Video: The obligatory “dad shoots daughter’s laptop for writing disrespectful Facebook post” post

posted at 6:02 pm on February 10, 2012 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate. It’s obligatory twice over, once because it’s going mega-viral and twice because this is basically just a variation on those controversial police taser clips that get 800 comments whenever I post them. The disciplinarians among us will defend this guy just like they defend the cops in the taser vids whereas our resident softies will tut-tut the authority figure for an over-the-top abuse of power. I’ll leave you to guess on which side I, a noted RINO candy ass, come down.

Why did this guy post this online? He’s going to teach his daughter a lesson about airing family grievances on a public forum like Facebook by … airing his own family grievances on YouTube? And doing it with a sensational flourish at the end that’s guaranteed to multiply the audience for his daughter’s Facebook post by 10,000? I think Ace is right. Feels like a stunt.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I’m from up north…so is a grenade out of the question?

KOOLAID2 on February 10, 2012 at 8:02 PM

A stunt?

It’s inconceivable that scheming attention wh0res would actually do that for a cheap 15 minutes.

locomotivebreath1901 on February 10, 2012 at 8:11 PM

I don’t have to be a parent to know that exploiting and publicly shaming a child on the internet is abuse.

AlphaNeutered Beta_Male

You mean like she did to her parents with that post on facebook? You think there aren’t children that aren’t abusive toward their parents? You need to get out of your basement more.

Dr Evil on February 10, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Rednecks is funny.

KeninCT on February 10, 2012 at 8:11 PM

A couple of clarifications for folks. :) The New Testament is full of lessons about learning how to keep material possessions from ruling over your life. This is why it is prescient in a discussion like this one.

Also (and this is probably the biggest lesson of all and I did not even think of it at the beginning) NOTHING ON THE INTERWEBS IS EVER EVER PRIVATE!!!!! Every 15 year old girl needs to know this in her soul, everything that goes on the internet goes everywhere immediately…that should be in the internet rules alla linked to earlier…

airmonkey on February 10, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Rednecks is funny.

KeninCT on February 10, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Metrosexuals is boring.

Cowboy is a compliment on February 10, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Stop being so squeamish about guns and teens. If taught well & right, it is a life lesson.
Conservative4Ever on February 10, 2012 at 7:04 PM

I’m pretty sure it is more about giving PO’ed girl with an attitude those hollow points.
cozmo on February 10, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Handing a loaded weapon to an angry, spoiled teen and telling her “Now shoot up your stuff as your punishment, young un.” What could go wrong?

whatcat on February 10, 2012 at 8:16 PM

The girl needs to learn to appreciate what her parents do for her, but at the same time, she is entitled to her own opinions (and express them to the world if she wishes), and her father needs to accept that.

TigerPaw on February 10, 2012 at 7:52 PM

She is entitled to lie about her parents, claim they’re enslaving her and treating her badly, and basically run them down in public? On equipment and via an internet connection they provide? And they just have to sit there and take it and let her reputation-harming lies go unchallenged, because…. ?

Laura Curtis on February 10, 2012 at 8:18 PM

You’re=your

sicoit on February 10, 2012 at 7:35 PM

One of the reasons I chose it was to provoke idiotic retorts like yours.

Along those lines, if your young child can embarrass you so badly you need to use a weapon, shouldn’t you grow a thicker skin? How would you deal with an adult?

antisense on February 10, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Wow….just, WOW….this time just for tigerpaw

When exactly did 15 year old children get the RIGHT to spout off any dang thing they please into the internet? Wait, it must be one of those “new” rights Obama made up…yup, i bet thats where tehy came from. Because when I was a child (and I am only 32 mind you) if I had PUBLICLY (yes everything posted on the interwebs is public–>see previous post) said that crap about my parents I would have got the 2 inch wide belt…as I earned on a few occasions. Please grow a pair (or a lady pair as the case may be) or change your moniker to kittenpaw as that would be more accurate.

(yes, I LOVE the use of parentheticals(no, that is not the correct word but I love the phonetics of it(yes, that is the correct use of phonetics( ;D ))))

airmonkey on February 10, 2012 at 8:24 PM

You can clearly see the guy is pissed. He can barely get through some of what he has to say. I vote not staged. My wife and I just watched this and were in total agreement with the dad’s sentiment. Then we started talking about how just 25 years ago, they were spanking us in the halls and lunch room with a paddle when we misbehaved. Back then we had a lot more respect for parents and teachers.

kerrhome on February 10, 2012 at 8:32 PM

He already had at least one discussion with her before about the same behavior, and she was grounded for it. He warned her next time the consequences would be worse. He kept his word.

darwin on February 10, 2012 at 6:57 PM

His FB page says that he’d told her he would put a bullet in the laptop if she did it again. His page (today) also says that one of two lessons she learned are that Dad will do what he promises, positive or negative.

I really recommend reading the (just a few) posts he’s got up on FB about this in reply to the media inquiries. Wasn’t sure what to think about his parenting decisions when I saw the video (even though I couldn’t stop laughing for the last 30 sec).

But on the FB page his tone, choice of words, description of his daughter’s reaction and their long talk afterwwards, his lack of acceptance of any media invites, and his explanation all point to a dad who truly cares about his daughter.

inviolet on February 10, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Back then we had a lot more respect for parents and teachers.

kerrhome on February 10, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Imagine that.

Have fun, folks. I’m done for the evening; I need to get back to the guy who ‘gets it.’

jersey taxpayer on February 10, 2012 at 8:41 PM

TigerPaw on February 10, 2012 at 7:52 PM

No one is entitled to be stupid, self-centered, and entitled, and to splash their mess onto everyone else.

DrMagnolias on February 10, 2012 at 8:42 PM

My first thought is this guys a d**k, and my second thought is he’ll be buying a new laptop tomorrow (I hope) and then I go back to my first thought.

therealfranklin on February 10, 2012 at 8:44 PM

TigerPaw on February 10, 2012 at 7:52 PM

When she is a taxpaying adult, paying for her own rent, food, clothing, electronics and transportation, she can express whatever opinion she wants. As long as she’s living under her parent’s roof, she need to shut her yap and get with the program.

Wendya on February 10, 2012 at 8:46 PM

kerrhome on February 10, 2012 at 8:32 PM

I agree. He was angry and hurt, and had every right to be–the fact that he is the dad doesn’t mean he hasn’t feelings or they don’t matter. If I were her parent, I would strip her room down to mattress and sheets, give her one outfit she had to wash out in the sink each night, take away virtually every single luxury (cell phone, telephone, television), and give her plenty of nutritious food that would serve her as she was doing a mountain of chores. She would have plenty of “me” time to contemplate her priorities.

DrMagnolias on February 10, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Wendya on February 10, 2012 at 8:46 PM

As I read the other day, “Why is it that everyone is running around supporting someone’s right to be an ill-informed moron spouting ignorance? Is that really a virtue? One great reason our country has the problems it does is that everyone seems to think they have a right to an opinion, and to be heard, no matter how ill-informed and ignorant they are.”

DrMagnolias on February 10, 2012 at 8:49 PM

I actually found this video to be creepy and disturbing.

You teach your child responsibility by putting bullets through belongings?

I find it extra creepy when he was counting off the rounds and said the mom wanted him to put one in for her.

It was like the laptop was a surrogate for what he wanted to do to his child.

Very disturbing.

And I’m a gun nut. But this just seemed over the top and I fail to see how it taught his child anything other than how to throw a bigger tantrum than before. “Hey, if you don’t like the way things go, just destroy stuff!!!”

ButterflyDragon on February 10, 2012 at 8:51 PM

This is pretty messed up.

You-Eh-Vee on February 10, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Dr Evil on February 10, 2012 at 8:11 PM

One’s a 15 year old girl.

The other is a middle aged father with a loaded weapon.

Bit of a difference.

You-Eh-Vee on February 10, 2012 at 8:55 PM

But you do have to be a parent to know what it takes to parent your own specific child in a way that works.

tommy-t on February 10, 2012 at 7:48 PM

True. Something tells me Cowboy doesn’t know Cowgirl, and thus, has failed and will continue to fail.

Hueydriver on February 10, 2012 at 8:58 PM

antisense on February 10, 2012 at 8:19 PM

One of the reasons I chose it was to provoke idiotic retorts like yours.

Heh….heh….do u really want to know? Figure it out. Apparently, you are young and have no children. Therefore, you have nothing to say that is concrete to back up your rhetoric.

“If it were me, I would post a picture of my kid in their diapers or dorky Halloween costume. Lighten up Francis.”

Yes, yes, you probably would. Ooooooohhhhhh, that’ll show em! NOT!

You’re “moniker” says it all. ;)

sicoit on February 10, 2012 at 7:33 PM

No, sir/madam, you need to grow up and decide who is the parent and who is the child. nuff said.

sicoit on February 10, 2012 at 8:59 PM

It was like the laptop was a surrogate for what he wanted to do to his child.

Very disturbing.

ButterflyDragon on February 10, 2012 at 8:51 PM

You’re kidding, right?

Wendya on February 10, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Folks, the kid was as disrespectful as you can be to a parent. No doubt. Deserves to be punished. Without even a little doubt. Dad on Youtube taking out his anger with a handgun at the object of his anger? Over the top.

hawkdriver on February 10, 2012 at 9:30 PM

This is long, so thanks if you took the time to read it. At the root of this is Narcissistic Personality Disorder. It is a form of sociopathic behavior that exists in about 9% of adults. It rears its ugly head in a few areas, the most common one being “parenting”. There is an excellent book on it by Susan B. Forward called “The Toxic Family”.
The short end of it is that the parent has a “god complex” and it’s easy to exercise that complex upon your children. Note the task types that the daughter is complaining about “getting you your coffee”, or “cleaning up your mud after walking on the floors I cleaned” and “Shoveling manure while you lay around and watch”.
She wasn’t complaining about the chores he cited, making her bed, doing the dishes, and taking out the trash. She did mention that she did them. But her complaint was that about doing additional work for him. Notice, he’s not complaining about her NOT doing chores. He’s projecting her complaints on cleaning up after him onto the normal chores kids do. Her complaint is that she is doing so many chores she can’t even get to bed until 10pm because she has homework to do as well.
She’s not complaining about having to find a job either, she’s complaining about him bringing it up “everyday”. Keep in mind that she is only 15 and can’t drive yet. Contrary to what the first impression is, this is not a girl who feels entitled. This is a girl who feels belittled and is exhausted from trying to please her father. It may appear he’s telling her to do “her” chores, but she’s actually cleaning up after him and her complaint is that he watches her work and doesn’t help.
It’s also note worthy that the family has a maid. So, a maid does the chores a parent would normally do. To boot, the daughter has to get him his coffee, clean up the mud he tracked in on the floors she just cleaned, and she has to shovel fertilizer into the garden while he watches. I’m a parent of four kids. They have their chores, I have mine, Candice has hers. And there is a lot of grey area and times when we simply have to help each other out. But I would not think to have my kids get my coffee for me nor would I think that when I track mud onto a floor just cleaned that it should be someone else’s problem. And when doing chores outside, I work alongside my kids. I don’t sit on my ass and watch them. Also, his tyraid about “when I was your age” is a load bull on par with “I walked uphill both ways to school”.
In short, an NPD parent disguises their intentions as being for the betterment of everyone else when in reality they feel entitled to be served. And if you don’t serve them, then damned be to you. You will pay the wrath of the NPD. Children in these types of homes grow up showing the same emotional signs as children raised by alcoholics. Why? Because in both situations the parent’s needs are paramount and the child’s needs and consideration are deemed unworthy of even a second thought.
These parents are likely to complain on and on about their kids and what a difficult time they have with them. How unhappy they are and how they don’t know where they went wrong. But when you meet the kid, you find out they are an all “A” student, captain of the track team, on academic scholarship, and so forth. Ultimately, the goal of NPD parents is control through fear (3 months grounding) and humility (posting a video for the world to see). This father is not a “safe” person for his daughter to express herself with. His ultimate goal is gaining “respect” in order to meet his “god” complex. What happened to teaching her to be an adult, or leading by example? How much more effective would it have been to tell her you love her to spite her anger? This is a war waged by him designed to crush her spirit, diminish her independence, and to make sure his needs are paramount. It is a perversion of true parenting.
Yet on the video post people are cheering him on and feeding the very desire that is destroying his daughter. Remember, he never complained that she didn’t do her chores. He’s angry she didnt’ respect him in the process. As if that was the purpose of chores.

mtucker5695 on February 10, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Also (and this is probably the biggest lesson of all and I did not even think of it at the beginning) NOTHING ON THE INTERWEBS IS EVER EVER PRIVATE!!!!! Every 15 year old girl needs to know this in her soul, everything that goes on the internet goes everywhere immediately…that should be in the internet rules Allah linked to earlier…
airmonkey on February 10, 2012 at 8:12 PM

How I LIKE this line/quote:

“You can’t stop the signal, Mal.
The signal goes everywhere, and I go everywhere.”

Mr. Universe
from the movie Serenity

It SOOOO describes todays internet.

listens2glenn on February 10, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Stunt!

Bmore on February 10, 2012 at 6:05 PM

I don’t think so. I think he was really pissed.

cptacek on February 10, 2012 at 9:33 PM

It is kind of a jerk move, though, to make your kids make your coffee and re-clean a floor that they just cleaned that you tracked mud on.

philoquin on February 10, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Ha ha, sucker! Geez, I hope for your sake you never have a teenager.

kg598301 on February 10, 2012 at 9:37 PM

I would have shot it with a shotgun, and than made the spoiled brat clean up the pieces afterwords. Good for this dad I will salute him with a beer tonight. I could easily tell who the whinny liberals were based on the equivalent comments of: daddy hurt the poor little girls feelings, and the fearful hyperventilation of seeing a gun comments. What this spoiled brat did, was she did not whine privately to a few friends, she posted a disrespectful rant for about her parents for the world to see on line, and like the brainless teenager she is, she did not think her actions would come back to bite her hard in the ASS, and now her actions have resulted in very unpleasant consequences for herself. This girl has no one to blame but herself.

Beastdogs on February 10, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Beastdogs on February 10, 2012 at 9:46 PM

What in your opinion was the worst thing the child did?

hawkdriver on February 10, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Stunt or not, The message works.

A shotgun would have been a nice touch. : )

Texyank on February 10, 2012 at 9:51 PM

You’re kidding, right?

Wendya on February 10, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Absolutely not. You think what he did was healthy in any way, shape or form? It was destructive and will do absolutely nothing in regards to teaching his daughter to be a better person.

And so far as being a surrogate, most definitely. I’m dead serious. He took his frustrations out on an inanimate object for something his daughter did. The computer didn’t post this stuff by itself.

He was in effect destroying a labor of work he did on her behalf. It’s just as bad as the silent treatment. Same effect and same principle behind it.

He wanted her to know she wasn’t worthy of his labor or time. He destroyed something that was between them. How many times did he mention the time he spent working on the computer and the money he put out for it?

And then he tells her she has to pay him back for something he willfully chose to destroy.

The man has some very serious issues. I’d suggest he go see a shrink as soon as possible.

No wonder this kid is messed up in the head and feels she needs to lash out on the internet in the manner she did.

ButterflyDragon on February 10, 2012 at 9:54 PM

mtucker5695 on February 10, 2012 at 9:31 PM

So… I’m guessing you were a real shit as a teenager and still feel put upon for having to clean up your room?

This poor, little, precious snowflake was expected to sweep the kitchen and living room floor, wipe down the kitchen counter, make her own bed and do her own laundry. Oh, the horror of it all!

This young girl learned a valuable lesson that is missing in much of today’s society. Actions have consequences. If she gets the point of the lesson, she will be a better person than the average brat who is given a “time out” but never held accountable for his/her behavior in any concrete way.

Wendya on February 10, 2012 at 9:59 PM

This is a man who loves and cares about his daughter; whether you agree with the way he did it or not he took the action he thought would get her attention because she was not responding to other forms of discipline. Discipline is training, training in how to deal with the real world, and we owe that to our children if we do love them. Too many parents don’t do this for their children today becauses it’s hard. He cares enough about her to make her life difficult when she is turning out to be a selfish, inconsiderate person. If he didn’t do that for her, LIFE would. And, it sounds like it opened up a very good dialogue with her as well. This thread reminds me of an Irma Bombeck quote, “Never judge a mother until you have walked in her feet of clay.” Amen!

kg598301 on February 10, 2012 at 10:00 PM

I just sent this out to my email list. This Dad ROCKS! Go ahead little child, try messing with your Daddy again! WOOOT WOOOOOT! And, she has to pay for his ammo! Only a southern parent can REALLY appreciate this. heh ;)

sicoit on February 10, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Guess that’s why I think this dad is a tool; I’m a Midwesterner.

Italia on February 10, 2012 at 10:01 PM

At the root of this is Narcissistic Personality Disorder.
mtucker5695 on February 10, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Meh. I’ll a pass on the psycho-babble, but this family does certainly seem to have it’s fair share of drama queens.

whatcat on February 10, 2012 at 10:05 PM

AlphaNeutered Beta_Male

Actually the kid shamed herself with her rude and disgusting comments, the fact that they were made public and she had to own up to her actions is hardly abusive.

PackerBronco on February 10, 2012 at 10:08 PM

I feel sorry for this family. The daughter will now hate her father and her mother even more than she does already. I suspect that there is more to this story than what he is telling us. And being that irate about a 15 yo getting a job and, on top of that, not giving her any money for chores is beyond me. I have a 17 yo daughter and it’s not always that easy to just go get a job for someone that young. And a little spending money for chores is just basic common sense. Anyway, like I said, I feel for this family and pray they will heal eventually.

TeaTrekkie on February 10, 2012 at 10:08 PM

The day I tell my kids they can’t speak freely with their friends is the day I turn in my parent card.

This guy is an asswipe.

Metro on February 10, 2012 at 10:10 PM

mtucker5695 on February 10, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Wendya on February 10, 2012 at 9:59 PM

You guessed wrong. I know my view of the issue goes against the grain so I’m not surprised I got a reaction like yours. But your reaction also seems to indicate that you didn’t read the entire post. It was a bit too long winded. My apologies if it’s more than you can take in at once.

mtucker5695 on February 10, 2012 at 10:10 PM

A 9mm? After that rant? No, that called for a .45. If you’re blowing holes in your kid’s computer then they should be big enough to let them really know you mean business.

alchemist19 on February 10, 2012 at 7:14 PM

I thought he was going to use a shotgun.

cptacek on February 10, 2012 at 10:12 PM

some free legal advice for anyone thinking of doing something like this – in most states that’s gonna count as a valid threat (brandishing of a firearm intended to intimidate a family member) and should subject this man to immediate arrest on family violence charges. Since the girl is under 18, he could be charged (and convicted!) of child abuse and do real time for it. At best, he’s likely to have a bond sworn out against him banning him from setting foot on the property as long as she’s there. If this is true, she’s got him by the short hairs now.

Now of course if this is all just a stunt and an act for the net on both their parts – which I very strongly suspect – then the joke is on all of us who watched it and wanted to believe it. We’ve been had!

Tom Servo on February 10, 2012 at 10:17 PM

~sits back and claps~ its about damn time . i probably wouldnt have shot the lap top, instead id have given it to one of the younger kids and rubbed it in her face quite a bit. too many bleeding hearts want to talk about the childrens rights….. yet in my mind the only rights a child has are to be well fed , safe from physical abuse ( and quite frankly a spanking with or without a belt is NOT abuse unless it leaves marks behind that last longer than 15 minutes and i got that from a cop) and a certain amount of physical privacy once they reach a certain age. they do NOT have the right to run rough shod over their parents, they do NOT have the right to be disrespectful or hateful. if i am the one paying for the roof over my childs head the food my child eats and the internet and electronics my child uses then i get to do whatever i want with them when the child gets out of line. and quite frankly that little girl went above and beyond disrespectful. i have a child who behaved like this at one time. he is 17 now but he no longer lives under my roof. call it what you want but i will not allow a child of mine to get away with that kind of blatant disrespect especially since the whole tirade was aimed at embarrassing her parents and cultivating sympathy so that this little girl would later be able to say that her parents are sooooooo mean and attempt to get what she wants from them through other channels. dont tell me this girl didnt know that a teacher or other liberal bleeding heart wouldnt see this . she knew what she was doing. she put herself and her younger siblings at risk of being yanked from the home because shes a spoiled little girl who wants to be given whatever she wants and not have to do anything to earn it

katee bayer on February 10, 2012 at 10:19 PM

ButterflyDragon on February 10, 2012 at 9:54 PM

The only issue he has is a disrespectful, spoiled and ungrateful child who decided to whine to the world about how “abused” she is because she’s expected to do chores.

I find it disturbing that you would even suggest he was pretending to shoot his daughter when he destroyed that computer. That really says more about you than destroying a computer he owns says about him.

Wendya on February 10, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Lordy – the volume of touchy feely in here is nothing short of ASTOUNDING!

BUT that Dad a Beer! (hell a CASE)

I sent this linky to my 31 year old Son (successful young man never been in a jail nor poor in his life and he EARNED his way)

He LAUGHED his ASS off on the phone with me as we agreed how EASY this snarky butt little girl got off!!!

NONE of US posters were THERE to SEE how many chores were done or NOT – and to that I say TOTALLY IRRELEVANT! A CHILD does NOT disrespect ANY adult much LESS her PARENTS ………PERIOD!

Ever since Doc Spock spouted off about spanking as abuse America has been descending to this sad and pathetic level.

Katfish on February 10, 2012 at 10:20 PM

BUY* that Dad even

Katfish on February 10, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Wendya on February 10, 2012 at 10:20 PM

How did that kid grow up to be a disrespectful, spoiled and ungrateful child at this man’s knee with his awesome parenting skills he’s displayed in that video?

Anyone who thinks this is emotionally healthy for their child should be stripped of their parental rights and their children put in a foster home.

ButterflyDragon on February 10, 2012 at 10:27 PM

ButterflyDragon on February 10, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Aren’t you a libertarian or something?

sharrukin on February 10, 2012 at 10:29 PM

mtucker5695 on February 10, 2012 at 10:10 PM

I read the post. To be honest, I wrote it off as soon as you suggested he had NPD. The rest of your post turned the disrespectful daughter into a victim because she’s not being treated like a little princess. Destroying her computer (actually it’s HIS computer since she’s only 15) because she acted like an ass is in no way comparable to child abuse. Expecting her to perform chores is not enforcing slavery.

If she learns from this, his daughter won’t be out with the other entitled, immature brats protesting at the nearest occupy site. She’ll be too busy working, going to school and being a responsible citizen.

Wendya on February 10, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Wendya on February 10, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Yep. If nothing else the daughter should have learned that it’s a bad idea to post stupid rants on facebook where you criticize people who have authority over you. She’s better off learning now that actions like that have serious consequences than learning it a couple years down the road when she posts something about her boss and all the extra work she’s made to do for them and loses her job for it.

alchemist19 on February 10, 2012 at 10:36 PM

ButterflyDragon on February 10, 2012 at 10:27 PM

She’s a 15 year old with internet access bitching to her friends about her “horrible” parents. When I was a kid, we didn’t have internet access so we whined to each other. We would never have dreamed of asking the local newspaper to publish our rants. The internet requires a certain level of maturity that 99% of 15 year old kids do not possess (and many adults). If I fault the father for anything, it’s for allowing his daughter to have a facebook page in the first place.

As for the daughter’s “emotional health”…. she’s not being beaten, she’s not being abused, she’s not being ignored, she’s just not having her every opinion validated as being brilliant and worthy of consideration. At 15, no one should give a rip about her opinions as she types away on her laptop and texts her buddies on her phone. At 15, you should be learning you’re not the center of the known universe.

Wendya on February 10, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Aren’t you a libertarian or something?

sharrukin on February 10, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Yep, I sure am.

But anyone that condones anything that will jack up our kid’s minds to do nothing more than pass on further bad parenting skills to future generations needs to be stopped.

You think this man is parenting in a manner that will not promote his daughter to be a victim in the future? She already feels entitled and like a victim, what he’s done is just reinforce her belief with that video.

At what point did he explain to her what the proper course of action should have been? He didn’t. He never once said what she should have done. Well, other than to shut up and get a job. But that doesn’t have anything to do with getting her to recognize her bad behaviors and how to avoid them in the future.

Every one of us has been a teenager and I’m sure many of us have teenagers. (Mine is 17) We should all remember the angst and frustrations that occur in that period of our lives. As parents it is our responsibility to teach our children to be responsible adults. As “awesome” as some people think this is, responsible adults don’t go around destroying things because they’re mad or to “get even” or to “teach a lesson”.

The last time she did something like this (he doesn’t even remember what it was) he obviously didn’t teach her how to avoid making the same mistake. It seems (from the limited amount of information he gave us) that she was grounded for 3 months.

Punishment for punishment’s sake will never teach a child how to adjust and make better decisions in the future.

ButterflyDragon on February 10, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Lordy – the volume of touchy feely in here is nothing short of ASTOUNDING!

The volume of wannabe cowboys in here who think that using a .45 on a piece of technology will somehow magically transform his daughters behavious is nothing short of…expected.

You-Eh-Vee on February 10, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Aren’t you a libertarian or something?

sharrukin on February 10, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Yep, I sure am.

ButterflyDragon on February 10, 2012 at 10:51 PM

A libertarian huh?

Funny how conservatives are more willing to leave people to live their lives how they want than many libertarians.

I don’t agree with his posting the video for the same reason she shouldn’t have posted the garbage she did. Privacy. That doesn’t mean he is abusing her or that we/the state needs to step in and take the kid away, or that he “needs to be stopped”.

sharrukin on February 10, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Why do I think he only shot a computer shell. Why didn’t he open it and really blast it open?
It was funny. The teen brat thinks making her bed equals making all the beds, doing her laundry equals all the laundry. emptying the dishwasher equals washing all the dishes. Another abused, overworked teen (in her mind), I have one of my own. He doesn’t even remember what his laptop or phone look like anymore.

lonestar1 on February 10, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Wendya on February 10, 2012 at 10:32 PM

I agree with you on some points. She was disrepectful and should not have posted on facebook. I’ve had conversations about this with my younger nieces and nephews (my kids don’t get a FB page yet). I make sure they know they can lose a job or get in trouble with the law over FB. It’s a very real issue.

But again, you’re missing a key point to my position on this. He’s not mad at her for not doing chores! She does do her chores! She’s not mad at him for asking her to make her bed, or take out the trash, or unload the washer. This father is telling her everyday to get a job. She can’t even drive yet. She cleans the floors and he drags mud on them and tells her to clean them again. Now if she’s lying about this, then why didn’t he mention that?

There are things going on that we just don’t know. Her anger and her FB post about it don’t match up to his anger and his video about it. So there are missing pieces to this story.

She was stupid and acted like a 15 year old.

He was stupid and acted like a 15 year old too.

Neither are worthy of praise. But as a father of four kids, I could never forsee myself acting this way. It seems thin skinned on his behalf. My daughter has given me hell. More so than my three boys. But I’m quick to remind her that I’m not raising her to love me, I’m raising her to become an adult someday. One of the worst things you can do as a parent is let the kids get the better of ya. In this case, he let his daughter get the better of him and didn’t react like an adult.

mtucker5695 on February 10, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Well, we can certainly see where the daughter gets her temper and language.

Until my kids were adults, they understood that to use Facebook, they must allow me to be their Facebook friend. None owned a laptop until they were adults, because they didn’t have the money. But even before the era of Facebook, they grew up in a family where it was understood the importance of family unity, and that to publicly humiliate any member of the family was to tear down your own house. We parents also abided by that. If we needed to discipline our kids, it was done quickly, effectively and in private. Three out of three kids have never posted anything disrespectful to us on Facebook. That is not surprising, because they are not disrespectful to us period. Nor are we to them.

Rules without Relationship equals Rebellion. What you see here is a father who publicly humiliates and bullies his child, while at the same time he overindulges her with materialistic gifts. There are so many ways for him to have set appropriate boundaries without humiliating her. Yes, she was wrong, but he’s the adult. I personally would have never given her a laptop in the first place, but after her first infraction, I would have simply taken it away until she was “more mature.” No lecture would be needed at all.

keats5 on February 10, 2012 at 11:14 PM

keats5 on February 10, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Thank you for stating the obvious that seems to escape so many of the cowboy tough guy parent wannabee’s on here.

mtucker5695 on February 10, 2012 at 11:20 PM

It seemed a bit extreme to me but I’m not the type to try to tell parents how they should raise their children. It seemed strange to complain about the money he spent on the laptop that he is about to shoot. Why not just sell the thing? What lesson is there in destroying something that he, no doubt, paid for?

Dollayo on February 10, 2012 at 11:42 PM

When Spawn decided that he wanted a FB page- he was 14 or 15-He was informed that it was fine but the first friend requests he sent out…would be to me and his father. It was not up for discussion.
He’s known from day 1 that we can see his wall. The few times he’s put up something not right-I’ve called him-if my ex didn’t beat me to it-and had him remove it.
After he graduates from high school in May I’ll give him the option of ‘defriending’ me.
My guess is that he won’t do it.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2012 at 11:52 PM

The only thing this dad did that was over the top was tell his daughter she still had to pay for the computer upgrades. He’s the one shooting the d*mn thing. If I was going to kill her computer I sure would have taken the goodies back out anyway. I really like charging her for the bullets though!

LeftCoastRight on February 10, 2012 at 11:56 PM

The updates to this story are even funnier.

Q: How did your daughter respond to the video and to what happened to her laptop?

A: She responded to the video with “I can’t believe you shot my computer!” That was the first thing she said when she found out about it. Then we sat and we talked for quite a long while on the back patio about the things she did, the things I did in response, etc.

Later after she’d had time to process it and I’d had time to process her thoughts on the matters we discussed, we were back to a semi-truce… you know that uncomfortable moment when you’re in the kitchen with your child after an argument and you’re both waiting to see which one’s going to cave in and resume normal conversation first? Yeah, that moment. I told her about the video response and about it going viral and about the consequences it could have on our family for the next couple of days and asked if she wanted to see some of the comments people had made. After the first few hundred comments, she was astounded with the responses.

People were telling her she was going to commit suicide, commit a gun-related crime, become a drug addict, drop out of school, get pregnant on purpose, and become a stripper because she’s too emotionally damaged now to be a productive member of society. Apparently stripper was the job-choice of most of the commenters. Her response was “Dude… it’s only a computer. I mean, yeah I’m mad but pfft.” She actually asked me to post a comment on one of the threads (and I did) asking what other job fields the victims of laptop-homicide were eligible for because she wasn’t too keen on the stripping thing.

pt on February 10, 2012 at 11:59 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2012 at 11:52 PM

I believe FB has settings that a use can employ so that posts are only visible to other chosen users. Could be wrong, though – I dumped FB awhile back, was a PITA I’m happy to live without.

whatcat on February 10, 2012 at 11:59 PM

I am of two minds on this. First impulse is ‘whoohoo!’ Second thought is, I don’t know what issues this girl has and what guidance she needs. Is she just a bit of a brat? Or do her parents provide discipline without guidance? Was there a more constructive way to address what’s going on than 3 month grounding followed by shooting up her computer?

Will the girl now be respectful?

Does the father have the fortitude and good character to parent on a daily basis off camera?

Lot of questions we don’t know the answers to. Taking the father at his word, this might have been a good idea. But quite possibly not.

Crispian on February 11, 2012 at 12:02 AM

I think this must be a stunt because laptops are pretty expensive, and it seems like an awful waste to shoot it just because your daughter was a brat. If this were real, it would make more sense for him to confiscate his daughter’s laptop and possibly sell it on eBay, but not destroy it–particularly when, by his own admission, he had just installed $130 worth of software on it.

OperaNerd1986 on February 11, 2012 at 12:37 AM

mtucker5695 on February 10, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Your complex of god is different from my complex of God, and I fully believe my responsibility as a Dad is to demonstrate for my children the heart and character of God, as best I can, until they are old enough to realize my serious flaws. God has none, while I do, so the closer I can mimic Him during my children’s formative years the better for all of us.

First, you want to label this guy based on a profile you glimpsed through an 8-minute windowshade he opened into his soul. The open window wasn’t for pseudo-psychologists who think they’re smart enough to fix other people but fail on their own; it was for his daughter and her friends.

ICYDK, many parents actually have goals for their children’s character development, and the parents who teach those lessons must be consistent in their application or the lessons are wasted–in which case all the parent would have done is put their child through emotional trauma without any resulting benefit (which is my definition for the word “abuse.”)

Some parents think it is important for kids to develop a strong work ethic. This doesn’t come naturally. One day each member of this girl’s generation will need to be productive enough to provide for 2.5 adults. With many kids totally unschooled in productive life habits, it may be the lessons this girl learned–possibly from this dad–who can provide for all of his critics–like you–in your dotage.

Other goals parents teach their kids might be keeping your word, respect for your authority, (such an ugly word to psychologists!) respect for your provider, respect for other working people, earning your own private property, and being careful when expressing your feelings. Do you think these lessons are worth teaching?

rwenger43 on February 11, 2012 at 1:03 AM

That man is my new hero.

mythicknight on February 11, 2012 at 1:23 AM

I don’t think it’s a stunt, feels pretty real to me. I’ve had the daughter coming of age and being a dumbass and this sounded right on the money. However, the 45 through a perfectly good laptop does seem a little stupid, actually a lot stupid. Just take it away and give it to mom or grand mom or some other worthy individual.

starman on February 11, 2012 at 1:42 AM

I might be a young twenty-something – part of the “me” generation – but I completely agree with what the father did.

Some folks are complaining that he lost control and that’s absolutely false. If you’ve ever been in a real *uncontrollable* rage you know darn well that you aren’t going to take the time to film a video and make a coherent argument/explanation before doing your unhinged deed – you’re just gonna do it. This man was (quite understandably) upset but he took the time to explain his actions and the background for ‘em beforehand and never appeared to lose his focus.

Was his decision the best one in the world? No, but it certainly wasn’t you-need-help-dude bad. I guarantee you one way or another his daughter will learn from this in the end – and as any parent could probably tell you if you aren’t one, giving a kid a truly valuable and lasting lesson is worth quite a bit.

Aquarian on February 11, 2012 at 2:41 AM

My best friend’s dad broke his BB gun in two by beating it on the tree in his front yard because that’s what he said he’d do if he ever heard of us shooting birds with it.
We did and so he did.
We learned several lessons that day, one of them being that his dad meant what he said.

Chuck on February 11, 2012 at 3:54 AM

Did anyone catch the reference to a “step-mother”? I’m sensing some anger issues there.

Look, the dad set out the limitations for his daughter’s actions. She crossed the line and dad made her suffer the consequences for it. Bluff called. Good for him.

I don’t think this was a stunt as he was pretty ticked off about his daughter’s rebellious behavior.

BigAlSouth on February 11, 2012 at 7:02 AM

TigerPaw on February 10, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Not with their gear. Words have consequences, and she now has to accept that.

elfman on February 11, 2012 at 7:53 AM

What in your opinion was the worst thing the child did?

hawkdriver on February 10, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Used his expensive present to slander the family with false charges after being warned he’d destroy it if she did it again. He does have rage problems, but that’s what makes the video funny.

elfman on February 11, 2012 at 8:02 AM

ButterflyDragon on February 10, 2012 at 8:51 PM

…ButterflyDragon…yawn, I find your comment to be shallow and pedantic.

What strikes me is the amount of judgemental comments here from people who attempt to psychoanalyze the father based on nothing more than personal assumptions.

Tracker3 on February 11, 2012 at 8:16 AM

ButterflyDragon on February 10, 2012 at 10:51 PM

He explained “the proper course of action” the second he put a bullet through the computer. She now knows to believe that words have consequences and that privileges and gifts are not rights. Yea, the hot headed apple didn’t fall far from the tree, but a lesson was learned.

elfman on February 11, 2012 at 8:19 AM

…the obligatory, “stupid is as stupid does.”

maverick muse on February 11, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Dollayo on February 10, 2012 at 11:42 PM

So many comments just like yours. I’m not just pointing to your post, but just using it as an example. So many think shooting the laptop is “extreme” but selling it isn’t? It amounts to the same thing. She loses her laptop forever either way.

The only reason people think it is extreme is deep down you don’t like guns. That is a separate issue. In the end, the brat loses her computer and she also learns a valuable lesson. Either learn to respect her parents or keep hating them and losing more privileges.

It will be her choice. In the end the actions of her father were appropriate. He followed up on a threat from a similar previous action on her part. He did what he should have done.

Now lets talk about the squeamishness of guns here…… :P

Conservative4Ever on February 11, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Perhaps a little more tolerance pop!

That PC laptop had rights too. Don’t be surprised when you get a visit from your local social service/sheriff dept liberals.

They will reprimand you for not giving the PC laptop some “timeout” in its room. Instead you blew it away. If you get less than 30 years in prison you will be lucky. You might even get tagged with a “hate crime” since that PC laptop appeared to be black.

We don’t want your kind in our trailer park !

BigSven on February 11, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Now lets talk about the squeamishness of guns here…… :P

Conservative4Ever on February 11, 2012 at 8:35 AM

You are mistaken, at least with me. I’m not against guns, in fact, I own a gun for protection and I’m a member of the NRA. I simply thought it was kinda strange for the father to destroy the computer. I would have said the same thing if he had smashed it with a hammer. You are correct that she gets punished if he simply takes it away, shooting it or not, but by destroying it he punishes himself too. Even if he has money to burn he could have donated the computer to someone who could really use it. The whole thing is just such a waste. I don’t see how destroying it punishes her any more than taking it away would have.

Dollayo on February 11, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Interesting comments from all sides.
I am a Texan and I can tell you I know people exactly like that guy. They work incredibly hard for what they have and I don’t envy them. They are very serious people. They aren’t crazy, they’re the result of a life spent worrying about where their next meal is coming from. They wouldn’t take charity but they would help anyone who asked for help without hesitation.

If this guy made any mistakes with his daughter, they were probably letting her get away with stuff she shouldn’t have done. He is one of those people who expects others to do what they say they’ll do and takes people at their word. His daughter will learn this in time. At this point, she’s feeling put upon, but that will change. Kids are all about pushing the envelope and in my personal opinion there are too many parents willing to tolerate it because they just don’t want the hassle of dealing with it. This is an object lesson, nothing more.

gordo on February 11, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Well, his daughter did act out like this once before so it’s not like he’s flying off the handle for no reason.

I like the way he’s even charging her for the bullets he has to use, and the money he spent fixing the laptop.

jdawg on February 11, 2012 at 10:36 AM

rwenger43 on February 11, 2012 at 1:03 AM

I absolutely think they are worth teaching. I’m teaching them to my children as they grow everyday. In fact, I so deeply respect these lessons that I would never teach them in the manner this man does. I, like you, hold God in high respect. I have devotionals with my children each night before bed. I find this to be an amazing time to translate the lessons of the bible in to everyday life. Good parenting is pro-active so that we don’t have to be re-active anymore than what’s necessary.

But I don’t think that teaching your child to clean up the mud you just tracked in on the floor they already cleaned teaches them anything other than to serve you. The same goes with getting me my coffee.

You talked about assumptions being miss applied based on a brief video. But what about the assumptions being placed upon the daughter?

1. She is 15 and can’t drive-he yells at her everyday to get a job?
2. She isn’t complaining about doing chores, she complaining that she has so many chores she can’t even get her homework done unless she stays up late.
3. Her complaint about helping in the garden was about him not doing the work and watching her do it.
4. She helps him clean up at his clinic (he mentioned this, she didn’t complain about it.
5. He has a maid. My wife and I could hire a maid but we’ve decided it would not set the right precidence for teaching our children (it’s a personal thing I know).

In short, this girl is doing her chores. And kudos to her for staying up late to do her homework!

I make assumptions and psychoanalyze. You are right. I’m sorry about that but I worked in social child development for 6 years and it’s a habit. Not always a good one.

But look at the assumptions people are placing on this girl. Lazy, disrepectful, and the alike. As I said before, she acted like a 15 year old, so did he. I know exactly how I would handle this situation. I’m a strict parent and my kids would have quickly lost their priveledges. But there is a role in “processing” the discipline with your child and not simply ruling by “force”. A heart-to-heart talk should have been in the mix. And, contrary to what most think on this site, respect is not the ultimate goal of parenting nor is best attained through force. It is an important dynamic in developing young adults.

Public humility is not a good method and can be a very distructive way of parenting. I think this man has other issues. Yes, he does meet the NPD classification based on what this video shows. I don’t expect many of you to know what that is. And I doubt most will even attempt to find out. It’s much easier to make assumptions about the daughter and move on with feel good statements.

mtucker5695 on February 11, 2012 at 11:23 AM

The key word in all of this is “disrespect” of her parents, and the lady she called the cleaning lady. Life is not a reality show to be put on facebook.

lea on February 11, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I don’t know if that always holds true, have any of yours’ ever shoplifted?

Cindy Munford on February 10, 2012 at 6:21 PM

I did once at some tender age under 5. My mother did the right thing by publicly humiliating me when she made me return the item personally. You have a valid point.

NotCoach on February 11, 2012 at 11:45 AM

No Cindy, none of mine have ever shoplifted. They are homeschooled–and that doesn’t mean that they’re innocent by any stretch of the imagination—but they know I shoplifted when I was a punk and they also know I got what was coming to me–and that was an ass beatin’….a private one FWIw.

ted c on February 10, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Nothing wrong with a little public humiliation sometimes. But regardless you are taking this far to personally. If your children act up, do or don’t shoot their laptops. That is your business and your problem. We won’t think any more or less of you or even concern ourselves with it unless you bring it to us.

NotCoach on February 11, 2012 at 11:50 AM

mtucker5695 on February 10, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Well, I read the whole post — and it was still idiotic.

“All parents have a God complex.” Where go you emo kids get this crap?

Solaratov on February 11, 2012 at 12:17 PM

alchemist19 on February 10, 2012 at 7:14 PM

He said it was a .45Auto.

Solaratov on February 11, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Well, I read the whole post — and it was still idiotic.

“All parents have a God complex.” Where go you emo kids get this crap?

Solaratov on February 11, 2012 at 12:17 PM

I never said “all parents”. And thanks for reading it. So, I’m an emo kid? How many emo kids do you really think are on hotair? Seriously.

mtucker5695 on February 11, 2012 at 12:48 PM

mtucker5695 on February 11, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I love how you chastise people for concluding things about the girl, while at the same time you are concluding that the father has a serious psychiactric diagnosis. That’s priceless. You must be a real hoot at parties, what with this insta-analysis talent you have.

1. You don’t need a car to have a job. When I was her age, I walked or rode my bike to work, or caught a ride from a friend if it was raining.
2. She absolutely IS complaining about doing her chores. Which are not onerous. She also didn’t say she wasn’t getting her homework done unless she stays up late – in fact, she said she goes to sleep at 10pm. Rewatch the video, that part starts at about 2:15.
3. She didn’t claim that she is the only person who works in the garden, and it’s pretty unlikely that she is.
4. Whatever his “clinic” is, good for her for pitching in and helping. But that hardly entitles her to a medal.
5. He actually doesn’t have “a maid” and that was one of the reasons he was so upset; that the girl was so disrespectful to the woman. Evidently he did some work for someone, and she was paying him back by doing some of the housecleaning. And did you not notice that that fact actually weakens the daughter’s argument about how overworked she is?

And her comment “I have no idea how I have a life,” indicates that she does in fact find time for social activities, further weakening her “poor, poor Cinderelly” rant. You also completely disregard the fact that the father had already taken away privileges and had a heart to heart talk with her, and her behavior subsequently escalated.

Really, you ought to read the father’s FB page and be better informed about all this. You’ll feel better.

Laura Curtis on February 11, 2012 at 12:53 PM

TeaTrekkie on February 10, 2012 at 10:08 PM

I get the feeling you are your daughter’s “best friend”. You are a fool if you are. I feel sorry for your family.

If kids don’t hate their parents for the right reason then the parents are doing something wrong.

NotCoach on February 11, 2012 at 1:04 PM

A frightening look inside the mind of a NASCAR dad.

KeninCT on February 11, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Laura Curtis on February 11, 2012 at 12:53 PM

I did. And I appreciate his unwillingness to use media any further in regards to the issue. I still think his initial reaction was over the top and by pointing out some of the details I wasn’t trying to come to conclusion. My point is that she may have some points as well. A healthy conversation would have served the situation much better. And, it sounds as if they have had some of those since.

Someone mentioned earlier that he didn’t need my psycho-analysis to know that the dad was being a drama queen. I think that was well said. I may have over-analyzed, but the end result is that the father over-reacted and that many are making poor assumptions about what may be a perfectly fine young girl acting like a 15 year old.

mtucker5695 on February 11, 2012 at 1:16 PM

There are tons of videos on youtube of girlfriends smashing their bf’s X-boxes and stuff like that. Some are obviously setups with broken gear. The acting on these kinda vids varies and you can’t be sure that the device being smashed is not already a brick…
My guess is that this is a broken piece of crap to begin with… could be wrong… either way… heh.
My daughter posted it to her teenage daughter’s FB a couple days ago. I had to laugh because my g’daughter frequently posts those mushy ‘if you love your mom… repost this’ things to her own page.
At this moment this type of negative anti-parent attitude is the farthest thing from her mind… Hopefully she’ll stay tuned into the reality that her mom is now and always will be her best ally in life.

RalphyBoy on February 11, 2012 at 1:51 PM

He should have donated the laptop to an orphanage. There it would have been put into the hands of kids who would fully appreciate such things. Or donate it to a disabled veterans organization. He put a great deal of time and money into that equipment and just blowing it away for sensationalistic purposes represents a wasteful destruction of intellectual property. Plus he could have used it as an example to his daughter of how he won’t stand by as the things he buys her are being used for such negative and hurtful purposes. So, she shall witness instead how it will become something used for positive and uplifting purposes. But it’s his laptop so really I guess in the end he can do whatever he wants. I just think that in a way he’s sinking down to her adolescent level by breaking his toys because she won’t play with them right.

Heftyjo on February 11, 2012 at 2:15 PM

This guy is a tremendous jackass. How come just confiscating it wasn’t good enough? Or donating it to some worthy outfit? Or maybe just taking a hammer to it?

jeroboam on February 11, 2012 at 3:26 PM

mtucker5695 on February 11, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Why are you disregarding the fact that they had those conversations before, when he punished her, took away the computer, and ultimately grounded her for three months for similar offenses? It’s like you’re determined to insist this guy just went off, out of the blue, and freaked out on his poor innocent little girl.

Laura Curtis on February 11, 2012 at 3:38 PM