CPAC interview: Hey, who wants to fire Debbie Downer?

posted at 9:15 am on February 10, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Yesterday at CPAC, we had a number of technical issues on Blogger Row, which almost kept me from interviewing the impressive Republican challenger to Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Karen Harrington.  Tina wrote about Harrington in November, and the small-business owner came to CPAC to chat with some of the bloggers and push her campaign forward.  In a ten-minute interview, Harrington discusses the changes from redistricting for the race, her work as a restaurateur and the increasing difficulties of taxation and regulation, and the failure of Wasserman Schultz to properly represent her district.  Harrington has a great sense of humor, but even more importantly, has enough resolve to fight for this seat a second time — and hopes Republicans rally around her campaign:

You can contribute to Harrington’s campaign by going to FireDebbie.com.

Notes: First, the lighting in Blogger Row is obviously not optimal for this kind of interview, but we had just a couple of minutes to put this together.  Tina Korbe performed the camera duties, and she demanded credit for it, and threatened to tell some dark secrets about me if I didn’t mention it. (The fact that I caved to this pressure should be in no way taken as acknowledgment of said dark secrets or their authenticity … )  Finally, that is the First Mate sitting behind us and shown between Harrington and myself, and she says hello to all of you.

Comments

Is the first mate going to give any insight on her secret talk yesterday?

Or does she take “off the record” seriously?

cozmo on February 10, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Oooo…the words ‘fire’ and ‘Debbie Whatshername Sclitz’ should not be used in the same headline…

About 900 ban hammerable thoughts….

BigWyo on February 10, 2012 at 9:22 AM

But can Pooh pooh hair, please still be their spokesperson? PLEASE!

KOOLAID2 on February 10, 2012 at 9:27 AM

You know what would be awesome??

To be a fly on the wall watching Debbie Downer watch this video.

Spittle fountain….

BigWyo on February 10, 2012 at 9:28 AM

I would live to see Debbie Blabbermouth-Schultz out of office…it would be so sweeeeet…

thedevilinside on February 10, 2012 at 9:30 AM

I’m not so sure firing Debbie W-S is such a good idea. She’s been great for the Republican Party! We took a huge loss with Alan Grayson out, who’s next? Sheila jackass Lee?

cartooner on February 10, 2012 at 9:30 AM

cartooner on February 10, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Talk show host Michael Berry would be devastated if Sheila Jackson Lee got run. Her nonsensical soundbites are a daily feature on his radio broadcast.

Doughboy on February 10, 2012 at 9:32 AM

You can contribute to Harrington’s campaign by going to FireDebbie.com.

You can also follow Karen on Twitter, as I do.

Even though, thank God, I no longer live in her district, I will do all I can to help get rid of Nancy Pelosi’s Mini-Me.

Flora Duh on February 10, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Ed, are you using your FlipCam for this?

blatantblue on February 10, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Tina’s dark secrets:

Ed’s going bald?

Ed’s a closet capitalist?

Ed placed a bet against his Steelers?

Ed’s really Rush Limbaugh in disguise?

Rovin on February 10, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I could have sworn I saw Debbie Watch’ermouthnevershuts squatting near the first mate… Oh my…

Rugged Individual on February 10, 2012 at 9:39 AM

What’s making FL very interesting this year is the effect of the mortgage crisis, combined with an R secretary of state.

The mortgage crisis hit FL as hard as it did because FL has a lot of secondary residences. If Norma New York went underwater on both her Palm Beach condo and the Manhattan co-op around the corner from where she works, the bank gets the jingle mail on the Palm Beach condo while she concentrates on keeping the Manhattan home.

If this happened back in 2009,and Norma New York has been absentee voting in Manhattan while showing up in person in Florida (or vice versa), the Secretary of State’s office in FL has likely found a way to flag Norma and make sure she can’t vote in Florida.

Sekhmet on February 10, 2012 at 9:42 AM

“Chicken wings” y’all. You know what that means!!

SouthernGent on February 10, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Debbie’s almost everything that’s wrong with politics. There’s her and the Democrats and Republicans.

DHChron on February 10, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Hey Flora Duh…..congrats for getting out of her district.

Karen Harrington is a nice woman and I admire her, however, she ran a very poor race IMO. Could have been money — I don’t really know.

There are 3 people running to unseat DWS. Sorry I can’t remember the 3rd candidate but Joe Kaufman is running and so far impressed.

He’s sent out numerous emails detailing positions and events and requests for donations.

I’ve seen nothing from Harrington. This district covers a lot of diverse areas but the population center is in No. Miami Beach and
Adventura.

Ed I’d like to hear whatever interviews you can manage. In order to get DWS out of this district, we are going to need NATIONAL MEDIA COVERAGE….hint hint hint

CoffeeLover on February 10, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Big Wyo
You said it, it could end Hot Gas as we know it!
Debbie wasaman schultz is one ugly mo—— f——- i’ve said enough !

angrymike on February 10, 2012 at 10:00 AM

I understand everyone’s desire to rid themselves of Debbie WashYerHair Sheesh, and I certainly would work toward having her lose her Rep spot if I lived in her district. Well and good.

But how does unseating DWS in the House affect her position as chair of the DNC? This is by far her most visible role and is the one that annoys the vast majority of us.

So the question becomes: How do we unseat DWS as chair of the DNC? What will it take to do this?

MisterElephant on February 10, 2012 at 10:10 AM

I do not want Debbie downer to be fired. Rather, I would hope she continues through the year spouting irrational carp, gradually and progressively becoming more shrill. Eventually, through her comments, the USA begins to question her sanity in a public way.

jake49 on February 10, 2012 at 10:21 AM

And a big hello back to the First Mate!

rbj on February 10, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Send Debbie Whatshername Shitz back to Queens.

Western_Civ on February 10, 2012 at 10:50 AM

I do hope Ms. Harrington wins.

But we’ll sure miss the unintended comedy of DWS.

Bitter Clinger on February 10, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Is it unusual for a party chair to be a sitting member of Congress? Party chair seems to be a very intense job and, as Karen pointed out, not one to leave time for the actual business of governance.

theFantom on February 10, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Noooooooooooo!!

If there was ever a living, breathing example of pure, unadulterated, koolaid drinking, libtard-ism….it’s DWS.

She’s probably the best recruiting tool the Repubs have!!

I’ll miss her unwashed face….the way the camera lights bounced off her greasy, unkempt hair, her superior snark and limited vocabulary.

This has shaken me to the core.

Tim_CA on February 10, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Oooo…the words ‘fire’ and ‘Debbie Whatshername Schlitz’ should not be used in the same headline…

About 900 ban hammerable thoughts….

BigWyo on February 10, 2012 at 9:22 AM

You mean like:
“Why don’t women drink beer on the beach?”
(chuckle)

The COUNTRY would be better off sans Debbie Downer. Why doesn’t she just go back to New Yawk to represent her constituents?
Inquiring minds want to know.
Dump Dumb Debbie!

As a Michigander, let’s dump another Debbie: “Sen. Debbie SpendItNow” too.
(GO, Pete Hoekstra!)

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on February 10, 2012 at 11:18 AM

She has no trouble having two jobs because as a member of congress she does not have to read or write bills and pelosi tells her which way to vote and obama tells her what to say as the spokesperson ( I use the word person because i do not want to offend women). She could be replaced with a teleprompter with big butt.

dunce on February 10, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Have mixed feelings about this, as Debbie Wasserman-Shultz has provided untold hours of comic relief, lightening an otherwise grim political landscape. I mean, her ravings aside, who cannot but be riveted by the sight of the acres of early 1980′s style snaggle-frizz sprouting from her skull? Or the Tourette-style jerks of her head, sending said snaggle-frizz into terminal bounce? Besides, if she’s defeated, the Democrats might put someone normal into the DNC Chairmanship … I know, I know, unlikely — Howard Dean and all that, but still, a non-freak would be bad news for Republicans.

I’ll have to think about this.

Scriptor on February 10, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Scriptor on February 10, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Well said.

She’s my favorite skankey, semi-literate, lib-tard idealogue….any time I see an interview or article – all else must stop.

So torn.

Tim_CA on February 10, 2012 at 11:56 AM

How do we unseat DWS as chair of the DNC? What will it take to do this?

MisterElephant on February 10, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Don’t you think a private organization should be able to choose who they wish for the positions in that organization? Unless you’re a member, who cares? Why would anyone be annoyed?

Dante on February 10, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Dante on February 10, 2012 at 12:00 PM

*eyeroll*

As chair of the DNC, DWS has a highly visible role on the American political scene. Maybe her nasally screeching is music to your ears, but many of us who follow politics and who are confronted by her near-daily rantings find her exceedingly annoying.

DUH! Can you libs ever be anything other than obtuse?

BTW, your moniker is an insult to a great poet.

MisterElephant on February 10, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Ever notice that when Reps attack Democratic women, it’s always about their looks. Not political stances or views, but looks. Yet they get mad when we attack Palin’s vapid nature. If you are attacking looks, we’ve already won because you have no real argument.

inthemiddle on February 10, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Don’t really care who knocks off DWS (dumb, white, and STUPID), the DNC’s lead attack b1tch!!! It’s truly unfortunate that this whackjob gets so much press, even from the Right (although it serves as a reminder to those of us who still think for ourselves just how much of a whackjob this b1tch really is!!). Somebody, anybody, get rid of this plague!?!

Colatteral Damage on February 10, 2012 at 3:13 PM

CPAC interview: Hey, who wants to fire Debbie Downer?
headline: Ed Morrissey

We can’t fire her.

She gives us the most enjoyable “target practice” on every thread about her. It’s been GREAT !
Do we really want to live without that?

listens2glenn on February 10, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Hello “First Mate”!

Best of luck to Karen Harrington. I’m sorry that I cannot assist her efforts.

DannoJyd on February 10, 2012 at 8:13 PM

inthemiddle on February 10, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Well, generally, that is because we all know she is a liar, and an idiot, and as a liberal Dem, pretty much anti-American, so attacking those points would be nothing short of redundant.

Oh, by the way, thanks for outing yourself as one whose only connection with any ‘middle’ occurs when you have stomach troubles.

If you think Sarah Palin is vapid, why don’t you join me in calling for a debate between her and Debbie Schultz?

Wanna guess the outcome of that confrontation?

Siddhartha Vicious on February 10, 2012 at 8:20 PM

that’s the latest map I’ve seen. I’m still in 20 but DWS and Karen are in 23. Dems immediately filed lawsuit, the map was passed on the 9th. The map is different than a few weeks ago, and to me it looks worse. Broward County is terrible with hooks and wrap-arounds. It also looks like they accounted for demo shift. I see D-23 basically encompasses all the rich areas, though it does drop off the senior communities that 20 had and continues to. DWS always pandered to seniors at all times on tv, now she doesn’t have to as much.

So bottom line, map is bad. DWS new district loses ALOT of seniors. I love the line of attack of DWS’s dual jobs, that always bothered me.

John Kettlewell on February 11, 2012 at 4:03 AM