Video: Prepare for Iran’s female ninja teams

posted at 10:25 am on February 7, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

I’ve seen plenty of conservatives being supportive of the idea of a preemptive strike against Iran’s potential nuclear arms capability, either by us or Israel. One perfectly valid reason for such confidence is the flat out awesomeness of our military and their ability to take on any challenge which comes our way. But they may have to start boning up on special operations if we come to blows, because President Ahmadinejad apparently has a secret ace up his sleeve. Are you ready for Iran’s female ninjas?

The school opened in 1989 but now has 3,500 women in training to become kunoichi – female ninjas.

But as Israel steps up pressure on Iran, over fears the country is building nuclear weapons, these lethal ninjas could be called upon to represent their country if relations descend into military conflict.

Iran has a mandatory Army conscription for men aged 18, but it is limited to 18 months service, so these kunoichi could prove very useful.

One hardly knows where to begin. The linked article has a wealth of pictures of these warrior women for you to enjoy, but the video we’ll get to below is even better. A few questions popped out right away, not the least of which was the fact that most of the women expose their faces on film. (I thought that was generally a no-no?) It’s not that the training doesn’t seem to be genuinely realistic and probably a fairly good cardio workout, but the fighting style on display seems to be somewhat less than threatening.

The level of realism in the video may look familiar to some of you, particularly if you’re fans of Richard Harrison back in the 80′s. In fact, I think we may need some sort of a side by side comparison. First, take a look at the news coverage of Iran’s latest crew of elite fighters.

Now, let’s compare that to the classic Harrison trailer for… The Ninja Squad.

That should start your morning off on a solid note. Enjoy.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’d hit it…

… Oh, wait!

Seven Percent Solution on February 7, 2012 at 1:16 PM

That looks a lot like the cheerleaders at our high school. Amadinnerjacket must be so proud. Iran is like a kid that just has to taunt the family pitbull. Just plain dumbass.

Gandalf on February 7, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Something about the top video, starting @ 38s, gives me a tingle down my leg…

Danny on February 7, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Yiwen on February 7, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Sorry, I wasn’t very specific and my writing was unclear. I didn’t mean to imply that the -do forms didn’t appear until after WWII. I was meant that statement to be included into how they became showy. I should have added a sentence explaining when the -do forms were created. You of course are correct. Thanks for covering for me.

Pattosensei on February 7, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Sorry, isn’t a Japanese martial art un-Islamic?

Anyway, all you’d have to do is yank their hijabs down over their eyes. Fight over.

RebeccaH on February 7, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Something about the top video, starting @ 38s, gives me a tingle down my leg…

Danny on February 7, 2012 at 1:20 PM

You sure that’s a tingle, and not pee?

stacman on February 7, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Constipation Squad

Kini on February 7, 2012 at 2:37 PM

I am a 65 year old man, untrained in any martial arts (but a ranked national tennis player)…put me in a room with any one of those women, and at 6’2″ and 210 lbs, I will break them in two…put most any man in a room of any two of them, and you will have four pieces of women.
Sorry women, but few, and certainly not them, few women can defeat a man in hand to hand combat, no matter the training.
200 lb. man against a 120 lb women, is a defeat unless the woman has a gun…

right2bright on February 7, 2012 at 10:36 AM

A 120 lb professional female boxer would put you on the floor with one uppercut. A 120 lb professional female karate fighter would put you on the floor with one kick to the jaw.

But yeah, you’re tough.

You-Eh-Vee on February 7, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Hey Steve Oderkirk, here is the sequel to your “Kung Pao, Enter the Fist” movie you’ve been looking for.

jake49 on February 7, 2012 at 3:22 PM

I finally had a chance to actually watch the entire video the entire way through, and my reaction is:

There are only a couple of techniques shown that look similar to the flat/cupped-handed strikes, takedowns, and rolls I was taught in Hatsumi’s Bujinkan method.

Much of the other stuff these ladies are doing looks a lot more like Tae Kwon Do or Hapkido. For example, a lot of the standing high kicking or jumping kicks. Definitely doesn’t resemble any Bujinkan Ninpo moves I ever studied. Neither do the joint lock moves.

And when the Persian dude is handling that katana, those are definitely samurai-type pull-slice moves, not the straight ninja-blade “push cut” moves I learned either.

Overall? My guess…and it’s JUST a guess…is that perhaps whomever started the club shown in the video may have studied some basic Bujinkan Ninpo, but probably studied more of the Korean arts and tried pulling the whole thing together with a lot of flashy Gymkata jumping and flashy kusari-gama weapons moves that may not have much to do with real combat techniques.

If there’s anyone on HA that’s studied Hatsumi’s Bujinkan for an extended period of time, who could possibly comment further, I’d love to see their analysis.

Yiwen on February 7, 2012 at 3:24 PM

But yeah, you’re tough.

You-Eh-Vee on February 7, 2012 at 2:59 PM

A falsehood if I ever heard one. A professional 120lb “karate fighter” or female boxer might have a better chance of putting 6’2″ 210lb man out, but she would have the following disadvantages: including weight (mass), height (reach), strength, and adrenaline output, and the structure of the male body (the genders are built differently, sorry). That professional better hope that 210lb 6’2″ man is old and really, really out of shape.

Sport fighting is not the same thing as a real fight. Karate and Boxing won’t get your very far when the guy charges you and uses his weight to crush you. Size and strength do matter (even in the sports…thus weight classes). Technique can help even things up, but some physical gaps cannot be overcome with technique alone. That girl better have a weapon advantage.

Now, could she take out a 5’10, 160-170 lb guy. Yeah, her chances are much better (again, depending on his physical fitness and body shape).

Pattosensei on February 7, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Exactly. A “professional..karate fighter”, or kickboxer, or whatever, even being male, would have a hard time putting a 200-lb man down with one shot if he’s a small guy. Training is useful, but doesn’t impart superhuman strength or speed, no matter how many 90-pound models you see high-kick a bunch of guys into submission in the movies…nothing more funny to a tough guy than some little shrimp who fancies himself a martial-artist…

timkellogg on February 7, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Now THIS is what I call a comment thread.

Cleombrotus on February 7, 2012 at 4:03 PM

I bet an ounce of well placed lead would put any 200 lb. man down rather easily.

GT on February 7, 2012 at 5:44 PM

I was thinking more of Harrison Ford

AZfederalist on February 7, 2012 at 5:51 PM

I think that Iranian TV reporter chicky is at least Today Show quality. Matt Lauer should watch out!

schmuck281 on February 8, 2012 at 4:32 AM

I’m almost left speechless, almost. After looking at this, I have to wonder. “Why is anyone in the world scared of Iran?” Is this truly the best they can do in terms of propaganda? They remind me of Kadafi’s “Revolutionary Nuns.” They didn’t save him did they. Of course he abandoned them, and they were hunted down and killed. They are graceful, but you have to wonder. Is there any force behind their hits? And more importantly, can they take a hit?

Tommy_G on February 8, 2012 at 6:25 AM

Training is useful, but doesn’t impart superhuman strength or speed

timkellogg on February 7, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Then you don’t know NINJAs! Hayah! ;)

GWB on February 8, 2012 at 9:47 AM