Video: Happy 101st birthday, Mr. President

posted at 12:40 pm on February 6, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Americans for Prosperity has a new one-minute advertisement reminding us that today is the 101st birthday of Ronald Reagan — and that we face a crucial question of vision in this nation.  One vision sees America as a place of dependence, of static class divisions, where economic mobility is a thing of the past.  The other sees America as a land of opportunity, where government’s role is only to ensure fair markets and fair access to them, and where success and economic mobility is available to anyone willing to work to achieve them.

Put another way, the question for 2012 is this: Will we have morning in America once again, or mourning for America?  That choice is ours.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

One oh one. Patch on my shoulder. Pick up your boots and follow me….

…airborne infantry.

Steven McGregor on February 6, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Happy Birthday Reagan.

Miss ya

Electrongod on February 6, 2012 at 12:44 PM

The contrast of the two men, and the media’s reaction to them both, is frightening.

Mord on February 6, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Forget about Reagan, concentrate on this current crop of loser and try to find one that can beat Obama.

rplat on February 6, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Sad we don’t have anyone running that could compare to Reagan. IMO, he was one of our best Presidents ever.
L

letget on February 6, 2012 at 12:45 PM

They don’t make them like they used to!

KOOLAID2 on February 6, 2012 at 12:46 PM

I was a kid. I don’t have any memories of that man. Now can we beat obama and quit messing around.

hanzblinx on February 6, 2012 at 12:47 PM

I was too young to vote for you either time-but I am honored to have come of age during your presidency.
The Mister cast his first vote in 1980-for you.
Thank you for making this country great, President Reagan!

annoyinglittletwerp on February 6, 2012 at 12:47 PM

I watched Iron Lady recently and I liked it. They do show her as senile which bugs me but when they show Thatcher at her prime or when her old brilliance broke through the fog, it brought tears to my eyes. She was clear and focused on what she believed was right or wrong.

Blake on February 6, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Steven McGregor on February 6, 2012 at 12:43 PM

lol

Eighty-Second … Patch on my shoulder(s),

Pick up your weapon and follow me,

I sure hate those RPGs!

Happy Birthday Mr. President!

hawkdriver on February 6, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Noted raiser of taxes, noted banner of guns, noted signer of amnesty. Once each.

HOWEVER

He pretty much nailed everything else.

Still one of our greatest Presidents.

There are no “true conservatives” – only flawed conservatives still capable of greatness. Reagan wasn’t perfect, but he was still great.

fiatboomer on February 6, 2012 at 12:51 PM

The mental patients of Grenada will think twice before messing with the US of A again.

KeninCT on February 6, 2012 at 12:51 PM

hawkdriver on February 6, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Thank YOU, Sir!
*blows platonic kiss*

annoyinglittletwerp on February 6, 2012 at 12:53 PM

President Reagan’s gift was his understanding that as president he did not run this country, he represented this country’s citizens. And he did that with humility and pride.

Ufdaubet on February 6, 2012 at 12:54 PM

I like Reagan a lot actually. He understood the importance of immigration(amnesty) and the need to raise taxes to get things done.

Happy birthday Mr President!

liberal4life on February 6, 2012 at 12:54 PM

KeninCT on February 6, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Those were mental patients shooting at us? And not from Cuba? I guess we screwed up letting the Cubans take them back. Because, you know, Cuba asked for them back. So Cuba wanted mental patients back? You’ve confused me.

Really. Just confine your BS to what you know.

hawkdriver on February 6, 2012 at 12:55 PM

God, I miss this man. He was a straight shooter and told it like it was. Really miss his humor and wisdom.

Mirimichi on February 6, 2012 at 12:56 PM

fiatboomer on February 6, 2012 at 12:51 PM

And a great CinC.

And thanks ALT.

hawkdriver on February 6, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Where are the men like this?

faraway on February 6, 2012 at 12:58 PM

A big thank-you to Steven McGregor and hawkdriver.

Mirimichi on February 6, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Crass vs. Class

None of the contenders can even spit on this man’s shoes.

Schadenfreude on February 6, 2012 at 12:59 PM

KeninCT on February 6, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I’m gonna tie you to a chair and force you to watch Heartbreak Ridge 50 times in a row. Then there will be a test. You may have to recite Mario Van Peebles lines word for word.

fiatboomer on February 6, 2012 at 1:00 PM

One vision sees America as a place of dependence, of static class divisions, where economic mobility is a thing of the past. The other sees America as a land of opportunity, where government’s role is only to ensure fair markets and fair access to them, and where success and economic mobility is available to anyone willing to work to achieve them.

The latter is a vision. The former is a nightmare.

SlaveDog on February 6, 2012 at 1:01 PM

I came up with Pres. Reagan in my 20s. The esxplosin of the space shuttle was on my Birthday. I have to say I Love Him!! My political life was formed by him

lisa fox on February 6, 2012 at 1:01 PM

There is no morning when you have a presidential contest between two big government leftists.

Reagan was the last American president. Ever.

BTW the liberal revisionist history about Reagan on this thread is hilarious.

Crusty on February 6, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Mirimichi on February 6, 2012 at 12:58 PM

YW.

What I want to know, if McGregor is still hanging around, is if he was a Brit serving with the Rakkasans.

hawkdriver on February 6, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Reagan had class and really was an inspiring speaker…no comparison.

GeorgieGirl9 on February 6, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Why on earth do I click on a Reagan video and hear Jugears ?

gh on February 6, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Very well done! I love the part, “this is not class warfare” and the footage that clearly shows what a liar and a fraud this Kenyan really is.

Key West Reader on February 6, 2012 at 1:07 PM

It’s 50/50 jugears all the way through. Stopped it halfway through.

gh on February 6, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Happy birthday, Mr. President. Miss ya.

jclittlep on February 6, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Why on earth do I click on a Reagan video and hear Jugears ?

gh on February 6, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Contrast. It’s really the only acceptable way to have to be subjected to President Obama.

hawkdriver on February 6, 2012 at 1:10 PM

hawkdriver on February 6, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Not to me.

I can’t imagine Reagan being very happy with it either.

gh on February 6, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Happy Birth Day president Reagan.

Greatest President of the modern era.

SparkPlug on February 6, 2012 at 1:17 PM

How come no one talks about the debt he ran up? One of the greats for Conservative rhetoric, but the drug war and debt problems are some rather big scars on his record.

Notorious GOP on February 6, 2012 at 1:18 PM

You were my first vote Mr. President…

… Happy Birthday!

Seven Percent Solution on February 6, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Notorious GOP on February 6, 2012 at 1:18 PM

To be fair, it was the Democrat Congress that ran up the massive debt. Reagan tried to be “bipartisan” and strike a deal that included spending cuts and tax cuts, but the Democrats never follow-through on the spending cuts.

Yes, Reagan did have a veto pen, and should’ve used it more, but I think Reagan gets unfairly blamed, because he didn’t govern like George W. Bush, whom had a Republican Congress and still pushed through No Child Left Behind, Medicare Part D, Campaign Finance Reform, massive amounts of subsidies, etc.

I agree that Reagan did a couple of wrong things as President, but there’s no doubt that Ronaldus Magnus was the greatest President in modern American history.

Aizen on February 6, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Real news on President Reagan: What Ronald Reagan Accomplished in his Hollywood Years: A New LA Times Article Tells us The Real Story

slickwillie2001 on February 6, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Thanks, Mirimichi!

I’m in London now, hawk. But I’m a Florida native! Will be having a pint tonight in honour of Ronaldus Magnus. A leader, a dedicated leader.

Steven McGregor on February 6, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Two of the 3 people I’ve trusted most in my life both would have turned 101 today, the former President and my mom.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

My battle cry for 2012!

Flora Duh on February 6, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Really, Ed? 20 billion pictures of Reagan, and you pick one of the blurriest?

MadisonConservative on February 6, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Notorious GOP on February 6, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Reagan indeed ran up a huge bill on defense spending (600-ship Navy with refurbished battleships) and SDI (Star Wars).

It broke the back of the Soviet Union.

fiatboomer on February 6, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Will we have morning in America once again, or mourning for America? That choice is ours.

I thought it was halftime in America and we all need to buy a car to get Detroit back from the Chinese or something.

Seriously, there is no such thing as morning in America if you are leftist. Civil Rights will be perpetually the same as the 1950s. The poor are perpetually under-supported by society. There is no such thing as personal achievement (i.e. the state gave you what you have and you must be grateful for what they gave you). There is no such thing as American exceptionalism and our leaders need to bow and scrape to our enemies. The Constitution is merely a document written by dead white guys that should be ignored when inconvenient to the larger socialist agenda…. etc.

Being a leftist is to be living a very bitter life made the more annoying by the school marm lectures from a jug eared idiot who can’t even speak to sixth graders without a teleprompter.

Happy Nomad on February 6, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Crusty on February 6, 2012 at 1:02 PM

I have not read the posts you speak of, I did live in California when Ronald Reagan signed the 1968 landmark legislation for abortion here in the Golden State. I was a teenager. I voted for Reagan and I recall much of what occurred during that Presidency. He was a good President.

That being said, many of the legislation he signed during his Governorship would be considered very liberal by many of the posters here. The facts are out there, he was a Democrat once upon a time, too. As a matter of fact believe it or not Romney’s governorship was handled very similar to Reagan’s. Yet, they call Romney a RINO, Democrat lite, or my favorite Romney=Obama.

Nope, Reagan could not win an election today from these folks posting if his term as Governor of California was being factored in and his Presidency was in the future.

uhangtight on February 6, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Notorious GOP on February 6, 2012 at 1:18 PM

The drug war is something both sides bear responsibility for. What truly scars his record was the 1986 amnesty and machine gun ban.

MadisonConservative on February 6, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Really, Ed? 20 billion pictures of Reagan, and you pick one of the blurriest?

MadisonConservative on February 6, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Ed just grabs the first available screencap, unlike Allah, who must spend 15 minutes with some videos to get the right grab of Michelle Malkin or Sarah Palin smiling or various MSNBC hosts gawking with their eyes closed.

fiatboomer on February 6, 2012 at 1:29 PM

A great man! I wish…

tinkerthinker on February 6, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Happy Birthday, Mr. President.
You are sorely missed!

I was born in ’79… the year before you brought Morning back to America.

Our first daughter was born in 2011. I have no illusions that 2011 will be the year before a man like you comes along to help re-inspire America.

But, I do hold out hope that whoever it is the people choose to go against Barack “Jimmah” Obama will start the country back towards your vision.

Here’s to you, President Reagan!

RightWay79 on February 6, 2012 at 1:31 PM

fiatboomer on February 6, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Took 11 seconds.

MadisonConservative on February 6, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Great ad. Love the contrasting color vs. black-and-white (probably some racist code going on there). I suppose if we threw in clips of Romney they’d all be gray …

Unfortunately, to paraphrase President Reagan;

“It’s evening in America.”

ShainS on February 6, 2012 at 1:32 PM

> One vision sees America as a place of dependence,
> of static class divisions, where economic mobility
> is a thing of the past. The other sees America
> as a land of opportunity, where government’s role
> is only to ensure fair markets and fair access to
> them, and where success and economic mobility is
> available to anyone willing to work to achieve them.

None of Morrissey’s holier-than-thou preaching can disguise the fact that economic mobility has *DECREASED* since the 1980s. And children born to parents in the bottom 20% income group are nowadays less likely to move up in America than in Scandinavia, France, Germany or the UK.

The GOP is so out of touch with reality it does not realize this. But opinion polls suggest ordinary Americans have noticed the disconnect between tax cuts for the rich & “limited governments / fair markets”, and real economic mobility if you belong to the working or middle classes. It will be real fun to see Mitt Romney try to repeat Morrissey’s cliches in the fall:-)

MARCU$

mlindroo on February 6, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Took 11 seconds.

MadisonConservative on February 6, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Hey, I’m just trying to rationalize some of Ed’s more questionable main page photos. Let’s just agree he’s much more talented at writing.

fiatboomer on February 6, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Notorious GOP on February 6, 2012 at 1:18 PM

To discusss Reagan’s 105 billion dollar deficit next to this president’s annual 1-4 trillion dollar deficits is laughable in it’s face.

Reagan brought three bills to Congress to balance the budget, one that required one dollar of cuts for every new dollar of revenue raised. Reagan kept his bargain; revenues went from 600 billion to 1.5 trillion. Congress laughed, used the money on new programs, and collectively flipped the bird at the agreement.

itsspideyman on February 6, 2012 at 1:39 PM

I watched TV all day on the day of his funeral and was so moved by all the tributes, especially all the people alongside the road as he went to his resting place. They covered the bridges and carried flags. It was the most moving thing I have ever watched besides the death and funeral of JFK. I sobbed most of the time and I knew we would never see another like him. Happy Birthday, Mr. President. We miss you!

silvernana on February 6, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Happy Birthday Mr.President. Thank you sir. God Bless You and May You Rest in Peace.

D-Bar on February 6, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Thanks, Mirimichi!

Steven McGregor on February 6, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Great charity on your site Steve. Sending some hawkbucks that way.

hawkdriver on February 6, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Not for kings and queens in this age, but today is also the day that the queen’s father died.

One of the greatest pictures.

Schadenfreude on February 6, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Ronald Reagan: merely a bumb on the road in the inevitable drive to democratic socialism.

Reagan was a great man, an OK president, and ultimately ineffective in turning the domestic tide towards recapturing our Constitutional government.

Progressives won.

rickyricardo on February 6, 2012 at 1:57 PM

If you will indulge me for a moment, I’d like to tell a personal antidote about my son and President Reagan.

Born in 1982, he was a fussy, colicky baby, but whenever the President was on TV I could sit him in front of it and you wouldn’t hear a peep out of him. He was mesmerized by Reagan’s voice and I actually used the President as a baby sitter for him all during the time of his Presidency.

In 1986 when the bombing of Libya occurred, he put on his miniature army fatigues and combat helmet, grabbed his toy rifle, walked out of his bedroom and announced, he was “going to take care of the ‘Mad Dog of the Middle East’ for his President”.

As he grew into his teens he unfortunately got mixed up with the neo-nazi BS for a while. Yet on the day President Reagan died, he grieved as if it was a member of our family who had passed away.

Now, as a 29 yr old father of 2, I catch him once again listening to President Reagan’s speeches on youtube. He says they give him comfort in these troubling times.

*wipes tears from eyes*

Thank you for letting me share these very special memories of a great man who played a large part in shaping another great man.

Flora Duh on February 6, 2012 at 1:58 PM

rickyricardo on February 6, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Then stick to the sidelines and don’t annoy us while we still fight.

itsspideyman on February 6, 2012 at 2:01 PM

uhangtight on February 6, 2012 at 1:28 PM

You may have lived their, but you don’t know your history…Reagan never said he was not a Republican, never ran away from that title, he ran as a Republican, and was proud of it…a big, huge, difference that Mitt.

Reagan served in the United States Army Air Force.

during his first term Reagan temporarily stopped government hiring to slow the growth of the state workforce

worked with the Democratic majority in the state legislature to enact a major reform of the welfare system in 1971. The reform reduced the number of people receiving state aid

Reagan chaired the Republican Governors Association from 1968 to 1969.

right2bright on February 6, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Happy Birthday Mr. President. I was born 3 months after you took office in 1981, but my parents who both immigrated from Cuba, were honored to vote for you twice.

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 6, 2012 at 2:05 PM

hanzblinx on February 6, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Apparently you earned nothing about “that man” in school or what you did learn was nothing more than liberal bias. Let me educate you.

1980 was not much different from today. We had a failed President, a failed congress and people had lost faith in America. We were fighting the Cold War, Americans were being held hostage in Iran, Inflation, unemployment and interest rates were through the roof and Jimmy Carter sat before us in a sweater and told us that it was our fault, that we were guilty of ‘Malaise.”

The only reason that you have any semblance of the American Dream still alive is because the last time it was on the brink of extinction, Ronald Reagan lifted us up and lead us back to our founding principles and restored our faith in America.

Today, we sit again on the brink of decline. If you do not understand the importance and significance of “that man“, then you are in for a bleak future.

Our history ALWAYS leads to our future. To not educate yourself about the REAL Ronald Reagan is to dismiss the most important political figure in the last half of the twentieth century. Ronald Reagan, along with Pope John Paul II, freed millions from the tyranny of communism. And at home, he restored the promise of America.

America would do well at this time to remember “that man” Ronald Reagan.

fight like a girl on February 6, 2012 at 2:06 PM

‘I’m from the government and I’m here to help.’” President RONALD REAGAN

The nine scariest words…

right2bright on February 6, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Out of the 4 GOP candidates, which one can you imagine would be most likely to give a message like this today? Least likely?

Flora Duh on February 6, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Flora Duh on February 6, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Least likely is too easy: Mittens

Most Likely: Newt

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 6, 2012 at 2:12 PM

America would do well at this time to remember “that man” Ronald Reagan.

fight like a girl on February 6, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Well said.

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 6, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Reagan hasn’t been President since 1989. It’s time to look forward, not back.

lostmotherland on February 6, 2012 at 2:14 PM

His “amnesty” program, which was not an “amnesty” but a pathway to legal residence, helped millions.
I was running a large manufacturing company, and mostly Hispanic, they were being taken advantage of by scamming attorneys for paperwork.
I set up a program with the local university, to teach them English, teach them the constitution, and we found attorneys that for a small fee would do the paperwork.
I paid for each of my employees who qualified, and 136 in all, at about $150 for paperwork and the classes…the best money ever spent.
We had 136 proud American’s, on their way to citizenship, each one buying a house, car, taxes, contributing to America, and each one grateful to Reagan, and the Republican’s.
One young girl, whose husband had been taken out on the lawn in El Salvadore, shot on the lawn, and the body left their for days as a reminder not to speak ill of the wrong people (her kids literally had to step over the body to go to school)…she was not given “asylum” because it was deemed “non-political” since a politician could not be named. She was one of the first that I chose.
Reagan knew the right way…but of course the democrats lied to him, and never fulfilled their promise to him, and decimated the bill as soon as they had control.

right2bright on February 6, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Man o man do I miss him. Happy Birthday Sir! Well worth a watch.

Bmore on February 6, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Reagan hasn’t been President since 1989. It’s time to look forward, not back.

lostmotherland on February 6, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Too bad you can’t learn from the past…it would help you avoid problems in the future…

right2bright on February 6, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I take a back seat to no one in my admiration for the man and his presidency. I learned many things during his tenure, not least of which was the dishonesty in reportage both in his 1980 campaign and during his two administrations. That being said, I think many people forget that he was both a thinker and a liberal man(in the best and truest sense of the word.) I think he would be dismayed at the frequent invocation of his name by other politicians, as though saying his name guarantees their conservative bona fides. I also think that many conservatives think President Reagan was anti-government – he absolutely was not. To think that the man, chief executive of the two largest governments in the country, abhorred government is silly. He respected government enough to know it had a role, a limited role, but also a vital role. I also believe there was almost no hatred in his heart, something other so-called conservatives should seek to emulate.

Sheerq on February 6, 2012 at 2:20 PM

You’re still missed Mr President.

rjulio on February 6, 2012 at 2:30 PM

silvernana on February 6, 2012 at 1:40 PM

I remember going to Santa Monica to be along with the crowds standing out side of the Morturary paying tribute. Took my kids, toddlers at the time, it was very moving.

Reagan was truly a historic figure in my life time: Actor, Governor and President. I paid tribute to all that day.

uhangtight on February 6, 2012 at 2:31 PM

fight like a girl on February 6, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Well said!

silvernana on February 6, 2012 at 2:45 PM

silvernana on February 6, 2012 at 1:40 PM

uhangtight on February 6, 2012 at 2:31 PM

That must have been a very moving experience to be a part of. I wish I had a DVD of the whole day on Fox.

silvernana on February 6, 2012 at 2:54 PM

KeninCT on February 6, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Somebody call the Grenada Asylum. One of their escapees in Connecticut is having second thoughts hallucinations.

viking01 on February 6, 2012 at 3:02 PM

The Ronald Reagan Legacy

And before the accusation is made, no, Newt Gingrich did not approve my message.

Flora Duh on February 6, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Reagan was not only a great leader but an inspiration to those multitudes badly harmed by Peanut the First’s arrogant socialist blunders that the economic, defense and mindset disasters Peanut set in place were reversible and were being corrected.

What the nation needs now is not only another Reaganesque great leader but an inspiration that Peanut the Second’s arrogant communist blunders are reversible and will be corrected.

viking01 on February 6, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Happy Birthday, President Reagan.

Could you please stop imitating a dreidel – at least until Hanukkah? I swear, we really are trying to fix this mess …

RedPepper on February 6, 2012 at 3:11 PM

I don’t begrudge you righties your tendency to venerate the man and overlook his shortcomings (Lord knows my side does enough of that with JFK)but this country sure could use the reality-based Republicanism of Reagan’s day.

Drew Lowell on February 6, 2012 at 3:13 PM

fiatboomer on February 6, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Reagan wasn’t perfect, but he was a true conservative. The only people pushing the line that he wasn’t a true conservative are the ones defending someone who just doesn’t measure up, and trying to justify their failings by complaining about Reagan’s few faults.

Strangely, most of them are Romney supporters.

tom on February 6, 2012 at 3:22 PM

How fortunate this nation…and the free world…had Ronald Reagan in the White House. A leader like him comes along once in a man’s lifetime. We keep looking for the next “Gipper”, and realize he set the hurdle pretty dang high.

JetBoy on February 6, 2012 at 3:25 PM

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”

~ Ronald Wilson Reagan

“Government’s view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidise it.”

~ Ronald Wilson Reagan

There is only one guaranteed way you can have peace – and you can have it in the next second – surrender.”

~ Ronald Wilson Reagan

“For decades, we have piled deficit upon deficit, mortgaging our future and our children’s future for the temporary convenience of the present. To continue this long trend is to guarantee tremendous social, cultural, political, and economic upheavals. You and I, as individuals, can, by borrowing, live beyond our means, but for only a limited period of time. Why, then, should we think that collectively, as a nation, we are not bound by that same limitation? We must act today in order to preserve tomorrow.”

~ Ronald Wilson Reagan ; First Inaugural Address, January 20, 1981

RedPepper on February 6, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Aizen on February 6, 2012 at 1:24 PM

BINGO and perzactamundo CORRECT!

Since HA has it’s share of so-called “taxsperts” like lots of other WWW locales…………I’ll pose this question once again – I’ve never received a definitive NOR correct response no matter how many times I’ve posted it:

Which of you tax / economic “experts” can elucidate for us mere mortals the difference between:

a TAX cut

and

a tax RATE cut

*insert final Jeopardy theme here*

Katfish on February 6, 2012 at 3:26 PM

JetBoy on February 6, 2012 at 3:25 PM

This why I wish Michael Reagan would run for governor of California, acquire executive experience, and within the next 10 yrs run for president.

Flora Duh on February 6, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Notorious GOP on February 6, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Fine. I’ll talk about it.

Reagan came to office with three big goals:
1) Fix the horribly broken economy
2) Close the gap in defense with the Soviets
3) Fix the deficit

Fixing the economy required big tax cuts to stimulate the economy. That made it hard to fix problem #3, because there would be a short-term deficit between the tax cuts being enacted and the stimulus effect

Closing the defense gap require huge amounts of spending. This also made it hard to fix problem #3, because at exactly the time we needed to be cutting spending to fix the deficit, we would instead have to spend even more.

So Reagan reluctantly accepted that accomplishing the first two goals would require sacrificing the third for a time.

But the economy absolutely had to be fixed, and that would eventually lead to fixing the deficit. And it did, but in Bush 41′s term of office. It probably would have happened in 1991, and Bush 41 would have been swept into office for a second term, if he hadn’t caved to Democrat demands and raised taxes, which set the progress back by about a year.

Which is why Clinton claimed credit for balancing the budget, even though the first budget he proposed had not even been adopted when he was claiming this credit.

IOW, when Clinton called it the worst economy in 50 years, he was lying through his teeth.

tom on February 6, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Reagan: the last Republican/conservative to actually stand up to the left.

joey24007 on February 6, 2012 at 3:48 PM

hanzblinx on February 6, 2012 at 12:47 PM

History didn’t start with your birth, kid.

And honoring a great man isn’t “messing around”.

Solaratov on February 6, 2012 at 3:53 PM

History didn’t start with your birth, kid.

And honoring a great man isn’t “messing around”.

Solaratov on February 6, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Young people’s lack of a true knowledge of history is frightening.

fight like a girl on February 6, 2012 at 4:22 PM

I have a relative who is a teacher and she showed me what the 9th grade American history book said about Reagan. There was a page and a half that talked about Iran-Contra, deficits and how he “walked away” from nuclear arms talks with the Russians.

I kid you not.

fight like a girl on February 6, 2012 at 4:27 PM

The Gipper.

Miss you Mr. President.

Tim_CA on February 6, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Happy Birthday to the greatest President since Abraham Lincoln!

jfs756 on February 6, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Progressives won.

rickyricardo on February 6, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Not as long as one free man remains to carry on the fight.

Solaratov on February 6, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Ww’re still here today to fight because of Reagan. No one leader can rescue any people for all eternity, but Reagan gave us the opportunities we needed the most.

Because of Reagan, it’s still up to us. That can be said of very few other national leaders, even American ones.

J.E. Dyer on February 6, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Happy birthday, Gipper. Proud to have cast my first vote for you and again. Sad for America that another has yet to be nominated nor elected to fill your shoes. It mayyet happen, but not with this current crop. :(

AH_C on February 6, 2012 at 7:40 PM

hanzblinx on February 6, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Explains why you comment like a kos-kid punk. You haven’t a clue about how the Rockefellerian elites brought us to Carter and his misery index. Ronaldus Maximus fought the good fight and showed the way forward in spite of the quisling elites. And now y’all want to nominate another squish that to date still doesn’t see what the Gipper saw?

Carry on. It looks like the spirit of Reagan will have to be passed on to the conservative 3rd party.

AH_C on February 6, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Ronald Reagan is one of my heroes. He stood strong and tall when we needed it most. The day of his funeral, I got emotionally drained and exhausted from all the tears I cried. He was the second president I voted for (the first was Gerald Ford in 1976–I knew what Jimmeh Cattah stood for). The early years of my marriage were lived in the confidence that we were safe under the leadership of a trustworthy and great man. His voice always comforted me; his words were powerful and spoke truth. When he was shot I lived in fear to know whether he would survive it (and was horrified years later to learn how close we came to losing him at that time). And when the Space Shuttle Challenger exploded, his was the calming presence that helped us mourn our loss. I remember watching the funeral for the astronauts and seeing him hug the family members; I was touched to tears at his compassion.

Oh yeah, we can snark about the things he did wrong to try to dampen love and enthusiasm for his legacy, but truly–would any of the snarkers like to be remembered for what they did wrong rather than what they did right, especially if most of what they lived for were some of the best, enduring goals you could strive for–freedom and liberty itself?

God bless his memory, and may we someday be blessed with another one so true and larger than life.

theotherone on February 6, 2012 at 8:24 PM