Black female conservative congressional candidate Mia Love: Conventional wisdom says I don’t exist

posted at 2:30 pm on February 11, 2012 by Tina Korbe

U.S. congressional candidates aplenty populate the halls of the CPAC hotel — but Mia Love still stands out. Every bit as electric in person as she seems in her campaign videos, she has a contagious smile and an irresistible frankness.

She came to CPAC in part to present as a member of a panel that discussed what the conservative message offers minorities. As a black female conservative, she said she knows conventional wisdom suggests she shouldn’t exist. Listen to her speak for a second, though, and it’s hard to believe she won’t succeed at convincing a few liberals and independents to move in her direction. The life she describes as possible for anyone who is willing to take personal responsibility sounds like the life most people want — a full, happy, meaningful and satisfying one.

I caught up with her in a hall outside the bloggers’ lounge — and instantly felt more cheerful just for having talked to her.

“Here’s the problem,” she said. “Government is not going to save us from ourselves; at some point, we’re going to have to take responsibility for ourselves, make decisions for ourselves and either reap the benefits or suffer the consequences of our own decisions.”

Like Allen West, who passed us in the hall and greeted Love with a brisk “Mayor” and nod of the head, Love seems to be the embodiment of the motto, “Take away excuses and all that’s left are results.”

As a mayor, wife, mother, runner, she’s gotten those results. Under her mayoral administration, for example, Saratoga Springs, Utah, received the highest Standard & Poors municipal rating available to a city of its class, at a time when many cities were being downgraded. Now, she wants to deliver on a national level as a congresswoman for Utah.

“We’ve got to change the way we deliver the message,” she said to me. “We need to start getting to people and saying, ‘Listen, you’re not going to get out of this life you’re dissatisfied with through government dependency.’ The more money that we funnel in and take from someone else — eventually it’s going to run out. What then? So, what we’re going to do is we’re going to give you opportunity to create and produce for yourself.”

Because of the example of her parents, she knows it’s possible.

“I’m a product of parents who came with $10 in their pockets when they legally immigrated to the United States, became citizens, never took a handout and were able to put three kids through school,” she explains. “And you know what they were grateful for? They were grateful for opportunities. [My dad] was so happy to work and be able to keep a little of what he had.”

Two sentences from Love reveal a better understanding of what it will take to create jobs than any politician who promises to create jobs through government.

“When we allow the private sector to create jobs, then they get more money in their pockets, the products are cheaper — and there are more jobs that open up,” Love said. “The policies that have been led by the left have done nothing but hurt the poor.”

She knows it’s gonna take entitlement reform to ensure the longterm fiscal sustainability of our nation, too.

“We’re certainly not going to pull the rug out from the people who are there because frankly they don’t have the option of going back to work,” she said. “But I’d like to be able to see my children be able to put money into a retirement of their choosing. That’s what I’d like to see.”

She still faces a caucus and a primary before her message will go up a liberal opponent — but, as her name recognition increases, her support continues to grow. Her campaign staff told me they’re optimistic she could so sweep the caucus that the primary will become unnecessary.

“I need as much support as possible to make this work,” Love said. “If we’re going to change the way our country is run today, then we’ve all got to get involved.”

If CPAC has reinforced one thing for me, it’s this: The presidential election is important, but retaining the House and taking back the Senate is essential. Let’s keep the spotlight on conservative candidates across the country!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

A GOP Senate won’t block 0dumbo’s Supreme Court nominees.

Winning the presidency is paramount.

mockmook on February 11, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Didn’t Will Smith make a movie about this? Yea, he’s probably delusional too.

Mr_Magoo on February 11, 2012 at 6:55 PM

You make my point. He has great intelligence, natural stability, physical health and fitness, and on and on. I admire both talent and execution, but people vary in both.

Guess what allows us to do things?

That’s right, it’s the physical brain. And we don’t choose our brains. We don’t even choose the input into them, at least not for the most part. By the time we’re “choosing”, we’ve been programmed to think a certain way, in conjunction with our natural genetics. Then random chance events happen to influence us and we don’t choose them either.

To the degree our will or consciousness makes decisions (and research shows our brains make decisions by comparing patterns before we become consciously become aware of them, calling into question the concept of free will in a major way), it isn’t as cut and dry as Tina believes.

It’s awesome when people do well, but this personal responsibility thing is overemphasized by conservatives. It may be a useful model, but it doesn’t reflect reality as well as you think.

Random on February 11, 2012 at 7:01 PM

I can’t work the link thingy.

Cut and paste, I guess.

FOWG1 on February 11, 2012 at 6:16 PM

A former flight attendant who became a big spending mayor of a small town who raised the city budget by almost 50% in a couple of years and raised taxes? New conservative superstar.

I couldn’t find a better example of the dangerous of identity politics than this.

Leave this ugly crap to the democrats, people.

joana on February 11, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Ouch.

Random on February 11, 2012 at 7:06 PM

I stand above the fray for deep moral reasons.
joana on February 11, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Don’t want to get your boots dirty, eh?

Solaratov on February 11, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Solaratov on February 11, 2012 at 7:10 PM

You betcha. I find identity politics dirty and muddy soil that I’d rather not step.

joana on February 11, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Joana, in a perfect world, there would be no reason to be concerned about, or even mention, Mia Love’s race, instead of her qualifications.
But in a world where good is twisted by the Dems, the media and academe, it become necessary to point out, as often and as loudly as possible, the fallacies in their arguments.

In this world, staying ‘above the fray’ simply means that you are not helping, in any way, to show the lies for what they are. This is unfortunate, but true.

Siddhartha Vicious on February 11, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Ouch.

Random on February 11, 2012 at 7:06 PM

“Ouch” meaning someone didn’t read the article or note that the population the town government served increased by over 500%?

That “ouch”?

Rod on February 11, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Therefore the per capita tax rate had to increase due to inefficiencies of scale? After this housing bubble burst?

But when the housing bubble burst, Saratoga Springs was hit especially hard. In 2008, facing a budget shortfall of more than $3 million, the council faced an option of a 400 percent tax increase or slashing the budget.

They did a little of both, cutting the budget by about $2 million, laying off eight of the 85 employees and — in the most controversial move — more than doubling the property tax rates, imposing a 116 percent increase.

Anyway, I don’t know enough about her to have a firm opinion one way or another. My primary interest in this thread was to point out the inanity of thinking everyone can have the good life in a world as unequally balanced as this one in almost every important way you could imagine, and many more.

I’m not even arguing for equality. I’m simply pointing out the flaw int hat.

Random on February 11, 2012 at 7:35 PM

What makes Mia Love a figure of national interest?
joana on February 11, 2012 at 6:56 PM

“She came to CPAC in part to present as a member of a panel that discussed what the conservative message offers minorities. As a black female conservative, she said she knows conventional wisdom suggests she shouldn’t exist.”

This makes her a legitimate figure of national interest. But not just because she is a black female. It goes deeper than that. It embodies her whole life story. You insult her by saying otherwise.

God created colors and gave us the ability to see colors. To see someone as black, yellow, red or white is not wrong. To judge and act on that observation is. While people may have noticed her skin color to start, they seem to take to her because of the content of her character, not the color of her skin. Sound familiar? (BTW, did MLK engage in identity politics? If he did, that would make him morally flawed.)

Babeau was also a legitimate interview for the reasons you state. However, I would suggest that you would have been fine with Tina interviewing him anyway. Wouldn’t that also be identity politics – that is if he was just an obscure white, male?

Mr_Magoo on February 11, 2012 at 7:51 PM

I choose do not engage in identity politics and I pity the morally flawed people who do.

I’m sorry if you can’t deal with disagreement better than this.

joana on February 11, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Nope. I’m fine.

However, I am curious as to why you would call all the African Americans who voted for Barack Obama just because he was black morally flawed. Because quite a few did you know. You seem to be pushing a lot of people over the cliff with this theory of yours.

Mr_Magoo on February 11, 2012 at 8:08 PM

What makes Mia Love a figure of national interest?
joana on February 11, 2012 at 6:56 PM

So, you agree with me: her gender and race. Identity politics.

If it goes deeper than that, where’s the beef? That’s the kind of nonsense we usually hear about Obama. Okay, show me why Mia Love is more than just another republican small town mayor running on a primary.

And judging and acting on that observation is exactly what you admit Tina is doing in your first paragraph.

Your suggestion is wrong and pathetic and I’d appreciate if you could retire it right away. Plus, do you seriously want anyone to believe that Tina would interview a random small town mayor running in a primary with Mia Love’s political and professional resumé if that candidate is a white male (or even a white female)? Nobody really believes that.

joana on February 11, 2012 at 8:12 PM

morally flawed

Well … voting for someone who is radically pro-abortion, even forcing the Catholic church to supply abortion agents to their employees, not to mention lied about his association with a terrorist whose wife was arrested for her part in the terrorism-related murder of Chicago police officers, plus an organization that bombed the Pentagon, and on and on and on, all of the various moral flaws known at the time about Obama … because he is black … doesn’t indicate a lot of what is commonly referred to as “morality”, does it?

Does it in your view? Voting for someone because of their race, despite the above extreme pro-abortion, anti-religious freedom position and terrorist associations?

Random on February 11, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Mr_Magoo on February 11, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Totally. As well as the non-African Americans who voted for him just because he’s black. As anyone who didn’t vote for him just because he’s black.

joana on February 11, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Exactly.

Random on February 11, 2012 at 8:19 PM

joana on February 11, 2012 at 8:12 PM

I’ve never seen anyone work so hard to show he/she is morally superior to tens of millions of people.

Mr_Magoo on February 11, 2012 at 8:36 PM

I notice, despite Joana’s ‘above it all’ attitude, that she has not responded to my comment.

Inability to refute truth, perhaps?

Siddhartha Vicious on February 11, 2012 at 8:59 PM

I’m not even arguing for equality. I’m simply pointing out the flaw int hat.

Random on February 11, 2012 at 7:35 PM

I’ve made my own balance and I am enjoying the good life that I’ve created for myself.

Sorry you’re unable to do so for yourself.

Rod on February 11, 2012 at 9:02 PM

She has no chance in hell in snow ball country. Nor do many Black entrepreneurs that believe in total independence form this giant tooty…the US Gubmint.

Women and men like her…( Alan West ) are considered race traitors. Not true Blacks and Oreos…..ask Al (un)Sharpton why he hates these people.

Twana on February 11, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Sorry you’re unable to do so for yourself.

Rod on February 11, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Are you actually saying that you’ve gone out and acheived…using your God-given abilities, made an honest living, and are now trying to live the American Dream exactly as the Founding Fathers intednded when laying out the blueprint for this great nation….without constant (oftimes niggling) Government Harrassment?

Does that sound “Fair” to you sir?

I’ll be Occupying your driveway later.

Tim_CA on February 11, 2012 at 9:56 PM

I’ll be Occupying your driveway later.

Tim_CA on February 11, 2012 at 9:56 PM

No. You won’t be.

But I’ll be happy to give you some tips on getting you’re own driveway … if you’re willing to grasp the opportunity and work for it.

:-)

Rod on February 11, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Inability to refute truth, perhaps?

Siddhartha Vicious on February 11, 2012 at 8:59 PM

LOL. Pathetic. I didn’t even notice your comment. Where is it?

Do you mean this:

Siddhartha Vicious on February 11, 2012 at 7:27 PM

?

I don’t see what it adds to other similar comments I already answered.

I don’t care if identity politics works or not. I reject and denounce when the democratics use them; I do the same when republicans do it, as in this case.

Those who actually adopt the “if they do it, we need to do it too” stance are the ones legitimizing their usage of identity politics.

Already gone through this, your comment was basically the same others posted.

joana on February 11, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Mr_Magoo on February 11, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Butthurt much? You asked, I replied. I’m now fully aware you’re okay with voting or not voting for someone depending on their skin color – like many did with Obama. It’s your prerogative – with all due respect, you’re not the kind of person I’d ever invite to my house but that shouldn’t bother you. Unless you have some sort of complexes, I don’t even understand the superiority nonsense – we just have different moral standards. I’m happy and comfortable with mine and I wish you good luck dealing with yours.

joana on February 11, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Hi Tina

Thanks!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on February 12, 2012 at 12:45 AM

And she’s running in my congressional district. Woot.

reagant on February 12, 2012 at 1:15 AM

And she’s running in my congressional district. Woot.

reagant on February 12, 2012 at 1:15 AM

I see a lot of whining about the redistricting map in the Deseret News. Looks like a great map to me; divides SLC into three rural districts and crushes the liberal city votes with endless miles of rural conservative votes.

Problem?

Jaibones on February 12, 2012 at 1:26 AM

joana on February 11, 2012 at 8:12 PM

I admire the lady greatly, but your point is irrefutable. We hear her name for two reasons — gender and race. That said, I wish her success in the UT-4 district; I believe she is running against Utah’s only Democrap and she’d be an enormous improvement.

Jaibones on February 12, 2012 at 1:31 AM

joana on February 11, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Ah yes, the condescending finale. Well done. I thought I recognized you, tierra.

Mr_Magoo on February 12, 2012 at 2:27 AM

joana on February 11, 2012 at 10:44 PM

It always ends up getting personal doesn’t it.

Mr_Magoo on February 12, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Is she special because she is black? This racialist crap has to end.

borntoraisehogs on February 11, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Pretty much. This is nothing but identity politics, republican brand. If she was white, would Tina write this post?

There are two conservative candidates who have a real conservative record of accomplishments running in the same primary. There may be reasons to settle for Mia Love. Her gender and her race aren’t goods ones though.

joana on February 11, 2012 at 3:15 PM

It’s a story because in contemporary politics, there have been many fewer Black Republicans whether they were Conservative or not. That they are moving back to the GOP is worthy of news and discussion regardless of the level of the seat they’re seeking; regardless of other candidates involves. Should we vote on skin color? No. Should we recognize that Black Americans are returning to the GOP? Absolutely.

hawkdriver on February 12, 2012 at 8:15 AM

involved

hawkdriver on February 12, 2012 at 8:16 AM

hawkdriver on February 12, 2012 at 8:15 AM
Well said. That is the idea I was stumbling around in part of my earlier posts. Just couldn’t seem to get the thought out.

It goes deeper than that. It embodies her whole life story.

Mr_Magoo on February 12, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Well, we’re all aware of the modern-day standard used to determine whether she’s black enough as far as the racial grievance crowd is concerned. It goes like this.

A half-black/half-white child born to a white mother and raised his by white grandparents in an all white neighborhood and schooled in all-white schools makes that child, when he grows up and becomes President, a 100% authentic black person who has lived the black experience.

A poor black child (Herman Cain) who is born to two black parents, has black brothers and sisters, who grew up in an all black neighborhood and attended all black inner-city schools, THAT child when he grows up and becomes a multi-millionaire businessman, is NOT an authentic black person who has lived the black experience.

Al Sharpton and anybody at the NAACP will provide further clarification, if you need a more detailed explanation.

Mahdi on February 12, 2012 at 10:49 AM

I need to add that, since I don’t know enough about this woman’s racial composition and up-bringing, she many not be an authentic black person according to the present standard set by the NAACP.

Mahdi on February 12, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I saw this comment on Mia Love’s Facebook page, where she posted a link to this article:

I see Joana from the Wimmer campaign left some of her typical “nice” comments again! LOL!

That would be Carl Wimmer for Congress.

Joana. Tsk. Tsk. Tsk.

Busted!

Mr_Magoo on February 12, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Comments from…

By the way, Senator Mike Lee, one of the best senators in congress, as well as the CfG, have already endorsed State Rep. Carl Wimmer in the primary. Wimmer, a member of The Patrick Henry Caucus, is a fantastic and accomplished conservative who, in my opinion, is certainly the most qualified republican to take on Jim Matheson next Fall.

Unfortunately, he isn’t a black woman, so Tina won’t write about him.

joana on January 9, 2012 at 8:43 PM

She is running in the new 4th district that the legislature created. And it sounds so far like she is the only GOPer running there.

The district is mostly west of Salt Lake, which is even more conservative than the city itself, and very rural.

From what I gather, I think she has a pretty good chance.

ConservativePartyNow on January 9, 2012 at 8:39 PM

joana on January 9, 2012 at 8:45 PM

I don’t know. I kinda dig the cut of her jib. Why are you so quick to be negative about her?

Bmore on January 9, 2012 at 8:59 PM

I’m not negative about her. I’m negative about this HA post – it’s identity politics and I hate that.

Mia Love has been the relatively powerless mayor of a small town for a couple of years. Maybe she has what it takes to be a good congresswoman, but frankly, who knows?

Carl Wimmer is probably the most charismatic and accomplished republican state legislator in Utah.

I certainly know who I’m going to be supporting.

joana on January 9, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Concerned citizen who refuses to get involved in identity politics (apparently identifying with white males is NOT considered identity politics) or campaign worker for Carl Wimmer? You be the judge.

Mr_Magoo on February 12, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Awesome. I hope she does well!

TX-96 on February 12, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Mr_Magoo on February 12, 2012 at 11:45 AM

You people need to stop being paranoid. For how many campaigns do I work? Every time someone disagrees with you on some candidate it doesn’t mean that person is a campaign worker. You just come across as conspiracy theorist nut-jobs. Or maybe Mr_Magoo is a campaign worker for Mia Love? Or maybe something else? Perhaps a Reptilian?

Worse that identity politics racists – crazy identity politics racists.

joana on February 12, 2012 at 12:48 PM

hawkdriver on February 12, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Huh, where do you see that happening? Blacks voted more democratic in 2008 than any time in history, Obama’s approval with them has always stayed sky high and in 2010 they were the only demographic that didnt’ show a pronounced tilt towards republicans.

Plus the idea that this is an article on electoral demographics is laughable. This is the promotion of a primary candidate for the sole reason that it’s a black female. It’s pure and simple identity politics.

joana on February 12, 2012 at 12:51 PM

joana on February 11, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Jaibones on February 12, 2012 at 1:31 AM

There are other candidates running and Mia Love is arguably the only nominee that could lose that seat to Jim Matheson – don’t underestimate him.

joana on February 12, 2012 at 12:53 PM

joana on February 12, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Was the story about Mia Love voting or running again as a Republican?

I’ve found it’s quite pointless to exchange with someone who’s here only to shill for a candidate. I’ll just say that I stand by my comment. Look at the GOP fields and elected bodies in city/state and federal levels and tell me there are less Black Conservative and Republicans contemporarily.

hawkdriver on February 12, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Was the story about Mia Love voting or running again as a Republican?

hawkdriver on February 12, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Make up your mind. Here’s your claim:

Should we recognize that Black Americans are returning to the GOP? Absolutely.

It’s false. African-Americans are more democrat than ever. Maybe there are more black GOP elected officials – I don’t have numbers for that – but that wasn’t your claim. I don’t really care about that anyway. I want better elected officials – their race is absolutely immaterial to me and to anyone but those who don’t play democratic style identity politics.

Pathetic that you have to resort to lies because you can’t admit you were proven wrong. I’m only here to shill for a candidate? The real problem: I’m not here to shill for Mia Love – and, even worse, I’ve called out those who are doing it just because she’s a black woman.

joana on February 12, 2012 at 1:30 PM

You people need to stop being paranoid.
joana on February 12, 2012 at 12:48 PM

And yet you never mentioned in this thread anything about Wimmer, whereas in the previous thread, you dropped several links to him and said you were voting for him.

Why should we believe anything you say now. Maybe you are working for his campaign, maybe not. Maybe you identify with white males more than black females. Maybe not. Maybe you are truly color-blind, maybe not. We no longer know… and frankly, I no longer care.

Mr_Magoo on February 12, 2012 at 1:33 PM

KOOLAID2 on February 11, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Certainly not Aunt Esther… ;-)

affenhauer on February 12, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Mia Love had an advantage that many children black and white lack growing up. A loving father in her home. The story on her does not go into where she grew up but she may owe that to her fathers choices as well. Even with a good father, it is not easy to escape the ghetto where doing the right thing is derisively called acting white.

dunce on February 12, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Mr_Magoo on February 12, 2012 at 1:33 PM

I said I was supporting him, not voting. Why the heck should I need to mention him in this thread too? I mean, do you understand that doesn’t make any sense? And what gives you the right to imply I’m lying? I mean, why don’t you disclose the name of every politician you may be supporting? Just to be sure you aren’t lying?

Anyway, thanks for mentioning him: people can now perfectly see how he’s a much more accomplished and serious conservative than Mia Love and the only reason she’s talked about is being black and female.

Again: I want distance from people like you. Those who vote or support politicians because of their skin color have a name – and not a pretty one. You are one of them.

joana on February 12, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Make up your mind. Here’s your claim:

Should we recognize that Black Americans are returning to the GOP? Absolutely.

Don’t be a rediculous obtuse ass. I was talking about candidates. Yes they are.

Blacks voted in droves for Obama. It doesn’t disprove my point.

joana on February 12, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Lied? Proven what? The thread was about an elected official. Not voters. Sorry if you invented part of a conversation that didn’t ever happen and then confused yourself. We’re done here, shill.

hawkdriver on February 12, 2012 at 3:27 PM

ridiculous ass …

hawkdriver on February 12, 2012 at 3:27 PM

dunce on February 12, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Great point. Here is some of her background:

She credits her parents with providing the foundation for her ideals. After many years of living in the unstable, regime-torn socialist island country of Haiti, her parents immigrated legally to the United States with $10 in their pockets in hopes of achieving the American Dream.

Mia was born in Brooklyn, New York and eventually moved to Connecticut. Mia recalls both parents working hard to earn a living, her father at times taking on second jobs cleaning toilets to pay for school for their three children. On the day of Mia’s college orientation, her father said something to her that would become the ethos for her life:

“Mia, your mother and I never took a handout.
You will not be a burden to society. You will give back.”

“I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.”
– Martin Luther King Jr., I Have a Dream, 1963.

It’s too bad that some people stil cannot judge a person by the content of their character rather than the color of their skin – regardless of how they learned about this person. Thanks Tina!

Mr_Magoo on February 12, 2012 at 9:10 PM