Video: The obligatory “Amazing Spider-Man” trailer

posted at 7:58 pm on February 9, 2012 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate, this is really the ultimate modern superhero flick, isn’t it? Initially it was going to be the fourth of the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man films, but when that was scrapped, they turned around and decided to just reboot the series. Creatively exhausted and desperate for easy blockbuster box office, Hollywood’s now so dependent on superhero movies that it’s taken to recycling ones that are less than 10 years old. I wonder when the inevitable “Dark Knight” remake will come out. Maybe Matt Damon as Batman this time and Ryan Gosling as the Joker? Or vice versa? Does it matter? You’ll see it. You’ll pay any ticket price they ask.

In fairness, America might be primed for a story about a super-powerful geek who takes the law into his own hands in order to fight the bad guys. Peter Parker = Barack Obama?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’d rather watch any episode of any season of Justified.

Mike Honcho on February 9, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Spidy!

Bmore on February 9, 2012 at 8:02 PM

He was teh awesome in The Social Network

John the Libertarian on February 9, 2012 at 8:02 PM

I’d rather watch any episode of any season of Justified.

Mike Honcho on February 9, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Yay Team Boyd!

cynccook on February 9, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Well, I suppose looking forward to Martin Sheen as Uncle Ben getting blown away could be something…

catmman on February 9, 2012 at 8:04 PM

I prefer Spidey Pig…

annoyinglittletwerp on February 9, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Dark Knight remake? blasphemous….dark knight is one of the best action/comic book type movies ever made..it can not be remade..it should still be the #1 grossing movie of all time but the terrible, over hyped, global warming hippie movie of avatar took it’s place

also i think the amazing spider man looks good from that trailer

sadsushi on February 9, 2012 at 8:05 PM

American comics and the superhero genre. Why is it one in the same? Is the challenge of telling a story without a superhero too much of a task for our writers?

ZGMF_Freedom on February 9, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Look for the World War Z trailer at some point during one of these summer blockbusters.

catmman on February 9, 2012 at 8:05 PM

I hate superhero movies.

terryannonline on February 9, 2012 at 8:08 PM

There’s crap all over the screen. It looks very Star Wars-y

The prequel kind, not the good kind.

Random on February 9, 2012 at 8:09 PM

You’ll pay any ticket price they ask.

Nope not me.

terryannonline on February 9, 2012 at 8:10 PM

I hate superhero movies.
terryannonline on February 9, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Well then don’t watch them, doll.

Random on February 9, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Hmmmm … that actually looks pretty good … But without J.K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson???

Tony737 on February 9, 2012 at 8:12 PM

You’ll pay any ticket price they ask.

Nope. Last movie I saw in the theater was Inception…before that, it was Dark Knight. I see very few movies in the theater anymore.

MadisonConservative on February 9, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Random on February 9, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Make one pine for the days of simple things.

Think of the horror evoked from a shower and shadows.

catmman on February 9, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Well then don’t watch them, doll.

Random on February 9, 2012 at 8:11 PM

I don’t.

terryannonline on February 9, 2012 at 8:14 PM

MadisonConservative on February 9, 2012 at 8:12 PM

then the next movie you should see is act of valor on feb 24th..it looks outstanding

sadsushi on February 9, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Looks better that the 10 year old one.

With great revenue comes lots of sequels.

pedestrian on February 9, 2012 at 8:15 PM

MadisonConservative on February 9, 2012 at 8:12 PM

They’re incredibly loud, expensive and inconvenient. We usually stream movies from Netflix. Almost every single movie that I wanted to see when it came out has sucked and I was glad I didn’t bother.

cynccook on February 9, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Obama’s favorite superhero is *corps*man.

profitsbeard on February 9, 2012 at 8:16 PM

This woman from the local grocery store whom I was seeing insisted I had to see Inception. I came to the conclusion it was a very intricate and intriguing movie, for someone with a 105 IQ.

Random on February 9, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Reckon Hacksaw Jim Duggan will play Bone Saw McGraw. RIP Randy Savage. Oh yeah, you are missed!

BHO Jonestown on February 9, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Tony737 on February 9, 2012 at 8:12 PM

I wanna movie were J.K. gets to sing.
*Dude’s a musical theatre guy*

annoyinglittletwerp on February 9, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Tony737 on February 9, 2012 at 8:12 PM

I don’t think JJJ is in it at all. Maybe Sony will cave to fan pressure and keep J.K. Simmons when he is reintroduced. EON kept Judi Dench around as M in the Bond reboot, so it’s not unprecedented.

As for why Sony is rebooting this, I think they were allowed no more than a 5 year window between films before the rights reverted back to Marvel, so they had to rush this into production when a script couldn’t be agreed upon for Spidey 4.

It does look promising though. I like the more light-hearted Peter Parker, it’s being shot natively in 3D, Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy looks like a huge upgrade over the dreadful Kirsten Dunst as MJ, and the director is promising more real-life stunts instead of an overreliance on CGI. And sorry to break it to you Allah, but WB has already announced the Batman franchise will be rebooted once Nolan’s trilogy is complete.

Doughboy on February 9, 2012 at 8:20 PM

There’s no writers left in Hollywood. It’s only once in a blue moon that a good flick comes out, no matter which genre you prefer. The worst is rehashing of previous flicks for no good reason other than, as said, to make a quick buck.

JetBoy on February 9, 2012 at 8:21 PM

that van took 18 hours to finish crashing…what a ripoff

DHChron on February 9, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Keeping an eye out still for Ozombie

William Amos on February 9, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Looks better that the 10 year old one.

With great revenue comes lots of sequels.

pedestrian on February 9, 2012 at 8:15 PM

I’m mystified why they make revenue in the first place. Boring.

terryannonline on February 9, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Peter Parker = Barack Obama

pfffft……not in any universe.

Tim_CA on February 9, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Andrew Garfield > Tobey Maguire. So I might be willing to see it.

Yossarian on February 9, 2012 at 8:25 PM

best Dicaprio movie – Blood Diamond

“in America it’s bling bling…in Africa, it’s bling Bang!”

DHChron on February 9, 2012 at 8:25 PM

ZGMF_Freedom on February 9, 2012 at 8:05 PM

It would seem so. It’s almost like they are trying to create a world in which they can escape into permanently. With Obama as president, who can blame them. The only filmmaker who is writing intelligent and thought provoking stories these days, Alex Kendrick. Of course he has God to inspire him.

Tommy_G on February 9, 2012 at 8:29 PM

As a 26 year old conservative I come to this blog and read comments about movies and it astounds me how some of my older brethren have no sense of fun. The comments and remarks in the Avengers trailer made me shake my head multiple times. Sometimes I get the “those damned moving pictures” vibe from some of the posters and commenters here.

Also to those who think another Spider-Man movie in unoriginal, there is a reason the comic book has been going strong for 50 years so 4 movies in 50 years of the characters existence isn’t that bad, right? Hell, I get tired of hearing Reagan always getting mentioned but I don’t make a stink about it. :p

Sammo21 on February 9, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Heh. Perfect.

nukemhill on February 9, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Super heroes: Liberals in spandex. Destroy everything and everyone’s lives and proclaim to be working for the greater good.

“When nothing else matters but good intentions, liberals will be there…”

NotCoach on February 9, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Looks better that the 10 year old one.

pedestrian on February 9, 2012 at 8:15 PM

I have to disagree. It looks dull. I think I prefer the ones with Toby McGuire as Spiderman.

All this is based on just the trailer. Maybe the entire movie will turn out to be good, but I’m not excited based on that trailer.

TigerPaw on February 9, 2012 at 8:35 PM

I did not see the last SM in the theaters. It looked too lame. I was right.

I’m definitely going to see Avengers. That has huge hit written all over it. And I’m looking forward to the prequel to Alien.

I’ll need to be convinced about this reboot of Spidy. Unless someone can tell me it’s really worth spending $13 for a ticket, I’ll wait for Netflix.

nukemhill on February 9, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Sammo21 on February 9, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Meh. Read comic books growing up, but find super heroes boring and dated anymore. Also, see my above post. Never trust anyone who imagines it is their job to save you at all costs without the their consent.

NotCoach on February 9, 2012 at 8:36 PM

NotCoach on February 9, 2012 at 8:36 PM

their=your

NotCoach on February 9, 2012 at 8:37 PM

So, The Lizard, huh?

Count to 10 on February 9, 2012 at 8:37 PM

bomb.

just awful.

reliapundit on February 9, 2012 at 8:38 PM

MadisonConservative on February 9, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Last one I saw was Cloverfield. Before that? Yikes, I can’t remember it’s been so long.

Dack Thrombosis on February 9, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Cloverfield was ‘ight

DHChron on February 9, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Anyone seen that Chronicle flick? Seems a little different for a movie with super powered geeks. Reviews?

NotCoach on February 9, 2012 at 8:45 PM

I’m mystified why they make revenue in the first place. Boring.

terryannonline on February 9, 2012 at 8:23 PM

I’m mystified why someone who hates superhero movies and finds them boring (and repeatedly reminds us) is commenting multiple times in a thread that is obviously about superhero movies.

Dante on February 9, 2012 at 8:49 PM

America has about 4 movies that they keep remaking:

1. Crappy childish pixar movie with hideous character design because they are too lazy to make accurate models and use the “uncanny valley” as an excuse. Also has unfunny jokes that come from focus groups. Nothing fresh, nothing shocking, nothing original.

2. Pathetic romantic comedy, with some lame hijinks marketed to little kids and old squares. The main guys friend is a stoner! The main girl’s friend is a ball busting lesbian! Teehee!

3. Formulaic action/shooter/spy/agent/supercop movie, where dull toolish protagonist subverts the organization that created him/her and gets payback for mistreatment, usually involving having their memories erased. Throw in hostages, chase scenes, other cheap gimmicks as needed.

4. Superhero drivel, some fool finds themselves with a spandex bodysuit and wanders into the middle of New York City’s biggest criminal conspiracy. Defeat some lackeys, face off with the big boss in a dramatic place, the end.

And Americans lap it up, again and again. Just embarrassing.

Daikokuco on February 9, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Daikokuco on February 9, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Do you have any non-emo friends?

NotCoach on February 9, 2012 at 8:55 PM

I liked Andrew Garfield in The Social Network but I’m gonna half to pass.

The Ugly American on February 9, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Random on February 9, 2012 at 8:16 PM

You’re seeing a grocery store?

Kinky.

trigon on February 9, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Last thought, the same people who moan at Avengers, Spider-Man, and others will jump up and act like Expendable or Act of Valor is some sort of shining jewel of cinema and story telling. This annoys me almost as much as conservatives who suddenly like or support any actor or athlete who states they might lean GOP.

Sammo21 on February 9, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Needs more giant robots. Giant robots will solve any narrative difficulties.

ZGMF_Freedom on February 9, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Cloverfield was ‘ight

DHChron on February 9, 2012 at 8:43 PM

I liked it. Was hoping for a sequel but nothing is in the works yet.

Dack Thrombosis on February 9, 2012 at 9:04 PM

NotCoach on February 9, 2012 at 8:45 PM

I read something that said it’s one of those “found footage” type movies, so the main characters are basically filming themselves as the story unfolds.

Dack Thrombosis on February 9, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Nothing says you’re more out of touch than referring to someone as a “square”.

How old are you, 90?

Dack Thrombosis on February 9, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Nothing says you’re more out of touch than referring to someone as a “square”.

How old are you, 90?

Dack Thrombosis on February 9, 2012 at 9:07 PM

That’s why I used the phrase. Only 90 year olds are tittillated by the weaksauce jokes and innuendo in romantic comedies.

Daikokuco on February 9, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Pass. I won’t be spoon fed more crap from Hollywood. I pass.

Fish on February 9, 2012 at 9:12 PM

NotCoach on February 9, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Thinking he has no friends at all and is very bitter.

Bmore on February 9, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Hell, they rebooted the Hulk after like 5 years…

Jim Treacher on February 9, 2012 at 9:24 PM

When I told my boss that “profit = (revenue – cost) * no. of units” he had the same thing to say… ‘brilliant.. how did you come up with that’.

When hollywood stops making movies where a moronic hero solves a complex problem in one step by writing pi = 3.14, the world will be a better place.

sram on February 9, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Super-hero movies bore me to tears.

It’s much more interesting to see a real man fight for justice, without all the tights,,,

Watching Eastwood and Bronson beats Spiderman any day.

cane_loader on February 9, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Hey, just curious, I borrowed “40-Year-Old Virgin” from the library a couple weeks back because I realized I had never seen it & there was nothing better on the shelf.

Now it’s overdue and I need to bring it back. Did any of you see it and is it worth watching?

cane_loader on February 9, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Oops, forgot part of my comment: “I’ve been unexpectedly busy and haven’t got around to watching it yet.”

cane_loader on February 9, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I love SImmons, but for me, some roles are forever and permanent. Nimoy will always be Spock, Broderick will always be Ferris, and despite Jameson and the Yellow M&M, Simmons will always be Schillinger…

PointnClick on February 9, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Better than the Toby M. and Kirsten D. films? You have GOT to be kidding me. These actors have no personality, and the scenes look so set-like. The uniforms of the cops look incredibly phony. This looks like absolute crap.

SuperBunny on February 9, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Feels too soon for a reboot, but I am intrigued by The Lizard and Gwen Stacy…

DavidW on February 9, 2012 at 9:52 PM

cane_loader on February 9, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Very funny movie, although I hope you have the theatrical cut. The unrated version is bloated and too long.

Doughboy on February 9, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Doughboy on February 9, 2012 at 10:03 PM

thanks.. actually, the library version is the unrated one. Oh well, if it gets boring, I’ll automatically fall asleep in my chair. Problem solved ;-)

cane_loader on February 9, 2012 at 10:07 PM

This doesn’t look to follow the classic Spiderman story at all. It looks like a total rewrite of the character (same for the Lizard/Dr. Conner). It just doesn’t look like Spidy to me. The Toby McGuire ones were pretty flawed, but at least they seemed to follow the basic feel of Spiderman. This looks more…gothic.

Pattosensei on February 9, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Daikokuco on February 9, 2012 at 8:50 PM

American, European. Whatever. You’ve described pretty much all movies made since celliod came into being.

Good vs Evil. Good Wins in the end.

Good vs Evil. Evil Wins in the end.

Hell, they rebooted the Hulk after like 5 years…

Jim Treacher on February 9, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I saw (thankfully on cable) the first Hulk.

Trust me, they NEEDED to reboot that anchor.

Now, if they wanna impress me…redo the Hulk (especially in new Avengers movie) as Mr. FixIt.

That would earn a trip to a IMAX screening…especially if they got decent story writers, preferably someone that’s read the comics somewhat.

BlaxPac on February 9, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Random on February 9, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Must have been mind-blowing for you, then, down in those double digits.

MadisonConservative on February 9, 2012 at 10:14 PM

I’m sick of this no mask superhero crap. Spider Man maintains a secret identity, and that’s been a major component of the story, since the 60s. Furthermore, when they re-write this stuff, it just always goes bad. If the original wasn’t popular, then they shouldn’t've been making movies off it, in the first place. Spider Man responsible for the Lizard? What kind of horse sh*t is that?! And don’t tell me they’re going to have the Lizard kill Gwen Stacey. These movie people will never learn their lesson, and that’s why Hollywood deserves to continue to losing money on every movie they make. I hope everybody downloads this sweaty turd and shows it for free.

Virus-X on February 9, 2012 at 10:14 PM

This looks more…gothic.

Pattosensei on February 9, 2012 at 10:09 PM

They’ve probably seen the styling of Christopher Nolan/Tim Burton versions of the franchise and want to go for the more film noir styling.

The success of Batman Begins/Batman (Burton) worked because that version was supposed to be dark and moody, and not that crap we were subjected to in between those two directors.

I will admit, I did like the prior Spiderman movies. Yes it did get goofy after the second one, but not overly so, IMHO.

Or, at least not enough to garner aristocratic comic geek-scorn to be heaped upon it…or as I like to use it: The Spielberg ruler…Was it as bad and pandering as Episode #1 and by how much? LOL

BlaxPac on February 9, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Honestly, looks boring to me. How many times can we watch the same movie.

JellyToast on February 9, 2012 at 10:28 PM

I’m still waiting for Bacon Man and his sidekick Pancake Girl.

starboardhelm on February 9, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Uh, yeah, it matters. Damon is an complete idiot, he should be the villain. And, Gosling is easy on the eyes, can brood with the best of them and should be Batman. So, yes. Yes, it matters.

Fallon on February 9, 2012 at 10:31 PM

This looks a thousand times better than the Rami version, and I generally love his movies. All they had to do was show a real web shooter and I was sold.

The Rami series, with his ability to spin his own webs completely removed one of the key parts of the character. I’m not much of a comic reader but that to me was the one part of Spiderman that you just couldn’t change and Rami had to go ahead and do it anyway.

What’s the point of having Peter Parker being a super genius geek if absolutely nothing he does involves any real use of his brain, just his new found brawn.

No matter what else they do in this reboot they got that part right and as long as they can avoid having a story centered around a large fusion reactor conveniently located in a downtown loft, I’m on board.

Bic667 on February 9, 2012 at 10:39 PM

I think that looks pretty good…..

but I’m a sucka for superhero movies. If we can’t have any politicians to stand up for what’s right, its probably a good escape to see someone actually doing it in a movie.

ted c on February 9, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Saw it. It’s less a “superhero” movie and more a straight-up science fiction flick. Good movie, but pretty dark. The story and characters are strong enough that they really didn’t need the “found footage” conceit to be fresh and interesting (unlike Blair Witch and Cloverfield, which really had nothing going for them except that gimmick). Rent it when it comes out on DVD; one side effect of the “found footage” look is that this movie will lose literally nothing on a TV screen.

Fabozz on February 9, 2012 at 10:50 PM

What the hell – they can remake Spiderman, and I’ll “pay any ticket price they ask”… if they can top the wet t-shirt scene with Kirsten Dunst.

That scene alone aged a generation of boys into stand up men.

Evrviglnt on February 9, 2012 at 11:19 PM

They’ve screwed the pooch with the reboot of Spiderman. I loved the original, the second, and even the third. For me, no Toby, Kirsten and Sam (Raimi), no me in the theatre paying good money. They’ve ruined it. Screw ‘em.

Conservchik on February 9, 2012 at 11:41 PM

I love superhero movies, but not 3D, the headache you have to pay extra for.

And I’m not won over by this trailer.

The good news on the Spider-Man reboot is: Kirsten Dunst replaced. The bad news is: no Tobey Maguire, no Rosemary Harris as Aunt May, no J.K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson, and no lots of other stuff I loved from the Sam Raimi movies.

Maybe the movie’ll be better than the trailers.

David Blue on February 9, 2012 at 11:59 PM

I am I the only one getting a little tired of a guy with a Massachusetts accent playing NYPD and NYFD characters? Really? No one else available, huh?

alexwest on February 10, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Every time Obama speaks, my Spidey Sense tingles.

jediwebdude on February 10, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Every time Obama speaks, my Spidey Sense Chris Matthews’ leg tingles.
jediwebdude on February 10, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Maybe Chrissy has Spidey Sense!

KS Rex on February 10, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Daikokuco on February 9, 2012 at 8:50 PM

I see.

How about if they change it up a bit. Say, for example, make one of the spies from your #3 a ball busting lesbian (your #2)?

Or, have some hostages (#3) rescued by the stoner slacker side kick friend from (#2)?

You could take any one of those mash ups and turn it into a crappy childish pixar movie with hideous character design (your #1).

TigerPaw on February 10, 2012 at 12:36 AM

I’m still waiting for Bacon Man and his sidekick Pancake Girl.

starboardhelm on February 9, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Who would the villan be, Burnt Toast Man? Fried Egg Man? (I’m trying to stick to your breakfast them).

TigerPaw on February 10, 2012 at 12:39 AM

That should have been “villain” and “theme.”

TigerPaw on February 10, 2012 at 12:40 AM

If the plot, characters and dialogue of your feature film cant top what was done in TV series, I don’t know why they bother. It is like they think people will pay just to see Hollywood special effects and budgets. Oh wait…..

I don’t think anyone is ever going to top Neil Patrick Harris as Spider Man

Resolute on February 10, 2012 at 12:46 AM

ZGMF_Freedom on February 9, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Why so serious, Son??

Sherman1864 on February 10, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Uh, ZGwhatever, did you happen to know that film adaptation with CGs is what saved Marvel and DC? American comics were headed for oblivion ….

Sherman1864 on February 10, 2012 at 2:42 AM

I love superhero movies, but not 3D, the headache you have to pay extra for.

And I’m not won over by this trailer.

Maybe the movie’ll be better than the trailers.

David Blue on February 9, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Except the exclusion of JK Simmons, I think replacing all those people is amazing. Spider-Man 1 and 2 are good movies but they are not good Spider-Man movies. That and Toby Maguire is a terrible Spider-Man and Peter Parker. Hardly ever funny and that’s one of Spider-Man’s main traits.

Sammo21 on February 10, 2012 at 3:39 AM

You’ll see it. You’ll pay any ticket price they ask.

Never. I am done with this stuff. I liked the old series and I will not support a reboot. I hate it when they do that. Besides, with the exception of The Dark Knight Trilogy (the Batman reboot) they all have sucked (just watch the Superman reboot to confirm this).

Theophile on February 10, 2012 at 3:49 AM

And just as they begin wrapping up The Dark Knight Rises, they’ll get started on this.

And hey, if you have some time on your hands, you might try taking a peek at this list of 715 “Upcoming prequels, sequels, remakes, reboots and spin-offs”.

Some highlights from Page 1:

Lethal Weapon 5
A Good Day to Die Hard
Top Gun 2
Police Academy 8
The Birds
Poltergeist

Left Coast Right Mind on February 10, 2012 at 4:45 AM

n. It looks very Star Wars-y

The prequel kind, not the good kind.

Random on February 9, 2012 at 8:09 PM

It’s been a long time since Star Wars and good could legitimately be linked in the sane sentence. These days Star Wars is better used for parodies, such as this parody of the 911 conspiracy “documentary” Loose Change, Star Wars: Inside Job.

Gladtobehere on February 10, 2012 at 4:46 AM

Sorry, I meant same sentence, not sane sentence.

Gladtobehere on February 10, 2012 at 4:51 AM

No Bruce Campbell, no watchy.

Left Coast Right Mind on February 10, 2012 at 4:57 AM

I don’t know, Allahpundit, maybe it’s just me but there seems to be a serious disconnect going on here when we have a President of The United States ramming through legislation forcing religious institutions to accede to his will over and against the Constitution and discussions about a movie trailer about a comic book character.

I’d say the frog is pretty well boiled.

Cleombrotus on February 10, 2012 at 5:22 AM

Obama’s favorite superhero is *corps*man.

profitsbeard on February 9, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Still pissed about that…MooCow was FMF.

MooCowBang on February 10, 2012 at 5:40 AM