Quotes of the day; Update: Santorum speech added

posted at 10:41 pm on February 7, 2012 by Allahpundit

“By defeating Mitt Romney in the Missouri primary on Tuesday, Rick Santorum nursed the niggling perception that the frontrunner for the Republican nomination has yet to close the deal with conservative voters…

“‘Tonight’s victory should put to bed the idea that the Republican nomination for Mitt Romney is inevitable,’ said Stuart Roy, an advisor to the super-PAC backing Santorum that ran television ads on his behalf in Missouri.”

***

“At this point in the presidential race, it’s about expectations and momentum. And the perceptions of both have changed post-Missouri at least somewhat.

“By winning in Missouri, Santorum proved three things:

“1) That Romney can lose

“2) That he can beat Romney head-to-head under the right set of circumstances

“3) That this race isn’t yet over

“Santorum is not a front-runner yet; that’s still clearly Romney. But the former Pennsylvania senator did do something to call into question Romney’s coronation.”

***

“On Saturday, a lot of people were wondering how much longer Rick Santorum would stay in the Republican presidential race. Tonight, he has won Missouri and likely Minnesota and he’s reemerged as the leading conservative alternative to Mitt Romney. Momentum, conventional wisdom holds, is now on his side. But if there’s one thing we’ve learned so far in this volatile 2012 race, it’s that momentum isn’t as powerful a force as it used to be…

“After Santorum won Iowa, he had underwelming performances in successive contests in New Hampshire, South Carolina, Florida and Nevada. By contrast, Gingrich finished fourth in both Iowa and New Hamphsire and was dead in the water heading into South Carolina. But he came back to trounce Romney there, who had been coming off his huge win in New Hampshire. Despite being blown out in South Carolina, Romney bounced back to run away with the race in Florida and Nevada, and some people expected him to run the table in February. Yet here comes Santorum again.”

***

“As the caucuses and primaries pick up pace, with Colorado and Minnesota taking center stage today, many are wondering whether the initial enthusiasm surrounding the Republican race is waning, given the remarkably low turnout in the Nevada caucuses, which came and went with little fanfare…

“In both Florida and Nevada, turnout dropped sharply from 2008. Florida saw nearly 280,000 fewer voters in its primary last week, while more than 11,000 fewer voters turned out to vote in Nevada on Saturday compared to four years ago. Mitt Romney won both states by a landslide.

“Some observers say the declining interest is a reflection of the lack of enthusiasm for the former Massachusetts governor.”

***

“What it did not mention was that caucus turnout dropped precipitously from the 2008 contest, and that Romney did not perform as well on Saturday as he did then.

“Ryan Erwin, Romney’s consultant in Nevada, put it this way, ‘This year, the excitement is different: This isn’t about going to Disneyworld; it’s about paying your mortgage.’

“Maybe so, but in Florida and New Hampshire, the former Massachusetts governor’s favorability ratings have declined as negative campaigning in the GOP primary has raged.”

***

“‘I feel great that Minnesota is going to change the direction of this race tonight,’ Santorum told supporters at a Tuesday afternoon rally in Blaine, Minn. ‘Governor Romney’s been able to bully his way through this primary . . . but he’s not inspiring. He’s not painting the vision.’”

***

***

***

Update: “Conservatism is alive and well.”

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Romney/Romneycare lost because he’s a Democrat!

Pragmatic on February 8, 2012 at 7:45 AM

‘Nuff Said.
The Ken Doll isn’t nearly as popular as his narcissism portrays.

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on February 8, 2012 at 8:50 AM

The War Planner on February 8, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Good morning. You sir, are a gentleman.

Flora Duh on February 8, 2012 at 7:54 AM

If I may, agreed. There is no reason we have to insult each other, even when we disagree, it shouldn’t get that personal.

But when it does, it’s hard not to respond.. I’m not planning on gloating over these victories.. much as a couple deserve the snark, it’s time for Snatorum voters to do what the others mostly haven’t. I say that as a reformed uncommited, reformed Newt supporter.. a change made before last night.

I just would like to be on the side where being an adult is expected.. I’m tired of being insulted for simply making a choice somebody doesn’t like. It appears The War Planner is as well.

mark81150 on February 8, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Flora Duh on February 8, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Decided to take a little drive over to the open thread, just to have a peek. I see you opted to put down the pole and go with the gig, smart move. Nice for katythemeanoldlady to have the frying pan heated up, seasoned and at the ready. Good times, good times.

Bmore on February 8, 2012 at 8:57 AM

mark81150 on February 8, 2012 at 8:54 AM

I agree.

Well, except for being a reformed Newt supporter. I’m still clinging to hope. But I am happy for Senator Santorum and his supporters.

Flora Duh on February 8, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Bmore on February 8, 2012 at 8:57 AM

LOL I adore that old broad.

Flora Duh on February 8, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Santorum as the nominee doesn’t give me a lot of confidence when it comes to the general, but with that said, I do like the idea that Romney has to keep looking back in his right rear view mirror. Don’t want him to think he can do this without us.
Another commenter mentioned Santorum will be “kookified” (love that word) if he gains any traction and I had the same thought as well. I expect the MSM/Romney campaign not to waste any time in that endeavor.

lynncgb on February 8, 2012 at 9:34 AM

canopfor on February 8, 2012 at 7:53 AM
________________________________________

He handled that gang very well, I thought. He’s coming up on Fox & Friends next.
Naturally Curly on February 8, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Naturally Curly:Yes,I agree he did a great job!

canopfor on February 8, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Maybe Santorum should run for Governor of PA and get some executive experience, before he throws stones at Romney. Harrisburg is bankrupt and could use his help.

Fleuries on February 8, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Morning everyone, Omaha this is for you,

MontanaMmmm on February 8, 2012 at 10:02 AM

It appears The War Planner is as well.

mark81150 on February 8, 2012 at 8:54 AM

..while no one likes being insulted, I am was more concerned over the tone here at HA. My frustration over “how come they don’t like Romney” was put to bed when I had a little session with myself and my ever-present bottle of Lismore’s in which I put on some of your shoes and walked a click or two. (Gotta say, Flora, those size 7 high heels you wear are a little uncomfortable.) When I realized that trying to convince someone that Romney is a good choice is the same as someone trying to convince me that Obama is doing a fine job.

A few highballs later, I figured that it was not worth it getting into fights with your friends.

Like I said, I am on board no matter who the nominee. And I am on board long past the November elections — until we all get the country and gummint we want.

The War Planner on February 8, 2012 at 10:55 AM