Video: “The Avengers” Super Bowl trailer

posted at 6:15 pm on February 6, 2012 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate, in case you’re one of the six or seven people in America who didn’t see it last night. Three obvious questions here. One: How can it be that this trailer is actually weaker than the one that came out in October? They had three extra months of post-production and editing to deliver their very best stuff for the Super Bowl spot. Two: Is there really no Marvel woman superhero cooler than Black Widow? Jonathan Last is tragically correct about that sad-trombone dramatic pan near the end. Three: I haven’t seen “Captain America” or “Thor” so correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t Downey’s “Iron Man” character dramatically more snarky and colorful than the rest of the characters here? My understanding is that the rest are all straightforward superheroes — serious, earnest, alpha, vanilla, — whereas Tony Stark is quite Downey-ish, i.e. quick-witted and a touch nebbishy. That’s a strange mix of personality types, sort of like sticking Bill Murray in the middle of a war movie. (A real war movie, not “Stripes.”) Am I right about that or does Captain America also have a wicked deadpan sense of humor that he uses to disarm Nazis before killing them?

Comments

Bah. More industrial CGI effects posing as movies.

Did you see The Dictator trailer? Now that rocked.

Masih ad-Dajjal on February 6, 2012 at 6:17 PM

I’m guessing you weren’t a big comic fan as a youngster.

Tim_CA on February 6, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Allah, I didn’t see Captain America either, but I believe before he slays Nazis, Captain America asks them to pull his finger.

radjah shelduck on February 6, 2012 at 6:20 PM

I’m unique! And so are the other five or six people, I guess.

rihar on February 6, 2012 at 6:21 PM

I actually asked, “Is that the Justice League movie?” to the groans of my kids explaining the two rival comic book companies to me… How’d I raise such nerds? lol

Fallon on February 6, 2012 at 6:23 PM

No, Captain America doesn’t really have a good sense of humor but he’s cute and he has a wicked shield.

Fallon on February 6, 2012 at 6:25 PM

O/t: has anyone else see the first six min of the Dark Knight Rises? I saw it before viewing Mission Impossible in IMAX and it was unreal. If the opening sequence is indicative of what the rest of the film is going to be like, it should easily spank anything else coming out this year with the possible exception of Prometheus.

Kataklysmic on February 6, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Meh. Didn’t see it, don’t care.

Get back to me when you post the trailer for “The Hunger Games”.

JPeterman on February 6, 2012 at 6:26 PM

==============================================

Here,er,Present!

canopfor on February 6, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Actually, what’s worse–a girl with a small gun, as Jonathan Last put it, or Hawkeye with his bow?

radjah shelduck on February 6, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Hmmm, I still have my Thor , Iron Man, Captain America comic books from the 60′s. I can never believe that the movies will do justice(no pun intended, or perhaps so) to them. All I would ever want is to keep the them of the books the same. But, no, the movies will always plug world order, environment and the hate of the US in them. I’ll pass.

MNDavenotPC on February 6, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Thor had a good sense of humor though, also cute, but no shield, just a hammer thing.

Fallon on February 6, 2012 at 6:28 PM

I’m not sure where you get nebbishy. I’ve never gotten that vibe off of Tony Stark, but maybe I’m just not paying attention.

Snark? Oh, absolutely. And that’s, I’m sure, almost all Downey. I’m willing to bet that the original screenplay for Iron Man has very little relationship to the final product. RD, Jr., had to have been riffing his way through most of the scenes, and forced rewrites ongoingly.

I’m definitely looking forward to the release of Avengers. If the writing exhibited in the previews carries into the movie itself, it’s going to be great.

nukemhill on February 6, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Get back to me when you post the trailer for “The Hunger Games”.

JPeterman on February 6, 2012 at 6:26 PM

JPeterman, you’re a female?

Fallon on February 6, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Stark approved.

Also, Psylocke would have been a healthy addition. For uh, yeah, equality reasons.

DanStark on February 6, 2012 at 6:31 PM

I really wish that Samuel L. Jackson wasn’t such an ignorant, intellectually lazy jerk. If he hadn’t accused me of being a racist, I’d be first in line to see this. Alas, I don’t do business with those who insult me. :(

CantCureStupid on February 6, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Get back to me when you post the trailer for “The Hunger Games”.

JPeterman on February 6, 2012 at 6:26 PM

I was disappointed they didn’t show the trailer for that during the Superbowl. IMDB seemed to indicate that one had been cut for it. If the movie is anywhere near as epic as the books, it should make a mint. The casting seems to be spot on.

Kataklysmic on February 6, 2012 at 6:31 PM

well Marvel does have better female heroes than Blackwidow it’s just they all happen to be X-men

bannor on February 6, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Is there really no Marvel woman superhero cooler than Black Widow?
==================================================================

Not sure about the Marvel superhero,but I’m thinking
Taarna,from,

Sammy Hagar – Heavy Metal (With Taarna in Stereo)
*************************************************

canopfor on February 6, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Nice…loved it, maybe cus i didn’t see the last one.

Chudi on February 6, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Is there really no Marvel woman superhero cooler than Black Widow?

I heard they were going to include “the Kagan”, a fearsome female who dispenses her own brand of politically correct justice with a nuclear tipped softball bat, but it didn’t make the final cut.

I would have found that cool. Guess we’re stuck with Black Widow.

MessesWithTexas on February 6, 2012 at 6:35 PM

RE: Black Widow

The problem is the Marvel Movie universe is science based. They even found a more or less scientific way to explain Thor. Most of the cooler Marvel Females are either Mutants that belong to other Studios, i.e. any of the X-Men characters belong to Fox, or their powers are magic based like Scarlet Witch(who was later deemed to be a mutant too).

Critic2029 on February 6, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Joss Whedon describes The Avengers as a group of people who shouldn’t even be in the same room together, much less on a team, due to their personality conflicts.

If that translates into the writing and acting, then we won’t have to worry about Stark being some weird odd man out.

CrankyTRex on February 6, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Looks good. This trailer doesn’t beat the Captain America trailer tho’. I do want to see the movie—oh and yes, Act of Valor too. I think that’ll be a hit.

ted c on February 6, 2012 at 6:38 PM

No AP that is not the way it worked out in the comics. Mostly because they never had a write who was talented enough to pull the movie character off. The movie Stark is what they always had in mind. That look like an army of either Kree or Skrull maybe?

DFCtomm on February 6, 2012 at 6:39 PM

=========

I seen Captain America,and yes,the seriousness and take-charge
attitude,with humour,in the film was great!!

canopfor on February 6, 2012 at 6:39 PM

canopfor–yes, Taarna, now THAT was a female superhero! In all the right proportions, IYKWIMAITYD.

ted c on February 6, 2012 at 6:39 PM

AP,

Most of your problems here are with the degree to which Marvel is sticking to canon. The characters here are selected because they are heavily associated with The Avengers series.

And yes, Iron Man is snarky, while Cap is earnest. However, the trailer clearly indicates that this is part of where the dramatic conflict comes in the movie. There’s going to be a fair amount here about disparate personalities uniting for a common cause.

…and if they play that card heavily enough, you’ll get a “Is The Avengers a CGI version of the Chrysler Super Bowl ad?” post out of it!

Karl on February 6, 2012 at 6:39 PM

I can’t help but feel that it is all made up just to earn money to promote SOPA.

Save Hollywood, gut the intertubes!

BL@KBIRD on February 6, 2012 at 6:40 PM

I think the movie is really putting forth one simple fact: Iron Man is the coolest, The Hulk is the strongest, and the rest are fodder.

And what is with the guy with the bow? How is he not just a Ted Nugent mortal, regular guy? Any powers he possesses we aren’t being shown?

Opposite Day on February 6, 2012 at 6:41 PM

uh oh…. we may need the Avengers sooner rather than /later/

ted c on February 6, 2012 at 6:41 PM

That look like an army of either Kree or Skrull maybe?

DFCtomm on February 6, 2012 at 6:39 PM

But loki is in it? Weird.

lorien1973 on February 6, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Are those Skrulls fighting for Loki? I dunno why, it’s what keeps popping into my head.

Anyway, this movie is gonna rock.

mythicknight on February 6, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Kataklysmic on February 6, 2012 at 6:25 PM

I saw the the six minute trailer for the Dark Knight Rises and its the best trailer I’ve ever seen. EVER. I think there are better surprises in store than what was shown in the trailer.

By the way…I still don’t get what Promethus is about. I’m told that its a prequel to Aliens. Is that right?

Conservative Samizdat on February 6, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Is there really no Marvel woman superhero cooler than Black Widow?

Of course there are. Marvel is also X-Men, and Spider-Man, etc.

But as to the Avengers, I’m honestly not sure. Apparently Wasp was the original woman on the team.

Esthier on February 6, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Avengers? John Steed? Mrs. Peel?

samharker on February 6, 2012 at 6:47 PM

But loki is in it? Weird.

lorien1973 on February 6, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Yeah not sure where they are going with this. I would say it’s a Kree-Skrull war but what is Loki doing there, and I doubt it’s going to be just the Skrull since the super Skrull is Fantastic 4 territory.

DFCtomm on February 6, 2012 at 6:47 PM

But loki is in it? Weird.

lorien1973 on February 6, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Loki was responsible for the formation of the Avengers in the first place as he was tricking the Hulk into smashing stuff. The various heroes showed up to deal with the Hulk and ultimately formed a team.

CrankyTRex on February 6, 2012 at 6:48 PM

I hate superhero movies. They are so freaking silly. And girls get flack for lacking romantic comedies!?!

Yeah romantic comedies usually have silly scenarios but is it any sillier than grown ups in costumes blow things in ridiculous ways?

terryannonline on February 6, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Kataklysmic on February 6, 2012 at 6:25 PM

I saw it twice and it was impressive. Like the precredits sequence from Licence To Kill on steroids. But Nolan better do something about Bane’s voice before it’s released to theaters.

As for The Avengers, first of all you need to see Thor and Captain America, Allah. Both are solid flicks and do help set up The Avengers(make sure to watch through the end credits, especially for Thor). Hell, Captain America was even pretty decent in 3D. Secondly regarding the personalities of the respective superheros, Thor was a lot like Stark early on in the movie, but he matures and mellows out by the end. Steve Rogers(aka Cap) is basically Superman with a shield instead of a cape. A patriot and overall good guy who wants to bring bad guys to justice.

Doughboy on February 6, 2012 at 6:49 PM

CrankyTRex on February 6, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Listen to Downey’s dialogue

Loki: We have an army
Stark: We have a hulk.

Doesn’t imply this is happening at all.

lorien1973 on February 6, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Captain America was actually a very good film, I liked it a lot. Thor was a distant second. Iron Man movies were meh. Didnt see the latest Hulk.

Dash on February 6, 2012 at 6:51 PM

terryannonline on February 6, 2012 at 6:48 PM

If the public will let them build their universes then eventually you’ll get to see some of the big crossover stories, and those are pretty good. The DC ones especially.

DFCtomm on February 6, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Now THIS is the guy that I really wanna see in a superhero movie. Here’s his trailer/

ted c on February 6, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Also:

That’s the jist of the film, the disparate personalities getting together as a unit.

From an interview with the director:

I’m really excited about your vision for The Avengers and how it’s really a broken family…or a family…

Broken is okay.

Is there any way you could expand on that just a tiny bit for us?

It just really just goes back to the very first incarnation of The Avengers. It goes to The Ultimates, it goes to everything about it. It makes no sense, it’s ridiculous. There’s a thunder god, there’s a green “ID” giant rage monster, there’s Captain America from the 40s, there’s Tony Stark who definitely doesn’t get along with anybody. Ultimately these people don’t belong together and the whole movie is about finding yourself from community. And finding that you not only belong together but you need each other, very much. Obviously this will be expressed through punching but it will be the heart of the film.

Dash on February 6, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Listen to Downey’s dialogue

Loki: We have an army
Stark: We have a hulk.

Doesn’t imply this is happening at all.

lorien1973 on February 6, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Yea, I know. I’m not familiar enough with the comic book history beyond what I said, but according to IMDB Loki is also at least inadvertently responsible for bringing the Kree-Skrull war to Earth in the first place. Presumably they are going to combine the two ideas for the movie.

CrankyTRex on February 6, 2012 at 6:55 PM

ted c on February 6, 2012 at 6:39 PM

ted c:Yup,WarriorEtte!:)

canopfor on February 6, 2012 at 6:55 PM

ted c on February 6, 2012 at 6:53 PM

ted c:Lol,good memory!:)

canopfor on February 6, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Opposite Day on February 6, 2012 at 6:41 PM

No, no powers. That’s Hawkeye and his only power is a massive inferiority complex.

DFCtomm on February 6, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Munch… Munch… Munch…

(graps extra large fistfull of sweet salty popcorn dripping with movie theater cocunut oil butter and places fist in large agape hole in face)

Munch… Munch… Munch…

Seven Percent Solution on February 6, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Allah…they have a Hulk. What more do you want?

Kensington on February 6, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Conservative Samizdat on February 6, 2012 at 6:45 PM

That’s the way it’s being billed so far. I’m really looking forward to it, too.

nukemhill on February 6, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Is there really no Marvel woman superhero cooler than Black Widow?

Call me sexist but two words that just don’t go together are “woman” and “superhero”.

CarolynM on February 6, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Munch… Munch… Munch…

Munch… Munch… Munch…

Seven Percent Solution on February 6, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Yeah. My teenage son and I are already blocking out the time for the midnight premiere. I love that I get to live out all of my comic book fantasies with a genetically related geek! :-)

nukemhill on February 6, 2012 at 7:18 PM

There are better females they could have run with than Black Widow. Though she is a pretty interesting character.

Personally, I would love to have seen the Wasp who has been on the team in the comics for a long time. But I don’t think they wanted to intro new characters into the movie universe.

And forget the Justice League. If you want a DC team movie, I vote Doom Patrol. Original version. Best potential CGI.

OBQuiet on February 6, 2012 at 7:23 PM

now if this had aquaman and the wonder twins….

cmsinaz on February 6, 2012 at 7:27 PM

I, for one, cannot wait ! I love these things, but I do have one complaint; Why did Scarlet Johansen`s hairstyle have to change, I loved that “mad hair” from Iron Man II !

SignPainterGuy on February 6, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Captain America was quite good, in the old-fashioned, patriotic, American sense. I thought it had some good humor too.

Thor was OK, but I didn’t enjoy the story or the characters as much as I did in Iron Man and Captain America.

Common Sense on February 6, 2012 at 7:54 PM

sucked.

thor sucked

captain america sucked beyond belief

Hulk was OK

Iron Man 1 was cool, Iron Man 2 kinda sucked.

That new superhero that is that hot actress chick is ridiculous.

This Avengers movie will suck beyond belief.

Chronicle was friggin awesome though.

Jailbreak on February 6, 2012 at 7:59 PM

sucked.

Jailbreak on February 6, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Jailbreak:You sure do have alot of suction on the go!
(sarc)

canopfor on February 6, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Stan Lee shamelessly promotes his geriatric self. Jack Kirby spins like a lathe & Wally Wood weeps.

BHO Jonestown on February 6, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Jailbreak on February 6, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Thor was okay…I give them mild props for a explanation of the origin.

Capt. America? Eh, I wasn’t expecting to be Shakespeare, but it did enhance the flavor of my pizza with the cheese factor :o)

Hulk: You better be talking about the Ed Norton version…lmao

Iron Man 1 vs 2? 1 was funny as hell; 2 at least had Mickey Rourke & War Machine to look forward to. If nothing else, casting Jackson as Fury I will give them a chance. But come on, you know you wanna see him do a “Snakes on a Plane” riff so bad….

Black Widow was an actual character and lets face it, its supposed to be geared to nerd/nerdetts, so there’s gotta be some T&A shots right?

I will wait for Avengers to come to Redbox/Netflix though, for no other reason, I enjoy the comfort of my home for certain movies.

OTOH, I will be in a IMAX theater watching The Dark Knight Rises…and be loving every frickin minute of it too!

BlaxPac on February 6, 2012 at 9:45 PM

My problem with this assembly of superheroes is that they’re spread out so widely along the spectrum of unrealistic: Iron Man has technology, not super powers. Captain America has both, but his powers (like the Hulk’s) are attributed to science. Then there’s Thor, a Norse god from another planet whose adopted brother is a green ice giant alien–like Green Lantern, that’s all just too far-fetched and too far-removed from our time and place for my taste.

Also, Captain America will seem a strange fit coming from the 40s.

Wow . . . how is it that I have time to comment so thoughtfully on such an unimportant topic?

jazz_piano on February 6, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Kataklysmic on February 6, 2012 at 6:31 PM

I was bummed too, but apparently it aired during the 16-hour long pre-game show.

Both trailers are online. As a fan of the books, I actually preferred the first trailer.

Re: Avengers, I was also dubious about how they were all going to fit together, but they sciencified Thor up pretty good. I’ll go see it.

salmonczar on February 6, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Didn’t “The Razors Edge” had Murray in WWI, driving an ambulance?

tomg51 on February 7, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Hawkeye’s power is superhuman accuracy with ranged weapons. He is also the most likeable character in my opinion. But yes he is the most regular guy of the team.

jones on February 7, 2012 at 8:29 AM