lies would hide you forever?

It is a good day when the good guy wins.

petunia on February 12, 2012 at 3:33 AM

Not Obama: 100%

Ronnie on February 12, 2012 at 4:02 AM

…hey are all in the tank for Romney, almost as much as Romney is for Romney, LOL

bluefox on February 11, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Well it depends on what audience Romney is in front of. I wonder if Romney would be against Romney if he were in a democrat crowd. I’ll bet yes. ;)

JeffVader on February 12, 2012 at 4:24 AM

Great to see Romney win AGAIN!

I have not posted in a couple of weeks even though I read here daily because I get tired of all the Romney bashing when Romney consistently shows he is winning conservative support and it has ALWAYS been there despite what SOME HA posters believe.

Romney is the best ALL AROUND conservative candidate and will bring both conservative and independent voters that Gingrich or Santorum will NOT.

One other note, Reagan when he ran in 1980 at this time of year was only polling at about 38%…he turned out all right with our party.

g2825m on February 12, 2012 at 6:04 AM

Romney is more universally supported than the other guys?

CPAC Straw Poll Vote:

Romney: 38% – 1295 votes
Santorum: 31% – 1056 votes
Gingrich: 15% – 511 votes
Paul: 12% – 409 votes

58% did not vote for Romney

The Washington Times/CPAC national poll:

Mitt Romney: 27%
Rick Santorum: 25%
Newt Gingrich: 20%
Ron Paul: 8%

53% did not vote for Romney

These polls say differently.

bluefox on February 11, 2012 at 8:09 PM

How exactly do those polls say differently?

In the CPAC poll 65% did not vote for Santorum, 81% did not vote for Gingrich, and 84% did not vote for Paul.

In the WT/CPAC poll 55% did not vote for Santorum, 60% did not vote for Gingrich, and 72% did not vote for Paul.

Please explain which one of these other guys is more universally supported than Romney?

Maybe you’re trying to say that Romney is not more universally supported than all of the other guys combined? There’s a winning argument…

gotsig on February 12, 2012 at 6:11 AM

Romney wins CONSERVATIVE VOTE at CPAC.

Why the surprise? Because you’re following the liberal media narrative that Romney’s not conservative, that’s why.

Romney had won the straw poll three times previously, in 2007, 2008 and 2009. Paul emerged victorious in 2010 and 2011.

What? ROMNEY HAS WON CPAC CONSERVATIVES 3 TIMES BEFORE???!!!

Imagine that.

In a separate national poll released along with the results of the straw poll, Romney also finished on top,

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/02/11/romney-wins-cpac-straw-poll/#ixzz1mAg0BrwF

mountainaires on February 12, 2012 at 7:50 AM

davemason2k on February 11, 2012 at 4:37 PM

You were saying?

rubberneck on February 12, 2012 at 7:52 AM

+100

Mittens won the straw poll cause the Cuda is not running.

KirknBurker on February 11, 2012 at 7:20 PM

…and she never will.

rubberneck on February 12, 2012 at 7:55 AM

Elisa on February 12, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Then why did he lose in his home state by 18 points? He certainly lost a lot of hearts and minds there. Rick Santorum won’t even carry his home state in a election. Pity you don’t have the foresight to realize that. Nobody wants to elect someone who wants to peek in your bedroom. It’s a simple fact.

rubberneck on February 12, 2012 at 7:59 AM

rubberneck on February 12, 2012 at 7:59 AM

At least he had the guts to stand for re-election. I wonder how badly Deval Patrick would’ve kicked Mr Electable’s ass in 2006?

ddrintn on February 12, 2012 at 8:18 AM

…and she never will.

rubberneck on February 12, 2012 at 7:55 AM

Hmmmm….I wouldn’t say that. One thing I do know is Romney has maybe a 1% chance of being elected, so 2016 is a possibility. Heck, it’ a possibility anyway. Even in the highly unlikely event that Romney wins in November, he’d be such a lousy squish that Palin could probably primary him in 2016.

ddrintn on February 12, 2012 at 8:21 AM

The real news from the Maine caucus is Newt getting only 6%.

If Newt folds or suspends his campaign, Mitt will fall behind Santorum as the conservative vote is split among fewer candidates. Newt is not doing well on money. Mitt is still clueless on how to appeal to conservatives (not the beltway pros paid to attend CPAC.)

WhatNot on February 12, 2012 at 8:31 AM

The real news from the Maine caucus is Newt getting only 6%.)

WhatNot on February 12, 2012 at 8:31 AM

I think the real news is the depressed turnout. This should be a record-setting year in every state considering what should be a lot of anti-Obama feeling. Instead there seems to be a lot of “bleagh” apathy. The field is uninspiring and has been, and Romney’s scorched-earth idiocy has compounded the problem.

ddrintn on February 12, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Big whoop! RP won the last 2. He got 0 delegates just like in Maine. So don’t get too excited all you Mittbots. He’s still got a very long slog ahead.

Kissmygrits on February 12, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Elisa on February 12, 2012 at 12:20 AM

rubberneck on February 12, 2012 at 7:59 AM

As has been pointed out here many times by several people:

Santorum won for congress twice and Senate twice in PA which is mostly Democrat. He appeals to Reagan Dems and Independents.

The last time he lost in a year when Republicans lost big time everywhere because of Bush fatigue.

And Santorum was running against Casey’s son. Casey was hugely popular and beloved in PA and his son was a legacy. One of the last pro-life Democrats.

Santorum can definitely carry Pennsylvania in the general election, especially this year against Obama.

Elisa on February 12, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Elisa on February 12, 2012 at 12:23 AM

HTL on February 12, 2012 at 1:52 AM

“Suppressing things that might argue against that narrative?”

Where is the proof of that? Is Ed the only other person who writes for this website? If there are stories you’d like written about here, why is only Ed or Tina’s fault?

Maybe your view of any slant in the editorial policy is from your viewpoint and not a fact. I’ve seen articles here all over the map. And if someone seems “dismissive” of a point you think is important, maybe some people disagree with you on it’s importance.

The fact is this is not a newspaper that requires complete objectivity. The writers here are allowed to have opinions.

Sometimes I disagree with them, but that doesn’t mean I don’t respect them or think their opinions should be dismissed as slanted.

Let’s not pretend that you weren’t trying to silence Ed’s voice by making him feel he is doing something wrong in his duties here. Making him think people will think he is “biased” and dismiss his opinions, if he doesn’t muzzle himself and change what he is writing.

In fact, your last sentence proves what your point was. To discredit him with others who read here. If he has opinions then he can’t be trusted to be objective in writing analysis here.

I think most people reading here have their own opinions and can think for themselves. Some will agree with you and some with me and some with other opinions.

Elisa on February 12, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Elisa on February 12, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Santorum seems like a good guy. And he seems like a smart guy. If he is the nominee, I would have no problem voting for him….then, of course, I would vote for ABO.

On the other hand, I am uncomfortable with the number of Republicans who appear to have decided, on the basis of not very much, that Santorum is capable of strong leadership. Being a president with conservative values is a good thing, but it’s not the only thing….and when Santorum had the chance to stand firm against the unions, against gun control, against endorsing Specter….well, he didn’t. And when he opposed TARP, well, that was easy, because he had been swept out of office, and all he had to do was be a critic and naysayer, in hopes of reviving his political career. I’m not saying that his opposition was insincere, just that it was politically easy for him to do so.

Finally, Santorum may energize the right wing base, but he will also energize the Democrats. He is exactly the kind of Republican that swing voters love to hate….the guy that’s gonna tell them what they can and cannot do in the bedroom, tell women that they should stay barefoot and pregnant, etc. Again, not saying that he really is that guy – but he will easily and effectively be portrayed as a puritanical social con with no executive experience.

And, his loss in Pennsylvania was epic. It was not only caused by the Dem sweep and Casey, it was helped by Santorum’s own negative campaignin ads, which turned out to be false and his rather bizarre campaign strategy of claiming that PA would be less safe from terrorists if Bob Casey were elected. I was living in PA in 2006 and I supported Santorum, but he turned a lot of voters off – GOP voters.

Priscilla on February 12, 2012 at 9:46 AM

CPAC has become a joke, Every year there are less and less conservatives and more and more liberals and RINOs attending. CPAC really has nothing to do with conservatism anymore,you can tell that by looking at who shows up there. So this comes as no great surprise that Romney won the straw vote.

savage24 on February 12, 2012 at 10:22 AM

The Mitten a conservative; give me a break. It is about time to rename CPAC. How about RINOPAC?

RZuendt on February 12, 2012 at 10:22 AM

So who won the Maine caucus? Was it cancelled or something?

claudius on February 12, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Romney won in Maine. ME was touted as going to go to Paul who did persue it’s vote.

jeanie on February 12, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Apparently, Coulter has more sway at CPAC, than Rush Limbaugh and Sarah Palin. I can’t believe Republicans, as a group, are willing to send out a Mitt Romney as their candidate after the disaster McCain was. We know he’s not a conservative, he may toy around the edges of conservativism, but when it comes to his normal thought process, it’s not conservative.

If he does get the nomination (there’s still hope because CPAC hasn’t been a great predictor of who the nominee is going to be), it will be just one more time Republicans have to hold their nose to vote for a candidate.

bflat879 on February 12, 2012 at 12:10 PM

What’s with all the petty, personal attacks on HA the past few weeks? I understand we might all have different favorite canditates but lighten up already. Calling a candidate Mittens or the “non Romney” is pathetic. Get your point across like an adult.

If you’ve got a comment or thought post it but please spare us the petty cheap shots. There are a few candidates that could win the nomination. If we continue to weaken all of our canditates by attacking them ourselves, it only gives the Obama team free ammunition.

Even the worst of the GOP field is light years better that the Administration we have now. If you want to poison the well if your candidate doesn’t win, we ALL go down together.

JetBlast on February 12, 2012 at 12:52 PM

The Santo mo was supposed to “severely” rebuke Mittens at CPAC. What happened there ? Santo did stumble a bit with his speech though. Maybe FL still on the minds.

FlaMurph on February 12, 2012 at 1:53 PM

BREAKING NEWS MITTBOTS

Thank goodness we have the pure as the driven snow Mitt Romney to lecture the others on earmarks…..

…oh wait.

PappyD61 on February 12, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Santorum or Mitt were not my 1st choices. Not even my second. To me it’s now a choice between the two. They both have their negatives and positives, in my opnion they are basically tied with eachother in that aspect. So then for me it does come down to electibility. I think Romney wins there as getting 0webama out of office is goal numero uno. Am I enthused about Rick or Mitt? No, but I’ll vote for either over Barry. I just happen to think Mitt has a better shot at getting Pres Zero booted.

Minnfidel on February 12, 2012 at 2:54 PM

LOL

All week it’s CPAC! CPAC! CPAC!

Then when Santorum fails, it fark that CPAC. It’s a bunch of crooked crap.

Great comedy.

Moesart on February 12, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Perhaps he meant “Severed”. As governor he was a severed conservative. As in severed from the conservative movement.

Write Wing on February 12, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Even potatoes are scared of Mitt Romney; if they find themselves in his kitchen, they mash themselves.

csdeven on February 12, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Then when Santorum fails, it fark that CPAC. It’s a bunch of crooked crap.

Great comedy.

Moesart on February 12, 2012 at 3:09 PM

lol…

Remember when the St Palin the Victimized worshipers were behaving in the same exact manner?

Comedy gold right there boy.

csdeven on February 12, 2012 at 3:40 PM