Romney at CPAC: My record is “severely conservative”

posted at 4:50 pm on February 10, 2012 by Allahpundit

Not a gamechanger but not a bad speech either. If you like him, this will do nothing to dissuade you; if you don’t, this won’t change your mind; and if you’re undecided, you’re still undecided despite him dropping the word “conservative” into virtually every other sentence. (According to WaPo, a Republican strategist advised him recently to include more “conservative code words” in his rhetoric. The first conservative code word deployed: “Conservative,” of course.) His best moment here, I think, comes at 9:00 when he defends his work at Bain, but the takeaway line emerges at 14:15 when he describes himself — the architect of RomneyCare, remember — as having been … a “severely conservative Republican governor.” The awkwardness of that phrase is Romney’s whole candidacy in a nutshell. The word “severely” is almost always used colloquially in a pejorative or clinical sense (“severely unhappy,” “severely handicapped”), yet he’s using it here in a boastful way, as if to say that he can be as strident and unreasonable as he thinks the crowd needs him to be to give them comfort on his ideological bona fides as nominee. I go back and forth between being annoyed that a guy as intelligent as he is can’t even fake his identification with the right more effectively and feeling sympathy for him that he can’t connect with his audience on a gut level. That’s a tremendous retail disability for a politician and it must cause Romney no little agony, but he limps on towards the nomination regardless. If he ends up winning in spite of it, even with all his other advantages it’ll be an achievement.

Anyway, interesting to see shades of Mitt 2008 here touting his record on social conservatism. That’s proof positive of how worried he is about Santorum, especially as the backlash to the new HHS contraception rule picks up. Gingrich is speaking as I write this in the day’s other potential gamechanger. Stay tuned for that video in an hour or so.

Update: Rush Limbaugh: “I have never heard anybody say, ‘I’m severely conservative. No, I’ve never heard anybody SAY it.”

video platform
video management
video solutions
video player

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

You spurned us and derided us and now are starting to wonder how you wound up at the prom all alone.

Burke on February 10, 2012 at 6:51 PM

going with the village idiot at the prom is not in itself a big accomplishment, is it?

jimver on February 10, 2012 at 6:56 PM

I’m glad you’re doubling down, jimver. Every time you post a gratuitous slur as you just did, your elitist arrogance shines through, and it’s wonderful the way you and hundreds of others like you who are spread across blogs in the country are helping to derail the “inevitable.”

At a certain point–when you’ve lost several primaries more–you’re going to get the message and start paying more lip service to Tea Party, flyover country, “true conservatives,” Palin and talk radio. You’ll realize that calling us “village idiots” is helping drive a wedge between Mitt and the core that isn’t helping him. By that time, so many will have chafed from you insults that it will be too late. Of course, there’s always 2016.

Burke on February 10, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Burke on February 10, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Dang, very well put. And nice too.

cozmo on February 10, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Go Team Santorum!!! 2012 all the way.

multiuseless on February 10, 2012 at 7:28 PM

If Rick Perry or Sarah Palin had used the words “severely conservative” the instant narrative would be about how stooopid they are. But neither of them ever put “severely” and “conservative” together. Mitt Romney did.

Right Mover on February 10, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Who cares? If I wanted a president with speech-delivering bona fides, I’d vote for Obama.

veryapropos on February 10, 2012 at 7:32 PM

tbrickert on February 10, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Yep, they are niggardly in their praise.

Buy Danish on February 10, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Burke on February 10, 2012 at 7:24 PM

you realize that it cuts both ways and the same is valid for Santorum, or whoever your candidate du jour is now…he’ll never get that part of the ‘elitist arrogant’ votes either… if you delude yourself that you have the numbers, go ahead, prove that you are indeed that unwanted ‘prom partner’ …

jimver on February 10, 2012 at 7:33 PM

BWAAAHAAAHAAAHAA…..Ummm…ROMNEYCARE!!!!!

dom89031 on February 10, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Like Rush I’ve never heard anyone say “Severely Conservative” but I HAVE heard Rush call Romney a Conservative, in 2008.

Because, against a field of Huckabee and McCain, Romney positioned himself as the “conservative” in the 2008 primary race, instead of treating the conservative base with disdain — and exposing his severe disingenuousness in the process — in 2012.

Right Mover on February 10, 2012 at 7:37 PM

last night at Mitt campaign HQ

“Severely conservative” , it’s gonna get you over the hump Mitt. No, no, it’s not weird or loopy. It’s reassuring and powerful. No, don’t worry, we’re pro speech writers and campaign operatives here. We got this.

BoxHead1 on February 10, 2012 at 7:39 PM

PS: I do hope you all heard Breitbart’s speech. There was a message there for the if my candidate isn’t the nominee I’m picking up my ball and going home so we can have 4 more years of Bill Ayer’s bff and teach those establishment Republicans a lesson crowd.

Buy Danish on February 10, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Burke on February 10, 2012 at 6:51 PM

jimver on February 10, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Burke on February 10, 2012 at 7:24 PM

I wish the GOP would stop pandering the “flyover country” and make a serious play at regaining new York and California. The south was the democrat strong hold for 100 years after the civil war and only turned red thanks to 1960′s race baiting by the GOP. All the social cons who you see posting here are just big government evangelicals and leftover racists who switched to the GOP when it became more white friendly. The GOP actually apologized for the southern strategy too, but they gave up northwest and northeast forever and they’re a mess of liberalism now because of it.

1984 in real life on February 10, 2012 at 7:40 PM

When will you guys learn? They are all fakes! They will say whatever it takes! They are “severe” conservatives today only to reach across the isle tomorrow. Wake up people. There is only one person in this race with a consistent 30 year record…and you know who that is.

dom89031 on February 10, 2012 at 7:42 PM

BoxHead1 on February 10, 2012 at 7:39 PM

…’severely conservative’ is a phrase definitely coined by a young person, I can see why elder peeps might have a problem with it, but then I say infinitely a better linguistic innovation than ‘refudiate’ :-)

jimver on February 10, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Yes? And I’m severely handsome, severely rich, severly well built, severely in shape, severely well educated , and well….I’m just… SEVERELY!

KOOLAID2 on February 10, 2012 at 7:44 PM

It’s like he she thought he she could fool conservatives into voting for him her just by inserting the word “conservative” in every sentence. To top it off, he she uses a an(fixed for grammar) incorrect adjective of “severely” every time she opens her mouth to show his her cluelessness.

His Her campaign is finished.

Norwegian on February 10, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Worked for Palin.

antisense on February 10, 2012 at 7:44 PM

1984 in real life on February 10, 2012 at 7:40 PM

I am with you on all counts…besides I live in Cali and I feel your pain on more than one level …

jimver on February 10, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Romney: “I am the only candidate … who has never worked a day in Washington.”

Obama: “I am the only candidate … who has never worked a day in his life.”

stukinIL4now on February 10, 2012 at 7:45 PM

dom89031 on February 10, 2012 at 7:42 PM

RON PAUL!

antisense on February 10, 2012 at 7:45 PM

yeah, conservative like a kinder gentler lenin.

all the cuts romney made to the commonwealth? surely you jest or are tripping on the magic mushrooms. mitt entered office with a big rainy day surplus and left it with a skyrocketing deficit (which he addressed by loading up on the fees so he could boast about not raising taxes) mostly due to romneycare . and then the tax base and small businesses fled his precious mandate to live free in other states. weld was more conservative. he actually cut and reformed-was a small government fiscal conservative- more than willard the arrogant chameleon, proud daddy of obamacare, the socialist skewer to disembowel our constitution. obamacare is meant to peel your rights away-and that’s just what its doing now that parts are kicking in.

drunk horny sailors are more fiscally conservative than mittens the first. for such a business genius his romenycare sure is a festering black hole driving the state and individuals into insolvency. he’s either a liar or delusional-perhaps both .typical smarmy politician when we need a straight forward leader with principles. actually willard doesn’t seem like a bad person- he actually led MA according to the wishes of the state of liberals who elected him which, after all, is what someone elected in a democracy is suppose to do- but he’d do himself a big favor and connect with more actual conservatives if he would give up the romneycare ghost. it’s a bad law, it doesn’t work, and its unconstitutional. if he’d come clean i wouldn’t be as leery of him as i am but he stubbornly clings to the thing that most sinks him when he claims to be an anti-obambi conservative. the more he harps about how the states can screw you but not the federal government the more out of touch with reality let alone the republican voter base he seems.not listening to the base is a problem- i don’t trust him. he has given no reason to especially when he tries to portray himself as a conservative in the face of his record.

mittens on February 10, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Romney: “I am the only candidate … who has never worked a day in Washington.”

Obama: “I am the only candidate … who has never worked a day in his life.”

stukinIL4now on February 10, 2012 at 7:45 PM

your being….

jimver on February 10, 2012 at 7:48 PM

your point being…

jimver on February 10, 2012 at 7:49 PM

1984 in real life on February 10, 2012 at 7:40 PM

jimver on February 10, 2012 at 7:44 PM

I’m also a Cali resident and the GOP has definitely abandoned us here. They will bend over backwards to appease the south but won’t lift a finger for good candidates here like Carly Fiorina. That’s why I won’t support their Christian darling Rick earmarking Santorum

1984 in real life on February 10, 2012 at 7:50 PM

KOOLAID2 on February 10, 2012 at 7:44 PM

severely koolaid :-)

jimver on February 10, 2012 at 7:51 PM

1984 in real life on February 10, 2012 at 7:40 PM

jimver on February 10, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Poor little confused liberals. The Democrats went socialist and left you homeless and all on your own. No place to call home and utterly irrelevant… and then there was Mitt. Maybe Mitt could make the GOP into that warm liberal home you miss so much, but those nasty old conservatives are just being so mean to your BFF.

sharrukin on February 10, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Mitt says something ridiculous, and the Mittbots respond with, “but Sarah said this one time …”

Right Mover on February 10, 2012 at 7:57 PM

1984 in real life on February 10, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I know, that was the ‘idiocy’ responsible for the pain that I was talking about…the good news is that California is worth 172 delegate votes in the GOP primary and Santorum will get zilch here…same in NY (92 delegate votes)…

jimver on February 10, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Mitt, finishing up, with passion:

“We know the brilliance that suggested that individuals pursuing their own dreams would make us the most powerful nation on earth, not a government trying to guide our lives.”

How can you not like this guy. That is conservatism.

Paul-Cincy on February 10, 2012 at 8:00 PM

mittens on February 10, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Dude – if anyone’s tripping on magic mushrooms it’s you.

Buy Danish on February 10, 2012 at 8:01 PM

1984 in real life on February 10, 2012 at 7:40 PM

jimver on February 10, 2012 at 7:44 PM

sharrukin on February 10, 2012 at 7:52 PM

So much for the big tent theory huh? I didn’t know being conservative was some kind of exclusive social club sounds pretty elitist to me. Your argument would hold more water if Rick Santorum was an actual conservative. I know a lot of conservatives here actually, but there’s a difference between being conservative and being for big government. Most people I know want the government out of their lives, not telling them how to raise their family or what kind of social behavior is right or wrong. Leave that to the liberals.

1984 in real life on February 10, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Right Mover on February 10, 2012 at 7:57 PM

oh, no, she only served as a comparison for how far a linguistic innovation can go…I was basically saying that Mitt stopped short of saying something as ridiculous as ‘refudiate’ :-)…

jimver on February 10, 2012 at 8:03 PM

sharrukin on February 10, 2012 at 7:52 PM

wrong on all counts, you can keep the mental asylum that you call home all to yourselves, ‘real conservatives’…

jimver on February 10, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Dude – if anyone’s tripping on magic mushrooms it’s you.

Buy Danish on February 10, 2012 at 8:01 PM

I’m on the shrooms. HA goes well with them.

BoxHead1 on February 10, 2012 at 8:08 PM

So much for the big tent theory huh?

It doesn’t include liberals or their destructive ideology.

1984 in real life on February 10, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Sounds nice but you are backing a guy responsible for massive government intrusion into peoples lives. Romneycare, Assault Weapons Ban, more taxes, forcing Catholics to distribute contraceptives, Racial preferences, carbon emission laws, and government bailouts.

sharrukin on February 10, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Ooo Ooo Another big Romney Scandal.

Saying he’s “Severely Conservative” is obviously a gamechanger!

Oh wait….it does’nt mean crap except more proof that Hot Air is a not Romney site more than a beat Obama site.

Gingrich is done and has done his best to destroy Romney along the way with a ton of people here bleating like sheep along with him.

Santorum tried to stay above the fray but is repulsive to Independents for other reasons (not to mention the whole Libertarian wing will stay home)

1st look at Paul? heh.

Zybalto on February 10, 2012 at 8:11 PM

sharrukin on February 10, 2012 at 8:08 PM

like Santorum….

jimver on February 10, 2012 at 8:12 PM

jimver on February 10, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Places like Massachusetts and California are crapholes economically because of the policies of guys like Romney and you want to force that wonderful system of decay on the rest of the country because that way your liberal social ideology can be bankrolled by others.

sharrukin on February 10, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Buy Danish on February 10, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Danish, I love Brietbart and I get what he is saying. I’ll make you a deal. I’ll vote for your guy, if you vote for whoever wins the primary. I didn’t hear Andrew say anything about teaching the establisment a lesson…that is what your hearing from it. He said he did not care who wins…
You have to admit the mud slinging is getting way to thick here and I’ve heard people from both sides say they will never vote for so n so…it’s over the top, but also some I have discovered are trolls just here to stir up trouble and dissent.

(disclosure I’m in MT it will be decided way before June, unless it goes brokered.)

MontanaMmmm on February 10, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Ooo Ooo Another big Romney Scandal.

Saying he’s “Severely Conservative” is obviously a gamechanger!

Zybalto on February 10, 2012 at 8:11 PM

yep, and a severe game changer at that :-)…as you can see from this thread, Romney saying that is inexcusable and the last drop, his linguistic innovations have severely and inexorably hit the ‘real conservatives’s fan :-)…

jimver on February 10, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Freedom is not defined by safety. Freedom is defined by the ability of citizens to live without government interference. Government cannot create a world without risks, nor would we really wish to live in such a fictional place. Only a totalitarian society would even claim absolute safety as a worthy ideal, because it would require total state control over its citizens’ lives. Liberty has meaning only if we still believe in it when terrible things happen and a false government security blanket beckons
-Ron Paul

dom89031 on February 10, 2012 at 8:22 PM

sharrukin on February 10, 2012 at 8:17 PM

I’d take Cali any time of the day or night, moreover I’d put up with their serial increase in income tax, and any other tax for that matter, over some of the non-places full of hypocrite zombies and bigots that is probably your ideal place to live in…

jimver on February 10, 2012 at 8:28 PM

And you are backing the guy who said these things

“One of the things I will talk about, that no president has talked about before, is I think the dangers of contraception in this country. It’s not okay. -Rick Santorum

“[The] right to privacy…doesn’t exist in my opinion in the United States Constitution.” –Rick Santorum

The idea is that the state doesn’t have rights to limit individuals’ wants and passions. I disagree with that. I think we absolutely have rights because there are consequences to letting people live out whatever wants or passions they desire.”-Rick Santorum

1984 in real life on February 10, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Severely stupid = Romney.

WhatNot on February 10, 2012 at 8:35 PM

jimver on February 10, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Good. Stay there and have fun being completely and utterly irrelevant to the GOP. You want liberal policies… well enjoy them with your half double decaffeinated half-caf, with a twist of lemon coffee.

sharrukin on February 10, 2012 at 8:35 PM

jimver on February 10, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Their place to live is full of bigots, history PROVES that. I love Cali, just have to avoid the hippies on Telegraph Ave.

1984 in real life on February 10, 2012 at 8:37 PM

When Romney gets a clue on Romneycare not being conservative….then maybe we can talk about conversion….until then

PuritanD71 on February 10, 2012 at 8:38 PM

sharrukin on February 10, 2012 at 8:35 PM

We don’t want liberal policies, we want the GOP to give a shit about us again instead of pandering to big government racists.

1984 in real life on February 10, 2012 at 8:38 PM

1984 in real life on February 10, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Its a real shocker that you aren’t allowed to sleep with your sister. The state gets all intrusive in peoples bedrooms and they don’t even care about your right to privacy, or your personal sex life. They just arbitrarily make it against the law. Just shocking. /

sharrukin on February 10, 2012 at 8:40 PM

I can’t believe the Mittbots are using the N word!!

SparkPlug on February 10, 2012 at 8:41 PM

like Santorum….

jimver on February 10, 2012 at 8:12 PM

I liked him until I heard his stance on women in the military and his pro-life stance irrespective of rape or incest. From a pragmatic standpoint, that sort of intrusion isn’t gonna work with Moderate Repubs and Indies.

I’m sick to death of the Moderate Repubs are squishy Liberals meme. Apparently millions of us are not actually conservative if we deviate even fractionally from the hard-line. Can’t be true if we’re not in lock-step on every possible issue, and heaven forbid we use the word severely. From a solid speech, the only word parsed for ridicule is severely and the only person all this nonsense benefits is Obama.

Slainte on February 10, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Romney needs to “severely” quit the race after falsely clamming to be “severely conservative”.

ChuckTX on February 10, 2012 at 8:42 PM

1984 in real life on February 10, 2012 at 8:38 PM

You really like to call people racist don’t you?
Not that you are a liberal or anything.

sharrukin on February 10, 2012 at 8:42 PM

I can’t believe the Mittbots are using the N word!!

SparkPlug on February 10, 2012 at 8:41 PM

The mittbots freak out if we use the M (Mormun) word but then they turn around and use the N word.

Ok it was close to the N word.

SparkPlug on February 10, 2012 at 8:44 PM

jimver on February 10, 2012 at 8:28 PM

1984 in real life on February 10, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Alanis Morissette just had an epiphany about what irony really is after reading this.

ebrown2 on February 10, 2012 at 8:44 PM

sharrukin on February 10, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Nice straw man LOL

Seriously though it IS none of their business, you’re just pro big brother.

1984 in real life on February 10, 2012 at 8:44 PM

I can’t believe the Mittbots are using the N word!!

SparkPlug on February 10, 2012 at 8:41 PM

They’re liars and hypocrites, what do you expect?

ebrown2 on February 10, 2012 at 8:46 PM

…they turn around and use the N word.

Ok it was close to the N word.

SparkPlug on February 10, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Danish may have intended to be ironic or sarcastic, but the

N word

she used means stingy or parsimonious and isn’t a reference to a particular race.

Slainte on February 10, 2012 at 8:51 PM

1984 in real life on February 10, 2012 at 8:34 PM

OH NOOOOOO!!!

Santorum will totally lose the homosexual paedophile serial killer vote. We’re doomed.
/s

Do any sane commenters have an opinion on what flavor of troll “1984 in fantasy” is?

WhatNot on February 10, 2012 at 8:51 PM

You really like to call people racist don’t you?
Not that you are a liberal or anything.

sharrukin on February 10, 2012 at 8:42 PM

This is such a typical response I see here. “You can’t disagree with me or YOU’RE A LIBERAL”

Keep alienating people like me. Nominate Santorum and watch him get blown up by the Liberal machine. Maybe then Social Conservatism will die.

What’s sad is I’ll still vote for Santorum if he’s nominated(won’t support him in the primary though) but I have seen so many posters here say they will vote Obama if Romney gets the nod.

1984 in real life on February 10, 2012 at 8:52 PM

dom89031 on February 10, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Talking about Ron Paul?

I’d sooner jam a screwdriver in my eye.

He says some good things, but don’t they all? The thing that stops me from listening more is his lack of ‘give a crap’ for Israel, and the weeeerd idea he has that if we just close our bases around the world, pull all our troops home, everyone will suddenly like us, or at least not want to kill us. We have interests and allies outside our borders, and because we do, we’re gonna have to fight sometimes. That is, at least until the neanderthals of the world wake up and start working together for a better world, and by choice, not by bullet or sanction.

I think he learned his foreign policy at Disney World.

Wolfmoon on February 10, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Danish may have intended to be ironic or sarcastic…

Ok. BuyMittSomeDanishStuff was being ironic or sarcastic. My Bad.

SparkPlug on February 10, 2012 at 8:55 PM

OH NOOOOOO!!!

/s

WhatNot on February 10, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Totally logical statement. Anyone who wants smaller government = Serial killer/Pedo. Cool Story bro, must have had to dig deep for that one/

1984 in real life on February 10, 2012 at 8:55 PM

1984 in real life on February 10, 2012 at 8:52 PM

I never said I’d vote for obama. That’ll never happen. What I have said is that if Romney gets the nom I’ll probably just stay home. There just isn’t enough difference between Romney and obama to make the trip to the polls worthwhile.

Wolfmoon on February 10, 2012 at 8:56 PM

What a frickin idiot this guy is…and his bots as well.

So let me get this straight–true conservatives are bad, but severe conservatives are good?

Phony, lying piles of cr*p.

james23 on February 10, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Keep alienating people like me.

1984 in real life on February 10, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Or what?

California will vote socialist?

The only real threat you can make is that you will move out of your state and bring your liberal idiocy with you.

sharrukin on February 10, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Wolfmoon on February 10, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Then you’re sort of useless in this election and should register as a Dem. America can’t survive another 4 years of Obama, but you’d rather watch it burn than vote for a guy who made some questionable concessions as Governor of a deep blue state.

I never said Romney was perfect, but he’s far, far better than Santorum. Romney seems to be moving farther to the right while Santorum champions his intrusive, big government credentials in our personal lives.

1984 in real life on February 10, 2012 at 9:00 PM

sharrukin on February 10, 2012 at 8:35 PM

extreme individuals such as yourselves are actually irrelevant to the GOP, reason why you trash talk the ‘establishment’, the ‘inside elite’, the RINOS, the moderates, well, pretty much everybody who disagrees with you… I have news for you, this is the GOP, a rather amorphous space that accommodates a plethora of types of conservatism, moderates like me included!!..the fact that in your limited mind the word is divided between extreme lefties and extreme rightists (of which you seem to be one of) tells more about you than about the GOP…Most normal people are somewhere in the middle, but then they get accused of the likes of you of being ‘squishy moderates’ and other c&*&p like that…well, tell you what, I am a GOP member, I will stay in the GOP, I am and will contribute financially to the candidates of my choice, and then vote for them, and there’s not darn thing you can do about it, other than spill your venomous bile on the HA….

jimver on February 10, 2012 at 9:00 PM

The Rombot has been reprogrammed to say “conservative words.”

29Victor on February 10, 2012 at 4:59 PM

hahahahahaha!

james23 on February 10, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Or what?

California will vote socialist?

sharrukin on February 10, 2012 at 8:57 PM

The real threat is every Independent voter (You know, people who don’t post on Hot Air 9 hours of the day) votes for Obama. Or you know, the Catholics, with their socialist tendencies decide they aren’t mad at Obama anymore and abandon the GOP like they did in 2008. Your choice.

1984 in real life on February 10, 2012 at 9:04 PM

1984 in real life on February 10, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Society needs some limits on behavior, and these limits are being actively challenged by some groups. You implied that people should be scared of Santorum because he made a statement that stands up for some limits.

You did not make an “anyone who wants smaller government” statement. You made an any limits on my behavior is scary statism statement.

Buh bye, moron. Your folly was too obvious.

WhatNot on February 10, 2012 at 9:05 PM

MontanaMmmm on February 10, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Of course I’m going to vote for whomever wins the primary! What else could my comment have meant?

What I got out of Breitbart’s fabulous speech was that O is really, really bad news and anyone who has the vanity to think that [fill in the blank] is just Obama lite and not not worth voting for does not understand just how dangerous O is.

Buy Danish on February 10, 2012 at 9:06 PM

sharrukin on February 10, 2012 at 8:57 PM

no need for that, the extreme right idiocy for which you are the best spokesperson has the monopoly in your neck of the wood, hands down winner…

jimver on February 10, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Buh bye, moron. Your folly was too obvious.

WhatNot on February 10, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Limits on my personal behavior are none of your, or the government’s business, as long as they don’t infringe on the rights of anyone else. You’re really showing your true colors.

1984 in real life on February 10, 2012 at 9:10 PM

1984 in real life on February 10, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Another idiotic non sequitur.

Unless you really are a homosexual paedophile serial killer, in which case you are – by definition – infringing on the rights of others.

You’re really being absurd.

WhatNot on February 10, 2012 at 9:15 PM

1984 in real life on February 10, 2012 at 9:10 PM

So you do want incest to be legalized?

sharrukin on February 10, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Burke on February 10, 2012 at 7:24 PM

I don’t buy your declaration.

If you get offended towards a candidate from some random Hot Gas commentator that has nothing to do with the candidate themselves, then it is YOU with the problem. For example, I care that Ron Paul has problems, not his supporters.

You are smart enough to know your argument rings hollow, but you think we are not smart enough to get that fact. In a way you are calling us the village idiots.

scotash on February 10, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Slainte on February 10, 2012 at 8:42 PM

you are smart enough not to let these half-witted bigots who call themselves ‘real conservatives’ define who you are…they think that if they scream louder, act angrier and put their fists in the air that in itself is their meaningful contribution to conservatism…as for the ‘severely conservative’ phrase, I find it somewhat refreshing and parting with the newspeak that is so much part of the political discourse these days, no wonder it’s so unappealing and unpalatable to the ‘purists’ and the self-entitled ‘real conservatives’ :-)…unfortunately, expecting sense of humour, light heartedness and nimbleness (when it comes to matters linguistic) from bigots is an exercise in futility…I am sure they will rationalize somehow why ‘refudiate’ is more legit than ‘severely conservative’ :-)…

jimver on February 10, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Another idiotic non sequitur.

You’re really being absurd.

WhatNot on February 10, 2012 at 9:15 PM

There’s nothing absurd about my statement, you just don’t like it. You’re trying to paint social libertarians as serial killers and closet pedo’s which is an irrational argument. Obviously partaking in those acts does infringe on someone’s rights so It’s the government’s job to protect said individuals. Consensual acts between adults should be private. It’s really not that hard to understand.

1984 in real life on February 10, 2012 at 9:47 PM

“Severely conservative” means you don’t throw money around, you don’t waste, and you don’t take other people’s trust lightly. You don’t engage in conspicuous consumption.

That’s the beginning of conservatism and the antithesis of the progressivism that has put us $16 trillion in debt and obligated for many trillions more for future entitlements that we don’t really know how we’ll pay. The biggest problem ahead of us is our spending, and it will be a much more difficult problem to address than that anybody wants to admit. The idea that Romney is not conservative enough is just provincial nonsense.

Between liberal radicals rushing to drive us into another depression and conservative treating good people with fear and distrust, I don’t think we’re likely to survive our own jealousy and hatred of our fellow man.

flataffect on February 10, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Severely conservative?

Mitt Frickin Romney a Conservative?……my Lilly white Possum Holler beehind he is.

No Sale Mitt!!

PappyD61 on February 10, 2012 at 9:57 PM

veryapropos on February 10, 2012 at 7:32 PM

He isn’t so hot …. his telepropter makes him look better then he is ….

conservative tarheel on February 10, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Christian darling Rick earmarking Santorum

You forgot to add “anti-right-to-work/friend of the unions“. It’ll fit in there somewhere.

He’s a whiney baby boy fraud.

Man. I can’t believe there isn’t a SOUL anyplace else fool enough to throw their hat in this cage match.

tree hugging sister on February 10, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Abobo was severely entertained by this earlier. Severely!

abobo on February 11, 2012 at 12:12 AM

jimver on February 10, 2012 at 9:30 PM

You, my friend, are sensational.

Slainte on February 11, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Focus group tested and rejected:

“Disturbingly conservative.”

“Ridiculously conservative.”

“Sickeningly conservative.”

“Alarmingly conservative.”

“Frighteningly conservative” and, lastly…

“Kick ass, bitchin’ homeboy conservative.”

Thank goodness, “severely conservative” polled better.

trapeze on February 11, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Conservative pundits expect a big fall off in traffic and revenues if Obama isn’t returned to the WH in 2012. Their strategy is to pick a loser and whine about it for 4 years thus they hate Romney and love notRomney. Stoopid.

aloysiusmiller on February 11, 2012 at 1:04 AM

..so, did everyone have a good time here?

The War Planner on February 11, 2012 at 1:36 AM

..so, did everyone have a good time here?

The War Planner on February 11, 2012 at 1:36 AM

I think it was a “drinking game” or something.

KOOLAID2 on February 11, 2012 at 3:00 AM

He’s a whiney baby boy fraud.

…and yet, Rick is STILL far and away better than Newt or Mitt.

tree hugging sister on February 10, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Well, there WAS Sarah, but AFAIK, the majority of Republicans didn’t want her to run… :P

Myron Falwell on February 11, 2012 at 4:13 AM

One time I have heard people use severely as an adverb is to describe unpleasant things. Like I am severely dehydrated, I am severely broke, I am severely underpaid.

You never hear that word used in a positive way. Have you ever heard someone say I am in a severely good mood today? Never.

The fact he chose that word means he views conservatism as a negative.

angryed on February 10, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Ed, it was a severe pleasure to read your post.

NOMOBO on February 11, 2012 at 8:33 AM

I like Severely Conservative. We saw what Compassionate Conservative did for us.

NotEasilyFooled on February 11, 2012 at 8:33 AM

“Severely Conservative ???”

ARE YOU F**KING KIDDING ME ???

He makes conservatism sound like a g*ddammned disease !!

Yeah Slick you’re definitely one of us !

He may as well have said , “Hey I am suffering from terminal Right-Wingitus !”

What a dick !

cableguy615 on February 11, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Bottom line is no matter what words he uses to describe his ideologiocy, his actions as governor indicated he is a liberal at heart.

Doughboy on February 10, 2012 at 4:56 PM

fixed

cableguy615 on February 11, 2012 at 10:30 AM

I was flipping through the channels last night and I saw Anderson Cooper tear Romney a new one on that comment by mentioning all the flip-flops he’s made over the years. Like him or dislike him, he did something right that time.

Ryan Anthony on February 11, 2012 at 1:45 PM

jimver on February 10, 2012 at 7:33 PM

In a potential Election 2012 matchup, the president attracts 50% of the vote and former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney 40% (see tracking history). This is the largest lead the president has enjoyed against Romney in regular polling going back more than a year. It’s also the first time that the president has reached the 50% level of support against Romney.

Rick Santorum now trails the president by four percentage points, 46% to 42%.

So there you go… Romney back 10 points nationwide, Santorum back 4… Santorum leading nationwide.

Oh, did you mean among conservatives?

Riding a wave of momentum from his trio of victories on Tuesday Rick Santorum has opened up a wide lead in PPP’s newest national poll. He’s at 38% to 23% for Mitt Romney, 17% for Newt Gingrich, and 13% for Ron Paul.

Up 15 points over Romney nationwide, and closer to Obama nationwide.

What numbers did I need to “delude myself that I had”?

Any other polls posted on the frontpage here that you need me to read for you?

gekkobear on February 11, 2012 at 7:57 PM