Open thread: Colorado, Minnesota, Missouri; Update: Santorum wins Missouri; Update: Santorum wins Minnesota

posted at 7:45 pm on February 7, 2012 by Allahpundit

The polls in Missouri’s “beauty contest” primary close at 8 p.m. ET, right as the Minnesota caucuses get going. Colorado’s caucuses will start an hour later. Here’s your thread to follow the returns as they roll in. No delegates at stake tonight, but this is probably Santorum’s last chance to breeze past Newt as the race’s designated Not Romney. Read Ed’s post on the latest PPP numbers if you missed it this morning: He’s up by 13 points in Missouri (where Gingrich isn’t on the ballot) and by nine in Minnesota. If he wins both easily, then he gets a bunch of positive media coverage this week and maybe a few more big-name conservative endorsements, which in turn could mean enough movement in the polls to put him on at least an equal footing with Gingrich. Once that happens, the pressure will shift to Newt to explain why he should stay in and divide the conservative vote on the strength of having won one state while Santorum should drop out after having won three. Is that enough to get Gingrich to quit? Why … no, but it’ll make an increasingly dull primary interesting again until Super Tuesday.

In the interest of equal time, Nate Silver is bullish on what this all means for Santorum:

The results, nevertheless, will provide an important test of how robust Mitt Romney’s coalition is on less favorable terrain than in states like New Hampshire or Nevada. And they could potentially revitalize the campaign of one of Mr. Romney’s opponents, Rick Santorum.

Nor should one go too far in dismissing the results. The process that Minnesota and Colorado use, holding separate votes for presidential preference and delegate selection at their caucuses, is essentially the same one that was used in Iowa. Missouri is a more debatable case, but as the first primary of any kind held in the Midwest — perhaps Mr. Romney’s weakest region — it may tell us something about how states like Michigan and Ohio are likely to vote when they hold key primaries on Feb. 28 and March 6, respectively.

Here’s the handy dandy Google Elections page for results. To toggle between Colorado, Missouri, and Minnesota, just use the “Showing results for” menu on the upper right. While we wait, two dumb clips to entertain you — one of Obama learning how a marshmallow cannon works and the other of Newt finally lapsing into tongues from his rage at Romney. Stay tuned for updates.

video platform
video management
video solutions
video player

Update: At 9:45 ET, multiple networks are calling Missouri for Santorum. He’s up by almost 30 points with 40 percent reporting as I write this. Still early in Missouri and Colorado, though.

Update: At 10:20 ET, NBC calls Minnesota for Santorum too. And no wonder: As I write this, he’s leading there by 17 points over … Ron Paul. (Gingrich is dead last, incidentally.) Can he sweep by winning Colorado too? Romney won big there in 2008, but with nearly eight percent of precincts reporting, Santorum’s out to an almost 30-point lead. Stand by for possible declaration of Santorumania.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 13 14 15 16

OrdinaryColoradan on February 8, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Hear, hear!

Robert_Paulson on February 8, 2012 at 3:01 AM

I have no doubt that this is largely due to Christians perceptions of Mormonism as a crazy cult and Socon’s dreams of a “benevolent” Big Brother government watching over us, Bible in hand.

1984 in real life on February 8, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Race Mormon card? Check
Angry paranoia mirroring liberal bete noire? Check

Come on, are we supposed to accept this kind of stuff as anything other than sour grapes? I understand your guy didn’t win, but is there really that much of a difference between any of these candidates?

And respectfully, I personally wouldn’t get all huffy at “Christians” (whoever that broad brush-stroke was supposed to indicate) when you have a much more plausible target for your anger, Romney himself, who has a pretty long list of negatives that most assuredly influence voters’ thinking a great deal more than the religious bigotry you’re prepared to tar them with.

Incidentally, you seem to have differentiated between Christians and Mormons. Was that intentional?

Nom de Boom on February 8, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Now the Romney guns will be brought about toward Santorum. We will see how his supporters like the viscous attacks from Romney, is PACs and the his media lap dogs. Its going to be ugly.

JeffVader on February 8, 2012 at 3:03 AM

canopfor on February 8, 2012 at 2:38 AM
Don’t worry… That money is going to Obama’s SuperPac….

Y314K on February 8, 2012 at 2:54 AM

Y314K:Ugh,you mentioned Hopeys Super Pakys!!
============================================

Obama campaign reverses stance, urges donations to super PAC

Submitted Feb. 6, 2012, 11:51 p.m. from firstread.msnbc.msn.com
============================

canopfor on February 8, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Otay,dis time,I’m gone:)

canopfor on February 8, 2012 at 3:04 AM

Hi ChicagoJewishGuy! I’m a Newt supporter! Although, I will happily support Santorum over Romney.

JonBGood on February 8, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Newt is certainly not done yet. Strategically, his plan seems to have worked to perfection. Instead of him and Santorum splitting the base, they will each pick up enough votes to at least challenge whatever Romney has gathered, Santorum in the Midwest and Newt in the South. Romney may pick up CA and NY, but at this point I am not sure. Really good thinking on Newt’s part, IMO. Save your money, let Santorum beat up Romney for now and make Romney ow spend more money on two fronts.

Next couple of months will be interesting. I am fine with Santorum, to a point, but would prefer Newt.

riddick on February 8, 2012 at 3:05 AM

riddick on February 8, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Is this like the WWF where they have those tag team matches? ;-)

JonBGood on February 8, 2012 at 3:07 AM

Sarah Palin is the reason we have a long and contested primary.

CoolChange80 on February 8, 2012 at 3:08 AM

Whew, thank goodness Red Eye didn’t get bounced from its slot for endless primary coverage.

clancy_wiggum on February 8, 2012 at 3:10 AM

This shook up the GOP establishment in Colorado, make no mistake.

Its pretty simple: The state GOP apparatus, with former McCain people and all the Romney people, supported Romney. Large numbers of LDS voters here as a pool to draw on. Lots of money spent on direct mail, and he was basically the only one making robo-calls – some folks got 4 of them plus a live call! On top of that, Romney won Colorado in 2008. Romney had everything going his way in CO –
yet despite all those advantages, Romney still didn’t get more than 35%, and got beat by a guy on a shoestring budget. Why? Message, Obamacare, and state/local politics.

We don’t trust the so-called GOP elites here anymore. And we are now angry enough to get out and do something. The rest of us, the “grass roots” GOP members, especially the newly active Tea Party types, got trained in how to do caucuses and precinct elections, and showed up in larger numbers than the establishment expected. And Santorum was the beneficiary. At our precincts, Gingrich was seen as an untrustworthy beltway bandit, Romney as the ultimate sell-out establishment guy, and many of us were simply tired of both of those types of GOP “elites”. So we voted for the only other viable conservative choice we had: Santorum. He has flaws, but they are probably the most easily mendable.

But the big thing is that we put our people in as delegates to the county and state instead of the usual people who ahve been there for decades in some cases — we will be making changes to the bosses; we are out to kick in the door of the old boy network personified by the Owens clique, Dick Wadhams et al, who have been running the GOP in Colorado for nearly a decade, and who have blown every election cycle since 2004.

We aim to misbehave.

OrdinaryColoradan on February 8, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Awesome. The Tea Party is bearing real fruit already. I’m not really so concerned about who gets the nomination, because I’ll vote for any of them. What excites me is the way this nomination process has really flushed out a lot of the establishment types who have stabbed us in the back so often. They still don’t understand that the paradigm has shifted.

Nom de Boom on February 8, 2012 at 3:10 AM

I wonder how much Tim Pawlenty’s support of Mitt Romney helped in Minnesota?

JonBGood on February 8, 2012 at 3:15 AM

We aim to misbehave.

OrdinaryColoradan on February 8, 2012 at 2:45 AM

I think this level of “housecleaning” is occurring in a lot of states, under the radar. The tea party is far from dead, instead they are turning deadly for the ruling elites. I love it.

Job well done, Colorado!!!

karenhasfreedom on February 8, 2012 at 3:18 AM

Anyone who thinks the Tea Party is dead is drinking the wrong koolaid. Right now it is a bit divided over who to sopport, but in the wings it is organizing… And eventually a nominee will be selected.

Occupiers spend their time trying to envision how to crash conferences like CPAC. Tea Partiers spend their time trying to envision how they are going to crash the next election.

KevinB on February 8, 2012 at 4:08 AM

Also, I didn’t notice anyone mention the favorability ratings these guys are getting – Santorum tends to have a high rating there relative to the others.

It is entirely possible that everyone is just getting sick of the other candidates, and heading towards Santorum as the last guy standing who doesn’t have sh*t all over his lapels.

KevinB on February 8, 2012 at 4:14 AM

So let’s see. We take a guy who lost his last election by 18% and over 600,000 votes and nominate him. Yea, that will work.

kurtd on February 8, 2012 at 4:23 AM

Oh sorry, he lost by 700,000 votes. The most by a incumbent Republican Senator EVAH!

kurtd on February 8, 2012 at 4:26 AM

But who else do we have?

Romney is a slimeball.

Newt as you say, is “unelectable”.

Paul is a nut.

When you have a bunch of rotten apples…you pick the least rotten one.

tkyang99 on February 8, 2012 at 4:52 AM

As a Newt supporter i congratulate Santorum on his sweep of all 3 states.I could support Santorum if he becomes the nominee.But if super Tue. ends up with a 3 way split on wins this thing is going to a floor fight at the convention were the nominee could be none of the present candidates. Conservatism was the big winner and the establishment inside the beltway republicans were the big losers last night and for that reason i sure feel a lot better this morning.

logman1 on February 8, 2012 at 5:06 AM

Romneys CPAC ads will be about how Rick, Tebow’d to win Colorado, and that he’s a flip flopper for being a traitor to the Eagles and Steelers. Having secret security will be as close to being President that “ITSMYTURN” will have.

This is a potato sack race. Romney/Paul vs Rick/Newt. I dont know if this has been used or not. (soprannos) Pauly Walnuts has never been a more fitting name for Ron Paul folk.

Gedge on February 8, 2012 at 5:19 AM

Race Mormon card? Check
Angry paranoia mirroring liberal bete noire? Check

Nom de Boom on February 8, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Classic rejoinder. Spot on.

DevilsPrinciple on February 8, 2012 at 5:19 AM

Nom de Boom on February 8, 2012 at 3:10 AM

And the lefties thought the tea party was dead….Bwahahahahahahahaha

DevilsPrinciple on February 8, 2012 at 5:26 AM

Only way Romney can win is if he drops another 45 mil taking out Rick n Newt. And dont forget the Golden rule you mention Mittillions, thats class warfare and code words of biggotry.

Gedge on February 8, 2012 at 5:38 AM

Good job Santo. Congrats to his supporters.

MJBrutus on February 8, 2012 at 5:41 AM

I’m voting for Santorum over Romney on matters of conscience, though a Santorum nomination makes me nervous. How many independents and “moderates” will vote for him over Obama? How many will simply stay home if those are their only two options…and would that hand the victory to Obama? *gag*

Grace_is_sufficient on February 8, 2012 at 5:51 AM

Santorum got nothing from Missouri. Santorum got 14 delegates for Colorado while Romney lost it and got 13 delegates.

CoolChange80 on February 8, 2012 at 5:52 AM

Coolchange. the first of the spincontroll

Gedge on February 8, 2012 at 5:56 AM

I forget Cooolchange80. You won NH, (Romney Town). You Won Florida (15 mill of negative ads) You won Nevada (Utah Junior) Romney cant inspire anyone. Romney will win all the NE states.

I wonder who will win Utah. I think its still up in the air. Unless a certain religion decides to go all religion instead of whats better for America. Wonder who that could be.

Gedge on February 8, 2012 at 6:10 AM

The headline is Santo won.

The sub-header is that Newt is sent out to pasture.

MJBrutus on February 8, 2012 at 6:24 AM

Grace_is_sufficient on February 8, 2012 at 5:51 AM

Count me as a lifelong (since going door to door with my mother for Ike in 1956) Republican who will not vote for Santorum under any circumstances. A Santorum nomination should make you very nervous because it will look like the Goldwater race without carrying Arizona.

This election needs to be about liberty and the economy – the Constitution and American principles – not about the kind of social conservatism (meaning not personal behavior, but using the law to enforce religious norms) that would have made the Founders blanch.

CatoRenasci on February 8, 2012 at 6:26 AM

I can support Santorum, but I prefer Newt. No Mitt… I can’t hold my nose this time.

tinkerthinker on February 8, 2012 at 6:27 AM

I think that whatever one’s leanings, one fact stands out as incontrovertible. Santo clearly won because of Ed Morrissey’s endorsement!

MJBrutus on February 8, 2012 at 6:30 AM

These three primaries were a joke. Turnout was was almost nonexistent. No delegates were awarded. They were pretty meaningless in terms of who the GOP nominates.

NuclearPhysicist on February 8, 2012 at 6:42 AM

The drama continues. Who will be the man to claim the title of “Anybody But Obama?” Stay tuned.

Pcoop on February 8, 2012 at 6:59 AM

Pcoop on February 8, 2012 at 6:59 AM

There was never a doubt, since July or so that Romney will be the next POTUS. So enjoy the show, even if you know how it turns out :-)

MJBrutus on February 8, 2012 at 7:01 AM

So I didn’t watch the events last night, but I’m going to go out on a limb here and guess that Mitt called to congratulate Santo on his win. Just sayin’.

MJBrutus on February 8, 2012 at 7:04 AM

Hope is fresh today!!!!!

I will enjoy it while I can.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh

PappyD61 on February 8, 2012 at 7:07 AM

KevinB on February 8, 2012 at 4:08 AM

And without the poop.

disa on February 8, 2012 at 7:10 AM

MJBrutus on February 8, 2012 at 7:04 AM

He did. And he also said he will be behind whoever the nominee is. I’m sure he believes it will be himself.

steel guy on February 8, 2012 at 7:12 AM

National Review already has a post theorizing that Santorum got votes because Catholics are mad at Obama.

flyfisher on February 8, 2012 at 1:15 AM

I’ve been mad at Obama since 2008!!!!!!!!

ProudPalinFan on February 8, 2012 at 7:28 AM

flyfisher on February 8, 2012 at 1:15 AM

That theory could explain the sudden surge for Santorum in the last couple days.

ghostwriter on February 8, 2012 at 7:30 AM

Thank you. :)

I don’t know which is better – Santorum doing so good or the Mittbots going through self-inflicted wounds? Brutus, Bradky and abdicate!

And we can call it. Why? Because it’s MY BIRTHDAY!!!

Midwestprincesse on February 8, 2012 at 12:35 AM

And I can call it. Why? Because it was MY SISTER’S BIRTHDAY!!!!

ProudPalinFan on February 8, 2012 at 7:34 AM

there may be other reasons. My take.

kingsjester on February 8, 2012 at 7:37 AM

Another smashing victory for President Obama!

If nominated, Santorum has no chance of being elected, but he has prolonged the Rollerderby match. Mitt is being diminished with each contest and Gingrich continues to thrash like a wounded shark.

And the Obama team hasn’t even cranked up volume yet.

Four more years sounds good to me!

chumpThreads on February 8, 2012 at 7:41 AM

Santorumania….that’s good Allah!

ted c on February 8, 2012 at 7:46 AM

Rick Santorum sweeps three states. Looks like I’m going to have to get my head on straight for the next four Obama years . . . I’m looking forward to losing my insurance and paying even more taxes. I can’t wait for the internet to be taxed and to get my internet ID. I can’t wait for the police to knock on my door, looking for my guns and the incandescent light bulbs I’ve been hoarding. I’m going to bake them a cake to take with them. It’s going to be great. I just hope they allow me to keep my job and not give it to some historically underrepresented minority, but if they don’t, that’s okay too. I just want to give my fair share.

jan3 on February 8, 2012 at 7:46 AM

great post kj

ted c on February 8, 2012 at 7:47 AM

there may be other reasons. My take.

kingsjester on February 8, 2012 at 7:37 AM

Pal, I will continue to say it until you are banned…participate in the discussion, or don’t post.
We have no inclination to allow you to promote your blog…I am sure you think it is just dandy, but self promotion of a product is irritating.

right2bright on February 8, 2012 at 7:48 AM

How’s everyone holding up?

Cindy Munford on February 8, 2012 at 7:50 AM

jan3 on February 8, 2012 at 7:46 AM

You are being way to pessimistic, I don’t think Mitt will win the nomination, so all of your fears are for naught.
I understand tho, Mitt could still win it, but I think the tide has changed…have no fear.

right2bright on February 8, 2012 at 7:51 AM

right2bright on February 8, 2012 at 7:48 AM

And I don’t mind at all. Don’t click, see how easy!!!

Cindy Munford on February 8, 2012 at 7:51 AM

oh yea, Ed’s endorsement of Rick S must’ve put him over the top in MN….even without Ed’s vote.

ted c on February 8, 2012 at 7:52 AM

And the Obama team hasn’t even cranked up volume yet.

Four more years sounds good to me!

chumpThreads on February 8, 2012 at 7:41 AM

Funny, looks I see more thinking that Mitt would be the loser…

right2bright on February 8, 2012 at 7:52 AM

And I don’t mind at all. Don’t click, see how easy!!!

Cindy Munford on February 8, 2012 at 7:51 AM

That’s great for you, I don’t won’t people using HA for self promotion…this is more like what you may like. I don’t…

right2bright on February 8, 2012 at 7:55 AM

Nom de Boom on February 8, 2012 at 3:10 AM

What does this have to do with the Tea Party? Nothing. Romney, Newt, and Santorum are all establishment candidates and the GOP voters are content on voting for status quo establishment. Here you are accusing some of stabbing you in the back while you readily gush that you’ll vite for whomever the nominee is.

Party over principle IS establishment.

Dante on February 8, 2012 at 7:56 AM

It is a long game. And caucus voting is like having the vote taken here in HA.

galtani on February 8, 2012 at 7:56 AM

right2bright on February 8, 2012 at 7:48 AM

Pal, I have been participating in discussions around here since 2008, extremely vociferously. Rather than Troll the finest Conservative site on the internet, as so many are doing now, I merely stage my thoughts and rants at a separate location. I don’t stay on here all day, as some, because I actually have to go to work. I’m sorry that the fact I share my opinions offends you, but, having written 678 blogs, which are being shared on several websites, I have no intention of stopping. If you don’t want to read my opinion, don’t click on it.
I won’t be offended at all.

kingsjester on February 8, 2012 at 7:58 AM

This race has finally hit the part of the country where people think for themselves. It was great watching Romney get hammered by Santorum last night, I absolutely loved it. It was equally satisfying to see Paul spank Gingrich in Minn. It’s now just a matter of time, before Newt runs out of money and has to drop out of the race. Oh, that’s right, he’s staying in until the convention. He did say that didn’t he? Heh…heh, heh.

Norky on February 8, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Go Team Santorum 2012!!! I think it’s time for Newt to step down and get out of Rick Santorums way.

multiuseless on February 8, 2012 at 7:58 AM

right2bright on February 8, 2012 at 7:55 AM

And I didn’t click on your offering either. I found a gifted photographer by clicking on once of our commenters’ name, it’s all about choices. I am sure our hosts appreciate your help and can contact kingsjester if they want.

Cindy Munford on February 8, 2012 at 8:04 AM

“Money can’t buy me love!”

Donald Trump,

you’re fired!

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU, Minnesota, Missouri, and Colorado. I couldn’t help quoting old Sir Paul and I can’t wait to hear the Donald whine and bluster about this one. We are a capitalist country, but there are many misuses of capitalism. This election should not be one that’s only bought and paid for by the richest, but should be full of ideas and conservative ones. Rick Santorum showed us how a true statesman does it and gives us a lot of hope now. I’m behind him 100%!

Although, I will admit it was also wonderful to see how sick Karl Rove and Ari Fleischer looked last night. And I’m sure if Brit Hume had been on Fox News he’d have been crying that Romney did so badly. As Rick said, Game On! as it should be.

mozalf on February 8, 2012 at 8:05 AM

I hope this allows for a longer look at Santorum, with extened media coverage. He was always very interesting and knowledgeable when hosting Bill Bennett’s radio show.

Cindy Munford on February 8, 2012 at 8:11 AM

right2bright on February 8, 2012 at 7:48 AM

Ummm, Ed Morrissey constantly encourages us to promote our blogs, he says “we’re all about shameless promoting” so he wants our blogs out there. Your call whether to read what he writes or what I write.

ProudPalinFan on February 8, 2012 at 8:12 AM

kingsjester on February 8, 2012 at 7:58 AM

I won’t click, I don’t click on people who only post to try to get someone to read their “blog”…I prefer people who come on here and actually talk about the issues, and not about “but, having written 678 blogs, which are being shared on several websites”.
I appreciate some of the real professional bloggers who post here, but don’t promote themselves, they seem to do just fine without piggy backing on HA’s popularity.

right2bright on February 8, 2012 at 8:14 AM

I hope this allows for a longer look at Santorum, with extened media coverage. *snip*

Cindy Munford on February 8, 2012 at 8:11 AM

I suspect the Democrats agree with you.

chumpThreads on February 8, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Cindy Munford on February 8, 2012 at 8:11 AM

If the media can’t kill him on his record, they’ll try to make him out to be a doofus. Rick is somewhat of a goober, but I like that.

Norky on February 8, 2012 at 8:16 AM

I suspect the Democrats agree with you.

chumpThreads on February 8, 2012 at 8:16 AM

The world would be a better place if Democrats would agree with me on much more than this.

Cindy Munford on February 8, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Norky on February 8, 2012 at 8:16 AM

It is really interesting. I bet the Romney campaign has some very important decisions to make about how to respond to this. And for those who think I am talking about the congratulatory call, get real.

Cindy Munford on February 8, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Last night, during CNN’s coverage, they were saying how they were sure that the Dems were absolutely ecstatic over Santorum’s wins. BHO and the rest of the Dems are anything but happy about this. They’re prepared for Romney, not Santorum.

Norky on February 8, 2012 at 8:25 AM

it was interesting ….. good show Rick ….
redstate had a good article on it …. I would link it ..
but don’t wanna get into trouble ….
I am too new here to get a bad rap …
but it talked about how cpac won last night …..
How conservatives won … how high turnout usually means
mittens loses ….

conservative tarheel on February 8, 2012 at 8:28 AM

ProudPalinFan on February 8, 2012 at 8:12 AM

You missed the point…he isn’t participating he is just…nevermind…you won’t get it.

right2bright on February 8, 2012 at 8:31 AM

1984 in real life on February 8, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Race Mormon card? Check
Angry paranoia mirroring liberal bete noire? Check

Nom de Boom on February 8, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Excellent response, Nom de Boom.

I’m the farthest thing you’ll find from a Socon, but I donated to Santorum this morning. Tea Party and conservatives in general are coalescing around the candidate who seems most likely to repeal Obamacare. Mitt supporters who don’t get this are still in the dark.

Burke on February 8, 2012 at 8:32 AM

@jamiedupree: Santorum beat Romney by 30 points in Missouri and 30 points in Minnesota

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 8, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Heh I’d replied with, “Imagine if he beat Romney by 31.6 points in Missouri and 31.6 in Minnesota.”

ProudPalinFan on February 8, 2012 at 8:33 AM

OrdinaryColoradan on February 8, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Reports of the Tea Party demise have been greatly exaggerated.

Great summary … congratulations on moving from demonstration to action. I hope to see this scenario played out over and over across the country.

Lost in Jersey on February 8, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Rick has the big MO, and this “anyone but Mitt” doesn’t hurt.
Mitt is a liberal, much too liberal for most who actually will read his record, or admit to his record.
Is Rick perfect? Haven’t found the perfect politician yet, but he is world’s above Mitt as far as carrying the conservative message.
And yes, he can win…without the huge finances of Mitt, he still beats him.

right2bright on February 8, 2012 at 8:34 AM

conservative tarheel on February 8, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Which article did you like, Mr. Erikson or Mr. Wolf? I don’t think the hosts would have a problem with the link.

Cindy Munford on February 8, 2012 at 8:34 AM

I will say that Ed Morrissey’s endorsement went a long way, but I’ll also say that having the beautiful and incredibly smart, Michelle Malkin living in Colorado was the clincher there. I’d take Mark Levin and Michelle Malkin’s endorsements over Donald Trump’s, Ann Coulter’s, (Al D’Amato is on Fox & Friends whining about how Romney is still the inevitable nominee), Meghan and John McCain’s – you can judge a person’s character by the character of the friends he keeps. Santorum is a very nice contrast to Obama.

mozalf on February 8, 2012 at 8:34 AM

tinkerthinker on February 8, 2012 at 6:27 AM

The stakes of things like supreme court picks demand you do.

blatantblue on February 8, 2012 at 8:35 AM

right2bright on February 8, 2012 at 8:31 AM

I get it! I got a blog too and have been told the same crap.

ProudPalinFan on February 8, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Each of the non-Romneys has had his moment in the sun, and each has imploded. Now it’s Santorum’s turn.

I await the inevitable implosion with interest. Perhaps it will come when voters realize that Santorum wishes to run the US as Calvin ran Geneva.

Bartrams Garden on February 8, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Cindy Munford on February 8, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Norky on February 8, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Goober or not, Santorum is a better man than Mitt the Mandate Romney/Romneycare, the Democrat could EVER hope to be!

Go Rick Santorum, Go!

Pragmatic on February 8, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Mitt Romney said last night that his dad could stuff nails in his mouth and blow them out, nailgun style.

Second look at George Romney?

YYZ on February 8, 2012 at 8:38 AM

I get it! I got a blog too and have been told the same crap.

ProudPalinFan on February 8, 2012 at 8:36 AM

And I appreciate your interaction, I would click on your page any day…
Now back to the subject:
Rick taking Colorado is huge, Mitt was expected to cruise to victory there, but lost by 5 points…this is a turning point in the race.
Watch how quickly Mitt guns turn to Rick…and I think it will begin to expose the hypocrisy of Mitt’s campaign.
Obama’s first senate seat was won by eliminating the competition, not by ideas and leadership…Mitt knows his masters well.

right2bright on February 8, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Great analysis here at Legal Insurrection: Romney’s Carpet Bombing Coming Home to Roost

RepubChica on February 8, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Sarah Palin is the reason we have a long and contested primary.

CoolChange80 on February 8, 2012 at 3:08 AM

I agree. Palin is a big winner because she was smart enough not to endorse Newt directly but instead just called for a longer contested primary. Everything she called for is now happening. She’s more relevant than ever. Meanwhile MM and Ed are big winners because they presciently endorsed the very candidate who now appears to be the conservatives’ best chance for repealing Obamacare. The big losers are Coulter, Niki Haley, Fox and others who leaped to support Mitt and have now alienated the base.

Burke on February 8, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Dream on. They will be hands off on Santorum until he gets the nomination (if he does) while hammering Romney, the one they fear, to help knock him out of the race. It will be Obama and the True Conservatives™ working together to destroy the only candidate that could defeat him. Then, if and when Santorum wins, we will see a campaign that will paint Rick as a homophobic misogynist wierdo,a defender of earmarks (which he was) and a big union suppporter who voted against right-to-work (which he did) and the fact that he has NO executive experience (which he doesn’t). He will be mocked relentlessly for his slightly hysterical, high pitched voice, the fact that in his last election (how long ago was that?) he was blown out by close to 20 points in a major swing state, and there will be all kinds of hideous rumormongering about his wife’s past and about the way that he and his wife handled their sons death (remember Colmes’s “they brought him home for the other children to play with”?). Is this stuff fair? Nah? Will it work?

Hell yeah.

We will be lucky if Santorum carries his own state.

Priscilla on February 8, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Santorum/Palin 2012!

greataunty on February 8, 2012 at 8:42 AM

RepubChica on February 8, 2012 at 8:39 AM

They must be reading my “blog”…
Exactly, Mitt will be exposed if he tries the same tactic on Rick, and Mitt can’t run on his record…he might have to actually come up with some ideas, wouldn’t that be a surprise, Mitt actually trying to lead with ideas.

right2bright on February 8, 2012 at 8:43 AM

YYZ on February 8, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Breathing is helpful.

Cindy Munford on February 8, 2012 at 8:43 AM

How will Santorum hold up under the same type of attacks that Newt has had to suffer from the Romney slime machine?

If Newt couldn’t win, then this outcome is the second best senario for him. This race is a long way from over and nobody is dropping out.

Kaffa on February 8, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Hell yeah.

We will be lucky if Santorum carries his own state.

Priscilla on February 8, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Still better than Mitt…do you think Mitt could carry Mass?

right2bright on February 8, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Mitt actually trying to lead with ideas.

right2bright on February 8, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Now you’ve done it, his supporters will now inundate us with all of his “ideas”. I agree with you on his reaction to Santorum’s win, it will be very very interesting.

Cindy Munford on February 8, 2012 at 8:46 AM

RepubChica on February 8, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Careful with the links, right2bright might get upset.

Garym on February 8, 2012 at 8:52 AM

The headline is Santo won.

The sub-header is that Newt is sent out to pasture.

MJBrutus on February 8, 2012 at 6:24 AM

No, Newt is still out there, and I for one am glad. For one, he’ll absorb some of the flak that otherwise would be directed solely at Santorum. For another, Newt’s ads and speeches can continue to undermine Mitt’s legitimacy, and that, of course, is all to the good. Furthermore, Tea Partiers have realized that Santorum is the horse to back now in order to stop Romney, so Newt won’t bleed off all that much support in any case. Finally, if we have a brokered convention, all the “not-Mitt” votes will be in the same column and will force RINOs to make serious compromises if they want the nomination.

By the way, Brutus, I notice that you’ve stopped repeating a call to “Annoy Palin: Vote for the RINO.” Cat got your tongue?

Burke on February 8, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Still better than Mitt…do you think Mitt could carry Mass?

right2bright on February 8, 2012 at 8:45 AM

A cute, but ineffective response. The GOP never carries Mass, but Penn. is a swing state that would be in play for Romney. As would Florida, Nevada, and probably Ohio. States that will never vote Santorum. You True Conservatives™ have some sort of electoral death wish.

Priscilla on February 8, 2012 at 8:55 AM

kurtd on February 8, 2012 at 4:23 AM

You’re talking about Romney, right, who was so awkward, stiff and phony when he ran in 2008 that he couldn’t get support even when he ran against Maverick McLame?

Burke on February 8, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Now that Santorum is the front runner, he should get secret service protection. Those glitter bombs can be dangerous.

Norky on February 8, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Careful with the links, right2bright might get upset.

Garym on February 8, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Heh. We all have our peccadilloes. KJ’s a gem if you ask me. One of the very best spirits around.

RepubChica on February 8, 2012 at 9:04 AM

dont know why it didnt show up the first time ….

conservative tarheel on February 8, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Only way Romney can win is if he drops another 45 mil taking out Rick n Newt.

Gedge on February 8, 2012 at 5:38 AM

Don’t bet on it. Meg Whitman dropped a hundred mill on her race here in California and didn’t even come close. Once the base decided they didn’t like her (I was among those), she was dead in the water (figuratively). For some inexplicable reason RINOs, moderates and squishes never came to her rescue as we were told they would.

Burke on February 8, 2012 at 9:11 AM