Open thread: Colorado, Minnesota, Missouri; Update: Santorum wins Missouri; Update: Santorum wins Minnesota

posted at 7:45 pm on February 7, 2012 by Allahpundit

The polls in Missouri’s “beauty contest” primary close at 8 p.m. ET, right as the Minnesota caucuses get going. Colorado’s caucuses will start an hour later. Here’s your thread to follow the returns as they roll in. No delegates at stake tonight, but this is probably Santorum’s last chance to breeze past Newt as the race’s designated Not Romney. Read Ed’s post on the latest PPP numbers if you missed it this morning: He’s up by 13 points in Missouri (where Gingrich isn’t on the ballot) and by nine in Minnesota. If he wins both easily, then he gets a bunch of positive media coverage this week and maybe a few more big-name conservative endorsements, which in turn could mean enough movement in the polls to put him on at least an equal footing with Gingrich. Once that happens, the pressure will shift to Newt to explain why he should stay in and divide the conservative vote on the strength of having won one state while Santorum should drop out after having won three. Is that enough to get Gingrich to quit? Why … no, but it’ll make an increasingly dull primary interesting again until Super Tuesday.

In the interest of equal time, Nate Silver is bullish on what this all means for Santorum:

The results, nevertheless, will provide an important test of how robust Mitt Romney’s coalition is on less favorable terrain than in states like New Hampshire or Nevada. And they could potentially revitalize the campaign of one of Mr. Romney’s opponents, Rick Santorum.

Nor should one go too far in dismissing the results. The process that Minnesota and Colorado use, holding separate votes for presidential preference and delegate selection at their caucuses, is essentially the same one that was used in Iowa. Missouri is a more debatable case, but as the first primary of any kind held in the Midwest — perhaps Mr. Romney’s weakest region — it may tell us something about how states like Michigan and Ohio are likely to vote when they hold key primaries on Feb. 28 and March 6, respectively.

Here’s the handy dandy Google Elections page for results. To toggle between Colorado, Missouri, and Minnesota, just use the “Showing results for” menu on the upper right. While we wait, two dumb clips to entertain you — one of Obama learning how a marshmallow cannon works and the other of Newt finally lapsing into tongues from his rage at Romney. Stay tuned for updates.

video platform
video management
video solutions
video player

Update: At 9:45 ET, multiple networks are calling Missouri for Santorum. He’s up by almost 30 points with 40 percent reporting as I write this. Still early in Missouri and Colorado, though.

Update: At 10:20 ET, NBC calls Minnesota for Santorum too. And no wonder: As I write this, he’s leading there by 17 points over … Ron Paul. (Gingrich is dead last, incidentally.) Can he sweep by winning Colorado too? Romney won big there in 2008, but with nearly eight percent of precincts reporting, Santorum’s out to an almost 30-point lead. Stand by for possible declaration of Santorumania.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 12 13 14 15 16

Steveangell on February 8, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Co. doesn’t have a huge Mormon pop. Adams county went for Mitt. That’s has a big Mormon pop. That’s about it though.

katy on February 8, 2012 at 1:46 AM

I thought that Mitt was supposed to do well in caucus states because he was the best financed and organized candidate?

Ouch, that’s gotta hurt when you get bested by a guy who’s running on his lunch money.

JonBGood on February 8, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Colorado too. WOW!

This is some year.

Anything is possible this year, guys.

After Florida I was feeling so disgusted that I was going to have to endure months of Obama and Romney or Newt. That I was going to have to put Romney or Newt’s bumper sticker on my car and try and talk them up to people with no enthusiasm myself. Actually being embarrassed to have one of those bumper stickers on my car.

I was thinking of all the candidates I liked who dropped out. Palin, Bachmann, Cain and Perry (who I had such high hopes for.) And it looked like Santorum was over.

Now the candidate I liked the most, who was last on my list of conservatives because I though he had zero chance of winning this thing, actually has a shot at this.

I might actually be enthused for this election instead of being afraid and disgusted.

God bless Santorum.

Elisa on February 8, 2012 at 1:47 AM

BWAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA!

Oh Mittens! You losing piece of s**t!

Dack Thrombosis on February 8, 2012 at 1:48 AM

No where the same amount of baggage with Santorum. There are a few items Mitt can attack on but doubt it will do much. Mitt spent like a drunken sailor in Mass so it will not that well for Mitt to attack Rick on earmarks. Attacking him because he is not rich will most likely backfire (his children’s education).

Steveangell on February 8, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Santorum has his fair share of gaffes and bad quotes out there, as well as a number of tough votes that he took in the Senate. We are about to learn about all of them.

ghostwriter on February 8, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Ultraconservative, big gov’t liberal Santorum wins. Go GOP.

aniptofar on February 7, 2012 at 10:05 PM

That’s pretty impressive. There aren’t many politicians who can be both ultraconservative and big government liberals at the same time….

There Goes The Neighborhood on February 8, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Typical Saul Alinsky.

Mitt has no facts.

Thus he falls back to his dad’s best friends (Saul Alinsky) ideas.

No joking Mitts father loved Saul Alinsky said he had the best idea he had ever heard on helping the poor in Michigan. They had a great friendship.

Steveangell on February 8, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Too bad Newt won’t get out now and then Santorum can sweep the South and possibly win in states where Romney would have won had Newt stayed in and split the conservative vote. Missouri is a good indicator that this could happen.

Decoski on February 8, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Someone posted earlier today that if Mittens lost two states it would be a disaster.

Mitt lost all three!

Goodbye, Romney!

Dack Thrombosis on February 8, 2012 at 1:51 AM

ghostwriter on February 8, 2012 at 1:49 AM

All Weak Tea.

Newt had real problems. He made many serious mistakes as Speaker. Then his Moon Colony. Do not see that in Rick.

Steveangell on February 8, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Now the establishment death star will focus all of it’s weapons on Santorum.

idesign on February 8, 2012 at 1:51 AM

JonBGood on February 8, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Caucuses are tailor-made for guys with shoestring budgets. And caucuses aren’t necessarily representative samples of the larger population. I’ll fell alot more comfortable about Santorum once he wins a couple of primaries. Until then, I remain skeptical.

ghostwriter on February 8, 2012 at 1:51 AM

2012 Republican Delegates (GOP Popular Vote)
(1,144 Needed To Win)
**********************
**********************

canopfor on February 8, 2012 at 1:52 AM

I’m still confused how a one-term, defeated senator who doesn’t interview well (at least not anytime that I heard him) and has a fairly unconservitave record is supposed to go anywhere in the general. Voters are going to rush to the polls for what? His social record, which he has been downplaying of late (I’m not just a SoCon! There’s more to me than that! I also think Obama’s dumb!).

Seriously, how does this guy go anywhere in November?

ChicagoJewishGuy on February 8, 2012 at 1:52 AM

ghostwriter on February 8, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Nowhere near comparison with what Mitt did as governor of MA.

INC on February 8, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Philip Klein tweets:

BREAKING: Ann Romney tells heckler, “My husband can’t f@*king throw the ball and catch it at the same time!”

CyberCipher on February 8, 2012 at 1:53 AM

All Weak Tea.

Steveangell on February 8, 2012 at 1:51 AM

We’ll see.

ghostwriter on February 8, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Doubt Newt will get out before the next debate. If he doesnt hit a homerun there then chances are he’ll get out.

Sultanofsham on February 8, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Seriously, how does this guy go anywhere in November?

ChicagoJewishGuy on February 8, 2012 at 1:52 AM

That’s the Big Question: How does Romney go anywhere in November without the base? ;-)

JonBGood on February 8, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Also someone brought up the Catholics as if they had few members in the USA they have 30% and generally vote Democrat or liberal Republican that does not work with Mitt as Mitt also screwed the Catholics in Mass.

This is the end for Mitt. Mitt screwed the Catholics after his miraculous conversion from Liberal Moderate to Conservative Republican just as he decided to run for Republican President in 2005.

Sorry to burst everyone’s bubble but Mitt has been outed as the Saul Alinsky lover he is.

Steveangell on February 8, 2012 at 1:55 AM

canopfor on February 8, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Thanks! We have a long way to go.

JonBGood on February 8, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Suck on it, Obamney! Your trust fund scratch and starched teleprompter sentences are poop up against heart and real conservatism. Watch the moneybombs pour in for Rick tomorrow. And Coulter, you can suck it, too. Oh, that’s right–you already do!

Western_Civ on February 8, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Up Next!
_________

2012 GOP Primary, Caucus Timeline and Dates: the Road to the Nomination
*************

February 28: Michigan Primary.
*****************************

February 28: Arizona Primary.
****************************

This is the third contest being held in violation of RNC rules. Only four states (Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina and Nevada) are allowed to hold contests before March 6. No consequences have been announced yet.
====================

canopfor on February 8, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Saul Alinsky lover

??

I learn the most interesting things on Hot Air.

ghostwriter on February 8, 2012 at 1:57 AM

All Weak Tea.

Steveangell on February 8, 2012 at 1:51 AM

We’ll see.

ghostwriter on February 8, 2012 at 1:53 AM

We will.

But I will be praying. I believe God has no love for Mitt. Does he love Rick. Time will tell. I do believe GOD will act in this election though.

Steveangell on February 8, 2012 at 1:58 AM

canopfor on February 8, 2012 at 1:52 AM
_______________________________________

Thanks! We have a long way to go.

JonBGood on February 8, 2012 at 1:56 AM

JonBGood:So true,about 40 or so to go,I think!:)

canopfor on February 8, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Not only will Newt not get out, he’ll probably still be telling Santorum to get out of his way so he can beat Romney.

Mark1971 on February 8, 2012 at 1:58 AM

ChicagoJewishGuy on February 8, 2012 at 1:52 AM

I bet that the Romney Super PAC will let us know soon.

JonBGood on February 8, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Sultanofsham on February 8, 2012 at 1:53 AM

He probably thinks that he has a puncher’s chance on SuperTuesday. If the polling doesn’t look good for him in the southern states, then I think he’ll drop out, but not before then.

ghostwriter on February 8, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Our AG here in Co. was interviewed today and the first thing out of his mouth was Romney is the best man for the nomination because he will pull in the unaffiliated votes.

Yes…that’s what he said. He gave it away. They could give a rats a$$ about the base. They are assuming we’ll all show up like good little terrified lemmings in Nov.

katy on February 8, 2012 at 2:00 AM

GOD will act in this election though.

Steveangell on February 8, 2012 at 1:58 AM

I’ll take that, and hope that I can live with what he wants…

ghostwriter on February 8, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Saul Alinsky lover

??

I learn the most interesting things on Hot Air.

ghostwriter on February 8, 2012 at 1:57 AM

I have the newspaper article of his Father praising Saul Alinsky.

Mitt has used Saul Alinsky tactics predominately in his campaign so assume he was with his father on his good friend Saul.

Steveangell on February 8, 2012 at 2:00 AM

So true,about 40 or so to go,I think!:)

canopfor on February 8, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Hopefully, Romney will be an afterthought when it is all said and done! ;-)

JonBGood on February 8, 2012 at 2:01 AM

CyberCipher on February 8, 2012 at 1:53 AM

CyberCipher:Lol,good to see ya,btw!:)

canopfor on February 8, 2012 at 2:04 AM

MJBRUTUS:

Mitt Romney will win all 50 states.

Gloat

Sorry, I can’t help it.

Tee hee!

Dack Thrombosis on February 8, 2012 at 2:04 AM

ChicagoJewishGuy on February 8, 2012 at 1:52 AM

I bet that the Romney Super PAC will let us know soon.

JonBGood on February 8, 2012 at 1:59 AM

He was a lawyer before becoming the Representative for suburban Pittsburgh in 1991 and Senator for Pennsylvania from 1995, before losing his seat in 2006 and returning to law.

So a two term Senator and two term Representative. In a very Democratic district running as a strong Conservative.

Steveangell on February 8, 2012 at 2:04 AM

I have the newspaper article of his Father praising Saul Alinsky.

Steveangell on February 8, 2012 at 2:00 AM

That’s thin gruel. Mitt’s old man being polite to the creep doesn’t make them pals, and it doesn’t make Mitt Romney an Alinskyite. And I’m pretty sure that Alinsky didn’t invent negative campaigning.

ghostwriter on February 8, 2012 at 2:04 AM

They are assuming we’ll all show up like good little terrified lemmings in Nov.

katy on February 8, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Yes, their campaign is based on it. But, how much of the base will show up in November?

I know many conservatives that have recently said that if Romney is the nominee then they’ll leave the top of the ticket blank. I’ve never heard so much antipathy to a potential nominee, in my life.

JonBGood on February 8, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Santorum Speech before he knew he won Co…

katy on February 8, 2012 at 2:06 AM

CyberCipher on February 8, 2012 at 1:53 AM

CyberCipher:Lol,good to see ya,btw!:)

canopfor on February 8, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Wow huge huge mistake. There goes the Mormon vote. Mormons hate people that use the F word.

Steveangell on February 8, 2012 at 2:07 AM

JonBGood on February 8, 2012 at 2:05 AM

What about McCain?

ghostwriter on February 8, 2012 at 2:07 AM

canopfor on February 8, 2012 at 1:58 AM
________________________________________

Hopefully, Romney will be an afterthought when it is all said and done! ;-)

JonBGood on February 8, 2012 at 2:01 AM

JonBGood:Lets hope,and it looks like,Coronation Postponed!:)

canopfor on February 8, 2012 at 2:07 AM

JonBGood on February 8, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Made me laugh! Good one.

MontanaMmmm on February 8, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Seriously, how does this guy go anywhere in November?

ChicagoJewishGuy on February 8, 2012 at 1:52 AM

JonBGood on February 8, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Just to clarify, I’m not a huge Romney fan. I prefer Newt (y’all realize that space exploration is a net economic gain, right?) but would take Romney over Santorum. What, pray tell, are Rick’s qualifications for getting the codes to our nukes? That he wore a white suit to the Senate once? What else?

ChicagoJewishGuy on February 8, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Interesting … David Limbaugh of MO, Ed Morrissey of MN and Michelle Malkin of CO all endorse Santorum and he takes the trifecta. So is it the candidate, the endorsements, the voters or all three? Yeah, I’ll take the combo plate.

stukinIL4now on February 8, 2012 at 1:15 AM

The Tea Party is dead… Long live David Limbaugh, Captain Ed Morrisey & Boss Emirate Michelle Making…

JonBGood on February 8, 2012 at 2:05 AM

That is because after McCain’s horrible campaign in 2008… Voting for another McCain is not an option… Sweet Meteor of Death is a better alternative…

Plan A- Vote for Santorum…
Plan B- Vote Sweet Meteor of Death…

Y314K on February 8, 2012 at 2:09 AM

JonBGood on February 8, 2012 at 2:05 AM

We’ve come to place in this country’s history, where the people have had enough. Enough of being ignored. Enough of being disrespected. Enough of being lied to and manipulated.

Nov 2010 wasn’t enough for them.

I pray the people continue to buck the system. It is a ginormous machine that we are up against.

katy on February 8, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Plan A- Vote for Santorum…
Plan B- Vote Sweet Meteor of Death…

Y314K on February 8, 2012 at 2:09 AM

lol!

ghostwriter on February 8, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Seriously, how does this guy go anywhere in November?

ChicagoJewishGuy on February 8, 2012 at 1:52 AM

He won’t, he’s just a SocialCon fantasy candidate. He won 0 delegates tonight and turnout was much lower than last year. They want to make this the “Anybody but Romney” election, but it should be the anybody but Obama election. I have no doubt that this is largely due to Christians perceptions of Mormonism as a crazy cult and Socon’s dreams of a “benevolent” Big Brother government watching over us, Bible in hand.

I feel like the GOP is committing political suicide if this guy somehow wins the nomination. He will be crushed by the Democrats dirty tricks in November especially when they start to latch on to his wacky social ideas. Sure, they can;t attack him for his love of earmarks, and pork spending (They’re Democrats lol) but they made 2008 about the Race card, and they will find a way to make 2012 about Gay Rights or some other BS social issue to get the liberal base fire up and that’s where Santorum is weak. They’re also better financed, and better cheaters than us.

This whole thing is just a mess. If I have to get drunk and hold my nose to vote for Santorum ion Nov. then I will but I think he’s going to lose, badly.

1984 in real life on February 8, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Another Glitter Bomb Victim!

Ron Paul glitter bombed 2/6/12
******************************

canopfor on February 8, 2012 at 2:12 AM

The Tea Party is dead… Long live David Limbaugh, Captain Ed Morrisey & Boss Emirate Michelle Malking… King Makers!!!!

Y314K on February 8, 2012 at 2:12 AM

The GOP called Col. for Santorum?

Dollayo on February 8, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Anybody but Mitt!!!!!

tkyang99 on February 8, 2012 at 2:13 AM

JonBGood on February 8, 2012 at 2:05 AM

What about McCain?

ghostwriter on February 8, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Yes fool me once shame on me fool me twice.

No Way.

I will never vote for a Liberal Moderate and heck McCain was only a Liberal Republican quite a bit to the right of Mitt.

But I will actually vote for Obama and encourage all I know to do the same if Romney wins to send a huge message. Mitt does not belong in the party to have him in it is insane.

Steveangell on February 8, 2012 at 2:14 AM

1984 in real life on February 8, 2012 at 2:12 AM

I’m afraid that you might be right about all of this. The socon stuff is least appealing thing to sell to the general public, at this stage of the game, and that’s Santorum’s strength. I really wish Daniels had run…

ghostwriter on February 8, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Resource Goodies!

2008 Republican Delegate Count
*******************************

canopfor on February 8, 2012 at 2:17 AM

No, he wasn’t. C’mon, now. McCain was smack dab in the middle.

ghostwriter on February 8, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Me too, or Jindal. Whoever wins in 2012, I hope this country can survive another 4 years until someone like Rand Paul, and Marco Rubio can run.

1984 in real life on February 8, 2012 at 2:19 AM

1984 in real life on February 8, 2012 at 2:19 AM

I’m afraid that it’ll be too late by then. Every day that Obama is in office, America gets further away from us.

ghostwriter on February 8, 2012 at 2:21 AM

I can careless that Romney is a Mormon… I just can’t get over a candidate that things that Mandates at any level are best for me… Nothing Santorum has ever done comes to the level of government base solutions that Romney implemented in MA… Santorum was also from a left State… But he hasn’t change much if at all thru out his political life…

Quote from earlier post:

Go Santorum 2012!!!!

U bet… With all the RINO’s left in the race… Got to go with the least RINO of them all…

Santorum – Social Conservative about 25% RINO but constant with his views… And would give Obama a great fight on ORomneyCare & Religious freedoms…

Gingrich – 50% RINO with to much baggage & ready to mimic liberal dogma if it helps him win…

Paul – Talks a great monetary game but has a blind spot the size of a 777 when it comes to keeping us safe at home…

Romney – I don’t want to offend RINO’s by calling Romney one… Romney core values shift by location & by goal… He is build on the same mold as Kerry… He will wait for the dust to settle before he will give u his opinion on something… Just ask the House in 2011′s debt ceiling debate… The only thing he will support & protect to the death is MANDATES….

Y314K on February 7, 2012 at 5:46 PM

If u think that makes me anti-Mormon… Then I must be racist too since I won’t vote for Obama either for the same reasons..

Y314K on February 8, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Steveangell on February 8, 2012 at 2:14 AM

See? Can’t trust Socialcons, they’re Democrats at heart.

1984 in real life on February 8, 2012 at 2:22 AM

What about McCain?

ghostwriter on February 8, 2012 at 2:07 AM

McCain was a war hero. The social cons were lukewarm on McCain, but fiscal conservatives tended to fall in line because of McCain’s opposition to earmarks. Palin energized the McCain campaign. It certainly made me excited about him! ;-0

Romney is disliked by the base.

I’ve raised money for and taken time off to work for every campaign. I will sit this election out if the nominee is Romney.

Movement conservatives, like me, believe that Romney is antithetical to conservative Republican philosophy.

P.S. – It isn’t the Moderates who do the hard work of campaigning. The hard work that has to be done to win an election is always done by the movement conservatives, fiscal conservatives and social conservatives (especially the pro-life people).

JonBGood on February 8, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Watch Rick Santorum’s Speech After Missouri Primary Win
Feb 7 2012
***********

Former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum addressed supporters Tuesday night in St. Charles, Mo., after winning the Show-Me State’s non-binding Republican primary, in an excerpt from his Tuesday night speech.
=====================

canopfor on February 8, 2012 at 2:24 AM

ChicagoJewishGuy on February 8, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Hi ChicagoJewishGuy! I’m a Newt supporter! Although, I will happily support Santorum over Romney.

JonBGood on February 8, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Santorum Speech before he knew he won Co…

katy on February 8, 2012 at 2:06 AM

katy:Excellent scoop(pardon the pun,haha),I too have been googling
for the latest!:)

canopfor on February 8, 2012 at 2:27 AM

JonBGood on February 8, 2012 at 2:22 AM

We’ve had one conservative in the WH since the New Deal. I would prefer a Reagan conservative, if I could get one. However, I would take an Eisenhower Republican over this Eurotrash wannabe socialist in the WH. I’m not willing to let the perfect be the enemy of the good, especially during such a truly critical election.

ghostwriter on February 8, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Yes fool me once shame on me fool me twice.

No Way.

Steveangell on February 8, 2012 at 2:14 AM

I can totally agree with what you are saying, but you still have to vote for whoever is the GOP nominee for one simple reason: SCOTUS.

Work as hard as you need to during those four years to get a real conservative in office or at least load up congress/senate, but don’t let Obama have another nominee for the high court.

The damage another one or two of Obama’s picks can cause will be immeasurable.

kim roy on February 8, 2012 at 2:29 AM

See? Can’t trust Socialcons, they’re Democrats at heart.

1984 in real life on February 8, 2012 at 2:22 AM

It’s disappointing to hear folks say things like that. I just hope that they don’t mean it, although I suspect that some do….

ghostwriter on February 8, 2012 at 2:29 AM

canopfor on February 8, 2012 at 2:04 AM
_______________________________________

Steveangell on February 8, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Steveangell:Thats pure F’kn Crazy Talk!
(sarc)

canopfor on February 8, 2012 at 2:30 AM

VOTE TOTALS:
ROMNEY 1,182,886
GINGRICH 838,102
SANTORUM 568,723
PAUL 335,951

Just look at this from Drudge…and we’re flirting with the idea of nominating Santorum?

I will remain EXTREMELY skeptical about him until/if he wins 1 binding Primary.

1984 in real life on February 8, 2012 at 2:30 AM

ghostwriter on February 8, 2012 at 2:28 AM

I would accept a “moderate” too – such as Chris Christie or Gingrich. But we probably aren’t going to get a moderate. We will have liberal A and liberal B running. The argument that Mitt Romney is a moderate is not backed up by facts or evidence. You can’t call someone a moderate if they’ve never implemented any conservative policy… but you can call them a liberal.

Doomberg on February 8, 2012 at 2:31 AM

1984 in real life on February 8, 2012 at 2:19 AM

I hope so too. Our republic needs some deep spending cuts and major restructuring of government that will be painful for many people in order to save itself from total bankruptcy. This can’t be accomplished with more Obama insanity or the ‘let’s dig with a smaller shovel’ Romney half measures.

Dollayo on February 8, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Doomberg on February 8, 2012 at 2:31 AM

I think that calling him a liberal is an overstatement. He is a right-of-center moderate from a very liberal state. And he has run as a right-of-center candidate, and he will be stuck with some of the positions that he has assumed: Repeal/replacement of Obamacare, entitlement reform, tax reform, rebuild the military, pare down the size of government, and balance the budget. If he does most of these things, he would be a perfectly fine president.

ghostwriter on February 8, 2012 at 2:36 AM

canopfor on February 8, 2012 at 2:27 AM

That was a great speech. I liked the line about not running against Romney…and that he’s running against Obama…

That was serious preemptive dig at Mittens!

katy on February 8, 2012 at 2:36 AM

ghostwriter on February 8, 2012 at 2:29 AM

I hope they don’t either. Santorum was my absolute last choice out of all the candidates to vote for, and I’ve said some nasty things about him(Although, no worse than what most people on this site say about Romney.) but I’ll still do it if it means kicking out the commie in the WH.

1984 in real life on February 8, 2012 at 2:36 AM

Y314K on February 8, 2012 at 2:21 AM

My reasons to not vote for Romney.
He campaigned for and achieved the entire liberal agenda to an extent even the liberal Democrats though impossible.

1) Free Abortion (yes free for all but the rich).
2) Government Controlled Mandated Health Care. Planed Parenthood got permanent seat.
3) Civil Unions Mitt actually got Gay Marriage none thought possible.
4) Increase the Government confiscation of the peoples money by double digits. I know he only derailed a tax cut. Most of this was drastically increased fees (just another weasel name for a tax).

5) He decided to run as a Republican for President in 2005 then claimed he was conservative while assuring Gay Marriage became law and all the liberals desires became law.

6) He is Conservative in Name Only. Not even one single conservative accomplishment yet Republicans are stupid enough to vote for him. I mean he the opposite of a Republican. But you do not believe your lying eyes. Wake up Romney = Obama.

Steveangell on February 8, 2012 at 2:37 AM

In case anyone missed this tasty red-meat!
__________________________________________

US President Barack Obama’s campaign returning more than $200,000 in funds tied to Mexican fugitive

Submitted 17 hours ago from http://www.chicagotribune.com
============================

canopfor on February 8, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Good to see Santorum took them all. Some immediate thoughts:

1. Expect a gigantic smear/hate campaign against Santorum starting tomorrow. We’ll hear a lot more about the dead Santorum baby to start with. I would expect some “scandal” to be ginned up to try to damage Santorum’s socon creds as well (perhaps Vicki Iseman mark 2).

2. Romney can only win in states where the conservative vote has been massively suppressed via negative advertising bltizes. I cannot see a path to victory for him in the general. Since virtually everyone dislikes him, what demographics will he target for suppression to defeat Obama? How will he keep up with the MSM and the giant Obama war chest?

3. If we needed any more confirmation, tonight has made it clear the base will vote for a limp dishrag over Mitt Romney. Should Romney win the nomination, it will be very easy for the Democrats to demolish Romney’s support base in short order – they just need to keep the conservative base demoralized enough to make them stay home, something which will be easy to do since the base loathes Romney.

4. The Republican Party establishment is unutterably stupid. We’ve heard nothing but how “dumb” the Tea Party was for O’Donnell. We’ve now clearly got the establishment version of O’Donnell being pushed on us.

Doomberg on February 8, 2012 at 2:39 AM

These days I find myself asking: am I really in the right party?

I’m an average middle class American. I don’t care about social issues. All I care about is my home not getting foreclosed and my IT job not getting shipped to India or China. I imagine there’s quite a few people like me out there.

If you were me, who would you vote for? Who would best serve my interests?

tkyang99 on February 8, 2012 at 2:40 AM

canopfor on February 8, 2012 at 2:27 AM
_________________________________________

That was serious preemptive dig at Mittens!

katy on February 8, 2012 at 2:36 AM

katy:I fully agree,its about time,for the Nominees to stop the
infighting,and focus on Hopey the Catostrophic Failure!:)

canopfor on February 8, 2012 at 2:41 AM

doesn’t matter. Rick never voted for Romneycare nor Obamacare.

unseen on February 7, 2012 at 11:47 PM

True, although he did support an individual mandate back in 1995.

EddieC on February 7, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Actually, he didn’t. One reporter said he did, but that appears to be incorrect. Video of his Senatorial debates for that election make it clear he was not for any individual mandate. You can find it on C-SPAN, if you don’t mind watching an hour of video.

There Goes The Neighborhood on February 8, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Santorum was my absolute last choice out of all the candidates to vote for

really? Above Ron Paul?

Dollayo on February 8, 2012 at 2:42 AM

I kinda doubt that. Romney is in a serious bind.

He already used up most of his goodwill with his negative attacks on Newt, the people accepted it back then since he had to prove his “toughness”. But now if he goes negative on Santy it’s only going to end up in backlash.

tkyang99 on February 8, 2012 at 2:42 AM

This shook up the GOP establishment in Colorado, make no mistake.

Its pretty simple: The state GOP apparatus, with former McCain people and all the Romney people, supported Romney. Large numbers of LDS voters here as a pool to draw on. Lots of money spent on direct mail, and he was basically the only one making robo-calls – some folks got 4 of them plus a live call! On top of that, Romney won Colorado in 2008. Romney had everything going his way in CO –
yet despite all those advantages, Romney still didn’t get more than 35%, and got beat by a guy on a shoestring budget. Why? Message, Obamacare, and state/local politics.

We don’t trust the so-called GOP elites here anymore. And we are now angry enough to get out and do something. The rest of us, the “grass roots” GOP members, especially the newly active Tea Party types, got trained in how to do caucuses and precinct elections, and showed up in larger numbers than the establishment expected. And Santorum was the beneficiary. At our precincts, Gingrich was seen as an untrustworthy beltway bandit, Romney as the ultimate sell-out establishment guy, and many of us were simply tired of both of those types of GOP “elites”. So we voted for the only other viable conservative choice we had: Santorum. He has flaws, but they are probably the most easily mendable.

But the big thing is that we put our people in as delegates to the county and state instead of the usual people who ahve been there for decades in some cases — we will be making changes to the bosses; we are out to kick in the door of the old boy network personified by the Owens clique, Dick Wadhams et al, who have been running the GOP in Colorado for nearly a decade, and who have blown every election cycle since 2004.

We aim to misbehave.

OrdinaryColoradan on February 8, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Too Close to Call……Mittens!
________________________________

Watch Mitt Romney’s Speech After the Colorado Caucuses
Feb 7 2012
**********

Former Massachusetts governor and GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney addressed a crowd of supporters Tuesday in Colorado after Republican contests in the Centennial State plus Minnesota and Missouri.
==========

canopfor on February 8, 2012 at 2:45 AM

If anyone would know a fellow liberal it would be Chris Matthews.
“Mitt is a liberal moderate Obama center liberal they are basically the same politically”.

The damage another one or two of Obama’s picks can cause will be immeasurable.

kim roy on February 8, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Doomberg on February 8, 2012 at 2:31 AM

ghostwriter on February 8, 2012 at 2:36 AM

Most of us understand Obama is a Marxist.

Thus so is Romney in reality. I know many think this crazy but I still fear Romney might just agree to be Obama’s VP about a month before the election or even a couple of weeks before.

Now that is far worse than Obama could possibly do to us. Mitts record is as Marxist as Obamas and nearly identical. This Catholic denyal of rights they both did. Proves to me they are two sides of the same coin.

Disbelieve me at your peril.

Steveangell on February 8, 2012 at 2:45 AM

As to how this happened, I doubt it is a coincidence that these 3 caucuses occurred the same day that 9th Circuit ruled as they did on gay marriage, and the “gay mariage archenemy” candidate got a boost. Couldn’t have hurt the Santorum turnout a bit, I think.

Between that and the kerfluffel between the administration and the Cathol;ic Church over the Obamacare provisions, I’d imagine more than a few socon-types out there decided to make their votes count.

KevinB on February 8, 2012 at 2:46 AM

tkyang99 on February 8, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Rick is not running on social issues alone. He’s ready to take it to Obama on all the things that you and the majority of Americans care about. Restoring liberty and the American opportunity back to the people. That includes, but is not exclusive to social issues.

Rick will fight. Mittens will compromise on the dream.

katy on February 8, 2012 at 2:47 AM

really? Above Ron Paul?

Dollayo on February 8, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Yes. I think he has about as much of a shot at winning the nomination as Santorum does (slim), but I love his Economic stances and I think a Romney Presidency would see a Paul cabinet position(They’re friends) where he could really slash some useless agencies and spending. I also love that Paul injects youth into the party, something the GOP desperately needs.

1984 in real life on February 8, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Watch Mitt Romney’s Speech After the Colorado Caucuses
Feb 7 2012
**********

canopfor on February 8, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Do I have to?…

katy on February 8, 2012 at 2:48 AM

It’s a good thing this board is more representative of a hospital for the criminally insane than the actual Republican primary electorate.

Adjoran on February 8, 2012 at 2:49 AM

canopfor on February 8, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Hope he got medical attention.

He definitely needs some pills for his depression.

We got first or second in Colorado. The votes are not in yet. But we will continue on.

Boy he does see the writing on the wall. I see no way he escapes this. His denying Catholics the right to control their own Schools insurance is devastating. The letters to the Catholics equally point the finger at Mitt he did the same thing.

I am willing to bet his internal polling is horrible.

Steveangell on February 8, 2012 at 2:51 AM

KevinB on February 8, 2012 at 2:46 AM

That’s an interesting observation, I didn’t think of that.

Dollayo on February 8, 2012 at 2:52 AM

Well if they keep trading who wins among these 3, we might get a brokered convention after all. That could be interesting.

karenhasfreedom on February 8, 2012 at 2:52 AM

Watch Mitt Romney’s Speech After the Colorado Caucuses
Feb 7 2012
**********

canopfor on February 8, 2012 at 2:45 AM
________________________________________

Do I have to?…

katy on February 8, 2012 at 2:48 AM

katy:NO,its for the MittBotts,haha!:)

canopfor on February 8, 2012 at 2:54 AM

In case anyone missed this tasty red-meat!
__________________________________________

Submitted 17 hours ago from http://www.chicagotribune.com
============================

canopfor on February 8, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Don’t worry… That money is going to Obama’s SuperPac….

Y314K on February 8, 2012 at 2:54 AM

==========

canopfor on February 8, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Thanks Canopfor! Yet another pedestrian Romney speech. ;-)

JonBGood on February 8, 2012 at 2:55 AM

1984 in real life on February 8, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Yes, I think you are right, but I have more respect for Ron Paul than most republicans seem to.

Dollayo on February 8, 2012 at 2:56 AM

Otay I’m out,the Spinning later should be a hoot!

GoodNight All————-:)

canopfor on February 8, 2012 at 2:56 AM

blockquote>We aim to misbehave.

OrdinaryColoradan on February 8, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Great to read u’r post… Seems Tea Partiers have gratuated to the next step… Now that is what I call some community party organizing… God Speed OC…

Y314K on February 8, 2012 at 2:57 AM