Video: The obligatory “dad shoots daughter’s laptop for writing disrespectful Facebook post” post

posted at 6:02 pm on February 10, 2012 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate. It’s obligatory twice over, once because it’s going mega-viral and twice because this is basically just a variation on those controversial police taser clips that get 800 comments whenever I post them. The disciplinarians among us will defend this guy just like they defend the cops in the taser vids whereas our resident softies will tut-tut the authority figure for an over-the-top abuse of power. I’ll leave you to guess on which side I, a noted RINO candy ass, come down.

Why did this guy post this online? He’s going to teach his daughter a lesson about airing family grievances on a public forum like Facebook by … airing his own family grievances on YouTube? And doing it with a sensational flourish at the end that’s guaranteed to multiply the audience for his daughter’s Facebook post by 10,000? I think Ace is right. Feels like a stunt.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I did. And I appreciate his unwillingness to use media any further in regards to the issue. I still think his initial reaction was over the top and by pointing out some of the details I wasn’t trying to come to conclusion. My point is that she may have some points as well. A healthy conversation would have served the situation much better. And, it sounds as if they have had some of those since.

Someone mentioned earlier that he didn’t need my psycho-analysis to know that the dad was being a drama queen. I think that was well said. I may have over-analyzed, but the end result is that the father over-reacted and that many are making poor assumptions about what may be a perfectly fine young girl acting like a 15 year old.

mtucker5695 on February 11, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Until you have walked in this man’s shoes, your judgments of him are absolutely meaningless. You have not lived with his daughter for 15 years, but he has. You did not experience her acting up, but he has. You were not present when he has discussed her behavior, but he was.

Is it more clear for you yet?

Conservative4Ever on February 11, 2012 at 3:53 PM

This guy is a tremendous jackass. How come just confiscating it wasn’t good enough? Or donating it to some worthy outfit? Or maybe just taking a hammer to it?

jeroboam on February 11, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Seriously think about what you have said. All of those actions still mean she loses her computer forever. Same as shooting her computer. What difference does it make on the method of destroying her computer?

Again you sound like a whinny liberal who doesn’t like guns. That really seems like your hang up. The use of a gun.

Conservative4Ever on February 11, 2012 at 3:56 PM

But look at the assumptions people are placing on this girl. Lazy, disrepectful, and the alike. As I said before, she acted like a 15 year old

Public humility is not a good method and can be a very distructive way of parenting.

mtucker5695 on February 11, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I made no assertions about the girl. In fact, this girl has the greatest thing in the world going for her–a parent who wants to maintain a relationship with her (and if the mother supports him as fully as he said, she has at least 3 parents who care enough to stay involved in her life). If this incident brings an understanding between them that they can maintain a few more years, this girl will have become an outstanding contributing member of society.

Parenting is still the most sure-fire way to make adults grow up and take responsibility for their own lives and decisions. (Too bad some will stay clueless even then.) Maybe that’s why so many Millennials say they never want kids–because they don’t think they could be as selfless as they need to be while all of their friends continue to be self-absorbed.

And I don’t have a problem with the girl acting like a kid. As I told my 14 year old a few days ago, I don’t have a problem with kids not being perfect. Kids go through growing pains physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually–just like we did. If she has an attitude problem right now re. something, I’ll love her while she goes through it. But there are certain behaviors I will not tolerate while she goes through it, and if she is flagrant enough in those mis-behaviors, she will reap the whirlwind (though not with hollowpoints.)

As a parent I am always more concerned with the finished product than the current status. That means I consistently use a variety of tools with my child (and public humiliation is only effective when being used to respond to public action.) Society is only concerned with the current status, so its primary sculpting tool is criticism, because society is more interested in shallowness and appearances than character and capability. On the other hand, I have the sacred responsibility of giving my child the opportunities and strength to do whatever God wants her to in this world, and no one can prepare her better than I can when I take that job seriously.

rwenger43 on February 11, 2012 at 4:17 PM

…ButterflyDragon…yawn, I find your comment to be shallow and pedantic.

Tracker3 on February 11, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Well done… a Family Guy reference in the middle of a ‘serious’ conversation.

Moo the Dog on February 11, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Is it more clear for you yet?

Conservative4Ever on February 11, 2012 at 3:53 PM

I’ve been walking in the shoes of a parent for many years now. I know that so many want to make this man a hero and my open critiscm of his approach and possible motivaions is a threat to your new idol. I imagine a great many of parents that have lost control of thier kids especially look up to him as he is expressing a level of frustration they can relate to.

I hope I don’t have to walk in his shoes when my daughter reaches 15. That is why I take a very pro-active approach to my parenting. But even then, there are no guarantees in life. Fortunately my daughter and I have a pretty good line of communication and she takes my discipline very seriously.

Now, you can keep banging your self-righteous drum to the tune of your new hero in the battle between parent and child. But as for me, I’ll march to a different tune that hopefully with God’s grace will not lead me to act like such an ass as this father (and we can all be asses at times) did or an assumptive prick like yourself that thinks that those whom disagree simply haven’t walked in someone elses shoes.

Now my daughter is in her teal and black dress. I’m going to get into my best outfit and take her to the daddy daughter dance tonight. But first out to dinner at her favorite restaurant.

I hope it’s getting clearer to you. If not, no loss to me.

mtucker5695 on February 11, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Why are you disregarding the fact that they had those conversations before, when he punished her, took away the computer, and ultimately grounded her for three months for similar offenses? It’s like you’re determined to insist this guy just went off, out of the blue, and freaked out on his poor innocent little girl.

Laura Curtis on February 11, 2012 at 3:38 PM

How do you know what their previous conversation consisted of? Just grounding her and taking items away doesn’t mean he fulfilled his role as a parent to teach his child how to behave in a similar situation in the future.

Granted, teenagers are a bundle of nerves and emotions that need to be tactfully dealt with.

How do you not see that her behavior mimics his completely? She is acting just like her father.

ButterflyDragon on February 11, 2012 at 5:35 PM

From the video, this is a parent escalating his non-corporeal punishment due to offspring’s continuing behavior. This is the nuclear option, embarrassing them in front of their friends.

Nomas on February 11, 2012 at 6:53 PM

I hope it’s getting clearer to you. If not, no loss to me.

mtucker5695 on February 11, 2012 at 4:45 PM

You have not walked in his shoes. Which is very clear in my post. You however ignore that part.

You also are projecting by claiming he is my idol. I’ve never stated any such thing.

As for calling me a prick….I won’t stoop to your childish behavior. Both my children are adults, who know not to call others names because they disagree with another.

Have fun at the daddy daughter dance.

Conservative4Ever on February 11, 2012 at 7:33 PM

That’s what I call “Red Neck Justice”. I love it!

mcplumbercuda on February 11, 2012 at 8:08 PM

mtucker5695 on February 11, 2012 at 4:45 PM

I’m sorry but i have got to wsay this, i have been reading through all the comments and i cant help it . I think YOU have a serious problem. You seem to think that you know everything and that you are the moral authority on parenting. So you have a good kid , great im happy for you. personally i have given birth to 6 little boys ranging in current ages from 5-17 . I treat all of my children exactly the same , in that they all have the same rules and expectations. however there is no one true way to parenting. my 16 year old responds very well to heart felt conversations. my 17 yr old? not so much, as a matter of fact NOTHING we tried worked with him , not time outs not long talks , not major arse whooping, not grounding him , nothing. it came to a point where my husbandd and i had no choice but to find somewhere else for him to live because i could not allow him to continue on as he was under my roof without haveing it affect his younger brothers. HOW DARE YOU MAKE ASSUMPTIONS ABOUT ANOTHER PARENT! You are part of the reason kids are getting away with murder these days. Your sanctimonius attitude is that of a dcf worker on steroids. im glad i dont know you and i truly hope your child turns out well but as for me all i can do is pray that you STAY THE HELL AWAY FREOM MY KIDS! the last thing i need as a parent is another “rational adult” putting it in my kids heads that they should never be disciplined by anything more than a heart felt talk or loss of priveledges. Face it sometimes the consequences should be harsh.

katee bayer on February 11, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Well done… a Family Guy reference in the middle of a ‘serious’ conversation.

Moo the Dog on February 11, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Hey, hadn’t seen you comment since Christmas.

Are we friends? How do I know you?

If you want, you can email me at rich.tti@hotmail.com

rwenger43 on February 12, 2012 at 12:54 AM

mtucker5695 on February 11, 2012 at 4:45 PM

katee bayer on February 11, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Is this an example of what you mean by not making assumptions about other parents?

theaddora on February 12, 2012 at 1:24 AM

katee bayer on February 11, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Thanks for sharing that Katee. Sorry to hear about your 17 year old. Sometimes life is amazing. I’ve seen kids that been outstanding in their youth fall into a horrible life and I’ve seen kids that were amongst the worst go on to achieve amazing things. I hope he is the later. Yes, being a parent is tough. No matter who you are or what your children are like.

To help clarify, I am a strict parent. In fact, many of our friends who consider themselves strict find the standard in our home to be very high. And, we have adapted our discipline practices according to each of childrens needs. My eldest son is very concerned with pleasing us. It doesn’t take much to discipline him and have him respond. My daughter, wow! Her spirit is so strong and her will is incredible. But she deeply values her social interaction so her consequences often are wrapped around her time with friends and school activities. I will alwasy spank when it is called for as well. And I always process the discipline with the child so that they fully understand “action-consequence”.

Oddly, in the process of doing this, “respect” has almost never been the issue. And, public humility has never been necessary.

If you were to meet me, I’m certain you would feel your kids were safe and welcomed. But I’m not here to please others. Suffice to say, this fathers response does reflect greater issues that need to be dealt with. And in the same manner that others have scolded me for “judging” him, I would ask that others refrain from judging his daughter for doing something stupid. She is only 15.

And yes, I stand by statements that her complaints, although not properly expressed and at times clearly childish, may hold some glimmers of merit that this father could glean from a healthy conversation with her, as opposed to the crushing blow he delivered.

Best wishes to you and yours.

mtucker5695 on February 12, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Have fun at the daddy daughter dance.

Conservative4Ever on February 11, 2012 at 7:33 PM

I’m glad you won’t stoop to it. At times good people can be asses. Myself included. And, when others ask rhetorical questions which are intended to be condescending then I think we both agree that perhaps they are being a prick. It doesn’t mean they are a bad person, perhaps just caught in the moment.

mtucker5695 on February 12, 2012 at 10:33 AM

mtucker5695 on February 12, 2012 at 10:33 AM

You would be very wrong on your assumption concerning ” a prick”

Conservative4Ever on February 12, 2012 at 12:24 PM

I thought the video was great. The daughter publicly trashed her parents via facebook. Her father responded in kind on youtube. That’s really all that happened here. All that makes this video interesting is that he shot the laptop at the end and that the video ended up going viral.

It’s a gun, get over it you sissy rinos.

jhffmn on February 13, 2012 at 10:18 AM

This “mean old Dad” sarc/OFF………even got a visit from the local CPS & LEOs…….

The Daily reported in a Facebook post on Saturday, the former Marine, wrote that Child Protective Services officials came to his home in Stanly Co., and interviewed him and his daughter — separately — after viewers of the video called with concerns about his actions.

He said the police also stopped by.

Neither authority decided to pursue anything against Jordan.

“The police by the way said ‘Kudos, sir,’ ” Jordan wrote. “How’s about those apples? Didn’t expect THAT when you called the cops did you?”

Obviously some bleeding heart tried to make trouble for the Dad – of COURSE all under the guise of ‘making sure the teen isn’t in danger’

YouTube Dad who shot daughter’s laptop says he got visit from authorities

Katfish on February 13, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I expected from the controversy surrounding this before watching that the father was going do something very outrageous. This was all very mild, it amazes me that anyone would think that he went over the line. The American people have become such spoiled wimps.

NeverLiberal on February 13, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Let’s say this father had posted on his daughter’s face book page a video in which he said the following:
“Hannah, I don’t care that you believe and say I’m lazy and you’re worked to death. But since you’ve used gutter words on the Internet to express these opinions, you no longer have a laptop. I’ve given it to charity. By the way, I still expect you to empty the dishwasher, sweep the floor, wipe the counter and make your own bed.”
I think parents should make sure their kids aren’t using bad language on the Internet, so I wouldn’t have thought twice about it.
It’s disturbing this man hasn’t grown up enough to refrain from breaking things when he gets angry. It’s too bad he’s ill mannered enough to “waste” good equipment in front of people who might not be able to afford to buy what he’s breaking. And it’s really a shame he’s teaching by example the same behavior to his child.
Most of all, I find it disturbing that this father didn’t just want to keep his daughter from cussing. It’s clear he’s threatened that she had the nerve to privately express her teenaged view of his actions to her friends.
Hopefully, he’s nothing worse than so thin skinned and insecure he cares what lazy, deluded, self absorbed people ( I.E.,teenagers) think of him. I mean I want to believe the overkill in the video is just due to how hurt and frustrated he is. But after watching this, I couldn’t help thinking : Didn’t he design it to embarrass or intimidate his daughter into silence? Listen to how he makes an issue about Hannah calling a cleaning lady a cleaning lady. (I am one, by the way.) Hannah wasn’t being disrespectful. She didn’t call the lady the maid. It seems to me, here Dad is out to undermine Hannah’s confidence about saying anything at all, in order to prevent her from eventually saying something he especially doesn’t want said. So what is there about this man’s private behavior he’s afraid his daughter might eventually reveal ? I hope this kid isn’t in a bad situation because–if the father has money–people turn a blind eye.

ansonia on February 13, 2012 at 7:29 PM