George Lucas: Greedo shot first at Han in the original “Star Wars”

posted at 10:06 pm on February 9, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Ace, the guy just can. not. stop. He tried to ruin the original trilogy by making terrible prequels, but that didn’t work. Then he tried to ruin them with brutally cheesy re-edits, and that didn’t work. So now he’s going to start telling you that the things you loved about the original movies were never actually there in the first place. Mark my words: One of these days, he’s going to say that we’ve all misunderstood and that Darth Vader is actually Luke’s stepfather. It’s coming. It’ll be the coup de grace.

I take back what I said about the new Spider-Man movie. There actually is something worse than remaking a 10-year-old blockbuster.

THR: People can get fanatical about the movies — how does that make you feel? The puppet vs. CGI Yoda ruckus, and the who-shot-first, Han Solo or Greedo furor come to mind.

Lucas: Well, it’s not a religious event. I hate to tell people that. It’s a movie, just a movie. The controversy over who shot first, Greedo or Han Solo, in Episode IV, what I did was try to clean up the confusion, but obviously it upset people because they wanted Solo [who seemed to be the one who shot first in the original] to be a cold-blooded killer, but he actually isn’t. It had been done in all close-ups and it was confusing about who did what to whom. I put a little wider shot in there that made it clear that Greedo is the one who shot first, but everyone wanted to think that Han shot first, because they wanted to think that he actually just gunned him down.

It’s the same thing with Yoda. We tried to do Yoda in CGI in Episode I, but we just couldn’t get it done in time. We couldn’t get the technology to work, so we had to use the puppet, but the puppet really wasn’t as good as the CGI. So when we did the reissue, we had to put the CGI back in, which was what it was meant to be.

This is the problem in a nutshell: He’s the only one who thinks the puppet wasn’t as good as the CGI. He also probably thinks the CGI spacecraft in the prequels were better than the models they used in the original trilogy. Not so. As good as CGI is now, it often still looks artificial in a way that the models and costumes didn’t. (See the brilliant Red Letter Media critiques of the prequels for much, much, much more on Lucas’s ruinous addiction to computer-generated imagery.) I’m sincerely amazed sometimes at how little he seems to understand why his movies appeal to people. Even if he did intend to edit the original Han/Greedo scene so that Greedo shot first, you’d think he’d have the good sense to accept the public’s misunderstanding of a happy accident and play it off as something he intended. Of course Han should shoot first: He’s a roguish space cowboy in a seedy saloon in the space equivalent of the wild west. He’s got a gun pointed at him and some shady green varmint telling him he’s about to die. Pull the trigger. The difference between Lucas and Spielberg is how Lucas re-edited the Greedo scene and how Spielberg didn’t re-edit the scene of Indiana Jones shooting the swordsman in “Raiders of the Lost Ark.” Spielberg fully understands why the latter is so cool. He wouldn’t change it if you chained him to the editing machine, I’d bet.

I’m starting to think Lucas’s endless mind games with “Star Wars” fans is some sort of “Magic Christian” prank in which he’s gotten bored with his mountain of money and is now having fun by messing with people’s heads. Maybe he’ll put Jar Jar in one of the TIE fighters at the end of “Star Wars” when he does the next re-edit, just to kick his most devoted acolytes in the groin. Exit question: Should Obama step in and have this guy arrested before he can do any more damage? Granted, Lucas hasn’t done anything illegal, but O’s all about acting extra-legally for virtuous ends. And this end would be virtuous enough that his approval rating would jump 20 points overnight.

Update: Screwed up the headline but it’s fixed now.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Of course he shot first! Stop ruining my childhood memories!

John the Libertarian on February 9, 2012 at 10:09 PM

And here we sit wasting time arguing over who’s going to be our nominee.

CurtZHP on February 9, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Of course he shot first! Stop ruining my childhood memories!

John the Libertarian on February 9, 2012 at 10:09 PM

I still own some of the ORIGINAL Star Wars cards.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 9, 2012 at 10:11 PM

George Lucas: Han shot first at Greedo in the original “Star Wars”

Isn’t he saying the exact opposite?

lorien1973 on February 9, 2012 at 10:12 PM

I heard Luke was actually the love child between JaJa Binks and Darth Vader.
I look forward to the 3D version of Phantom of the Menace like I look forward to a colonoscopy.

RovesChins on February 9, 2012 at 10:12 PM

appropriate music…*runs*

annoyinglittletwerp on February 9, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Thanks, alt. Best song ever produced. Sigh.

John the Libertarian on February 9, 2012 at 10:13 PM

I’m over it. Stop giving George your money and maybe he’ll stop.

Fallon on February 9, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Lucas is the worst, the absolute worst.

ConservativeLaw on February 9, 2012 at 10:13 PM

John the Libertarian on February 9, 2012 at 10:13 PM

I was only 6 or so when Star Wars came out. I soo wanted to be a disco queen.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 9, 2012 at 10:14 PM

My 9 yr old son recently asked me about George Lucas. Initial consternation gave way to a meandering reply…

mjbrooks3 on February 9, 2012 at 10:14 PM

I wonder if subconsciously Lucas is making a statement about the policy of preemption. Also, I think you got that headline backwards.

RightOFLeft on February 9, 2012 at 10:15 PM

I can see it now: Thousands of Star Wars fans going ballistic, bringing all their imitation lightsabers to Lucas’s house and bashing it down.

nobar on February 9, 2012 at 10:15 PM

George Lucas: Han shot first at Greedo in the original “Star Wars”

Don’t toke and blog, AP.

MadisonConservative on February 9, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Anyone over the age of 16 who gives a wit about Starwars needs to get out of the lab more often. I can’t believe I even clicked on the topic…Let alone left a comment…And I don’t even work in a lab.

Bandit13 on February 9, 2012 at 10:17 PM

mjbrooks3 on February 9, 2012 at 10:14 PM

We need your 9 yr old son to be the conservative answer to George Lucas.
*He says buy him a high end Apple computer and some more software*

RovesChins on February 9, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Headline correct?

Actually the re-edits really make me flinch and keep destroying the story line because you sit there thinking, why, oh, why did he do this!

INC on February 9, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Don’t toke and blog, AP.

MadisonConservative on February 9, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Yeah, just carelessness in my rush to get the post up. Fixed now.

Allahpundit on February 9, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Star Trek > Star Wars

SouthernGent on February 9, 2012 at 10:18 PM

I recently bought the Blu-Ray Ep. 4-6 and have to fast forward past the horrible inserted scenes (esp. meeting between Solo and Jabba). What a f***ing waste.

m064404 on February 9, 2012 at 10:19 PM

George Lucas: Han shot first at Greedo in the original “Star Wars”

HHS to mandate trigger locks on every gun…

Oh….we are onto another subject…

Electrongod on February 9, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Greedo shot first; he just missed at point blank range… (eyeroll)

DavidW on February 9, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Hang on, AP. I think he’s referring to the Yoda puppet from Phantom Menace, NOT the one in the Holy Trilogy. And that puppet was absolutely dreadful. It looked nothing like Yoda and the CGI change in the Blu-ray version(and presumably the 3D reissue) is one alteration that no one has objected to.

Doughboy on February 9, 2012 at 10:20 PM

I have to wonder how much of the original three movies Lucas had actual control over because he is tone deaf as far as knowing what people want?

sharrukin on February 9, 2012 at 10:20 PM

If there’s an edit Lucas should be making to his movies, it’s this:

(p.s. you have the headline flipped on this article).

The Schaef on February 9, 2012 at 10:20 PM

I think the CGI is way better than the puppets. The problem with the prequels is the writing, especially the cringe-inducing romance scenes with Anakin.

pauljc on February 9, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Star Trek > Star Wars

SouthernGent on February 9, 2012 at 10:18 PM

With all the new releases of the original trek….
And there are going to be more..

Electrongod on February 9, 2012 at 10:20 PM

We need your 9 yr old son to be the conservative answer to George Lucas.
RovesChins on February 9, 2012 at 10:18 PM

I’m working on it…

mjbrooks3 on February 9, 2012 at 10:21 PM

m064404 on February 9, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Why? Are these movies not on TV enough or something? Seems like every 2-3 months, TBS airs the entire trilogy.

lorien1973 on February 9, 2012 at 10:21 PM

You know what’s cool? Jar Jar Binks.

You know what’s not? Han Solo ventilating some alien.

- George Lucas.

lorien1973 on February 9, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Lucas just needs to shut up. It’s clear he somehow fumbled his way to making the original Star Wars a classic then lucked out hiring a competent director and screenwriter for Empire. His true talent shown through with Jedi and carried through ever since.
This is the guy who made Radioland Murders and we are surprised at how bad he got?
I love the original Star Wars. Before he destroyed it just for the sake of destroying it. empire is brilliant even with the edits. I can even overlook some of Jedi.
But the guy is terrible. And this hogwash….
A few points though. The prequels came after the Special Editions. So the edits were first. Second, Spielberg digitally changed guns to walkie talkies in ET. I wouldn’t be surprised if messed with Raiders.
South Park did a great episode where ewoks were digitally added to Raiders. It was brilliant.

tyketto on February 9, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Um….I never knew this was even a topic of debate. Of course Han fired first. Slickly pulled his blaster out under the table and capped Gredo while Gredo was still talking at him in mid-sentence.

Regardless of what Lucas wanted to capture in the original, it certainly came off (and I have always understood) that Han blew Gredo away before Gredo had the chance to do it to him. I liked Han for just reasons like this.

JoeinTX on February 9, 2012 at 10:23 PM

I soo wanted to be a disco queen.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 9, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Then this is for you, alt!

John the Libertarian on February 9, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Bandit13 on February 9, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Converted to the dark side you are.

Bunsin2 on February 9, 2012 at 10:25 PM

And the empire Yoda puppet is far more believable than any of the prequel Yodas.

tyketto on February 9, 2012 at 10:25 PM

I think Lucas should re-edit Star Wars so those buzzes and clicks from R2-D2 sound like farts instead.

radjah shelduck on February 9, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Great post, AP.

What’s sad is that Lucas’ creative genius didn’t come with a basic understanding of human emotion–why we feel what we do. Thus the bad acting and uneven casting decisions–Jimmy Smits and Samuel L. Jackson . . . in Star Wars . . . really?

Come to think of it, Lucas reminds me of Romney in that sense. Romney is apparently the only one who doesn’t realize how plastic he comes across and how lame his conservative pretensions and patriotic ramblings are.

jazz_piano on February 9, 2012 at 10:25 PM

THIS. For some reason the Phantom Menace used this horrible Yoda puppet that scarcely resembled the Yoda from Empire and Jedi. The eyes made Yoda looked cracked out.

DavidW on February 9, 2012 at 10:27 PM

He’s get my vote.

ReformedDeceptiCon on February 9, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Greedo shot first; he just missed at point blank range… (eyeroll)

DavidW on February 9, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Well when your a bug eyed puppet named ‘Greedo’ with someones hand up your a$$ it may be a little hard to aim right.

Bunsin2 on February 9, 2012 at 10:28 PM

sharrukin on February 9, 2012 at 10:20 PM

He had a lot of control, but they were still far more collaborative than the prequels. He had Kasdan assisting him with the writing on Empire and Jedi. He had his ex-wife Marcia along with a few other editors who managed to salvage the original Star Wars when the initial cut looked like a disaster. He had Gary Kurtz helping to guide the production of Star Wars and Empire. And of course director Irvin Kershner who paid far more attention to the performances in Empire than Lucas ever would have.

Whereas with the prequels, he was the director and primary writer. He had a “yes man” in Rick McCallum as his producer. And there was never any studio exec breathing down his neck, so he pretty much was allowed to do anything he wanted without objection. Not to mention the inescapable truth that he was not the same filmmaker talentwise that he was 20 years earlier.

Doughboy on February 9, 2012 at 10:28 PM

You know what’s cool? Jar Jar Binks.

You know what’s not? Han Solo ventilating some alien.

- George Lucas.

lorien1973 on February 9, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Thanks, lorien, now I’ve got it. Jar Jar Binks is actually Barack H. Obama in disguise.
So, would you hit that?

RovesChins on February 9, 2012 at 10:28 PM

You know what’s cool? Jar Jar Binks.

You know what’s not? Han Solo ventilating some alien.

- George Lucas.

lorien1973 on February 9, 2012 at 10:22 PM

That about sums it up.

jazz_piano on February 9, 2012 at 10:29 PM

********************* Ah Nuts ********************************

canopfor on February 9, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Oh great, AP changed the headline so my up top comment makes me look like a complete doofus. Which, of course, isn’t hard to do.

John the Libertarian on February 9, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Bandit13 on February 9, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Star Wars was a fun part of some of our childhoods.
Lighten up, Francis.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 9, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Doughboy on February 9, 2012 at 10:28 PM

That does explain it somewhat. I just couldn’t get into the ‘prequels’. They were watchable but lacked the magic of the first three.

sharrukin on February 9, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Full disclosure: I WOULD vote for Obama if he did this.

MadisonConservative on February 9, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Wow AP, I didn’t realize you were such a fanboy.

In real time, the first 2 movies were great. The 3rd and 4th ones were big disappointments. The 5th and 6th ones were pretty good.

And no, I will not be seeing the 3D versions.

Captain Kirock on February 9, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Or that Leia is Luke’s sister.

Let’s face it, Lucas went off the deep end a long, long time ago.

ZGMF_Freedom on February 9, 2012 at 10:34 PM

tyketto on February 9, 2012 at 10:23 PM

The only edits made to Raiders that I’m aware of are digitally fixing some gaffes like the cobra’s reflection in the protective glass when Indy falls into the Well of Souls. That scene works a lot better now that that’s been removed.

What’s funny is Spielberg in recent years has gone in the complete opposition direction of Lucas. He’s so hardcore now about not changing the original cuts of his films that he’s even against fixing gaffes and has been almost apologetic over the E.T. Special Edition.

Personally, I have no problem with a director reediting his or her movie. Just offer the original version along with the newer cut which Spielberg did with the E.T. DVD and Close Encounters on Blu-ray. Ridley Scott and James Cameron are also very good about this which is why no one gives them crap for all their Special Editions and Director’s Cuts.

Doughboy on February 9, 2012 at 10:34 PM

I love Indiana Jones. I love the original Star Wars trilogy. I grew up on them. Lucas can never ruin them for me no matter how hard he tries. My next thought…..I’m simply stunned at AP’s detailed knowledge of the nuances in the films. That’s why we never see you, you’re one of those closet Trekkie guys in a Spock smock.

trish333 on February 9, 2012 at 10:36 PM

“Maybe he’ll put Jar Jar in one of the TIE fighters at the end of “Star Wars” when he does the next re-edit, just to kick his most devoted acolytes in the groin.”

I was wondering how Lucas was going to re-write history for Obowma…

Seven Percent Solution on February 9, 2012 at 10:36 PM

I thought the best part was changing Greedos shirt color.

BL@KBIRD on February 9, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Lucas no doubt changed his position on who shot first as a result of F & F. Clearly not a 2nd amendment advocate.

FLconservative on February 9, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Where is the link to the Super Star Wars fan who has women chained in his basement…?

Seven Percent Solution on February 9, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Lucas can’t have Han shoot first. Then he would be agreeing with George W. Bush about preemptive strikes being necessary.

reddevil on February 9, 2012 at 10:40 PM

So, would you hit that?

RovesChins on February 9, 2012 at 10:28 PM

I dunno, but Greedo has a perty mouth.

lorien1973 on February 9, 2012 at 10:41 PM

So I’m thinking…..is Greedo,part of the 1%
or,99%!(sarc)

canopfor on February 9, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Captain Kirock on February 9, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Apart from the Ewoks, I think RotJ is just as powerful as the first two. The entire storyline of Luke’s facing his father and the Emperor, and Vader’s struggle, is amazingly gripping.

MadisonConservative on February 9, 2012 at 10:42 PM

I wonder who really made Star Wars & Empire. Sure as hell wasn’t Lucas.

Splashman on February 9, 2012 at 10:43 PM

I loved all the movies including the prequels though I could have done without the twit Natalie Portman. No doubt the men will strenuously disagree.

I also loved the I J movies. I don’t pick movies apart when I watch them; I just want to enjoy them

FLconservative on February 9, 2012 at 10:44 PM

MadisonConservative on February 9, 2012 at 10:42 PM

The emperor saying “come to the dark side” a billion times gets old. His persuasive skills had a lot to be desired.

Well, now that you’ve asked a million times. Sure!

lorien1973 on February 9, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Greedo from Syria,just sent a “Thank-You”,to Greedo in Iran!(sarc)

O/T,
=====

Syria’s top Muslim cleric

thanks

Iran’s Ahmadinejad for his support of Syria’s government

Submitted 12 mins ago from english.alarabiya.net
=============================

canopfor on February 9, 2012 at 10:45 PM

I wonder who really made Star Wars & Empire. Sure as hell wasn’t Lucas.

Splashman on February 9, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Empire Strikes Back was written and directed by someone else. Not Lucas. It was some guy who wanted to focus on the characters. By that margin, it was successful.

Too bad nothing actually happened during that entire movie.

lorien1973 on February 9, 2012 at 10:45 PM

MadisonConservative on February 9, 2012 at 10:42 PM

MadisonConservative:Emotional Gribbage,spot on!
(sarc):)

canopfor on February 9, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Q: What substance was Han Solo frozen in?
A: Who gives a sh!t

Stu Gotts on February 9, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Full disclosure: I WOULD vote for Obama if he did this.

MadisonConservative on February 9, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Me too. That’s not much of a concession, though. Either way, we’ll get a big-spending, big-government sleazeball.

Splashman on February 9, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Those Red Letter Media reviews of the prequel trilogy are literally the only good thing that came out of Episodes I-III.

It still amazes me how something so nearly flawless and classic (the original trilogy) can be followed up creatively by some of the worst movies ever made.

Whats a Seawolf on February 9, 2012 at 10:49 PM

It’s called character growth. Of course Han shot first. He’s a scoundrel, only in it for the money. He thinks Luke is a brat. He does like Leia from the beginning despite his protests. She acts just like the type he can really go for.

Upon escaping the Death Star he calls for Luke’s help, and in a calm caring voice he calls him “buddy”. Fighting side by side, he has bonded with Luke. He’s still a scoundrel in it for the money. Leaving Yavin IV, he invites Luke along. Naturally Luke declines, but it is a touching moment that Han invited him at all.

His last minute interference that saved Luke was unexpected but logical. Han for the first time cared for something more than money. (Ok, except for Chewbacca and the Millenium Falcon.)

Next movie, Luke is lost. Han yells at a crewman no one is looking for his friend. Not “buddy”, “friend”. Then he looks for him himself. That is not something Han of Mos Eisley would have done.

Then comes the third movie. His transformation is complete. He volunteers to lead the rebel attack against the shield generator. That is what’s so important about Leia’s surprise look and smile. Han volunteered to help. She immediately signed up and proudly calls him “general” when they depart.

Han Solo is an anti-hero who became a hero. He has to have shot first.

hadsil on February 9, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Too bad nothing actually happened during that entire movie.

lorien1973 on February 9, 2012 at 10:45 PM

You’re entitled to your stupid opinion.

Splashman on February 9, 2012 at 10:49 PM

I would disagree on one point here. The ship themselves look better as models. BUT, the outlines that we saw to get them into the movies, took away from the immersion.

Zaggs on February 9, 2012 at 10:51 PM

By popular Demand……

SuperNews!: Jabba the Rush:
***************************

canopfor on February 9, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Han didn’t shoot first, Han fired the only shot! Greedo had zero chance, like an idiot, he leveled a weapon on an opponent and didn’t use it.

Solo never came across as a cold blooded killer, he’s just smarter than that lackwit Rodian ever dreamed.

PXCharon on February 9, 2012 at 10:52 PM

It’s funny, I can’t remember a single day of being 4 years old in 1977, except going to see Star Wars, which I remember in intricate detail. It’s the single most vivid memory of my childhood.

Sharke on February 9, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Jar Jar is actually the real power behind the Emperor… Darth Cheney if you will.

malclave on February 9, 2012 at 10:53 PM

reddevil on February 9, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Lucas is surrounded by sissy liberal girly men, who never stand up to him.

Episodes 1 2 and 3 were all about liberalism. The bad-a$$ ness was gone.

“Annie” ?? Really? “It’s not fair!!”

Of course Han never shot first. That’s too gutsy.

B Man on February 9, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Whats a Seawolf on February 9, 2012 at 10:49 PM

That’s the only reason I’m thankful that I-III were made. So it could be demonstrated conclusively that Lucas is a blithering idiot. We all knew it. RLM simply compiled the evidence.

Splashman on February 9, 2012 at 10:54 PM

that’s a great point!

ted c on February 9, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Update: Screwed up the headline but it’s fixed now.

Allah!!! Stop messing with the original!! You’re becoming George Lucas.

cabbie25 on February 9, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Spielberg didn’t re-edit that ROLA scene because he thought it went over so well. Harrison Ford, incidentally, was ill that day and ad-libbed the shot because he didn’t want to fight with the guy. I thought it was one of the best scenes of the whole movie and we just watched it a few weeks back with the kids.

ted c on February 9, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Speaking of HanSolo getting frozen in sh!t, when Madonna dropped through the floor and all of the steam came rising up at the end of her retreaded Super Bowl show, Han Solo getting froze was the first thing that came to my mind.

ted c on February 9, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Too bad nothing actually happened during that entire movie.

lorien1973 on February 9, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Yeah, nothing happened. Aside from the Empire kicking the Rebellion’s ass, Leia confessing her love for Han before he’s frozen and taken away by Boba Fett, Lando joining the Rebellion in order to redeem himself, the Emperor and Vader plotting to turn Luke to the Dark Side, and Luke learning the ways of the Force from Yoda, getting his ass kicked by Vader, and learning that Vader is his father.

Other than those somewhat important developments, that was an utterly uneventful 2 hours.

Doughboy on February 9, 2012 at 10:59 PM

You know what’s cool? Jar Jar Binks.

You know what’s not? Han Solo ventilating some alien.

- George Lucas.

lorien1973 on February 9, 2012 at 10:22 PM

What’s REALLY not cool? Having more advanced droids and spacecraft in Episodes 1-3 than 4-6. What an idiot Lucas was. How many fans did he lose because of this?

I couldn’t watch 2 & 3 because of this. No integrity. So who cares what he says about who shot first? In the original video tape version I have, ONLY Han shot. Period.

Sporty1946 on February 9, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Zaggs on February 9, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Fair enough. So if you or I were deciding how to “fix” the originals, we’d tell our CGI experts to remove the outlines.

Lucas’ method of “fixing” the originals is to tell his CGI Experts to make certain that at every moment in the movie, we can see obvious CGI.

Splashman on February 9, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Admit it, guys: You wish they could all be G33k and G4m3r Girls, who all know that Han shot first.

pookysgirl on February 9, 2012 at 11:01 PM

amazingly gripping.

MadisonConservative on February 9, 2012 at 10:42 PM

MadisonConservative:Oops,thats Grippage,not (Gribbage),slinks off
to the corner!

canopfor on February 9, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Vader: Luke Search your feelings I’m your father

Luke: That can’t be true it’s a lie

Vader: And Chewbaccas your mother.

halfbaked on February 9, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Remember a few years ago, all those theories about Obama being a Manchurian candidate?

And the speculation about who might be the puppeteer mastermind behind BHO?

So … where was George Lucas in 2008?

RedPepper on February 9, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Sporty1946 on February 9, 2012 at 11:00 PM

I’ve never seen II or III either. I was certain they’d both be a waste of my time. And I’ve never once been tempted to watch them. Not even a little bit.

Splashman on February 9, 2012 at 11:03 PM

radjah shelduck on February 9, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Shooooooooosh! Don’t give Lucas any more ideas…

Kevin71 on February 9, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Yeah, that didn’t make any sense either. That was something that always stuck under my craw. Ignore everything else.

Also, somewhat interesting that in Episode 3, there was a huge space battle in orbit of that main planet, but there is no obvious surface damage to the planet at all. What was the point of that assault? Clearly not to do damage to the republic’s infrastructure.

lorien1973 on February 9, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Splashman on February 9, 2012 at 11:03 PM

It took me a couple of years to get around to watching them and… you aren’t missing much. They are slight improvement to the first of the prequels, which isn’t saying much.

sharrukin on February 9, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Star Trek > Star Wars
SouthernGent on February 9, 2012 at 10:18 PM

You may have noticed that in the current copies of the original 60s Star Trek TV series that are running, they replaced the original cheesy space scenes with ones done with contemporary CGI technology.

They matched the style closely but they are obviously different with a better, more “realistic” quality.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on February 9, 2012 at 11:09 PM

No, I think he had a point there. While free, everything in the galaxy was shiny and new. Under Palpatine’s rule, everything became decrepit and run down. You know, like Detroit under Democrats.

Kevin71 on February 9, 2012 at 11:11 PM

I stopped giving a dang about the Star Wars movies after the first re-release. Red Letter Media is brilliant and brutal in his criticism. It’s unfortunate because the original untainted trilogy was good up until all that nostalgia was warped.

I hope they never get around to making sequels (especially not attempting to use anything by Timothy Zahn) while Lucas is still alive. eh… at least the clone wars cartoons were great (not the cgi junk).

Ukiah on February 9, 2012 at 11:12 PM

If Greedo shot first, he’s the worst bounty hunter in the universe because he can’t shoot someone three feet away from him in a reclining position.

Jabba’s like “Greedo, shoot that barn. No, you missed. No, you missed again. Holy crap, you suck.”

Nethicus on February 9, 2012 at 11:12 PM

JoeinTX on February 9, 2012 at 10:23 PM

This.

… and I don’t understand why Lucas has such a problem with this. If you are in fear for your life, deadly force is justified, you don’t have to wait until you are shot at before firing back. That was a Bolshevik law that one had to be shot before being allowed to shoot back. The character Solo was acting in a totally rationale and justified fashion. The statement, “I’ve been looking forward to this for a long time” while drawing his weapon after Solo made the statement, “Over my dead body” was sufficient rationale for use of deadly force. Totally logical, totally consistent, and not at all something to apologize for.

AZfederalist on February 9, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Bandit13 on February 9, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Anyone under 16 that knows about Star Wars has parents way too obsessed with their own childhood. Its old and lame.

bernverdnardo1 on February 9, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Behold, the liberal mind! Shooting a person who has a gun pointed at you and has just stated he is going to kill you would make you a cold-blooded killer who gunned the man pointing the gun at you down. Unless of course that man shot first. If he shoots first you can begin to defend yourself. That is provided he misses at point-blank range.

Pattosensei on February 9, 2012 at 11:22 PM